Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 13 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 13 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Ancient Order of United Workmen, and a member of
the Methodist Episcopal church. He is a man highly
esteemed in his community, and has a wealth of friends.

Mr. Little married, in Salem, Mariah Hanson, a native
of Nova Scotia. Mr. and Mrs. Little have four chil-
dren : Genevieve, who is the wife of Murrey Friend, and
they have a daughter. Norma ; Blanche, Pauline, and
Eleanor. Mr. and Mrs. Little reside at No. 46 High-
land avenue, Salem, Massachusetts.



FERDINAND ALMON BUTLER was born at
Springvale, Maine, on June 12, 1877, and is a son of
Ferdinand A. and Jennie M. (Giles) Butler. His
father, for whom he was named, was a merchant. Mr.
Butler's parents both lived in Maine all their lives, and
both died there.

Mr. Butler received his early education in the public
schools of Maine. He attended high school at Salem,
Massachusetts, and after graduating from the Salem
High School, proceeded to the Massachusetts Institute
of Technology. He also is a graduate of the Salem
Commercial School, and taught two years in that insti-
tution. In 1899 Mr. Butler established himself in the
bicycle business at Danvers. Two years later he became
a dealer in plumbing, heating supplies and fixtures. He
now conducts both a bicycle and a plumbing and heat-
ing business in a store on Maple street, Danvers.

Mr. Butler is a member of the Maple Street Congre-
gational Church, and past president of the Maple Street
Men's Club. He is very active in Masonic circles, being
a past master of Amity Lodge, and proxy for his lodge
to the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts, a past
high priest of Holten Royal Arch Chapter of Danvers;
an ofticer in Sutton Lodge of Perfection of Salem ; and
a member of Jubilee Council, Princes of Jerusalem, and
F.mmanuel Chapter of Rose Croix, both of Salem. He
is a thirty-second degree Mason and a member of the
Massachusetts Consistory, and belongs to Aleppo Tem-
ple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine
of Boston. He also is a member of and was one of the
charter members of the Danvers Masonic Club. He
was a charter member and the first worthy patron oi
Mount Burnet Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, of
Danvers.

Mr. Butler married Serena Perry, a daughter of Mr.
and Mrs. James O. Perry, of Danvers, Mr. Perry being
for years one of the leading merchants In that town.
Mr. and Mrs. Butler have two children living: Eliza-
beth Butler, born in 1910; and Caroline Butler, born in
1914.



JAMES L. TOOHEY, of the firm of Robinson-
Toohey Company, of Lawrence, Massachusetts, holds a
leading place among the men engaged in mercantile
pursuits in that city. There is no other firm equal to
this company in size in New England outside of Boston.

Mr. Toohey was born January 14, 1886, in North
Andover, Massachusetts, the son of William J. Toohey,
a mill-wright, now living retired in North Andover.
Mr. Toohey's mother, Maria Toohey, died some years
ago.

As a boy Mr. Toohey attended the public schools and
the Johnson High School. Very soon after this time
he engaged in business as a clerk with the firm of San-
born & Robinson, hardware dealers, the latter being
his partner in the present firm. This firm was founded
originally by C. A. Metcalf, and upon his death his
business was purchased by James B. Robinson, who
had worked for him as a clerk, Edward M. Sanborn,
and Mr. E. Austin, the firm name being Sanborn, Austin
& Robinson; this partnership formed the beginning of
the present business. After the withdrawal of Mr.
Austin the firm name necessarily changed to include the
owners' names, Sanborn & Robinson, and this arrange-



THE NEW YOr. i.
PUBLIC LIBRARY



ASTOR, LBNOX
TILDEN FOUNDATIONS



BIOGRAPHICAL



337



ment continued to the year 1 907, when Mr. Sanborn
withdrew.

During the years Mr. Toohey had worked as a clerk,
he had diligently applied himself to learning the busi-
ness, and was rewarded with his opportunity to enter
the partnership in 1907, when Mr. Sanborn withdrew.
At this same time M. T. Doyle was also admitted to the
firm and the business carried on under the name of the
Robinson Hardware Company. In 1914 Mr. Doyle
retired, and the name became the Robinson-Toohey Com-
pany, continuing as such to the present time.

As the automobile began to replace carriages, the
enterprising members of this firm, with keen perception,
realized the necessity of expansion, and while previ-
ously the hardware business had been the chief inter-
est, it has been gradually superseded by the automobile
department, and now at Nos. 10-20 Winter street are
excellent showrooms, covering a large area of floor
space, and a service station, with every facility. This
firm also has the agency for the Cadillac, Durant, and
Nash cars. With the combined departments, fifty-two
employees are needed. The building now occupied by
the firm was purchased in August, 1919, and previous to
this time had been located at the corner of Essex and
Amesbury streets, and when founded in 1852 was located
at No. 327 Essex street.

