Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 29 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 29 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the factory was finishing 3,600 pairs a day. Mr. Good-
win holds membership in the Chamber of Commerce.
He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks, and also of the Larchmont Club.

On July 28, 1896, Mr. Goodwin married, at Haverhill,
Massachusetts, Margaret H. King, daughter of Patrick
and Anne (Connolly) King, of Haverhill.



EDWARD J. GOODWIN— The name Goodwin is

well and honorably known in Newburyport. Massachu-
setts. Not only was Edward J. Goodwin born and
brought up there, but so w^ere his father and mother



HERBERT E. BAXTER— Among the carriage and
carriage body manufacturers of Essex county, Massachu-
setts. Herbert E. Baxter, of Amesbury, must be well
known, for he has been in the business for almost thirty
years, latterly as the sole owner of the Hinckley & Bax-
ter Company, of Amesbury.

Mr. Baxter was born in Martland, Nova Scotia, on
January 29, 1856, son of William and Isabelle (Middle-
man) Baxter, the former originally of Aberdeen, Scot-
land, and the latter of Nova Scotia. He was raised in
Martland, Nova Scotia, his father being a merchant
there.

In his boyhood Herbert E. Baxter attended the public
schools of his native place, and for about four years
after leaving school, worked for a carriage manufac-
turer near his home. Having learned the carriage-
making trade, he came to Amesbury. Massachusetts,
where for the ne.xt twenty-one years he was in the
employ of the Briggs Carriage Company, for the greater
part of the period being foreman of the plant. Later,
for short periods, he worked in other body shops in
Amesbury, but in 1914 formed a business partnership
with Arthur Hinckley, of Amesbury. The two formed
the Hinckley & Baxter Company, and were soon well



398



ESSEX COUNTY



established as carriage-body manufacturers in Ames-
bury. However, the year 1914 had not passed before
Mr. Hinckley died. Mr. Baxter then had to take over
the entire business, and he has been sole owner and
manager ever since. The business is an appreciable
local industry, and has brought Mr. Ba.xter well for-
ward in Ames'bury. He is looked upon as one of the
reliable substantial business men of the district.

Politically, Mr. Baxter is a Republican; fraternally,
he is a Mason of many affiliations, being a member of
Warren Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Trinity
Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Amesbury Council,
Royal and Select Masters ; Newburyport Commandery,
Lodge No. 3, Knights Templar; Aleppo Temple, An-
cient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; and
Merrimac Valley Lodge of Perfection. He also belongs
to the Knights of Pythias, of Amesbury. His club is
the Amesbury.

Mr. Baxter married, in 1880, Emily Morrill, of Ames-
bury, where she was born on March 4, 1849. She died
in 1918, the mother of two children: Elton B., born
May 12, 1883; and Maud, born May 11, 1884.



ANTHONY RALLIS— Very well known in Haver-
hill, Massachusetts, and a leader among the people of
Grecian origin, Anthony Rallis, head of the Rallis
Paper Company of Haverhill, has come into a useful
place quite early in life. He was born in Edremid, Asia
Minor, January 17, 1890, son of Christopher and Apho-
dite (Michaelids) Rallis, who were born in Greece, the
former a merchant, still living.

Anthony Rallis spent his youth in his native place,
Asia Minor, and was afforded education about equal to
that of the high schools of this country. But in 1906,
when he came to this country, it was necessary for him
immediately to study the English language, and also
other academic subjects. He attended the Haverhill
Evening High School, and later was a student at the
North Eastern College of Boston, Young Men's Chris-
tian Association. He entered business life as an
employee of Mr. Winchell, of Haverhill. Two years
later he became an assistant foreman at the Pentucket
Mills, continuing in that responsibility for about two
years. At different times he also worked for several
other local concerns before starting in business for him-
self, which he did in April, 1921, establishing the firm
now known as the Rallis Paper Company. His business
address is No. 50 Locust street, Haverhill, and he is an
earnest, capable young man. He has come somewhat
into public notice, and has the respect of his neighbors,
for he is a justice of the peace, and president of the
Greek Community. He is also identified with the Pan-
Hellenic L^nion of America. He also holds commission
as notary public. He is a member of the Greek Ortho-
dox church.

Mr. Rallis married, in 1913, Parthenopy Tatamany,
who was born in Greece, and they have three children:
Olympia, born in 1916; and their twin children, Emanuel
and Theopandros, born in 1918.



