Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 35 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 35 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


years been identified with the work of that department.
Beginning as an ordinary laborer, he made the most of
every opportunity that came his way, and in 191 1, under
Commissioner McPhetres, was appointed foreman.
Making good in every particular in this position, he was
made general foreman in 1916. On the death of Com-
missioner McPhetres, Mr. Graham was elected to fill
the unexpired term thus left vacant, and was reelected
the following year for a full term, the vote of the people
ratifying his appointment with a good majority. In
1916 the commission form of government was abolished,
and a council body formed, which elects and appoints
the various city officials, but Mr. Graham has repeatedly
received his reappointment, and as a thoroughly capable
and experienced executive, is still serving the city in
this capacity.

Mr. Graham is a member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, and of the Lynn Encampment of the
same order, and also of the Orientals, a social branch
of the order. He is also a member of the Loyal Order
of Moose. He attends the Episcopal church.

Mr. Graham married, November 24, 1893, Mary M.
Smith, and they are the parents of three children: Bea-
trice M., Blanche L., and J. Archibald.



JAMES H. CLIFFORD COMPANY— Built upon
a definite idea, the business of the James H. Clifford
Company, of Lawrence, Massachusetts, established more
than fifty years ago, is covering a broad scope to-day.
In the development of this idea, the Cliffords are indeed
"Makers of Homes Beautiful."

James H. Clifford, Sr., the founder of this business, was
born at St. John, New Brunswick, in the year 1845, and






'J-/,



■^Ar.c



BIOGRAPHICAL



421



came to Lawrence with his father, Thomas Clifford, the
first decorator in this city. Their work together con-
sisted largely in general painting. In 1870 James H. Clif-
ford, Sr., went into business for himself, devoting more
attention to the interior branch of this field of endeavor.
His idea was the harmonizing of exterior and interior
decorations, particularly in the homes of the city, and
although the firm has handled many contracts in con-
nection with the completion or re-finishing of public
buildings, their especial pride has always been, as their
advertising slogan indicates, the making of homes beau-
tiful. The original location of the business was at No.
331 Common street, but after thirty years of constant
growth and development, the business was removed, in
1900, to No. 400 Essex street. Nineteen years later, the
business having outgrown these quarters, the present
location was purchased (May, 1919), and the concern
new occupies the entire building at No. 430 Essex
street, five spacious floors. In connection with the gen-
eral decorating business, the salesrooms include rug
departments, electric floor lamps, house furnishings and
hangings, and a very complete line of wall paper.

The elder Mr. Clifford, who died in 191 1, had in his
later years turned over the active management of the
business into the hands of his sons, Thomas P., and
James H. Clifford, Jr. The firm holds a seat in the
Lawrence Chamber of Commerce.

James H. Clifford, Sr. married, in 1866, Mary Leahn,
ot Lawrence. They were the parents of three sons and
six daughters, as follows: Thomas F.; James H., Jr.;
Charles \., a prominent Lawrence attorney; Elizabeth,
deceased ; Catherine, wife of Dr. John T. Cahill, of
Lawrence; Blanche; Loyola, widow of the late Charles
A. Holihan, of Lawrence; Sarah; and Mary E. The
family are members of St. Mary's Roman Catholic
Church.



THOMAS F. CLIFFORD— Following the same
branch of endeavor in which his father and grandfather
were long prominent. Thomas F. Clifford is now the
head of the James H. Clifford Company, of Lawrence,
decorators and home furnishers.

