Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 3 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 3 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


blacksmith. He died in 1915. The mother, for-
merly Elizabeth Martha Connolly, was also of
Andover, born 1861, and now living in Lawrence.
She is a daughter of John T. Connolly, a native
of County Cork, Ireland, emigrated to America
and located in South Andover, Massachusetts,
where he became a well known genei'al contrac-
tor. He enlisted in the Civil War in 1861, and
served for a period of about three years. He h"d
quite a reputation as a writer of songs, both
words and music, especially songs for the vaude-
ville stage and labor songs. He was known as a
promoter of amateur theatricals thirty-five years
ago in Lawrence and the surrounding country. He
married Ehza Williamson, a native of Andover,
Massachusetts, daughter of Frank Williamson, a
native of County Cork, Ireland.

John Reilley Haverty is of Lawrence birth, born
March 3, 1893, and received the elements of his
education in the graded schools of the city, gradu-
ating from High School with the class of 1912.
Entering the Catholic University of Washington,
D. C, he spent three years, going from there to
Georgetown University, from which he was gi-ad-
uated LL.B. in 1916, then to Boston University,
where he was graduated with the degree of Master
of Laws in 1917. Admittance to the bar at Boston'
came the same year. He is now a member of the
Lawrence Bar Association. With this thorough
preparation and recognized ability, his association
in law practice was much sought and he finally
settled upon the office of John C. Sanborn, a
very eminent lawyer of the city, who died in 1920,
as the seat of his legal operations. With tlic
death of his associate he established other con-



nections, and in 1920 became one of the firm of
Mahoney, Haverty & Carey, conducting a general
law practice, with offices in the Bay State build-
ing.

Mr. Haverty has not forgotten the land of his
fathers, and is the forceful president of thd
Fi-iends of Irish Freedom Association. Much of
the success of this society is due to his wise
leadership. He is also vice-president of the Massa-
chusetts State Council of the Friends of Irish
Freedom Association. He is a member and advo-
cate of the Knights of Columbus; Ancient Order
of Hibernians, Division No. 8; the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks, Lodge No. 65; the
Merrimack Valley Country Club, and the Gratton
Club. He is an Independent in politics; was vei-y
active in the Red Cross, Liberty Loan and other
movements during the World War, also was on
the legal advisory board. Mr. Haverty is a
member of Saint Patrick's Church (Catholic) of
Lavirence.



GEORGE P. MORRIS— Prominent in the indus-
trial world of Essex county, Massachusetts, George
P. Mon-is, sole owner of the George P. Blorris &
Company leather factory, of Lynn, has built his
success upon broad experience definitely sought
with the purpose of preparing for executive re-
sponsibility.

BIr. Morris was bom in St. Louis, Missouri,
November 5, 1882, and is a son of Henry J. and
Elizabeth (Blertian) Morris, his father being a
prominent interior decorator of Roxbury, Massa-
chusetts.

Acquiring his early education in the public
schools of Boston, where the family then resided,
Mr. Moi-ris took up special studies through the
International Correspondence School, then entered
the shoe industry in Roxbury, remaining in this
connection for eight years. Realizing the great
opportunities in this and allied industries for suc-
cess, he mapped out a most practical course. Go-
ing to many different points throughout the East,
he worked in various shoe factories, studying the
general requirements of the trade, then, in 1917,
came to Lynn, and with this accumulated knowl-
edge one of his most valuable assets, founded the
business of which he is owner and manager, and is
now manufacturing fine leather for the shoe
trades and meeting with gratifying success. Mr,
Monis is a member of the Fraternal Order of
Eagles, and the Knights of the Maccabees, of
Binghamton, New York.

Mr. Morris married, in 1915, Claudia Berube, of
Lynn, daughter of Philip and Marie (Sampson)
Berube. Mrs. Morris' father was well known as a
road contractor until his death in 1893; her
mother was a native of Canada. Mr. and Mrs.
Mon-is have two children: Thomas H., and Marie
E. The family attend St. Joseph's Roman Cath-
olic Church, of Lynn.



OSCAR R. BODWELL— Long prominent in real
estate circles in Danvers, Massachusetts, Oscar



250



ESSEX COUNTY



R. Bodwell has for the past three years held a
leading position in the industrial world of Dan-
vers as president of the New England Electric
Lamp Company.

Mr. Bodwell is a son of David and Caroline E.
(Sanborn) Bodwell, long residents of this city.
David Bodwell was born in Methuen, Massachu-
setts, coming to Danvers as a young man, and
during his active lifetime was connected with the
shoe industry.

