Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 24 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 24 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


increasing his knowledge of the technical methods used
in his chosen industry, and in order to satisfy this desire
and increase his value as a trained worker, he attended
the Lowell Textile School during the evening sessions.
He received certificates for the courses in worsted and
woolen spinning, and also in dressing and weaving,
which he completed. About the year 1906 Mr. Johnson
began to learn the principles of dressing, weaving, loom
fixing, mending, burling, and finishing, working at all
these operations in each department, and thus acquir-
ing a thorough practical knowledge of every step in the
manufacture of cloth. About the year 1908 he became
superintendent of the finishing department and held that
position until about 1919, when he became assistant
agent, the position he holds at the present time.



Mr. Johnson is a member of Phoenician Lodge, Free
and Accepted Masons; the Home Club; and the Merri-
mac V'alley Country Club.

Mr. Johnson married Mary F. Lamont, daughter of
Alexander and Elizabeth (Dick) Lamont, of Andover,
and they have one son, Ernest A., Jr., born September
3, 1917. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson attend Trinity Congre-
gational Church at Lawrence. They reside at Shaws-
heen Village, Andover, Massachusetts.



WILFRED J. GOYETTE— Although he has been
in business for himself in Newburyport only a short
while, Wilfred J. Goyette has been making headway
rapidly, as an automobile painter. His workmanship
has been good, and he has therefore created good con-
nections for himself in his line, which embraces all
phases of the automobile painting and lettering busi-
ness, and also carriage painting.

He was born in Manchester, New Hampshire, March
14, 1890, and spent his early years in his home town
and Haverhill, Massachusetts. He attended the public
schools of Manchester, Massachusetts, then entered the
college at Sherebrook, Canada, which was the home of
his parents, Joseph and Delphine (Le Blanc) Goyette.
The former was a contractor by occupation, and spent
the greater part of his life in the province of Quebec,
Canada; he died in Manchester, Massachusetts in 1902.
He and his wife were the parents of fifteen children,
Wilfred J. being the youngest. After his schooldays were
finally over, he, Wilfred J., found employment in Haver-
hill, Massachusetts, and for five years thereafter worked
for Young Brothers of that place. Then he returned to
Canada, and for the next three years was in Montreal,
after which he went to Detroit, Michigan, where he was
in the employ of Lees Brothers. Coming again into
Massachusetts and Essex county, in 1920, he settled at
Newburyport, and opened in business for himself, as
before stated. He has given indication that he is an
energetic man, and an expert in his line. His business
enterprise in Newburyport has therefore good prospect
of proving to be much to his advantage.

Mr. Goyette was married, in 1919, to Mrs. Eva E.
(Fowler) Merrill, of Rings Island, Massachusetts,
daughter of Avana Fowler, of Rings Island, Massachu-
setts, where he is still living (1922).



GUY ELLSWORTH NICKERSON, manager of
the Amesbury Electric Light Company, is a native of
that city, born there September 13, 1884, son of George
W. and Annie Isabelle (Emerson) Nickerson, and
grandson of Ephraim and Abbie (Milliken) Nickerson.
Ephraim Nickerson was a native of Maine, where he
was engaged in business as a box manufacturer until his
death in 1885. He served in the Civil War, and held a
commission. He was a member of the Major How
Post, Grand Army of the Republic, of Merrimac. His
wife survived him several years, her death occurring in
1909. George W. Nickerson, their son, and father of
Guy E. Nickerson, was born in Andover, Massachusetts,
September 25, 1859, and for many years was engaged in
the automobile business in Amesbury. Mrs. Annie I.
(Emerson) Nickerson was born at Ayers Village, Mas-
sachusetts, December 16, 1861.

Guy E. Nickerson attended the public schools and the









,*.o'






AO'i-







(jfl^ G^^^jlA^^.




