Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 12 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 12 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and has proved himself to be a man of distinct ver-
satility and superior intelligence. For three years after
leaving high school, he was a teacher in the public
schools of Nebraska. He left that profession to enter
commercial business, and for that purpose went to
Omaha and there became connected with the Pacific
E-xpress Company. He remained in the employ of that
company at Omaha for twelve years, then came east.
Soon, thereafter, began his long association with Ames-
bury, Massachusetts. For seven years after taking up
residence there he was engaged in mercantile business
there, giving up that business when appointed secretary
of the Amesbury Young Men's Christian Association.
He was local secretary of that organization for ten
years, and in consequence is now widely known to
most of the young business men of .Amesbury of to-
day. During the World War he felt a desire to do
work of a more national character and work that would
have a more direct bearing on the struggle, so he
resigned his appointment and entered the employ of
the Gray & Davis Company, and was appointed a fore-
man in the ammunition plant. When the war work was
at an end he resolved to fit himself for entering the
undertaking profession in Amesbury. He eventually
graduated from the Boston School of Anatomy and
Embalming and became an undertaker in Amesbury.
He is giving good and appreciated service, and so
might be said to be succeeding.

Fraternally Mr. Trombla belongs to several orders,
including the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
Powan River Lodge, Harmony Encampment, Colfax
Rebekahs, of Amesbury; Askus Santorums, of Haver-
hill, and the John A. Douglas Camp, Sons of Veter-
ans. Politically he is a Republican and has followed
national politics with a somewhat active interest, for
three years being a member of the Republican State
Committee. He also is a member of the Amesbury
Chamber of Commerce.

A review of his life also must record his three
3ears of military service in the Nebraska National
Guard, 1888-91. Later, during the World War, in fact,
when State National Guard troops were mustered into
Federal service, he served in the emergency troops of
Massachusetts. He was a sergeant of the Massachusetts
State Guards from 1917 to 1919. His church affilia-
tion is Congregational, he being a member of the
church in Amesbury.

Mr. Trombla married, in 1894, Margaret McRoberts,
of Toronto, Canada, and they have two children, both
of whom were born in Omaha, Nebraska; they are:
Daniel C, born April 2, 1895; and Joseph Edward, born
December 7, 1897.




e^.



BIOGRAPHICAL



333



MARTIN B. CRANE, postmaster of Merrimac,
Massachusetts, from 1913 until 1921. was born in Willi-
niantic, Connecticut. October 7, 1S60, son of Patrick
and Bridget (Hart) Crane, both of whom were born
in Sligo, Ireland. They emigrated to this country and
settled in Connecticut. Patrick Crane was a farmer in
Willimantic for the remainder of his life, which ended
in 1880. His wife lived a widowhood of seventeen
years, her death occurring in 1897.

Martin B. Crane was reared in Connecticut. He
attended the Willimantic public schools, and after leav-
ing school, entered the factory of the Willimantic Linen
Company, in the employ of which company he remained
for three years. He next went to Hartford, and there
worked for the S. N. Hart Carriage Company, of that
place, for a short while, before going to New Britain,
Connecticut, and there working for the Graham Com-
pany for about a year, and for Banning & Company
and the Arch Street Carriage Company, both of New
Britain, for about a year each. Coming into Massa-
chusetts, he settled in Merrimac, and for the next six
years was an employee of the Steven Brothers Company.
He worked for several other Merrimac companies,
among them the Pease Company, Judkins Company,
and the J. Lancaster Company, before entering Federal
service in 1913, when he was appointed postmaster of
Merrimac by President Wilson, serving from that year
until 1921 ; he is a popular citizen of Merrimac.

Politically Mr. Crane is a Democrat; fraternally he
belongs to the .\ncient Order of United Workmen, and
to the Amesbury body of the Knights of Columbus. By
religious faith he is a Catholic, member of the Nativity
Roman Catholic Church, Merrimac. While living in
Connecticut, he served for four years in the Connec-
ticut State Guard, being a member of Company E, of
the Third Regiment of Infantry.

Mr. Crane married, in 1892, at Merrimac, Margaret
Lawton, of that place, and they have five children:
Ellen Mary, born August 27, 1893; Mildred Margaret,
born January 15, 1895; Gladys Veronica, born July 4,
1896; Katherine Agnes, born November 16, 1897; and
Andrew Lawton Patrick, who was bom on June 28,
1901.



JULIUS B. EMMERT— One of the leading under-
takers of Lawrence, Massachusetts, is Julius B. Em-
niert, whose show rooms, at No. 93 East Haverhill
street, are the finest in the city.