Bom in Danvers in 1866, Mr. Bodwell, as a
boy, attended the public schools of the city, and
acquired a practical education. For three or four
years, thereafter, he followed farming, then wa.s
employed in the shoe industry for several years
as shoe cutter. Becoming deeply interested in the
development of the city from a commercial stand-
point, Mr. Bodwell then entered the real e.;tatc
field, taking up, also, its customary allied inter-
est, insurance. He followed along these lines until
1918, when he became president of the New Eng-
land Lamp Company, in which capacity he is now
carrying forward the business of that concern
along progi'essive lines. Mr. Bodwell is a member
of the Free and Accepted Masons, and of the In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows.

Mr. Bodwell married Alice P. Turner, of Dan-
vers, and they attend the Danvers Highlands Con-
gregational Church.



JAMES B. ALLEN— Identified with the general
progress of Cliftondale in a very practical way
as a member of the firm of R. T. Allen &
Brothers, James B. Allen is bearing a part in the
prosperity of the county of Essex, Massachusetts.
Mr. Allen is a son of Stewart and Mary (Boothe)
Allen, residents of Hammond, New York. His
father died in 1914.

Mr. Allen vi'as bom in Hammond, November
29, 1884, and received his early education in the
public schools of that community, and attended
the Hammond High School, after which he had the
advantage of a course at the New York Ti-ade
School. Upon the completion of this course, Mr.
Allen came to Cliftondale in 1904, where his
brother Robert T. has long been at the head of a
thriving hardware business, in whose employ he
worked for some years. In 1916 the business was
incorporated, and James B. Allen was received into
the organization, in the office of vice-president,
which office he still holds. Under the name of
R. T. Allen & Brothers, this concern is doing a
very extensive business as dealers in hardware,
paints, oils and other supplies in this general
class, and they also do a vei-y considerable plumb-
ing and heating business, holding a prominent
position in their field in this section of the county.
In the public life of the community Mr. Allen is
deeply interested, and always stands ready to do
his part in every movement which tends towards
the bettering of conditions in the town of which
he is a resident. He is a member of the Clifton-
dale Board of Trade, and fraternally holds mem-
hership in William Sutton Lodge, Free and Ac-



cepted Masons, in Henry J. Mills Chapter, Royal
Arch Masons, and in Zebulon Council, Royal and
Select Masters, and is also a member of the In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows.

Mr. Allen married, in 1910, Grace M. Stone, of
Vassalboro, Maine, daughter of Jonathan and
Lillian (Holmes) Stone. Mr. and Mrs. Allen have
four children: Donald S., born in September,
1911; Norman S., bom in February, 1914; Roger
Blaine, born in May, 1916; and Philip Pei-shing,
bom in September, 1918. Mr. Allen has five
brothers and two sisters.



WILLIAM JAMES LEMUEL ROOP— It is in-
teresting to note that the operations of the New
England Sand & Gi-avel Company have been iden-
tified by scientists to be in the original bed of the
Ipswich river. Almost equally interesting is the
method of extraction, the company employing
rather unique methods for refining and commer-
cializing the sand and gravel. William J. L. Roop,
a civil engineer, is vice-president and general man-
ager of the company, and it is the public opinion
that a great part of the improvements and ef-
ficiency of operation is due to his initiative and
inventive ability. William J. L. Roop was bom in
Norristown, Pennsylvana, February 13, 1891, son
of William Reed and Barbara H. (Williams) Roop,
his father bom in Germantown, Pennsylvania, his
mother in Mansfield, Ohio. William R. Roop, a
railroad engineer, died in 1920.

William J. L. Roop was educated in the pub-
lic schools of Norristown, Drexel Institute of
Philadelphia, and the International Correspondence
School, of Scranton, Pennsylvania, primarily pui^
suing the study of civil engineering, later taking
coui'ses in telephone engineering in night school,
graduating in 1912. He entered the employ of the
engineer of Montgomeiy county, Pennsylvania, and
having had considerable experience gained by
summer vacation work, Mr. Roop soon won pro-
motion to the position of assistant engineer. De-
sirous of gaining training in business methods, he
resigned his promotion as assistant engineer, and
became an employe of the Bell Telephone Com-
pany, of Pennsylvania, as a draftsman in the
plant engineering department, and with that com-
pany and plant rapidly rose through successive
promotions to chief draftsman, specification writer,
and district engineer. But he was ambitious for
further experience and in accepting the position
as superintendent of a dredging and construction
company of Philadelphia, he entered a difficult and
comparatively new field of engineering, but he
met the demands made upon him and advanced to
the position of chief engineer.

