Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 11 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 11 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


gentleman who for twenty-four years served as county
commissioner of Essex county, Massachusetts, and acted
for many years as chairman of the board, and in retir-
ing from this office, left a surplus of many thousands
of dollars in the county treasury as a result of his able
supervision. Mr. and Mrs. Dudley are the parents of
three daughters : i. Linda, now the wife of George
Sisavick, residing in Staft'ord Springs, Connecticut, he
being engaged in the bond business. They have three
daughters : Vera, Beatrice and Mildred. 2. Evelyn,
who married (first) Walter S. Wright, who passed
away in 1918, and by this union there is one daughter,
Janice; Mrs. Wright married (second), in 1920, C. T.
W. Tigh, and they reside in Riverside, Connecticut,
where he is connected with the bond business. 3. Alice,
the wife of Raymond R. McCormond ; they reside in
Wallingford, Connecticut, where he is professor of
mathematics in Choat School. By this union there are
three children: Alice, Raymond R., Jr., and Jean.



FRANK EDDY DUDLEY— In this day of varying
occupations and rapid business changes it is unusual for
a man to be able to say, as can Mr. Dudley : "For over



HAROLD MABRE WATERHOUSE, of Merri-

mac, Massachusetts, conies of an old Merrimac family
on his father's side, while his maternal lineage leads
back, in American generations, to the earliest decades of
the Massachusetts colony, and earlier to the Virginia
colony.

Harold M. Waterhouse was born in Merrimac, Sep-



BIOGRAPHICAL



329



tember 20, 1899, son of Charles L. and Isabelle Nichols
(Sargent) Waterhouse, both natives of Merrimac, and
grandson of Alvin M. Waterhouse, who was born in
Enfield, New Hampshire, but was in business in Merri-
mac, as a carriage builder, almost until his death, which
occurred in 1900.

The maternal descent in the Sargent family is worthy
of record in civic, military, academic, and literary annals
of colony, state and nation. The progenitor of Amer-
ican generations of the Sargent family was Richard
Sargent, an officer in the Royal navy of Great Britain.
He was born in England, son of William Sargent, and
was early in the colony of Virginia, and is of record in
the Ipswich, Massachusetts, colony about 1634. About
1636 he removed to Salisbury, Massachusetts. He was
born in 1602, and died in 1675. The first-born of his
ten children was Thomas Sargent, who was born in
1643, at Aniesbury, and died in 1706. aged sixty -two
years. It is thought probable that he lived at Bear
Hill, where members of Merrimac branches of the Sar-
gent family still hold estate. Thomas Sargent married
Rachel Barnes, of Amesbury, in 1668, and they had ten
children. The descent is again in the eldest son,
Thomas Sargent, Jr., who was bom in i66g. He married
Mary Stevens, of West Amesbury, in 1702, and died
in 1719. The oldest son, Moses Sargent, born in West
Amesbury, in 1707, married Sarah Bagley, in 1727.
Their oldest son, Christopher Sargent, was born in
West Amesbury, in 1740, and died there in 1830. He
married Anna Sargent, in 1759. Their first-born was
Steven Sargent, born in 1778. He married Polly Nich-
ols, in 1802, and their son, Moses (2), who was bom
in 1808, and died in 1894, married Miss Persis Crane,
issue being Isabelle Nichols Sargent, who married
Charles Luther Waterhouse, of Merrimac, Massachu-
setts, as above mentioned.

Charles L. Waterhouse, father of Harold M. Water-
house, was born in Merrimac, Massachusetts, April 23,
1870, and has been a respected resident of that place
throughout his life. Latterly he has branched from his
father's trade, that of carriage-building, into the manu-
facturing of automobile bodies. His wife, Isabelle N.
(Sargent) Waterhouse, is two years his junior, having
been born in Merrimac on November 22, 1872. Ten chil-
dren have been born to them : Moses Sargent, who was
born on April i, 1892; Lewis Osborne, born January 9,
1894; Alvin Raymond, bom in July, 1896; Bernice
Elizabeth, bom on January 11, 1898; Harold Mabre,
of whom further; Charles Luther, Jr. bom November
22, IQOI ; Marion Crane, born November i, 1903; Per-
sis Ruth, born November 22, 1907 ; Doris Isabelle, bom
October 11, 1911; Alice Howe, bom May i, 1914, died
May 28, 1916.

