Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 19 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 19 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


facturing Company, thence removing to several other
towns in Massachusetts, working as overseer and super-
intendent of weaving. In Easthampton, Massachusetts,
he worked for a firm, the first in America to weave tire
fabric, and Mr. Alexander had a responsible part in this
initial production. This industry has now extended
throughout the country, and is one of the important
industries of Massachusetts. Mr. Alexander continued as
superintendent of this plant until 1914, in which year he
was offered the superintendency of the Katama Mills of
Lawrence, which position he accepted, also being made
agent of those mills, the product is tire fabric. For
almost eight years he has been located in the latter city



and during this time has won a high place in the esteem
of the leading business men there.

Mr. Alexander has that personality that makes him a
born leader of men ; he makes friends verj' easily and
what is still better, he has the ability to hold friendship.
On an average there are 450 men in his employ, and
during normal conditions more than 160,000 pounds of
cotton pass through the mills each week.

During the Soudan War Mr. Alexander felt the call
of duty, and served four years in the service of the
British army, as a member of the renowned Black Watch.
He is a member of several fraternal organizations, among
them being Ionic Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of
Easthampton ; Massachusetts Consistory ; and Aleppo
Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic
Shrine, of Boston. He is also a member of the Man-
chester Unity of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
at Northampton, Massachusetts ; and the Scottish Clan
Leslie, of Fitchburg. From boyhood Mr. Alexander has
been interested in music, and studied voice culture in
Edinburgh. He has a bass voice, and has sung in choirs in
all the cities he lived in prior to coming to Lawrence.

Mr. .'Mexander married, in 1895, Isabella K. Hay, of
Scotland, daughter of John and Jeanette (Dalgleish)
Hay, of that place, and they are the parents of four chil-
dren : Janet J., Hope C, William H. and Hazel I. Mr.
Alexander and his family attend the Methodist church of
Lawrence.

LAURENCE USHER FULLER— Prominent in the

insurance world of Lynn, Massachusetts, Mr. Fuller is
taking a very practical part in the general advance of
Essex county. Mr. Fuller is a son of Charles S. and
Addie G. (Usher) Fuller, his father having been for
many years a leading shoe manufacturer in this city.

Laurence Usher Fuller was born in Lynn, Massachu-
setts, March 31, 1881. and received his early education in
the public schools of the city. Taking a preparatory
course in the Haverford Preparatory School of Phila-
delphia. Pennsylvania, he entered the Massachusetts Insti-
tute of Technology, where he studied for two years.
His first employment was in an apprentice course with
the General Electric Company, of Lynn, then he became
associated with his father as assistant in the office of the
shoe factory in Salem, and continued there until his
father's death. The concern was then reorganized, and
Mr. Fuller withdrew his interest, forming an association
with Fred H. Vickary. in the insurance business in Lynn.
This is known as the Thos. B. Knight Company, and has
become a very successful and influential concern.

Mr. Fuller is broadly interested in civic affairs, but has
never found time to accept public office. He is a member
of the Oxford Club, and of the Unitarian church.

On June 30. 1915, Mr. Fuller married Anabel Ingalls,
daughter of Charles F. and Helen (Kimball) Ingalls.



WILLIAM H. FRANKLIN, JR., master plumber
of Merrimac, Massachusetts, has lived in that place and
Haverhill for the greater part of his life. He was born
in Brooklyn, New York, October 29, 1888, son of Wil-
liam H. and Margaret (Myers) Franklin, both natives
of New York City, the former born in September, 1862.
Indeed, the Franklin family is an old New York City



36o



ESSEX COUNTY



family, Thomas Franklin, grandfather of William H., Jr.,
also having been born there. He was a marine engineer,
and as such served in the United States Navy during the
Civil War. His sons were Cherry and William H. The
latter was a brassworker, and for some years after he had
married Miss Margaret Myers, lived in Brooklyn.
Eventually, however, the family came to Merrimac, Mas-
sachusetts, which was thereafter the place of abode of the
Franklins. The children of William H. and Margaret
(Myers) Franklin are: William H., Jr., the subject of
this sketch ; George Edward, born in Brooklyn, January
24, 1 891 ; and Walter, born in Merrimac, Massachusetts,
in June, 1905. The parents are still living, and are
respected citizens of Merrimac. They are Congrega-
tionalists.