Thomas F. Clifford was born in Lawrence, in the year
1873. and received a practical education in the public
schools of this city. Interested from childhood in the
work in which his father was engaged, as soon as the
boy had completed his studies he entered the employ of
his father, quickly becoming an active factor in the
progress of the business, which was at that time located
at No. 331 Common street. With the expansion of the
business greater responsibilities fell to the share of the
younger man, especially with the removal of the busi-
ness to its second location at No. 400 Essex street.
When James H. Clifford, Sr., the foimder, wished to
retire from the active management of the now very
extensive interest, Thomas F. Clifford assumed the
duties which he laid down, and has since been the head
of the concern. Since coming to the present location,
at No. 430 Essex street, the James H. Clifford Com-
pany is one of the leading firms in this line outside of
the city of Boston. In the fraternal world Mr. Clifford
is well known, being a member of Lodge No. 65, Benev-
olent and Protective Order of Elks, and also a member
of the Fraternal Order of Eagles.



In November, 1900, Mr. Clifford married Teresa
Healy, of Lawrence, and they have one son, Charles
Edward.

James H. Clifford, Jr., brother of Thomas F. Clif-
ford, who is associated with him in business, was born
in Lawrence, in 1879, and educated in the schools of the
city and PhilHps-Andover Academy, from which he was
graduated in 1900. Thereafter for eight years he was
engaged in the dyeing business, then became a member
of the present firm. James H. Clifford is also a mem-
ber of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and
is a member of the Merrimack Valley Country Club.

He married, in December, 1910, Bertha A. Griffin, of
Lawrence, and they have four children : Bertha, Mary,
Elizabeth, and James. They attend St. Mary's Roman
Catholic Church.



FRANK E. BURNHAM. one of the leading men in
the contracting field in Essex, Massachusetts, has been
active in construction work for many years. Mr. Burn-
ham was born in Essex, September 23, 1853, and is a
son of Josephus and Helen Burnham. The elder Mr.
Burnham was throughout his entire career engaged in
shipbuilding, and died in 1881. His wife survived him
for thirty-si.x years, passing away in Essex in 1917.

Gaining his education in the public schools of Essex,
Mr. Burnham took up his first employment with the
Hamlin Company, of Newton, Massachusetts, where he
learned the trade of mason, and thereafter remained
with the same concern for four years. Then returning
to Essex, Mr. Burnham went into business for himself,
along the line of masonry and contracting, under his
own name, and meeting with excellent success, has con-
tinued in this business up to the present time.

Mr. Burnham is a member of the Knights of Pythias,
of Essex, and of the Ancient Order of United Work-
men, of Gloucester, Massachusetts. He attends the Con-
gregational church of Essex, and has been clerk of the
parish for thirty years.

Mr. Burnham married, in 1876. in Chicago, Illinoi^,
Clara M. Burnham, of Essex, and they have three chil-
dren : Roy G., who is an instructor in the Massachu-
setts Institute of Technology, at Cambridge; Margaret
E., who is very active in Baptist mission work in Bos-
ton ; and Louis B., associated with his father in busi-
ness, who married Charlotte Mitchell, of Cochituate,
Massachusetts, and has a daughter, Barbara.



CHARLES EDWARD OBER— Among the large
group of prominent Beverly citizens whose business
interests are in Boston, Massachusetts, is Charles Ed-
ward Ober. dealer in bonds, whose office is located at
No. 60 State street. Boston.

Mr. Ober was born in Beverly, November 4, 1869, and
is a son of Edward H. and Mary E. (Diggins) Ober.
With his early education secured in the public schools
of Beverly, Mr. Ober also covered the high school
course here, then at once entered the world of business.
Going to Boston, he started, at the age of eighteen, as
messenger boy with Adams, Blodget & Co., of that
city. From that time until the present Mr. Ober has
never made a change, remaining with the same company
and its successor, Blodget & Co., for a continuous
period of upwards of forty years. Beginning in a sub-



422



ESSEX COUNTY



ordinate position, he made his way upward from one to
another position of greater responsibility, and for the
past fourteen years has been a member of the firm,
having been received as a partner in the year 1908.

In connection with his principal business interest Mr.
Ober is active in Beverly financial circles. He is vice-
president of the Beverly National Bank, a director of
the Beverly Co-operative Bank, and a trustee of the
Beverly Savings Bank. He is a member of the Red
Cross, and interested in all benevolent organizations.