BIOGRAPHICAL



379



Amesbury High School, and for three years following
was employed by the New England Telephone Com-
pany of his home city, subsequently being employed as
an electrician for the Amesbury Electric Light Com-
pany. He resigned this position to become night oper-
ator for the Boston Elevated Company, where he
remained until 1909, in which year he returned to the
Amesbury Electric Light Company, of which he is now
manager, as previously stated.

In politics he is a Republican, and served four years
as a member of the School Board. Fraternally. Mr.
Nickerson is a member of Warren Lodge, Free and
Accepted Masons; Trinity Chapter, Royal Arch
Masons; Amesbury Council, Royal and Select Masters;
Merrimac Valley Lodge of Perfection ; Princes of Jeru-
salem; Massachusetts Consistory, all being affiliations of
the Masonic order. He is also a member of the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, and of Harmony En-
campment. He is a clerk of St. James' Episcopal
Church.

Mr. Nickerson married, in 1905, Frances E. Hickey,
born July 26, 1885, in .■\mesbury.



HERBERT S. BAYLEY, a member of the firm of
the Bailey & Bayley Company, manufacturers, of Hav-
erhill, Massachusetts, was born in that city, July 18,
1885. and was educated in the public schools, the
Haverhill High School, and the Massachusetts Nautical
School, where he graduated in 1906. For the succeeding
five years Mr. Bayley was employed in the shoe busi-
ness by the A. A. Ordway Company, and for three years
by the Byfield SnufT Company, at Byfield, Massachu-
setts. From this time until 1919 he was employed as
salesman by various concerns, and in the latter year
formed a partnership with Walter S. Bailey, to manu-
facture heel pads, box toes and felt and buckram. Their
factory, located at No. 118 Phoenix avenue, now occu-
pies about 2,000 square feet of floor space, and the
greater part of the work is done by machinery. Mr.
Bayley is a member of Merrimac Lodge, Free and
Accepted Masons; and the .'Kgawam Club.

Mr. Bayley married, in igi8, Dorothy F. Jones, of
Chicago, Illinois, and they are the parents of a son,
Russell Jones Bayley. born March 2, 1921.



ROBERT R. GASKELL, JR., the first man to be
elected to the office of tax collector of the city of Law-
rence, Massachusetts, which office he now holds, was
born in that city, January 20, 1877, son of Robert R.
Gaskell, a native of Bolton. England, now engaged in
textile lines in Lawrence. His mother, Mary E. (Tib-
betts) Gaskell, was born in Wolfboro, New Hampshire,
and now resides in Lawrence.

Mr. Gaskell obtained his early education in the public
schools of Lawrence, and for the next two or three
years worked in local industries. For the next twenty
years he was employed as a salesman, traveling through-
out the eastern states until becoming the agent of
Davis Brothers, of Boston, Massachusetts, selling talk-
ing machines; he located in Lawrence, remaining there
for five years. At the end of this time Mr. Gaskell was
appointed to the office of tax collector of Lawrence, and
is the first man to hold this office, as previously the work



of tax collector had been taken care of by the city
treasurer. Mr. Gaskell has continued to hold the posi-
tion to the present time, discharging his duties in a
most satisfactory manner. He is a member of the Re-
publican party and an active worker in that party's
interests. Fraternally he is a member of the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks; and the Fraternal Order
of Eagles.

Mr. Gaskell married (first), in 1894, Annie McMahon,
born in 1875, at Lawrence, died in 1905, and she was
the mother of the following children: Josephine; Mar-
garet; Mary; Thomas; Anastasia; Marion; and Joseph.
Mr. Gaskell married (second), in February, 1910, Mrs.
William G. Gibbs, of Lawrence. The family residence
is at No. 40 South Broadway, Lawrence.



BENJAMIN V. CONANT was born at Topsfield,
Massachusetts, in 1878. He is a son of Benjamin and
Margaret (Starrett) Conant. His father, who was a
farmer, was born at Beverly, Massachusetts. Mr. Con-
ant has one sister, Clarissa, who lives at Danvers, Mas-
sachusetts; and three brothers: Arthur H., who lives
at Georgetown, Massachusetts; Clarence L., who
resides at Danvers; and Frank S., of Ossipee, New
Hampshire.

