Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 20 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 20 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

mother was born in Wales. Mr. and Mrs. Boland have
one daughter, Mary V. Boland, who was born in 1920;
she is named after her maternal grandmother.

rence, and they have three children : Gertrude H.,
who married Perley Prescott, of Methuen, and has one
child Arlene ; Mabel A., who married George C. Martin,
of Lawrence; and Herbert, who is now in business with
his father.

HENRY C. GEBELEIN— The business of H. C.
Gebelein & Son, plumbers and steam fitters, of Lawrence,
Massachusetts, has been long established. Henry C.
Gebelein is widely known in Lawrence, and has shown a
helpful interest in public affairs.

Mr. Gebelein was born in Bavaria, Germany, on No-
vember 3, 1866, son of George and Marguerite (Benker)
Gebelein. The father died in 1889, and the mother in
1895. They were the parents of seven children, four sons
and three daughters, Henry C. being the third child. The
latter was fifteen years old when he came to America,
joining a brother already located in Somerville, Massa-
chusetts. His schooling was obtained principally in
Germany, and after coming to this country he attended
night school to master the English language. After set-
tling in Boston, Massachusetts, he found work with the
Aiken Company. Later he was employed by Block
Brothers, at Harvard Square, but in 1887 he came to
Lawrence. Massachusetts, and became connected with
John F. Bingham. Later he worked for T. P. Smart,
remaining in his employ for fifteen years, until 1904, when
he decided to enter into business for himself, in plumbing,
steam fitting, heating and kindred lines. He first located
at No. 666 Broadway, a year later removHng to No. 35
Newberry street, which has ever since been his place of
business. The firm of H. C. Gebelein & Son has a good
reputation in the Lawrence district, its work being relia-

At one time Mr. Gebelein took active part in civic
afTairs. He was for two years, 1906 and 1907, a Demo-
cratic member of the City Council, and in other ways
was energetic in affairs of the place. He is a member
of the Loyal Order of Moose, the German Sick Benevo-
lent societies, the Schiller-Friehart Lodge, the Bavarian
Reading and Progressive Society, and Central Hall.

Mr. Gebelein married, in 1889, Lena Hebsch, of Law-


Lynn, Massachusetts, and has spent practically his whole
life in the city, and while he has been connected with the
paper-box manufacturing industry ever since leaving
school, he has only been in business for himself for about
two years ; nevertheless, he is now at the head of a busi-
ness which finds constant employment for about thirty-
five people of Lynn.

Charles L. Weston was born on October 4, 1888, son
of Charles Oliver and Lalia (Bohaker) Weston. Both
of his parents are still living, his father being a native
of Lynn, and his mother of Nova Scotia. His father
has been responsibly connected with the Massachusetts
shoe industry for the greater part of his life.

Mr. Weston was educated in the public schools of his
native place, passing eventually through the Lynn High
School. After graduating therefrom, he took a com-
mercial course at the Burdette Business College, Boston.
His first employers were Littlefield & Moulton, makers
of paper boxes. With that firm he remained for four-
teen years, during which time he gained comprehensive
knowledge of the paper business. Latterly, he had charge
of the company's paper room. He severed his connection
with Littlefield & Moulton in December, 1919, and im-
mediately thereafter he opened in business for himself, in
the same line, establishing the Lynn Paper Box Com-
pany. His place of business was at No. 503 Eastern
avenue, Lynn, his plant at the outset finding barely
enough work to keep three men busy, but it now finds
steady employment for thirty-five people. Enlargement
after enlargement has been necessary, and now the com-
pany uses the whole of the available 5,000 feet of floor
space. Mr. Weston is an expert in paper boxes, and
quality and good workmanship are in his estimation the
first essentials of a healthy business. His business has
consequently expanded well during the short time he has
directed its operations. Mr. Weston is a member of the
local Blue Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, and of the
Swampscott Masonic Gub.

Mr. Weston married, in 191 1, Bertha May Gourley, of
Lynn, daughter of Prescott and Arphia Gourley, of Nova
Scotia. They have two children : Prescott Lester, born
in 1912; and Roger Oliver, born in 1918.

LOUIS H. McALOON— As a contractor and
builder, Louis H. McAIoon of North Andover, Massa-
chusetts, has developed a business which reaches into
various cities and towns of Essex county. His life-
story is of interest in this connection. He was born in
Lawrence, Massachusetts, March 8, 1875, and is a son
of Owen and Margaret (Daw) McAloon. Owen Mc-
AIoon was born in Ireland, and came to America in his
youth. He located in Lawrence, and became a prominent
painting contractor there. The mother was from North

Attending the public schools of Lawrence until he was
fifteen years of age, Louis H. McAloon came to North
Andover in 1890, and here learned the carpenter's trade.



