Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 23 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 23 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Free and Accepted Masons; he attends Christ Episcopal
Church, of Andover.



THERON ETHELBERT LARRABEE— A man

t)r company having a business wajits others to know
what that business is and who owns it. His most direct
way to tell this is by a sign that can not be overlooked
and which says the most in the least space. Theron
Etiielbert Larrabee when a youth recognized this need
and thoroughly prepared himself to meet and satisfy it.
He is a sign designer and sole owner of the Haverhill
(Massachusetts) Sign Company, a concern that has been
well and favorably known throughout the city and out-
lying districts for more than forty years.

His father, Charles Theodore Larrabee, was a native
of Ayers Village, Massachusetts, born January 25, 1870,
and his mother, Cora Francis (Young) Larrabee, came
from Manchester, New Hampshire.

Theron Ethelbert Larrabee began his life in Brad-
ford, Massachusetts, April 4, 1894. To the public
schools he went first, completing all they could give him
up through the third year in high school, when it seemed
best to go at once to a technical college. He therefore
went to Lawrence Institute and later to Wentworth
Institute, in both of which he specialized in machine
drafting, showing marked ability and advancing with
great speed. Returning to Haverhill, he secured a posi-
tion with the Haverhill Sign Company, which has been
in existence for two decades; with the progressiveness
that is noteworthy of Mr. Larrabee he sought to control
the concern and purchased it August i, 1920. Under
his able leadership the business has grown rapidly and
is in a position to take care of all demands for com-
mercial signs. It is also taking up the making of elec-
tric signs so that in a few years there will be little in its
line that the company can not do. It has not confined its
trade to the city, but has built up a large business at the
beaches. The firm is located at No. 11 Merrimac street,
Haverhill. Mr. Larrabee belongs to the city Chamber
of Commerce, and also to Passaquoi Tribe, Improved
Order of Red Men. He is an interested attendant and
member of the First Church of Christ (Scientist). His
home is made in Bradford.

Mr. Larrabee married, in Haverhill, June 19, 1916,
Lida Frances Yeaton, a native of Haverhill. She is the
daughter of William J. Yeaton, born in New Hamp-
shire, who followed the shoe trade in the city for some
years, and of Nellie (Raymond) Yeaton. Of this union
there are two children: Virginia May, born in May,
1918; and Richard Theron, born in June, 1920.



FREDERICK HAMBLETON— For many years a
prominent and leading citizen of Lawrence, Massachu-
setts, taking an active part in the business world, Fred-
erick Hambleton now holds the position of general
superintendent of the United States Bobbin and Shuttle
Company of that city.

Mr. Hambleton was born January 5, 1875, at Derby-
shire, England, son of David Hambleton, of England,



BIOGRAPHICAL



375



long engaged in the bobbin business there, where he died
in 1913. His wife, Sarah Ann (.Wells) Hanibleton, died
in 1888.

The education of Mr. Hanibleton was obtained in
the public schools of Lachute, Canada, and at an early
age started to learn the trade of machinist, in the employ
of the George W. David Company, of Nashua, New
Hampshire. .At the end of three years he removed to
Merrimack, New Hampshire, and there engaged in the
bdbbin and shuttle business on his own account, subse-
quently admitting his brother as a partner, the business
being carried on under the firm name of the Hambleton
Brothers Company. For a period of twenty years this
partnership continued and a very successful business
was built up; in 1919 an opportunity came to dispose of
their interests to the firm now employing Mr. Hamble-
ton, and in 1919 he assumed his present position at
Lawrence.

Mr. Hambleton is a member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, and the Masonic order, including both
the York and the Scottish Rites; also is a member of the
New England Order of Protection; the Eastern Star;
and the Rebekalis. In politics he is a Republican.

Mr. Hambleton married (first), in 1897, Annie C.
Smith, born at New Brunswick, Canada, and she died in
igi2. He married (second) Helen V. Guild, of Derry,
New Hampshire, in 1921. By his first marriage Mr.
Hambleton is the father of Gertrude L. Hambleton, a
graduate of Simmons College, in the class of 1919, now
engaged in secretarial work at the Young Women's
Christian Association at Montreal, Canada; Herbert L.,
a graduate of Brown University, in the class of 1921;
and Vera E., now attending Laselle Seminary, at
Auburndale, Massachusetts. Mr. Hambleton and the
members of his family attend the Lawrence Episcopal
church.



