Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 17 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 17 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


business partner.ship with his father, they then constitut-
ing the Jenne Motor Sales Company. Their place of
business is at No. 455 River street, Haverhill, and they
are entering into most of the sales and service branches
of the automobile business. They have the agency in
the district for the Westcott car, have one of the largest
repair and service stations in Haverhill, and enter exten-
sively into the sale of tires, accessories, supplies, gas and
oil. Both are active in the business, which ought to
continue to expand.

Aldred A. Jenne was too young to enter the Regular
army during the World War in 1917-18, and at that
time was at the New Hampshire State College, but he
enlisted in the Students' Army Training Corps at that
place and was in training for four months. His frater-
nity is the Sigma Alpha Epsilon, of New Hampshire
State College. He is a member of the North Congrega-
tional Church of Haverhill.

Mr. Jenne was married, in Haverhill, on August 20,
1920, to Eleanor Clarke Quinney, daughter of Mrs. Ada
S. Quinney, of Winter street, Haverhill.



GEORGE A. HUNTING— As treasurer of the

Lawrence Knitting Company of Methuen, Massachusetts,
George A. Hunting ranks among the leading business
men of his community. This progressive manufacturing
plant has made rapid progress in the past years and the
output of its factory finds a ready market throughout
the country owing to the excellence of the product and



352



ESSEX COUNTY



the high standard of the business ethics of those in
charge.

Mr. Hunting was born at New London, New Hamp-
shire, August 23, 1859, and was educated in the public
schools and at the Colby Academy. His father, A. R.
Hunting, was a farmer, a native of New Hampshire,
and he died in 1902, being survived by his wife, Clara E.
Burt, a native of Vermont, for five years.

After leaving school Mr. Hunting was employed in
Tilton, and was located at Laconia, for three years, where
he worked in a hosiery manufacturing plant, gaining
experience that would in later years be of great value
to him. In 1885 he came to Methuen and for a time
was employed there by the Knitted Fabric Company ; in
1898 he was one of the corporators of the Lawrence
Knitting Company and was appointed treasurer of this
company, which office he has since held. There are now
about fifty operatives employed by the company, and
several well knowni makes of hosiery are manufactured
there.

Mr. Hunting is a man of efficiency and progressive
ideas and much credit is due to him for the success of
the company of which he is an executive part. He is
a member of the Knights of Pythias, and attends the
Methodist church.

Mr. Hunting married (first), in 1885, Nellie V. Colby,
of Vermont, and she died in 1897; in 1901 he married
(second) Myra E. Deane, who was born in Maine, and
they make their home in Methuen.



WILLIAM F. LUNT, of Newburyport, Massachu-
setts, has won his way to a position of prominence in
the community through constructive activities in the real
estate and insurance business.

Mr. Lunt was born in Newburyport, July 8, 1870, and
is a son of William P. and Elizabeth B. (Questrom)
Lunt. In the public schools of his native city he
acquired a practical education, then, at the age of six-
teen years, started out in the real estate and insurance
business, which he has followed continuously since, and
in which he has become a leader. In 1886 he became
associated with Mr. Chase, and in 1893 the firm of Chase
& Lunt, a partnership, was organized. The partners
still operate together in both real estate and insurance.

In fraternal and club circles Mr. Lunt is well known.
He is a member of St. Mark's Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons ; of Newburyport Commandery, Knights Tem-
plar; is a member of the Delta Club, the Dalton Qub,
and of the Old Newburyport Golf and the American
Yacht clubs. He is a member of the Business Men's
Association, and is a trustee of the Newburyport Build-
ing Association. He attends the Unitarian church, and is
actively interested in the work of the Young Men's
Christian Association, of which he is a iriember.

On October g, 1895, Mr. Lunt married Emma L.
Quinlan, and they have one son, William Malcolm, who
was born July 14, 1909.



1887. son of Louis Frank and Augusta (Arlitt) Eidam,
who were both of German birth, but many years resident
in the United States. Louis Frank Eidam was a physician
in Lawrence ; he died in 1899, eight years after the
demise of his wife. They had four children, and of
their three sons Louis M. was the youngest. He
received his education mainly in the schools of Law-
rence, graduating ultimately from the high school, class
of 1905; he then entered Lowell Textile College. Enter-
ing business life eventually, he found work with the
Woolworth Company, remaining with them for two years.
For some time after that he was in the employ of C. J.
Alexander, and later was connected with the Lawrence
Electric Supply Company. In 1914 he established his
present business, at the outset only occupying window
space at a store on Essex street, but his business grew
rapidly, and he soon erected a building of his own on
Lawrence street, Lawrence. Finally he removed to his
present address, No. 2 Lawrence street, where he has
good facilities for the handling of his large business.
He carries a most comprehensive line, and his stock is
rapidly turned over.

