Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 25 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 25 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


wife, Julia (Gowan) Bancroft. Their residence is in
Lawrence. Mr. and Mrs. Larrabee have one child,
Julia Lucretia, born July 2, 1909.



JAMES M. McLEOD, of the jewelry firm of Wood-
bury & McLeod, was born in Cumberland, Nova Scotia,
February 4, 1884, son of Alexander D. and Elizabeth
(Bruce) McLeod. The former was engaged in the pro-
vision business at Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, for many
years, until his death in 1915. His wife, who died in
1920, was a native of Pictou, Nova Scotia.

Mr. McLeod was educated in the public schools of his
native town and also attended school in Haverhill,
Massachusetts, whence he had removed with his par-
ents. For eight years following the completion of his
formal education Mr. McLeod worked in the shoe indus-
try, resigning from this occupation to work for E. J.
Hodgdon as a watch salesman, also selling diamonds.
After two years he entered this business on his own
account, entering into partnership with J. E. Woodbury,
under the firm name of Woodbury & McLeod, carry-
ing a line of jewelry, watches and talking machines,
with a place of business located at No. 47 Merrimack
street, where they remained until 1920. At this time
larger quarters were needed to take care of the fast
growing business and, accordingly, they moved to No.
174 Merrimack street; their new quarters have twenty-
five feet of frontage and sixty feet depth, and Messrs.



Woodbury & McLeod are the largest dealers in watches
and diamonds in Haverhill.

Mr. McLeod is a member of the Masonic order, affil-
iating with Pentucket Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; he
is also a member of the Knights of Pythias, the Cham-
ber of Commerce, and the .^gawam Club.

Mr. McLeod married, in 1907, Agnes Grace Estes, of
Bradford, Massachusetts, and their children are : Mar-
jorie Grace, Paul A., Stewart S., Arline, and James M.,
Jr. With his family Mr. McLeod is a member of the
Presbyterian church of Haverhill.



DR. JAMES HAROLD POWERS, one of the

leading younger members of the dental fraternity of
Essex county, Massachusetts, was born in this city,
February I, 1894, the son of John and Mary T. (Mul-
cahy) Powers. John Powers was assistant superin-
tendent of the Danvers Bleachery for many years, and
died in Peabody, October 10, 1917. To Mr. and Mrs.
Powers were born two children : James Harold, of
further mention ; and John A., superintendent of the
C. F. Mulcahy Company.

James Harold Powers obtained the elementary portion
of his education in the local public schools and then
entered St. John's Preparatory School at Danvers, Mas-
sachusetts, subsequently matriculating at Tufts Dental
College, from which he was graduated in 1918, with the
degree of Doctor of Dental Medicine. That same year
he passed the Massachusetts State Board examinations,
after which he enlisted in the United States Navy, but
was not called to active service, and on April I, 1919,
began his professional career at Peabody, in the O'Shea
building, moving, however, to No. 297 Essex street,
Salem, in February, 1921. He is thorough and painstak-
ing in his treatment of every patient who consults him,
and by reading and research keeps well informed on all
matters pertaining to the profession. In 1918 Dr.
Powers was appointed dental examiner for the United
States Public Health Service in the Seventh Massa-
chusetts District, his duties consisting of the care of
soldiers, sailors and marines who come under the
Bureau of War Risk Insurance. Dr. Powers holds
membership in the leading dental organizations, among
them being the American Dental Association, the New
England Dental Association, and the Essex County
Dental Society. In politics Dr. Powers is an Independ-
ent, preferring to remain free from all partisan influ-
ences in the exercise of his own judgment on public
issues. In religion he is a Roman Catholic, and is a
prominent member of St. John's Roman Catholic Church
of Peabody.

RICHARD J. SHEA— One of the best known men
in Lawrence, Massachusetts, is Richard J. Shea, who for
twenty-five years was clerk of the City Council, and
for very long city auditor. Indeed, he has the distinc-
tion of being longer in office as auditor than any other
man now living in the State of Massachusetts.

Mr. Shea was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts, on
May 30, 1855, son of Michael and Margaret (Bradley)
Shea. His mother was born in the city of Cork, Ire-
land, and she died in Lawrence in 1890; his father was
born in the County of Cork, and lived until 1917. He



THE NEVi? YORK " ,
1 PUBLIC LIBRARY'

ASTOR, L,E?NOX .

