Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 30 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 30 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


hill. Massachusetts, and received his education in the
public schools of that city. Soon afterward he learned
the machinist's trade at the plant of the Duplessus
Machine Company and there he remained for three
years. His next place of employment was with the
Briggs & Belmer Company, of Haverhill, remaining
there a year. An opportunity then presented itself to
enter the florist business and this occupation he followed
for a year's time. The automobile business was just
beginning to expand at this time and Mr. Dumont was
quick to appreciate the opportunities offered in this field
for a skillful mechanic and for four years he followed
garage work. With a thorough knowledge of the mech-
anism of the cars, Mr. Dumont sought a position as
private driver and after eight years was in a position to
enter business on his own account. At this time he
bought the J. R. Smith Company, of Haverhill, and has
met with success in his venture. Mr. Dumont uses the
same firm name which has become synonymous with
service.

Mr. Dumont's time is practically all taken in the care
of his business, so does not have much leisure for fra-
ternal affiliations or public affairs, yet he realizes his
duty as a citizen and is always willing to lend his aid
whenever called upon. He is a member of the Forest-
ers of America, and of St. Jean Baptiste Union.



ERNEST CLARENCE PRESCOTT, now in inde-
pendent business in Haverhill, Massachusetts, was born
in Salem, Massachusetts, August 22, 1869. son of Alden
J. and Lydia A. (Pettingill) Prescott. both of Methuen,
Massachusetts, where Josiah Prescott, grandfather of
Ernest C. Prescott, was also born. Josiah Prescott. a
Baptist, and by trade a farmer and shoemaker, married
Mehitable Carlton, and to them were born seven chil-
dren, four sons and three daughters, among them Alden
J., who was born in January, 1832, and died in 1896. He
was also a Baptist, was a Democrat by political prefer-
ence, and by occupation also a shoemaker. His wife,
Lydia A. (Pettingill) Prescott, bore him three chil-
dren : Julia A., born in Salem, New Hampshire, March
4, 1867; Winifred L., born in Salem, New Hampshire;
and Ernest C, born in Salem, New Hampshire, August
22, 1869.

The last named was educated in the public schools of
Salem, Methuen and Haverhill, in the shoe factories of
which places his father at different times was employed,
and when his schooldays were over he entered the employ
of W. F. and J. A. Blake, of Granite street, Haverhill,
as errand boy. He remained with them for five years,
latterly as shipping clerk, and at the end of that time
felt that he could enter into business for himself. He
did so, having a plant at No. 79 Washington street,
Haverhill, his branch of the shoe industry being cutting,
trimming, and perforating. Later he worked on a gen-
eral line of upper leathers, trading as E. C. Prescott.
Eventually, he gave up that business and went to South



402



ESSEX COUNTY



Carolina, where he remained for two years, engaged in
the turpentine business. He then went to California,
remaining for six years, where he established the Wear-
well Shoe and Repair Company, and this business is
still in existence there. He sold this and then returned
to his native State, settling in Haverhill, and for the
following two years was connected with J. L. Adams,
a leather dealer of Haverhill. In 1916 he resumed his
old business, that of leather dealer, and he has quite
satisfactorily developed his business at No. 140 Wash-
ington street, Haverhill, where he trades as E. C. Pres-
cott. Politically, he is a Republican ; he is a member of
Masonic bodies, also the Shrine, is a member of the
First Baptist Church, of Haverhill; and belongs to the
Pentucket Club.

Mr. Prescott married, in 1894, at Haverhill, Maude A.
Gregg, who was born in Londonderry, New Hampshire,
January 26, 1874, daughter of Walter F. and Ellen A.
(Spinney) Gregg, of that place, the former a shoe
salesman by occupation. Mr. and Mrs. Prescott have
one child, Pauline Z., born July 29, 1895. She was given
a good education, commencing in the elementary school
of Haverhill, and including two years of high school in
Los Angeles, California, and two years in Haverhill
High School, after which she was a student at Mount
Ida College, Newtown, New Hampshire, eventually
graduating therefrom.



SAMUEL J. DURKEE— One of the prominent utili-
tarian business establishments of Lynn, is that of Sam-
uel J. Durkee, dry cleaner of rugs, clothing, furs,
feathers, and every kind of fabric which requires this
method of cleansing or renovation.

Mr. Durkee comes of Nova Scotia stock, and his
grandfather, William Henry Durkee, was a farmer,
owning extensive lands there, and personally managing
his large interests.