William H. Franklin was reared in Brooklyn, and
there attended elementary school. Before he had passed
out of the graded school, however, the family moved to
Merrimac, and there the son continued his education,
passing from the graded to the high schools. After leav-
ing school, he began to earn money as a minor employee
of the New York City brokerage firm of Thomas Denny
& Company. He remained in New York in that line of
business for about two years, then coming to Haverhill.
The next fourteen years of his life were spent in the
employ of O. F. Bennett, plumber, of Haverhill. Under
him he learned that trade which he has held to ever since.
After fourteen years with Mr. Bennett, he went to
Worcester, Massachusetts, where for a year he worked
for the Tucker Rice Company. He then went to Squan-
tum, Massachusetts, where he worked at his trade in the
shipyard of the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Company for
about a year. In 1919 he returned to Haverhill, and for
twelve months or so found employment with the Murphy
Company. In 1920, he resolved to enter into business for
himself in Merrimac. He now has a good plumbing and
steam fitting business and has good prospects of develop-
ing it substantially.

Mr. Franklin served one enlistment in the Sixteenth
Regiment of the Massachusetts State Guard, belonging to
Company D, and rising to the grade of sergeant. He is
a member of the Massachusetts Master Plumbers' Asso-
ciation. Fraternally he is a member of the Masonic and
American Mechanics orders, being master of the Bethany
Lodge of Merrimac, of the former. In religious faith,
he is a Congregationalist.

Mr. Franklin was married, at Merrimac, Massachu-
setts, May 29, 1910, to Mabel Ella Pease, born there May
20, 1892, daughter of John Thomas Pease, carriage
maker. They have four children: William H. (3),
born October 28, 191 1 ; Helen Edith, born May 20, 1913 ;
Charlotte Christina, born November 25, 1914; and John
Thomas, born December 5, 1919.



FRANK C. NEWHALL— In the civic annals of the
town of Lynnfield, Massachusetts, for several genera-
tions past the name of Newhall is somewhat frequently
encountered. The Newhall family is one of the oldest
in Lynnfield, and Frank C. Newhall is one of the promi-
nent citizens of this generation. He has served as select-
man, as a member of the Board of Health, as a forest
warden, and as an overseer of the poor. His father was
a selectman and road commissioner for twenty-five years.



Frank Chandler Newhall was Ixirn in Lynnfield,
October 29, 1879, son of Frank and Urilda J. (Putnam)
Newhall. His father was a farmer, and his mother
belonged to a South Danvers family, one of the noted
Colonial New England families. Both parents are still
living.

Frank C. Newhall, as a boy, attended the Lynnfield
public schools, and later entered the Peabody High
School, after graduating from which he took the course
at the Salem Commercial School. He was thus well
equipped for commercial business. However, for a while,
he stayed with his father, and helped him in the work of
the farm. Soon, however, he began to work up a milk
route, and from that early enterprise has grown his
present substantial milk business in Lynnfield.

He has always manifested much interest in the public
affairs and general prosperity of his native place, and has
been quite ready to take a part in the responsibilities of
the town administration. He is popular in Lynnfield, and,
as before stated, is a selectman, and has undertaken other
public duties. He is also an active member of the local
Grange.

Mr. Newhall married, in 1901, Ethel M. Kelly, of Lynn,
daughter of Daniel N. and Susan F. (Wells) Kelly, the
former a shoe manufacturer of Danvers, who died in
1910, and the mother, who still lives, is of Lynn. Mr. and
Mrs. Newhall have two children : Albert F., born in
1902; and Eleanor F., born in 1910.



WILLIAM H. COLBERT— Now just at the prime
of his powers, Mr. Colbert, a native son, reviews a half
century of life spent in Salem, Massachusetts, his present
home. He began as a boy of twelve in a shoe factory
and for nearly forty years has made his own way. He
was a lad of fourteen when he began with the Philadel-
phia & Reading Coal and Iron Company, and from that
time until the present, 1921, he has been engaged in the
coal business.

John Colbert, of County Cork, Ireland, came to the
United States in boyhood and found a home in Salem,
Massachusetts. Later he entered the service of the old
Eastern railroad and continued in that employ until his
death. He married Hannah O'Leary, also born in
County Cork.

William H. Colbert, son of John and Hannah
(O'Leary) Colbert, was born in Salem, Massachusetts,
December 14, 1870, and there was educated in the public
schools. He began his wage-earning career in a Salem
shoe factory, but two years later, entered the employ of
the Philadelphia & Reading Coal and Iron (Company in
Salem, beginning at the bottom of the ladder and contin-
uing in ever-increasing position of responsibility until
becoming foreman of the coal pockets. He continued
with that company fifteen years, until 1899, having entered
their employ when a boy of fourteen, as water boy. In
his upward rise he was for a time engineer of one of the
coal hoisting engines, but the greater part of his term
was as foreman. This experience in handling coal so
familiarized him with the business that in 1899 he decided
to go into the retail coal business for himself.

