Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 28 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 28 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tion a member of the Free and Accepted Masons; he
attends the South Congregational Church. He was
elected to the State Legislature in 1906, and served on
the Fish and Game Commission, and the Commission
on Counties.

Mr. Goodhue married Blanche R. Brown, daughter of
Augustine and Susan M. (Russell) Brown. They have
three children : Paul and Pauline, twins, born Novem-
ber 25, 1899; and John J., born May i, 1901. Paul
Goodhue enlisted in the United States army for service
in the World War, and became a lieutenant of infantry.



AMOS BREED CHASE— In the mercantile world
of Lynn, Massachusetts, the late Amos B. Chase is
remembered as a man of progressive spirit and genial
personality. Mr. Chase was born in Stratham, New
Hampshire, October 28, 1852, and was a son of Levi



394



ESSEX COUNTY



and Priscilla (Breed) Chase. After a thoroughly prac-
tical common school education Mr. Chase went to work
at the age of fourteen years, having been first employed
by a relative, Oliver Breed. In 1874 he entered the em-
ploy of Perley Mansfield, of Lynn, a prominent dealer
in men's furnishings at that time. Some years later Mr.
Chase bought out his employer, and since that time the
business conducted under the name of Amos B. Chase
constitutes one of the most attractive stores of its line
in the city. Since the death of Mr. Chase the business
has been retained by his wife, who keeps a general over-
sight of the affairs at the store.

Mr. Chase possessed a wide circle of friends in Lynn
and vicinity, and was a member of the Oxford Club.
For several years he was trustee of the Insane Associ-
ation, at Worcester, and was appointed by the Governor
of Massachusetts. He resigned shortly before his death.
He was often solicited to run for mayor of Lynn, but
steadfastly refused to enter public life.

Mr. Chase married Sarah A. Chase, daughter of
Nathan and Mary Ann (Thayer) Chase. Their son.
Prof. George Henry Chase, is a prominent educator at
Harvard University. He married Freda Mark, a daugh-
ter of Prof. Edward Mark, of Harvard University.
They have two sons : Thomas, and Richard Chase.

In the death of Amos B. Chase, a man of sterling
worth, in sympathy with all advance, dropped out of the
circles in which he had moved. He died December 25,
1918, but his memory will long be cherished by all who
knew him. Mr. Chase and his family had long been
members of the Universalist church.



WYLIE O'BRIEN, resident in Haverhill, Massa-
chusetts, almost continuously since 1892, and for more
than a decade the proprietor of a large express business,
as well as, latterly, of one of the largest storage and
warehouse enterprises in Haverhill, was born in Cum-
berland county. Nova Scotia, May 5, 1873, the son of
Joseph and Matilda (Chase) O'Brien, the former a
farmer by occupation.

Wylie O'Brien passed his boyhood in Nova Scotia,
where he attended the public school near his home.
After leaving school he assisted his father in the work-
ing of the home farm for about two years, then went
to Chelsea, Nova Scotia, and for six months worked
there for George Emery, who operated a mahogany mill.
In 1892 Wylie O'Brien removed to Haverhill, Massa-
chusetts, where, with the exception of a few years spent
in Nova Scotia, he has ever since lived. For fifteen
years after coming to Haverhill he was in the employ
of Carter, Russell & Company, owners of an express
business. In 1906 he went to Canada and for almost
three years was in Hants county. Nova Scotia, passing
that time in lumbering enterprises. Returning to Massa-
chusetts, and to Haverhill, in the fall of 1909, he
acquired by purchase the express business of John Cad-
man, taking possession and direction on December l6th.
He still operates the business, though not at the original
address. Soon after buying it he changed the trading
name to the Boston & Haverhill Express Company, and
his business address then was at No. 78 Washington
street. Expansion of business caused him to remove
eventually to No. 35 Wingate street, and utimately to



No. 93 Essex street, which is his present business loca-
tion. He also owns the Haverhill Storage and Ware-
house Company, whose warehouses are situated at Nos.
145 to 151 Essex street, Haverhill. He established that
business in 1914, and it is the largest and best known in
Haverhill and Boston for all storage excepting furni-
ture. Mr. O'Brien is respected for his energ>-, and by
hard work and good service has succeeded well in life.
On January i, 1921, Mr. O'Brien married Harriet
Smith, of Hartford, Connecticut.



