Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 14 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 14 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Jeremiah Ring, of Boston ; she was born in County
Cork. Mr. and Mrs. Riley are the parents of two
daughters: Marguerite A., born May 18, 1896; and
Mary V., born June 23, 1898, both now being engaged
as school teachers in Lawrence. Mr. Riley and his
family attend St. Mary's Church of Lawrence, and he
is a member of the Holy Name Society of this church,
and otherwise active in many of its organizations.



CHARLES JOSEPH GOLDMAN, LL. B., of

Lynn, whose name is gaining wide recognition in Essex
county, Massachusetts, was born December 16, 1887, in
Boston, and is a son of Harris and Rose Goldman, for-
merly of that city, but for many years residents of
Lj'nn.

Receiving his early education in the public schools
and the Classical High School of Lynn, he then entered
Boston University, from which he was graduated, cum
hude, in 1909, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws.
Following this he took post-graduate work at Harvard
University, and has since carried on the general prac-
tice of law in Essex and Suffolk counties, in this State.
He became associated with Judge Henry T. Summers,
of the Superior Court, and Ex-Mayor Charles Neal
Barney, with whom he practiced for seven years before
engaging in business for himself.

Mr. Goldman enlisted in the Reserve Force of the
United States navy as second-class seaman during the



World War, and was later attached to the United
States Naval Aviation Detachment. He is a member
of the American Legion. In public life Mr. Goldman
has served as secretary of the Lynn Republican Club,
and is also ex-secretary of the Lynn Republican City
Committee. He holds the thirty-second degree in the
Masonic order, is a member of the Massachusetts Con-
sistory, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite ; and .Aleppo
Temple. Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic
Shrine, of Boston. He is a member of the Zeta Beta
Tau fraternity.

Mr. Goldman married, April 2, 1919, Marian A.
Leavitt, of Boston, daughter of Gertrude Leavitt, and
they reside in Lynn with their two sons : James J. and
Robert S.



RICHARD J. SPENCER, of Cliftondale, Essex
county, Massachusetts, is one of those forward-looking
men whose vision of the future includes not only his
personal success, but comprises also the broad and
Increasing prosperity and importance of the community
of which he is a resident.

Mr. Spencer is a son of Thomas T. Spencer, who
has for many years carried on large farming opera-
tions in Maiden, Massachusetts, and conducts an exten-
sive milk business in that city. Mr. Spencer is now
(1922) the owner of the well-known Oaklandale Farm,
which is one of the show places of this vicinity. He
married Julia A. Mahoney, of Maiden, who is also
still living.

Richard J. Spencer, son of Thomas T. and Julia A.
(Mahoney) Spencer, was born in Maiden, August 24,
1890, and received a thoroughly practical education in
the public and high schools of Maiden, being gradujited
from high school in the class of 1908. After completing
his studies he remained with his father on the farm for
a time, but determining upon a business career, he went
to Boston, where he learned the plumbing trade with
R. H. James & Company, of that city, being with that
concern for three years. Removing thereafter to Lynn,
he was first employed by George Caswell, then later by
F. H. White. In 1913 Mr. Spencer started in business
for himself in Lynn, in association with a partner,
under the firm name of Oine & Spencer, with head-
quarters on Broadway. After about two years he
bought out Mr. Oine, and has since continued business
alone, under his own name. He is now located at
Cliftondale, and is doing a thriving business in plumb-
ing and heating, having a very complete stock and
equipment. He also does everything in the tin and sheet
metal line.

In the community interests of Cliftondale Mr. Spencer
always supports any advance movement, but his busi-
ness activities prevent him from taking a leading part
in political afTairs. He is a member of the Knights of
Columbus.

Mr. Spencer married, in 1914, Alfreda Magg, of
West Lynn, daughter of William A. and Martha ( Wie-
gert) Magg, of West Lynn. Mrs. Spencer's father,
who was a machinist, died in 191 2, but her mother is
still living. Mr. and Mrs. Spencer have two daughters
and a son: Dorothea, born March 14, 1917; Mary Ger-
trude, born in 1919; and Richard J., Jr., born October
26, 1921.



^^^S^oJ




C^/Z^tn-*^ ^



cflGl-.^i^



r



BIOGRAPHICAL



341



JOHN W. SUMNER, manufacturer of sole leather
counters, of Lynn, Massachusetts, was born in Haver-
hill, Massachusetts, March 16, 1887, son of Arthur B.
Sumner. The latter founded the business of which his
son is now the head, and for thirty-seven years suc-
cessfully managed its operation. It was established in
1883, in Haverhill, by Mr. Sumner and his brother,
they doing business as Sumner Brothers. Later this
partnership was dissolved and Arthur B. Sumner then
did business under the name of the Haverhill Counter
Company for several years. The business was moved to
Lynn in 1905.