Mr. Toohey is active in civic affairs in Lawrence and
North Andover, and for seven years has been a member
of the Advisory Committee in the latter place, serving
as chairman for the past four years. He is a member
of the Merrimac Valley Country Club, of Lawrence ; the
Rotary Club, of Lawrence; the North Andover Club;
the Chamber of Commerce, of Lawrence; and the
North Andover Civic Association. Fraternally he is
a fourth degree member of the Knights of Columbus, in
Lawrence.

Mr. Toohey married, at North Andover, Katherine G.
Egan, and they are the parents of two sons and a daugh-
ter : James L., Jr.; Frederick; and Mary. The family
attend St. Michael's Church in North Andover.



JOHN F. QUINN — Among the prominent merchants
of Lawrence, Massachusetts, John F. Quinn holds a
significant position in the hardware business and its
allied lines of merchandising. Mr. Quinn is a son of
Lawrence and Ellen (Coughlin) Quinn, both of whom
are now deceased. The father came to the United
States from Ireland in his youth, and was employed
here in the textile mills.

John F. Quinn was born in Lawrence, in 1868, and
received his education in the public schools of this' city.
In early life he was a house painter by trade, and fol-
lowed this line of activity until 1907, for the last twelve
or fifteen years of that time as a contracting painter.
In 1907 he opened a paint and supply store, which has
gradually developed into the present business of general
hardware, as well as paint supplies, wall papers, and
all lines usually affiliated with this business. About ten
years ago he dropped the painting branch of his busi-
ness. He carries on a very active wholesale depart-
ment, and is a large jobber of wall paper.

Mr. Quinn is well and favorably known in business
circles in Lawrence. He is a Democrat and served as
Essex — 2 — 22



a member of the Common Council for one term. Fra-
ternally he is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus;
he is a member of the St. Laurence's Roman Catholic
Church.

Mr. Quinn married, in 1909, Mary A. Lawlor, and
they are the parents of five children: John F., Mary A.,
Catherine E., Eleanor R., and Lawrence M. The fam-
ily reside in Methuen.



JOSEPH L. BELLEVILLE, of Lynn, who is now
one of the successful undertakers and funeral directors
of the day, is a native of Lynn, and was born May 16,
1S89. He is a son of Isiase and Caroline (Joyal)
Belleville, both natives of Quebec, Canada.

Receiving his early education in the public and paro-
chial schools of Lynn, Mr. Belleville entered Nicolet
College, in Quebec. Canada, from which institution he
was graduated in due course. In looking forward to
his career he became interested in the undertaking busi-
ness, and after the necessary preparation, started in
business for himself in this field of endeavor, in the
year 1910. He has carried on the business under his
own name continuously since.

On September 7, 1917, Mr. Belleville enlisted as a
private, in Company C, 301st Field Artillery. He served
at Camp Devens for a period of eleven months, then
served six months in France, and was discharged May
21, 1919, with the rank of Sergeant of Band.

Mr. Belleville is a member of Lynn Lodge, No. 117,
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of Vallado-
lid Lodge, No. 170, Knights of Columbus, of both the
local and national orders of St. Jean de Baptiste, and of
the Franco-Foresters. On May 21, 1919, Mr. Belleville
married Aurore Morin, of Marlboro, Massachusetts,
daughter of Odilon and Lydia (Hebert) Morin, both of
Quebec, Canada.

Mr. Belleville is a Republican. He has been active in
his party, both as a candidate and worker. His under-
taking establishment is fitted with modem equipment
and well deserves the liberal patronage which it
commands.



FRANK BOWNES, a prominent manufacturer of
Lynn, Massachusetts, has achieved well deserved suc-
cess. From a very modest beginning he has established
a flourishing business and has a wide market for his
product.

Mr. Bownes was born February 10, 1886, in Sheffield,
England, son of William Henry and Annie Elizabeth
(Biggin) Bownes. William Henry Bownes was a mem-
ber of the firm of Bownes Brothers, Ltd., builders of
fine carriages in Sheffield. He was born at Woodsets,
Yorkshire county, England, and died October i, 1908,
at Salem, Massachusetts, whence he had emigrated in
Tune, 1894. His wife, Annie Elizabeth Biggin, was born
at Sheffield, June 12, 1856, and with their son accom-
panied her husband to America. They settled in Salem
immediately upon their arrival and Mr. Bownes engaged
in blacksmith ing work on his own account, being very
successful.