Mr. Emmert was born in Germany, November 29,
1872, and is a son of Carl J. and Bertha Emmert, his
father now being retired from business.

Coming to New York City in 1880, Mr. Emmert at-
tended the public schools of the city for a few years,
also learning art wood finishing as a trade. This occu-
pation he followed until 1892, when he came to Law-
rence. Here he entered the employ of the Briggs &
Allyn Manufacturing Company, where he remained for
a period of two years. He then decided upon his
future field of effort, and entered the Egyptian School
of Embalming, in Boston, studying under Professor
F. A. Sullivan, and was graduated from this institu-
tion in June, 1895. For a few months he was in the
employ of Conlin & Ryan, prominent Lawrence under-
takers of that day, then, in the fall of the same year,



founded the present business at the same address. The
venture proved more than successful, and later Mr.
Emmert erected the present handsome building, designed
particularly for its present purpose, spacious and mod-
ern in every way. Mr. Emmert has kept pace with
the times, and now for some years has had a complete
motor equipment. He commands a large share of the
best patronage.

Mr. Emmert is a member of the Massachusetts Under-
takers' Association, and of the Lawrence Chamber of
Commerce. He served on the Board of Health of Law-
rence in 1916. Fraternally he is prominent, being a
member of Grecian Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons ;
the chapter, council and commandery, of Lawrence;
Scottish Rite, of Lowell; Massachusetts Consistory,
and .Aleppo Temple, .'\ncient Arabic Order Nobles of
the Mystic Shrine. He also is a member of the Benev-
olent and Protective Order of Elks, the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, and
several local German societies.

In May, 1899, Mr. Emmert married Ella M. Dietz,
of Paterson, New Jersey, and they have three children :
Julius F., born August 7, 1902, a graduate of the Bos-
ton School of Anatomy and Sanitary Science, and now
associated with his father in business ; he is also a
student at Boston University; Clemens B., born May
12. 1905, and now a student at the Lawrence High
School; and Ella B. E., born July 29, 1909, who is now
in grammar school.



DOOLING & COFFEY, book and job printers,

located at No. 200H East Essex street, Salem, Massa-
chusetts, was founded January i, 1907, by John C. Dool-
ing, of Peabody, and James E. Coffey, of Salem. The
business was begun at the present address nearly fifteen
\ears ago and has continued, without change of part-
ners or location, a very prosperous career. The firm
ranks well in the business world, Is a member of
Salem Chamber of Commerce, and the partners are
both well and favorably known as craftsmen, business
men and citizens.

John C. Dooling, senior member of the firm, was
born in Peabody, Massachusetts, and was there edu-
cated in the public schools. James E. Coffey was born
in Salem, Massachusetts, and educated in the public
schools. Both men are practical printers, and they
conduct a high grade print shop.



WILLIAM E. BOYLE, druggist, of Amesbury,
Massachusetts, was born September 21, 1882, in that
city, son of Matthias and Harriet H. (Bartlett) Boyle,
of Amesbury. His education was obtained in the public
schools of his native town. His first experience in
business was as a clerk in the drug business, as an
employee of J. Frank Nason, where he continued for
five years. Following this, he was employed in various
drug stores until 191 1, when he started in business on
his own account, and has now completed ten success-
ful years.

Mr. Boyle married, in 1906, Mary Gertrude Lowell,
daughter of Fred A. and Ann (Caswell) Lowell, and
their children are: Marjorie E., born March 14, 1908;
Elmore L., born February 13, 191 1; and Barbara, born
April I, 1918.



334



ESSEX COUNTY



ANNIE C. (BRANN) BEAL— Among the active
leading business women of Haverhill, Massachusetts,
is Mrs. Annie C. (Brann) Beal, who is superintendent
and manager of the Haverhill plant acquired by the
Beal Brothers in 1889. The business was established
in 1865 by John Maners. and passed to the Beal broth-
ers twenty-four years later, at which time the plant was
at No. 72 Merrimac street. There it was continued and
developed for the next seventeen years, in 1906 being
removed to Middlesex street, Bradford, which is the
present address. The company has, however, in addi-
tion, a large plant at Lowell, Massachusetts, and it is
said that tlieir business is the largest of its kind in the
Haverhill district. Mrs. Beal has manifested superior
aptitude for business affairs, and has helped to main-
tain the business in progressive development.

Annie C. (Brann) Beal was born in Dover, Maine,
on February 10, 1859. She was educated in the Dover
public schools, and at Foxcroft Academy. She married
Fred C. Beal, Sr., a dyer and cleaner by trade, and a
native of Bangor, Maine. One child was born to them,
Fred C, Jr., of whom further.