John \V. Sumner attended the public schools, Mitch-
ell's Military College, and the Bryant & Stratton Busi-
ness College of Boston. Immediately after completing
his formal education, Mr. Sumner entered the employ
of his father and in 1912 was admitted to partnership.
At this same time the firm name was changed to A. B.
Sumner & Son. When the elder Mr. Sumner retired in
1920 his son assumed the management and responsibil-
ities, and a year later the name was changed to John
W. Sumner.

Mr. Sumner is a member of the Mystic Shrine; and
Lynn Commandery, Knights Templar; his clubs include
the Oxford, the Neighborhood, the Homestead Golf,
and the Tedesco Country. He enlisted in the Regular
army in September, 1918, and was stationed at Camp
Johnston, Florida, where he served as a private in
Motor Company No. 2, Motor Transport Corps.

Mr. Sumner married Carrie George, of Lynn, daugh-
ter of Willis W. and M. Josephine (Tapley) George.
Mr. and Mrs. Sumner are the parents of two sons:
Louis B. and John W., Jr.



his country during the World War, from .August, 1917,
until February, 1918, serving in the Marine Corps, sta-
tioned at Paris Island, South Carolina; and Miriam P.



SAMUEL E. KNAPP— In 1910 Mr. Knapp estab-
lished himself in Salem, Massachusetts, and there is
head of a good business. He is of the English Knapp
family, this branch seated in Hanover, Massachusetts.
Samuel E. Knapp was a son of Joseph F. Knapp, of
Hanover, Massachusetts, who was engaged in the shoe
business until his death in 1869. He married Mary A.
Downing, of East Wakefield, New Hampshire, who
died in Peabody, Massachusetts, in 1897.

Samuel E. Knapp, son of Joseph F. and Mary A.
(Downing) Knapp, was born in Farmington, New
Hampshire, March 20, 1866, and was educated in the
public schools of Haverhill, Massachusetts. After leav-
ing school he learned the tanner's trade with Phillips
& Cashman, remaining with that firm six years. At
the end of that period, about thirty-six years ago, he
engaged in business for himself in Peabody. Later he
moved to Tapleyville, Massachusetts, there operating a
tannery until burned out in 1910. He then located in
Salem, where he is conducting a successful business.
He is a tanning expert and master of the business which
he has followed from youth.

Mr. Knapp is a member of the Salem Chamber of
Commerce; is a member and a deacon of the Advent
Church, also superintendent of the Sunday school; and
in politics is a Republican.

Mr. Knapp married, July 13, 1889, Sarah Pierce, of
Peabody, and they are the parents of : Ruth G., Alma
P.; Margaret; Harold E., who was in the service of



CHARLES O. HALI One of the many allied

interests which stand back of the shoe industry is the
pattern plant of which Charles O. Hall is the head and
owner, doing business under the name of the Lynn
Pattern Works.

Mr. Hall was born in Newcastle, Maine, November
22, 1877, and is a son of Lincoln and Miranda (Hodg-
kins) Hall, then prosperous farming people of that
section. The elder Mr. Hall died in 1918, but his wife,
who was born in Jefferson, Maine, died in 1913.

Charles O. Hall gained a thoroughly practical educa-
tion in the public schools of his native town, then came
to Middlesex county, Massachusetts, where he entered
the employ of the General Electric Company, of Ever-
ett, in their machine pattern department. He remained
with this concern for about nine years, and thereafter
came to Lynn, and established himself in the pattern
business. He has built up an extensive trade, and makes
both wood and metal patterns, and all kinds of castings,
specializing in patterns for sole rounding machines.

Mr. Hall is a member of the Lynn Chamber of Com-
merce. Fraternally he holds membership in the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Knights of
Pythias, both of Salem, and is a member of the Salem
Baptist Church.

Mr. Hall married Celeste L. Nash, of Jefferson,
Maine, daughter of Wilson and Lucy A. (Ross) Nash,
of that place. Mrs. Hall's mother died in 1901. Mr.
and Mrs. Hall have two sons : Harry S., and Elston M.
The elder son is a student at the Salem High School,
class of 1924. The family reside in Salem.



ALONZO EDWARD QUICK— In the city of Lynn
the name of Alonzo E. Quick is well known, as that of
one of the most highly esteemed undertakers. Mr.
Quick is also broadly active in every phase of public
interest. He is a son of Francis R. and Frances J.
Quick, long residents of Westchester county. New York.