Frank Bownes attended the public schools of Salem
and the high school for one year. He then worked
with his father for a year, leaving to enter the employ



338



ESSEX COUNTY



of the late Henry K. Mansfield, a prominent retail
druggist. Subsequently he entered the wholesale drug
business, following this occupation for seven years.
On May 31, 1909, he entered business for himself to
manufacture shellac varnish; his start was made at
No. 23 Derby street, Salem, and his partner was Wilbur
F. Hedden, now deceased. Two years later this part-
nership was dissolved, but Mr. Bownes continued in
business and in 1913 the location was removed to
Market street. Soon after this time the big Salem fire
occurred, and immediately after it the State police
started a rigid investigation of property to condemn all
buildings considered dangerous and liable to fire. The
building occupied by Mr. Bownes was among those
considered unsafe, and this was particularly so on
account of the nature of the business and the inflam-
mable materials used in manufacture: It was a large
wooden frame building with living apartments above the
paint shop. As a consequence, Mr. Bownes was noti-
fied to vacate in forty-eight hours, and it was very dif-
ficult to find a suitable place. It was several months
before he was again located and able to do business,
which was at No. 59 Monroe street, Lynn, in the mod-
ern brick building previously occupied by the Collins
Hardware Company. However, this forced move proved
«o be the very best thing that could have happened, as
the greater facilities in the new building enabled Mr.
Bownes to enlarge his business and to accomplish more,
and the progress has been much greater than ever could
have been in the old store.

In 1920 Mr. Bownes became interested in the Water-
proof Paint and Varnish Company, at Watertown,
Massachusetts, and there manufactures a line of paint
and varnish products, known under the trade name of
the "Red Oval Line." The excellence of all the products
of Mr. Bownes' manufacture is known wherever paints
and varnishes are used, and he is held in high esteem
among the business men of Essex county. Mr. Bownes
is fraternally affiliated with the Masonic Lodge and the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Mr. Bownes married, in November, 1909, Betsey M.
Amable, of Danvers, Massachusetts, and they make
their home in Salem.



upon in Peabody as one of the foremost practitioners
of his day. He is frequently called in consultation, and
does a great deal of X-ray work. He is a recognized
authority in his profession, and is much sought for
medical services of a public nature. He is on the sur-
gical staff of the Thomas Memorial Hospital, of Pea-
body; was school physician for a considerable period;
and is examining physician for the old line insurance
companies. He is a graduate fellow of the American
Medical Association ; a member of the Massachusetts
Medical Society; a member of the Peabody Doctors'
Club; of the Massachusetts Society of Examining Phy-
sicians; and of the Medical Veterans of the World
War. He was secretary of the Medical Advisory
Board, No. 28, of Massachusetts; and a member of
tlie Medical Service Corps.

Dr. Kelley's college fraternity is Alpha Kappa Kappa.
He is a member of the Boston City Hospital Alumni
Association; and the Providence Lying-In Hospital
Alumni Association. He is a member of the Knights
of Columbus; of the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks; and of the Peabody Rotary Club; and is a
trustee of the Peabody Institute.

In political matters, the doctor declines to pledge
himself to any party, casting his vote independently for
the candidate which he believes will best serve the
public, and fearlessly throwing his influence on the side
of right.

Dr. Kelley married, on October 12, 1914. Mary E.
Reynolds, daughter of Richard and Margaret (Small)
Reynolds, of Woburn, Massachusetts. Mrs. Kelley's
parents are now both deceased. Dr. and Mrs. Kelley
have three children : Thomas Reynolds, Eleanor Lor-
aine, and Lawrence Kendall, Jr. The family are mem-
bers of the Roman Catholic church.



LAWRENCE KENDALL KELLEY, M. D., is one

of the leading physicians of Peabody, Massachusetts.
Well established in a wide and successful practice, enjoy-
ing the confidence and respect of the public, he holds
a high and influential position in the city and in his
profession.

Dr. Kelley is the only child of Thomas and Cather-
ine A. (Long) Kelley. His father is a veteran in the
watch repairing business ; his mother is now deceased.