During the war period 1917-18, he was identi-
fied with important constructive work under the
Emergency Fleet Corporation, and the ordnance
department. Later he opened private offices in
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as consulting and in-
vestigating engineer, so continuing until his ac-
ceptance of the position of general manager of the
New England Sand & Gravel Company. In 1921



BIOGRAPHICAL



251



has was advanced to fm-ther responsibility by
election to the office of vice-president of the com-
pany which was organized and incorporated in
1915. Mr. Roop's professional club is the Engi
neers' of Philadelphia, and he has numerous other
affiliations. He is a member of Sigma Phi of
Norristown High School, Pennsylvania; F. A. F.
N., an exclusive secret society of Non-istown;
Alpha Phi, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Beta
Chapter Omicron Delta, of Melrose, Massachu-
setts; is a thirty-second degi-ee member of the
Masonic order, a noble of Aleppo Temple, Ancient
Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of
Boston, and a member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows. His social clubs are: the Salem,
of Salem; the Boston Athletic and the Vesper
Country, of Lowell, Massachusetts.

In 1914 Mr. Roop married, in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, Martha M. Morehead, of that city,
daughter of Gustavus and Mai'cella (Andrews)
Morehead; her father, of a Virginia family, died in
1913, her mother, a Philadelphian, died in 1914.
Mr. and Mrs. Roop are the parents of two chil-
dren: Martha Jane, bom in March, 1917, William
Reed (2), born in November, 1920. The family
home is in Melrose, Massachusetts.



FRED L. MOSHER, prominent among the
younger successful business men of Haverhill,
Massachusetts, is a son of Lewis M. and Nellie
(Pinnette) Mosher.

After completing his education, he learned the
business of electrical contractor, and engaged in
this line of work on his own account, in 1911,
continuing successfully until his enlistment in the
army in 1917. On his return to civilian life, in
1919, Mr. Mosher took up the thread of his busi-
ness, locating at No. 5 White street, Haverhill,
and has added to his early success in the four
years which have passed, employing on an aver-
age eight men. Of an enteiijrising nature, Mr.
Mosher has ever been watching for favorable
business opportunities to enlarge his activities, and
in 1920 became a partner in the Haverhill Top
Lift Corporation, the other coi-porators being
Chester Paul and Joseph Samson; eventually he
purchased the interests of the latter two men and
is now the sole owner of the thriving business.
The plant covers 2500 feet of working space and
seven men are employed. Mi-. Mosher is a mem-
ber of the Haverhill Chamber of Commerce; he
was a member of Camp Utility, located at Camp
Devens, where he remained for nineteen months,
and was discharged, May 10, 1919, with the wai-
rant of sergeant. Fraternally he is a member
of the Knights of Columbus. He attends St.
James Catholic Church, of Haverhill.

In 1920, Mr. Mosher married Frances C. Fur-
long, of Lowell, Massachusetts.



was bom September 12, 1803, and died August 6,
1881, and his mother, Hannah (Boden) Green, was
born January 9, 1806, and died December 25,
1896.

Samuel Henderson Green was a salesman for a
shoe finding house and also was engaged in manu-
factming shoe counters and heels. He was well
and favorably knovsTi in Lynn, where he passed
his life and was always active in the public affairs
of that city. His fraternal connections were with
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and he was
a member of the Oxford Club. During his life-
time he was a regular attendant of the Univer-
salist church.

Mr. Green's ancestry includes several distinguish-
ed members, among them being his great-grand-
father, who was the pilot of the ship cai-rying the
Great Constitution into Marblehead; he was
wounded and moved to his position at the
steering wheel in a chair.

Mr. Green married Mary A. Wardwell, bom at
Swampscott, Massachusetts, October 31, 1854,
daughter of Ezra Holt and Rosanna Story (Blan-
chard) Wardwell. Ezra Holt Wardwell was bom
in Lynn, July 10, 1827, and died January 24, 1882.
His wife was bom in Lynn, September 16, 1831,
and died October 21, 1882. The great-grandfather
of PJrs. Green, Joseph Blaney, was upset in a boat
by a shark and swallowed in Swampscott Harbor.
He came from Blarney Castle, Ireland, the first
Blaney families settling in Swampscott in a house
built in 1641. Mrs. Green has a photogi-aph of
this house. Children of Mr. and Mrs. Green: 1.
Arthur Wardwell, born in Lynn, September 8,
1874, is a practicing dentist, at present in govern-
ment service in Washington, D. C. He served in
the Spanish-American War and also went to the
Me.xican Border in 1916. During the World War
he was in France, and was commissioned cap-
tain. 2. Jennie, born in Lynn, March 9, 1878, mar-
ried Arthur G. Stern, bom in Cambridge, Massa-
chusetts, December 19, 1876, jeweler in Lynn.