Fraternally, Mr. Eidam belongs to the Knights of
Pythias, and Phoenician Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons. His church is the Riverside Congregational.

Mr. Eidam married, in 191 1, Isabelle P. Hinchcliffe,
daughter of Charles Hinchcliffe, of Lawrence, a wool
sorter. Mr. and Mrs. Eidam have two children : Isabelle
A., born in 1913; and Louis (Tharles, born in 1917.



LOUIS M. EIDAM — Among the enterprising busi-
ness men of Lawrence. Massachusetts, must be included
Louis M. Eidam, who has probably the largest business
in tires, auto accessories, gas and oil in Lawrence.

Mr, Eidam is a native of Lawrence, born here June 18.



JOSEPH A. GARRY— Sometimes a man's success
in life is not achieved in the profession originally under-
taken, as in the case of Joseph A. Garry, of Methuen,
Massachusetts, who learned the trade of pharmacist, but
who, after several years in this business disposed of his
interests and now is the owner of the leading garage
and auto accessory store in Methuen.

Mr. Garry was born July 3, 1891. in Lawrence, Massa-
chusetts, son of Murt Garry, of County Mayo, Ireland,
who was engaged in mill work and as a merchant for
many years until his death in 1909. His mother, .A.nne
Fox, was of Quebec, Canada, and she died in 1906.

Joseph A. Garry obtained his education in the schools
of Methuen ; he was a member of the high school class
of 1910. Following this he attended the Massachusetts
College of Pharmacy at Boston, and subsequently was
employed by George B. Holden, of Haverhill, and later
was with the Hall & Lyon Company, of the same city.

In 1916 Mr. Garry bought a pharmacy in Lawrence and
continued successfully until 1919, when he disposed of his
business and established a garage on Broadway, in
Methuen, under the name of Garry's Garage, one of the
most modern and up-to-date garages in Methuen. In
addition to the repair work a full line of accessories is
carried and the volume of business is very satisfactory.

Mr. Garry is a member of Lawrence Lodge, No. 65,
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks ; the Methuen
Club; Phi Chi fraternity (Massachusetts College of
Pharmacy) ; and the Merrimack Valley Country Club.

Mr. Garry married, in 1915, Ruth B. Palmer, daugh-
ter of William Palmer, of Providence. Mr. and Mrs.
Garry are members of St. Monica's Roman Catholic
Church of Methuen.




Q



Q

CO

5
><

w

a
2;



BIOGRAPHICAL



353



N. ALLEN LINDSEY— In the death of every man
who has borne an active and constructive part in the
progress of society, the community sustains a loss much
to be regretted. Too few men, in this day, expend their
energies in any effort but that which shall be definitely
profitable to themselves. N. Allen Lindsey, of Marble-
head, Massachusetts, was a man who gave of himself —
of his time and energies and abilities, for the good of
those about him. Successful in his business activities,
he was always ready to lend his support to a worthy
cause.

Mr. Lindsey was a son of Nathaniel and Sally Quill
(Allen) Lindsey. Nathaniel Lindsey was born in Mar-
blehead, and was a lifelong resident of that town. He
was for many years engaged in the bakery business.

N, Allen Lindsey was born in Marblehead, on May 22,
1853. He was educated in the public schools of that
day, receiving a simple, but practical preparation for the
responsibilities of life. On completing his studies he
entered the printing industry in a small way. The
young man liked the work, and found himself well
adapted to it, finally determining to make it his life
work. He accordingly bought out the firm of Rhodes &
Leak, and continued the business on his own account.
Under the name of the N. A. Lindsey Ojmpany, he con-
ducted this business with constantly increasing success,
until the time of his death, in July. 1916.

In all his relations with the public Mr. Lindsey was
a man of the highest honor, and was broadly interested
in the public welfare. He was a Trustee of the Abbott
Library, and was Tree Warden of Marblehead for a
period of two years, accepting no remuneration whatever
for his labors in this connection. He attended the Con-
gregational Qiurch, and did much to promote the tem-
perance movement in Marblehead.

Mr. Lindsey was a member of the Rechabite Society,
of Marblehead, and was a member of the Appalachian
Mountain Club, of Boston. In December, 1889, Mr.
Lindsey married Georgiana, daughter of George H. and
Hannah R. (Felton) Martin. Mr. Martin was in the
grocery business in Marblehead for many years.