Lnrr.F.NFOUNDA'^tONSJ





InviL^



BIOGRAPHICAL



383



was a veteran of the Civil War, service which brought
him honorable place in American records, and also
many sincere friends and comrades in Lawrence. Mich-
ael and Margaret (Bradley) Shea had six children,
two sons and four daughters, Richard J., being the first-
boni. He was still in early boyhood when his father
went away to war. His education was obtained in the
Lawrence public school, and afterwards he took a busi-
ness course at the Lawrence Commercial School. En-
tering business life, he was for a short while in the
Pacific Mills in Lawrence, but soon went into the
grocer)- business, which line he followed for fourteen
years, then went to Salem for a short while, and
returning to Lawrence worked for the Spigot River
Commission. He was thus employed until January,
1886. when he was appointed clerk of the Common
Council of Lawrence. At the same time he was elected
city auditor, and he held both these offices continu-
ously, until 1912, when the Council was abolished. He,
however, is still city auditor, a proud distinction, for
he has the State record as such.

Mr. Shea has necessarily been more or less promi-
nent in most of the public movements in Lawrence
during the last few decades. He was secretary of the
Democratic City Committee; is paymaster of the State
Aid of Soldiers' Relief, and belongs to several fraternal
orders. He is a member of the Ancient Order of
Hibernians ; the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, of which he is senior past exalted ruler; and the
Foresters. Needless to say, Mr. Shea has a wide circle
of friends. He is a member of St. Mary's Roman Cath-
olic Church.

Mr. Shea married, in 1899, Anna L. Herbst, who was
born in Germany. They have two children : Richard
J., Jr., who was born in 1900; and Margaret, born in
1907. The son was a member of the Students' Army
Training Corps, at Villanova College, and later, for a
short period, was stationed at Camp Lee, Virginia.



CHARLES L. WARE, steam and power engineer
of Lawrence, Massachusetts, was bom in Frederickton,
New Brunswick, November 5, 1875. son of Walter B.
Ware, born in 1853. at Wrentham, Massachusetts, now
engaged in the lumber business, and Eunice (Newcomb)
Ware, born April 6, 1853, at Pictou, Nova Scotia, who
died in 1898.

Mr. Ware was educated in the public schools of Rut-
land and Springfield, Massachusetts, and soon after
leaving school went to work for the Lakeville Woolen
Company, at West Rutland, Massachusetts, where he
remained for four years, and then was employed at the
Massachusetts State Primary School. A year was
spent in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, employed by the
Manville Company there, and thence Mr. Ware removed
to Worcester, Massachusetts, where he worked for
almost five years as engineer of the E. D. Thayer Com-
pany. Following this position, Mr. Ware was em-
ployed by the .\merican Steel and Wire Company of
that city, and later removed to Norwood, Massachusetts,
and entered the employ of Winslow Brothers, as assist-
ant master mechanic. After three years an opportunity
came to fill the position of chief engineer of the Mystic
Dye Works at Medford, Massachusetts, and Mr. Ware
remained there three years. He then became master



mechanic of the Hockanum Mills at Rockville, Connec-
ticut, and after six years there, held a similar position
with the Standish Worsted Company, of Plymouth.
Until 1918 he was chief engineer of the .\ssabet Mills
of the American Woolen Company, at Maynard, Mas-
sachusetts, and in the latter year he was appointed
engineer of steam and water power for all the mills of
the above company, with headquarters at Lawrence,
which position he now holds. Mr. Ware's vast experi-
ence in his line of work has been of untold value to him,
and each succeeding employer received the benefits
derived from previous experiences.

Mr. Ware is a Republican; a member of the American
Society of Mechanical Engineers of New York; and
fraternally he is a member of Fayette Lodge, No. 69,
Free and Accepted Masons of Rockville, Connecticut;
Adoniram Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, of Rockville;
Adoniram Council, Royal and Select Masters, of Rock-
ville: and a member of the Blue Room Club, of Boston;
and the National Association of Stationary Engineers.

Mr. Ware married, in 1898, Helen Moulton, born
July 7, 1873, at Rutland. Massachusetts, daughter of
Menzies R. Moulton, and they are the parents of : Myrtle
H. Ware, born at Norwood, in 1901; and Miriam E.
Ware, born in 1904, at Medford.



RALPH W. PRESCOTT was born in the State of

Maine in 186S. His father. John Prescott, was the
owner and proprietor of a Maine farm.

Mr. Prescott was educated in the public schools of
his native State. After his studies were completed, he
occupied himself with agricultural work until he was
thirty-four years old, becoming a farmer like his father.
In 1903 he moved to Danvers, Massachusetts, and after
obtaining temporary employment as a farmer for a few
months, he began to raise poultry for the market. He
spent four years in the poultry business and then became
a manufacturer of concrete blocks for building purposes.
Mr. Prescott has conducted this business successfully
for the past eleven years and finds his product in great
demand as building material for houses, garages, and
other structures.

