Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 10 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 10 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ship with a Mr. Kendall, under the firm name of the
Kendall Shoe Company, Inc., and this is now one of
the important industries of Haverhill. Mr. Ridlon is a
member of the Knights of Pythias ; of the Grange ; the
Improved Order of Red Men ; and of the Loyal Order
of Moose. For three years he was a member of Com-
pany F, Eighth Massachusetts Regiment.

Mr. Ridlon married, in 1905, Elizabeth McLaughlin,



THE NEW 'fOHK
PUBLIC LIBRARY

, ASTOR, l-ENOX

1 TILDEN FOONDATIONSJ




A'Moa^^^ S. ^g^^j^^^^t^



BIOGRAPHICAL



325



of Haverhill, daughter of John and Janet McLaughhn,
natives of Scotland. Mr. and Mrs. Ridlon are the
parents of five children: Janet E., Mary F., Percy H.,
Donald L., and James B. With his family he attends
the Trinity Episcopal Church of Haverhill.



William H. Redfern. Another child, Mildred, died in
1910. Mr. Redfern and his family attend the Central
Methodist Church, of Lawrence.



WILLIAM E. REDFERN, of the Bellevue Monu-
mental Works, of Lawrence, Massachusetts, was born
December 7, 1870, in Meriden, Connecticut, son of
William H. and Elizabeth (Shepley) Redfern. Wil-
liam H. Redfern was a veteran of the Civil War, serv-
ing in Company A, loth New York Heavy Artillery, and
was wounded at the battle of Petersburg Heights; he
is now deceased. The mother of Mr. Redfern makes
her home in Providence, Rhode Island. His father was
engaged for many years in the retail shoe business in
Woonsocket, retiring in later life to farming.

When William E. Redfern was a small boy his par-
ents removed to Woonsocket, Rhode Island, and there
he attended school at North Smithfield, and resided
there until he was seventeen years of age. For a few
years Mr. Redfern was employed in a textile mill,
becoming overseer and having the direction of eighty-
five girls. In 1890 he began his apprenticeship at the
stone cutting trade. Five years later he went to South
Framingham and worked at the same occupation ; at
the end of two years he was foreman of the works.
In March, 1S97, Mr. Redfern founded his present busi-
ness in Lawrence, the Bellevue Monumental Works. In
this venture he met with success, which has increased
steadily with the passing years. For a quarter of a
century he has been cutting monuments in Lawrence
and is widely known for the high class workmanship of
his product, and is doing one of the largest businesses
in this section of the State.

In 1887 Mr. Redfern joined Company A, Sons of
Veterans Guards, which later was known as Company
L, First Rhode Island Militia. After serving six years
he was discharged with the rank of first sergeant He
then joined Company E, 6th Massachusetts Militia, at
Framingham, and ser\'ed two years, attaining the rank
of corporal. In 1914 he was elected second lieutenant
of Company L, 8th Massachusetts National Guard, Feb-
ruary 23, 1914, and April 13, 1916, received his com-
mission of first lieutenant and was sent to the Mexican
Border on June 19, 1916. Mr. Redfern served in the
World War as first lieutenant, being stationed at Lynn-
field. Massachusetts. He is a charter member of John
A. Brackett Camp, Sons of Veterans, and is now sec-
retary of that organization.

In fraternal afiiliation Mr. Redfern is a Mason, and is
past master of Phoenician Lodge. He is a thirty-sec-
ond degree Mason of the Scottish Rites ; member of
Mt. Sinai Chapter, Royal Arch Masons ; Lawrence
Council, Royal and Select Masters, Bethany Command-
ery. Knights Templar, of which he is adjutant; and
Aleppo Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine. He is worthy patron of Lawrence Chap-
ter, Order of the Eastern Star. Mr. Redfern instructs
the cadets of the Methuen High School in military tac-
tics in addition to his many other interests.