Harold M. Waterhouse, fifth child of Charles L. and
Isabelle Nichols (Sargent) Waterhouse, was born Sep-
tember 20, 1899. He was educated in the public schools
of Merrimac, graduating in due course from the Mer-
rimac High School. Later he took the course at the
Essex County Agricultural School. After leaving
school he worked for a while for the Gray & Davis
Company, of Amesbury, and later for J. B. Judkins,
of Merrimac, but it was not long after leaving the agri-
cultural school that he was busily farming. He has
since held to agricultural pursuits, and has charge of the



Old Oak Farm, at Merrimac, where he has proved that
he is a discerning and energetic farmer, who is apply-
ing his scientific knowledge of the industry to good
advantage.

Mr. Waterhouse is well known in Merrimac; he
belongs to the Masonic and Odd Fellows orders, being
a member of Bethany lodge of the former, and the
Riverside lodge of Odd Fellows ; he also is a member
of Merrimac Grange. By political allegiance he is a
Republican. Mr. Waterhouse attends the Pilgrim Con-
gregational Church of Merrimac. He is unmarried.



ALEXANDER MORRISON was born at Merri-
mac, Massachusetts, on January 10, 1890, and is a son
of John L. and Jane H. (Hill) Morrison. His father,
who was born June 17, 1865, at Andover, Massachu-
setts, has been engaged in carriage repairing on his own
account for many years there. His wife, Jane H. (Hill)
Morrison, who is still living, is a daughter of John
Hill, of Andover. They were the parents of three
children: .Alexander, of whom further; Frederick, of
Andover; and Phillips, who was captain of ordnance at
Aberdeen Proving Grounds during the World War, and
died in the service; he was then the youngest captain
in the United States army. Mr, Morrison is a member
of St. Matthew's Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; of
Rose Croix, in Lowell; Massachusetts Consistory; and
Aleppo Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine, at Boston. Mr. and Mrs. Morrison
attend and support the Old South Congregational
Church of .'Vndover.

Alexander Morrison received his early education in
the public schools of Andover. Later he proceeded to
the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, from which
he graduated as a member of the class of 1914, receiv-
ing his B. S. degree; he specialized in chemical engi-
neering. After having completed his studies, Mr. Mor-
rison accepted a position in the chemical department of
the American Woolen Company. He has been con-
nected with this company ever since, and at present
holds the position of assistant chemist.

Mr. Morrison is a member of the South Congrega-
tional Church of Andover. In politics he is a Repub-
lican. He is a member of the American Association
of Textile Chemists and Colorists, and the American
Chemical Society. He also belongs to the Masonic
order, being a member of St. Matthew's Lodge, Free
and Accepted Masons, of Andover; Massachusetts Con-
sistory; and Aleppo Temple Ancient Arabic Order
Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, at Boston.

Mr. Morrison married, in 1916, Mildred F. Wildes,
daughter of Eugene L. Wildes, of Hamilton, Massa-
chusetts ; she was born at Hamilton on December 8,
1890. Mr. and Mrs. Morrison have one son, Lincoln
Wildes Morrison, who was born on May 18, 1918.



HOWARD L. WEBBER— A prominent shoe manu-
facturer and a leading citizen of Haverhill, Massachu-
setts, Howard L. Webber was born there February 12,
1881. His father was also in the shoe business as a retail
dealer. Mr. Webber, Sr., was a native of Bradford,
New Hampshire, and died in 1881. He was a veteran
of the Civil War, and a member of the local Grand



330



ESSEX COUNTY



Army of the Republic Post. Mr. Webber married Olive
M. Wood.

The early education of Howard L. Webber was ob-
tained in the public schools of Haverhill. After finish-
ing his schooling he went to work for the Troy Laun-
dry Company, of Haverhill, where he remained for two
years. Then he went to work for the Gale Shoe Manu-
facturing Company, of Haverhill, and this marked the
turning point in his career. For fourteen years he
remained with this firm, working his way upward, by
diligent effort, to overseer of the cutting department.
Mr. Webber resigned his position to enter the shoe
business on his own account, taking as a partner, I. J.
Webster, and the firm name became the Webster- Webber
Shoe Company. They manufactured women's Goodyear
welt shoes and this arrangement was successfully con-
tinued until 1914.

In October of the latter year Mr. Webber formed a
new company to manufacture women's turned shoes,
making a specialty of white shoes. J. S. Moore was
admitted as a partner, and the name of the firm became
the Webber Shoe Company. Their place of business is
located in the Esse.x Associate building, on Esse.x street,
and there they have successfully carried on their manu-
facturing for seven years. Each succeeding year brings
them an increase in business from satisfied customers,
and both members of the firm are well and favorably
known among the business men of Esse.x county. Mr.
Webber is a Mason, a member of the lodge at Haver-
hill, and also is a member of the Pentucket Club.

