Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 2 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 2 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


which is located at Atkinson Common. Mr. and
Mrs. Hatch for years have been loyal and hard
working members of the Belleville Improvement
Society, being- charter members, and contributed in
a material manner to the development of Atkin-
son Common from a field into what is now one
of the most beautiful pai'ks in tliis section. Mr.
Hatch still remains as a member of the Atldn-
son Common commissioners, and take an active
interest in current events.

Mr. Hatch married Sarah B. Carlton, in East
Boston, Massachusetts, February 8, 1872, Rev.
George H. Vibbert, pastor of th( Univoisalist
church, officiating. Soon after their man-iage, New-
buryport became the family home and there Mr.
Hatch has been in business continuously. Mr;-..
Hatch is a daughter of Oliver O. and Sarah B.
(Osgood) Carlton, her father bom in North An-
dover, Massachusetts, died in 1865, her mother, of
New Hampsliii'e family, dying in 1881, both of
whom were of old Colonial families. Mr. and
Mrs. Orlando F. Hatch are the parents of three
children: Willard A., Frank L., and Laura C.



JEREMIAH JOSEPH DOHERTY— One of the

foremost men in the legal profession in Essex
county, Massachusetts, is Jeremiah Joseph (J.
Joseph) Doherty, long prominent in many lines of
activity, and now clerk of the District Court of
Southern Essex.

Mr. Doherty is a son of Jeremiah Doherty, a
sturdy eighteenth century pioneer, of Irish bkth,
who bore a noble part in the history of his adopt-
ed counti-y. He was bom in County Tipperai-y,
Ireland, and came to this countiy about 1850, lo-
cating in Lawrence, Massachusetts, where he was
employed in the mills. In 1863 he enlisted in
Company B, Fourth United States Volunteer
Heavy Artillery, and served to the end of the
war. He was an honored member of the Grand
Ai-my of the Republic, Post No. 5, of Lynn, Massa-
chusetts, and was a member of St. Mai-y's Church,
of Lynn; he died in 1893. He mai-ried Margaret
E. Landrigan, who v/as born in Tipperai-y, Ireland,
and died in 1914. They were the parents of a
daughter and two sons: Mai-y E., now deceased;
Jeremiah Joseph, whose name heads this review;
and Thomas A., a prominent dentist of Lynn,
Massachusetts, popular in social and club circles,
single, and a member of the Knights of Colum-
bus.

Jeremiah Joseph Doherty was bom in Lynn,
Massachusetts, on Januai-y 11, 1878. Gaining his
early education in St. Mary's Parochial School,
he was graduated from that institution in 1890.
He then entered the Lynn High School, electing
the classical course, and was graduated in 189.5.
Following this, he was, for one year, in the acad-
emic department of Harvard University, then
entered Boston University Law School, from which
he was gradated three years later. Mr. Doherty



was admitted to the Essex county bar in Feb-
ruary, 1900, beginning the practice of law im-
mediately thereafter. He was most successful
from the beginning, and in 1906 was appointed
assistant clerk of the Lynn Police Court, now
the District Court of Southern Essex. In 1911
Mr. Doherty was appointed by Governor Foss
clerk of this court, and was re-appointed to the
same office in 1916 by Governor Coolidge. He still
ably fills this exacting office.

In public life Mr. Doherty is thus a prominent
figure, but although a leader of the Republican
party in this county, he is far from being a
politician. During the World War he served as
secretary of the Local Draft Board, No. 1, for a
period of nineteen months.

In various activities Mr. Doherty is a well
known figure. He is an influential member of
the Essex County Bar Association, and is secre-
tary of the Lynn Bar Association. He is a mem-
ber of the Lynn Republican Club, and also of the
Essex RepubUcan Club. He is a member of the
Knights of Columbus, and an active worker for
the interest of the order; also a member of the
Harvard Club, of Lynn.