Dr. Kelley was born in Haverhill, Massachusetts, on
January 8, 1887. He received his early education at
St. James' Parochial School, then entered Tufts Med-
ical School, from which he was graduated in 1912, with
the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He passed the
Massachusetts State Board in 1012, and then became
interne at the Boston City Hospital. There he remained
for two years, then spent four months at the Providence
Lying-in Hospital. He opened an office at Peabody,
Massachusetts, in 1914, and entered upon the general
practice of medicine and surgery D - Kelley is looked



HAROLD MEYER SISKIND— There has come in
these modern times a new type of citizenship, and its
keynote is helpfulness. Society demands that all of
its parts shall contribute something to the public well-
being. Each may choose his method of so doing, but
none may withhold service and be called a good citizen.

Harold Meyer Siskind is a good lawyer. He has
the mind, the training, the character that makes for
high standing in his profession. To the legal type of
mind is added business acumen and a money sense that
is carrying him far and fast on the road to wealth. He
is, however, more than a fine lawyer and successful
business man; he is a good citizen in the fullest mean-
ing of the word. The presence of need he considers a
command for his services, and he gives them freely,
wisely and constantly. He has been the benefactor of
the community and is becoming known and appreci-
ated.

Harold Meyer Siskind is a native of Lawrence, Mas-
sachusetts, born on February 25, 1894- His father, Dr.
Alexander L., and mother, Rebecca (Herman) Siskind,
are well known in Lawrence, the former being an emi-
nent physician, as well as a bank director and large real
estate owner in the city.

Harold Meyer Siskind is an alumnus of Lawrence
High School, class of 1912. He went to Phillips An-
dover Academy to prepare for Boston University, and
was graduated from the Academy in 1914, and from



THE NEW YORK
PUBLIC UBRAR1?

ASTOR, LETJOX
I TILDEN FOUNDATIONS





c=c\3




BIOGRAPHICAL



339



the law department of Boston University in 1917, receiv-
ing from the latter the degree of Bachelor of Laws.
Admitted to the bar the same year, he started the prac-
tice of law in Lawrence with the firm of Eaton & Chan-
dler, remaining there for three years.

With the year 1920 came the opportunity of opening
his own law offices. He began the handling of his
growing law business alone and secured his own office,
and is now of the firm of McAnally, Peirce & Siskind,
Bay State building. Rooms Nos. 724-727, inclusive. He
is a member of the Essex County and Lawrence (Mas-
sachusetts) Bar associations.

.Among his many business interests are those in the
theatrical and amusement world. He is president of the
Victoria Company, operators of the Victoria Theatre;
and president and treasurer of the Capitol Amusement
Company, and treasurer of the Broadway Company, of
Lawrence. For two years he has been a director of the
very large Chamber of Commerce, and is now vice-
president of it; he belongs to the Zeta Beta Tau fra-
ternity, Boston L^niversity.

During the World War much of his energy was
given to the different movements in his city, being a
very efficient captain of the various Liberty Loan cam-
paigns, serving also on the Legal Advisory Board. In
any effort made looking toward civic betterment, Mr.
Siskind has been prompt in giving aid. He is serving
(1921) as Jewish juvenile probation officer; is a past
president of the Young Men's Hebrew Association ;
and holds membership in the Temple Emanuel Church,
being one of its directors and trustees.



DAVID ALBERT ACKER was bom at Halifax,
Nova Scotia, .\pril 3, 1867, and is a son of Henry and
Barbary Ellen (Lloy) Acker. His grandfather, Henry
.'\cker. was born at Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, as was
also the subject's father, Henry Acker, who became a
farmer. He led a very retired life, devoting himself
to the management of his farm, and taking no part in
politics or other public concerns. He died at the age
of seventy-six years. Mr. Acker's mother was Scotch
by birth.

Mr. Acker received his early education in the public
schools, and spent two years in high school. At the
age of twenty-one, he moved to Burlington, Massachu-
setts, and was for four years engaged in farming. .\t
the age of twenty-five, Mr. Acker decided to enter the
business world and established himself as a contractor
at Waltham. Massachusetts. In 190J, he moved to
Methuen, Massachusetts, where he now lives, an(d
engaged in various business enterprises until, some
time later, he became connected with the Abathaw
Construction Company, of Boston. This connection
lasted for nine years, at the end of which time, in
April, 1920, Mr. Acker resigned in order to take charge
of the affairs of the Universal Tide Power Company,
at Lawrence. This is a large Massachusetts corpora-
tion which has been formed in order to demonstrate
and develop the patented inventions of John A. Knowl-
ton. The company has constructed a large plant at
Saugus, Massachusetts, where the devices of the com-
pany can be demonstrated. Mr. Knowlton, the treasurer
of the company, is a resident of Dorchester, Massa-
chusetts.



