Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 15 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 15 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


F. S. Perkins Company of Lowell, Massachusetts, and
when he had completed his apprenticeship, went to Marl-
boro, Massachusetts, where he was employed at this
occupation for two years. At the end of this time he
came to Haverhill and entered the employ of the Haver-
hill Iron Works, and was subsequently employed in a
mechanical capacity by various firms ; each new posi-
tion he held not only gave him more experience but
also enlarged his skill, and it was natural that after a
time he would turn to the automobile repair work,
then in its early stages. After four years Mr. Winn
engaged in the business of automobile repairing on his
own account, taking as a partner Frank Bailey, of
Haverhill, and the firm name was Winn & Bailey, con-
tinuing in this form until 1918, when Mr. Bailey sold
his interest to Mr. Winn, and at the same time the
business was removed to Haverhill and the name
changed to Kenoza Garage, with Mr. Winn as manager.
An accessory store was opened in connection with the
garage; the latter has a storage space of 3,750 square
feet, and is one of the largest in Haverhill. Mr. Winn
is a member of the Haverhill Chamber of Commerce
and also of the Ancient Order of United Workmen.

In 1884 he married Annie W. Whitten, of Burnham,
Maine, and their children are : Lyman E., foreman of
the Kenoza Garage; and Doris B., a graduate of Dr.
Arnold's Physical Culture School of New Haven, and
is now a teacher at the Young Women's Christian Asso-
ciation in Portland, Maine.



ARTHUR E. STEINERT, who is in the contract-
ing field in Lawrence, Massachusetts, has within the
past few years become identified with the progress of
the city. Mr. Steinert is a son of Otto E. and Emily
Steinert, of this city. Otto E. Steinert was born in
Lawrence, and for the past thirty years has been a well-
known figure in building circles in this vicinity.

Arthur E. Steinert was born in Lawrence, on August
8, 1888. He received his early education in the public
schools, attended the evening high school while he
assisted his father during the day, then completed his
formal studies with a course at the Lawrence Commer-



cial College. Having already chosen his line of future
endeavor, the young man then learned the trade of car-
penter and builder with his father. Beginning in 1904,
he worked with his father until his enlistment for the
World War in the United States navy, on June 4, 1918.
The need of skilled labor of every kind was so great
that he was immediately detailed as chief carpenter to
the naval ammunition depot, at Hingham, Massachu-
setts, where he served until his discharge, in January,
1919. Returning to Lawrence, Mr. Steinert made a
definite start for himself in the construction world, open-
ing an office in the Bay State building. He has made
a most promising beginning, handling general construc-
tion, and thus far specializing in residences and com-
mercial buildings.

Mr. Steinert is a member of the Lawrence Master
Builders' Association, and of the Home Club. Frater-
nally he is well known, being a member of Grecian
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons ; Mount Sinai Chap-
ter, Royal Arch Masons; Lawrence Council, Royal and
Select Masters ; Bethany Commandery, Knights Tem-
plar ; and is also a member of Aleppo Temple, Ancient
Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Boston.
He also is a member of Essex Lodge, Knights of
Pythias. Mr. Steinert resides at No. 288 High street,
Lawrence.



EDWARD PERLEY ELDREDGE— For a num-
ber of years prominent in the business world of East-
ern Massachusetts, and now devoting his practical abil-
ity and experience to the public service, Edward Perley
Eldredge, city clerk of Beverly, Massachusetts, is a
representative citizen of Essex county.

Mr. Eldredge is a son of Perley Gillam and Mary
Augusta (Kennison) Eldredge. Perley G. Eldredge
was born in Beverly, and served in the Civil War, but
never was in any active engagement, entering the serv-
ice late in the period of the war. Thus he served for
only three months as a member of the 8th Massachu-
setts Infantry, unattached. He was mustered out at
Readville, Massachusetts. He died at the age of seventy-
seven, in 1919. His wife, who was also bom in Bev-
erly, still resides here, and is seventy-three years of age.

Edward Perley Eldredge was bom in Beverly, on
May 21, 1872. He received his early education in the
public schools of this city, then continued his studies at
the part-time high school. This preparation he followed
with a course at Burdette's Business College, this also
being in part-time hours. The young man spent some
time with the John M. Carriave Paper Company, then
later was with the United Shoe Machinery Corporation,
holding a responsible position in their order department
for thirteen years.