Mr. Webber married, in 1910, Bessie P. Brown, of
Groveland, and they are the parents of a daughter, Bar-
bara E. Webber.



ALDEN M. WORCESTER, city marshal of Haver-
hill, Massachusetts, one of the best known and highly
respected of Haverhill's public servants, and a member
of the police force for almost forty years, was born in
Columbia, Maine, November 9, 1850, the son of Moses
Worcester, a lumberman of Maine, and his wife. Dia-
dem B. (Smith) Worcester, who survived her husband
for many years, she dying in 1889.

Alden M. Worcester attended the common school of
his native place, and for several years after leaving
school worked in the woods of Maine, as lumberman.
In 1864 he came to Haverhill and worked in shoe fac-
tories for about one year, then went back to Maine and
worked in the woods. He returned again to Haverhill
and worked in the shoe factories for two years, then
joined the police force, as patrolman. In January, 1873,
he was promoted to sergeantcy, twelve years later, in
1885, becoming captain. In the following year, 1886, he
was appointed city marshal, and served as such for
four years, and afterwards resumed his patrol duty.
For almost another two decades, until 1919, he actively
followed such duties in the city administration, when
he again became city marshal, which post he still holds.
It may be readily appreciated that there are few persons
in Haverhill so well known; and it may also be inferred
that such long service means a consistent, faithful per-
formance of duty through the decades.

Mr. Worcester is a Mason of the thirty-second degree,
and also is affiliated with the local body of the Knights
of Pythias. His church is the Universalist.



Mr. Worcester married, in 1877, Runie Etta Dormand,
daughter of Leonard and Priscilla (Barton) Dormand,
of Maine. One child was born to them, a son, Harold
D., in 1888. He resides in Cincinnati, Ohio, and is an
automobile supply salesman. He is a thirty-second
degree Mason, and a member of the Grace Methodist
Church. He married Pauline Dutrie, who died in April,
1921.

GEORGE P. POOR— Energetically directing a suc-
cessful business, which finds steady employment for
about two hundred and fifty people of Newburyport,
Massachusetts, George P. Poor may be looked upon as
a worthy native son of that place.

Mr. Poor was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts,
on October 26, 1886, son of Benjamin F. Poor, a re-
spected wholesale provision merchant, in business for
many years in Newburyport, and his wife Alvana Wes-
ton (Card) Poor, who is still living, and was originally
of Newcastle, New Hampshire. Benjamin F. and
Alvana Weston (Card) Poor were the parents of four
children, the two sons being Ben Perley, and George
P., of whom further.

George P. Poor, with his brother and sisters, attended
the Newburyport public schools, and eventually passed
into the high school, graduating in 1901. He also took
a business course at the Salem Commercial School.
For four years after leaving school he was in the
employ of the North Eastern Telephone Company. In
1915, however, he was one of the organizers and prin-
cipals of the firm of Fern & Poor, shoe manufacturers.
At the outset, the company's plant was at No. 371 High
street, Newburyport, but larger quarters eventually
became necessary. Since 1919 the company has been
located at No. 102 Merrimac street, where they have
25,000 square feet of floor space available. The company
was incorporated in 1915, under the same name, and
since that time the executives have been: Benjamin F.
Poor, president ; and George P. Poor, treasurer and
general manager. The company specializes in a medium
grade of women's turn shoes, and the plant is capable
of producing twelve hundred pairs a day. The company
is well known to the trade, and the large demand there
is for their make of shoes would indicate that quality
as well as price enters into their operations. Mr. Poor
is a good business man, quite active and enterprising,
and in addition to his manufacturing house, is also one
of the principals of a jobbing house, being president
of the H. M. Johnson Company, of Lynn, Massachu-
setts. He is necessarily well known in Newburyport,
and also is generally esteemed by business people, and
by many others who come into close association with
him. He is a Mason, up to and including the chapter,
and also is a member of the Newbury Golf Club.

Mr. Poor married, in 191 5, Marion H. Spaulding, of
Newburyport, daughter of Louis Spaulding, a wholesale
provision merchant in that place, and they have two
children: Edith, born in 1916; and Ben P., born in 1918.