He early began taking building contracts on his own
responsibility, and has made a noteworthy success in this
branch of business activity. Factories, public buildings,
residences, and particularly country homes, are all in-
cluded in the range of work he handles. In 1916 he
built the Essex County Agricultural School ; and other
school buildings, including the Edwards School, in Bev-
erly, the John Breen School and the Oliver School, in
Lawrence, and the Essex County Training School, the
elementary school in that city. One of the public build-
ings in North Andover which he built is the North
Andover Fire Station. For the past eight years Mr. Mc-
Aloon has been an engineer of the North Andover Fire
Department, and from 1915 to 1920, was chief of the
fire department. During his tenure of this office, he
installed complete motor equipment. Mr. McAloon has
always been active in public affairs, always working for
the permanent good and constant progress of the com-

In 1903 Mr. McAIoon married Hannah Sullivan,
daughter of Timothy Sullivan, of North Andover, and
they have six children : Gertrude, Louis, Jr., Eileen, Wil-
liam, Mary and Vincent.

LEON O. ROSS— One of the most hustling and up-
to-date leaders of the younger business generation of
Haverhill, Massachusetts, is Leon O. Ross, who in 1921
was engaged in manufacturing modern heels for shoes.
His grandfather, James Cranshaw, a Massachusetts man,
was a veteran of the Civil War. He served in the Mas-
sachusetts Cavalry Troop all through the years of strife,
although at one time he was severely wounded. His
father, Charles O. Ross, a native of Newburyport, bom
in 1863, was one of the leading contractors and builders
in Haverhill.

Leon O. Ross was bom in Haverhill, Massachusetts,
May II, 1886. His education began in the public schools
and after completing the grammar grades he attended
Haverhill High School, graduating in 1906. Forseeing
his tastes in business and wishing to secure a proper edu-
cation for the satisfying of them, he spent two years
of study in the Haverhill Business College faking a com-
mercial course. Soon after leaving business college he
joined his father in the contracting and building trade in
Haverhill, under the firm name of Charles O. Ross &
Sons, contractors and builders. During the five years
he remained in this firm he saw many of Haverhill's
homes and business buildings erected, and is justly proud
of his share in their construction. In 1913 he reached
out after something more individual and, associating
himself with Sidney C. Baker, became an important
manufacturer of wooden heels. In the Wood Heel Man-
ufacturers' Association to which he belongs, he is on the
membership committee which passes on all applicants for
admittance to that body. Politically he holds to Repub-
lican principles and policies. He is one of the Haverhill
Chamber of Commerce which has aided so much in the
progress of that city, and is an active attendant of the
services of the Congregational church.

Andover Steam Laundry, and treasurer of the Welch
Company, Inc., holds a position of well-deserved promi-
nence among the business men of Andover.

Mr. Rand was born at North Andover, Massachusetts,
November 24. 1884, son of Joseph A, Rand, of New
Hampshire, during his active life an overseer in the
mills there, and Jennie (Craig) Rand, of Andover.

Mr. Rand's education was obtained in the public
schools, and his first position in business was as a clerk
in a meat and provision store. After four years he
worked for another firm along the same line and then
spent six years as a private chauffeur. Removing to
Pittsfield, Massachusetts, Mr. Rand returned to his
original occupation, except that he engaged in business
for himself, but after two and one-half years he returned
to Andover and there purchased the ownership and sole
interests of the Andover Steam Laundry Company,
which he has successfully managed to the present time.

Mr. Rand is one of the public-spirited men of Andover
and is keenly interested in all that pertains to the gen-
eral welfare.

Mr. Rand is a member of the Andover Club ; St.
Matthew's Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons ; Massa-
chusetts Consistory ; Aleppo Temple, Ancient Arabic
Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; and Andover Lodge,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

On April 14, 1914, Mr. Rand married Nellie F. Flint,
of Andover, and they are the parents of two sons : John
Appleton, born in 1915; and Abbott Flint, torn in 19:8.
With his family he attends and aids in the support of
the Episcopal church of Andover.