(Drolet) Bishop, of Sorell, Canada. They were married
in Canada, and there for some years afterwards Salaime
Bishop followed his trade, carpentry. Their children
were: William; Alexander; Edward; Louise; Annie;
Josepliine; and Charles H., of whom further.

Before the birth of Charles H. Bishop the family had
moved into the United States and settled in Haverhill,
Massachusetts, in which city the boy was educated. He
attended the public schools, and after his schooldays
were over, began the serious work of life as a tele-
graph messenger in the employ of the Western Union
Telegraph Company. For a year he filled this position,
receiving a salary of $3.00 a week. At the end of that
time he was able to find better-paid employment with
tlie Spaulding Company, of Haverhill. He served that
company for a year, and for a similar period was in the
employ of the Griffin Brothers Shoe Company, of Haver-
hill. For three years, thereafter, he was connected with
the N. S. Chase & Son Shoe Company, of Haverhill,
then followed a period of service in an altogether dif-
ferent line of business that of catering. He was with the
Hunt Corporation, restaurant owners, for seven years,
and after leaving that company was connected with
Fred Cook, in the same line, for six months, and for a
short while was working in the Life Saving Cafe.
Next he is found with a restaurant of his own at Salis-
bury Beach. He conducted it during the summer
months, and then returned to Haverhill, and for the
next eighteen months was connected with the Savoy
Hotel, of Haverhill. For a further five years he worked
in the Life Saving Cafe, and then again went into inde-
pendent business. He now has two good restaurants,
and is prospering. He was one of the organizers of the
Gelinas Wood Heel Company, of Merrimac, and is its
president.

Mr. Bishop is a member of the Roman Catholic
church, attending the Church of the Nativity at Merri-
mac; he belongs to the Catholic Order of Foresters,
Court St. Joseph. Also, he is a member of the Oxford
Club, of Merrimac.

Mr. Bishop married, September 20, 1910, at Haver-
hill, Marion A. Roberge, born in Sherbrooke, Canada,
May 10, 1882, daughter of Louis and Celine (Germaine)
Roberge, the former a carpenter by trade, and of French-
Canadian antecedents.



CHARLES H. BISHOP, restaurant owner and
president of the Gelinas Wood Heel Company, of Merri-
mac, Massachusetts, is a native of Haverhill, born there
September s, 1879, son of Salaime and Mary Ann



JAMES H. WALKER— One of the oldest indus-
tries of Essex county, Massachusetts, the Walker Body
Company, was founded in 1898 by George Walker, Sr.,
father of the present head of the company, and its
original purpose was for the manufacture of carriages.
Two years later the Stevens plant at Merrimac, Massa-
chusetts, engaged in a similar line of manufacture, was
purchased, and the Amesbury plant was moved to that
town. With the advent of tlie automobile and other
changes, the business was gradually changed to the
manufacture of automobile bodies, and in 191 1 a branch
was again established in Amesbury. Two years later
this part of the business was incorporated under the
name of the Walker-Wells Company, the corporators
being: George Walker, Sr., Harlan P. Wells, James
H. Walker, Henry Miller. With the passing of the
years the business has expanded to a large extent and
there are now four plants located in Amesbury, the



miV^^






fe^^NF^il^'^^i



^m,



'^iomi




WaJ^cyk^y^2AjU'a!^^r7^



BIOGRAPHICAL



399



scene of the original start, and the Merrimac plant has
been consolidated with the plant in Ames'bury. At the
present time the line of manufacture includes automobile
bodies and accessories, the latter being principally metal
stampings. The floor space covered by the plants is
four hundred thousand square feet, and the business
gives employment to eight hundred men.

James H, Walker, son of George and Georgina
(Hume) Walker, was born at Amesbury, August 24,
1872. He was educated in the public schools there and
the Bryant & Stratton Commercial College at Boston.
Soon alter leaving school Mr. Walker became asso-
ciated with his father in the carriage business, continuing
with the company until the incorporation in 1913. at
which time he was one of the corporators.

Mr. Walker has also taken a keen interest in public
matters, and as a member of the I^epublican party, he
represented that party's interests in the Massachusetts
State Senate during the term 1905- 1906. He is a director
of the Powow River National Bank of Amesbury, and
is interested in the Bryant Body Company, having organ-
ized same, in the Amesbury Lamp and Plating Com-
pany, and in the Powow Manufacturing Company. He
is an attendant at the Main Street Congregational
Church. In these relationships he ranks among the
foremost and esteemed citizens of .'\mesbury.