Having been practically a lifetime resident of Bev-
erly, Mr. Eldredge has been, ever since his majority,
more or less interested in the public life of the city. He
has always supported the Republican party, and of
more recent years has been a leader in party affairs.
For several years he was financial secretary of the
Beverly Republican Club. Thus, Mr. Eldredge's elec-
tion, in 1918, to the office of city clerk was in the natural
course. The choice of the people has been amply vindi-
cated in his service since assuming the duties of this
office. He is often referred to as the "right man in the





yjT'i^^ U^lf^-zr-z^Vc^^^^. ,



BIOGRAPHICAL



345



right place," and is bearing an important part in the
city government.

Mr. Eldredge married, in Beverly, Emily Reed Craig,
a daughter of William J. and Ella L. Craig. The fam-
ily are members of the Baptist church.



ALBERT HENRY RICHARDSON— Holding a

position of broad public responsibility, Albert H. Rich-
ardson, of Beverly, Massachusetts, is closely identified
with the physical growth and progress of the city as
city engineer. Mr. Richardson was born in Essex,
. Massachusetts, on October 22, 1884, and is a son of
William A. and Grace (Burnham) Richardson, long
residents of Essex.

Receiving his early education in the public schools of
his native place, the young man also covered the high
school course. During this time, and through his early
employment, Mr. Richardson took advantage of spare
hours to fit himself for the place higher up. He was
first employed as rodman in the engineering depart-
ment of the city of Beverly, then, in time, his studies,
together with the practical experience which he was
gaining meanwhile, fitted him for his present position
at the head of this department. He was made city
engineer of Beverly in 1917, and still ably fills this
office. Mr. Richardson is deeply interested in every
phase of public progress, and politically supports the
Republican party. He is also a member of the Repub-
lican Club, and the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks, of Beverly.

Mr. Richardson married, in 1907, Edith A. Twitchell,
daughter of Charles E. Twitchell, of this city. Mr. and
Mrs. Richardson have two sons: Kenneth W., and
Gordon T. They reside on Cabot street, and attend the
services of the Dane Street Congregational Church.



WILLIAM CHARLES GOODRICH— The field
of undertaking and funeral directing is represented in
Lynn by a large group of men whose methods and
equipment are the most modern to be found in this
business, and among these men Mr. Goodrich is a
leader.

Mr. Goodrich was bom in Alfred, York county,
Maine, and is a son of Jacob M. and Augusta A. Good-
rich, the date of his birth having been October 26, 1881.
The elder Mr. Goodrich was an undertaker in Alfred
until his death, which occurred in 1900, and after the
young man completed his education in the high school
of his native town, he became associated with his father
in business at the age of eighteen years. The death of
his father taking place about a year later, he went to
Portland with the intention of completing his prepara-
tions for following the undertaking profession, and to
that end entered the employ of Hay & Peabody, of
Portland, as an apprentice. The wages he received,
however, were insufficient to provide for his mother,
who was more or less dependent upon him, and he
sought a more remunerative opportunity in electrical
work, having had a little experience in that field, pro-
curing a position in Portland which he filled for several
years. Never despairing of returning to his chosen
profession, he later availed himself of an opportunity
which offered, and going to Boston secured a position
with the undertaking firm of W. H. Graham, Inc., prom-



inent funeral directors of that city. There, in three
years, he rose to the position of manager, and remained
with the concern for several years. Thereafter coming
to Lynn, he founded his present business, at No. 57
Monroe street, in Lynn, and has since built up one of
the leading mortuary establishments of the city.

Mr. Goodrich is well known fraternally, holding
membership in the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, the Knights of Pythias, the Improved Order of
Red Men, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He
is a member of the State of Maine Club, of Lynn, and
a member of the Lynn Young Men's Christian Associa-
tion. For relaxation he seeks the great out-of-doors,
and takes an occasional hunting and fishing trip in the
wilds. In November, 1916, Mr. Goodrich married Mar-
garet Langill, daughter of Angus and Margaret Lan-
gill, of Dorchester, Massachusetts, and they have one
son, William, born in 1918.



ARTHUR PARKER CHICKERING— Nearly a

quarter of a century has elapsed since Mr. Chickering
began his legal practice in North Andover and Boston,
those years, 1896-1921, having returned him richly the
honors of his profession.