Mr. Doherty married (first) Josephine V. Connor,
daughter of Dennis Connor, of Revere, Massachu-
setts, who died on April 3, 1914. He mai-ried (sec-
ond) on October 19, 1919, Mrs. Nora G. WhaJen,
widow of Thomas F. Whalen. Mrs. Doherty was
bom in Boston, on January 6, 1886, and is a
daughter of Timothy and Nora (Mara) Sullivan,
her parents having been bom in Ireland. Mrs.
Nora G. (Whalen) Doherty is the mother of four
children: Mary M., Thomas F., Genevieve R., and
Helena C. Whalen. The family are members of
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, of Lynn.



ANDREW J. SWEETSER — The surname
Sweetser is identical with Swetser and Switzer,
both of which are still in use by various branches
of the family. Concerning the origin of the name.
Lower suggests that it was applied by the English
to natives of Switzerland. The term was used
especially for the foreign soldiers imported into
England for use in the various wars, and in gen-
eral came to be used for a mercenary soldier.
This, however, was a later development, for the
name -v{as in use in England long before mer-
cenaries in any number were brought into the
kingdom. In the Close Rolls of the twenty-ninth
year of the regn of Edward III. we find the entry
"Richard Swetesire." The name is not a common
one either in England or America, and the family
is not numerous.

The New England Sweetsers and their branches
throughout the United States descend from one
progenitor, Seth Sweetser, who was admitted an
inhabitant at Charlestown, Massachusetts, in the
year 1637. Seth Sweetser, the immigrant ancestor
and founder, was bom in 1606, and emigrated to
the New England colonies from Tring, in Hertford-
shire, a place thirty miles distant from London.
He settled in Charlestown in 1637, and was ad-



246



ESSEX COUNTY



mitted to the church there, January 8, 1638. On
March 14, 1638-39, he became a freeman. He was
a shoemaker by ti-ade. A letter from his cousin,
Daniel Field, dated at Tring, May 10, 1642, has
been preserved. It mentions his cousin Crane,
father Lake, Aunt Hoten, his brothers, and sister
Elis. It notifies him that he was to receive a
butt of leather for which he was to pay ten
pounds to Thomas Welch or Goodman Fowler;
it also conveys messages of love to William Phil-
lips and his wife. Seth Sweetser made a deed
of gift to his son, Benjamin Sweetser, in 1660, and
died May 27, 1662, aged fifty-six years. His will
was signed May 24, 1662, and proved June 17 fol-
lowing. He bequeathed to wife Elizabeth, daugh-
ter Sarah, son Samuel Blanchard and his wife
Mai-y, daughter Hannah Fitch, and to his wife's
three children by an earlier marriage. His son,
Benjamin Sweetser, and Edward Drinker, were ex-
ecutors; Mr. Richard Russell and "my brother
Thomas Gold" overseers. His first wife Bethia
was admitted to the church, September 9, 1639.
He man-ied (second), Api-il, 1661, Elizabeth
Oakes, widow of Thomas Oakes, of Cambridge.
His widow maiTied (third) Samuel Hayward. Seth
Sweetser left only one son to perpetuate the
name.

Benjamin Sweetser, son of Seth and Bethia
Sweetser, was born in Tring, England, about
1632, and died July 22, 1718, in Charlestown, where
he settled with his parents in early childhood.
He inherited his father's homestead, and followed
the trade of last-maker in Charlestown. He was a
prominent Baptist at the time that denomination
was being oppressed by the Puritans, and was
fined fifty pounds and imprisoned for his re-
ligious views. His will, dated May 5, 1716, was
proved August 12, 1718. He married Abigail
Wigglesworth, bom 1632, died July 22, 1718, aged
eighty-six years, according to her gravestone.
From Benjamin Sweetser and his wife are de-
scended all of the name in New England today
who trace their ancestry to the Colonial period.
In successive generations the family has produced
many men of considerable prominence in business,
financial and professional life in New England.