On November 24, 1898, at Woonsocket, Mr. Redfern
married Ida E. Orchard, daughter of William Orchard,
of that place, and their children are: Doris E., and



LEVERETT PIERCE— The Pierce family records
date back in Colonial annals to the seventeenth cen-
tury, and the generations from that of the American
ancestor to that of Leverett Pierce, manufacturer of
Lynn, Massachusetts, have given many capable men to
the nation, among them Franklin Pierce, fourteenth
President of the United States.

Leverett Pierce, father of our subject, was born in
Hardwick, Massachusetts, and died in 1882. He was a
farmer for the greater part of his life, but during the
Civil War was in military service, taking part in most
of the major battles of that long military struggle, and
eventually becoming a veteran. He was a member of
the loth Massachusetts Regiment. He married Mary
L. Benoit, of the Massachusetts family of that name.
She died in 1890.

Leverett Pierce, son of Leverett and Mary L. (Ben-
oit) Pierce, was born in Ware. Massachusetts, on
February 18, 1873. He was educated in the public
schools of Natick. After leaving school he entered a
shoe factory, that of J. W. Walcott, at Natick. For him
he worked for about two years, then returned to his
native place, where he remained for about a year.
Next he was at North Brookfield, Massachusetts, and
there for nine years was in the factory of E. A. & A. H.
Batchellor, for the last two years as machine adjuster.
In 1901 he came to Lynn, and for more than two years
thereafter was machine adjuster for A. E. Little, of that
city. In 1903 he became connected with the Singer
Company of Lynn. With tliat company he remained
imtil 1916, for the last five years as foreman of the
repair department. However, in 1916, he decided to
venture into business for himself, or rather into a busi-
ness partnership. He associated with Joseph M. Hatch,
and they jointly formed the firm of Hatch & Pierce.
The firm later became the J. H. Naugle Machine Com-
pany, as has elsewhere been noted in the volume, Mr.
Hatch being the president, Mr. Pierce vice-president and
treasurer. Their line of manufacture is shoe machin-
ery, and they specialize in shoe stitching machinery.
They have the largest business in that line in the city,
it is stated.

Mr. Pierce married, in 1896, Bertha A. Lamson,
daughter of J. D. and Mary A. (Partridge) Lamson,
of North Brookfield, where the former was baggage
master for many years. He died in 1900, but Mrs.
Lamson, who was of a Leicester, Massachusetts, fam-
ily, is still living. Mr. and Mrs. Pierce have one child,
Pauline L., who is now the wife of Everett C. Howe;
they reside in Lynn.



FREDERICK B. DAY - The Union Blacking Com-
pany, of Lynn, Massachusetts, was established in 1899,
and incorporated in 1905. The first president of the
company was J. G. Redshaw, who remained connected
with it and in that office until his death in 1912. After
his death his son, J. G. Redshaw, Jr., was made pres-
ident, but resigned in 191 7. Frederick B. Day then
becoming president. Later in that year, when Mr. Day
left to join the United States army for service during



326



ESSEX COUNTY



the World War, George S. Rouse was made president,
Mr. Day becoming treasurer.

Frederick B. Day was born in East Boston, Massa-
chusetts, May II, 1893, the son of Frederick W. and
Fannie M. (Lewis) Day, of East Boston, Massachu-
setts. His father was a druggist there until his death,
which occurred in 1900. The son, Frederick B., was edu-
cated in the public schools of Boston, and graduated
from the high school in the class of 1908. After further
preparatory study, he entered Harvard University,
where he continued his studies for three years. For
the ne.xt four or five years he engaged in business,
gaining a varied experience of commercial life. For
two years after leaving college he was in Akron, Ohio,
and there was connected with the auto tire industry of
that place.

During the World War he enlisted in the Tank Corps.
He was honorably discharged in April, 1919, and soon
afterwards resumed his position as a member of the
Union Blacking Company, Inc. That connection he
still holds. The plant and offices of the company are
at No. 49 Oxford street, Lynn. Mr. Day is a Protes-
tant. He is unmarried.