JAMES BAILLIE, president of the North Star
Chemical Works, at No. 13 Railroad street, Lawrence,
Massachusetts, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, in
September, 1877, and in his native land spent the years
until 1910. He was educated in an Edinburgh prep-



BIOGRAPHICAL



33^



aratory school, Herriot Watt College, Edinburgh, and
Central School of Pharmacy, same place, and became
an expert chemist, leaving a good position in 1910 to
come to the United States, where for ten years he was
engaged as chief chemist with a pharmaceutical manu-
facturing company in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In 1914
he organized the North Star Chemical Works, and in
1 91 6, in order to be near the source of raw supply, he
moved from Minneapolis to Lawrence, Massachusetts.
The business of the company is extracting the greases
from raw wool and scouring waste liquors, which when
purified furnislies the product known to the chemical
trade as lanolin. This is a business created by war-
time necessities, the lanolin used in the country having
all been imported from Germany prior to the war.

During the war period the North Star Chemical
Works supplied the government with a large amount of
lanolin, which was used as the base for a paste used
by the soldiers to protect them from mustard gas burns.
This part was made according to a formula prepared
by officers of the medical service with suggestions by
Mr. Baillie. Another product of the North Star Chem-
ical Works is a wool fat used by veterinarians, and
also a sterilizing and disinfecting agent. The business
is a prosperous one, and Mr. Baillie is a complete
master of its every detail. In addition to their plant
on Railroad street the works include a recovery plant
on the South Side, and a similar plant in Norton, Mas-
sachusetts. Even with these sources of supply for the
refinery, they are largely buyers of wool fat, which is
shipped to them from different plants throughout the
country equipped with centrifugal methods of recovering
wool grease, which methods originated in the United
States with the North Star Chemical Works. In addi-
tion to the home market the firm exports largely to
Europe, Asia and South America.

Mr. Baillie is a member of Lawrence Chamber of
Commerce ; Grecian Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons ;
and the Caledonian Club.

Mr. Baillie married, in Scotland, in 1905, Margaret
C. Dobbie, and they are the parents of five children :
Hannah Wallace: Catherine Margaret; Andrew; John,
and William Wallace. The family home is at Mcthuen,
Massachusetts, the family attendants of the United Con-
gregational church.



WILLIAM H. HIGGINS, of Andover and Law-
rence, Massachusetts, is a son of Henry C. and Eliza
A. (Abbott) Higgins. His father, a Civil War veteran,
was born in East Randolph, Vermont but is now de-
ceased. His mother, Eliza A. (Abbott) Higgins, daugh-
ter of Noah Abbott, was born in Andover, Massachu-
setts, where her son, William H. Higgins was born,
March 3, 1864. He was educated in the public schools,
and upon arriving at man's estate, started a sale
exchange and livery business in Andover, which he has
very successfully conducted for about thirty years. He
had in the meantime become the owner of a good
farm, and in 1910 began operating it under his personal
management, continuing until 1918. He then began
operating in real estate, with offices at No. 575 Essex
street, Lawrence, with a branch office at Andover.
where he also has a store for the sale of novelties. He
has built up a good real estate, mortgage and insurance



business, his dealings being in residence, commercial and
farm properties.

Mr. Higgins is a member of the Masonic order,
affiliated with St. Matthew's Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons ; Mt. Sinai Chapter, Royal Arch Masons ; Law-
rence Council, Royal and Select Masters ; Bethany
Commandery, Knights Templar ; Massachusetts Con-i
sistory, and Aleppo Temple, Ancient Arabic Order
Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is a member of
Christ Protestant Episcopal Church, at Andover. In
politics he is a Republican, but not an office seeker.

On October 20, l8g6, Mr. Higgins married, at An-
dover, Helen I. Barnett, daughter of William Barnett,
of Andover, and they are the parents of two sons :
William B. and Loring A.

William B. Higgins enlisted in the National Guard
and saw service on the Mexican Border as a member
of Battery C. Later this battery went overseas with
the 26th Division, American Expeditionary Forces, to
France. He entered the service as first lieutenant of
Battery C, Heavy Artillery, and attained the rank of
captain. After several months of hard service as an
artillery officer, he was transferred to the Radio Divi-
sion, and later served as staff intelligence officer. He is
now a captain of the Massachusetts National Guard.

Loring A. Higgins enlisted in the Coast Artillery and
was at once sent overseas, where he was transferred to
Battery D, 148th Regiment, 66th Field Artillery Brigade,
and later was assigned to the Army of Occupation after
the Armistice was signed. The family home is No. 15
Chestnut street, Andover, Massachusetts, the town of
Mr. Higgins' birth, the birthplace of his mother and of
his sons. He is widely known as an able, energetic
business man and as a good citizen, public-spirited and
progressive.

