Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 31 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 31 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Fellows, daughter of George and Eunice (Trask)
Fellows.



JOHN D. DODGE — As president and manager of
the Lawrence Knitting Company of Methuen, Massa-
chusetts. John D. Dodge holds a place among the
leading business men of the town. He was born
December 2;}, 1849, at Francestown, New Hampshire,
son of William B. Dodge, also of Francestown, where
he was a mason by trade, and Rebecca (Patch) Dodge.
The former died in 1865, and the latter in i860. After
attending the public schools of Francestown, Mr. Dodge
entered the employ of the Ipswich Mills Company, con-
tinuing there until he engaged in business for himself.

The Lawrence Hosiery Company was founded by
Wendell & Mellidge, and they were succeeded by Mr.
Dodge and his partners, James Ingalls and G. E. Foss.
In 1890 the business was carried on under the name of
the Methuen Knitting Company, continuing for four
years, until the death of Mr. Ingalls. At this time Mr.
Dodge purchased Mr. Foss's interests, and in 1898
formed a corporation under the name of the Lawrence



Knitting Company, for the manufacturing of hosiery,
and he became president and manager of the company,
and George Hunting, treasurer. This arrangement has
continued to the present time and a large volume of
•business is carried on, the product being shipped all
over the country. Fraternally Mr. Dodge is a member
of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and
is active in municipal affairs in Methuen.

Mr. Dodge married, September 3, 1871, Helen A.
Manson, of Kittery, Maine, and the following children
were born to them: Effie L., wife of Earnest Munroe;
Carrie L., now deceased; and Bessie E., also deceased.



THE MARK E. KELLEY COMPANY, INC., of

Peabody, Massachusetts, was incorporated March 16,
1919, the corporators being Mark E. Kelley and George
A. Barnaby. They are thorouglily equipped with the
most modern machinery for general contracting work,
including sewers, water mains and concrete work of
any description. In addition to their contract work
they carry a complete line of cement, patent plaster,
wire lath, fire clay and fire brick. Among the buildings
erected by this company may be mentioned the Central
Fire Alarm building, built in 1920. The majority of
the sidewalks in the city of Peabody have been built
by the company, which in itself is sufficient warrant of
the high standard of their workmanship. Both mem-
bers of the corporation are graduates of the Massachu-
setts Institute of Technology, and previous to his present
work Mr. Barnaby traveled extensively as coal inspector
for various railroads; he was also town engineer of
Peabody in 1913. Both Mr. Kelley and Mr. Barnaby
are members of the Chamber of Commerce; the Rotary
Club, and the Peabody Club.



LEONARD SIMMONS LITTLE was born at New
Bedford, Massachusetts, on January 14, 1886, and is
a son of Amos P. and Anna (Simmons) Little. His
father, who was born at New Bedford, was engaged for
some time as a civil engineer. He later became district
and factory manager for the National Biscuit Com-
pany, and later formed a connection with the Loose-
Wiles Biscuit Company. The elder Mr. Little died in
1915. His widow, who was born at Fairhaven, Massa-
chusetts, is still living.

Mr. Little received his early education in the schools
of Providence, Rhode Island. He later proceeded to
the Classical High School, and after graduating there-
from, entered Brown University. He completed his
studies at the University and graduated with the degree
of Bachelor of Arts in 1907. After his graduation, Mr.
Little accepted a position as chemist with the Appo-
naug Company, but laiter held the position of dyer with
the same concern and remained in their service until
19H, when he established himself in business. He
formed a company, which was known as the Narragan-
sett Chemical Company, of Providence, Rhode Island,
and held the position of treasurer in the company until
1914, when he gave up the business and accepted a
position as overseer and later became superintendent,
with the United States Finishing Company, of Paw-
tucket, Rhode Island. He spent six years in the service
of the United States Finishing Company, remaining
with them until 1920, when he formed a connection with



4o6



ESSEX COUNTY



the Pacific Print Works of Lawrence, Massachusetts.
This establishment is the largest print works in the
world, and Mr. Little holds the position of assistant
superintendent of the works.

Mr. Little is a member of the Congregational church
of Andover. In politics he is a Republican. He is at
present a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and
belongs to the Lawrence Industrial Relations Club. He
is also a member of the Taylor Society; the American
Society of Chemists and Colorers of Boston. Massa-
chusetts; the American Chemical Society; and the
Providence Engineering Society. Mr. Little also is a
member of St. Matthew's Lodge, Ancient Free and
Accepted Masons, the Merrimac Valley Country Club,
and Theta Delta Chi fraternity.