Mrs. Green has three grandchildren two, the
son and daughter of Arthur W. Green, namely:
Arthur H. Green, born in Ljmn, January 29, 1906,
and Marion Wardwell Green, born January 25,
1908. The only child of Mrs. Jennie (Green) Stern
is Henderson Arthur Stem, born November 28,
1916.



SAMUEL HENDERSON GREEN, for many
years engaged in the shoe industry in Lynn, Massa-
chusetts, was bom there October 24, 1850, and
died July 20, 1900. His father, Samuel H. Green,



COLIN DUNLOPE KERR— In various branches
of industrial and business activity the name of
Kerr has for many years been identified with the
history of Lawrence, Massachusetts. Father and
son, since 1868, have been prominent in tliis city,
Colin Dunlope KeiT, the father, having come to
this country from Scotland prior to that date, and
Albert L. Kerr, the son, (see sketch following)
having been a leader in insurance circles for the
past decade.

Colin Dunlope Kerr was bom in Renfrewshire,
Scotland, on June 22, 1846. The family removing
to Glasgow in his childhood, it was there that he
received his education in the public schools. After



252



ESSEX COUNTY



completing his studies he worked at the Kerr SUk
Worsted Mill, in Glasgow, Scotland, remaining
there until 1865, when he came to the United
States. Locating in Dover, New Hampshire, he
remained there for a period of three years, then,
in 1868, came to Lawrence, Massachusetts. Here,
in association with a brother, Peter Kerr, Mr. Kerr
went into the painting business, under the firm
name of Peter Kerr & Company. The brother,
Peter, retired from the concern in 1870, and from
that time on Cohn D. Ken* conducted the busi-
ness alone, until his retirement in 1910. In 1878
Mr. Kerr took the contract for the painting of the
shoe machinery made by the McKay Sewing Ma-
chine Company, of Lawi-ence, and was with this
concern during the remainder of his active busi-
ness career, a period of service covering thirty-
two years.

During his long residence and business activity
in Lawrence, Mr. Kerr has become widely known
in many branches of public interest. In 1888 he
became a shareholder and also a director in tiU
Lawrence Co-operative Bank. He has been chair-
man of the Security Committee of that institu-
tion for many years; a number of years aero h?
was elected vice-president of this bank, and later,
president, which office he now ably fills. He has
been treasurer of the United Presbyterian Church
of LavvTence since 1898.

Mr. Kerr is a charter member of the Lawa-once
Caledonian Club, and at present the member of
longest standing in that organization. He served
for three years as chief of the club, and has
since been its treasurer. He is a member of Tus-
can Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons.

On October 25, 1872, Mr. Ken- mamed Jennie
Hamilton, and tliey are the parents of two sons
and two daughters: 1. James A., now a resident
of Providence, Rhode Island. 2. Albert L., a sketch
of whom follows. 3. Mrs. Charles A. Robinson, of
Lowell. 4. Mrs. William R. Smith, of Raleigh,
North Carolina.



ALBERT L. KERR, second son of Colin Dun-
lope Kerr (see preceding sketch) was bom in
La\vrence, Massachusetts, on December 28, 1880.
He received a thoroughly practical education in
the schools of Lavin-ence, first attending the public
schools, and then the high school, and later taking
a course at the Manual Training School. With
this preparation in 1900, he began the work of
machine designer, starting as draftsman with the
Brown & Sharpe Company, of Providence, Rhode
Island, one of the leading machinery manufacturing
concerns in America. The young man's future
was most promising in this field, but in 1911 he
was induced to make a radical change in his line
of endeavor. Entering the insurance business at
that time in Lawrence, Mr. Kerr has achieved
marked success, and is now district manager of the
New England Mutual Insurance Company in this
district.

Mr. Kerr is a member of the Lawrence Life
UnderAvriters' Association, and also of the Boston



Underwriters' Association, and is an influential
member of the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce.
In public life Mr. Kerr is steadily gaining promi-
nence, and his ability and standing were recog-
nized at the last city election by placing him in the
State Legislature as representative of the city of
Lawrence.

Fraternally, Albert L. Kerr is widely known.
He is a member of William B. Gale Lodge, No.
140, Knights of Pythias, of Lawrence; of Enteir
prise Lodge, No. 22, Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, of Pawtucket, Rhode Island; and of
Phoenician Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of
Lawrence. He is a popular member of the Law-
rence Caledonian Club.