Mr. Colbert formed a partnership with his brother,
Dennis W. Colbert, and in 1899 they opened a retail coal
yard, trading as the Colbert Brothers Coal Company, of



TH



i^" A'£\v



""""cubS'I,



'Jn.DB:



ASTOi,



N



2"-^o„.,




***■



^.-n'mra



i^t ■■•*'■■■




^^yC^^cL-yiMU^^ yy. /^i^>«-t.-«-«-^40^



BIOGRAPHICAL



361



Salem. They conducted a very successful business for
fifteen years, William H. Colbert buying his brother's
interest in 1914 and continuing the business alone, but
under the old name, Colbert Brothers. He is well known
in the city and has won an honorable position among
Salem business men.

From 1900 until 1903 Mr. Colbert represented his
ward in the Common Council. In 1905 he was elected
alderman and served through reelections until 1914. He
is a member of the Salem Chamber of Commerce; Salem
Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks ; Cath-
olic Order of Foresters; John Bertram Lodge, United
Order of American Workmen ; and the Enterprise Social
Club. In religious faith he is a Catholic, a member of
Immaculate Conception Church.

Mr. Colbert married, in 1895, Margaret S. Callahan,
of Salem, and they are the parents of two daughters :
Helena M., who is in charge of the bookkeeping depart-
ment of Colbert Brothers Coal Company ; and Anna M.



In September, 1917, Mr. Simpson married Gertrude M.
Whiston, of Chicago, Illinois, and they have one daugh-
ter, Josephine Mary.



ALBERT E. SIMPSON— With long experience in

his chosen field of endeavor, Mr. Simpson, of Lynn, Mas-
sachusetts, has worked his way up from the beginning
to membership in the firm with which he has been con-
nected for upwards of fourteen years.

Albert E. Simpson was born in Leicester, England, in
1879. and is a son of Edwin Simpson, a native of that
city, who has been engaged in the shoe industry there all
his life.

Receiving his education in the schools of Leicester,
with a supplementary course at the Workmens' Col-
lege, he began life in the shoe factories of Leicester,
remaining there until 1907, when he came to this country.
Locating in Lynn, he entered the employ of A. R. King
& Company, of Lynn, but after about si.x months left this
firm and became associated with Williams & Clarke.
For another six months he was employed here, then
entered the factory of H. W. Whitcomb & Company, of
which he is now part owner. As Mr. Simpson was con-
nected with the Walker, Kempson & Stevens Company,
Ltd., of Leicester, England, as shoe designer, he was
especially fitted to take up the responsibilities of the
Whitcomb factory, in the manufacture of patterns.
Eventually, in 191S, Mr. Simpson became part owner of
the business.

The Whitcomb Pattern Company was founded in 1886
by Henry W. Whitcomb. who is known in the shoe indus-
try from coast to coast as one of the leading designers of
the country, and his patterns have been in universal
demand in the United States for many years, and also
in several foreign countries.

As the Whitcomb Pattern Company, Inc., Mr. Simp-
son, in association with Fred L. Foster, whose life is
reviewed elsewhere in this work, is carrying forward this
important industry. Mr. Foster is president of the com-
pany, and Mr. Simpson is treasurer. The high standard
of excellence set by Mr. Whitcomb is still the measure
of achievement for the present corporation.

Mr. Simpson is a member of the Lynn Chamber of
Commerce. In public matters he is deeply interested,
and was an active member of the soliciting committee
during the Liberty Loan drives. He is a member of
Golden Fleece Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of
Lynn.



FREDERICK W. KENNEDY was born at Pas-
coag, Rhode Island, on October 29, 1870, and is a son
of Frederick and Charlotte (Maher) Kennedy. His
father was born in County Cork, Ireland, and died in
Harrisville, Rhode Island, in 1909, aged about seventy-
five years. He came to America with his wife and located
in Rhode Island, where he was employed in the textile
mills until his death. Mr. Kennedy's mother, who was
also born in Ireland, is still liN-ing in Harrisville, Rhode
Island.

Frederick W. Kennedy received his early education in
the public schools of Pascoag and after having completed
his studies, obtained employment with William Tinkahn
& Company, of Harrisville, Rhode Island, where he
worked in the pattern department. He was steadily pro-
moted by the management of the company until, when
he finally left the service of the firm in 1910, he held the
position of designer. In 191 1 he moved to Lawrence,
Massachusetts, and entered the service of the United
States Worsted Company. He has remained there ever
since and at present holds the position of designer for
that company.