Mr. Little married, in 1909, Aniey W. Williams, of
Providence, Rhode Island. Mrs. Little is a descendant
of the historic Roger Williams, the founder of Provi-
dence. Mr. and Mrs. Little have two sons: Robert
Williams, who was born on March 18, 1910; and George
Westcott, who was born on August i, 191 1.



JOHN WILLIAM MacLEAN— The surname of
MacLean is one of the oldest patronymics. William
Buchanan, who wrote in 1820 on the origin of Scottish
surnames, states that the name of MacLean is "descended
from that of Fitzgerald of Ireland, being once the most
potent surname of any other of English extraction in
that kingdom." It is claimed by leading Irish genealo-
gists that the Fitzgeralds or Geraldines were of Italian
origin. The family was in Normandy long before the
Conquest. Seignior Giraldo was a principal officer
under William the Conqueror, by whom he was made
Lord of Windsor. In 1169 Maurice Fitzgerald, grand-
son of Giraldo, was sent to Ireland in command of
English troops to suppress a rebellion against the King
of Leinster. As a reward for his success in the under-
taking, Fitzgerald received large grants of Irish terri-
tory and thus the family became established in Ireland.

The surname MacLean is a contraction of MacGillean,
said to be a prominent branch of the Fitzgerald Sept
or Clan. The family emigrated to Scotland at a time
when the history of those countries was still traditionary.
They were among the most loyal at Largs and Bannock-
burn. MacLean became a lieutenant of McDonald,
Lord of the Isles.

Allan MacLean, the first of his family in this country,
was born in Scotland; he was a carpenter and came to
Nova Scotia, where he lived the rest of his life-time.
He married Isabella Benvie, and they had five children,
the second eldest son being John William MacLean, of
whom further.

John William MacLean was born in Nova Scotia,
February 4, 1S60. He attended the schools there, and
when fourteen years of age came to the United States,
where he completed his schooling, .'\fter leaving school
he worked for four or five years on a farm and then
worked for a manufacturer of shoes, first as a cutter.
Later he learned to manufacture lasts, and for five
years was manager for the R. L. Cleveland Company.
However, this work did not appeal to Mr. MacLean as
an occupation and in 191,^ he engaged in the grocery
business on his own account in Danvers, Massachusetts.
In this venture he has been very successful; of a pleas-



ing personality, and having a desire to please, he has
succeeded in building up a large trade, and is well
known among his fellow business men. Mr. MacLean
is a Mason, third degree; he is a member of the Con-
gregational church.

Mr. MacLean married Elizabeth Knight Prentiss, of
Danvers, and they have three children: Charlotte A.;
Valentine; and Grace G.



MICHAEL T. DOYLE— In one of the practical
lines of lousiness endeavor in Lawrence, Massachusetts,
Michael T. Doyle is making his own success and con-
tributing to the general prosperity of the city. Mr.
Doyle was born in Limerick, Ireland, on December 16,
1879, and is a son of Maurice J. and Honora (Ken-
nedy) Doyle, who are now also residents of Lawrence,
the elder Mr. Doyle having been for a number of years
in the employ of the city.

Coming to the United States with his parents when
about six years of age, Michael T. Doyle has been a
resident of Lawrence since 1885, and here he received a
thoroughly practical education in the parochial and
public schools. In 1896, at the age of seventeen years,
the young man entered the "business world in the employ
of Sanborn & Robinson, prominent hardware dealers of
that day, and remained with them for a period of
eighteen years. Then, in 1914, with this experience
behind him. Mr. Doyle started in business for himself
along the same line. In the past seven years he has
built up a large and constantly growing business in
hardware, paints, oils and varnishes, and also carries a
complete line of sporting goods and automobile sup-
plies.

Mr. Doyle is a member of the Chamber of Com-
merce of Lawrence, and interested in all civic progress.
He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks Lodge, No. 65; of the Knights of Columbus;
and of the Holy Name Society of St. Mary's Church.
He is also a member of the Catholic Club.

Mr. Doyle married, in Lawrence. Amanda M. Colvin,
and they are the parents of three children: William A.,
a high school student, and associated with his father in
business; Maurice J.; and Rita C. Mr. and Mrs. Doyle
reside at No. 74 Park street.



MAHLON D. CURRIER— As general superin-
tendent of the Champion International Company of
Lawrence, Massachusetts, Mahlon D. Currier holds one
of the responsible positions of the industrial world of
Lawrence, and is among the leading citizens of that
city.