Fraternally, Mr. Ober is connected with the Free and
Accepted Masons, and the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows. He takes only the interest of the progressive
citizen in public afifairs, supporting the Republican party.
He attends the Dane Street Congregational Church.

Mr. Ober married, in June, 1903, Elizabeth Hill,
daughter of Hugh and Mary (Webster) Hill, and they
have one son, Edward H., born September 20, 1904.



EDSON CUMMINGS WALKER, of Merrimac,
Massachusetts, well known throughout that district, and
especially to those connected with farming, has lived in
Merrimac since boyhood. He was born in Deerfield,
New Hampshire, September 30, 1879, son of Rev. Henry
Olin (2) and Mary Adeline (Coburn) Walker, and
descendant of Phillip Walker, who was in the Massa-
chusetts colony early in the seventeenth century. Phil-
lip Walker died in 1679. His birth date is not known,
but about 1654 he married Jane Butterworth, of Reho-
both, Massachusetts, who died in 1702, or Joane Metcalf,
of Dedham. He was the father of the following chil-
dren : Samuel, born in February, 1655, died August 12,
1712; Sarah, born February 16, 1657, died August 2,
1693; Phillip (2), of whom further; Elizabeth, twin
with Phillip, born in March, 1662, died in 1664; Mary,
bom in May, 1663,^ died May 8, 1694; Experience, date
of birth not known, died November 10, 1674; Elizabeth,
born April i, 1666. died December 8, 1704; Michael,
born March i, 1667, died February, 1677; Ebenezer, born
in November, 1676, died March 13, 1718; and Martha,
dates of birth and death not known.

(II) Phillip (2) Walker, son of Phillip (i) and Jane
(Butterworth) Walker or Joane (Metcalf) Walker, was
born in March, 1662, and died February 17, 1739. He
was a farmer, and was twice married. He married
(first) Mary Bowden ; she died in 1694. His second
wife was Sarah Bowden; she died in 1739. The chil-
dren born of the first marriage were : Ebenezer, born
October 21, 1688; James, born September 3, 1690, died
November 28, 1747; Phillip (3), born August 13, 1693,
died November 5, 1742. The children of second mar-
riage were : Sarah, born January 8, 1695 ; Esther, born
in 1697; Mary, born March 19, 1699; Jane, born March
21, 1702; Nathaniel, born January 31, 1703, died April
20, 1783; Daniel, of whom further; Stephen, born Au-
gust 7, 1709.

(III) Daniel Walker, son of Phillip (2) and Sarah
(Bowden) Walker, was born October 10, 1706. He
took part in the expedition that resulted in the taking of
Quebec in 1759, but in civil life was a farmer. He
married, January i, 1729, Mary Perry, of Rehobeth,
Massachusetts. Their children were: Mary, born Sep-
tember 6, 1730, died August 19, 1777; Mehitable, bom
in 1731; Mehitable (2), born September 22, 1733, died



in Providence, Rhode Island; Sarah, born September 2,
1735; Daniel, born March 11, 1736, died in 1777; Gideon,
of whom further; Rebecca, bom June 14, 1740; Esther,
horn June 9, 1742, died in 1773; Nathan, born May 4,

1744, died October 19, 1823; Keziah, born January 6,

1745, died November I, 1747; John, born September I,
1748, died October 15, 1748; Ichabod, born December
23, 1749, died March 21, 1832.

(IV) Gideon Walker, son of Daniel and Mary
(Perry) Walker, was born in Attleboro, Massachusetts,
November 20, 1738, and died November 2, 1793, in
Whiting, Vermont, where he moved in 1784. He was
married to Rachel Foster, of Attleboro, in 1764-65. She
was born April 21, 1743, and died March 31, 1815.
Their children were: Jessie, born July 21, 1767, died
February 17, 1822; Rachel, bom August 4, 1769, died
March 13, 1849; Lucy, died when one year old; Levi,
born May 22, 1772, died July 27, 1822; Amos Elmore,
born May 25, 1775, died January 19, 1850; James Otis,
of whom further; Gideon, born in June, 1782, died
March 7, 1859; Samuel Beach, born December 17, 1784,
died October 10, 1842.