PATRICK CREEDON— In his long and active
career in the city of Salem, Massachusetts, Patrick
Creedon has filled prominent positions in many branches
of endeavor, always constructive, always progressive,
and always definitely contributing to the public pros-
perity as well as to his own success.

Patrick Creedon was born in County Cork, Ireland,
on December 4, 1861, and is a son of John and Nora
(Goggin) Creedon. He was educated in the National
schools of his native land, and at the age of eighteen
years came to America to build his future in the "land
of opportunity." He located first at Melrose, Massa-
chusetts, where he remained for two years, then spent
one year in Stoneham, also in this State. During this
time he was interested in various activities, and in 1895
he came to Salem. At the time of the big leather strike
he purchased the leather business of Timothy Calla-
han, and from that time until the present he has been
more or less interested in this line of production, first
as a manufacturer, and later in a jobbing way. He has
made many trips abroad in connection with this busi-
ness, and has a ver>- large following in England. He
has established himself so deeply in the confidence of his
clientele that if he cables any of his friends that he has
a line to offer, they order on the strength of his unsup-
ported statement.

At the time of the great fire in Salem, in 1914, Mr.
Creedon's plant was wiped out, and since then other
interests have so filled his time that he has not con-
tinued in the manufacturing branch of the leather busi-
ness. After the fire Mr. Creedon at once took a hand
in the rebuilding operations which demanded such a
vast volume of concerted effort to cope with the situa-
tion. He went into the re-inforced concrete business and
built many factories and dwellings in the devastated
district, also building his own residence. Furthermore,
he '-uilt a large garage, where he now conducts an



important business, and adjoining this structure is the
factory occupied by the United Tanning Machine Com-
pany.

In his garage business Mr. Creedon has recently
developed a wide-reaching interest. On his last trip
abroad he found a market for used cars and motorcycles,
and will, in future, send them over in large lots. Con-
nected with his garage is a machine shop, fully equipped,
where he puts these machines in perfect order for ship-
ment abroad.

In the public life of the city Mr. Creedon has always
taken a deep interest, although he has never been per-
suaded to accept public office. He is a staunch sup-
porter of the Democratic party, and has long taken a
leading part in the progress of the party in this county.
Holding as he does a prominent position in various
activities, Mr. Creedon may feel a large degree of satis-
faction in the fact that he has achieved all by his own
unaided efforts.

Mr. Creedon is an influential member of the Knights
of Columbus, and is a member of St.' James' Roman
Catholic Church. He has a brother, Peter, in this coun-
try, but his parents are both deceased, his father having
died in Ireland, after which the mother crossed the
ocean in her old age, and spent her last days with her
son Peter.

Mr. Creedon married, in 1894, Mary M. Brophy, of
Salem, and they have three children: Frances: Marye;
and William.



URDIX L. STAPLES— Among the men, natives of
Haverhill, Massachusetts, who have attained their suc-
cess within its confines, Urdix L. Staples holds a promi-
nent place. Mr. Staples was born February 12, 18S3,
in Haverhill, son of Edward M. and Arzelia (Glazier)
Staples. Edward M. Staples was a building contractor.

Mr. Staples was educated in the public and high
schools of Haverhill and subsequently entered business
college. His first experience in business was as a clerk
with the retail shoe firm of the George T. Evans Com-
pany, where he remained for seven years. He then
entered the manufacturing end of the business with the
F. J. Thompson Company, Inc. He worked upward
from an apprentice to superintendent of the plant.
After ten years of faithful and industrious service he
was made a stockholder of the company, resigning his
position in 1919 to become a partner of the Collins Shoe
Company, where he continues to the present time.

Mr. Staples is a member of the Chamber of Com-
merce of Haverhill, and fraternally is a member of the
Masonic order.

Mr. Staples married, in 1905, Myrtle M. Hayes, of
Haverhill, and their children are: Robert S., Dorothy
H., and Homer L.



ELLSWORTH J. CULLEN was born at East Bos-
ton, Massachusetts, in 1890. He was educated in the
public schools of East Boston and Somerville and is
a graduate of the Somerville High School. He began
his career in the business world by entering the service
of the Somerville Coal Company. When the Company
purchased the Danvers Coal Company, Mr. Cullen
became the manager of that branch of the business. Two
years later he purchased the business from its new



400



ESSEX COUNTY



owners and began to operate it for himself. He moved
to Danvers, Massachusetts, on September 17, 1910, and
seven years later took over all of the railroad tracks
owned by the firm of Pettengill & Divelly, thus estab-
lisliing transportation for his supplies of coal by land as
well as by tidewater.