JOSEPH A. RAND— When a man attains success
early in life it proves that the qualities of ambition and
ability are well blended in his character. Although not
yet forty years of age, Joseph A. Rand, owner of the

WILBUR L. SENECHAI^Well known in Ames-
bury, where he has been in independent business since
1914, Wilbur L. Senechal, electrical contractor, has
found employment in Amesbury ever since he left school.

He was born in Augusta, Maine, October 11, 1883, son
of Louis and Mary (Carons) Senechal. He comes of
a French family, which in later generations became
French-Canadian. His father, Louis Senechal, was born
in Fraserville, Canada, but eventually came into the
United States. He was a mill operative for the greater
part of his life. The mother of Mr. Senechal of Ames-
bury was also of Canadian birth, torn in St. Josephs.

Wilbur L. Senechal was educated in the public schools
of Augusta and Lewiston, Maine, and took a collegiate
course at the St. Joseph's Institute, Troy, New York.
His first employers were the Gray & Davis Company, of
Amesbury, Massachusetts, with which company he re-
mained for four years. For six years thereafter, he was
an employee of the Walker-Wells Company, of Ames-
bury, leaving their employ to enter into business for him-
self in Amesbury, as an electrical contractor. That was
in 1914, and since that year he has had quite a satisfac-
tory business, and soon became well established. Need-
less to say he is well known in the vicinity of Amesbury.
Fraternally he belongs to the St. Jean de Baptist organ-
ization. He is also a member of the Lafayette Natural-
ization Club, and, being a Catholic, he is a helpful mem-
ber of the Sacred Heart Church of Amesbury.

In 1912, Mr. Senechal married Aurora Plante, who
was born in Amesbury in 1884, but whose descent is also
French-Canadian. Her father, Fabian Plante, was born
in Montreal, Canada; her mother, Amanda (Quay)



Plante in Quebec, Canada. Mr. Plante was a wood-
worker and died in igii. Mr. and Mrs. Senechal have
six children : Louis Wilbur, Raymond Wilbur, Leo Hec-
tor, .'Mbert Joseph, Robert Alphonse and Irene Frances.

JOSEPH SHERLOCK, one of the representative
business men of Methuen, Massachusetts, is a native of
Chester, England. He was born at Dukinfield, October
21, 1880, the son of William Sherlock, a wool-comber,
and Elizabeth (Mannifield) Sherlock, both natives of
England. They came to .America with their family in
1884 and located in Lawrence, where the father was
employed in the mills until about the time of his death,
which occurred in January, 1921.

Mr. Sherlock attended the public schools of Lawrence,
Massachusetts, and at an early age went to work in the
worsted mills in Lawrence. He spent some time in all
of the departments, from carding to spinning, and mas-
tered each detail as he went along.

In 1900 Mr. Sherlock learned the trade of operating
the machines used in the manufacture of clothing at the
plant of the Methuen Napper Clothing Company, then
owned by Edward Whittaker. After three or four years
he became foreman and continued in that position until
the death of Mr. Whittaker in 1913, when he became
manager of the business and two years later he bought
it. The product goes to all mills manufacturing napped
fabrics, such as cotton flannels, blankets, and coatings.

Mr. Sherlock is a Republican, and although not an
office seeker, takes a keen interest in the welfare of
Methuen. He has many fraternal connections, being a
member of John Hancock Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons of Methuen, of which he is past master, and he
is now (1922) president of the Past Masters' Association
of the Eleventh Masonic District ; member of Mt. Sinai
Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, of Lawrence; Lawrence
Council, Royal and Select Masters; Bethany Command-
ery, Knights Templar ; Massachusetts Consistory, of
Boston ; and Aleppo Temple, Ancient Arabic Order
Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of
Hope Lodge. Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of
Methuen. His clubs are the Methuen, and the Merrimac
Valley Country.

Mr. Sherlock married, March 29, 1905. Elizabeth A.
Whittaker, daughter of Edward and Eliza (Knowles)
Whittaker. Mrs. Sherlock was born in Germany, April
2, 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Sherlock are the parents of the
following children : Joseph W., born August 23, 1906 ;
Howard W., born July 12, 1912; Dorothy E., born Octo-
ber 6, 1914; and Donald E., born May 17, 1917. The
family attend and aid in the support of the Congrega-
tional church of Methuen,

HARRY W. STEERE^— The Steere family is well
known in Amesbury. Harry W. Steere, who for more
than twenty years has been connected with the Charles
Wing Company, was born in the place, and his father
has spent most of his business life in .\mesbury.
I Harry W. Steere was born July 8, 1876, and received