Arthur Parker Chickering was born in North An-
dover, Massachusetts. December 2, 1872, the son of
William W. and Ruth (Brierley) Chickering. There
he attended public school, and after graduating from
high school, attended the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology for two years. About this time he became
interested in law and decided to adopt it as a profes-
sion so, with this end in view, he accordingly matricu-
lated at Boston University Law School and was grad-
uated from this institution in 1896 with the degree of
Bachelor of Laws. That same year he was admitted to
the bar and established himself in the practice of his
chosen profession, opening offices both in Boston and
North Andover, and these locations have remained his
headquarters ever since. The papers which Mr. Chick-
ering prepares are exceptionally strong, and present the
matter under consideration in a manner which admits of
little dispute. He has a broad, comprehensive grasp of
all questions that come before him and is particularly
fitted for affiairs requiring executive and administra-
tive ability. Aside from his law practice Mr. Chicker-
ing is connected with several business and manufactur-
ing corporations. He has been moderator of North
Andover for over twenty years. He is very fond of
music and also devotes a great deal of his time to
reading.



DR. WILLIAM C. TANNEBRING— Prominent

in the ranks of the dental profession in Beverly, Mas-
sachusetts, is Dr. Tannebring, who in connection with
his regular practice, is also a part time instructor at
Tufts College.

Dr. Tannebring was born in West Warren, Massachu-
setts, on June 2, 1889, and is a son of Charles F. and
Anna (Heidel) Tannebring, of West Warren. Receiv-
ing his early education in the public schools of his native
town, the young man entered the Palmer High School,
of Palmer, Massachusetts, from which he was gradu-
ated in 1908. Then, with his choice of a profession
determined, he became a student at Tufts College Dental



546



ESSEX COUNTY



School, and was graduated from that institution in the
class of 191 1. He came to Beverly before the close of
that year, and purchased the old-established dental prac-
tice of Dr. A. M. Bruce, long well known in Beverly,
and now deceased. Dr. Tannebring has been very suc-
cessful in his private practice here, and is located in
the Endicott building, the scope of his business con-
stantly broadening. Since the time of his graduation he
has been connected with Tufts College as part time
instructor.

Enlisting for service in the World War, 1917-18, Dr.
Tannebring was commissioned first lieutenant of the
Dental Reserve, but was never called for active service.
Dr. Tannebring is a member of the Metropolitan, Essex
County, and Northeastern Dental societies. Fraternally
he is a member of Liberty Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons ; and of Amity Chapter, Royal Arch Masons.
He is also a member of the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks. His college fraternity is the Psi
Omega. In political matters he supports the Repub-
lican party, but has little leisure to devote to public
activities. He attends the Congregational church.

On June 2, 1913, Dr. Tannebring married, in Law-
rence, Massachusetts, .^daline Derbyshire, daughter of
Senator James H. and Adaline (Ashton) Derbyshire.
Dr. and Mrs. Tannebring have two children : William
C, Jr., born August 9, 1918; and Barbara, born Decem-
ber 8, 1919.



JAMES PATRICK DONAHUE— Belonging to a

family of Irish origin, but for three generations resi-
dent in Amesbury, Massachusetts, James P. Donahue,
chief of police, of Merrimac, Massachusetts, is dis-
tinctly American, even though he still lias some of the
happy characteristics of his Celtic forebears.

James Patrick Donahue was born in Amesbury, Mas-
sachusetts, on March 16, 1894, son of Patrick J. and
Nora (Mulryan) Donahue, and grandson of Bartholeme
and Nora (Donahue) Donahue. His grandfather was
born on the Island of Arran, on the west coast of
Scotland. He became a stationary engineer after emi-
grating to this country with his wife, who was a native
of Ireland. She lived to a great age, being ninety years
old when death came to her in 1920. The family set-
tled in Amesbury, Massachusetts, and there their son,
Patrick J., father of James P. Donahue, was born. He
is still alive, and latterly has been in the automobile
business. He married Nora Mulryan, who was born in
County Galway, Ireland, and died in 1920, in Ames-
bury. Massachusetts.