Mr. Conant received his education in the public
schools of Topsfield. He started in the milk business
when he was only fifteen years old and has continued
in the same business ever since. In 190J he moved to
Danvers, where his place of business is located at No.
33 Summer street.

Mr. Conant is a member of the Maple Street Congre-
gational Church. He is a Mason and belongs to .'\mity
Lodge, of which he was worshipful master during the
years 1920 and 1921. He also is a member of Holten
Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, and Salem Council, Royal
and Select Masters. Mrs. Conant is a member of the
Eastern Star.

Mr. Conant married Nellie Beatrice Gilland, of
Salem; they have no children.



MICHAEL F. SHUGRUE, founder of the business
which bears his name in Haverhill, Massachusetts, was
born there October 25, 1890, and died June 15, 1920. He
was educated in St. James' Parochial School, and soon
after leaving school, went to work in the shoe industry,
continuing until 1910, in which year he entered business
on his own account, for the first four years carrying a
complete line of jewelry, and later, ready-to-wear cloth-
ing for men and women was added and also talking
machines, everything being sold on a credit basis. Upon
the death of Mr. Shugrue, the business was taken over
by his wife and is now successfully carried on under her
able management. She is the only woman in Essex
county, and perhaps the State, in the credit business.

Mrs. Laura F. (Lessard) Shugrue was born in New-
1>uryport, October 3, 1896, daughter of Theodore and
Willimine (Belanger) Lessard, her father now living in
Haverhill, Massachusetts. After her education in the
parochial school, she worked in the shoe industry until
1914, in which year she married Mr. Shugrue, and they
were the parents of a daughter, Laura L., born August
21, 1919. The family attended the Catholic church, and



38o



ESSEX COUNTY



Mr. Shiigrue was a member of the Knights of CoUim-
bus. Mrs. Shugrue is a member of the Catholic Daugh-
ters of America.



WILLIAM T. WALKE was born in Cornwall,
England, .April g, 1S71, son of Thomas and Lucy (Dart)
Walke. Thomas VValke was born in Plymouth, Eng-
land, later settling in Cornwall, where he was engaged
as a gardener. The lad William T. was educated in
Cornwall public school and there spent the first eighteen
years of his life. In 1889 he came to the United States
and was first employed as a gardener by John S. Far-
low, of Newton, Massachusetts. He remained in that
position six years, then paid a visit to his English
home. After his return to the United States he was
employed on the Forbes estate at Byfield, Massachu-
setts, and a year later came to Salem, where he entered
the employ of Mrs. G. M. Julian, the florist, remaining
for two years. He then established in business for him-
self in Salem under the name of The Loring .\venue
Conservatory. He started business with but three small
hot-houses and now does a very large wholesale and
retail business in flowers, plants and shrubs.

Mr. Walke is a member of the National Association
of Florists, and the leader in his line of business in
Salem. He is a member of Essex Lodge, Free and
Accepted Masons, of Salem; Washington Chapter, Royal
Arch Masons; Salem Council, Royal and Select
Masters; Windsor Lewis Conimandery. Knights Tem-
plar: all bodies of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite,
including Aleppo Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles
of the Mystic Shrine; Sons of St. George; and is a past
noble grand of Salem Lodge, Independent Order of Odd
Fellows. He takes an interest in the welfare of his
city, and aids, through membership, the Chamber of
Commerce in all forward movements.

Mr. Walke married, in June, 1898, Caroline Osgood,
of Salem, and they are the parents of eight children:
Gertrude, Bertram, Lucy, William (2), Florence, Fran-
cis, Henry, and Edith.