THE ANDREW WILSON COMPANY, INC.. of

Lawrence, Massachusetts, was founded in 1897 by
Andrew Wilson, a native of Scotland, where he was born
in 1856; he died in 1912. Mr. Wilson came to .Ames-
bury, Massachusetts, in 1882, and engaged in the roofing
business on a small scale. Later the business was
removed to Lawrence and from this time it increased
and expanded. The firm contracted for all kinds of
roofing work, tar, gravel, slate and copper, also sheet
metal work. They manufactured steel clothes lockers,
steel barrels and metal boxes, and have contracts for
special metal work in the textile mills. Skylights and
cornices are also part of the work. During the World
War the firm was engaged in the work of manufac-
turing metal boxes and metal cylinders, also metal
lockers for the government transports. In 1912, upon
the death of Andrew Wilson, the business was incor-
porated, and his sons, Alexander E. and Walter C.
Wilson, were made president and treasurer, respectively.

Mr. Wilson married Violet Chisholm, and their chil-
dren were : Alexander E., and Walter C, both of
extended mention below.

Alexander E. Wilson was bom in Galashiels, Scot-
land, November 4, 1881, and as a boy attended the public
schools of Amesbury, Massachusetts. In 1899 he en-
tered the employ of his father, continuing until the
death of the latter, at which time he was made presi-
dent of the corporation.

Mr. Wilson is a Mason, a member of Phoenician



332



ESSEX COUNTY



Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons ; also a member of
Monadnock Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows;
the Caledonian Club, and the Scotch Charitable Society
of Boston. He married, in Bradford, Massachusetts,
September 24, 1914, E. Romena McClintock, of Bradford,
and their children are: John A.; Alexander M., and
Robert F. Mr. Wilson and his family attend the First
Methodist Episcopal Church of Lawrence, and they
make their home at No. 33 Dartmouth street.

Walter C. Wilson, the second son of Andrew and
Violet (Chisholm) Wilson, was born in Amesbury,
Massachusetts, June 19, 1888, and attended the public
schools there and the Lawrence High School. He
entered the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, grad-
uating in 191 1 as a chemical engineer, and the following
year went to Newark, New Jersey, where he followed
his profession. Upon the incorporation of the Andrew
Wilson Company, he was made treasurer of the cor-
poration, which office he now holds.

Mr. Wilson is a member of the American Chemical
and Engineering Society, and fraternally he is a mem-
ber of Phoenician Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons.
He also is a member of the Merrimac Valley Country
Club, and the Caledonian Club.

Mr. Wilson married, in Lawrence, in 1916, Alice
Marion Andrew, and their children are: Jean and
Andrew Wilson. Mr. Wilson and his family attend the
First Methodist Episcopal Church, and their home is
at No. 1046 Esse.x street.



ALFRED A. PHILLIPS, one of the most success-
ful citizens and business men of Haverhill, Massachu-
setts, is not a native of that city, but has lived there
several years. He was born in England in 1885, son of
Alexander and Elizabeth Phillips, and after completing
his education, found employment with various firms in
his native town until coming to America. Soon after
his arrival in this country, he located in Haverhill,
where after a time he was in a position to engage in
business on his own account. He is one of the
owners of Albert A. Phillips, Inc., and has met with
well deserved success in this venture. He is a member
of the Sons of St. George, and the Loyal Order of
Moose. Since becoming a resident of Haverhill, Mr.
Phillips has made its public interests his interests and
is always willing to share his part of the civic burden.

Mr. Phillips married Ida L. London, daughter of
Joseph and Rebecca London, and they are the parents
of three children: Alexander H., born in 191 1; Beatrice
L., bom in 1913; and Elizabeth N., bom in 1917.



JOSEPH E. TROMBLA, undertaker, of Amesbury,
Massachusetts, has been connected with that city during
the last two decades, and among the residents of that
place he has been placed in high esteem, especially by
his work for the Young Men's Christian Association of
Amesbury. He was born in Dixon, Illinois, July 24,
1865, son of Daniel and Elizabeth Ann (Courtright)
Trombla, the former a native of Toledo, Ohio, a soldier
of the Civil War, and in civil life a carpenter and far-
mer until his death. He was a member of the Thir-
teenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War,
and served as a private. The rigors of the campaign-
ing and directly a forced march incapacitated him, and



he was eventually discharged from military service
because of physical disability. The mother of Joseph
E. Trombla was of a Pennsylvania family.

Sometime after the birth of Joseph E. the Trombla
family went to reside in Nebraska, and the boy was
educated mainly in the public schools of Friend,
Nebraska. His education included the high school
course, and later in life, when he decided to become an
undertaker, he became a student at the Boston School
of Anatomy and Embalming, the diploma of which he
holds. However, long before taking up that profession,
he did capable work in several different lines of effort,



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 11 of 56)