James P. Donahue was educated in the public schools
of Merrimac, Massachusetts. .\fter his schooldays
were ended, he entered the employ of the Jonah &
George Company, of Merrimac, but about a year later,
went to Haverhill, and there for the next five years
worked for the Macree Brothers Company of that place,
for three years as an apprentice and for two years as
a journeyman metal worker, leaving at the end of that
time to become chief of police of Merrimac, which
appointment he was offered and accepted in March,

1916. He is still chief of police, but when the United
States entered into a state of war with Germany in

1917, Chief of Police Donahue gave up his civic
appointment and enlisted as a seaman in the United



States navy. He was assigned to duty at the subma-
rine base at New London, Connecticut, and was later
transferred to the U. S. S. "Savannah," remaining in
Federal service until .August, 1919, and in the latter
part of his service had a rating of first class ship-
fitter. He was not forgotten by the people of Merrimac,
and his civil post was only temporarily filled during his
war service. He returned to Merrimac after being dis-
charged from the navy, and was immediately asked to
resume his former position of chief of police. Since
that time he has been chief, and is widely known and
popular.

Mr. Donahue is a member of the Church of the
Nativity (Roman Catholic), of Merrimac, and belongs
to the Knights of Columbus and the Ancient Order of
Hibernians. He also is a member of the .American
Legion and the Patrons of Husbandry. Politically he
is a Republican. He is unmarried.

John J. Donahue, brother of Chief of Police Dona-
hue, was born in Merrimac, Massachusetts, on July 19,
1898, and was educated in the public schools of the
town. He is now an active young business man of
Merrimac, following his father's line — the automobile
business.



ALEXANDER ROBERTS, JR.— The name Alex-
ander Roberts has been well known to business people
of Haverhill for several decades in connection with
paper-stock dealings, Alexander Robert, Sr. having
established such a business in the city more than forty
years ago, in 1880. He is now deceased, but some of
his sons are still in the city, conducting a trading house
which in reality is a continuation of that founded by
the father in 1.880.

Alexander Roberts, Jr., head of the Alexander Rob-
erts Company of Haverhill, was born in Yorkshire,
England, February 26, 1868, son of .Alexander and Jane
(Booth) Roberts, both of Yorkshire, England. The
father died March 3, 1915. He was born in 1835. He
was a mill spinner, which he followed for the greater
part of his life, and latterly was a merchant. The
mother died in 1916, in Haverhill, Massachusetts, where
she had lived for so many years and was much respected.
They were Protestants in religious belief, and both of
estimable life, and were blessed with thirteen children,
ten of whom were sons, among them Alexander, Jr.
Most of the children were reared in Haverhill, and
attended the local public schools.

After Alexander Roberts, Jr. left school, he joined
his father in business in Haverhill, and for twenty-
five years thereafter they were associates in business,
the son latterly being manager of the firm. In 1910,
he decided to branch out for himself, and then formed
the firm of Alexander Roberts, Jr. He has maintained
the business in operation on Hale street, Haverhill, ever
since. While working for his father, he built the build-
ing still occupied by the firm, and soon after the death
of his father he and his brother, George, organized the
Alexander Roberts Company, which to-day is stated to
Ije the largest in its line in the district. In their build-
ing they have 20,000 square feet of floor space, and the
volume of trading has been considerably increased dur-
ing the last decade. Mr. Roberts does not enter much
into public afifairs, but he is a member and regular




^/T^p^ ^^ <^^r^



BIOGRAPHICAL



347



attendant at the Riverside Congregational Church,
Haverhill, and belongs to the local body of the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows. Also he is a member of
the Pcntucket Club.

Mr. Roberts married, September 29, ig02, at Haver-
hill, Mary Brainard, who was born in Bridgewater,
Massachusetts, in 1872, daughter of William and Aro-
linc Augusta (Thayer) Brainard, the former named a
machinist and inventor. They have no children.



JOHN D. NEWALL — The marble and granite in-
dustry has contributed largely to the industrial pros-
perity of several of the Xew England states. Very
often several generations of a family engage in this
work and become widely known as skilled artisans.
The Newall family, of whom John D. Newall, of Law-
rence, Massachusetts, is a worthy scion, has been in the
stone business for over a hundred years. The founder
of the business, Andrew Newall, lived in Dalbeattie,
Scotland, and his son, Andrew Newall, Jr., followed
the same occupation there and in Liverpool, England.
He married Ann Booth, of New Abbey, Scotland, and
some years later came to America. Naturally, Mr.
Newall located in a town where the stone industry was
an important one, and for many years he lived at
Westerly, Rhode Island.