He was married, in 1914, to Ruth A. Daniels, daughter
of George H. and Adalaide Daniels, of Haverhill. They
have one child, Janice Arleen.



NORMAN KEIGHLEY, jeweler, of Haverhill, was

born in Rawdon, England, February 7, 1884, son of
Walter and Ellen (Shires) Keighley, both of British
birth. His father, who died in 1906, was a cloth
designer.

Norman Keighley came to this country about Novem-
ber, 1907, at the age of twenty-three years. He received
the greater part of his education in the public schools of
England, and after leaving school was apprenticed to
J. Hemsworth, watchmaker, with whom he remained for
nine years. For a further three years, he worked for
F. Snyder, of Lawrence, Massachusetts. Coming to
Haverhill in 1910, he opened up a store under his own
name on Railroad square, and there, until November, 1920,
he remained in business. His present jewelry shop, or
store, is at No. 6 Washington street.

Mr. Keighley is succeeding well in his line. He is
a popular Mason, belongs to the Sons of St. George and
the Knights of Malta, and, socially, to the Pentucket
and Agawam clubs. He is a member of the North
Church.

Essex — 2 — 23



GEORGE A. MacKENZIE, electrical contractor of
Newburyport, Massachusetts, is a native of Pictou, Nova
Scotia, where he was born, February 18, 1875, son of
Ale.>:ander and Mary (Love) MacKenzie. His father
was a native of Westville, Nova Scotia, and was employed
as underground manager for the Inter-Colonial Coal
Company until his death in 1896, which was occasioned
by an accident while at work. Mrs. MacKenzie died in
1875.

George A. MacKenzie attended the schools of his
native city and then entered the employ of the .American
Bell Telephone Company, being transferred to their
Providence, Rhode Island, department, and there he
learned the trade of electrician, following this occupation
for five years. From Providence he went to Boston,
Massachusetts, and there entered the employ of the New
England Telephone Company, remaining for three years,
thence removing to Newburyport, to enter the employ of
the E. P. Shaw Company. After three years in the
employ of that firm, Mr. MacKenzie became chief elec-
trician for the Bay State Cotton Corporation, and after
eight years there, engaged in business for himself as an
electrical contractor, under the firm name of George A.
MacKenzie & Company. With his many years of experi-
ence behind him, and with a thorough knowledge of his
business, Mr. MacKenzie's present success was assured.

Mr. MacKenzie is active in the civic and fraternal life
of Newburyport, and although non-partisan in politics,
is, nevertheless, anxious to do his share as a citizen. He
is a member of the Eagles ; the Loyal Order of Moose ;
and at one time was captain of the fire department there,
now being a member of the Massachusetts State Fire-
men's Association and of the Veteran Association of
Firemen in Newburyport.

Mr. MacKenzie married, September 19, 1901, Kate E.
Kelleher, of Newburyport.



ALFRED H. DURKEE— To actually have sailed
the seven seas, to have visited every port on the globe, to
have commanded sailing vessels and steamships, and then
later to have become a prosperous manufacturer ashore,
surely this is life indeed and one that comes to few.
And few there be that have the genius and parts to
grasp such varied opportunities when they present
themselves. Alfred H. Durkee, born in Nova Scotia,
December 9, i860, was one of these few. His father,
James Durkee, and mother, Elizabeth (Dennis) Durkee,
were native born Nova Scotians. The father, who died
in 1914, w^as for the greater part of his later life a suc-
cessful manufacturer of boxes and furniture.

Alfred H. Durkee was educated in the public schools
of Nova Scotia, and later studied in and graduated from
schools of navigation, without which preparation he could
not have risen so quickly to eminence upon the sea. For
more than thirty years he was a follower of the sea,
rising quickly to the position of mate and then of cap-
tain. As captain of sailing craft, he made many long
voyages around the world, then, as the steamship gradu-



354



ESSEX COUNTY



ally replaced the sailing vessel, he began to take com-
mand of steamships in the merchant marine. In 1908
Captain Durkee determined to leave the sea and gain
a livelihood ashore. It was at this time that he moved
to Haverhill. His first enterprise, that of manufacturing
shoe counters, was a rather small one, which he con-
ducted in partnership with his brother, Evlann, their place
of business being at No. 118 Phoenix Row, Haverhill,
Massachusetts. Later, finding that "he travels fastest
who travels alone," he established himself under the
business title of the "Durkee Counter Company," as a
manufacturer at No. 20 Phoeni.x Row, in Haverhill.
Besides counters he fabricates soles and taps for men's
and women's shoes, which he sells directly from the
factory. His individuality and his original methods
have enabled him to build up a solid business.