Mr. Pingree is a Republican ; and is a member of
the American Legion, and Knights of Columbus, of
Haverhill. He attends the Nativity Roman Catholic
Church of Merrimac.



FRANK PERRY PINGREE, of Merrimac, Massa-
chusetts, an ex-service man, who is entitled to wear
iUree wound chevrons and many battleclasps, was born
in Lawrence, Massachusetts, on June 23, 1898. He
comes of a family well known in that part of Massa-
chusetts. His grandfather, Isaac Pingree, was origi-
nally of Nova Scotia, but eventually of Massachusetts.
He was an engineer until he retired in 1892. His wife,
Martha (Furbush) Pingree, who is still living, was born
in Eliot, Maine. Their son, Frank C. Pingree, was
born in Lawrence, Massachusetts. For the last thirty-
five years he has been in the employ of the Boston &
Maine Railroad Company, at Lawrence. He married
Clara Dawley, of Woonsocket, Rhode Island, but later
of Lawrence, Massachusetts. Their son, Frank P. Pin-
gree, is now of Merrimac.

Frank P. Pingree was educated in the schools of
Lawrence and Haverhill, Massachusetts, and after
leaving school went into the employ of Fred Mears, a
dairyman. That has been Mr. Pingree's line of busi-
ness ever since, though for some time before enlisting,
in 1917, he was in business for himself, as a milk and
dairy products dealer in Haverhill. The nation entered
a state of war with Germany in 1917, and in July of
that year young Pingree enlisted in the loist Massa-
chusetts Field Artillery, and was assigned to the Sup-
ply Company of that regiment. For some time the regi-
ment was stationed at Boxford, Massachusetts, but
went overseas in September, 191 7, and between that
time and the end of the war, participated in most of
the hardest fighting in which American troops were
engaged. Mr. Pingree was present in the following
major battles: Toul sector, Chateau-Thierry, St. Mihiel,
Verdun, and Argonne Forest. He was wounded tliree
times in action, and was not discharged from military
hospitals until April 30, 1919. He reached the grade of
wagoner during his military service, and holds a cer-
tificate of honorable discharge. Soon after entering civil
life again he returned to dairying, and now has a good
business of his own in Merrimac.



EDWARD DIERAUER was born at Boston, Mas-
sachusetts, on June 27, 1895, and is a son of August T.
and Katherine (Frye) Dierauer, both of whom were
natives of Switzerland. Mr. Dierauer's father, who was
a designer, died in 1906.

Mr. Dierauer received his early education in the pub-
lic schools of Haverhill, Massachusetts. He was a
member of the graduating class of the Haverhill High
School of 1913, and immediately after his graduation
proceeded to the Bryant & Stratton Business College of
Boston, where he completed a full course of study,
graduating in 1915.

Mr. Dierauer entered the business world as a book-
keeper for the United Shoe Company at Beverly, Mas-
sachusetts. He held this position for one year and a
half and then entered the service of Pendergast, Mar-
tin & Company, manufacturers of shoes, with whom he
remained until July i, 1919. On that date he became
the president of the Martin, Dierauer Company, Inc.
Mr. Dierauer owes nothing to luck, but everything to
industry and an intelligent use of opportunities that
lay before him. Becoming president of a company at
the age of twenty-four, he is perhaps the youngest of
the Haverhill group of manufacturers. His company
specializes in the production of ladies' fine turn shoes,
and the factory at No. 64 Wingate street, has a capacity
of si.x hundred pairs a day.

Mr. Dierauer is a member of the First Congrega-
tional Church. He is a Mason, and belongs to various
Masonic bodies, including the Aleppo Shrine and the
Knights Templar. He is a member of the Agawam
Club. Having pronounced musical tastes, Mr. Dierauer
is a valued member of the Shrine band and has been
connected with various musical organizations since
1909. He is unmarried.