Albert L. Kerr married, on November 5, 1907,
at Newpoi't, Rhode Island, Jennie Burford, of
Pawtucket, Rhode Island, and they have two chil-
dren: Colin H. and Albert L., Jr. The family at-
tend the services of the Presbyterian church.



REV. JAMES THOMAS O'REILLY, since 1886
pastor of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Law-
rence, Massachusetts, was born at Lansingburg,
New York, May 1, 1851, son of Edward and Mary
(McGrane) O'Reilly. After completing the ad-
vanced courses of study at St. Mary's Academy,
Troy, New York, he entered Villanova College,
Villnnova, Delaware county, Pennsylvania, whence
he was graduated, class of 1871. He studied the-
ologj^ became a member of the Order of St.
Augustine, and on March 15, 1874, was ordained
to the priesthood of the Roman Catholic church.

Father O'Reilly was an insti-uctor at Villanova
College, 1874-76; procurator of the college in 1876;
pastor of St. Denis' Church, West Haverford,
Pennsylvania, 1876-79; pastor of St. John's Church,
Schaghticoke, New York, 1879-1886; pastor of St.
Mary's Church, Lawrence, Massachusetts, 1886
until the present (1922) his parish within the
limits of the archdiocese of Boston. Father
O'Reilly is president of the Catholic Total Absti-
nence Union, and deeply beloved in the parish
which he has served continuously for thirty-six
years, 1886-1922.



WILLIAM B. LITTLEFIELD— For many years
active in the industrial world of Lynn, Massachu-
setts, William B. Littlefield retired from all par-
ticipation in business twenty years before his
death, wliich occurred on May 4, 1921.

Mr. Littlefield was a son of Horace and Dorcas
(Shorey) Littlefield. Horace Littlefield was a
prominent wheelwright of Wells, Maine, in his
younger days, later also carrying on extensive
farming operations there. Both he and his wife
were of Maine birth. He died about 1897, aged
eighty-five years, when his son William B. was
aDout fifteen years of age.

William B. Littlefield was bom in Wells, Maine,
on the homestead farm, which he owned at the
time of his death. He received a practical edu-
cation in the public schools of his native town,
and with that foundation built his later success.



BIOGRAPHICAL



253



Coming to Lynn at the age of eighteen years, he
entered the employ of J. N. Buffum, on Union
street, then a small box manufacturing establish-
ment, also dealing in lumber. For eight years
the young man worked for this firm, gaining a
practical knowledge of the business. He then en-
tered into a partnership with Mr. Buifum, the
arrangement continuing for six years. At the end
of that time Mr. Littlefield bought out his part-
ner, and became sole owner of the business. He
formed a partnership with Mr. George H. Plum-
mer, and the business was carried on for manr
years as Littlefield & Plummer, and later Little-
field & Plummer Corporation. They greatly en-
larged its scope, and built a large new structure
for the accommodation. They took up the manu-
facture of paper boxes as well as wood, and even-
tually employed one hundred and fifty hands.
Eighteen or twenty years before his death Mr.
Littlefield and Mr. Plummer both retired from
active participation in the business, leaving it to
the younger partners, and the business is now car-
ried on as Littlefield & Moulton.

In the financial world of Lynn, Mr. Littlefield
was prominent for thirty years. He was one of
the organizers of the Manufacturei-s' National
Bank of Lynn, and at its organization in 1891, was
elected vice-president. Upon the death of the
first president, he was elected president of the
uistitution, which office he ably filled until a short
time ago. In fraternal circles in Lynn, Mr. Little-
field was well known. He was a member of the
Bay State Lodge, No. 40, Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, also of Palestine Encampment. He
was a member of the Park Club, and of the Ox-
ford Club, both Lynn organizations. Politically he
was a supporter of the Republican party, and wa^
prominent in Republican aifairs in Lynn, but al-
ways consistently declined political preferment

He married (first) Susan A. Gitchell. of V/elN
Mame, and (second) Horatia A. Littlefield, of
North Berwick, Maine, who survives him.

WILLIAM E. BIDDLE, prominent business man
and manufacturer of Amesbury, Massachusetts,
was born there Januaiy 1, 1883, son of William
E. and Zelma F. (Hodgkins) Biddle. He was
educated m the public schools, the Phillips Exeter
Academy and Harvard University, for two years a
member of the class of 1905. He then became as-
sociated vnth his father in manufacturing car-
nage parts and building carriage bodies. Mr. Bid-
die diligently applied himself to the mastering of
the business, and as the years passed was able to
resume greater responsibilities; in 1906, he be-
came vice-president, and in 1908 president and
general manager, now being in complete charge
or affairs. He has also interested himself in sev-



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 3 of 56)