Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 27 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 27 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


three children: Mary, Barbara and Marjorie. 3.
Johanna, the wife of Bert. A. MacKenzie; they have two
children: Mary and Bertram, twins. Mrs. MacKenzie
is a member of St. Margaret's Roman Catholic Church ;
the children attend the Baptist church, and Mr. Mac-
Kenzie attended the Presbyterian.



FREDERICK W. LANE— Identified for many years
with the painting business in Manchester, Massachu-
setts, Frederick W. Lane bore a part in the progress of
this city, from his coming in 186S to the time of his
death in 1917.

Frederick W. Lane was a son of Frederick Lane, who
was born in Gloucester, Massachusetts, and throughout
his lifetime was engaged as a seaman and shipbuilder.
He married Judith Storey, of Rockport, Massachusetts,
and they were the parents of three children: Harriette;
Frederick VV., of whom further; and Orville.

Frederick W. Lane was born in Gloucester, Massa-
chusetts, in 1849, and received a practical education in
the public schools of his native place. Becoming a
resident of Manchester at the age of nineteen years, he
entered the house painting business, and continued in
this field of endeavor during the remainder of his life-
time, in the employ of his cousin, E. A. Lane. He
was a man of fine character, bearing the responsibilities
of life with a lofty spirit, and in his death the com-
munity, as well as his friends and family, sustained a
loss which will long be deeply regretted. Mr. Lane
was a devout member of the Universalist church, and
a man of kindly Christian spirit.

After coming to Manchester Mr. Lane married Mary
M. (Harvie) Burgess, widow of James Burgess, of
Nova Scotia, and daughter of .Abel and Ruth (Masters)
Harvie, of Nova Scotia. Abel Harvie was a prosperous
farmer there. Mr. and Mrs. Harvie were the parents of
seven children: William H., Alonzo, Ezekiel N., Mar-
garet D.. George A., Robert P., and Mary M., wife of
Frederick W. Lane. Mrs. Lane still survives her hus-
band, and resides with her eldest daughter, by her
former marriage, Miss Alberta M. Burgess, a graduate
nurse, at No. 96 School street, Manchester. The house
in which they live was built prior to the Indian wars,
and is one of the landmarks of Manchester. Mrs. Lane
is a member of the Congregational church, and the
Women's Relief Corps.



JOHN DANFORTH— The insurance business now
known as Dalton & Danforth, located at No. 218 Essex
street, Salem, Massachusetts, was established before
1838, and is now (1921) the oldest insurance agency in
the city. John Danforth. a native son, conducted an
independent agency in Salem for several years. In 1918
he became associated with J. Frank Dalton, and the firm
of Dalton & Danforth has continued the business founded
so many years ago. Dalton & Danforth represent the
following companies, which companies carry fire, acci-



dent, fidelity, plate glass and life: Liverpool & Lon-
don & Globe; Scottish Union & National; Mutual Pro-
tection; Traders & Mechanics; London Guarantee and
Accident; New Jersey Fidelity and Plate Glass, and
Pacific Fire Insurance Company; and the General Acci-
dent, Fire and Life Corporation; in all he represents
over twenty well known companies.

John Danforth was born in Salem, Massachusetts,
December 19, 1880, and there has passed his years,
forty-one. He was educated in the public schools of
the city. Leaving school at the age of seventeen, he
worked in various places, gaining valuable training.
About 1910 he established an insurance agency in Salem,
Massachusetts, successfully conducted the business alone
until 1918, when he became associated with J. Frank
Dalton, they continuing as partners in the firm of
Dalton & Danforth. Mr. Danforth is a notary public,
appointed November I, 1914, and re-appointed Novem-
ber 2, 1921. He is a member of the Bank Officers'
Association of Boston, and of the Colonial Club of
Salem. He is master of Essex Lodge, Free and
Accepted Masons, of Salem; a member of the Masonic
Club, and the Now and Then Association.



CHARLES NATHANIEL PERLEY, one of the

leading grocers of Danvers, Massachusetts, is an
eminently practical man in a business which, perhaps,
more than in any other, is exacting in detail. This
business has been in the Perley family since it was
first founded in 1800. Amos Proctor Perley, Mr. Per-
ley's father, was born in Boxford, Massachusetts, and
came to Danvers in 1829, at that time succeeding to the
business theretofore conducted by John Perley. .\mos
Proctor Perley married Sarah Felton Batchelder, of
Danvers.