Charles William Durkee, Mr. Durkee's father, was a
native of Nova Scotia, but came to Essex county, and
for many years was prominent in the construction world
of this section as a painting contractor, doing business
with his partner, under the firm name of Durkee &
Daley. He died in May, 1917. His wife was Mary B.
Corning, also of Nova Scotia. They were the parents
of three sons and five daughters. The younger son is
prominent in the laundry business in Lynn.

Samuel J. Durkee, elder son of Charles William
Durkee and Mary B. (Corning) Durkee, was born in
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, October 22, 1871. Acquiring
his education in the public schools of his native city, Mr.
Durkee, as a young man, became connected with the
Nugars Laundry & Dye Works, of Halifax, Nova Sco-
tia, where he learned much of value to his subsequent
career. Thereafter he went to Rochester, New York,
and there thoroughly mastered the business in which he
is now engaged. Coming to Lynn about 191 1, he built
a dry-cleaning establishment, taking advantage of all
the latest developments of modern science as applied
to this branch of endeavor. The plant is very large, and
in every particular conforms to the Massachusetts laws,
pertaining to the nature of materials used in the process
of cleaning. Twenty-three skilled operatives are em-
ployed, and they handle everj'thing which can be
cleansed by their processes. They keep four motor



cars busy, delivering work to all parts of the State. In
connection with the main plant, Mr. Durkee also has an
extensive plant for the distillation of benzol, which is
used in their cleaning work.

As a member of the National Dry Cleaners' Associa-
tion, Mr. Durkee is able to keep in the forefront of the
business, and he is also a member of the New Eng-
land branch of this organization. He is a member of
the Chamber of Commerce of Lynn.

With his large business interests, Mr. Durkee has
little leisure for outside activities, but is an active
worker in the Lynn Young Men's Christian Association.

Samuel J. Durkee married Minnie F. Wilmot, who
was born in Illinois, and is a daughter of William W.
Wilmot, who was for some years, a well-known painter
in Lowell, Massachusetts. Mr. and Mrs. Durkee have
one son, Walter Kingston, born in 1895, and now in the
lumber business in Grand Rapids, Michigan, with John
Blodgett. Walter Kingston Durkee was with the 201st
Field Artillery, in the World War, and acted as chauf-
feur for General Craig.



NORMAN BAINE DURKEE— Meeting one of the
everyday needs of the people, Norman Baine Durkee,
of Lynn, Massachusetts, is enjoying a generous meas-
ure of success. He is a native of Nova Scotia, and his
grandfather, William Henry Durkee, owned large agri-
cultural interests in that country.

Charles William Durkee, son of William Henry Dur-
kee, was born in Nova Scotia, but later came to Essex
county, where he became prominent as a member of the
firm of painting contractors, Durkee & Daley. He mar-
ried Mary B. Corning, and died in May, 1917.

Norman Baine Durkee, son of Charles William and
Mary B. (Corning) Durkee, was born in Hebron, Nova
Scotia, January 30, 1877. Coming to Lynn at the age
of ten years, he completed in the public schools of
Lynn, the education which had been begun in his native
town. At the age of twenty-one he started in the
laundry business with James W. Whyte, in Lynn, con-
tinuing this partnership for a period of seven years.
In i8g8 Mr. Durkee founded the present business, of
which he has always been sole proprietor. In addition
to wet wash and regular laundry work, he handles the
cleaning of rugs and various articles. For some time
he also owned a plant in Peabody, Massachusetts, but
several years ago sold that plant to his brother-in-law,
Edward K. Roche, who still carries on the business.
Mr. Durkee has since devoted his entire attention to
the Lynn interests, developing one of the most up-to-date
plants in this section, which he built especially for the
purpose. This comprises commodious buildings, with the
most modern equipment, in which about thirty-eight
workers are regularly employed.

Mr. Durkee is one of eight children, and is the
youngest son of the family of three sons and five
daughters. His brother, Samuel J. Durkee, whose life
is reviewed in preceding sketch, is in an allied busi-
ness in this city, being a specialist in dry-cleaning. Of
the five sisters, all are living but one.

In various interests Mr. Durkee is well known. He
is a member of the Lynn Chamber of Commerce, and
of the National Laundrymen's Association. In frater-
nal circles he is well known, being a member of Golden





'A^AftjJ'-







i-i^^^






BIOGRAPHICAL



403



Fleece Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Lynn, and
of the East Lynn Lodge, Independent Order of Odd
Fellows. He is also a member of the Masonic Club.
Politically Mr. Durkee supports the Republican party.
He is a trustee of both St. Luke's and the Broadway
Methodist Episcopal churches.