Mr. Prescott attends the L'niversalist church. He is
a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, and belongs to the lodge at Salem.

Mr. Prescott married Alice E. Keyes, of Winthrop,
Maine, and they are the parents of a son, Ralph W.
Prescott, Jr.



CHARLES E. TYLER, retired shoe manufacturer.
Civil War soldier, and for many years identified with
the town administration of Georgetown, Massachusetts,
as well as with its general public affairs, was born in
Boston, Massachusetts. July 7, 1839, the son of Caleb
Greenleaf and Rooxbie L. (Chaplin) Tyler. His mother
was originally of Georgetown, but his father, who died
in i860, was for several years a merchant in Montgom-
ery, Alabama.

Mr. Tyler was educated in Georgetown public schools,
and also attended the Putnam Free School, after leav-
ing which he worked in his father's store for three years.
He next entered the shoe factory of a relative, H. P.
Chaplin, with whom he remained for seven years, after
which, having mastered the trade, he became a manu-



384



ESSEX COUNTY



facturer himself, oiiening in independent business as
such, under the trading name of Charles E. Tyler. Six
years later he sold his business and went to Bangor,
Maine, where for ten years he operated a moccasin fac-
tory. In 1883 he returned to Georgetown and became
the head of Little & Company, Inc., manufacturers of
shoes. In 1886 he retired altogether from business, and
since that time has lived in Georgetown, devoting his
time to public and communal affairs. He has been a
Mason for fifty-two years, and for very many years has
been a member of the local post of the Grand Army
of the Republic. His Civil War service was with the
50th Massachusetts Regiment of Infantry. He served
for about thirteen months, then was honorably dis-
charged at Wenham, Massachusetts.

In the public affairs of Georgetown he is of record
as follows: Chairman of the board of selectmen: over-
seer of the poor; town auditor; chairman of the board
of assessors; and also as trustee of the Peabody Library,
the Georgetown Savings Bank, and the Board of Invest-
ments. In several other capacities he has helped in com-
munity affairs.

Mr. Tyler married, November 8, 1862, Caroline N.
Harriman, daughter of William Brown Harriman, shoe
manufacturer of Georgetown, and his wife, Olive (Nel-
son) Harriman. Mr. and Mrs. Tyler have no living
children, both of their two children dying in early
infancy.



AUGUSTUS PEABODY LORING, JR.— Among
the younger members of professional men in Beverly,
Massachusetts, Augustus Peabody Loring, Jr., is a
noteworthy figure. He was born in Boston, Massachu-
setts, on April 16, 1885, and is a son of Augustus and
Ellen (Gardner) Loring, long residents of that city.
As a boy Mr. Loring attended the Noble and Green-
ough schools, of Boston. Massachusetts, and later
entered Harvard University, from which he was gradu-
ated in 1908, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. But
his chosen career was the law, and he followed this
course with legal studies at Harvard Law School, and
also at the Boston L^niversity Law School.

Mr. Loring became associated with Alfred Bowditch,
the well known Boston trustee, specializing in the man-
agement of estates. Mr, Loring has been largely instru-
mental in the growth and development of the business
since that time, and is now the active head of the firm.
They handle some very important work, and act as
trustees for many of the famous estates in this vicinity.
The offices of the company are at No. in Devonshire
street, in Boston, but Mr. Loring resides in Beverly.

In social and fraternal circles in both places Mr.
Loring is widely known and popular. He is, a member
of the Free and Accepted Masons, of the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks, and of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows. He is a member of the Somerset
Club, and the Exchange Qub, both of Boston, and is
also a member of the L^nion Club, of Beverly. His
religious convictions place his membership with the
Unitarian church.

Mr. Loring married Rosamond Bowditch, daughter
of Alfred and Mary L. (Rief) Bowditch, of Boston,
and they have four children : Mary D. ; Rose ; Augustus
P., 3d; and Ellen Gardner.



C. E. BRAGDON— One of the leading hardware
stores of the town of Danvers, Massachusetts, is that
of C. E. Bragdon, whose long experience in this line
of business in Boston gives him an unusual advantage
in anticipating the requirements of the local trade.