Fred C. Beal, Jr. was born on January 30, 1883, and
grew up in his native place, Dover, New Hampshire,
where in early life he attended the elementary public
schools. When his parents came to Haverhill to live,
Fred C, Jr. became a student of the Haverhill High
School. After leaving school he became associated
with the family business, and in course of time became
a valuable associate. He is well known in Haverhill,
especially in Masonic and business circles. He is a
member of all the Masonic bodies, and is active in the
Rotary Club of Haverhill. Socially he belongs to the
Agawam Club.

Fred C. Beal, Jr. married, in July, 191 1, Florence
Vernard, of Salisbury, New Hampshire, daughter of
William and Sadie (Eaton) Vernard, the latter of Sal-
isbury, and the former of Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
William Vernard was connected with the shoe manu-
facturing industry, and died in 191 1. Fred C. Jr. and
Florence (Vernard) Beal have two children: Elinor V.,
born in 1913; and Janet B., born in 1917.



JOHN ELLIOTT— For twenty-five years a well-
known and respected funeral director of Newburyport,
Iv'Iassachusetts, and for forty years a responsible resi-
dent in the United States, John Elliott, who is of Scot-
tish birth, comes into place as a worthy American cit-
izen and a representative man of Essex county, Massa-
chusetts.

Mr. Elliott was born in Scotland, on November 14,
1868, son of John and Mary E. (Telford) Elliott. John
Elliott, Sr., was a farm overseer, and died in 191 1. His
wife died in 1872, when John, Jr., who was the second
of their four children, was only four years old, and he
was not yet fourteen years old when he came to the
United States, in 1882. His education had been obtained
in the public schools of his native place, and he prob-
ably was farther advanced in academics than the aver-
age American boy of fourteen would be, because Brit-
ish children, as a rule, enter school at an earlier age
than American children, and the British school year is
much longer than the average American school year.
At all events, when he came to this country, he imme-



diately began to work, entering a Massachusetts shoe
factory. During the next fourteen years he worked in
many factories, remaining connected with the Massa-
chusetts shoe industry until September, 1896, when he
formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, the two
establishing an undertaking business in Newburyport.
The company was known as Pike & Elliott, and the
funeral parlors were originally at No. 46 Pleasant
street. The partnership continued until igoo, when Mr.
Elliott became sole owner, thereafter operating under
his own name. In 191 1 he removed to Merrimac
street, in the Odd Fellows building, which has been his
business address ever since. For many years Mr.
Elliott has been one of the leading funeral directors of
Newburyport, and has the confidence of the people in
general.

Inuring his long residence and public service in New-
buryport, Mr. Elliott has to some e.xtent entered into
pul)lic movements, though he has had to devote the
greater part of his time to his professional work. For
a while he was a member of the City Council. He is a
director of the Homoeopathic Hospital; belongs to the
Methodist Episcopal church ; is a Mason to the Knights
Templar degree ; is affiliated with three branches of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belongs to the
.\ncient Order of United Workmen, and also to the
Knights of Malta. Socially he holds membership in the
North End Yacht and the Dalton clubs.

Mr. Elliott married, in 1896, Mary D. Pike, daughter
of William C. and Susan (Sullivan) Pike, of Newbury-
port. The Pike family is one of the historic families
of Colonial New England, several scions of that house
coming prominently into national annals. The father
of Mrs. Elliott was a carpenter by trade, and died in
1905 ; her mother was originally of Bucksport, Maine.
Mr. and Mrs. Elliott have two children: John Telford,
born in 1897; and William F., born in 1905.



BARTHOLOMEW J. CREEDEN, master-plumber,
of Newburyport, Massachusetts, is widely known in that
district. He is an alert, enterprising man, of strong
personality, and is especially respected in plumbing
circles. So much is clearly indicated by the honors
conferred upon him by fellow-members of the Plumbers'
Union, at Brockton, Massachusetts ; he has been pres-
ident of that body eight times, being reelected seven
times. He represented the union at the Toledo (Ohio)
Convention ; was delegate to the Building and Trades
Council, of Brockton, Massachusetts, and was also
elected delegate to the District Council at Boston, Mas-
sachusetts.