■ the greater part of his academic education in Amesbury
public schools, attending the high school eventually.
Later, he was a student at the Mitchell's Boys' School at
Billerica, Massachusetts. His parents, Marquis D. F.
and Anna E. (Wing) S'eere, have been well regarded

Ainesbury residents for very many years. The mother
was born in Uxbridge, Massachusetts, but the father was
born in Pascoag, Rhode Island. For the greater part of
his life he was agent in Amesbury for the Hamilton
Mills Company, and they reared their children in Ames-
bury. Their son, Harry W., after leaving school entered
the employ of the Charles Wing Company of -Amesbury,
the ow^ners of which company were members of his
mother's family. He has ever since been loyal to them,
and for the greater part of his connection with them has
been in responsible office. At present he is secretary of
the corporation, and one of the department heads.

Mr. Steere has manifested almost equal constancy in
his public service. For twenty-eight years he has been
actively connected with the fire department of Amesbury,
and for the last eighteen years has been its assistant
chief. Politically, he is a Republican, and fraternally
is a Mason, member of the Warren and Powow River
lodges of that order. He is a member of the Orthodox
church of Amesbury. In his life record is one term of
military service ; for one enlistment period he was a
luember of Company B, Eighth Regiment, Massachu-
setts State Militia.

Mr. Steere was married, in 1902, to Maria C. Peter-
son, of Swedish birth, born in 1875. They have five
children: Harry W., Jr., Carl W., Anna L., Edith R.
and Syrama S.

BERNARD A. McLEAN— Although he has only
been in Amesbury for a few years, Bernard A. McLean
has gone ahead among the capable business men of the
place. He is manager of a very busy store and a director
of the local chamber of commerce.

Bernard A. McLean was born in Everett, Massachu-
setts, September 9, 1888, son of Frank A. and Annie
(Hanley) McLean, who were both born in Sidney, Cape
Breton, Canada, the father, Christmas Day, 1866, and
the mother, March 27, 1868. The family later came into
Massachusetts, and for many years Frank A. McLean
was engaged in the contracting business in Maiden, of
that State. His business, however, was in many other
cities also, and Bernard A., born in Everett, spent part
of his boyhood in Charlestown, Massachusetts. \t dif-
ferent times he attended the public schools of both
places. When his schooldays were finally at an end he
found his first employment with the Loose Wiles Biscuit
Company, at Chelsea, Massachusetts, working for the
greater part of the time as shipping clerk. He was,
however, an enterprising young man of good address and
much confidence, and for si.x years after leaving the bis-
cuit company was a salesman for the Lorillard Tobacco
Company, leaving that work eventually to accept the
management of the Chelsea business of the Charles Dryer
Company of that place. Three years later he became
connected with the nationally-known Frank W. Wool-
worth Company. He was sent to Amesbury in 1918. and
since that time has been manager of the Amesbury store
of the Woolworth Company. The multitudinous variety
and the great volume of sales, that must necessarily come
to bring success in a business of that class, call for man-
aging qualities of high order. Such qualities Mr. McLean
obviously must possess.

While giving every required attention to his own busi-
ness responsibilities, Mr. McLean is quite active in the



functioning of the Amesbury Chamber of Commerce, and
is rapidly increasing his acquaintanceship with the busi-
ness people of the place. In ijolitics he is non-partisan,
and seems to belong to no fraternal orders. However,
he is a consistent Catholic, and a member of St. Joseph's
Catholic Church of Amesbury.

Mr. Mcl^ean was married, in 1908, to Susan Mildred
McHatton, who was born in Chelsea, Massachusetts,
February 22, 1888. They have four children : Charles
B., born October 9, 1909; Leo F., born June 7, 1913;
Bernardette, born July 8, 1917; and Helen Reta, born
March 8, 1919.

In 1903 Mr. Peltier was married to Cora Eva Herbert,
who was born in Amesbury, October 25, 1883. They
have si.x children : Mildred M., Dorothy H., Arline Rose,
Roland, Norman and Lucille.

ARTHUR J. PELTIER— One of the largest and
most up-to-date grocery and provision markets in the
Amesbury district is that of Arthur J. Peltier. The
name is well known in that town, for Mr. Peltier has
been connected with business there, in one connection or
another, almost since he left school, and his father was
for very many years in business in Amesbury, as a
grocery and provision merchant.