On March ig, 1897, Mr. Durkee married Lottie Isabel
Roberts, daughter of Thomas C. and Nettie (Latham)
Roberts, whose father was for some time a prominent
Lynn grocer. Mr. and Mrs. Durkee have two sons and
one daughter: Elmer Laurence, born August 23, i8gg;
Harold Norman, born June 3, 1902; and Annette Es-
telle, born January 7, 1905. The younger son is now a
student at the Middleburg Academy.



ULYSSES M. CORSON, chief of police of Swamp-
scott, Massachusetts, was born June 18, 1864, at Dover,
same State, son of Martin Van Buren and Emeline M.
(Sleeper) Corson, and at the age of two years was
brought by his parents to Haverhill, Massachusetts,
where he attended the public schools. Soon after leav-
ing school Mr. Corson engaged in the meat and pro-
vision business for himself, continuing thus employed
for five years, and then became a shoe cutter, which
occupation he followed for fourteen years, becoming
foreman of the cutting room for one of the large Haver-
hill manufacturers. In igo2 Mr. Corson settled in Lynn,
where he followed shoe cutting, and in 1906 removed to
Swampscott, where the following year he was appointed
to the office of chief of police, an office he has since
held, discharging his duties in a most able manner.

Fraternally. Mr. Corson is a member of the Knights
of Pythias; the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks; Improved Order of Red Men; Massachusetts
Chiefs' Association; and the International Chiefs'
Association.

Mr. Corson married. April 14, 1889, Bessie C. Moore,
daughter of Clinton S. Moore, of Allentown, New Hamp-
shire, and they attend the Universalist church.



FRANK E. YOUNG, who has lived very many years
ill Haverhill, Massachusetts, and for the greater part of
his business life has been identified with the shoe and
leather industries of Massachusetts, was born in Deer-
field. New Hampshire, July 18, 1854, son of Joseph and
Josephine (Hall) Young. His mother was of a Can-
dia. New Hampshire, family, and died in 1898, but his
father was of Deerfield, New Hampshire, though later
of Candia, and then of Haverhill, Massachusetts. He
was in the shoe manufacturing business almost until
the year of his death, 1907.

Frank E. Young was educated in the public schools
of Candia, and after leaving school, went to work for
his father, in whose plant he remained for twelve years,
then, coming to Haverhill, he found responsible em-
ployment in the factory of the Thing & Ricker Company,
which firm he served for three years. He next worked
for the C. T. Ford Company, of Haverhill, and remained
with them for two years. Next, for a year, he was with
E. C. Dow, after which he became foreman for the
James R. Thing Company. Working in that capacity,
and for the same company, he passed seven years, by
which time he had accumulated sufficient capital to
vesture into business for himself. He formed business



partnership with Joseph Carr, of Haverhill, and the
two established the firm of F. E. Young Company, of
Haverhill. Their line of manufacture was soles and
top-lifts, and for a year the partnership continued, Mr.
Carr then selling his interest to Frank E. Watson, the
firm name then being changed to the Watson, Young
Company, and as such the business was conducted for
five years. With the dissolution of partnership then,
Mr. Young took over the plant, and for the next twelve
years carried it on alone. Indeed, he added to it the
plant of the J. H. Summer Company, which he acquired.
At the end of that time, however, he had made up his
mind to retire altogether from business, and with that
object in view, sold both plants to John C. Hill. For
the next two years he was out of business altogether,
and during the period was not in good health. He
decided to reenter business, and accepted an offer made
by the Chapman Tap and Counter Company, of Haver-
hill. For two years he was superintendent of their plant,
and then once again went into business for himself, in
his old line, soles and top-lifts. .As such, he has con-
tinued actively to produce to the present.

Mr. Young is a member of the Haverhill Chamber of
Commerce, and having lived so long in the place, is nat-
urally interested in its general affairs. He is a Baptist,
member of the Freewill Baptist Church, of Haverhill.

Mr. Young married, in 1878, .\nnie L. Bartlette, of
Northwood, New Hampshire.