Charles N. Perley, son of Amos Proctor and Sarah
Felton (Batchelder) Perley, was born in Danvers. Feb-
ruary 26, 1851. He received his early education in the
public schools of his native town, and was also gradu-
ated from the high school. He then entered the Bryant
& Stratton Business College, in Boston, Massachusetts,
making a thorough preparation for the business career
which he had anticipated since boyhood. He worked
with his father for a number of years, eventually suc-
ceeding to the business in 1885, up to which time the
store was known as the A. P. Perley Company. He
has since continued the business uninterruptedly at the
same location. No. I Maple street.

Mr. Perley has for many years been more or less
closely identified with the public life of Danvers. A
Democrat by political choice, he served two terms as
postmaster under the Cleveland administrations. He
has also served as selectman at the insistent demand of
his fellow-townsmen, and was honored by election as
representative to the State Legislature in 1902. Fra-
ternally, Mr. Perley is prominent, being a member of
the Free and Accepted Masons, and of the Knights of
Pythias. He attends the Congregational church.

Mr. Perley married, December 13, 1876, Ella Frances
Woodbury, and they are the parents of five children:
Bertram Procter; Marion Woodbury; Rollin Harmon;
Sarah Edith, who is the wife of Oscar Perkins, and they
have one son, Oscar Perkins, Jr. ; and Charles Nathan-
iel. Jr.



, PUBLIC UBRAR^




/r^.



vn-y>^




BIOGRAPHICAL



391



WILLIAM FITZGERALD— Coming to this coun-
try in his youth, and from that time on a resident of
Essex county, Massachusetts, William Fitzgerald, of
Lawrence, became a very prosperous and widely known
citizen. His death, on November 2. 1918, as a result
of injuries sustained in an automobile accident a few
days previously, was a great shock to his many personal
friends and business associates.

Mr. Fitzgerald was a son of Michael and Ellen (Finn)
Fitzgerald. Michael Fitzgerald was born in Ireland in
1800, and died in 1870, after about ten years' residence
in the United States. He was a man of quiet tastes, a
shoemaker by trade, whose chief pleasure was the relax-
ation of the family circle.

William Fitzgerald was born in Tipperary, Ireland,
on August 15, 1843. He came to this country with his
family, in .August, i860, after completing his education
in his native land. Arriving in New York City, the
family came to Massachusetts, locating in Ballard Vale,
in Essex county, and here William Fitzgerald began his
career. In every branch of endeavor to which he applied
his talents he was successful, and when he came to
Lawrence, in 1867, it was to bring his young wife to a
new home which he had built on Valley street. He
opened a small general store, which he developed to a
considerable interest, later going into the retail liquor
business. He prospered greatly, and acquired large
holdings in real estate, eventually developing a real
estate business, which was the principal interest of his
later years.

Mr. Fitzgerald was a prominent member of the Real
Estate Dealers' Association, and was an influential
member of the board of directors of the Lawrence
Trust Company. He was a member of the Holy Name
Society of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, and
was a leader in its benevolent activities.

Of recent years Mr. Fitzgerald had turned over much
of the responsibility, which he had hitherto carried, to
his son, who was associated with him in business, and
had spent the winters in Bermuda, or at Palm Beach,
Florida. He was exceedingly fond of travel, and had
several times been abroad, always accompanied by
members of his family, whose companionship he ahv.iys
sought when enjoying leisure.

On October 30, 1918, when motoring near this city,
the automobile turned turtle and Mr. Fitzgerald received
internal injuries which resulted in his death, on Satur-
day, November 2nd, three days later. He is deeply
mourned by his devoted family. At the time of his death
he was making preparations for the usual trip South for
the winter, his wife expecting to accompany him, as
was his unfailing wish. The sad nature of the end
added to the grief, which was shared also by many
personal friends, and his business acquaintances were
shocked to learn of his sudden death. He will long
be remembered by those who knew him as a genial
man, a fond parent, a devoted husband, and a generous
supporter of the church of which he was a member.

Mr. Fitzgerald married (first), on November ig, 1864,
Margaret Dawson, who died in early life. He married
(second) Elizabeth Farrell, on .\ugust 15, 1881, and she
still survives him.

Five children also survive him: i. Ellen J., now Mrs.
Robert Sheehan. 2. Mary L., who married (first)



Edward M. Cotter, who died, leaving a son and
daughter, William and Frances; she married (second)
Charles Smith. 3. John J. 4. William A. 5. E. Made-
line.



FRED PERKINS ANDREWS, who has success-
fully conducted a news and insurance business in
Georgetown, Massachusetts, since 1905, was born in
Topsfield, Massachusetts, January 3, 1871, the son of
Joseph E. and Mary E. (Chapman) Andrews, the
former a farmer, and of an old Massachusetts family.