ROSCOE S. MILLS— In the foremost group of
business men in Haverhill, Massachusetts, stands Roscoe
S. Mills, whose activities in the field of real estate and
insurance have constituted a force for civic and econ-
omic progress during the dozen years of his residence
in this city. Mr. Mills is a son of Elwin C. and Sarah
M. (Davis) Mills, his father long a prominent farmer
and contractor of Lebanon, Maine, and his mother a
native of Sandown, New Hampshire.

Roscoe S. Mills was born in Sandown, New Hamp-
shire, August 12, 1881, and receiving his early educa-
tion in the public schools of his native place, continued
his studies in the nearby town of Kingston, at the San-
born Seminary, gaining a practical preparation for his
future. Upon leaving school Mr. Mills availed himself
of the opportunity which lay nearest at hand, and be-
came a part of the great shoe industry, working in
plants at Sandown and Hampstead for a period of about
ten years. Not being satisfied, however, to remain
indefinitely as a unit in an organization controlled by
others. Mr. Mills came to Haverhill in 1910, and opened
an office, entering real estate and insurance brokerage.
His success was assured from the beginning, and with
the growth of his business he saw the possibilities in
an aggressive policy of expansion. Accordingly, he
established other offices, one at Merrimac, Massachu-
setts, and another at Hillsboro, New Hampshire, and
others in communities of lesser importance. His inter-
est centers in the Haverhill office, which is under his
personal management, capable assistants going forward
under his supervision. He handles general insurance and
real estate, and is a leader in this field in Haverhill, and
also in those communities reached by his branch offices.

A Republican by political affiliation, Mr. Mills has
never sought public honors, but has borne his part in
the public service when called upon to do so. While a
resident of Hampstead he served for two years on the
Board of Selectmen, and also filled the office of chief
of police, and other minor offices. Fraternally Mr. Mills
is well known. Long a member of the Knights of
Pythias, he has been through all chairs in this order,
and has been master of the Hampstead Lodge. He is
past state counselor of the Junior Order of United
American Mechanics, and is a member and past master
of the Hampstead Grange. He is a familiar figure at
the club rooms of the Pentucket Club of Haverhill, of
which he has been a member for several years, and
with his family he attends the Congregational Church.

Mr. Mills married (first) Carrie C. McNeill, of
Hampstead, New Hampshire, who left one child, Syd-
ney R., now a student at Haverhill High School. He
married (second) Mildred B. Osgood, daughter of



BIOGRAPHICAL



395



Charles H. and Francella (Eastman) Osgood, of Hamp-
stead, her father being a prominent merchant of that
place.



MOSES NELSON BOARDMAN, a merchant and
owner of a business established almost fifty years ago,
was born in Georgetown, Massachusetts, in 1846, the
son of Daniel and Mehitable D. (Nelson) Boardman,
the former of Newbur>-, Massachusetts, and the latter
originally of Georgetown. Daniel Boardman, who died
in 1891, was a soldier during the Civil War, and by
trade a shoemaker.

Moses N. Boardman's whole life has been spent in the
vicinity of Ckorgetown, with the exception of a few
years spent in Topsfield. Massachusetts. He attended
Georgetown schools in his boyhood, and after leaving
school his first employment was as the driver of a
butcher's wagon, which work kept him at Topsfield for
two years, after which he returned to Georgetown and
entered a shoe factory. On May 20, 1873, he entered into
a business partnership, establishing the firm of Board-
man & Nelson, and opening a general merchandizing and
hardware store at South Georgetown, the store being
situated in the Adams block, where the Union block
now is. Four years later he returned to Georgetown,
where he conducted a fairly successful business for the
the next fifteen years, then again going to South George-
town and opening a store. However, he returned to
Georgetown in i8g8, and ever since has been the owner
of the store he now is identified with, the business done
being an appreciable one in many lines, general mer-
chandise, hardware, paints, and agricultural implements.

Mr. Boardman has established some enviable records
in fraternal interest ; for fifty-three years he has been a
member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
belonging to Georgetown Lodge since 1868; and for
twenty-five years he has been treasurer of the George-
town Masonic Blue Lodge. For fifteen years he was
road commissioner in the Georgetown civic administra-
tion, and in several other ways has helped in public
affairs. He is a member of the First Congregational
Church of Georgetown.

Mr. Boardman married, in 1867, at Topsfield, Massa-
chusetts, Martha L. Leach, daughter of Thomas and
Louisa (Morgan) Leach, the former originally of Man-
chester, Massachusetts. Mr. and Mrs. Boardman have
one child, a son, Seth Howard.