Mr. Bragdon is a son of William E. and Nancy E.
(Boardman) Bragdon. William E. Bragdon was a
machinist by occupation, and the family were for many
years residents of Gloucester, Massachusetts. There
were four daughters, Susan, Grace, Annie. Jennie, and
the one son, whose name heads this review, was the
youngest child,

C. E. Bragdon was born in Salem, Massachusetts, in
1885, and received his education in the public and high
schools of that city. He entered the business world in
the employ of C. H. Price, a prominent druggist of
that day in Salem, but did not remain permanently in
this business. After a short time he went to Boston
and entered the employ of Frye, Phipps & Company, a
large wholesale hardware concern, with whom he
remained for fourteen years. From 1906 until igi6 he
represented the company on the road in the capacity of
salesman. On November i, 1916, Mr. Bragdon entered
the retail hardware business in Danvers, succeeding
L. J. Ross, at the old location at No. 53 Maple street.
This store was founded by Mr. Ross in 1891. and was
even then a prosperous interest. Under Mr. Bragdon's
hand the 'business has grown and developed widely, and
is now a leading source of supply for the vicinity of
Danvers.

Mr. Bragdon is prominent in the trade, and is now a
member of the board of directors of the New England
Hardware Association, having been elected to that posi-
tion in March, 1920. Fraternally, Mr. Bragdon holds
the thirty-second degree in the Masonic order. Politi-
cally, he is affiliated with the Republican party. He is
a member of the Salem Tabernacle, and was superin-
tendent of the Sunday school in 1913 and 1914.

Mr. Bragdon married Elizabeth Graham, of Salem,
and they have two daughters: Lucille E., born in
1906, and Nancy E,, born in 1916.



PERCY HAROLD FERNALD— Portsmouth (New
Hampshire) Navy Yard stands on land which
was once owned by the ancestors of Percy Harold
Fernald, of Newburyport, Massachusetts, and his wife's
genealogy is rich in (Colonial New England connections.

Percy Harold Fernald was born in Portsmouth,
New Hampshire, on March 14, 1875, son of Charles and
Lucy (Keene) Fernald, of Kittery, Maine, his father a
shipbuilder.

Percy H. Fernald attended the public schools of
Portsmouth, and after leaving school, found employ-
ment as telegraph messenger in his native place, even-
tually becoming an operator. This brought him some-
what into line with things electrical, and from the needle
instrument he went into the employ of Morris Swartz,
an electrical contractor, at Portsmouth. There he
learned the trade, and in course of time became an
electrician, finding work as such with the Portsmouth
Electric Company. In 1901 he came to Newburyport
and entered into connection with James Dickins, for
whom he worked until 1913. when he went into business
in Newburyport for himself, as an electrical contractor.



BIOGRAPHICAL



385



He at first rented a store and shop at No. 4 Middle
street, but eventually increasing business caused him
to seek larger quarters, which he found at No. 38
Pleasant street, his present address. Mr. Fernald has
shown that he has expert knowledge of his trade, and
that he is also an alert, enterprising business man. His
present establishment is stated to be very complete, his
stock the largest in Newburyport in that line.

Mr. Fernald is one of the aggressive business men of
the city and is quite popular among them. He attends
the Central Church, and shows a generous interest in
church and communal movements. He is a member of
St. Mark's Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; and
King Cyrus Chapter. Royal Arch Masons.

Mr. Fernald married, in 1S97, Grace M. Clark, of
Dover, New Hampshire, daughter of Joseph and Helen
(Estes) Clark, of that place, and a descendant of notable
Colonial New England houses. Both families are
among the oldest in New England, and have given to
the nation and to the New England states many dis-
tinguished sons. Mr. and Mrs. Percy H. Fernald
have three children : Martha Estes, who was born in
1898; Arthur Herbert, born in IQOO; and Helen Cather-
ine, born in 1903.



WILLIAM HENRY SEARS, JR., was born at
Kingsley Falls, Canada, on July 16, 1875, and is a son
of William H. and Sarah (Robinson) Sears, both Can-
adians. The elder Mr. Sears, who was the proprietor
of an hotel, died in 1919.

William H. Sears, Jr., received his early education
in the public schools of Newburyport, Massachusetts.
After completing his studies he went to Louisville. Ken-
tucky, where he entered the service of R. M. Hughes &
Company. In 1894, after having spent four years at
Louisville, Mr. Sears came to Haverhill, Massachusetts,
and obtained a position with Harold F. Blake, a manu-
facturer of shoe patterns. He remained with Mr, Blake
for some years, and then entered the service of Mr.
Bourque, his present partner. In 1910 he formed a
"partnership with Mr. Bourque, under the firm name of
Bourque & Sears. Up to the present time the partners,
whose offices are at No. 64 Wingate street, have devoted
themselves exclusively to the manufacture and sale of
shoe patterns.

Mr, Sears is a member of the Masonic order, and
belongs to all the Masonic bodies in the York Rite,
including the fourteenth in the Scottish Rite, also the
Mystic Shrine; he also is a member of the Knights of
Pythias.