Moses Mansfield Sweetser, of Lynn, Massa-
chusetts, founder of a well knowm tobacco busi-
ness, and a well known figure in mercantile circles
in Lynn in the last half of the nineteenth century,
was a lineal descendant of Benjamin Sweetser,
above mentioned. He was bom at Sweetser Cor-
ner (named for the family, which has been set-
tled in that vicinity for generations), Cliftondale,
Massachusetts, March 20, 1801, and died in Lynn,
aged seveAty-three years. He was educated in
the public schools of Cliftondale, and began his
business career in Lynn, with which city he was
identified until his death. In 1861, Mr. Sweetser
established himself in the tobacco business. The
venture proved highly successful and he conducted
it with lucrative returns for several years, even-
tually disposing of his interests to the Perry
Lorrillard Tobacco Company. He was the inven-



tor of the Macaboy snuff boxes.

Mr. Sweetser was widely known throughout
Lynn, and was a vital influence in religious circles
in the city for many years. For a long period he
was a leading layman in the Methodist church,
preaching on occasions. He was an able public
speaker, forceful, eloquent, and thoroughly well
informed. It was largely through his activities in
the matter that Brigham Young was driven out
of Salem. Although he lent his support un-
stintedly to every movement to advance civic wel-
fare, he remained aloof from politics, and was in
no sense of the word an office-seeker. In later
life he became deeply interested in spiritualism,
and was active in research in this field, and for
many years was president of the Spiritualist
church.

In 1821, Moses M. Sweetser married, in Lynn,
Mary Reed Dixon, daughter of Joseph and Mary
(Reed) Dixon, member of a prominent old New
England family. She died at the age of forty-
seven years. Issue: 1. Moses, bom 1823. 2. Wil-
liam Heni-y, bom 1824. 3. Alonzo, born 1827. 4.
Mary Reed, bom 1828. 5. Elizabeth R., bom 1830.
6. Andrew Jackson, of whom further. 7. Frances
D., bom 1833. 8. Annie M, bom 133.5. 9. Harriet
A. 10. Clarissa C, bom 1838; married Charles
Jeffrey, whom she survives, and resides at No. 174
Broadway, Lynn, (see following sketch). 11.
George W., born 1840. 12. Henrietta, bom 1842.
All the children, with the exceptions of Clarissa
C. and Andrew Jackson are now deceased.

Andrew Jackson Sweetser, foui-th son and sixth
child of Moses Mansfield and Mary Reed (Dixon)
Sweetser, was bom in North Salem, Massach-
setts, March 10, 1831. He obtained his early edu-
cational training in the public schools of his
birthplace, and as a young man entered the hotel
business, which he followed vrith uniform success
in various parts of the country for many years.
Mr. Sweetser now lives retired in Lynn, Massa-
chusetts, at the ripe old age of ninety years. His
personal qualifications for the work he followed
for so long were the determining factors of his
prosperous continuance therein. Professional en-
tertainment came naturally to him and the guests
of his establishments never failed to return when
circumstances brought them again to the vicinity.
The charm of his cordial manner and his sincere
anxiety for the comfort and satisfaction of his
patrons attracted a generous clientele, and in the
course of his business life he made many firm
friends among the thousands of men in all walks
of life who came under his roof. There is no
business in which the personal equation is more
prominent than in hotel keeping, and the open
secret of Mr. Sweetser's popularity and success
in his calling was the pleasant atmosphere of
welcome that pervaded his establishments, an at-
mosphere that came from his genial, kindly pres-
ence. Mr. Sweetser is a Spiritualist in religious
belief, strong in the faith that was his father's.

Mr. Sweetser married (second) in Lynn, Massa-
chusetts, in 1883, Pauline W. Waldron, daughter



BIOGRAPHICAL



247



of Charles H. Waldron. They are the parents of
one son, Charles H., who is a Spiritualistic me-
dium. The family home is at No. 426 Broadway,
Lynn.