(V) James Otis Walker, son of Gideon and Rachel
(Foster) Walker, was born at Whiting, Vermont, on
August 6, 1778. He was a fanner, and became a prom-
inent Mason. He died on November 27, 1857, survived
by his second wife. He married (first) on October 12,
1798, Mary Olin, of Shaftsbury, Vermont. She died on
February 28, 1806, and on December 4th of that year
he married (second) Eunice Marsh, of Clarendon, Ver-
mont. She was born on December 25, 1779, and died
on December 22, 1858. There was one child born to him
by his first wife, a son, Benjamin Foster, born June 14,
1800, died October 11, 1814. To the second marriage
came: Henry Olin, born on August 13, 1807, died July
9, 1878; Daniel M., of whom further; and Juliet, born
January 13, 181 1, died May 27, 1900.

(VI) Daniel Marsh Walker, son of James Otis and
Eunice (Marsh) Walker, was born at Whiting, Vermont,
on February 10, 1809, died September 19, 1875. He
married (first) Cornelia Austin Smith, at Whiting, Ver-
mont, on November II, 1830. Between 1835 and 1839
he married Marcia Polly Needham, also of Whiting,
where she was born on October 13, 1815. His children
by his first wife were : Cornelia Helen, born October 5,
1831, died August 26, 1888; Sarah Jane, born May 8,
1833, died December 26, 1917; Henry Olin (2) of whom
further. Born to him by his second wife were : Lucinda
Smith, born February 25, 1839, died July 23, 1905 ; Mary
Anna, born January 24, 1841, died November 30, 1855.

(VII) Rev. Henry Olin (2) Walker, son of Daniel
and Cornelia Austin (Smith) Walker, was born at
Whiting, Vermont, October 15, 1835. He was a clergy-
man for the greater part of his life. He retired from
the ministry in 1886, and died in 1914. He married
(first) Mary Adeline Coburn, November 26, 1863, who
was born in Lowell, Massachusetts, on October 13,
1843, and died on February 19, 1905. He married (sec-
ond) Mrs. Jennie C. Wallace, of Merrimac, Massachu-
setts, July 31, 1906, who survives him.

(VIII) Edson Cummings Walker was still in early
boyhood when the family came to live in Merrimac,
Massachusetts. In the public schools of Merrimac and
Haverhill he was educated, and after leaving the public



BIOGRAPHICAL



423



school he was for a further three years at the Whittier
School of Merrimac. After his schooldays were over
he applied himself to farming occupations, and has ever
since held to that industry. He has been successful in
dairying, and has a good farming property.

Politically, Mr. Walker is a Republican; fraternally
he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
and to the Rebekah auxiliary. In the former he has
advanced as far as noble grand of Riverside Lodge of
Merrimac. He is also a past master of the Merrimac
Grange, Patrons of Husbandry. By religious convic-
tion and observance he is a Baptist, a member of the
local church.

Mr. Walker married, September 2, 1903. Grace Mabel
Moser, daughter of Edwin Byron and Grace Lillian
(Eaton) Moser, of Merrimac, Massachusetts. They
have two children : Henry Phillip, born August 17,
1909; and John Olin, born October 3, 1913.



ALEXANDER MUNRO, JR., one of the successful
merchants of .\mesbury, Massachusetts, was born in
Huntly, .■\berdeenshire. Scotland, the son of Alexander
and Jessie (Leslie) Munro, b'rth of good ScottisK fam-
ilies and both of Scottish birth, the former born in
.\berdeen in 1833, and the latter in Glen Livet, Banff-
shire, in the same year. Alexander Munro, Sr., was a
merchant tailor until his retirement in 191 1; his wife
died in Scotland in 1868.