Mr. .Acker is a member of the Episcopal church. He
is a Republican in politics, and had charge of the cam-
paign for the nomination of Senator Hiram Johnson
of California for President of the United States, at
Lawrence, in 1920. Mr. Acker belongs to the Fraternal
Order of Eagles, and is a member of the Lawrence
lodge of that order. He is also a member of the Loyal
Order of Moose and belongs to the Lawrence lodge of
the organization.

He married Naomi S. Daniels, at Waltham, Massa-
chusetts, November 16, 1892. Mrs. Acker is a daugh-
ter of John W. and Emma (Readon) Daniels, and was
born in Nova Scotia. Her father was a deep sea diver.
Mr. and Mrs. Acker have four sons: i. Ralph Robert-
son .Acker, born September 11, 1894, served with the
Seventy-sixth Connecticut Infantry during the World
War, and was in active service overseas for eleven
months. In Tune, 1921, he graduated from Wentworth
Institute, at Boston, as draftsman and engineer, and is
now a teacher in a Nashua, New Hampshire, public
school. 2. Albert Clayton Acker, born September 6,
1898, is a student at Dartmouth College, class of 1922.
He enlisted in a unit recruited from the college, and
was ready to sail for France as an officer when the
.'\rmistice was signed and the war came to an end. 3.
Wilber Weston Acker, born September 26, 1899. 4.
Henry Palmer Acker, born January 12, 1901.



ARTHUR W. LONVAL, a progressive merchant of
Lynn, Massachusetts, was born in Amesbury, Septem-
ber 7, 1878, son of Joseph N. and Marguerite (Kliveen)
Lonval. .After completing the courses in the public and
high schools of that city, he started his business career
as a clerk in the men's furnishing store of C. W. Saw-
yer. By diligence and thrift, and with a knowledge of
the business which he learned by strict application to
his duties, Mr. Lonval was preparing the way to opening
a similar business on his own account. In 1900 he left
Amesbury and came to Lynn, where five years later he
engaged in business for himself. He was a successful
clerk and it naturally follows that he has become a suc-
cessful merchant and is highly respected among the
citizens of Lynn. Mr. Lonval is a member of the
Swampscott Masonic Club; of the Oxford Club; and a
director of the State National Bank. With his family
he attends the Episcopal church and aids in its support.

Mr. Lonval married, September 23, 1903, Edith F.
Meader, daughter of John Meader, of Newburyport,
and they are the parents of a daughter, born January
29. 1905-

THOMAS RILEY— A citizen of Lawrence, Massa-
chusetts, since his boyhood, Thomas Riley, overseer of
the wool-washing department of the Arlington Mills of
that city, has achieved a place of prominence in the
industrial and civic life of that community through his
uprightness and his active work in the welfare of others.

Mr. Riley is a native of the country that has sent so
many good Americans to this side of the water, and he
was bom in County Cavan, Ireland, March 14, 1851.
His father, John Riley, was a native of this same
county, and died in 1858. The mother of Thomas
Riley, Marguerite O'Brien, was a native of County
Cork, Ireland, whose death preceded that of her hus-
band's five years.



340



ESSEX COUNTY



In the summer of l?65, when this country was just
coming to the end of the conflict that had torn it
asunder for four years, Thomas Riley came to America,
and located in Lawrence, Massachusetts, where he ob-
tained his education. After leaving school he obtained
employment setting bobbins in the Pacific Mills, where
he remained for three years. In 1874 he made a trip
to his native land and was gone nearly a year, returning
to America in the fall of 1875. In September of the
same year Mr. Riley went to work for the Arlington
Mills in the wool-washing department, and in due
course of time his diligence and ability were noted and
he was promoted through the various positions until
he became overseer of the department in 1894 and has
since been the active head of this department.

Mr. Riley has seen the business output increase from
800 pounds of wool a week to the present output of
1,000,000 pounds, and with this increase in the volume
of business, and the many other details that naturally
became a part of it, Mr. Riley has kept step and has
maintained the same high efficiency of management at
all times. He has the distinction of being the oldest
man in point of service in the Arlington Mills, having
completed forty-seven consecutive years in their employ,
and a short time ago was presented with a pin in
recognition of these faithful years of service. At the
completion of his half century mark, Mr. Riley will
receive the diamond service emblem of recognition.

Much of Mr. Riley's time outside of business is taken
up with the work of charitable organizations, and there
are many needy citizens of Lawrence whose needs are
lessened through his thoughtfulness and work, partic-
ularly with the St. Vincent de Paul Society, widely
recognized as one of the foremost charitable organi-
zations.

Mr. Riley married, in 1889, Julia Ring, daughter of



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 13 of 56)