CHARLES JEFFREY— The life work of Charles
Jeffrey, performed in the last half of the nine-
teenth century, can be summed up in the state-
ment that he met every obligation, shirked no
duty, and returned a good account of his steward-
ship. What makes this record of interest and im-
portance is not his material accomplishments, but
the spirit that animated him in all of his effort,
the influence for good that he exerted upon the
large circle of his friends. He labored in produc-
tive, essential fields, and throughout the seventy-
five years of his life walked among his fellows
in virtue and honor, a man among men, upright
and respected.

Son of .Johri and Maiy (Larabee) Jeffrey, Charles
Jeffrey, was bom on the old Turnpike, now East-
em avenue, Lynn, Massachusetts, March 15, 1820,
and died in that city, June 29, 1895. John Jeff-
rey was a faiTner and later in life became a shoe-
maker, continuing active in that calling during the
days of hand-made boots and shoes. Their chil-
dren were: John, Samuel, Frank, William, Mehit-
able, Mary, Joseph, and Charles, of whom fui^
ther.

Charles Jeffrey enjoyed few of the educational
advantages that the average youth bom into his
station of life considei-s his by right today, at-
tending school only during the winter months
and becoming a bread-winner at the early age of
seven years. At this time he worked on his
father's' farm during the summer, and in the
shops of Lynn when there was no need for farm
labor at home. The hardships of liis lot did
little but to ciystallize his determination to take
advantage of whatever opportunities for self-
improvement came his way, and in his later years
he had so far made up for the handicap of earlier
years that there were few men whose store of
useful knowledge was more complete and exact.
He continued work on the farm and in the shops
until his man-iage, when he devoted himself more
closely to tmck farming, a line in which his
industry and fair dealing v/on him a generous
measure of success. He was a Republican in
political sympathy, but his home and his business
were his principal interests, and depite the fact
that his standing in the community would have
assured him of heavy support he consistently held
aloof from public ofSce.

Mr. Jeffrey married, in 1860, Clarissa C. Sweot-
ser, bom in Lynn, Massachusetts, in 1838, daugh-
ter of Moses M. and Maiy R. (Dixon) Sweetser,
(see preceding sketch). Since the death of her
husband, Mrs. Jeffrey has continued her residence
at the home at No. 430 Broadway, LjTin, the scene
of their ideal companionship of so many years.
Mrs. Jeffrey and her brother, Andrew J. Sweet-
ser, are the only survivors of a family of six
sons and six daughters.



This is the period when all the world looks to
New England, and when New England herself
pays tribute to the human elements that have
made her gi-eat. Fitting and proper is it to look
back to the Pilgrim and Puritan fathers and to
recognize anew their gift to humanity. But had
the torch that they lighted not been carefully
watched by the generations that followed, had
not fuel of patriotism, conscience, high-minded
endeavor been supplied in abundance, the goodly
heritage would have been lost. It is the lives
of such men as Charles Jeffrey, substantial, law-
abiding, progi-essive-minded citizens, that have
provided the medium through which the benefits
of the courage and exalted ideals of yester-year
have been transmitted to the present.



CHARLES N. KELLY— Through long affilia-
tion with the city of Haverhill, Mr. Kelly has
become widely known and there he is deeply ap-
preciated for his public spirit. Throughout his
career he has been an ardent exponent of the
trade slogan, "Hitch your heart to Haverliill,'"
and both his private and his public activities have
been characterized by farsighted vision and sound
judgment. He has grown from a small beginning
to his present position, and has long been active
in the movement tending towards city betterment,
his administration as president of the Chamber
of Commerce one of the most gratifying the cham-
ber has to i-ecall. He is a man of ready initiative,
genial and companionable, making friends easily
and naturally.