Alexander Munro, Jr. was educated in the public
schools of Aberdeen, Scotland, and there served his
apprenticeship. Three years later, in 1876, he came to
America, settling in Boston, Massachusetts, where he
entered the employ of Gilchrist. Smith & Company.
Later he was an employee of the Churchill Company.
Three years were thus passed, and he next became con-
nected with the Gilchrist Company, as buyer, beginning
then a mutually profitable association, which continued
for twenty-seven years. At the end of that time he
became connected with the R. H. Stearns Company,
only for a short period, however, leaving them to become
merchandise man for the William H. Brine Company.
Three years later he became superintendent for the
Leslie Dry Goods Company of Haverhill. He held that
responsibility for three years, leaving to become an
employer himself. He acquired the branch store at
.\mesbury of the Simonds & .•\dams Company in 1911,
and still owns it, having successfully conducted that
business for the last ten years as the Munro Department
Store.

Mr. Munro is one of the leading retail merchants of
the town, and has been helpful in more than one public
movement. He is a member and director of the Ames-
bury Chamber of Commerce; and is a consistent mem-
ber of the Amesbury Methodist Episcopal Church.

Mr. Munro married, in 1891. .\da G. Halliday, who
was born in Kentville, Nova Scotia, on July 7, 1871.
They have four children : Alexander James, born Feb-
ruary 19, 1893; Jessie A., born April 7, 1897; Donald
L.. born January 23, 1909; and Dorothy L., born Decem-
ber 17, IQII.



Gallagher. His father was bom in Portland in 1846,
and was also engaged there in the drug business until
his retirement from business in 1906.

James T. Gallagher was educated in the public and
high schools and then entered Bowdoin College. On
October 14, 1901, he passed the Maine Board of Phar-
macy examinations, having the distinction of being the
youngest man to pass this board. He then entered the
employ of the Schlotterbeck & Foss Company, of Port-
land, where he remained for five years. Mr. Gallagher
then went to Boston, where he was manager for Melvin
Badger, of that city. At the end of this period he
engaged in the drug business on his own account in
Boston, Massachusetts, and after seven years, removed
to Amesbury, where he has since continued very suc-
cessfully and at the present time owns the largest drug
business in that town.

Mr. Gallagher is a Republican and takes a very active
part in civic matters. During the different war drives
at the time of the World War, he aided through his
work and enthusiasm, and was manager of many of the
campaigns. He is a member of the Chamber of Com-
merce.

In addition to his local interests, Mr. Gallagher owns
considerable land in Maine and Florida, where he
engages in the real estate business quite extensively. In
partnership with Mr. Price he purchased the property of
the Amesbury Fair Grounds, and turned these grounds
over to the use of the .'\mesbury Ball Team. Frater-
nally, Mr. Gallagher is a member of the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks of Newburyport, and the
Loyal Order of Moose, of which organization he is past
exalted ruler. He also is a member of the Wachusett
Club.

Mr. Gallagher married, May 20, 1901, Mary E. Tre-
frery, born June 15, 1883, at Portland, Maine, and their
children are: Frank E., born February 2, 1906; and
Frederick K., born April 18, 1909. With his family Mr.
Gallagher attends the Catholic church of Amesbury.



JAMES T. GALLAGHER, the leading druggist of
Amesbury, Massachusetts, was born December 20, 1883,
in Portland, Maine, son of Hugh and Mary E. (Carlin)



