Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 18 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 18 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and fraternally is a Mason, being a member of Pilgrim
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons of Harwich, Massa-
chusetts, and of the Lodge of Perfection (Scottish Rite).
In his religious preference he is a Congregationalist.

Mr. Phillips married, in 1920, Grace Giles, of Haver-
hill, Massachusetts, who was born on September 21,
1896, daughter of Edward C. and Cora M. (Lewis)
Giles. The Giles family is of Haverhill, where Mr.
Giles is well known, especially in shoe inanufacturing
circles; Cora M. (Lewis) Giles, however, was born in
Boothbay, Maine.

Like most other young and able-bodied men of .Amer-
ica, Mr. Phillips cast aside his own personal affairs
during the World War. He voluntarily enlisted not man>
months after war was declared, joining the Signal Corps
of the United States army on August 10, 1917. He was
in military service until February 15, 1919, being then
honorably discharged in the grade of sergeant.



EDWARD A. LOOMIS, a member of the under-
taking firm of the Kimball, Hall & Loomis Company, of
the Bradford district of Haverhill, Massachusetts, was
born August 12, 1867, in Boston, son of Charles E.
Loomis, of that city. The latter was engaged in the
shoe industry until his death. He married Katherine
King, of Alexandria, Virginia.

The public schools of Haverhill afforded Mr. Loomis
his education, and soon after leaving school he went to
work for Joseph Cummings, a prominent undertaker of
Haverhill. He remained there for two years and was
then employed by the N. F. Centre Company, leaving
there a year later to enter the shoe business, remaining
in that for four years and then entering the employ of
Richards & Dole, undertakers. Three years later they
dissolved partnership, and George A. Childs then became
a partner of Mr. Dole's, Mr. Loomis remaining with
them for seven years. He then accepted a position with
Charles A. Twombly, with whom he remained a year. At
the end of this time he became one of the corporators
of the Kimball, Hall & Loomis Company, an undertaking
firm originally founded in 1912 by .Allison A. Kimball,
William A. Hall and Mr. Loomis. This firm bought the
interest of Frank H. Ballard. Mr. Ballard's place of
business was at No. 29 Fifth avenue, Haverhill, and a
year after the new firm started they reinoved it to No.
69 Main street, Bradford, where they have since remained,
the leading members of their profession in that district.

Fraternally, Mr. Loomis is a member of the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows; the Knights of Pythias,
and the Masonic order, affiliating with Pentucket Chapter,



356



ESSEX COUNTY



Royal Arch Masons. He is also a member of the
Chamber of Commerce.

Mr. Loomis married (first), in 1890, Minnie Brown,
of Chicago, Illinois, and she died in 1897 ; he married
(second), in iQOi, Emily Schlenker, of Haverhill, Mas-
sachusetts, and they attend and aid in the support of the
Baptist church of that city.



WILLIAM E. HOW, a business man of Haverhill,
Massachusetts, was born January 10, 1858, the son of
Dr. James C. and Helen L. (Whitney) How, the former
a practicing physician in Haverhill; he died in 1888. His
wife was a native of Oneida Castle, New York, and she
died in 1913.

The early education of William E. How was obtained
in the public schools of Haverhill, and at Amherst
College, class of 1881. Subsequent to leaving college,
Mr. How worked as a reporter and later was editor
of the Haverhill "Daily Bulletin," and of the Man-
chester "Mirror." He was the writer of editorials on
the Lowell "Times" and held a similar position on the
Syracuse "Herald," continuing in this line of work for
about fourteen years. He resigned from newspaper
work to enter business on his own account as a sta-
tioner, locating at No. 27 Washington Square ; this busi-
ness has been located there for a half century and is the
oldest store of its kind in Haverhill.

Fraternally, Mr. How is a Mason ; he is also a member
of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks ; the
Rotary Club and the U. O. G. C. He is active in a pub-
lic way, having been president of the Haverhill Adver-
tising Club, and a director of the Chamber of Commerce,
and was one of the most active citizens in having white
lights installed in that city. He was the first secretary
of the first Board of Trade.



FREDERICK L. CLARK, active head of the F. L.
Clark Last Remodeling Company, was born December
26, 1892, at Bradford, Massachusetts, son of J. Lewis and
Susan (McCabe) Clark. The mother was a native of
West Newton. Prince Edward Island, and the father a
native of Vermont. Mr. Clark's grandfather, James H.
Clark, was a veteran of the Civil War, serving with the
Vermont Heavy Artillery.