Mr. Kelly comes of the oldest Kelly stock in the
United States, the original settlers having landed
at Newbury, (now Rowley) Massachusetts, where
they founded a peiinanent home, although later
generations have scattered to many parts of the
country. He is a son of Prescott and Mary Jane
(Austin) Kelly, his father a successful farmer
and lumberman. The family is of English origin.
Charles N. Kelly was bom in Salem, New
Hampshire, July 24, 1854, there was educated
in the public schools, and there spent the first
twenty years of his life. In 1874, he located in
Haverhill, Massachusetts, where he later became a
member of the firm, Kelly Brothers, contractors
and builders. He has, during the more than four
decades of Haverhill residence, successfully man-
aged several lines of business through his con-
tracting operations, and was the first president of
the Haverhill Master Builders' Association, or-
ganized in 1916. This organization led to closer
relationship between the different building firms
and the benefits have been far-reaching.

Mr. Kelly has always been a public-spiiited
citizen, serving in many capacities in public life.
He was elected president of the Chamber of Com-
merce in 1918, serving as chief executive of this
organization for two years. He has served as a
member of its board of directors and its various
committees at different times since 1902, and re-
cently rendered valuable service as a member of
the transportation and bridge committees of the



248



ESSEX COUNTY



Chamber. Under the old form of govei-nment, Mr.
Kelly was alderman in 1886 for a term of one
year, and subsequently served as councilman for
two temis. He was also a member of the Board
of Water Commissioners when that department
was first taken over by the city. He is a direc-
tor of the Haverhill National Bank, and a trus-
tee of the Haverhill Savings Bank. During the
World War period, 1917-18, he acted as chair-
man of the finance committee of the Haverhill
chapter of the Red Cross, and aided in all foi-ms
of war work possible. Politically holding inde-
pendent convictions, he has bi-ought to those pub-
lic offices to wMch he has been called the im-
partial spirit v/hich counts for the public good
rather than for any party advantage. His more
personal interests include membership in all the
Masonic bodies of Haverhill, in the Pawtucket
Club and the Rotary Club. He is a member of
the Universalist church, of Haverhill, and very
active in its work, being trustee of the Boys'
Club of the church.

On July 12, 1922, Governor Channing Co.x ap-
pointed Edmund C. \Ventv>'orth and Charles N.
Kelly as members of the special commission to
have charge of the consti'uction of the new Haver-
hill bridge. Under the act of the Legislature, two
citizens of Essex county were to be named by
the governor to serve with the members of the
county commission as a special bridge commission.
The bill did not stipulate that the cppoinleas
should be residents of Haverhill, although bot'i
are.

Mr. Kelly married, in 1900, in Dover, New
Hampshire, Lydia Abie Laskey, daughter of

Lewis B. and (Tuttle) Laskey, of Dover.

Mr. and Mrs. Kelly are the parents of six chil-
dren: Natenis, John A., Ruth, George, Barbara
and Jeanette. The family home is in Ipswich.



DR. ALFRED PRESTON BOWEN, one of
Lynn's leading physicians, was born in that city,
Api-il 21, 1877, and is a son of Joseph Herbert
and Ca)'oline Ray (Browne) Bowcn. The doc-
tor's father was bom in Lynn, and his mother in
Peabody. Both died in Lynn, in 1902.

Receiving his early education in the public
schools of Ljoin, Dr. Bowen, as a young man,
was graduated from the English High School,
then pursued his professional studies at Harvard
University, from which he was graduated in the
class of 1899. Dr. Bowen is one of the eighteen
original members who organized the Lynn Hos-
pital, and is still connected with that institution.
He has built up an extensive general practice in
the city and vicinity.



ERNEST G. IVIITCHELL, formeriy president
of the State National Bank of Lynn, Massachu-
setts, v/as bom in that city July 2G, 1881. son of
Eben A. and Annie J. (Philips) Mitchell. He
was educated in the public schools, and the Hoyt
School, and his first occupation in the business
world was as a clerk in the National Sectiritv



Bank, now the Security Trust Company, remain-
ing there for sixteen years, and during the last
seven years of this period was manager of the
branch of the Security Trust Company at West
Lynn. IVIr. Mitchell was next associated with the
State National Bank, as cashier, and on June 1,
1918, was appointed treasurer of this institution,
of wliich later he was president, being appointed
January 11, 1921. This institution is now out of
business.