Mr. Kennedy is a Catholic, a member of Saint Patrick's
Catholic Church at Lawrence. He is a member of the
Ancient Order of Hibernians, the Foresters of America,
and of the Lawrence British Club. In politics he is a
Republican.

Mr. Kennedy married, in 1901, Estelle A. Mack, daugh-
ter of James H. Mack, of Mapleville, Rhode Island. Mrs.
Kennedy was born at Mapleville, on November 24, 1880.
Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy have five children : Frederick J.,
Raymond E., Marion A., Ambrose J., and Justine M.
Kennedy.



GEORGE E. LANE— For thirty-three years, 1886-
1919, George W. Lane was engaged in the retail coal'
business in Salem. Massachusetts, having purchased, in
1886, the business of Augustus T. Brooks, of Salem.
From that year until 1900 he conducted it as the George
W. Lane Company, but in the latter year he admitted
his son, George E. Lane, as a partner, and they carried
on the business under the firm name of George W. Lane
& Son. George W. Lane passed away in March, 1919,
at the great age of ninety, having been born January 5,
1829, in Hampton, New Hampshire. From youth until
1886 he was a resident of Hampton, but in that year he
came to Salem, Massachusetts, where he was engaged as
a retail coal dealer until his death. He married Mary F.
Towle, of Hampton, New Hampshire, and they were the
parents of George E. Lane, of further mention.

George E. Lane was born in Hampton', New Hamp-
shire, March 20, 1859, and there was educated in the
public schools. After leaving school he went West,
where he was engaged in mercantile life. He continued
in that line until the year 1900, when he was admitted to
a partnership in the retail coal business in Salem with his
father, under the firm name of George W. Lane & Son.
For nineteen years father and son continued in business,
the son, however, carrying the heavier burden of man-
agement, for the father was an old man, although an



^62



ESSEX COUNTY



unusually active one for his years. Since the death of
George W. Lane, in 1919, the son, George E. Lane, has
conducted the business alone.

George E. Lane is a member of the Masonic order and
the Masonic Club of Salem ; member of the Salem
Chamber of Commerce ; and attends the Methodist Epis-
copal church of Salem. Mr. Lane married, in 1888,
Cora A. Woodward, of Nebraska, and they are the
parents of five children : Mary, married Charles A.
Whipple, of Salem; George W. (2), married Beatrice
Scarlett, of Salem; Sarah F., Leon W., and Lucille M.
The family are attendants of the Methodist Episcopal
church of Salem.



WELLINGTON F. ROGERS— Born in Salem,
Massachusetts, Mr. Rogers became a resident of Marble-
head, Massachusetts, in 1897, and there has since resided,
his position, chief engineer of the Marblehead Building
Association. He is a son of Tristram and Martha
(Woodman) Rogers, his father a shoe manufacturer,
born in Byfield, Massachusetts, his mother born in
Frankfort, Maine. Tristram and Martha (Woodman)
Rogers were the parents of four children: Wellington
F., of further mention ; Madeline, died in Providence,
Rhode Island ; Everett Elmer, who also died in Provi-
dence ; and Cora G., deceased.

Wellington F. Rogers was born in Salem, Massachu-
setts, June 8, 1856, but received his education in the
public schools of Lynn, Massachusetts, where his father
was engaged as a shoe manufacturer. After completing
his school years, he became a machinist, been continuously
in service on both land and sea. He is an expert
machinist, and a competent engineer, his present engage-
ment being with the Marblehead Building Association, a
position he has held since 1897.

During his youthful years of manhood Mr. Rogers
served four years as a private of Company L National
Guard, of Lynn, Massachusetts. He was chancellor
commander of the Knights of Pythias, 1908-1919; com-
mander of the Marblehead Post, Sons of Veterans, 1917-
1921 ; and is a member of the Protestant Episcopal
church.

Mr. Rogers married, in Lynn, Massachusetts, Septem-
ber 3, 1908, Mary E. Bailey, born in Woodstock, Ver-
mont, May 2, 1865, daughter of John and Laura M.
(Hathaway) Bailey, her parents born in Woodstock.
Mrs. Laura M. (Hathaway) Bailey died in April, 1918.



GEORGE EBEN NICHOLS— Born and educated
in Marblehead, Massachusetts, George Eben Nichols has
there continued a resident, choosing the business of under-
taker, and conducting since 1906 a mortuary establish-
ment under his own name. He comes from an old time-
honored New England family, and is a son of Alfred M.
and Sedelia E. M. (Leavitt) Nichols, his father a union
veteran and member of the Grand Army of the Republic.