Arthur J. Peltier was born in Holyoke, Massachusetts,
December S. 1882, son of Simeon and Caroline (Hill)
Peltier. Both of his parents were born in Canada, and
his paternal descent is French-Canadian. His father was
born October 5, 1858, and with his wife eventually came
into the United States, ultimately settling in Amesbury,
where his wife died in igo8. Their son, Arthur J., was
in infancy when the family came to Amesbury, and the
whole of his schooling was obtained in St. Joseph's
Parochial School of Amesbury. After leaving school he
began his business career by associating with his father
for five years in the latter's grocery and provision busi-
ness in Amesbury. At the end of that time he felt that
he was capable of entering into business for himself in
the same line. For two years he maintained a store of
his own, but gave it up when he felt that there would be
better results accruing from time given to another line.
He became connected with the Scott Grain Company of
Amesbury, but a year later was identified with the
Healey Laundry Company. Within a year he was with
the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, and actively
followed the life insurance business for two and a half
years. Next he was in the employ of Ernest Woodman,
meat and provision merchant, the connection lasting
about a year. Then followed a brief period of inde-
pendent business, in confectionery, but he gave that up to
work for Burbank's Market. He was with that firm for
two and a half years, which brings his life story to 1913,
when he again ventured into business for himself in his
original line, groceries and provisions. Ever since he
has conducted that business, which has, since 1913,
grown to considerable dimensions. He now employs five
assistants in his market, and is stated to have the best
business in that line in Amesbury. Mr. Peltier has cer-
tainly shown himself to be a man of versatility, and has
finally reached good success.

He is a member and director of the Amesbury Cham-
ber of Commerce, is a Republican in politics, belongs to
the Lafayette Club of Amesbury, and to the following
named fraternal orders : St. Jean de Baptist, Ancient
Order of United Workmen and Knights of Columbus, of
Amesbury. He is a member of the Sacred Heart Cath-
olic Church of Amesbury.

and respected chief of police of Amesbury, was born in
Brovvnville, Maine, October 5, 1865, son of William S.
and Mary Elizabeth (Hobbs) Rogers, both of whom
were natives of Brownville, Maine, the former born there
in 1828, and the latter in 1837. William S. Rogers, Sr.,
died in 1902, but his widow is still living, being now
(1921) eighty-four years old. Her husband, in civil life,
was a mason by trade, but he had a fine Civil War
record, being a veteran of that war. He served for three
years with the First Maine Cavalry, being a private of
Company B. Later he was a member of the Grand Army
of the Republic, registered in the Milo, Maine, post.

William S. Rogers, the son, was educated in the public
schools of Brownville, Maine, passing eventually
through the high school. For fifteen years thereafter he
remained near home, engaging in farming and lumbering.
But at the end of that period he came to Boston, and for
the next twelve months was in the employ of the Hough-
ton & Dutton Company. Coming to Amesbury, he next
served the Boston & Maine Railroad Company for six
years, residing in Amesbury. Then followed a period
of service to local carriage builders. In 1903, however,
Rogers became a member of the police force of Ames-
bury. Four years later, he resigned from the Amesbury
force to accept appointment as chief of police in Salis-
bury, Massachusetts. A year later he returned to
Amesbury and resumed his connection with the local
police force. For eight years he did regular duty as
patrolman, and in 1016 became chief of police. He has
since held that office, to his credit, the police force having
become an efficient body under his direction. Politically,
Chief of Police Rogers is a Republican; fraternally he
belongs to the Elks, of Newburyport, and to the ."Ancient
Order of United Workmen. He is a member of the
Universalis! church of .Amesbury.

He has been married twice. In 1899 he was married
to Margaret Lynch, of Amesbury, Massachusetts. She
died in 1906, and three years later Mr. Rogers married
Josie Lynch, also of Amesbury. Two children were born
to the first wife: Bernice M. and William S. To his
second wife, six children have been txjrn : Gilbert, Paul-
ine A., Russell R., Frank A., Virginia M. and Elinore A.

VAUGHN ULMONT AIKEN, milk dealer of Mer-
rimac, Massachusetts, was born in Barnstead, New
Hampshire, October 4, 1893, son of David L. and Annie
(Francis) Aiken, both of New Hamp.shire families, the
former of Barnstead and the latter of Concord, later of
Merrimac, Massachusetts. David L. Aiken followed
carpentry for the greater part of his adult years. The
family home was in Barnstead, New Hampshire, and
there the son, Vaughn U., went to school. He passed
through the public schools, and for some years there-

Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 20 of 56)