GEORGE RICHARDSON, general superintendent
of the Kimhardt Mills Company, of Lawrence, Massa-
chusetts, was born in Galashiels, Scotland, January 22,
1871, and there attended school. At a very early age he
started to work in the textile mills of his native land,
and in 1898, the year he came to America, he had ac-
quired a very extensive knowledge of his occupation.
Soon after settling in Lawrence, Massachusetts, Mr.
Richardson obtained employment with the Kunhardt
Mills Company in their designing department; there his
skill was noticed and appreciated to the extent that he
was made superintendent of that department, and this
position he continued to fill in a most able manner until
1917, in which year he was appointed general superin-
tendent of the mills. Mr. Richardson is one of the fore-
most men in textile lines in Essex county, and he has
also been elected a member of the board of directors of
the mills. In politics he is a Republican, and is inter-
ested in all civic matters in Lawrence. He is a member
of the Caledonian Club of that city.

Mr. Richardson married, in 1899, Ellen McGhee, of
Galashiels, born there in 1876, and their children are:
I. Harold Lawrence, born February 14, 1900; he served
in the United States Army during the World War, with
the air force, and was discharged in 1919. 2. Percy
Laurie, who was born February 18, 1904. 3. Donald
P., who was born in December, 191 1.



JOHN P. GILMORE, one of the most progressive

and public-spirited citizens of Lawrence, Massachusetts,
and an overseer of the Katama Mills of that city, was
born at New Bedford, Massachusetts, August 26, 1878,
the son of William Gilmore, a farmer and native of
County Sligo, Ireland, and Anne (McQuillan) Gilmore.

Mr. Gilmore was educated in the public scliools of
New Bedford, and soon after leaving school, went to
work in the mill of the City Manufacturing Company,
starting as a sweeper, and by diligent and painstaking
work, passed through the various positions to that of
second hand. With his experience thus gained, Mr. Gil-
more removed to Pawtucket, Rhode Island, and was
located there for two years, engaged in mill work. At
the end of this time he returned to New Bedford, where
he remained until 1915, in the employ of the New Eng-
land Cotton Company, and in the latter year held the
position of overseer. A year later he came to Lawrence,
and there obtained a similar position with the Katama
Mills, one of the largest industries of that city, and has
now under his supervision about 190 employees.

In the civic matters of Lawrence Mr. Gilmore has
more than a passing interest, and any movement for the
general welfare of the city always receives his loyal
support His fraternal connection is with the Benevo-
lent and Protective Order of Elks.

Mr. Gilmore married, in 1910, Helen Murry, of New
Bedford, and they are the parents of a son, John J. Gil-
more, Jr., born in 1913, and of a daughter, Dorothy,
born in 1916. Mr. and Mrs. Gilmore and their children
attend St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church of Law-
rence.



FRANK KILBORN, one of the leading men in in-
dustrial lines in Lawrence, Massachusetts, was born at
Orleans, Vermont, June 4, i860, son of Alonzo A. Kil-
born, a native of Quebec, Canada, and for many years
a contractor and builder. He died in 1916, and his wife,
Eliza (Tilton) Kilborn, also a native of Canada, sur-
vived him four years.

Mr. Kilborn was educated in the public schools and
then attended evening school for a term, during which
time he was employed at Framingham, Massachusetts,
and three years later he came to Lawrence, Massachu-
setts, where he entered the employ of the Lawrence
Machine Company in the pattern-making department.
He worked as a journeyman for eight years and then
was made foreman of this department, holding this posi-
tion until 1909, when a new company was organized and
Mr. Kilborn was appointed to the office of superintend-
ent and manager. Mr. Kilborn has continued in these
positions to the present time, and is well known among
the foremost citizens of Lawrence. He is a member
of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Encampment.

Mr. Kilborn married, in 1886, Ella Powell, of Ver-
mont, and they are the parents of one son, Clarence
Powell Kilborn, bom in 1888. Mr. Kilborn and his
family are members of the Universalist church.



JAMES LEE POTTER— As general manager of
the Newburyport (Massachusetts) Electric and Gas Com-
pany, J. Lee Potter is bearing a part in the progress and
welfare of the city. He was born in South Gardiner,



376



ESSEX COUNTY



Maine, October 15, 1889, and is a son of James Edwin
and Henriette Potter. Receiving a thoroughly practical
education in the public and high schools of his native
town, he became operator in the electrical station at
Greenfield, Massachusetts, learning the business. He
continued there for six years, then was transferred to
the Mount Tom junction at Holyoke, where he became
assistant engineer of electrical work at a new plant then
in process of construction, remaining for four years.
He then returned to Greenfield, to the commercial
department of his former employers, two years later
becoming associated with the Amherst (Massachusetts)
Gas Company, as superintendent. There, however, he
remained for only six months, and his next step was
to Newburyport, where he assumed the responsibilities
of his present position.