Mr. Currier was born November 28, 1857, in New
Hampshire, son of Benjamin G. and Mary P. (Wheeler)
Currier, both natives of New Hampshire. The former
was a veteran of the Civil War, a member of Company
K, Fifteenth New Hampshire Volunteers, and was
located for a time in Louisiana; he took part in the
battle of Port Hudson. Originally there were twelve
hundred men in this regiment and when it returned
there were but three hundred. Mr. Currier died in 1873.

Mahlon D. Currier was educated in the public schools
of Lawrence, and his first position was with the Russell
Paper Company, as runner-boy, in 1873. By diligent
effort and attention to his work, Mr. Currier worked his



<^.




BIOGRAPHICAL



407



way upward by degrees and held the offices of clerk,
pay-master, and eventually becatne superintendent of
the plant. In due course of time this company was
consolidated with other companies, and the Champion
International Paper Company was formed, of which Mr.
Currier became general superintendent, which position
he has since ably filled, having under his supervision
si.x hundred or more employes. The paper made by this
company is enameled book or coated paper, and the
company supplies very many of the leading publications
using this high grade paper.

Mr. Currier has always been active in public and
fraternal affairs. He is a member of Phoenecian Lodge,
Free and Accepted Masons ; Mt. Sinai Chapter, Royal
Arch Masons ; Lawrence Council, Royal and Select
Masters ; Bethany Commandery, Knights Templar. He
is also a member of Lowell Lodge of Perfection, Scot-
tish Rite Masonry; Lowell Council, Princes of Jeru-
salem; Massachusetts Consistory, Ancient Accepted
Scottish Rite, with the thirty-second degree. He is a
member of Aleppo Temple, Ancient Arabic Order
Xobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Boston. Mr. Currier
is a past grand of Meonadnock Lodge, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, and a past chief patriarch of
Kearsarge Encampment. He is also a member of Crys-
tal Rebekah Lodge and a past patron of Lawrence
Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star.

Mr. Currier was one of the founders of the Lawrence
Canoe Club in 1885, and was its first commodore, an
office which he has held a numlier of years at different
times. He is the only founder who still retains his mem-
bership in the club.

Mr. Currier became active in bicycling in 1882, when
the first high wheels, or "ordinarys," as they were called,
came into use in Lawrence. He was president of the
Lawrence Bicycle Club for a number of years. Through
the efforts of the Lawrence Bicycle Club the League
of Esse.x County Wheelmen was formed in Lawrence
at that time, and Mr. Currier was the president of this
league for four years. In 1884 and 1885 Mr. Currier
was chief counsel of Massachusetts in the League of
.American Wheelmen, and still retains his membership
in that organization, being one of the oldest in years of
membership. Mr. Currier is a member of the Appalach-
ian Mountain Club, the National Geographic Society,
the National Historical Society, the Lawrence Natural
History Society, the Young Men's Christian Association,
and the L^niversalist church, of which he has 'been treas-
urer for forty years. Mr. Currier is unmarried.



SAMUEL ARTHUR HEARS— In the business life
of Essex, Massachusetts, Samuel .A. Mears is taking a
practical place, having become interested in business
since his return from France.

Mr. Mears was born in Essex, and is a son of Samuel
A. and .Annie J. (Perkins) Mears, of Essex. The elder
Mr. Mears was for a long time engaged in the insur-
ance business in Salem. The mother was a native of
Wenham, Massachusetts.

Samuel A. Mears was born in Essex, October 19,
1890, and received his education in the public schools
of the town. Thereafter he took up farming, which he
followed for a number of years, later working on the
Bay State railroad for four years. It was here that the



World War found him, and he early enlisted in the
United States army. He was first assigned to the Depot
Brigade, then was transferred to Camp Merritt, New
Jersey, and became a member of Company M, 102nd
Infantry, a Connecticut regiment. He served for eleven
months with the American Expeditionary Force in
France, and was discharged from Camp Devens. Mas-
sachusetts, in 1919. Returning to Essex after his dis-
charge, Mr. Mears entered the retail ice business in
association with Charles W. Mears of this place.

Mr. Mears is a member of the .'\merican Legion, the
Knights of Pythias, and the West Gloucester State
Grange. He attends the Methodist Episcopal cliurch.



ARTHUR J. BROOKS— One of the leading con-
tractors of the day in Newburyport is Arthur J. Brooks,
who also handles lumber and builders' supplies exten-
sively.