CAPTAIN GEORGE FRANKLIN CORNING—

From the year 1865, when as a lad of twelve years he
entered the British marine service, until 1884, when his
ship, the "Vendome." was burned on the North Sea,
George Franklin Corning followed the sea, becoming
master at the age of twenty-six. His first ship, the
"Novara," burned at sea March 8, 1882, and his last
ship, the "Vendome," met the same fate two years later,
his wife and infant son being on board, but although
the ship burned to the water's edge, all on board were
rescued by a British vessel and landed in safety In
Rotterdam, These two experiences coming so closely
together decided Captain Corning to abandon the sea,
and he located in his home town, Lynn, Massachusetts,
where he engaged in the restaurant business until his
passing nearly forty years later. He was a son of
Daniel B. and Margaret (Goodwin) Corning, who at
the time of the birth of their son, George F., were
residing at Beaver River, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia,
George F. being one of the younger sons of the family.
George F. Coming was born April 25, 1853, and died
in Lynn, Massachusetts. February 7, 1922. His school
years ending at the age of twelve, his seafaring life



THE NE"W VOKK
^'rBLIC LIBRARY



ASTOR, LENOX
OEN FOOMDATIOKS|





^^^^^^-Oi^



BIOGRAPHICAL



327



then began. His brother Joseph was captain of a
ship, and with him the lad first sailed. He became in
time an able seaman, then an officer, and finally, in 1879,
at the age of twenty-six, was appointed captain of the
new British ship, "Novara." He sailed that ship suc-
cessfully for two years, then in November, sailed from
Shields, England, with a cargo of coal, coke, bricks
and potash, to l>e delivered at San Francisco, California.
All went well until March 8, 1882, when smoke was
seen issuing from the hatches, which revealed spontan-
eous combustion of the cargo. The hatches were bat-
tered down and made tight the pumps set at work,
and everything possible was done to extinguish the fire,
but without avail. The crew began making all neces-
sary preparations for leaving the vessel. On the morn-
ing of March 13th, the flames first appeared around
the mainmast. On the evening of that day, about six
o'clock, the vessel was abandoned. There were three
boats in all that left the ship. Captain Coming was in
one boat, with nine men and a dog. In another boat
was the first mate, and in the third and smallest boat,
the second mate and three men. The three boats kept
as close together as possible, sailing thus for two days,
but on the third day, Captain Corning and his crew
lost sight of the others. The weather was good most
of the time, and on March 22nd. a sail was sighted,
which proved to be the American ship "Republic," Cap-
tain Holmes, from Liverpool, bound for Wilmington,
California. They reached San Francisco April i8th,
and there telegraphed the owner first information of the
disaster.

On his return to his home port, Captain Corning was
put in command of another new ship, the "Vendome."
After his marriage, Mrs. Corning accompanied her hus-
band on several voyages, the last being in 1887, when
the "Vendome," bound for New York to Amsterdam,
was burned in the North Sea, and Mrs. Corning, with
her infant son, Grover T., together with the ship's com-
pany, were rescued by the British barge "Stillwater,"
and landed in Rotterdam.

Shortly after this last disaster Captain Corning aban-
doned the sea, locating in Lynn, Massachusetts, where
he entered the restaurant business, forming a partner-
ship with his father-in-law, James Wyman, they con-
ducting VVyman's Restaurant, at Munroe and Washing-
ton streets, very successfully until the death of the
senior partner, when Captain Corning continued the
business under the same firm name. For thirty-one
years he was a member of Washington Street Baptist
Church, and was a man highly esteemed and greatly
beloved.