The Danvers Coal Company is the oldest business of
its kind at Danvers. It was founded nearly one hundred
years ago by Nathaniel Merriam, and the landing wharf
upon which the coal is unloaded is still known as Mer-
riam's wharf. When Nathaniel Merriam retired, the
business was purchased by Warren & Hood, who, in
turn, sold it to Messrs, Lore and Russell, and from
them it passed into the hands of George Russell, and
later to the Danvers Coal Company, and thus to Mr.
Cullen, who now owns and operates it as the Danvers
Coal Company.

Mr. Cullen is a director of the Danvers National
Bank, and has been for several years a member of the
Danvers Finance Committee. He belongs to the Cath-
olic church, and is a member of the Knights of
Columbus. He is also a member of Salem Lodge,
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.

Mr. Cullen married Gertrude J. McKenna, and they
have two children: George Leo, and Walter Joseph
Cullen.



FERDINAND DUPRE— Many have come from
Canada to New England seeking their fortune. Ferdi-
nand Dupre is one of those who came and found it.
Always a man of quick decisions, he never hesitated
when opportunity presented itself— he seized it at once.
From a worker in a feed store to eminence in many lines
and many places is a long distance, yet Mr. Dupre has
been over the route, step by step, until now he has valu-
able interests in Haverhill, Massachusetts, in Portland,
Maine, and in Boston, Massachusetts, in Canada and
elsewhere, and is recognized as a leader in business and
in civics. His success has not resulted from blind luck,
but from the faculty of always being wide awake, of
seeing straight and clearly, of deciding promptly, and
then pushing ahead with indomitable grit and vigor. He
has earned that which he has attained.

His father, Francois Dupre, was a lumberman, land-
owner, and farmer in the Province of Quebec, Canada ;
his mother, Rosalie Sharon, was of the same province.

Ferdinand Dupre was born on a farm in the Province
of Quebec, November i, 1863. His education came from
the lower schools and the high school of his native place.
But he was not to be a farmer, so coming from Haver-
hill shortly after his fifteenth birthday, he went to
work for Joseph Dupre, a relative, as handy boy in a
feed and grain house. Soon he came to the turning point
where he had to decide whether his life should be spent
working for another or as his own boss. What his
decision was may be seen in the fact that he soon
became a partner in the business in which he had started,
and he began to organize or buy other interests, over
which he retained control. He created the Haverhill
Milling Company, and later branched out into the coal
trade with J. & T. Marin, at No. 262 Winter street,
Haverhill. In April, IQ17, the Haverhill Coal Supply
Company was organized, with himself as its manager
and director. This in a few years became the largest



concern of its kind in the city, with offices at No. 4
Esse.x street. This address is also the home of another
business of which he is general manager and treasurer,
the Broadway Realty Associates, Inc., dealers in real
estate and also in all types of insurance. He is general
manager and treasurer of the Bay State Brick and
Stone Company. Outside of Haverhill he is among
other things, part owner of the Lajoie Coal Company,
of Lowell, Massachusetts, of which he is president, and
a director of the Keystone Coal Company, of Portland,
Maine.

His popularity and ready helpfulness have brought him
into many organizations other than business enterprises.
For twenty-five years he has been a most valued member
of the Chamber of Commerce, both in Haverhill and in
Boston. It is years since he joined the Grange Society.
Some of his clubs are the Wauchesset and Rochambeau.
He is also a member of La Societe of St. Jean Baptiste.
During the World War. 191 7-18, he was one of the
hardest workers in the Red Cross drives for funds, to
which he subscribed most liberally.

As was natural, Mr. Dupre went to Canada for his
bride, where he was married, February 16, 1885, to Her-
maide Marin, daughter of Joseph and Adelaide (Val-
court) Marin. Of this union came two children: Henry
J., bom February 29. 1886, who was actively engaged in
business with his father when the influenza epidemic of
the war period laid its hand on him and he was taken;
Eva Josephine, born January 11, 1896, who is now the
wife of Dr. Lucien R. Cliaput, of Haverhill. Mr.
Dupre and family have been for years connected with
St. Joseph's Catholic Church, which has been the recip-
ient from his hand of many benefactions.