Mr. Brooks was born January 17, :868, and is a son
of Charles H. and Hannah M. (Moore) Brooks, of
Freedom, New Hampshire. Acquiring his early edu-
cation in the public schools, he completed his studies at
Parsonfield Seminary, in Maine. Coming to Newbury-
port at the age of eighteen years, he followed farming
for about six months, working for a short time there-
after as a butcher. He then became interested in the
carpenter's trade, from which developed his permanent
business interest. In 1892 Mr. Brooks started in busi-
ness for himself, in the line of building and contracting,
then, in 1913, when he had developed a large business,
added another branch by the purchase of the Coleman
Wharf Extension, and since that time has built up a
far-reaching trade in all kinds of contracting essentials.
He has also continued his activities in the contracting
line, and many of the finer structures of this section
stand to his credit. A few of these are: The French
Catholic church, the cold storage plant, the Odd Fellows
Hall, the W. D. Dodge shoe factory, and W. D. Han-
nah shoe factory, the wood-working plant at the Towie
Manufacturing Company, all these located at Newbury-
port, Massachusetts; also the Second Congregational
Church, St. John's Memorial, Knights of Pythias and
Grange halls, all at West Newbury; and the cold
storage plant at Cape Cod and one at Nova Scotia; and
many fine public buildings, industrial plants and resi-
dences might be added to the list. Mr. Brooks is now
located on Mercantile walk, Merrimac street, New-
buryport, Massachusetts.

Mr. Brooks is a member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows. He is brigadier general (retired) of the
First Brigade, Department of Massachusetts, and is
commodore of the North End Boat Club. His religious
convictions place his membership with the Baptist
church.

On January 25, 1887, Mr. Brooks married Alice M.
Chase, and they adopted a daughter, Katherine G.



HfiRIGAULT PELLETIER— Bearing a construc-
tive part in the general progress, as editor of "Le Cour-
rier de Lawrence." Herigault Pelletier is also advancing
the welfare of the community in the real estate and fire
insurance business.

Mr. Pelletier was born in Montreal, Canada, on July
9, 1884, son of J. H. L. and Josephine (Powell) Pelle-



4o8



ESSEX COUNTY



tier. Acquiring his early education in the schools of
Montreal, he entered Montreal College, Laval Univer-
sity, from which he was graduated in 1903, with the
degree of B. L. The initial work of his career was as
instructor in French in the Berlitz International School
of Languages in New York, Pittsburgh. Pennsylvania,
and Boston, Massachusetts. In 1917 Mr. Pelletier
attended Harvard Law School for one year, then taught
French literature in the Dussault School of Languages,
in Boston, for a period of two years.

In the spring of 1919 Mr. Pelletier went to Lowell,
Massachusetts, as editor of the French daily newspaper,
"L'Etoile," which is published there. He remained in
Lowell until his purchase of the only French newspaper
in Essex county, Massachusetts, "Le Courrier de Law-
rence," of which he is now the owner and editor.
Arthur Beaucage is manager of the subscription depart-
ment. The paper has a very wide circulation, by no
aneans confined to the vicinity of Lawrence.

In the public life of Lawrence, Mr. Pelletier is deeply
interested, keeping in touch with every phase of civic
advance, but outside of his editorial work he has little
leisure for public activities.

Mr. Pelletier married, in Boston, Massachusetts, on
July 3, 1919, Desiree Kerr, and they have an infant son,
Herigault, Jr.



REV. J. LOUIS DUCLOS— Sacred Heart Church
was started as a mission or division of St. Anne's Par-
ish. Lawrence, Massachusetts, by Rev. J. M. Portal in
1898. he erecting the building which first served both
as chapel and school. For a few years the priests from
St. Anne's attended the religious needs of the little
congregation, but in 1904 Sacred Heart became a
separate parish. Rev. E. Vinas, the first pastor, being
installed in 1905. In 1906, the parish having so increased
in size, an assistant was appointed. Rev. Francis Morcel.
The latter was succeeded as assistant by Father Hamet,
who later succeeded to the pastorate and started the
erection of a new house of worship, which was completed
in 1914. To this parish came in June. 1916, Rev. J.
Louis Duclos, succeeding Father Hamet as pastor.

Father Duclos, in 1919, inaugurated a drive for funds
which enabled the parish to cancel the debt on the
church, and create a fund for a convent building, which
was placed in charge of the Sisters at Christmas, 1920.
Sacred Heart is now a parish of about seven hundred
and fifty French-speaking families of South Lawrence,
Massachusetts. About six hundred and twenty-five
scholars attend the parochial school and are. under the
instruction of Sisters of the Holy Union. Both the
pastor. Father J. L. Duclos and his assistant. Father
M. Janisson, are members of the Marist Fathers, or
Fathers of the Society of Mary.