Fraternally, Mr. Durkee has the rather rare distinc-
tion of having been initiated into the Masonic order in
Calcutta, during a residence there. He now is a Knight
Templar, also belongs to the Shrine, and is a member of
Aleppo Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine, of Boston. He holds membership in the
Pentucket Club, belongs to the Haverhill Chamber of
Commerce, and is a member of the Ancient and Honor-
able Artillery Company, of Boston, Massachusetts. He
is also a director of the Pentucket Savings Bank. He
and his family are members of the First Baptist Church,
ef Haverhill,

Mr. Durkee married, in Nova Scotia, Alice M. Mc-
Cormick, and their one daughter, Inda Frances, has
had the unique distinction of being born on the far-off
Indian ocean, March 14, 1900. Miss Durkee is an artist,
and in 1921 was a student at the School of Arts, Saratoga
Springs, New York.

Few men have traveled so widely or seen the world so
well as Mr. Durkee. In trade, his individuality and
original methods have built for him a business on solid
lines, and his varied life and experience have made him
a personality one delights to meet.



ANDREW M. GRAHAM, a merchant of Newbury-
port, Massachusetts, was born there September 29, 1857,
and is now one of the oldest business men of that city.
He is a son of John and Ellen E. (Whalen) Graham,
and was educated in the public schools, starting to work
at an early age in a grocery store. He continued work-
ing as a clerk until 1884 and in this year became associ-
ated with his father in the meat and provision business,
which he has since successfully carried on. The part-
nership was unbroken until 1901, when the elder Mr.
Graham died, and then the son assumed the full respon-
sibility, which his years of experience enabled him to do.

Mr. Graham married, September 29, 1891, Mary
Hetherman, and they are the parents of a daughter,
Mary, and of a son, John Graham, a veteran of the
World War.



ELMER HARLAND TAYLOR is one of the enter-
prising business men of Newburyport. He acquired, and
has since operated, the Davis Machine Company in 1920,
and the next year opened a garage in the rear of his
machine shop. There is every indication that Mr. Taylor
will succeed in both enterprises, because he is a man of
much practical experience and pronounced energy.



Mr. Taylor was born in Amesbury, Massachusetts, on
February 25, 1886, son of Worthington and Ida (Walker)
Taylor. His parents were both of Amesbury, and they
had three children, Elmer H. being the only son. His
mother died in 1894, but his father, who is a carriage
worker and trimmer, is still living.

As a boy Elmer Harland Taylor attended the public
schools of Amesbury, passing through the high school,
from which he was graduated in the class of 1904. For
three years, thereafter, he was in the employ of S. R.
Bailey & Company, of Amesbury. That was followed
by three years at the Powow Foundry, after which he
went to Laconia to work, where he remained for about
a year, going back to Manchester, New Hampshire for
a short while. He afterwards came to Newburyport
and entered the employ of the G. W. Richardson Com-
pany, with which company he was connected for twelve
years, for the greater part of the time being the fore-
man of the plant. In 1920, as before mentioned, he
acquired the business and plant of the Davis Machine
Company, of Newburyport, the change of ownership
bringing a change of trading name. Mr. Taylor now
trades in that connection as E. H. Taylor, and has
sought to bring all kinds of machine work and repairing
into the scope of his business. In addition he has built
in the rear of his plant an up-to-date garage, that busi-
ness being entirely distinct from the machine work enter-
prise, and is now known as. the Hudson & Taylor Garage.

Mr. Taylor is a member of the Masonic order, and the
Loyal Order of Moose. He attends closely to his busi-
ness, and in both enterprises is trying by good service
to bring increasing trade.

Mr. Taylor married, in 1907, Helen Hudson, of New-
buryport, daughter of Joseph Hudson, who was of
English birth, but now lives in Newburyport, Massachu-
setts, a retired business man of that place. They have one
child, Worthington Hudson Taylor, who was born in
1909.



WARREN F. ABRAMS— After almost four decades
of residence and active participation in business in
Haverhill, Warren Franklin Abrams, now one of the
largest florists in Haverhill and vicinity, may be con-
sidered to be widely known in Haverhill and Essex
county. Undoubtedly he is, for he has been the head of
a substantial florist business in Haverhill for more than
twenty years, that business bringing him into contact with
all classes of Haverhill residents.