Mr. Clark attended school in Bradford and Haverhill
and also attended the Haverhill Business College. For
the five years following the completion of his schooling,
he was at Bangor, Maine, employed by the Great North-
ern Paper Company. On his return to Haverhill in 1919
he succeeded his "father in the management of the last
manufacturing business, continuing to the present time.

During the World War Mr. Qark served overseas
for fourteen months. He was a member of the Medical
Department of the Second Cavalry until the forming of
Base Hospital No. 66, in November, 1917, and was with
same until its disbanding, February 27, 1919. He is
actively interested in all public affairs of Haverhill and
holds a prominent position among the younger business
men of that city.



Whitney was engaged in the bakery business for many
years, and with his wife attended the Baptist church.
They spent their last days in Lynn.

William R. Whitney's early education was received in
the grammar and high schools of Lynn, and soon after
completing the courses in the latter institution, he entered
the business world at the age of si.xteen years in the
employ of Samuel J. Hollis, a pioneer shoe manufac-
turer of Lynn. For thirteen years Mr. Whitney worked
as a salesman for Mr. Hollis and during this time was
learning each detail of the shoe manufacturing business,
which had become the leading industry of that section of
the State. He went to Kennebunk. Maine, to assume
the management of the Mason & Cobb Company of that
place, thence to Manchester, New Hampshire, where for
two years he was superintendent of the Crafts & Greene
Company. The following eleven years were spent in
Richmond, Virginia, as superintendent of the Davis Shoe
Company, and returning North again, Mr. Whitney
located in Raymond, New Hampshire, in a similar posi-
tion with the Chase, Qiamberlain Company there. His
experience, gained in the most practical way, was of
untold value to him, and for many years Mr. Whitney
had cherished the hope of all ambitious men to enter
business on his own account, which he did in May,
1920, at which time he bought the Sheridan Brothers'
business in Haverhill, manufacturers of ladies' footwear,
and which the following month was incorporated, with
Mr. Whitney as president, and Thurman Leslie, for-
merly with Clapp & Tapley, of Danvers, as treasurer.
Fraternally he is a Mason, and also a member of the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows ; he attends the First
Baptist Church.

Mr. Whitney married, June 2, 1886, Susan L. Emer-
ton, daughter of Ezra M. Emerton, born in 1862.



WILLIAM R. WHITNEY, manufacturer of Lynn,
Massachusetts, was born July 31, i8'3, in Lynn, the son
of James and Lucy Ann (Sturgis) Whitney, the former
a native of Boston, the latter of Barnstable. James



LOUIS P. BERWICK — An enterprising young busi-
ness man of Lawrence, Massachusetts, and one who
knows his business, is Louis P. Berwick, who is an
expert electrician, specializing in electrical repairs of
automobiles.

Mr. Berwick is a native of Lawrence, born in the city
on November 6, 1890, son of Frank G. and Elizabeth
Isabelle (Brozzs) Berwick, his father being of English
birth. His mother was of Methuen, Massachusetts, and
died in 1910, his father is now in South Barre, Massa-
chusetts, a mill superintendent for the Willis Company.

Louis P. Berwick is the eldest of four children, three
of whom were sons. His education was obtained mainly
in the public schools of Lawrence, Massachusetts, and he
later took a business course at a business college in
Scranton, Pennsylvania. His first employers were the
American Woolen Company, and for some time after
leaving school he worked in the textile mills of that
company in Lawrence. Eventually, however, he took up
electrical construction work for the Lawrence Electrical
Supply Company. During the World War, 1917-18. Mr.
Berwick was stationed at the Charlestown Navy Yard,
where he was assistant in the electric and storage bat-
teries department. He was honorably discharged from
the United States navy on February 18, 1919, and resumed
civilian occupations. On September i, 1919, he ventured
into business for himself, opening in the Back Bay
garage, in Lawrence. The following June he removed



BIOGRAPHICAL



357



his business to his present address, corner of Knox and
Jackson streets. There he confines his electrical work
to automobile repairs, and is stated to be the most expert
man in this line in Lawrence. Indeed, in electrical appa-
ratus and batteries in general, he seems to have compre-
hensive knowledge, and his advice is often sought to
clear difficult problems of electrical construction.

Mr. Berwick is a member of Lawrence Lodge, No. 65,
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and of the
Knights of Columbus of Lawrence. In his church affilia-
tion he is a member of St. Laurence's Catholic Church,
of Lawrence.