Mr. Potter is a member of the Free and Accepted
Masons, and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
He attends the Congregational church.

On September 8, 1916, Mr. Potter married Bessie
Gertrude Thayer, daughter of Edward C. Thayer, and
they have one son, James Russell, born October 19,
1918.



LEON F. RAINVILLE, JR.— Holding quite an im-
portant position for a man so young, Leon F. Rainville,
Jr., manager in the Lawrence district for the motor
transportation firm of Youlden, Smith & Hopkins, gives
definite indication that he will succeed in life.

Mr. Rainville was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts,
on December 10, 1899, son of Leon F. and Josephine
(Poirier) Rainville. His father was born in Lawrence,
but his mother is a native of Taftsville, Connecticut.
They are both living (1922) and his father is still
actively engaged in business. Leon F., Jr. is the third
of the six children born to his parents, there being
four sons and two daughters. The family are Catholics,
and attend the Sacred Heart Church of Lawrence.

Leon F. Rainville, Jr., was educated in the public
schools of his native place, graduating in 191 5 from the
high school. He began his business life by working in
a shoe store, that of C. J. Tetreau, of Lawrence. There
he remained until the National call came after the en-
trance of the nation into the World War. Leon F., Jr.,
enlisted voluntarily on December 10, 1917, choosing what
was probably the most dangerous, yet the most glorious,
arm of the service — aviation. He was assigned to mili-
tary duty at Fort Slocum, and soon afterwards left for
Camp Di.x, New Jersey. Later he was transferred to
Kelly Field, Texas, the famous flying headquarters. He
then went to England for seven months, as a machine
gun instructor in the Air Service, and then was trans-
ferred to service in France, in the same line of duty, for
eleven months, until the armistice was signed. He was
honorably discharged from the United States army, in
March, 1919, at Camp Devens, and returned to Law-
rence. He quickly adjusted himself to civil life, and is
making good in business affairs.



May (Richmond) Little, who now reside in Plymouth,
England.

Mr. Little had attended the schools of England previ-
ous to coming to this country, and after locating in
Rockville, Connecticut, he took a special course in
mathematics, which completed his formal education.
After completing this course he went to work in the
designing room of the Hockanum Mills of Rockville, and
was employed there for eight years, gaining great
experience. Thence he removed to Warren, Massa-
chusetts, and was employed as a designer by the Sayles
& Jenks Company, and subsequently was promoted to
the oflSce of assistant superintendent. For seven and
one-half years he was with the latter firm and then
went to Indian Orchard, Massachusetts, in the interests
of the Rhode Island Worsted Company, as superintend-
ent, and held a similar position with the Waucantuck
Mills, at Uxbridge. In 1914 Mr. Little came to Law-
rence and assumed the position of agent of the Inter-
national Worsted Mills and has since continued in this
office. During his term of office the number of looms
in the mills has greatly increased, and there are 250
employees under his supervision.

Mr. Little served for five years in the Massachusetts
State Militia ; he is a member of Quaboag Lodge, Free
and Accepted Masons, of Warren, Massachusetts, of the
Foresters of America, and the Methuen Club.

He married, in 1895, Jennie Redmond, of England,
and they are the parents of two children : Arthur
Thomas, born in 1898; and Dorothy M., born in 1906.
With his family Mr. Little attends the Episcopal church
of Methuen, and he is also active in all the public
matters of the town.



SIDNEY H. LITTLE, agent of the International
Worsted Mills of Lawrence, Massachusetts, was born
September 17, 1872, at Wiltshire, England, and in 1888
came to the United States. He is the son of William
Little, a native of England, a skilled machinist, and



ARTHUR SMITH— It does not very often happen
that a man is especially skilled in more than one line,
and such a man proves himself to be possessed of more
than ordinary ability. Such is the case of Arthur Smith,
chief designer and overseer of finishing and shipping
of the Pemberton Mills of Lawrence. Mr. Smith is
acknowledged to be the foremost designer in this section
of the country, and he is also very widely known m
musical circles as a musician of considerable ability.

Mr. Smith was born January 31, 1880, at Bradford,
England, son of Obadiah S. Smith, a warehouse packer
by occupation, and Elizabeth (Hopkins) Smith, who
died in 1908. Both parents came to America and re-
sided in Methuen.