Mr. Abrams was born in Kingston, New Hampshire,
on November 13, 1864, the son of Lyman H. and Mary
E. (Young) Abrams of that place. His father, who
died in 1915, was a minister, well known and respected
in many parts of New England during his years of
activity in the church ministry. For very many years
the family lived in Kingston, and there Warren F.
received his education, attending the public schools of the
place. For five years after leaving school, he found
employment in his native place, working in the shoe
shop of Qaron Tuck, of that place. In 1882 he came
to Haverhill, Massachusetts, which has been his place
of abode and business ever since. Soon after coming to
Haverhill he worked for George H. Nichols, of that
city, and during the next eighteen years was in the
employ of various local shoe companies. In 1899 he





^tpt^MJ



T/Mi^U^^



Jk^







,^-.



i* L-f^-£A^i



.<? /I.



^C^ iJ-t~^^^'''-^l^



BIOGRAPHICAL



355



decided to venture into business for himself as a florist,
and did so in that year, trading under his own name, at
No. 19 Proctor street, where the space at his disposal
was only 16 feet by 8 feet. From there he removed to
a lot on Observatory avenue, where he remained for
more than fourteen years, moving in 1914 to another lot
at No. 38 Observatory avenue, where he built his present
greenhouse, and where he has had opportunity to expand
in many branches of floriculture. During his long period
of business in Haverhill he has developed with the
assistance of his son, a worth-while business, which is
one of the largest and best known in that line in Essex
county, Massachusetts.

Mr. .Abrams belongs to local bodies of several fraternal
orders, being identified with the Knights of Malta, Odd
Fellows, Knights of Pythias, and Red Men organiza-
tions. He is a Methodist, member of Grace Methodist
Oiurch of Haverhill.

Mr. .A.brams married, in 1888, Ella F. Marshall, of
Haverhill, Massachusetts, daughter of Joseph A. and
Mary A. (Manser) Marshall, both of Nova Scotia, and
both deceased, the former passing away in 1917 and the
latter in 191 !. Joseph A. Marshall was a contractor and
mason in Nova Scotia. Mr. and Mrs. Abrams have two
children : Charles W., and Arthur P. Both sons are
veterans of the World War. The military service of
Arthur P. Abrams began when he enlisted on October
S, 1917. and was sent to Camp Devens. Massachusetts.
He was soon transferred to Camp Gordon, Georgia, and
from there went overseas, with the 307th Sanitary Com-
pany, Field Hospital, Eighty-second Division. He was
in active service in France for about a year, and was
present in several of the major battles — St. Mihiel, Toul,
and Argonne fronts. He finally returned to this country,
and was honorably discharged at Camp Dix, New Jersey,
on May 10, 1919. He at once became associated with his
father in business, and is one of Haverhill's most popular
business men. The military record of Charles W.
Abrams began at Camp Sherman. Chillicothe, Ohio ; he
went overseas and served in Italy, returning to the
United States in May, 1919. He is now located in
Cleveland, Ohio, where he is manager of the College
Conservatories.



NORWELL ATHERTON PHILLIPS— Although

his professional career has not yet embraced many
years, Norwell Atherton Phillips, who now lives in
Amesbury, Massachusetts, and is manager of the Merri-
mac A'alley Power and Building Company, has held some
responsible positions, and gives promise of advancing
well as an engineer.

Mr. Phillips was born in Chatham, Massachusetts, the
son of Jacob F. and Inez H. (Ellis) Phillips. His father
was a native of Harwich, Massachusetts, born there,
July 31. 1867, and there he has lived for the greater part
of his life, being the owner of a good farming estate.
The mother of Norwell A. Phillips was also of Harwich,
although it was not her birthplace. She was born on
October 14, 1877, and died at Harwich, in 191 1.

Norwell A. Phillips was reared to manhood in his
native place. He attended the Harwich public schools,
including the high, and afterwards became a student at
the Carnegie Institute of Technology at Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, graduating from that well known technical



college in the class of 1917. Soon, thereafter, he secured
employment with the Rondolph & Holbrook Power and
Electric Company, serving them for a year in the capacity
of business manager. He next secured appointment as
power engineer for the Union Light and Power Com-
pany, and was stationed at that company's plant at
Franklin, Massachusetts, for a year. He left that com-
pany to take his present office, that of manager for the
Merrimac Valley Power and Building Company, so it
would seem that he is advancing in his profession very
satisfactorily.

Mr. Phillips is a Republican in political allegiance; he
is a member of the Amesbury Chamber of Commerce



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 17 of 56)