Mr. Quick was born in Golden's Bridge, Westchester
county, New York, June 14, 1868, and was educated in
the graded schools of the neighboring town of Katonah.
At the age of eighteen years he entered the employ of
Hoyt Brothers, a prominent undertaking concern of
that town, remaining with them for several years. In
1891 he came to Lynn, and shortly afterwards became
associated with John W. Darcy, then a leading under-
taker of this city. About a year later they formed a
partnership under the firm name of Darcy & Quick,
which endured until the death of the senior partner in
1914. Mr. Quick then took over the entire business, and
has since conducted it very successfully, winning his
way to a high position in the confidence and respect of
the people. He has adopted the modern equipments as
they have come forth from time to time. With head-
quarters at Nos. 204 and 206 South Common street, he
is widely sought for the duties of his profession.

Mr. Quick is a member of the Massachusetts Under-
takers' Association, and of the National Selected Morti-
cians. He is a member of the Lynn Chamber of Cora-



342



ESSEX COUNTY



merce, and takes a deep interest in every advance move-
ment. During the World War Mr. Quick was very
prominent in all the activities in support of the Amer-
ican Expeditionary Forces, and took a leading part in
all Liberty Loan drives. He is a member of the Free
and Accepted Masons, of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, and of the Rotary Club. In 1904 Alonzo Ed-
ward Quick married Mabel M., daughter of John W.,
and .-Mice M. Darcy, of Lynn; and they have three chil-
dren : J. Randolph, Mabel R., and Alonzo E., Jr.



JAMES F. BARRY— In the leather industry in
Esse.x county, Massachusetts, the name of Barry is
well known in connection with the production of fine
goat and sheep skins, used for colored footwear, and
velvet ooze leather.

James F. Barry was born in Ireland, May 15, 1864,
and is a son of Patrick and Mary Barry, both now
deceased. The elder Mr. Barry was a tanner by trade
and was for many years employed in this industry in
Essex county, principally in Peabody.

Coming to the United States with his parents in
1870, James F. Barry received a practical education in
the public and grammar schools of Peabody, the neces-
sity of becoming self-supporting precluding a higher
education. Following the line in which his father was
employed, the young man learned the tanner's trade, in
the employ of Pemberton Brothers, of this city. With
characteristic independence Mr. Barry started in busi-
ness for himself, in 1894. Beginning in a small way he
built up a thriving business, and two years after the
start was obliged to secure larger and more suitable
quarters. He located at No. 48 Foster street, where he
has done business for the past twenty-five years. Dur-
ing that period Mr. Barry has seen wonderful develop-
ment in the methods of dyeing and treating skins, and
has kept pace with this advance in every respect. His
long experience has been particularly valuable in the
past few years in meeting conditions due to the popu-
larity of colored footwear, especially in the production
of velvet ooze leather. He manufactures all colors in
kid and sheep skins. In connection with the production
end of the business, Mr. Barry has developed a very
considerable interest in selling direct to the consumer,
and his plans for expansion in the very near future
include the establishment of a retail store in the city of
Boston.

Mr. Barry is a member of the Peabody Chamber of
Commerce, and fraternally is affiliated with the Benev-
olent and Protective Order of Elks.

Mr. Barry married Margaret Brennan, of Salem, and
they have four children : Margaret E., now Mrs. Burke,
of Lynn; Alicia M., the wife of James McNeff ; James
T. ; and Arthur J., now (1922) a student in Exeter
Academy.



WILLIAM C. CROWLEY— Widely interested in
commercial and civic progress in Andover, Massachu-
setts, William C. Crowley is a prominent figure in many
circles here. He was born in Andover, October 25,
1871, the son of Cornelius and Ellen (Burns) Crowley,
both born in Ireland. He received his early education
in the public schools of the town, later attending Can-
non's Commercial College, in Lawrence, and there gain-



. ing practical preparation for success in the business
world. Entering the employ of Arthur Bliss, then a
leading Andover druggist, in 1885, Mr. Crowley re-
mained with him for nearly twenty years, first in a sub-
ordinate capacity, later bearing more responsibility, and
eventually thoroughly mastering the business. In 1907
Mr. Crowley started for himself in the same business,
and is now one of the leading men of the day in this
line of endeavor.

In connection with the main interest outlined above,
Mr. Crowley owns a tailoring and men's furnishing
establishment, which is also contributing materially to
his success.