Mr. Creeden was bom in Newburyport on September
19, 1886, son of Patrick and Ellen (Riordan) Creeden.
His mother, who was bom in Ireland, is still living,
but his father, a former captain of police in Newbury-
port, died in 1905. Bartholomew J. was the third of
the six children of Patrick and Ellen (Riordan) Cree-
den. He has four brothers, and all were reared in
Newburyport. They all attended the public schools of
that place, Bartholomew J. graduating eventually from
the high school, in the class of 1901. After leaving
school he became apprenticed to a local plumber, his
own brother, and in due course completed his inden-
tures. Soon afterwards he went to Haverhill, Massa-



THE NEW VORK •
PUBLIC LIBRARY



I TILDEN



S^-SSSOHSJ




C/- (/jLc*w^-<^^L^€,^<l-^ /^!^^Y^^:7^-tx - c-^o— <^<-^



BIOGRAPHICAL



335



chusetts, where for a year he was in the employ of Saw-
yer & Dean. For a like period he worked for J. J.
Powers, at Brockton, and for five years thereafter was
with the J. T. Corcoran Company. After a further
three years spent in the employ of Hobert & Farrell,
Inc., Mr. Creeden, in 1920, returned to Newburyport
and became a master plumber himself, opening a shop
under his own name on Middle street, Newburyport.
His business, which embraces all phases of plumbing,
heating, tin and sheet metal work, is steadily increas-
ing, and is quite satisfactory. He is particularly ener-
getic, and is proving that he is a good business man as
well as an expert tradesman. Fratenially, Mr. Creeden
is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, and in general he is popular among those who
know him.

Mr. Creeden married, in 1918, Nora O'Connell, of
Newburyport, daughter of Morris and Johanna (Ham-
ilton) O'Connell, both of whom were born in Ireland.
Morris O'Connell was a fisherman, and died in 1906.



GEORGE B. SMART— The business conducted by
Mr. Smart at Xo. 61 Esse.\ street, Lawrence, Massa-
chusetts, must bring back early recollections to even
the oldest residents. It is over seventy-five years since
Mr. Smart's father established that business, and there
has been no change of address since.

George B. Smart, Jr., was born in Lawrence, on Sep-
tember 9, 1864, son of George B. and Matilda (Chand-
ler) Smart. His father was born in Dover, New Hamp-
shire, and was a sheet metal worker by trade; he died
in 1899. His wife was of Maine, and she died in 1897.
They were the parents of six children, George B., Jr.,
being the first-born.

George B. Smart was educated in local schools, and
at Bryant and Stratton's Business College at Boston,
Massachusetts. After graduating therefrom, young Mr.
Smart returned to Lawrence, and for a while worked
for J. F. Bingham. Soon, however, he associated with
his father in the latter's sheet metal work business, and
ever since the son has worked in the shop on Essex
street. When his father died in 1899, he took over the
whole of the business, and latterly the work has changed
somewhat. The bulk of his business is now confined to
n-ill work, although he at times undertakes quite a lot
of outside tin, copper and sheet metal work. Mr. Smart
has held closely to his own business, but he is much
respected, and has a wide circle of friends. He is a
member of Trinity Church, of Lawrence.

He married, in 1889, Elizabeth Gesing, of Lawrence,
daughter of William E. Gesing, an overseer, who died
in 1897.



ROBERT J. SIM was bom in Salem, in the section

which is now Peabody, Massachusetts, March 14, 1854,
at the family home on Washington street. He attended
the public schools of Peabody and after school years
were finished he spent two years on a farm. From the
farm he entered the leather business and so continued
for ten years, going thence to his father's employ, the
latter a manufacturer of morocco leather. About 1880
he was admitted a member of the firm. The Peter Sim
Company, and so continues, a successful leather manu-
facturer.



Mr. Sim is a member of Peabody Lodge, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows ; member of Peabody Chamber
of Commerce; and a member of the Peabody Club; he
attends the Congregational church.

Mr. Sim married, in 1886, Ella F. Berry, of Beverly,
Massachusetts, and they are the parents of two sons :
Albert B., deceased ; and Robert B., who served in the
United States army during the World War, 1917-18,
and was honorably discharged at Camp Devens, Massa-
chusetts, in 1918. Mr. Sim has spent his life in his
native Peabody, the greater part of it in the leather
business. He is widely known in the trade, and highly
esteemed as a man of high character and strong busi-
ness ability.



E. RUSSELL MOULTON— Broadly interested in
the industrial activities of the city of Lynn, Massachu-
setts, E. Russell Moulton has become one of the most
prominent men in the shoe industry in this city.