GEORGE M. TOBIAS, proprietor of the Tobias
Printing Company, of Haverhill, Massachusetts, has
attained his success through his own intelligently directed
efforts. Mr. Tobias was born April 22. 1895, in Russia,
son of Moses Tobias, a lawyer of that country. He was
educated in the public schools, and in 1910 came to
America. The printing business was his first occupa-
tion, and for four years he worked at this business as
salesman in Lynn, Massachusetts. In the latter year he
went to Haverhill and started in business for himself,
doing all his work with a hand press. In 1919 he pur-
chased the Fred V. Hooke Printing Plant, one of the
oldest firms in Haverhill, and the business is now con-
ducted under the name of the Tobias Printing Com-
pany. Mr. Tobias prints in six different languages, and
his plant is up-to-date in equipment.



THE LINDSEY & HALL COMPANY, of which
C. Irving Lindsey is the head, is one of the many
important firms which are intimately identified with the
great shoe industry. This business was founded in
1884 by the late George A. Bodwell, who developed a
thriving interest, and later admitted as a partner W.
Howard McConnell, who took full charge after the
death of Mr. Bodwell, which occurred in November of
1908. For three years Mr. McConnell carried the affairs
of the concern forward successfully, then his own
untimely death, in 191 1, again brought changes.

In March, of igi2, the present concern purchased this
business, but no change was made in the name for about
four years, except such as to indicate its incorporation,
and as George A. Bodwell & Company. Inc., the concern
constantly became a greater and more significant force
in its field of activity. On February I, 1916. the name
of the corporation was changed to the Lindsey & Hall



404



ESSEX COUNTY



Company, with C. Irving Lindsey as president and gen-
eral manager.

For more tlian thirty-six years the business has been
in continuous operation, manufacturing a very com-
plete Hne of high grade men's and women's cut soles,
and deahng in those forms of sole leather offal known
to the trade as bends, strips, butts, etc. During all
these years, up to April, 1920, the concern has been
located at Nos. iii and 113 Oxford street, but in Janu-
ary of 1920 the present modern, five-story brick build-
ing at No. 93 Willow street was purchased and com-
pletely remodeled, and on April ist of that year the
concern moved in. They now occupy the extensive
lower floors of the building. This concern has built up
an enviable reputation for reliability and fair dealing,
and in every respect is still going forward.



GIRDLER STACEY— In the passing of Mr. Stacey,
one of the leading citizens of Marblehead, Massachu-
setts, the community lost a man of many activities, and
one always progressive, abreast of the times, and inter-
ested broadly in the welfare of the people.

Mr. Stacey was born in Marblehead, August 10, 1857,
and received his education in the public schools of the
town. At the age of fifteen years he entered the employ
of James Grader, who conducted a wholesale confec-
tionery store in Marblehead at that time. He continued
with Mr. Grader until the latter retired, when he became
proprietor of the store. Later he took up the manu-
facture of fine confectionery, and from that time on
made his own product. In all he was connected with
the confectionery business for a period of forty-three
years, and during that time never changed his location,
occupying until his death the building in which, as a
boy, he first went to work.

Mr. Stacey was a man of tireless industry, filling
every moment with some progressive activity. In con-
nection with his main business interest he also carried on
other matters. For many years he was a Marblehead
operator for the Western Union Telegraph Company,
and for thirty-six years was manager for the company at
the Marblehead station, retiring from that office about
five years ago. He also acted as Marblehead reporter
for the Boston "Herald."

In the public life of the city Mr. Stacey was a force
for progress. A staunch supporter of the Republican
party, he nevertheless refused consistently to counten-
ance any act or move which sacrificed the people for
the party. He served for many years as a member of
the Republican Town Committee. He was long a mem-
ber of the Marblehead Board of Health, and for years
its chairman, also at one time serving as clerk of the
board. He was a director of the Marblehead Savings
Bank, and served as a member on the board of electric
light commissioners. He attained more than local note
as a weather expert, few people in this vicinity being
able to compete with him in accuracy of forecast.

Mr. Stacey was a member of the Free and Accepted
Masons, also of the Royal Arch Masons, of Salem,
Massachusetts, and was a director of the Young Men's
Christian Association. He was a devout member of
Old North Congregational Church, and was for years
a worker in the Old North Men's Club.

In 1882 Mr. Stacey married Annie B. Felton, and



their daughter, Alice A., is now Mrs. Stewart, of
Marblehead. Besides his wife and daughter, Mr. Stacey
is survived by a brother, Louis Stacey, and three sis-
ters: Mrs. Theodore Brown, of Melrose; Mrs. Jennie
Gage, of Haverhill; and Mrs. Nellie Harris, of Mans-
field. Mr. Stacey died February 7, 1921, and his death
left a vacant place in many circles. His memory will
long be cherished in Marblehead by the many friends
he left behind, as well as by the members of his family.