HENRY FRANCIS CALLAHAN, D. M. D.—

Among the younger dentists of Peabody, Massachusetts,
possibly none is in better standing than Dr. Callahan,
and none has before him the prospect of a more bril-
liant career.

Dr. Callahan was born in Peabody, Massachusetts,
October 18, 1895, the son of John Joseph and Julia
(Sweeney) Callahan, both deceased. To Mr. and Mrs.
Callahan were born three children : Henry Francis, of
further mention ; John J., an accountant, and a grad-
uate of Suffolk Law School, with the degree of Bachelor
of Laws; and William J., who served in the United
States army during the World War and is now a mem-
ber of the Medical Reserve Corps,

The elementary education of Henry Francis Calla-
han was obtained in the public schools of his native
place, after which he matriculated at Tufts Dental Col-
lege, from which he was graduated in 1918, with the
degree of Doctor of Medical Dentistry. The same
year he passed the Massachusetts State Board exami-
nations and then immediately returned to Peabody,
where he opened an office at No. 7 Central street and
engaged in the practice of his profession. This has



been his headquarters ever since, and the liberal patron-
age which has come to him attests his superior under-
standing of the principles of dentistry.

Dr. Callahan is a member of the Essex County Medi-
cal Society, and affiliates with the Knights of Colum-
bus and the I.,oyal Order of Moose. His political
preference is with the Democratic party. A Roman
Catholic in his religious views, he attends St. John's
Church of that denomination. Dr. Callahan is as yet
unmarried.



BURT G. WEBSTER, a business man of Haver-
hill, Massachusetts, was born in the city of Lawrence,
that State, July 7, 1S63, son of Henry K. Webster, of
Manchester, New Hampshire, and Elsa A. (Johnson)
Webster. The former was engaged in the grain busi-
ness, and died in 1920.

Burt G. Webster was educated in the public schools,
and was engaged in the real estate business on his own
account at an early age. After a few years he discon-
tinued this line and bought a bowling alley, which he
successfully conducted for about four years. He then
bought a garage, and is also owner of the Haverhill
Taxicab Company. This business is the largest of its
kind in Haverhill. Mr. Webster is a Mason, and a
member of the Wachusett Club.

Mr. Webster married, in 1S90, Ella E. Smith, daugh-
ter of John and Lucy (Ladesey) Smith, of New York
State. They are the parents of two sons: Chase W.,
and Benn R. The latter is in the regular army, and has
been stationed in China for the last two vears.



IRVING NOYES, box manufacturer of Haverhill,
Massachusetts, and treasurer and general manager of
the A. Dalton Company of that city, is also among the
foremost citizens there. He was born in that city
March 25, 1875, the son of Raymond Noyes, of Atkin-
son, New Hampshire, and Laura E. (Stockbridge)
Noyes, also of New Hampshire. The former was
engaged in the banking business the greater part of his
life, and also served as tax collector for six years.

Irving Noyes obtained his formal education in the
public and high schools of his native city and soon
afterwards entered the employ of the Taylor & Good-
win Lumber Company, and after a year entered the
employ of John Owens & Company, remaining until
1903. Mr. Noyes then left John Owens & Company,
where he was foreman and accepted a similar position
with the A. Dalton Company. In 1908 Mr. Noyes
became a member of this firm, which firm was estab-
lished in January, 1895, by Annie Dalton, to manufacture
a general line of wood and paper boxes, their business
being confined largely to the shoe industry's needs.
The business was ably carried on under the supervision
of Miss Dalton until 1914, in which year Miss Dalton
died, and Mr. Noyes assumed the full responsibility of
the business. At this time Albert S. Eaton was
admitted as president of the company, and Raymond
Noyes as vice-president, and the business was carried
on under the same name. In 1920 Mr. Eaton died,
and Raymond Noyes was elected president, with Irving
Noyes as treasurer and general manager. The growth
and development of the business can be seen in a com-
parison between the original output of about 2,000 boxes




^e^rW Vi^/Scc^^



BIOGRAPHICAL



381



a day to the present number of 25,000. From a modest
start in a cellar on Phoenix Row, the increase in manu-
facture demanded the modern factory now in use, cov-
ering 20,000 square feet of floor space.

