Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 36 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 36 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cook. Soon thereafter he returned to his home, and
again entered business association with his father. He
now has charge of the Amesbury branch of the busi-
ness. Politically Mr. Comley is a Republican ; by relig-
ious faith he is a Baptist, a member of the Amesbury
church.



ARCHIE SNOW McKEEN, photographic artist,
of Haverhill, Massachusetts, an authority on matters of
reproduction by photography, was born on January 23,
1874, at Phillips, Maine, son of William Henry and
Nellie A. (Golder) McKeen. His father was a car-
penter by trade, and lived the greater part of his life
in the State of Maine, his death occurring on Septem-
ber 3, 1903. His mother, who was of the (bolder fam-
ily of Strong, Maine, died in 1908.

Archie Snow McKeen attended the common school
of his native place, and was of the class of 1891 in the
Phillips High School, graduating from same. Even
before he had left school, it was obvious that he was
much interested in photography, and eventually he
decided to make that his life work. He followed such
work in various places in his home State, having studios
at Phillips, Rangeley Lakes, Center Harbor, and Win-
nepesaukee Lake, and did some good work in the lake
country. Later he came to Beverly, Massachusetts, and
eventually to Haverhill. In 1903 he succeeded to the
photographic business of Mr. Anderson, of Haverhill,
the business with the change becoming the McKeen
Studios. It has always been at the same address, No.
66 Merrimac street, and it is obviously a lucrative busi-
ness, made so perhaps by Mr. McKeen's excellence in
photographic art. His work has been more than once
favorably noticed in expert circles.

Mr. McKeen has no time to enter into public affairs,
but is affiliated with some of the local bodies of fra-
ternal orders, among them the Knights of Pythias, and
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Mr. McKeen married, on January 20, 1909, Florence
J. Whittier, daughter of John and Hattie E. (Nealley)
Whittier, the former a merchant of Methuen, Massa-
chusetts. They have three children : Russell William,
who was born in 1913: Philip Golder, born in 1915; and
Edna Whittier, born in 1920.



CRAWFORD H. STOCKER— For many years
identified with the business world of Saugus, Massa-
chusetts, his native town, Crawford H. Stocker has won
his way to a position of influence in the community. Mr.
Stocker is a son of William M. and Ella A. (Hawkes)
Stocker, long well and favorably known in Saugus.
The elder Mr. Stocker was a merchant here for many
years, and was a veteran of the Civil War, but died in
1910.

Crawford H. Stocker was born in Saugus, March 11,



BIOGRAPHICAL



425



1875, and received his early education in the public
schools of his native town. Early ambitious to enter a
business career, he then took a course at Bryant &
Stratton's Business College, in Boston. His first posi-
tion was with the Indian Mutual Insurance Company,
where he remained for about one year, after which he
became connected with the Boston Board of Marine
Underwriters, where he continued for several years.
Then coming to Cliftondale about 1900, Mr. Stocker
established a coal and wood business here, under his
own name, and has continued uninterruptedly until the
present time. He has been very successful, and in every
phase of his relations with the public has commanded
their highest respect and esteem.

Mr. Stocker is a member of the Saugus Board of
Trade and of the Lynn Chamber of Commerce. He is
a director of the Saugus Bank, and is a chairman of
the investment committee of that institution. Frater-
nally, he holds membership in the Free and Accepted
Masons, and in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Mr. Stocker married, in 1902, Louisa M. Hawkes, of
Amherst, Massachusetts. Mrs. Stocker is a daughter of
Walter R. and Nellie (Fisher) Hawkes, her father
being a prominent florist of Westboro, Massachusetts,
and her mother a native of Medway, also in this State.
Mr. and Mrs. Stocker are the parents of two children:
Crawford H., Jr., who was born in 1904; and Margery
M., born in 1908. The members of the family are
widely known and popular in social circles in this
county.



ALFRED E. DEMERS was born in the city of
Durham, Canada, on July 18, 1872, and is a son of
Honore Demers, a carpenter by trade, and his wife,
Adaline (Bournase) Demers, who was born in Quebec,
Canada. His father died in 1909.

Mr. Demers was educated in the public schools of
Manchester, New Hampshire. After his education was
completed he obtained employment at a mill in Man-
chester and worked there for five years. He then spent
nineteen years in the service of the Craft & Green Shoe
Manufacturing Company, at Manchester. During the
last eleven years he spent with Craft & Green, Mr.
Demers occupied the position of foreman, in charge of
the making and finishing rooms. In 1909 he decided to
leave Manchester and came to Haverhill. He became
foreman for the E. Bottomley Company, remaining with
that firm until 1919. He then, after ten years spent in
the service of the E. Bottomley Company, entered into
partnership with Mr. Crowell, establishing the Demers
& Crowell Company, which specializes in the manufac-
ture of ladies' turn slippers and comfort shoes. The
factory, which is located at No. 203 River street, Haver-
hill, has 2,700 square feet of floor space, and an aver-
age production of 500 pairs of shoes a day. Mr. Demers
is a Catholic. He is a member of the Catholic Forest-
ers of America.