Arthur Smith was educated in the public schools of
England, and in 1893 came to the United States, where
he first obtained employment at the Arlington Mills at
Lawrence, first working in the weaving-room. He was
then with the Gaunt Mills in Methuen, later entering
the employ of the Pemberton Mills, as pattern weaver.

In order to obtain more instruction regarding the
theory of his work, Mr. Smith entered the Lowell Tex-
tile School, where he pursued studies for six years,
graduating with an average percentage of ninety-eight
and three-quarters per cent. His courses comprised
warp preparation, plain and fancy weaving, designing
(five courses), and textile costs. He then returned to
the Pemberton Mills as chief of the designing depart-
ment, and for the past three years he has also been
overseer of the finishing and shipping room, in addition



/■\.




BIOGRAPHICAL



377



to other duties. For seventeen years he has lield these
various positions and has achieved wide recognition for
his ability.

Outside of his business interests, Mr. Smith is much
interested in music and is an active worker in promot-
ing musical affairs for the general public. He is director
of the John Hancock Masonic Glee Club, of Methuen,
comprising thirty-five voices ; organist and choir direc-
tor of the Parker Street Methodist Episcopal Church,
of South Lawrence; and he is always called upon to
direct and instruct any of the local musical productions.
Mr. Smith is financial secretary of the American Ben-
efit Society; and is a member of John Hancock Lodge,
Free and Accepted Masons, of Methuen.

Mr. Smith married, in igoo, Martha A. Scholes,
daughter of John Scholes, a reed maker, and Susan
(Hughes) Scholes, both natives of England. Mr. and
Mrs. Smith are the parents of three children : Beatrice
M., born in 1903; Gertrude A., born in 1908; and Ruth
H., born in 1910. The family attend the Parker Street
Methodist Episcopal Church, at South Lawrence.



JOHN E. NOBLE was born June i, 1871, In Law-
rence, Massachusetts, and is one of those men who have
attained success in their business careers within the
confines of their native city. He is a son of James A.
Noble, who was a native of Maine, and a master
mechanic by occupation. He was the founder of the
Noble & Wood Machine Shop, of Hoosic Falls, New
York, manufacturers of paper mill machinery, and
actively engaged in business until a few years before
his death, which occurred in 1920, at the age of seventy-
three years and ten months, at St. Petersburg, Florida.
Mr. Noble was in the Civil War, serving four years,
nine months and eleven days under General Sheridan
for the most part, and he was wounded in the battle
of Cedar Creek, October 15, 1862. He enlisted in Com-
pany G, 30th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. Mr.
Noble is survived by his widow, Diana (Preston) Noble,
a native of England, and five sons : Frederick W. ; John
E., of further mention; Arthur M. ; Clarence W.; and
Herbert D.

John E. Noble was educated in the public schools of
Lawrence, and his first position was with the Holling-
worth Company, at Groton, Massachusetts, where he
remained for four years, thence removing to Palmers
Falls, New York, entering the employ of the Hudson
River Pulp and Paper Company, where he was located
for six years. During the years from this time until
1913 Mr. Noble was variously employed in New Hamp-
shire and Massachusetts, but always along the lines of
the paper industry, and he is to-day recognized as an
authorit>' on all paper mill machinery.

In 1913 he became associated with the Champion Inter-
national Company, as superintendent of the paper depart-
ment, and holds this position at the present time, hav-
ing under his supervision one hundred employes. Mr.
Noble has introduced an efficiency system, founded on
his extensive experience and his wide knowledge of
paper manufacture, which enables the operatives to
produce with their machines the greatest amount of
paper stock possible, and in many other ways Mr. Noble
has brought the department under his charge up to the



highest basis. He is a genial man, and well liked by
those with whom he comes in daily contact.

Mr. Noble married, in 1896, Minnie E. Richards,
daughter of Benjamin and Mary E. (Smart) Richards,
the former a native of Belfast, Maine, and the latter of
Whitehall. Benjamin Richards was engaged in paper
mill work many years. Mr. and Mrs. Noble are the
parents of a daughter, Mildred A. Noble. They are
attendants of the Methodist church of Lawrence.



ARTHUR S. EVERETT, who for twenty years has
been superintendent of the shops of the Hamblet Ma-
chine Company, of Lawrence, Massachusetts, is very
well known in that vicinity. He is classed among the
responsible business executives, and is esteemed by
those who know him well. He is a worthy scion of one
of New England's oldest families. His great-grand-
father, David Everett, was a soldier in the Revolution-
ary War, from Dedham, Massachusetts.