Mr. Berwick married, in 1914, Yvonne Camire, who
was born in St. Flavie, Canada, of French-Canadian
parents, Joseph A. and Flore (Couture) Camire, who
later came to Lawrence, where Mr. Camire is now
employed as a carpenter in the Pacific Mills. Mr. and
Mrs. Berwick have four children : Thorndyke Louis,
born in 1915 ; Marie Louise, born in 1916; Flore Mar-
celle, born in 1919; and Louis Philip, Jr., born in 1920.



FRED L. FOSTER, of Lynn, Massachusetts, began
life in the industrial world of Lynn, and after serving
in the L^nited States army, returned to his native city to
take up executive work in the same line.

Mr. Foster is a son of Lin wood R. and Clara L.
(Knight) Foster, long residents of Lynn. Linwood R.
Foster was born in Parsonfield, York county, Maine, and
came to Lynn in his youth. He has for many years been
a shoe salesman here, first for the Thomas & Tarr Com-
pany, and later for the Eastman Shoe Company. The
mother was a native of Naples, Maine.

Fred L. Foster was born in Lynn, on December 29,
1894. He received a practical education in the public
schools of this city, then went to work for the J. H.
Sutherland Company, where he remained until 1916. For
a year thereafter he was in the employ of A. E. Little &
Company, of Lynn, and from there he enlisted in the
aviation service of the United States army. Transferred
two months later to the ordnance department, he was
stationed at Camp Travis, Texas, then later was sent to
the Wentworth Institute, in Boston, where he took up
a course in gas engines. He was honorably discharged
from the service February 7, 1919.

On October 15, 1919, Mr. Foster became a member of
the firm of the Whitcomb Pattern Company, Inc., and
was elected president of the company. As the head of
this rapidly growing interest, he is now a part of the
industry which bears so large a share in the prosperity
of the city. Mr. Foster is a member of the Lynn
Chamber of Commerce, and is interested in every phase of
civic advancement. He is a member of the First Uni-
versalist Church of Lynn.

Mr. Foster married, in 1917. Gladys E. White, of
Lynn, daughter of John T. and Elizabeth (Richmond)
White. Mrs. Foster's father has long been engaged in
the shoe industry here. Her mother was born in Con-
cord. New Hampshire.



Mr. Varney has given his earnest support to all move-
ments calculated to advance business development. He
is a business man of keen ability and has attained a high
degree of success.

Penn Varney was born at Wolfeboro, New Hamp-
shire, November 15, 1859, the son of Augustus J. and
Mercy (Hussey) Varney, both old and respected resi-
dents of the town. The education of the boy Penn was
obtained in the public schools of his native place. In
1882 he came to Lynn and started to learn architectural
drafting with H. K. Wheeler. Being naturally adapted to
this particular line of work, he soon made rapid strides
and in 1888 established himself in business. As an archi-
tect Mr. Varney is well known not only in Lynn but in
Schenectady, New York, where the pul)lic library, the
Gleason building, the Brown building, the Vendome
Hotel and the private residence of H. S. De Forest are
fruits of his labors, as well as the Elks' Home at Amster-
dam, New York ; the Porteous Mitchell and Braun
building of Portland, Maine ; Saco and Biddeford Insti-
tution of Savings at Saco, Maine; Sanford Town Hall at
Sanford, Maine; public library at Barre, Vermont;
Classical High school, Lynn, Massachusetts ; and the
First National Bank Building at Skowhegan, Maine. At
present, 1921, Mr. Varney is at work on the plans for
the Gardner Memorial building and Town Hall, whose
cost of erection it is estimated will be one-half million
dollars.

On June 13, 1893, Penn Varney was united in marriage
with Emma L. Hussey, daughter of Samuel B. and
Caroline M. (Doe) Hussey. Mr. and Mrs. Varney are
the parents of one child, Kenneth P., born November 6,
1898.

The career of Mr. Varney from its beginning is
characterized by much hard work and persistent expen-
diture of energy, and the substantial position which he
has come to occupy in the life of the community is the
obvious and appropriate reward of application and men-
tal qualifications of a high order. He is devoted to his
home and finds his chief happiness in the intimate inter-
course of his own hearthstone, although he has a great
host of friends whose devotion he returns in kind.



PENN VARNEY— .\ prominent figure in the busi-
ness life in Lynn, Massachusetts, where he is established
as an architect, is Penn Varney. The welfare and
advancement of the city has always been uppermost in
his mind, and since coming to this community in 1882,



WILLIAM M. CAMPBELL, owner of a good busi-
ness in Lawrence, Massachusetts, has quite an interest-
ing record and much of it is connected with military
affairs. He is a veteran of the Spanish-.\merican War,
and has come into note as a marksman.