John D. Newall, their son. was born in Liverpool,
England, December 24, 1858. While he was yet an
infant, his parents returned to Scotland, locating again
at Dalbeattie. There John D. attended the Scottish
public schools. In 1873 he came to Westerly, Rhode
Island, where he attended school for a time. There he
learned the art of stone cutting, starting in 1880, later
removing to Gloucester, Massachusetts, where he was
in charge of stone work. In ig02 Mr. Newall settled
in Lawrence, Massachusetts, where he established him-
self in monumental and building work in marble and
granite. For about half a century Mr. Newall has fol-
lowed this industry and is among the oldest stonecutters
in New England ; his present place of business is at
No. 51 Blanchard street, Lawrence. He has the repu-
tation of being one of the most skilled monument men
in New England. Mr. Newall is a member of the Cal-
edonian Lodge of Lawrence.

Mr. Newall married, in Westerly, Rhode Island, in
1885, Elizabeth Gilchrist, of that place, and they are the
parents of two sons : James G., associated with his
father in business ; and John Douglas, Jr., a chemist
and dyer in the textile mills. Mr. Newall and his fam-
ily attend the Parker Street Methodist Church.



GORDON M. COOK— Active in his early life in
different branches of endeavor, Gordon M. Cook, of
Lynn, has spent the past twenty-five years in the truck-
ing business. Mr. Cook is a son of Manasseh Cook,
of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. He followed the sea
throughout his lifetime, and was captain of the good
ship, "M. E. Cann." He died in 1918, at the age of
eighty years. He married Henrietta Perry, of Yar-
mouth, who died in 191 1.

Gordon M. Cook was born in Yarmouth, October 25,
1868, and was educated in the public schools of that
city. After completing his studies he went to work
as a landscape gardener, continuing for about two years.



Later, coming to Chelsea, Massachusetts, he started to
learn the plumber's trade. After working thus for two
years, he was associated with .Albert Burnham for two
years, in connection with the construction of the Revere
Water Works. Coming to Lynn in 1889, he was
employed by the H. A. Pervear Company, then later
handled a retail milk route for about two years, then
working as conductor on the old Lynn & Boston horse
car line for about a year and a half. Still later he was
for three years on the Belt line, as conductor. Then
about 1896, he established the trucking business which
is now a leader in this line of endeavor in Lynn. He is
doing an extensive business under the name of the
Gordon M. Cook Trucking Company.

Mr. Cook is a member of the Lynn Chamber of Com-
merce. Fraternally he is prominent, being a member
of Lynn Encampment, Loyal Order of Moose, of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Paul Revere
Lodge, Knights of Pythias, of the Oriental Order of
Humanity, and of the Lodge of Perfection, of which he
is Vice-Grand High Secretary. He is a member of the
Young Men's Christian Association, of Lynn, and of
the First Methodist Episcopal Church, and is inter-
ested in all progress. In 1893 Mr. Cook married
Rebecca M. Watts, of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, and
they have one son, Raymond M., who is a member of
the Boy Scouts of America. Mrs. Cook is a daughter
of William and Margaret Matilda (Hart) Watts, of
Cape Breton. Her father, who was a farmer, died in
1879, and her mother died in 1887.



WILLIAM ILSLEY— When a young man of eight-
een, William Ilsley entered the service of the Mer-
chants' National Bank of Newburyport, and the asso-
ciation then formed has continued without interruption
during the more than three decades which have since
intervened. He rose rapidly in rank and has long been
cashier and a director of the institution which he entered
as messenger. He is a son of Nathan and Elizabeth
(Short) Ilsley and of the eighth generation of the fam-
ily founded in New England by William Ilsley, who
came in the ship "Confidence," in 1638, settling in
Newbury.

William Ilsley was born at Newbury, Massachusetts,
March 2, 1873, and there was educated in the public
schools, finishing by graduation from Putnam Free
School, class of 1891. His first position was with the
Merchant's National Bank as messenger, his term
beginning in 1891. He passed from messenger to junior
clerk, to bookkeeper, to teller, to assistant cashier and,
in 1898, at the age of twenty-five, he was appointed
cashier, a position he has now held for nearly a quarter
of a century. Two j-ears after being made cashier he
was elected a director of the bank and still holds that
place in the bank's management. He has given the
best of his life to the Merchants' National and in that
institution, where he is best known, his strong quali-
ties as a financier are thoroughly recognized and appre-
ciated.

Other corporations in which he is officially interested
are : The Newburyport Building Association, which he
serves as treasurer ; The Newburyport Five Cents Sav-
ings Bank, of which he is trustee and a member of
the board of investment ; and the Institution for Sav-



348



ESSEX COUNTY



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 15 of 56)