For many years Mr. Crowley has been active in civic
matters in Andover. He has been chairman of the
Democratic Town Committee for the past seventeen
years. By no means entirely in a political sense, he has
always been interested in the betterment of conditions
in the community and the advancement of the general
good. During the World War, 1917-18, Mr. Crowley
was treasurer of the Red Cross, and was a member of
the United States Food Administration, also on the
local Committee on Public Safety. He has for some
years filled the local office of Sealer of Weights and
Measures.

Mr. Crowley is a member of the National Associa-
tion of Retail Druggists, of the Massachusetts Phar-
maceutical Association, and of the Massachusetts Seal-
ers' Association. Fraternally he is prominent in An-
dover Council, No. 1078, Knights of Columbus. He is
also a member of the Andover Club.

On July 10, 1907, Mr. Crowley married Mary Buck-
ley, daughter of Daniel Buckley, of Andover, and they
have three sons: William C, Jr., born April 13. 1909;
Woodrow Wilson, born July 2, 1912; and Paul, born
October 29, 1914. The family are members of St.
Augustine's Parish, and the children attend St August-
ine's Parochial School.



JOHN BROADHURST— A rising young architect,
whose work is attracting much favorable attention, is
John Broadhurst, of Lawrence, Massachusetts. Mr.
Broadhurst is a son of Walter and Mary (Cooper)
Broadhurst, who were born in England, and are now
residents of Andover, Essex county. Massachusetts.
Walter Broadhurst is associated with the Pacific Mills,
in the print works.

John Broadhurst was bom in Derbyshire, England,
on March 19, 1886, and came to this country with his
parents at the age of four years. Receiving his early
education in the parochial schools of Lawrence, where
the family located, he left school at the age of thirteen
years to enter the world of industry. He had a settled
ambition, however, and circumstances could not deter
him from accomplishing it. Before his graduation from
the Massachusetts Institute of Technology he was
employed in an architect's office for seven years. He
also studied architecture at night. He was graduated
from the Institute with the degree of B. S. in 1915.
Thereafter, Mr. Broadhurst was in the employ of local
architects for about three years, then opened an office
for himself. He has attained, already, a marked degree
of success, having done some of the best work of the
day in the recent building operations in Lawrence. He



;„f-KUB»^^'



lOR.



,^SSo^



it^^-^





^




BIOGRAPHICAL



343



has designed a large number of residences, and one of
the most noteworthy of his designs of public buildings
is a modern theatre on Broadway. Another is the $ioo,-
ooo Lithuanian Roman Catholic Church — St. Francis ;
other buildings are "The Electrical House," which is
his own residence and which when opened was visited
by 9,000 people; the Lyons theatre and office building,
at Methuen ; and St. Monica's parochial residence,
Methucn. Nor is his field confined to the local build-
ing world ; he has designed buildings for a number of
out-of-town mercantile and industrial organizations,
notably the Carlyle Cord Tire Company building, of
Stamford, Connecticut.

In fraternal circles Mr. Broadhurst is well known,
being a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks, No. 65, and of Lawrence Council, Knights of
Columbus.

In 1909 Mr. Broadhurst married, in Lawrence, Ellen
M. Livingstone, daughter of Thomas and Jane (Horm-
by) Livingstone, and they have two children: Doro-
thy M,, horn July 13, 191 1, and Leonard L., born
December 25, 1913. The family are members of St.
Mary's Roman Catholic Church.



WILLIAM J. DOHERTY— .^ lifelong resident of
Andover, Massachusetts, and for many years promi-
nent as a contractor and builder, William J. Doherty
has borne a part in the constructive activities of the
town for the past sixteen years.

Mr. Doherty was bom in Andover. on July 27, 1869,
and is a son of John and Margaret (Hart) Doherty,
both deceased. John Doherty was a gardener by occu-
pation, but was killed in a railroad accident in Andover.

Acquiring a practical education in the public schools
of Andover, Mr. Doherty, as a young man, entered the
employ of the Craighead & Kintz Manufacturing Com-
pany, of Ballard Vale, Massachusetts, where he remained
for three years. Thereafter he worked for George S.
Cole, of Andover, for a similar period, and while in this
connection, learned the carpenter's trade. He then was
associated with Hardy & Cole, in Andover, for about
fifteen years, following this trade. In 1905 Mr. Doherty
started in business for himself, along the line of con-
tracting. He was successful from the beginning, and
has come to a point where he holds a leading position
in this branch of endeavor in this vicinity. Mr. Doherty
does business under his own name, W. J. Doherty, Car-
penter and Builder.