Mr. Sears married Georgia Blanche .Atkins, of Haver-
hill, Massachusetts, in 1898, she a daughter of Edward
and Annette (Perkins) Atkins, the former a native of
Rochester, New Hampshire, who engaged in the shoe
manufacturing industry. Mrs. Atkins was born at
Altonbay, New Hampshire. Mr. and Mrs. Sears have
no children.



EPES SARGENT — For many years a resident of
Essex. Massachusetts, Epes Sargent has been identified
with the ship-building industry for more than thirty
years.

Mr. Sargent was born in Petite Riviere, Nova Scotia,
April 29, 1863, and is a son of William H. and Edna
Essex — 2 — 25



Burnham (Perkins) Sargent. The elder Mr. Sargent
was a native of Bayview, Gloucester, Massachusetts,
and was engaged in the shoe business until his death in
1874. His wife died in Esse.x in 1903.

Coming with the family to Essex in his childhood, Mr.
Sargent was educated in the public schools of this town.
Later he was interested in the manufacture of fishing
tackle, in the employ of the H. W. Mears Company, of
Essex, then became connected with the James & Son
shipyards, and has remained with this concern contin-
uously since. He has been closely identified with much
of the finest work which has gone out from these yards,
and was one of the inboard joiners on the "Mayflower,"
which was launched in the spring of 1921.

In the public life of the city Mr. Sargent has long
been a prominent figure. His first public service was
as town auditor, and thereafter, for twenty-five consecu-
tive years, he served as town clerk. He has been a
member of the Volunteer Fire Department for thirty-
seven years, and is now filling the position of engineer
for the second time.

Mr. Sargent is a member of Starr King Lodge,
Knights of Pythias: is a charter member of Fernwood
Lodge, Ancient Order of United Workmen; and is a
member of Ocean Lodge, Independent Order of Odd
Fellows. He is a member of the Univcrsalist church
of Esse.x.

Mr. Sargent married, in 1885, Caddie F. Cook, of
Essex, and they have one daughter, Seola Florence.



HENRY N. BOURQUE was born on September 26,
1874, at Haverhill, Massachusetts, and is a son of Xiste
Bourque and Olive (Vellaire) Bourque. Mr. Bourque's
father was a French Canadian, engaged in the shoe
manufacturing industry; he died in 1917. His mother
was a native of Vermont.

Mr. Bourque received his early education in the
public schools of Haverhill. After completing his
studies he entered the employment of the Webster
Machinery Company, where he worked for three years.
He then decided to engage in the leather industrv and
spent eight years working for various firms, thus acquir-
ing a thorough knowledge of the industry. At the end
of this period, feeling himself fully qualified by knowl-
edge and experience to engage in business for himself,
Mr. Bourque formed a partnership with Mr. Brown.
Under the firm name of Bourque & Brown, the partners
engaged in the leather industry and met with complete
success. After a time, however, Mr. Bourque withdrew
from the firm and established himself in business as an
individual. His enterprise prospered, and at length, in
1910, he took William Henry Sears, who had been in
his employment for some time, into partnership with
him. The firm is now known as Bourque & Sears, and
its offices are at No. 64 Wingate street, Haverhill. Up
to the present time the partners have engaged exclusively
in the manufacture and sale of shoe patterns. Mr.
Bourque is a member of the Knights of Pj'thias, and
also belongs to the Improved Order of Red Men.

Mr. Bourque married, in 1897, Mary Roston, of Eng-
land, the daughter of Edward P. and Mary Roston.
Both of her parents were English by birth. Edward P.
Roston, Mrs. Bourque's father, who was a barber, died
in 1913. Mr. and Mrs. Bourque have no children.



386



ESSEX COUNTY



EDWARD E. CHASE— In the many branches of
the public service there is none which holds greater
responsibility than that of the fire department. In Lynn,
Massachusetts, Edward E. Chase is the capable chief
of the fire department. A man of fine executive ability,
and devoted to the progress and success of his depart-
ment, lie is carrying forward its interests, inspiring the
rank and file to the highest achievement, and making
history which will hold a thrill of satisfaction for future
generations.

Mr. Chase is a son of Zachariah J. Chase, who was
born in Poland, Maine, and came to Essex county in his
youth. He was one of the original partners of the Z. J.
Chase & Sons Ice Company, of Lynn, which he was
instrumental in organizing. He was one of the prin-
cipals in its development, and was connected with this
business the remainder of his lifetime. He died about
three years ago. He married Harriet Moon, who was
born in Lynn, Massachusetts, and was the daughter of
English parents. She died eight years ago in this city.



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 25 of 56)