Mr. Moulton was bom in Lynn, on January 2, 1875,
and is a son of Gilman and Addie (Littlefield) Moul-
ton. Receiving his early education in the public schools
of this city, he was graduated from the Lynn Classical
High School in the class of 1892. In July of that year
he entered the employ of Littlefield & Plummer, wood
and paper bo.x manufacturers, of Lynn. Learning the
business, and developing a practical ability for this line
of effort, Mr. Moulton, ten years later, was admitted
as a partner of the firm, William B. Littlefield being
the senior partner at that time. Later his interest was
purchased by Charles A. Littlefield, and the business
was then conducted under the name of Littlefield &
Moulton, this association of interests still continuing.
They make many kinds of wood and paper boxes, and
the industry has come to be one of the most important
in the city. The Littlefield & Moulton Company has,
within the past few years, bought out the V. K. & A. H.
Jones & Thomas Company, one of the largest shoe
manufacturing concerns in the city of Lynn, and they
are conducting both industries at this time, Mr. Moul-
ton being treasurer of the shoe business.

As an active executive of these two important con-
cerns, Mr. Moulton stands high in the business world of
Lynn. He is furthermore a director of the Lynn Stor-
age Battery Company, and treasurer and director of
the George K. Kelly Company, of Lynn and Haverhill.
Mr. Moulton is an influential member of the Chamber
of Commerce.

Personally, Mr. Moulton is prominent in fraternal and
club circles. He holds the thirty-second degree in the
Masonic order; is a member of the Benevolent and Pro-
tective Order of Elks; and is a member of the Swamp-
scott Masonic Club, and of the Oxford Club.

On December 20, 1919, Mr. Moulton married Ruth
Madora Johnson, daughter of Thure and Augustine
Johnson, of Lynn.



DANE MACHINE COMPANY— For thirty years
the business now known as the Dane Machine Company
was conducted in Salem, Massachusetts, under the name
of J. W. Dane, the business being incorporated in 1919,
as the Dane Machine Company, Inc., by Joseph H.
Poor, Frederick L. Warner and John Little, all of
Salem. The business of the company is the manufac-



336



ESSEX COUNTY



ture of machines used in tlie hide and leather business
by tanners and mcinufacturers.

Frederick L. Warner, son of Frederick E. and Mabel
F. (Smith) Warner, was born in Salem, Massachusetts,
March lo, 1895. He completed the course of public
school instruction, grammar and high, then entered
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, whence he was
graduated, class of 191 6. From "Tech" he entered the
employ of the Eagle Iron Foundry of Salem, and there
remained until 191 7, when he left to enter the service of
the United States then at war with Germany. He
enlisted in Company D, lOist Engineers in June, 1917,
was sent overseas with the American Expeditionary
Forces, saw service in France, and was honorably dis-
charged, March 4, 1918, with the rank of captain. After
the war he formed the connection that now exists with
the Dane Machine Company, Inc. Mr. Warner is a
member of the Masonic order; his church membership
is with the Universalist church of Salem.



JOHN LITTLE, now an honored resident of Salem,
Massachusetts, was born in the Province of New Bruns-
wick, Dominion of Canada, November 9, 1867, the
son of Robert Little, a shoe factory man of New Bruns-
wick, Canada, who died there in 1895. He married
Jane Hudson, of New Brunswick, who also died there,
but at an earlier date, her death occurring in 1880.

John Little was educated in the public schools of New
Brunswick. He was employed at the locality known as
Little's Mills, and there learned the carpenter's trade.
He also learned the millwright's trade and was employed
at both trades alternately for about five years, when
he came to the United States, locating in Salem, Mas-
sachusetts. His first work in Salem was with the Bos-
ton & Maine railroad in their car shops, where his skill
as a wood worker kept him with the company for a
number of years. In 1901 he entered the employ of the
Vaughn Machine Company of Salem, remaining with
that company until 1905, when they moved their plant
to Peabody, Mr. Little being induced to accompany
them. He continued in that employ until George C.
Vaughn acquired the Vaughn Machine Company, and
organized the Vaughn & Rude Company, Mr. Little
going with that company as an expert. For ten years he
was with the Vaughn & Rude Company of Peabody,
finally leaving to enter the employ of the Merrill Ma-
chine Company, of Salem. In 1918 he became a partner
in the Dane Machine Company of Salem, and continued
as the plant manager until March, 1922, when he re-
turned to his former employers, now known as the J.
W. Aulson Company. Here Mr. Little's inventive gen-
ius is a great asset to the firm. This brief review shows
Mr. Little as a man of energy and enterprise, expert as
a mechanic, a good manager and capable business man.

John Little is a member of John Endicott Lodge,



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 12 of 56)