THURMAN LESLIE, treasurer of Sheridan Bros.,
Inc., shoe manufacturers, of Haverhill, was born in Dan-
vers, January 31, 1884, son of William H. and Mary Me-
lissa (Weaver) Leslie, of Danvers. William H. Leslie
was a Civil War soldier, member of Company B. nth
Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. In later life he was a
manufacturer of shoe he6ls, his plant being in Danvers.
He was a Republican for many years, almost from the
stirring days just prior to the Civil War when the party
came into existence, and he was a good Methodist. He
was twice married, five children, all sons, were born to
him by his first wife, and his second wife bore him
three sons and two daughters. He died in 1885, aged
fifty-four years. Mary Melissa (Weaver) Leslie was
born at Port George, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Thurman Leslie passed his boyhood mainly in Dan-
vers. He attended the public school of Danvers and
eventually graduated from the Danvers High School in
the class of 1902. Soon thereafter he began his busi-
ness career, and was in the employ of Arthur T. Way,
of Salem, Massachusetts, for two and a half years, there
gaining knowledge of the leather industry. Next he
worked for B. N. Moore & Sons, at Peabody and Bos-
ton, for four years, and for eight years thereafter was
in the employ of the F. E. Jones Company, of Boston.
He left at the end of that time to take connection with
The Clapp Tapley Company, of Danvers, shoe manu-
facturers, holding that connection until. May, 1920, when
he joined William R. Whitney in taking over the busi-
ness of Sheridan Brothers, at No. 92 Essex street. Ha-



BIOGRAPHICAL



401



verhill. The reorganization was successfully effected
and took the trading name of Sheridan Bros., Inc., of
which Mr. William R. Whitney became president, and
Mr. Leslie treasurer. They are still the executives, and
in direction of the company which has been well devel-
oped, the output of women's shoes (McKay) being now
one thousand pairs a day. The company has 15,000
square feet of floor space in its plant, and finds steady
employment for one hundred employees.

Mr. Leslie has not entered much into public affairs,
but at one time (1919-20) was a member of the Finance
Committee of Danvers. He is a Mason, and at present
worshipful master of Mosaic Lodge. He also belongs
to the Danvers Masonic Club and to the Boston City
Club. By religious preference he is a Methodist, mem-
ber of the Danvers Methodist Episcopal Church.

Mr. Leslie married, December 18, 191 1, at Danvers,
Massachusetts, Helen D. Smart, born there in 1885,
daughter of Willis E. and Ida M. (Webster) Smart,
the former a grocer. Mr. and Mrs. Leslie have two
children: Harding Bruce, born April 13, 1917; and
Hugh Dearborn, born December 20, 1920.



WILLIAM GEORGE NICOL TYRIE was born
in Scotland. July 31. 1883. and is a son of David and
Helen (Malcolm) Tyrie, who were both natives of
Scotland. Mr. Tyrie's father is a reed and comb maker.

Mr. Tyrie was educated in the schools of Scotland.
He began his business career by spending three and a
half years in the factory of Lowson & Company, then
deciding to learn the plumbing business, entered the
service of David McBeth, as an apprentice. He spent
six years in the employment of Mr. McBeth and then,
having acquired a thorough knowledge of plumbing,
went to the city of Kirriemuir, Scotland, and entered
the service of Alexander Reed. In 1907 he came to the
United States and settled at Haverhill, where for a
year and a half he was associated with the Haverhill
House Heating Company. He then entered the service
of McAree Brothers, remaining with them until 1913,
when he established a business of his own, the Haver-
hill Plumbing Company, at No. 28 How street. This
business he still directs with entire success. Mr. Tyrie
is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and belongs to
the Order of Scottish Clans.

Mr. Tyrie married, in 1909, Margaret Steele Nicol,
who was born in Scotland, a daughter of James and
Rose (Henderson) Nicol. both of whom were natives of
Scotland. Mr. and Mrs. Tyrie have four sons : David
William, who was born in igii ; Arthur Armistead, who
was born in 1913 ; James Henderson, who was born in
1916; and Wallace RoUey, born in 1921.



EDWARD L. DUMONT, although young in years,
has already attained success in his chosen line of work.
Through his own industry and attention to detail he
forged ahead and to-day holds a well-deserved place
among the business men of Haverhill, Massachusetts.
His father, David Dumont, was a native of St. Louis,
Canada, where he was engaged in the shoe industry.
In those days shoemaking in winter and farming in
summer furnished occupations to many men who were
thrifty and thus they provided themselves with corn-
Essex — 2 — 26



fort. The children of these parents were accustomed
to help in the work after school hours and it was in
this way that Edward L. Dumont first realized his incli-
nation toward mechanical ability. His mother was Eliz-
abeth Manseau, of Haverhill.

Edward L. Dumont was born May 31, 1887, in Haver-



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 29 of 56)