Mr. Noyes is a member of the Association of National
Paper Box Manufacturers, and of the Manufacturers'
Association, and Associated Industries of Massachu-
setts. He is also a director and has an interest in the
Newton Box Companj', and is a member of the Cham-
ber of Commerce.

In 1897 Mr. Noyes married Minnie P. Eaton, of
Haverhill, and their children are: Marjorie E., and
Harlan S. Noyes. Mrs. Noyes is a daughter of Albert
S. and Abbie E. Eaton, of Haverhill. Mr. and Mrs.
Noyes attend the First Congregational Church of Brad-
ford, and Mr. Noyes is a member of the finance commit-
tee of that church.



GEORGE W. BATTYE was born at Danvers,
Massachusetts, July 31, 1856, and is a son of James and
Sarah (Bailey) Battye, both of whom were born in
England. James Battye, who was a weaver by trade,
came to the United States when he was about thirty
years of age. He fought for the Union in the Civil
War, and towards the end of his term contracted a
fever of which he died eleven days after he was mus-
tered out of the service. Of his children only three,
Mr. Battye, and his two sisters, Rhoda, the widow of
John H. Parker, who is now a resident of Danvers,
and Ella, now Mrs. Fred Thomas, who lives at Pea-
body, Massachusetts, are living.

Mr. Battye was educated in the public schools of
Danvers. He became a farmer when his school days
were over, but after spending four or five years on the
land, turned back to city life and went to work in a
shoe shop. There, in the three years that followed, he
gained a practical knowledge of business methods. He
then entered the service of the Pike & Whipple Com-
pany, carriage manufacturers. He spent twenty-si.x years
in the company's service and then, in partnership with
A. H. Porter and C. H. Whipple, purchased the inter-
est of Mr. Pike, the senior partner. Mr. Battye, with
his partners, conducted the business successfully for
eighteen years, at the end of which time, in January,
1520, Mr. Battye sold his interest in the business and
retired.

In the course of his long and active life, Mr. Battye
found time to serve as a member of the State Militia.
He was a sergeant of the Eighth Regiment, Company K,
of Danvers, from 1890 to 1893. He was a member of
the Danvers Fire Department for seven years, and has
been an engineer of the Fire Department for the past
twenty-eight years, since 1893.

Mr. Battye is an Episcopalian. He has been a mem-
ber of the Improved Order of Red Men for the last
forty years, and a member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows for a quarter of a century. He became
a Mason in 1920.

Mr. Battye married Mary E. Blanchard, a daughter
of James Edward and Armenia (Stone) Blanchard, of
Peabody, Massachusetts. Mrs. Battye's father was born
at Franklin, New Hampshire, and followed the trade
of a carpenter. Mrs. Battye was born at Sandwich,
New Hampshire, before her parents moved to Massa-



chusetts. She has one sister, who is now Mrs. Nancy
Tauch, and a brother, John Blanchard, who died in
Beverly. Mr. and Mrs. Battye have no children, but
reared as their own, since the age of five weeks, Mabel
Blanchard, daughter of Lewis E. and Gertrude L.
(Glover) Blanchard. She is now the wife of Chester
E. Wheeler, of Danvers, and they have a son, Donald
Battj'e Wheeler.