Mr. Campbell was born in Lynn, Massachusetts, on
July 15, 1873, son of Joseph M. and Annie M. (Thorn)
Campbell. As the patronymic indicates, he is of Scottish
antecedents. Both of his parents were born in Scotland,
his mother in Banff. After coming to this country, his
father was identified with the Massachusetts shoe manu-
facturing industry. He died in 1918, survived by his
widow and their six children, three sons and three
daughters, William M. being their first-torn. The family
lived in Lynn, Massachusetts, and there William M. and
his brothers and sisters received the greater part of their
education. After leaving school, William M. Campbell
found employment in the machine shop of David Knox,
at Lynn, Massachusetts. He remained with him for
seventeen years, for the greater part of that time being
foreman of the plant. In 1906 he decided to venture into



358



ESSEX COUNTY



business for himself, in a different line, however. He
went to the city of Salem, Massachusetts, and there
opened a laundry, which became known as the Up-to-
Date Laundry. He continued that enterprise for two
years, but after he had acquired the Lawrence business
of L. H. Farns worth, he transferred his activities to that
city. Mr, Campbell is an enterprising and distinctly ener-
getic man, and soon developed Campbell's Wet Wash
Laundry, under which name his Lawrence business was
conducted, and it became a well-paying concern. He
has held to the business ever since, and by efficient and
good service, has expanded his operations until he has,
it is stated, the largest wet-wash laundry in Lawrence.
His laundry plant, at No. 26 Island street, occupies an
entire building, giving him over 5,000 square feet of floor
space for this purpose, and in it Mr. Campbell finds
almost constant employment for about thirty people.

Mr. Campbell has a military record extending over
nine years, including one year of war service in Cuba
during the Spanish-.\merican War. He went to Cuba
with the Eighth Massachusetts Regiment, and in Com-
pany D rose rapidly. He was finally honorably dis-
charged with the grade of sergeant-major. But he
continued his interest in military affairs after reentering
civil life, and joined the State forces. He has come
especially into note as a marksman. He holds the Dis-
tinguished Marksman Medal, which is the highest honor
possible in competitive shooting, and he led the entire
State one year in revolver shooting. He was a valued
member of the State team, and took part notably in
many competitions.

Mr. Campbell is a member of the Spanish War Vet-
erans Association ; belongs to the Lawrence Fish and
Game Association, and the Haverhill Yacht Oub ; and
fraternally is an Odd Fellow. By religious belief he is
a Presbyterian, a member of the Lawrence church.

Mr. Campbell married, in 1896, Alice M. Durkee, of
Nova Scotia, and they have one child, Dorothy H., who
was born in 1903.



HIRAM C. STRAKER, chief engineer and master
mechanic of the Pemberton Mills, of Lawrence, Massa-
chusetts, is highly skilled in his line of work, having had
many years of actual experience combined with natural
ability.

Mr. Straker was born in the Province of Quebec,
Canada, March 3, 1876, son of Thomas Straker, a native
of Yorkshire, England, who died in i8g8. He had been
engaged in the real estate business and was also an
extensive dealer in horses. His mother was Mary
(Wallace) Straker, of Scotland, who died the same
year as her husband.

The public schools and St. John's Military Academy
were the sources of Mr. Strakcr's early education, and
at a very early age his aptitude for mechanical work was
apparent. His first position was with the Massey and
Sawyer Company, in Manitoba, Canada, and in i8g8 he
removed to North Andovcr, Massachusetts, where he
was assistant master mechanic of the Suttons Mills.
After four years he went to Lowell, as engineer of the
Lowell Machine Company, remaining for five years.

For three years, from 1909 to 1912, Mr. Straker con-
ducted a school for instruction in steam engineering, a
subject on which he is a widely known authority, and he



has written several articles on the subject. His school
was in Lowell, and he had 450 pupils enrolled ; he con-
tinued very successful for three years, but then dis-
continued the school owing to ill health, finding it imper-
ative to retire from active business for a long period.
Many of the former pupils of this school have achieved
recognition for their work in various parts of the
county and Mr. Straker takes much pride in their suc-
cess.

After recovering his health, Mr. Straker went to
Plymouth, Massachusetts, and there obtained a position
as master mechanic of the Standish Worsted Company,
and in 191 7 came to Methuen, where he accepted the
position which he now holds. There is perhaps no man
in Essex county better informed on his subject than Mr.
Straker, and many of the articles which he writes are
published in the technical magazines. He is a member
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows ; the Loyal
Order of Moose, and the National and International
Association of Engineers.