PETER A. TESSIER, one of the leading shoe man-
ufacturers of Haverhill. Massachusetts, is the second
generation of his family to follow this occupation. His
father, Peter H. Tessier, was a native of St. De Moise,
Canada, and was engaged in the shoe business until his
death in 1903. His later years were spent in Haver-
hill. He married Annie Pennette, of Canada, and she
died in 1879.

Since the days when Mr. Tessier's father was engaged
in the manufacture of shoes there have been many
changes ; the expansion of the shoe industry during the
last half century has been amazingly great. Machinery
has replaced much of the laborious work originally done
by hand and this progress and increase has been so
regular and steady that it has not attracted the attention
and admiration that it is entitled to.



Peter A. Tessier was born September 21, 1877, in
Haverhill. Aiter completing the public school courses,
Mr. Lessier took a course at a business college and sub-
sequently entered the business of manufacturing shoes
on his own account. Mr. Tessier made a specialty of
women's turned shoes, which he continued for many
years under the name of the Peter A. Tessier Shoe
Compan)-. In 1905 he began to take contracts for shoes
and the increase of his business warranted the taking of
a partner. He entered into partnership with Albert U.
Bowdoin (see following sketch), and the firm name was
changed to the Tessier & Bowdoin Company. There is
no more resourceful business man than the manufacturer
of shoes, and one conspicuous feature of this industry
is that it grew to great strength through the operation
of natural causes.

Fraternally, Mr. Tessier is a member of the Benevo-
lent and Protective Order of Elks ; the Foresters
(Catholic order) ; and St. Jean Baptiste Union. His
church affiliation is as a member of St. Joseph's Roman
Catholic Church.

Mr. Tessier married, in 1905, Annie Aucalir, of Can-
ada, and their children are : Raymond A., Irene P.,
Louise M., Howard L., and Evelene R.



ALBERT U. BOWDOIN, of the firm of Tessier &
Bowdoin Company, of Haverhill, Massachusetts, prom-
inent manufacturers of women's shoes, was born April
21, 1878, in Rockport, that State, son of James W. and
Addie M. (Perry) Bowdoin. His father was a resident
of Beverly for many years and was engaged in the
nursery business. Mrs. Bowdoin was a native of Salem,
and died in 1914.

Albert U. Bowdoin attended the public and high
schools of Haverhill, Massachusetts, and at an early
age began to learn the business of manufacturing shoes,
one of the chief industries of that section of the State.
For twelve years he was with the shoe firm of Chesley
& Rugg Company, rising to a position of foreman.
Subsequently he was two years employed with the A. W.
Greeley Company in a similar capacity, and his third
place of employment was with the George L. Webster
Company. There Mr. Bowdoin remained for two years,
at the end of which time he formed a partnership with
Peter A. Tessier (see preceding sketch), to manufac-
ture shoes. They make a specialty of high grade turned
shoes for women. In January, 1921, a third member was
admitted to the firm, George W. Lawrence, of Haver-
hill (see following sketch), and the firm name is the
Tessier & Bowdoin Company. Mr. Bowdoin is a mem-
ber of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of
Haverhill.

Mr. Bowdoin married, in 1906, Maria A. Forbes, of
Seabrook, New Hampshire, and they attend the Bap-
tist church of Haverhill.



GEORGE W. LAWRENCE— Ample proof of the
truth that industry and ambitious effort will bring its
reward is found in the career of George W. Lawrence,
a member of the firm of the Tessier & Bowdoin Com-
pany, of Haverhill, Massachusetts, shoe manufacturers.

Mr. Lawrence was bom in Haverhill, September 2,
1883, and there attended the public schools. Immedi-
ately he went to work for the firm of Chick Brothers,



396



ESSEX COUNTY



starting in the cutting room. Although practically every
portion of the shoe is made by machinery, each individ-
ual workman does a part of the construction, and before
it is completed the shoe passes through several hands.
In this way it is possible to go through the dilTerent
departments and thus acquire a wide knowledge of the
manufacture. Such was the idea in the mind of Mr.
Lawrence, who realized that before he could command
a position of trust and responsibility he must first prove
his worth. Consequently, he resigned after five years
to accept a position as assistant foreman of the lining
room of the S. S. Ruddock Company. There he
remained for two years, then went to Derry, New
Hampshire, where he was in charge of the trimming
room of the F. M. Hodson Company. After a year Mr.
Lawrence returned to Haverhill and entered the employ
of the Chesley & Rugg Company. All the while Mr.
Lawrence was gaining a broader knowledge of the
industry and adding to his experience, and after a year
with the above firm, was associated with the Cushman
& Hibbert Company in a similar capacity. The next
firm to employ Mr. Lawrence was the Haseltine &
Colby Company ; he rose from foreman to assistant
superintendent, but in 1916, resigned this place to accept
a better one with the Tessier & Bowdoin Company (of
mention in the two preceding sketches). He was super-
intendent of this company until i()2l, in which year he
was admitted a partner of the firm.