Fred P. Andrews was raised in the wholesome envir-
onment of a New England farming home, and attended
the Topsfield Public School, Eastern District. Later
he took the course at the business college in Haverhill,
and studied English literature and expression at Hunting-
ton Chambers, Boston, Massachusetts. Entering upon
a business career, he was from 1892 to 1896 on the
steward's staff at the Hotel Sinclair, Bethlehem, New
Hampshire, and the Royal Poincianna Hotel at Palm
Beach, Florida. From 1896 until 1905 Mr. Andrews
was one of the executives of a Massachusetts shoe
manufacturing firm, but in 1905 he acquired the busi-
ness of C. E. Jewett, at Georgetown. He has ever
since held to that business, having a fine news and book
store, and a wide connection in fire insurance.

Mr. Andrews has entered actively into the functioning
of local fraternal bodies. He is past grand of Protec-
tion Lodge, No. 147, Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows, and of Haverhill Encampment, same order; mem-
ber of Bethany Lodge of Rebekas; the C. C. Dame
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, all of Georgetown,
Massachusetts ; and of Birmingham Lodge, Rochester,
New Hampshire, of Knights. He also is a member of
the Protection Club of Georgetown, and of the local
Congregational church.

Mr. Andrews married, July 27, 1910, at Georgetown,
Massachusetts, Mary C. Whitney, daughter of James
C. and Harriet R. (Austin) Whitney. They have two
children: Bruce Gibson, born May 23, 1912; and
Berenice Whitney, born April 8, 1915.



WILLIAM E. BURKE was born at Haverhill, Mas-
sachusetts, on April 8, igoo, and is a son of William E.
and Rose A. (Finnin) Burke. Mr. Burke's father, who
was a manufacturer of bicycles, died in I9i5- In addi-
tion to being a manufacturer of bicycles, the elder Mr.
Burke was also a dealer in them and an expert in
bicycle repairing. Mr. Burke's mother was a native of
Haverhill.

After graduating from the public schools of Haver-
hill, in which he received his education, young Mr.
Burke obtained employment repairing bicycles. He
spent three years in this work and then established him-
self in business. After directing his own establishment
for two years, Mr. Burke received an offer of employ-
ment with J. Ellison, which he accepted. He worked
for Mr. Ellison for two years and then, having had a
great deal of practical experience, decided to go into
the automobile repairing business. Accordingly, he estab-
lished himself in business under his own name at No.
301 Primrose street. He met with great success and
remained in business at this address until 1921, when he
formed a partnership with Mr. Arnold and moved to



392



ESSEX COUNTY



No. 22S River street, where, together with Mr. Arnold,
he is engaged in the management of a garage and
automobile repairing establishment. Mr. Burke is a
Catholic, and a member of the Knights of Columbus.

Mr. Burke married Lolalia Arnold, of Nova Scotia,
in 1920, daughter of John E. Arnold, a shoe manufac-
turer, and his wife, Bessie E. Arnold, of Nova Scotia.



WILLIAM J. YOUNG, in 1889, laid the foundation
of what is now the W. J. Young Machinery Company,
Inc., in a very modest way, as a manufacturer of a
special line of shoe machinery. For thirteen years the
company continued under his sole management, growing
in size with each year until 1902, when it was incor-
porated, and tlie name changed to its present form, the
corporators being : George B. Grover, president ; Wil-
liam J. Young, treasurer.

Mr. Young was born November 2, 1864, in Annapolis
county. Nova Scotia, son of Lindley Young, of that
place, where he was engaged as a shipbuilder until
1872, in which year he came to Lynn, Massachusetts, and
there resided until his death in 1895. Mr. Young's
mother was Sarah Durland, of Nova Scotia, and sub-
sequently of Lynn.

His family having removed to Lynn, it was there
that Mr. Young obtained his education, and his first
business experience was in the leather business as an
employee of the T. W. Tyler Company, of Lynn,
remaining for seven years, resigning in 1885 to engage
in business on his own account.

Two years later the quarters where the manufactur-
ing was carried on were burned and for eight months
temporary quarters were secured in a basement on
Willow street. Later the business was removed to its
present quarters at No. 416 Union street, and this
building was purchased by the W. J. Young Machinery
Company, Inc., in 1920. The machines manufactured
by the company are extensively used, in the United States
and foreign countries, in the manufacture of counters
and heels, and to their other work they have added the
manufacture of nails for boots and shoes. Mr. Young
is a member of the Chamber of Commerce of Lynn ;
also of the Lynn Rotary Club.