Mr. Straker married, December 25, 1910, Agnes Ruth
Murray, of Quebec, Canada, and they are the parents
of a son, Camplin Murray Straker, born Decemlier 5,
1919.



JAMES E. SUTCLIFFE, who ranks as the second

largest manufacturer of leather heels in Lyim and who
during the World War was a United States Government
contractor, was born in Todmorden, Yorkshire, England,
on December 5, 1866, son of Joseph and Sarah C. (Hors-
fall) Sutcliffe, the former a corduroy manufacturer in
England, where he died in 1891, and his widow in the
following year.

James E. Sutcliffe did not come to the United States
until he was about twenty-one years old. He was edu-
cated in English public schools, and crossed to this country
in 1887. He settled in Lynn, Massachusetts, and for
thirty-two years was in the employ of local firms, serving
Rice & Hutchins, Littlefield & Moulton, Joseph Conant,
Winch Brothers, and for each of these manufacturers
he was for some time superintendent of their factory.
On January i, 1919, he became owner of the manufactur-
ing business formerly conducted at No. 2 Box' Place
(commonly known as Lucky Lane), Lynn, by the firm
of Kenney & Besant. He stayed there, however, only a
short time, for its quarters were altogether too small for
his business, which grew very rapidly. He found more
commodious quarters at No. 41 Wyman street, and he
bought the building there situated. He quickly adapted
it to his purposes, and installed fifty drying machines, or
double the number he had been able to find room for in
the old factory. Mr. Sutcliffe specializes in leather heels,
and his new factory has a capacity of 30.000 heels a day.
Altogether the plant uses 19,000 square feet of floor
space, and the factory finds employment for forty per-
sons, Mr. Sutcliffe fortunately being able to avoid labor
troubles by drawing his help from the community, which
plan effects an appreciable saving to the workers in car-
fare, the saving giving them a higher rating than down-
town factory hands have. Mr. Sutcliffe's operations are
governed by a very effective motto "Quality Counts," and
in consequence his product is not difficult to sell. It is
said that no jobbers ever visit his plant, and during and
immediately succeeding the World War Mr. Sutcliffe




Jwt. ^iPOAy ^i^^^






BIOGRAPHICAL



359



had more business almost than he could cope with. He
had a large export trade, and made a large number of
heels for United States soldiers.

Before coming to this country, Mr. Sutcliffe served
for three years in the Volunteer branch of the British
army, and, as will later herein be noted, two of his sons
were in the United States service during the World War.

Mr. Sutcliffe married, in 1895, Sadie Caroline Cough-
lin, of Prince Edward Island. She was the daughter of
John and Caroline (MacWilliams) Coughlin. Her father
was a sea captain, and later a farmer on Prince Edward
Island, where he died in 1897. Mr. and Mrs. Sutcliffe
have four children : Young Edward, who was born in
1896; Dean Cooper, who was born in 1898; Gladys
Caroline, born in 1901 ; and Katharine Goodale, born in
1906. The elder son. Young Edward, was in the United
States Naval Aviation Corps during the World War.
He enlisted on January 5, 1918, and was sent to Charles-
ton, South Carolina, and transferred from there to the
Naval Observatory at Washington, D. C, later going to
Key West, Florida, where he was stationed at the close
of the war. He was honorably discharged in December,
1918, having then the grade of quartermaster. The other
son. Dean Cooper, was accepted into the United States
armed forces, but was not assigned to duty until the day
of the Armistice, November 11, 1918. The elder daugh-
ter, Gladys C, has shown very promising talent as a
vocalist. As a soprano soloist she is coming into increas-
ing notice, and in October, 1921, made her debut on the
concert platform.



JOHN W. ALEXANDER, one of the most promi-
nent officials in the mill industry in Lawrence, Massachu-
setts, and also a leading citizen of that city, is highly
esteemed among his contemporaries. He was born June
30, 1871, in Edinburgh, Scotland, the son of John Alex-
ander, a native of Fifeshire, Scotland, where he was
engaged in manufacturing, and where he died in 1901,
aged about si.xty-six years. The mother of John W.,
Elizabeth (Walker) Alexander, died in Fifeshire, Scot-
land, in 1894.

Mr. Alexander attended school in Scotland, and when
he was eighteen years old, came to the United States.
Through association with his father he had acquired
some experience in manufacturing lines, and naturally
sought similar work in America. His first employment
was in New Bedford, for Pales & Jenks, of Pawtucket, as
an erector of textile machinery. While there he attended
the textile school. From there he went to Fitchburg and
spent ten j'ears as a loom-fixer with the Parkhill Manu-



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 18 of 56)