Mr. Lawrence's father. Napoleon Lawrence, was a
native of Montreal, Canada, and for twenty years or
more he was superintendent of the Chick Brothers Com-
pany, where his son first entered on his business career.
The mother of Mr. Lawrence was Mary McDonald, a
native of Nova Scotia.

Mr. Lawrence married, in April, 1921, Dorothy H.
Newman, of Haverhill, Massachusetts, and they attend
the Sacred Heart Church of Bradford, Massachusetts.



FRED W. GEORGE, prominent in the business life

of Haverhill. Massachusetts, was born in Newton, New
Hampshire. January 25, 1869, son of Ezra J. and Mary
J. (Rowe) George, of Newton. Ezra J. George was
engaged in the shoe industry until his death in 1899.
His wife, Mrs. Mary J. (Rowe) George, died in 1895:
she was a native of Franklin, New Hampshire.

Fred W. George attended the public schools and high
school, and then was employed by the Boston & Maine
Railroad Company for five years, resigning to enter
business on his own account, having purchased the busi-
ness of H. H. Story of Merrimac; he also opened a
branch store in .^mesbury. A complete line of sporting
goods was carried, and Mr. George spent ten successful
years in this business. At the end of this time he
resigned to return to the railroad work and for fifteen
years was baggage master on the line between Boston
and Portland.

In October, 1917, Mr. George resigned his railroad
position to become a partner of the Dutra Tobacco
Company of Haverhill, being associated with Albert P.
Wadleigh of Merrimac, each having an equal interest
in the business. The Dutra Tobacco Company is an old
established business of forty years' existence and is the
largest wholesale distributor of tobacco products in



Northeastern Massachusetts and Southern New Hamp-
shire.

Fraternally, Mr. George is a member of Bethany
Lodge, Free and .Accepted Masons, of Merrimac; River-
side Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; and
is a charter member of Maple Leaf Lodge of Rebekahs,
of Danvers. In politics he is a Republican, and has
served as tax collector of Merrimac from 1910 to the
present time, and is treasurer of the Republican Town
Committee, having served in this office since igi6. He
is also a member of the Haverhill Chamber of Com-
merce and of the Merrimac Improvement Association.

Mr. George married, in 1901, Gertrude W. Sherman,
of Merrimac, and they attend the Universalist church of
Haverhill.



JAMES PATTERSON, wholesale confectioner, of
Haverhill, Massachusetts, is among those successful men
who came from foreign countries to a new land and in
spite of the handicaps of the strange language, customs,
etc., attained a place among their new surroundings.

Mr. Patterson was born February 13, 1888, in Greece,
where he remained until he was twenty-three years of
age. At that time he came to America, locating in
Haverhill, where he found employment in a confec-
tionery store, remaining long enough to learn the busi-
ness and to lay aside sufficient funds to engage in a
similar business on his own account. Since the begin-
ning Mr. Patterson has been very successful and is now
in both the wholesale and retail confectioner's business,
supplying many of Haverhill's stores with candies and
other goods. He is a member of the Chamber of Com-
merce; the Greek Orthodox church; and is a staunch
Republican, taking much interest in the civic matters
of Haverhill.



JOSEPH W. MEEHAN— Two enterprising young
men of Amesbury, Joseph W. Meehan and Harold S.
Toggerson, are rapidly developing quite a satisfactory
business. The Auto Special Body Company, in which
enterprise the men named are partners, is equipped to
handle all kinds of auto-top repairing, and in the making
of special bodies, tops, painting and trimming, the com-
pany is showing expeditious and good work at their
plant, which is at the old pumping station. No. 248 Main
street, Amesbury.