.Arthur S. Everett was born in Peru, New Y'ork,
March 22, 1864, son of George E. and Adelia (Soper)
Everett, of New York. His father was a farmer, and
died there in 1916, but his mother died many years
earlier, in 1885. They had si.x children, four sons and
two daughters, Arthur S. being the second born.

Mr. Everett was educated in the schools of his native
place and at Albany Business College. After leaving
school he came to Lawrence, Massachusetts, and learned
the trade of machinist in the shops of the Dustin Ma-
chine Company, with which company he remained con-
nected for thirteen years. When George W. Hamblet
took over the plant, Mr. Everett continued to work as a
machinist in the shop of the Hamblet Machine Company.
He has worked in that shop ever since, and gradually
was given increasing responsibility until in 1901 he was
appointed superintendent. He is still superintendent of
that important machine shop, the product, paper mill
machinery, which has been maintained by him at a high
standard. He is well liked and respected by the men,
and has many firm friends among the leading people of
the district. Incidentally his life's story indicates that
he is a loyal and steadfast man, as well as a capable
artisan and business executive.

Mr. Everett is a member of Phoenician Lodge, Free
and Accepted Masons; and Monadnock Lodge, Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows. By religious convic-
tion a Baptist, he has long been a member of Calvary
Baptist Church, being a member of the board of direc-
tors and of the building committee for the new church.
In his political views Mr. Everett is a Republican, but
is not a politician, aiding however, any movements for
the public good.

Mr. Everett married, in 1892, Harriet G. Doane, who
was born in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. They have two
children : Grace, born in 1893 ; and Charles Arthur, born
in 1898.

J. W. EMERSON FARRELL, undertaker, of Ha-
verhill, Massachusetts, was born in Amesbury, same
State, October 13, 1879, son of Rev. John W. Farrell,
pastor of the Baptist church of Gray, Maine, formerly
of Amesbury. The latter married Abbie A. Gordon, of
New Hampton, New Hampshire, and her death occurred
in 1920.



378



ESSEX COUNTY



J. W. Emerson Farrell attended the public schools of
Amesbury and then was a student at the New Hamp-
ton College, graduating in 1900. The year following he
spent at Exeter, New Hampshire, in the drug business,
being employed by the Exeter Drug Company. In 1901
he entered the employ of Edward J. Gilmore, undertaker,
to learn the business with a view to entering this same
field on his own account. This he did in 1909, upon his
return to Haverhill, establishing headquarters at No.
41 Main street. His parlors are up-to-date in every
respect, with a lady attendant, and Mr. Farrell holds a
respected position among the citizens of that city.

Mr. Farrell is a member of the Masonic order;
Knights of Pythias ; Ancient and Honorable Artillery
Company of Boston : Ancient Order of United Work-
men ; Junior Order of United American Mechanics; the
Grange; Pentucket Club; .^gawam Club; the Wachu-
.sett Club; and the Rotary Club, all of Haverhill; and
also is a member of the Haverhill Chamber of Com-
merce.

In 1909 Mr. Farrell married A. Regina Farrell, of
Crookston, Minnesota, and they are the parents of a
daughter, Verna Lucille Farrell. The family attend and
aid in the support of the Congregational church of
Haverhill.

ERNEST A. JOHNSON was born at Lawrence,
Massachusetts, on December 26, 1879, and is a son of
Eric and Helen (Elfstrom) Johnson. Mr. Johnson
received his early education in the schools of Lawrence,
but left school at the age of fourteen years and obtained
employment, in September, 1894, as an office boy at the
Washington Mills. The great changes that have taken
place in business conditions is indicated by the fact that
when Mr. Johnson first began to work he received a
salary of only $4.25 for a week of fifty-eight hours'
work. This condition did not last long in his case, how-
ever, for he was steadily promoted as his industry and
ability were recognized. In 1808 he was promoted from
rhe men's wear department to the position of assistant
to Moses Shuttleworth, who was at that time the super-
intendent of the worsted yam department. Not long
after, about 1901, Mr. Johnson became the superintend-
ent of No. s Mill, worsted yarn department; this mill
has about 11,084 spinning spindles. About 1904 Mr.
Johnson was again promoted, this time to the position
of superintendent of No. i Mill, worsted yarn depart-
ment, which has 16,320 spinning spindles.

Mr. Johnson was naturally energetic and desirous of



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 23 of 56)