Captain Corning married. May 3, 1884, in Lynn, Mas-
sachusetts, Florence N. Wyman, daughter of James
and Adelaide S. Wyman, and they arc the parents of a
daughter, Florence Gladys, and of two sons, Grover
Trites, born in 1887, who was in the disaster at sea
with his parents, later serving in the Aviation Corps of
the United States navy during the World War, 1917-18;
and Douglass Duval, also an aviator of the United
States army, 1917-18, having the rank of ensign; he
was an aviator instructor at Pensacola, Florida. Mrs.
Coming survives her husband, and resides at No. 58
Hamilton street.



BYZANT J. MANOOGIAN, M. D.— The man of

merit and distinction, who by his own efforts has
attained a prominent position in any field and by his
personal worth commands a high place, is certainly
deserving of biographic honors, and as such a one we
present Dr. Byzant J. Manoogian. Especial comment
is unnecessary as to his high standing in the community
in which he has located his field of activity, but the
outline of his career cannot fail to be of interest.

Born in Ada-Bazar, Turkey, March 18, 1878, Byzant
J. Manoogian is a son of John and Denchali Manoogian.
He obtained his elementary education in the American
schools which had been established in Bardezag, Tur-
key. In 1896 he came to the United States, where for
two years he was employed in Butler Hospital, at
Providence, Rhode Island, then accepted a position as a
male nurse in the Massachusetts General Hospital at
Boston, for two years ; later he worked on a farm in
New Jersey, then engaged in the blacksmith trade for
five years. In 1907 he entered Boston University, where
he received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1911.
He then served an interneship of a few months at the
Massachusetts Homoeopathic Hospital at Boston, after
which he established himself in the active practice of his
profession in this city for alx)ut six months, subse-
quently coming to Peabody, to his present location. No.
16 Washington street.

Dr. Manoogian is a member of the American Med-
ical Association, the Massachusetts Medical Association,
the Massachusetts Surgical and Gynecological Associ-
ation, the New England Association of Physical Ther-
apeutics, and is a member of the staff of the Thomas
Hospital. In politics he is a Republican, but has never
sought political office. Dr. Manoogian is a member of
the Peabody Doctors' Club.

On August 31, 1910, Dr. Manoogian was united in
marriage with Margaret Annie McLauflin, of Hamil-
ton, Massachusetts ; she was a graduate nurse of the
Massachusetts General Hospital of Boston. To Dr. and
Mrs. Manoogian have been born four children: Olive
M., Byzant Gregory, Haig Richardson, and Robert
Chambers.

It is difficult to foretell the future of a successful
physician who is still in early middle life, but with his
natural ability and exceptional attainments Dr. Man-
oogian seems to give promise for a brilliant future.



LEWIS OF LYNN— For thirty-eight years Joseph
Carleton Lewis has been in business in Lynn, Massa-
chusetts, as a sign painter. He is undoubtedly the pio-
neer sign painter of Lynn, and is, it is believed, the
pioneer in that line in the whole of Essex county.

Mr. Lewis is a native of Lynn, born in the city on
January 13, 1863, son of John C. and Susan M. (Alley)
Lewis. His mother died in 1898, and his father, who
was a shoe maker, died in 1912.

Joseph C. Lewis attended Lynn schools in his boy-
hood, and was also a student at Ingall's School. Enter-
ing upon a business career, it was not long before he
became confident that he was more adapted for artis-
tic work than any other. He was only twenty years
old when he went into business for himself in Lynn,
as a sign painter, trading under his own name. His



328



ESSEX COUNTY



place of business at the outset was on Market street.
From there he moved to Central Square, and subse-
quently to No. 150 Monroe street, which was destined
to be his business address for twenty-five years. His
next move was to No. 27 Central avenue, and later to
No. 153 Oxford street, and finally to his present address,
No. 71 Monroe street. In all his long association with
the business people of Essex county it probably cannot
be said that he was wittingly guilty of poor workman-
ship. Indeed, had he not given general satisfaction, he
could not have held a good business connection for so
many years. Generally he has had the confidence of all
who have had need of anytliing in his line. In the main,
his business has consisted of commercial signs and
show cards, electric signs, and poster advertising of all
kinds. It is safe to say that he has at some time done
work for almost every well-established company in the
Lynn district.