DAVID A. TEEL, who was born in Newburyport,
Massachusetts, fifty-eight years ago, is now treasurer of
the Newburyport Counter Company, and has an envi-
able reputation in his native city. He is well known to
many of the older residents, and generally esteemed by
them. He was born on December 13, 1863, the son of
John T. and Paulina (Kimball) Teel, both of York,
Maine, where his father was a shipbuilder. David A.
was one of eleven children, his parents having four
sons and seven daughters. His father originally fol-
lowed his trade in Maine, but later in Newburyport,
Massachusetts, which was the home of the family for
many years. David A. Teel was only eight years old,
however, when his father died in 1871. He was an
orphan at eleven, his mother dying in 1874. By that
time he had almost passed through the Newburyport
elementary school, and was able to take up the serious
affairs of life. For many years after leaving school he
worked at the trade of his father, that of shipbuilding,
later transferring his energy to the leather business of
a brother, J. H. Teel, in whose plant he worked for
several years. There, and during the ten succeeding
years of service to Walter Smith, he gained compre-
hensive knowledge of leather, and in 1902 was influenced
to enter into that business for himself. In that year, in
partnership with Charles Stevens and John H. Teel,
he established the Newburyport Counter Company, and
opened a factory at No. 282 Merrimac street. The plant
has ever since been steadily operated, and now has a
capacity of 30,000 pairs of counters a day, and finds
employment for twenty-five persons. The factory uses
about 10,000 square feet of floor space, and turns out a
reliable product Mr. Teel is the principal stockholder.
The present members of the firm are: Daniel J. Kelle-
her, president; David A. Teel, treasurer; Charles W.
Stevens ; and Mrs. John H. Teel.

Mr. Teel was married, in 191 5, to Helen F. Hatch,
of Newburyport, daughter of Horace and Florence
(Gemignani) Hatch, the former now in business as a
painter in the city. She is Mr. Teel's second wife, and
both of Mr. Teel's children were born to him by his
first wife. His children are: Ethel G., who married
Mr. Fairbanks ; and Louis K.



JOHN S. LARRABEE is one of those men who
know the shoe trade from the bottom to the top, for he
has traveled the whole distance, not by leaps and bounds,
but step by step. Starting at the age of nineteen, he
has spent his working life with one firm and now is a
greatly esteemed partner in that same concern. A man
as faithful to his friends as he has been to his work,
dependable under stress or difficulty, helpful always,
Mr. Larrabee has won for himself an enviable place
in the hearts and minds of his fellows. His father,
Lemuel H. Larrabee, was in the shoe industry of Ken-



382



ESSEX COUNTY



nebunk, Maine. His mother was Lucretia (Stevens)
Larrabee. ,

John S. Larrabee was born at Kennebunk, Maine,
October 12, 1873. At the age of nineteen he went to
work in a shoe shop, the Kimball Brothers factory, at
Kennebunk, one of the oldest and most important of its
kind, having been founded in l86i, at Haverhill, Mas-
sachusetts. By faithful, hard work he gained for him-
self steady advancement, being made foreman of the
finishing department in 1892, foreman of the making
department in 1893, at which time the plant was moved
from Kennebunk, Maine, to Lawrence, Massachusetts.
In 1898, he was made superintendent. When the com-
pany was incorporated in 1919, Mr. Larrabee became a
member and the name vras changed to The Alfred
Kimball Shoe Company. It is one of the most import-
ant shoe manufacturing concerns in the city, employing
over three hundred and fifty operatives, doing a busi-
ness in the fiscal year of 1919-20, of over a million and
a half dollars, and catering to a trade as widespread as
the South and West and Cuba.

Mr. Larrabee is a member of the Chamber of Com-
merce, in Lawrence. Fraternally, he is a member of
Tuscan Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons ; Mt.
Sinai Chapter, Royal Arch Masons ; Lawrence Coun-
cil, Royal and Select Masters; Bethany Commandery,
Knights Templar ; and Aleppo Temple, Ancient Arabic
Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a mem-
ber of the Knights of Pythias, being past chancellor
commander of Quintaro Lodge, of Lawrence. Both
Mr. Larrabee and his family are interested and helpful
members of the Congregational church.

In 1899, at Lawrence, Massachusetts, he married
Marcia Dean Bancroft, daughter of George Bancroft, a
well-known wholesaler of beef in Lawrence, and his



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 24 of 56)