JOSEPH HONORE CHOUINARD— .\ successful
merchant and business man of Salem, Massachusetts,
where he is engaged in business as an optometrist, opti-
cian and jeweler, is a native of Quebec, Canada, where
his birth occurred July 7, 1888. He is the son of Hermel
and Emma (Bourgault) Chouinard. To Mr. and Mrs.
Hermel Chouinard have been born fourteen children,
among them Joseph Honore, of further mention ; John
T., a contractor at East Jafifrey, New Hampshire; Omer,
associated with John T. in business ; and Adelard, now
residing with Joseph Honore.

Joseph Honore Chouinard received the elementary
portion of his education in the public schools of his
native place and St. Anne de la Pocatiere College, then
he entered the university at Laval, where he took a two
years' course in civil engineering and a six months'
course in optometry. In 1909 he moved with his parents
to East Jaffrey, New Hampshire, and worked for a
short time there, subsequently coming to Salem, Massa-
chusetts, where he passed the State board examinations
on' optometry in 1912, and worked at his profession for
the .following two years with J. E. Cheney, after which
being desirous of establishing himself in business, he
opened his office at No. 112 Lafayette street, where the
business was burned out in 1914. He reopened at No.
120 Lafayette street, after the rebuilding. Here he car-
ries a high grade line of jewelry and photographers'
supplies, and at the same time conducts a successful
business as an optometrist, his establishment being the
last word in modern ec|uipment. It has been due exclu-
sively to his own efforts that his business has grown
to its present large proportions, and he is looked upon
by his associates and fellow-citizens as a most capable
business man and successful merchant.

In politics Mr. Chouinard is a Republican, but is no
office seeker. He has always taken an active interest
in charitable and philanthropic work, and during the
World War was a devoted worker in the drives which
the Red Cross made. He is a member of the Massa-
chusetts Opticians' Association, and affiliates with the
Young Men's Christian Association, and La Societe St.
Jean the Baptiste of America. In religion he is a
Roman Catholic and attends St. Joseph's Roman Cath-
olic Church of Salem.

In January 6, 1914, Mr. Chouinard married (first)
Elizabeth Lantin, who died July 26, 1918. To Mr. and
Mrs. Chouinard were born three children: Conrade;
Loretta; and Joseph H.. Jr. Mr. Chouinard married
(second). May 16, 1921, Mila Vanasse, and they reside
at No. 16 Willow avenue.



HENRY I. YALE. D. M. D.— Among the profes-
fessional men of Peabody, Massachusetts, Dr. Henry
I. Yale admittedly occupies a leading place, gained



BIOGRAPHICAL



405



through natural ability, combined with close application
and perseverance, factors that have contributed most in
this country toward making our successful men, for a
man's material inheritance may be squandered without
leaving him better, but what he gains through his own
efiforts has a double blessing attached, from the value of
the possession and the benefit of the experience to the
spiritual and mental growth of the possessor.

Henry I. Yale was born in Salem, Massachusetts,
March 16, 1888, the son of P. Henry and Georgiana
(Alywin) Yale. He was amply fitted by preliminary
educaticm in the public schools of his native place, and
after deciding upon the profession of dentistry for his
career he entered the Medical Department of Tufts
College, from which he was graduated in 1914, with the
degree of Doctor of Medical Dentistry, and that same
year passed the Massachusetts State board examinations.
In the latter part of 1914 Dr. Yale came to Peabody and
opened an office on his own account at No. 18 Main
street, where he has since continued. Here he has
developed a large and high class practice, so that he is
now regarded as among the leaders of his profession in
this community.

Besides his professional activities Dr. Yale is an
energetic participant in the public life of Peabody, and
is well known in many different departments of its
affairs. In politics he is an Independent. He is also
prominent in fraternal and social circles here, and is
affiliated with a large number of organizations of dif-
ferent character. He is a memter of the various pro-
fessional organizations, including the American Dental
Association, member and secretary of the North Eastern
Massachusetts Dental Society, the Peabody Dental
Society, Tufts Alumni, Psi Omega fraternity, and out-
side of these he belongs to the local order of the Knights
of Columbus, the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, and the Rotary Club. In religion he is a Roman
Catholic and attends St. John's Roman Catholic Church
of Peabody.

Dr. Yale married (first), on July 27, 1916, Margaret
J. Conwell, who died September 16, 1918, leaving one
son, Arthur A, Dr. Yale married (second) Doris A.



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 30 of 56)