George Eben Nichols was born in Marblehead, Massa-
chusetts, ,A.pril 24, 1879, and there educated in the public
schools. He early became familiar with the undertaking
business, and after deciding to make funeral direction his
life-work, entered Massachusetts College of Embalming
and mastered that branch of his business. In 1906 he
established an undertaking establishment in Marblehead
under his own name and has now conducted it for



fifteen years. He ranks high as a funeral director, and
has the distinction of being the oldest undertaker in the
town. For three years he was a member of the Marble-
head Board of Health ; is a member of the Board of
Trade ; the Young Men's Christian Association, of which
he is a director; the Masonic order; the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows; Massachusetts Humane Society;
old North Congregational Church ; the Marblehead His-
torical Society; the Visiting Nurses Society and the
Order of American Mechanics.

Mr. Nichols married, at Haverhill, Massachusetts, Sep-
tember 19, 1907, Lucy Ellen Jefifrey, daughter of
Augustus M. Jefltrey. Mr. and Mrs. Nichols are the
parents of two children : George Jeffrey and Sabra
Elkins. Mrs. Nichols died November 30, 1921.



PHILIP L. HARDY, a general contractor of An-
dover, Massachusetts, was born in that city, December 26,
1890, and has attained his success within its confines.
His father, Lewis T. Hardy, of Andover, was one of the
leading citizens there during his day. He was also a
contractor, chief of the fire department, a director in the
Andover Savings Bank, and the Merrimac Mutual Fire
Insurance Company. His death occurred in 1916, and his
wife, Harriett R. (Abbott) Hardy, died the same year.

The education of Philip L. Hardy was obtained in the
public and high schools of Andover ; he graduated in
1907 from the latter institution and then attended the
Lowell Textile School. Subsequent to leaving school,
Mr. Hardy was employed by L. E. Locke in the con-
tracting business, and he was then associated with his
father's company for two years, following which time he
engaged in similar business for himself under the firm
name of P. L. Hardy. He has been very successful in
his undertaking and has a fine knowledge of the busi-
ness. Although young in years, Mr. Hardy has been
awarded several important contracts, and the manner in
which he has carried out his agreements has enhanced the
esteem in which he is held by his fellow business men.
He has not only upheld the honorable name made by his
father in the same line of business as a member of the
firm of Hardy & Cole for thirty-five years, but he has
further added to this honor. The senior firm was widely
known throughout New England and the son is well on
the road to duplicate its success.

Mr. Hardy's fraternal connections are with the Masons
and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks ; he is
also a member of the Andover Oub, and with his wife
attends the South Congregational Church.

Mr. Hardy married, in 1916, Ann V. Gillen, daughter
of James Gillen, of Andover, and they are the parents
of a daughter, Helen R. Hardy, born in 1918.



THOMAS H. BOLAND was born at Lowell, Mas-
sachusetts, on April 10. 1892, and is a son of Peter J.
and Catharine (Fleming) Boland. Mr. Boland's father
was born in Ireland, and a blacksmith by trade ; he died
in 1900. Catharine (Fleming) Boland was born in Eng-
land.

Mr. Boland received his early education in the public
schools of Lowell and is a graduate of the evening high
school of that city. He began his business career at
George E. Maker's picture framing establishment at
Lowell. After spending three years with Mr. Maker, he








A.-



BIOGRAPHICAL



363



entered the Kimball System, of Lowell, and remained
with his new associates for five years as a sign painter.
He then decided to move to Haverhill, and upon arriving
there, established his own business, the Essex Sign Com-
pany. He continued to manage this business success-
fully from 191 5, when he founded it, until November,
1917, when he enlisted in the United States army. After
his enlistment in the army, on November 16, 1917, Mr.
Boland was assigned to Langley Field as a member of
the 368th Aeroplane Squadron, where he remained until
January 14, 1919, when he received his discharge from the
service.

When the period of his military service was over, Mr.
Boland returned to Haverhill, and on November i, 1919,
reopened his business, which he conducts under the old
name of the Essex Sign Company, with ofiices at the rear
of a lot on Merrimack street. In addition to his active
work in the Essex Sign Company, Mr. Boland is the
junior partner of Twombly & Boland, Funeral Directors,
at No. 89 Main street, Bradford. Massachusetts.

Mr. Boland married, in 1918, Mary Cronin, of Haver-
hill, a daughter of James J. and Mary V. (Cummings)
Cronin. Her father was born in Ireland, and is at pres-
ent the proprietor of a grocery store at Haverhill ; her



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 19 of 56)