Mr. Lewis is an active fraternal member, belonging
to all the Masonic bodies up to the Shrine; to the local
body of the Improved Order of Red Men; and the
Ancient Order of United Workmen. He also is a
member of the Swampscott Masonic Club. He belongs
to the Lynn Chamber of Commerce, to the Kiwanis Club,
and also to the Young Men's Christian Association.

Mr. Lewis married, in 1889, Annie Florence Churchill,
of Lynn, daughter of William and Sarah E. (Clarke)
Churchill, the former a Lynn police officer. Mr. and
Mrs. Lewis have one child, a son. Earl C, who was
born in 1893. He served in the naval forces during the
World War, enlisting in the United States navy in
1917. Soon afterwards he was assigned to duty at the
submarine base. New London, Connecticut, as machin-
ist's mate. Before he was discharged from the navy
he had risen to commissioned rank, being an ensign in
the latter part of his service. He was honorably dis-
charged as such in April, 1919. He is now mechanical
engineer for the General Electric Company.



FRANK A. BRYANT, manufacturer, of Amesbury,
Massachusetts, is a native son of that town, where he
was born September 12, 1889, the son of George W.
and Mary (Higgins) Bryant. In 1907 he graduated
from the high school, then attended Ainsley Academy,
and later Bryant & Stratton's Business College, gradu-
ating in 1910. Soon after this time he entered the
employ of Biddle & Smart, of Amesbury, as stock clerk,
then worked his way upward until he became purchas-
ing agent, so continuing until the outbreak of the
World War. Mr. Bryant was among the first to vol-
unteer his services, and he was commissioned first lieu-
tenant of the .\viation Corps.

Upon his return to civil life Mr. Bryant became a
partner of the firm of the Bryant Body Company, Inc.,
builders of automobile bodies, the following the officers
of the company: President, J. J. O'Brien; vice-presi-
dent, James H. Walker; treasurer, Frank A. Bryant;
secretary, James Miller. Mr. Bryant is a member of
the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and of
the Amesbury Club.



forty years I have been in the same business, in the same
city and on the same street in which I started." Now
the business is the oldest of its kind in the United
States.

Frank Eddy Dudley was bom in Candia, New Hamp-
shire, April 10, 1864, of parents who were both bom in,
and were long residents of that State. The father,
Alvin Dana Dudley, and mother, Judith C. (Cook)
Dudley, were well known and loved dwellers in Candia.
Coming to Haverhill, Massachusetts, Alvin Dana and
.A. J. Dudley (the latter an elder brother) engaged in
trade, and during the year 1873 formed a partnership
concern for the manufacturing of ladies' slipper trim-
mings, ribbons, buckles, etc.

Frank Eddy Dudley, after the usual period of school
work, began, in 1880, that which has since been his voca-
tion, at that time entering the employ of his father and
brother. Beginning at the very bottom, he put in ten
years of steady endeavor before being admitted to the
firm. In 1905 came the death of Alvin Dana Dudley,
and two years later A. J. Dudley was taken, leaving the
business to be carried on by Frank E. Dudley and
Charles Dana Dudley, his nephew, who, in 1905, became
a member of the concern. Frank E. Dudley is now
(1921) president and general manager. His unremit-
ting endeavors have led to a large expansion of the
firm's trade, and they now have branch agencies at
Rochester, New York, Burlington, New Jersey, and
Montreal, Canada. In 1923 the company will celebrate
its fiftieth anniversary.

Mr. Dudley's political interest is as a Republican; he
is a member of the Pentucket Club and of the Cham-
ber of Commerce. He holds religious fellowship with
the Universalist church.

Mr. Dudley married, in Haverhill, Alice B. Bishof, a
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Brown Bishof, of
Haverhill, Massachusetts. Mr. Bishof is the well-known



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 10 of 56)