Mr. Young married, in 1889, Susie Sederquest, of
Lynn, a daughter of the late Rev. George W. Seder-
quest, and their children are: i. Edith Margaret, a
graduate of Smith College, who was later a student at
Simmons College, in Boston, for one year; subsequently
she was an instructor in commercial subjects in the
schools of Swampscott for two years, and at Burdett
College for a similar time. 2. Herman A., who is a
graduate of Bowdoin College, and enlisted during the
World War, in April, 191 7, in the United States navy,
being transferred at a later date to the Harvard Cadet
School, there attaining the rank of ensign. He served
overseas for two years as an executive officer on a
mine-sweeper, and received his discharge in 1919, with
the rank of lieutenant, junior grade. After completing
his college course, he became identified with his father's
business, and starting from the bottom, is thoroughly
learning the manufacture of the machines in detail,

Mr. Young and his family are members of the Advent
Christian Church in Lynn, and reside in Peabody,
Massachusetts.



ALLEN SHOW PRINT— In 1879 the name Allen
first became known in Beverly, Massachusetts, in con-
nection with the printing business. In that year the late
Irving W. Allen came to the city, a young man of
twenty, and established himself as a printer in the
Lafavor block on Cabot street. The enterprise, which
was started in a small way, soon outgrew its surround-
ings and was moved to the J. W. Porter building, sub-
sequently being removed to its present site, the second
floor of the Association building, at No. 91 Rantoul
street, in 1909; Eleven years later the founder died,
and the business was then carried on by Archer I. Allen
and Herman K. Allen, his sons. Equipped with all
modern presses, the company employs forty men who
are active in the printing of posters.

Irving W. Allen, the founder of the Allen Show
Print, was born at Essex, Massachusetts, in 1859. After
completing his studies in the local grammar school he
served an apprenticeship to the printer's trade, and in
1879, as mentioned above, came to Beverly and estab-
lished himself in the printing business, and during the
years that followed previous to his death, he conducted
its affairs most successfully, being recognized as a man
of prominence in the business circles of the city.

.''it the age of si.xty-one Irving W. Allen closed his
career, rich in fulfillment, passing away November 6,
1920, leaving as a monument to himself a successful
business, to the furtherance of which he had given his
untiring devotion and energy. Although he displayed
always a keen interest in the welfare of the city which
had been his home for many years, he remained strictly
aloof from public and political life, but possessed, how-
ever, the gift of making and holding friendships, stand-
ing high in the regard of many to whom his death came
as a deep grief.



CHARLES O. KELLY, Civil War soldier, well
known in Haverhill, Massachusetts, where he has lived
for many decades, was born in Salem, New Hamp-
shire, July 15, 1849, the son of Francis B. and Mary A.
(Vitturn) Kelly, the former a shoe worker and farmer,
and the latter a member of a Sandwich branch of an
old Colonial family of New Hampshire.

Charles O. Kelly received the customary education
afforded by the public schools of that period, and when
old enough began to work in the shoe factory of J. R.
Wheeler. Later he worked in the factory of Kelly,
Gifford & Chase. He was only twelve years old when
the Civil War began, but nevertheless he was a soldier
before its close. He enlisted in February, 1865, in
Company H, of the i8th New Hampshire Regiment,
and saw active service in Virginia. He was stationed at
Petersburg, that State, from March 27, 1865, in con-
nection with the pursuit of General Lee and his ulti-
mate surrender. That campaign ended the war, and
for some time after the assassination of President Lin-
coln, Kelly's regiment was stationed in the Federal
capital, and there, during the trial of the Lincoln con-
spirators, Kelly did provost duty. He was honorably
discharged from the army at Concord, New Hamp-
shire, on July 27, 1865. The ne.xt fifteen years or so
Mr. Kelly spent in his home State, employed for the
greater part of the time in shoe manufacturing. He
first came to Haverhill in 1881, although his residence



t THE NEW YORK
\ PUBLIC LIBRARY

r

I ASTOR, LENOX

I TIT.n EN FOUNDATIONS




\^-^.



BIOGRAPHICAL



393



was not continuous until 1883. After the fire in Febru-
ary, 1S82, he went to work for Furbur Brothers, but
later worked for J. W. Winchell. In 1889 he decided
to take up insurance work with John Smith, remaining
associated with him for some three or four years, until
1893, when he occupied an office with Mr. Smith's son,
but did business for himself there until he resolved to
open an office in the same line independently. He rented
an office at No. 174 Merrimack street until 191S, then
removed to No. 3 Washington Square, where, notwith-
standing his age, he keenly and successfully entered into
all lines of insurance.