JACOB HASKELL, whose name will remain among
the honored and prominent citizens of Salem, Massa-
chusetts, long after the granite buildings built by him
in that city have given place to newer and more mod-
ern ones, was born in April, 181 5, on a farm in Maine,
and died at Salem, Massachusetts, at the age of ninety-
three. Mr. Haskell's educational opportunities were
extremely limited, and as was customary with country
boys of his day, he worked on the home farm until he
was about twenty years of age. At this time he came
to Massachusetts and there learned the trade of a
mason, which he followed as a journeyman for many
years. In later years, Mr. Haskell engaged in business
for himself as a contractor and builder and received
many public contracts from the city of Salem. On the
first Salem court house, built in 1841, he worked as a
journeyman, and also worked on the second court house
of this city, built just twenty years later, and he lived
to see the completion of the third building. The Salem
Reservoir, built in 1866, was also the work of Mr.
Haskell, of which he was the contractor. Jacob Has-
kell was also in the ice business in Salem many years.
He retired more than twenty years before his death
from all active business. In politics he was a strong



424



ESSEX COUNTY



Republican. He was prominent in the Universalist
church, very charitable and public spirited.

Mr. Haskell married, in 1840, Cynthia R. Hood, and
their children were: Mary P., born July 20, 1843, and
died in March, 1912; George, born December 15, 1845;
he was engaged in the wholesale produce business in
Salem as a manager, but is now retired; and Cynthia
R., wife of C. R. Wilkins, of Danvers. The family
residence is on the old Sears farm. No. 269 Locust
street, Danvers, Massachusetts.



PATRICK H. MORRIS, who was born in .\mes-
bury forty-six years ago, has held loyally to his home
town throughout his life, and for more than a decade
has been one of its successful merchants.

Mr. Morris was born on November 8, 1875, son of
Patrick H., Sr., and Mary (Martin) Morris, both of
whom were born in Ireland, the father in Galway and
the mother in County Tyrone. After coming to Amer-
ica and to Massachusetts, the father entered the textile
business, and followed that line until his death, which
occurred in 1901.

Patrick H. Morris, the son, received the whole of his
education in Amesbury schools, public and parochial,
and after leaving school began his business life in the
employ of the John H. Clark Carriage Company. He
served that company for ten years, and then became con-
nected with S. S. Beloff, also of Amesbury, the line
being entirely different, that of tobacco. He remained
with Mr. Beloff for ten years, leaving to enter into busi-
ness for himself. Since 191 1 Mr. Morris has been a
wholesale and retail tobacconist in Amesbury, with very
satisfactory results. He is an energetic, enterprising and
well known business man, belongs to the Amesbury
Chamber of Commerce, and is interested in the progress
of the town. Politically he is a Democrat. He is a
good Catholic, and for many years has been a member
of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church of Amesbury.
He is unmarried.



JOSEPH H. COMLEY, florist, of Amesbury, Mas-
sachusetts, and an ex-service man of overseas record,
was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts, March 14,
1895, son of Joseph J. and Mary (Mcintosh) Comley,
both of whom were born in Massachusetts, the former
in Worcester, in January, 1865, and the latter in West
Newbury, in January, 1869. Joseph J. Comley is a
florist, and for years has done a good business in his
Newburyport and Amesbury stores. He was married
in December, 1892, and five children were born to them.
In order of birth the children are: Mary Ridgeway;
Joseph H., of whom further; Winthrop M. ; Gertrude
E. ; and Sylvia G. The home of the family was in
Newburyport, and there Joseph H. attended school,
passing through the public schools, elementary and high.
Entering business life, young Comley associated with
his father in the florist and nurseryman line of effort,
and the business has gone well ahead since that time.

When the World War came in 191 7, Joseph H. Com-
ley was ready to go. He enlisted in the United States
army on October 15, 19T7, and soon thereafter was
assigned to duty and instruction at Fort Banks, Boston
harbor, where he remained until June, 1918, then sailing



for the French front with a casual company. In France
he was transferred to the Sixth Cavalry, which was
formerly General Pershing's own command. With that
regiment of the Regular army he served for a year in
France, and was held in France long after the cessa-
tion of hostilities. Returning eventually to the United
States, Comley was honorably discharged, at Newport
News, Virginia, on July 22, 1919, with the grade of



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 35 of 56)