Mr. Mitchell is very active fraternally, and is a
member of the lodge, chapter, council and com-
mandeiy of the Masonic order; Scottish Rite;
Lodge of Perfection; Princes of Jerusalem; Rose
Croi.x; Massachusetts Consistory; and Aleppo
Temple. His clubs are: Oxford Club; Homestead
Goli Club; Tedesco Club, and the Pen Dragon
Club.

Mr. Mitchell man-ied, April 30, 1904, Elizabeth
Victoria Carter Ritchy, daughter of Harry and
Helena (Carter) Ritchy, and they are the par-
ents of a son, Stuart, born March 30, 1906, and
a daughter, Dorothy E., born May 10, 1910. With
his family, Mr. Mitchell attends the Unitarian
church.



OSCAR A. MARTIN, manufacturer, head of the
O. A. Martin Wood Heel Company, of Haverhill,
Massachusetts, and treasurer of the shoe manu-
facturing firm of Martin & Daurier, was born in
Salem, New Hampshire, July 16, 1862, the son
of Nehemiah and Gustie (Davis) Martin. His
father, who died in 1909 at Haverhill, was for the
greater part of his life connected with the lumber
industry of New Hampshire and Maine, and the
Davis family, from which his mother came, was
of Nottingham, New Hampshire.

Oscar A. Martin was not far advanced in boy-
hood when the family came to Haverhill, so liis
schooling, in consequence, was obtained in the
public schools of Salem and Haverhill. He closed
his school days in the latter place, then began to
work for Goodrich & Porter, of Haverhill. He
remained in their employ for eight years, and for
ten years, thereafter, was agent for the Ross
Heel Company. At the end of that time he de-
cided to enter into business for himself, seeing
an opportunity in the manufacture of wood heels
for the Massachusetts shoe industry. He estab-
lished the O. A. Martin Wood Heel Company, of
Haverhill, and opened a manufacturing plant at
No. 22 Wasliington street. In the course of time,
expansion of his business made it necessary for
him to open another factory, which he did, at
Georgetown. His present plant is in the new
Schmidt building, on Washington street, Haverhill,
where he has capacity for the manufacture of 2,400
dozen wood heels a day. Mr. Martin is also one
of the principals of a shoe manufacturing busi-
ness, that of Martin & Daurier, makers of high-
grade ladies' shoes; he is treasurer of that com-
pany, the factory of which is situated at No. 60
Wingate street, Haverhill.

Fraternally, he is a member of the Junior



BIOGRAPHICAL



249



Order United American Mechanics; socially, be be-
longs to the Pentucket Club, and religiously he is
an Episcopalian, a member of Grace Church.

Mr. Martin married, in 1882, Mary Sanderson,
daughter of George \V. and Abigail (Warner) San-
derson. Her father, a clergyman, was pastor of .1
Dover, New Hampshire church, and that was the
home town of the mother and their daughter.
Mrs. Martin. Later, the Rev. Sanderson was for
many years at Watertown.



JOHN REILLEY HAVERTY is one of the

steadily advancing lawyers of the younger set of
Lawrence, Massachusetts. His gi-owing- success in
his chosen profession occassions no surprise with
those who know his sterling character and re-
markable .powers. His cleverness and wit, his skill
in argument, the tenacity with which he holds
fast to a stand he has taken, his thorough ground-
ing in the law, with his sti-ict integi'ity and loyalty
to client and friend, make him of the highest type
in the legal profession, and only the future years
can tell how far and fast he will travel along
the road he has chosen.

Patrick G. Haverty, father of John R. Haverty,
was a native of Andover, Massachusetts, having
first seen the light of day there in 1859. He early
removed to Lawrence, Massachusetts, where for
more than a third of a century he was a master



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 2 of 56)