Comrade Kelly belongs to Major How Post, No. 47,
of the Grand Army of the Republic, and he is a mem-
ber of the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church.

Mr. Kelly married, in 187J, Eunice C. Gardner, daugh-
ter of Jonathan B. and Martha Hobbs (Wilson) Gard-
ner, the former a shoemaker and farmer of Salem, New
Hampshire, and her mother originally of Pelham. They
have three children: Flora M. Crowell ; Lilla M. ; and
Agnes W. Nutter.



OSCAR FERN — Although not a native-born Amer-
ican, Oscar Fern has lived in America for almost
twenty years, and for more than eleven years has been
among the active business men of Newburyport, Massa-
chusetts. He was born in Sweden, on January I, 1886,
one of the eight children, four sons and four daugh-
ters, born to Johann and Caroline Fern, who were both
of Swedish birth. Johann Fern was a slaughterman,
and owned an abattoir in the city of Bjuv; he died in

1913-

Oscar Fern was educated in Sweden, attending the
public schools of his native place, and by the time his
schooldays were over he had received instruction approx-
imately equal to that possible in the high schools of
America. He was seventeen years old when he crossed
the ocean to this country. Soon after landing, in 1903,
he came to Massachusetts, and found employment in
the shoe factory of T. D. Barry, at Brockton, for two
years. He spent the next five years in the employ of
W. L. Douglas, of Brockton. In 1910 he came to New-
burj'port, and there for the next two years was con-
nected with the Ellis Shoe Company. For a similar
period he was connected with Dodge Brothers, but in
1914 he branched out for himself, or rather joined
another in a business partnership, the outcome of which
vras the firm of the Fern & Poor Company, established
in that year. The first plant of the company was situ-
ated at Central Wharf, but as the business expanded it
became necessary to seek larger quarters, which they
found on Merrimac street, where they still are. The
partners decided to seek corporate powers in 1915, and
under the reconstruction Mr. Fern became president,
and George P. Poor, treasurer ; there has been no
change since. However, in 1920, Mr. Fern became inter-
ested in establishing another shoe manufacturing com-
pany, that which took the corporate name of the Fern
Shoe Company, of which firm Henr>- T. Cutter is
president, and Mr. Fern, treasurer. The plant is at
No. 41 Water street, Newburyport, and the line of
manufacture, women's turn shoes, of which the plant
is capable of making 600 pairs a day. In the Fern &
Poor plant about 250 people find almost constant em-



ployment, and about 150 are employed in the Fern Shoe
Company factory. It will therefore be seen that Mr.
Fern has by his enterprise appreciably aided the dis-
trict. As to the product, it is said that an enviable
reputation has been developed by Mr. Fern and his
associates by reason of the reliable quality of their
product.

Personally, Mr. Fern is well liked among the busi-
ness people of Newburyport and district. He has not
entered much into public afifairs, but has advanced in
Masonic degree to, and including, the Shrine. He also
belongs to the Knights of Pythias, and to the Dalton
Club.

In 1913, at Newburyport, Mr. Fern was married to
Edith Francis Poor, daughter of Benjamin F. and
.\lvina (Card) Poor, of Newburyport, the former a
retail butcher of that place. Mr. and Mrs. Fern have
one child, a daughter, Thyra Alvina, who was born on
January 30, 1920.



JOHN W. GOODHUE— One of the leading men in
mercantile activities in Ipswich, Massachusetts, is John
W. Goodhue, who through his comprehensive hardware
business is identified with many branches of industry in
this section.

Mr. Goodhue was born in 1858, and is a son of John
B. and Sarah E. (Comery) Goodhue. He received a
thoroughly practical education in the public schools,
then at the age of sixteen years became connected with
the Isinglass industry, as an assistant in a Norwood
factory. Continuing for only one year along this line,
however, Mr. Goodhue then came to Ipswich and entered
the employ of Theodore Cogswell at his grocery store in
this town. For a period of eleven years he remained
with Mr. Cogswell, gaining a large fund of valuable
business experience. In 1886 he started in business for
himself, as a dealer in hardware, beginning modestly,
but developing a large and important business. For the
past thirty-five years he has been an important factor
in the hardware trade in this vicinity, and is still a
leader in his field. He handles a very complete assort-
ment of paints and oils, as well as a general line of
hardware and fine mechanics' tools, and modern farm-
ing tools and machinery, and gasoline engines, supply-
ing the needs of the rural districts. His store is ad-
vantageously located on Market street, Ipswich.

Mr. Goodhue is a Republican, and in fraternal affilia-



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 27 of 56)