Joseph W. Meehan was born in Amesbury, Massa-
chusetts, June 19, 1897, son of Joseph M. C. and Mary
Elizabeth (Ryder) Meehan. His mother was born in
Amesbury, September 8, 1873. and his father in New-
ton, Massachusetts, March 2, 1869. The family has lived
in Amesbury for very many years, and for a long time
Joseph M. C. Meehan, the - father, has been master
mechanic for the Biddle & Smart Company, carriage
manufacturers of Am.esbury. His son, Joseph W.
Meehan. was educated in St. Joseph's Parochial School
of Amesbury, and from there entered the .\mesbury
High School, from which he was graduated in the class
of 1916. Before entering business, young Meehan took
the commercial course at the Haverhill Commercial
School, and his first four years of business endeavor
were spent in the employ of the Biddle & Smart Com-
pany. He took up the executive branch of the work, and






\






^^h>J-^



.^■^"^o^i



.•s^^J;



^^t



BIOGRAPHICAL



397



v.as soon advanced in responsibility in the office of the
company. During the war he was in mihtary service,
and while not of draft age he enlisted in Company B,
Sixteenth Regiment of Massachusetts State troops, the
National Guard, and had the war continued into the
next year would undoubtedly have entered a federal
unit of the army, for he had passed examination for
entrance to an officers" training camp before the Armis-
tice came to put an end to all further military prepara-
tions. He enlisted in the State regiment in 1918 and
was honorably discharged in 1919, having then the regi-
mental grade of corporal. In 1920 he formed a business
association with Harold S. Toggerson, and the two
established the .\uto Special Body Company of .Ames-
bury, in which enterprise they are succeeding well.

Mr. Meehan is a member of the Knights of Columbus
of Amesbury, St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, of
Amesbury, and is a Democrat in politics. He is unmar-
ried.



BYRON HUNTINGTON SARGENT, a native of
Merrimac and one of its most progressive business men,
was born. February 26, 1882. son of Edward B. and
Ellen H. (Sargent) Sargent. The Sargent family is one
of the oldest Colonial families of that part of Massa-
chusetts, and residence has been continuous in the
Colony and State since 1634. as has been noted elsewhere
in this work {vide. Homer Roscoe Sargent). Edward
B. Sargent, father of Byron H., was much esteemed in
Merrimac, and was very helpful in many phases of its
affairs. He was in successful business in Merrimac until
his death, which occurred in 1901. He dealt extensively
in coal and wood, and was one of the substantial men of
the town. For fifteen years he was president of the First
National Bank, and for four years was president of the
Merrimac Savings Bank. His wife, Ellen H. Sargent,
was of Philadelphia.

Their son. Byron H., was educated in the Merrimac
public schools, and after passing through high school
he became associated with his father in the latter's coal
business in Merrimac, eventually taking over full direc-
tion of the business. He is now sole owner and manager
of the Sargent Coal Company, of Merrimac. the trading
of which is not confined only to Merrimac.

Like his father, he has entered much into the affairs
of the town, and has held public and .semi-public office.
For ten years be has been sealer of weights and meas-
ures, and is prominently identified with banking
interests, being president of the First National Bank of
Merrimac, and trustee on the investment committee of
the Merrimac Savings Bank. Fraternally, he is a
Mason and Odd Fellow, belonging to Bethany and
Riverside lodges of Merrimac, respectively. He is also
a member of the Commercial Travelers' Association,
and of the Oxford and Home clubs of Merrimac. His
church is the Congregational.

Mr. Sargent was married, in 1909, to Abbie W. Smart,
of Merrimac. They have one child. Eleanor S., who
was born June 28, igio.



before him, also his grandparents, and all have been
of that solid, industrious order that make for vigor and
progress in the life of a city.

Daniel E. Goodwin, father of Edward J. Goodwin,
was born January 21, 1851. .\t one period of his career
he was probably the largest dealer in milk and dairy
products in the town; he married Annie (Casey) Good-
win, of Newburyport.

Edward J. Goodwin, who was born twenty-three years
later to the day, January 21, 1874. was at first interested
in his father's vocation, but in later years branched out
in other lines. After varied endeavors he started in his
native town as a shoe manufacturer, in 1911. His
chances for success were not what one could call very
promising, for his total capital consisted of $150 and a
rather limited experience. His first place of business
was at No. 55 Wingate street, where he remained for
two years. Needing more room, he moved to No. 196
Esse.x street, which was satisfactory for three years, but
again requiring better quarters, changed back to Win-
gate street. No. 64, and again, a year later, to No. 83
Essex street, and again, after a year, to his present
location. No. 14 Walnut street. He here has extensive
floor space in a fine up-to-date factory and is meeting
an ever-increasing prosperity. He had as a partner for
some time N. H. Seldon. but is now in business solely
for himself. Mr. Goodwin's specialty for most of the
time was the making of infants' shoes, but in recent
years he branched out in the manufacture of ladies'
slippers for street and house wear. He has a branch
sales office at No. 113 Lincoln street, Boston. In 1921
there were in his employ upward of 100 operators, and



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 28 of 56)