In fraternal circles Mr. Doherty is prominent. He
was a charter member of Andover Council, No. 1078,
Knights of Columbus, and has been a member of Mer-
rimac Council, Royal Arcanum, of Lawrence, Massachu-
setts, for thirty-one years. In the public life of the
town he has held the responsible position of election
officer for the past twenty-eight years.

On June 20, 1899, Mr- Doherty married Josephine
Powers, of Haverhill, Massachusetts, and they have
five children : John P. S., now employed in the adver-
tising department of the Lawrence "Eagle-Tribune ;"
William A., student at St. Rita Hall, at Villanova,
Pennsylvania; Margaret, now (1922) in parochial
school ; Joseph, also in parochial school ; and James,
five years of age. The family are members of St.
Augustine's Parish, of Andover.



WILLIS RICHARDSON, for several years a resi-
dent of Lawrence, Massachusetts, is making a business
success in a line allied with the metal trades. He was
born in Pittsville, Maryland, on February 17, i888.
Receiving a thorough grounding in the essentials of
education in the public schools of Pittsville, he took up
telegraphy, and in 1900 accepted a position as a rail-
way telegraph operator. Later, however, he turned to
mechanical work, and in 1914 began welding. He
became an expert at this art, and coming to Lawrence
in 1916, entered the employ of the F. T. Abell Com-
jjany, where he remained for about two years. In July,
191S, Mr. Richardson started in business for himself,
and now has a large and rapidly growing business in
the acetylene welding of metals. This business is by
no means confined to the city of Lawrence, but extends
to states as far west as the Mississippi Valley. Mr.
Richardson is located at Lowell street, Lawrence, in a
building which he specially constructed for the busi-
ness, and it is one of the best equipped welding shops
in New England ; he is doing business under the name of
the Auto Welding Company.

Mr. Richardson married, in 1912, in Boston, Massa-
chusetts, Marie Simonds, of that city, and they have
two daughters, Edith and Grace. The family resides
at No. 70 Boxford street. South Lawrence, and attends
the Episcopal church.



NAPOLEON OUELLETT— Closely identified with
the physical growth and development of Salem, Massa-
chusetts, is Napoleon Ouellett, the well-known con-
tractor of No. I Harbor street, who besides the import-
ant business he carries on as a building contractor,
owns large real estate holdings in the city and its
environs.

Mr. Ouellett was born in Quebec, Canada, on Sep-
tember 9, 1874, and is a son of Napoleon and Osite
(Correar) Ouellett. The father owned a flour and saw
mill in Canada, and did custom milling for the resi-
dents of a large farming region. After completing his
grammar school studies the son worked with his father
for five years. Then the family removed to Salem, Mas-
sachusetts, where Napoleon the elder entered the employ
of the Trask Roofing Company, and learned the tin-
smith and roofing trade. When he became skilled in
this work he started in business for himself, and his
son worked with him, also learning the trade. After
his father's death the younger man carried on the busi-
ness alone. Possessed of excellent business ability, and
an industrious and capable worker, Mr. Ouellett was
more than ordinarily successful from the start. He
was deeply interested in the real estate situation in the
rapidly growing city, and when he was able to command
a little capital invested it in that class of property. By
judicious turns and far-sighted investments, he was
enabled gradually to increase his holdings, until now
he is one of the important individual owners of real
estate operating in Salem. The great fire of 1914 did
serious damage to much of his property, but in the
rebuilding of the city he handled a large amount of
work, and by careful management was enabled to
recoup his losses. He recently built a very beautiful
modern apartment house, called the Napoleon Apart-
ments. Mr. Ouellett is a thoroughgoing American, and



344



ESSEX COUNTY



a supporter of the policies of the Republican party. He
keeps in close touch with the city government, and is a
member of the Chamber of Commerce.

He married, in Canada, on February 15, 1909, Mary
Laura Leveille, who was also born in Canada, and their
eight children are: Cecile, Irene, Mary Laura, Helene,
Napoleon, Jr., Girard, Rita, and Elizabeth Yvonne. Mr.
Ouellett is himself one of ten children, he having four
brothers and five sisters. The family have always been
devout attendants upon the services of the Roman
Catholic church, and since coming to Salem have been
members of St. Joseph's Church.



HENRY CURTIS WINN, one of the most success-
ful business men of Haverhill, Massachusetts, was born
November 27, i860, in Burnham, Maine, son of Lyman
and Harriet N. (Perkins) Winn. The former was
engaged in farming at Eurnham for many years and
lived to the advanced age of eighty-two years. Mrs.
Winn was also a native of Burnham, and she died in
1901. After completing his formal education Mr. Winn
learned the machinist's trade while working for the



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 14 of 56)