Father Duclos was born in Medford, Massachusetts,
January i, 1877, and until fifteen years of age attended
the public schools of Cambridge, Massachusetts. From
1892 until 1896 he was a student at St. Mary's College,
Van Buren, Maine, and from 1896 until 1898 he was a
student at a Marist Novitiate Theological Seminary in
Maryland. He completed his studies in theology in the
Marist College in Washington, D. C, and was ordained
a priest of the Roman Catholic church June 21, 1901.
From graduation until 1904 he was assigned to duty as an



instructor in a Marist College at .'\tlanta, Georgia, and
from there went to Jefiferson College in Louisiana, where
he remained a year, and then, in 1905, went to All Hal-
low's College, Salt Lake City, as spiritual director and
econome until 1912. In 1913 he was appointed assistant
pastor at St. Anne's Parish in Lawrence, and continued
there until 19 16, when he was assigned to the pastorate
of Sacred Heart Church, Lawrence, Massachusetts.
The parish has prospered under his administration of
its afifairs, the school enlarged, the convent built, the debt
paid, and the spiritual life of the parish quickened.



EDWARD N. CUMMINGS, manufacturer, of
.Amesbury, Massachusetts, was born in Haverhill,
November 11, 1873, son of Nelson P. Cummings. After
completing his formal education, Mr. Cummings was
associated with the carriage industry, following this line
of business for fifteen years, most of this time as sales-
man. As the automobile began to replace the carriage,
Mr. Cummings turned his attention to the former busi-
ness, and with G. W. J. Murphy, of Merrimac, Massa-
chusetts, formed the G. W. J. Murphy Company in
190S, manufacturers of automobile accessories. Some
years later Mr. Murphy retired from the business.

Mr. Cummings is amon.g the well-known business
men of Amesbury, and he is a member of the Boston
Chamber of Commerce. Fraternally, Mr. Cummings
is a member of the Masonic order, and of the .'Vmesbury
Club, and attends the Episcopal church.

Mr. Cummings married, in 1903, Emma M. Hughes,
and their son, Edward N., Jr., was born June 28, 1906.



WILLIAM ALBERT HALL, undertaker, of
Haverhill, Massachusetts, was born July 23, 1857, in
Barrington, New Hampshire, son of Isaac Y. and
Cynthia A. Hall, natives of New Hampshire, both born
in 1836, and, a remarkable fact, both now living.

William A. Hall was educated in the public schools,
and for some years followed agricultural pursuits, until
his removal to Haverhill, when he entered the shoe
industry, working at this occupation for six years. Mr.
Hall had always been musically inclined, but had never
thought of it as a vocation until about 1894, when he
had an opportunity to play in an orchestra, in which
position he remained until 1896. In the latter year he
went to work for C. A. Twombly Company and learned
the undertaking profession, leaving the above-named
firm in 1912 to en.gage in similar business on his own
account, and in which he has met with success. Mr.
Hall is a member of the Haverhill Chamber of Com-
merce, and also of the Knights of Pythias.

Mr. Hall married, in 1899, Emma L. Watkins, of
Portsmouth, New Hampshire. They are attendants of
the Methodist church of Bradford.



CHARLES BAKER was born in Beverly, in the
section which is now Danvers, Massachusetts, in the
house at No. 220 Conant street, in which he now resides,
September 16, 1850, and is the only living child of
Andrew C. and Dorinda (Trask) Baker. Andrew C.
Baker was born at Wenham, Massachusetts. He
bought the farm on which his son now resides, at an
early date, and here died. He lived the life of a farmer
and drover. In addition to managing his farm prop-




^Ac^i.^ (J9,»^



BIOGRAPHICAL



409



erty, he bought hogs at the Brighton stockyard, some-
times over a thousand a week, and these he sold all
over Massachusetts and New Hampshire; he employed
from six to eight drovers.

Charles Baker received his education in the public
schools of Danvers, Massachusetts. Like his father, he
had a great affection for the land, and early decided to
spend his life in the pursuit of agriculture. He has
never turned aside from farming, but has devoted his
entire life to the management of liis farm. He is a
member of the Hawthorne Club.

Mr. Baker married Hattie M. (Davis) Clark, the widow
of Albion Clark, and daughter of Darwin and Harriet
(Paige) Davis. Mr. and Mrs. Baker have two children:
Lena, who is now the wife of Horace Bushby, and
they have one child, a son, Sidney Baker Bushby, and
reside in Danvers; and Walter, who, with his father,
looks after the farm.



St. Paul, Minnesota. Her maternal grandparents were
Patrick and Agnes (Nivelle) Fitzpatrick, of St. John's,
Newfoundland, the former connected with the New-
foundland fishing industry.



GEORGE F. CAVANAUGH— Continuing a busi-
ness which was established in 1856, and with which he



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 31 of 56)