Mr. Demers married (first), in 1897, Julia Conlon,
of New York State; she died in 1900. Mr. Demers
married (second), in 1910, Mrs. Esther (Laramy) Frost,
of New York State, she a daughter of Charles and Mary
(White) Laramy. same State. Her father is a bo.x
manufacturer and farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Demers have
no children.



ANDREW (3) NICHOLS was born at Danvers,
now Peabody, Massachusetts, on September 17, 1837,
and died September 18, 1921, and was a son of Dr.
Andrew (2) and Mary Holyoke (Ward) Nichols. His
grandfather, whose name also was Andrew, was born
on Nichols street, in Danvers, Massachusetts, and was a
farmer and one of the town officers. He married his
cousin, Eunice Nichols, and tliey had four children:
Elizabeth ; John, from whom Mr. Nichols purchased
the land upon which he built his homestead at No. 98
Preston street, Danvers; Andrew (2), of whom further;
and Abel.

Andrew (2) Nichols, Mr. Nichols' father, was born
at the family homestead, Danvers. He was a physician
and naturalist. He married (second) Mary Holyoke
Ward, and they had two children: Andrew (3), and
Mary W. Nichols.

Andrew (3) Nichols received his early education in
the public schools of Danvers, now Peabody, Massa-
chusetts. From Danvers he moved to Salem, where he
became a pupil of the Bowditch High School, from
which he graduated. He then accepted a position in
the Insolvency Court. .At the time he held this position,
the registry of deeds was still housed in the old stone
building, which was later abandoned when the Insol-
vency Court was merged with the Probate Court. The
indoor work at Salem proved too severe a tax upon
Mr. Nichols' health and he was obliged to seek an open
air occupation. Accordingly, he decided to take up
farming, so bought the farm and built the homestead at
No. 98 Preston street, Danvers, from his Uncle John,
a son of the first Andrew Nichols. He directed the
work of the farm for a number of years and then, in
addition took up the profession of civil engineering.
He had a natural aptitude for this profession and soon
acquired a wide reputation as an engineer of uncommon
energy and ability. He was the engineer in charge of
the installation of the Danvers Water Works and later
of the Peabody Water Works. He planned many of
the finest roads in Danvers, and among others, laid out
the Valley road which runs from Danvers to Topsfield.
Mr. Nichols was for many years a member of the Dan-
vers School Committee. He spent much spare time on
local history and was an acknowledged authority on the
history of Danvers, Salem, Peabody, Middleton and
Topsfield.

He was clerk of the LInitarian Congregational Society
of Danvers from its organization in 1865 until his death,
a period of fifty-six years. He also was an expert on
titles of real estate. In spite of his great age he con-
tinued to lead an active life and to manage his various
business enterprises until 1919, when he retired, owing
to a severe illness.

Mr. Nichols married Elizabeth P. Stanley, of Salem.
Mr. and Mrs. Nichols had eight children: i. Andrew
(4), who married Mary Ann Bill, and they had
three children: Annie Bowlman (Nichols) Brewster;
Dr. Andrew (5) Nichols; and Marion Nichols. Both
Andrew (4) Nichols and his wife are now dead. 2.
Elizabeth Hunt, who died in her ninth year. 3. John
Holyoke, M. D., who married Oda Howe; they have
no children. He is the superintendent of the Tewks-
bury State Infirmary. 4. Joshua Ward, who succeeded
to the management of the family homestead at No. 98



426



ESSEX COUNTY



Preston street, Danvers. He married (first) Clara
Louise Ballou, who was the mother of his two children:
John and Florence Nichols; and (second) Maud Kim-
ball. 5. Mary Eliot, a teacher. 6. William Stanley, who
entered the ministry and is at present in charge of a
church at Montpelier, Vermont. He married Nellie E.
Johnson. They have two children : Edward Holyoke,
and Nathan Paddock Nichols. 7. Nellie Chapman, who
married Charles H. Preston, and they have three chil-
dren : Ruth S.. Charles P., and Stanley N. Preston. 8.
Margaret Appleton, a teacher. Mr. Nichols had ten
grandchildren and one great-grandchild, David Tree-
man Brewster, 3rd.



WILLIAM D. GRAHAM was born November i,
1888, in Haverhill. Massachusetts, son of David W.
Graham, a shoe worker formerly of Eastport, Maine,
and Minnie (Brewster) Graham. The public and high
schools of Haverhill afforded Mr. Graham his early
education and he also received private instruction from
Herman Williams of Haverhill. , His first business ex-
perience was obtained with Lawrence Lyons, of Boston,
with whom he was employed as an advertising artist,
and after a year went to work in the same line of busi-
ness on his own account, under the name of William D.
Graham Company of Haverhill and Boston, Massachu-
setts, remaining four years in this line, and then became
associated with the Ra>Tnond Syndicate of, Boston.
After several successful years with this firm, Mr. Gra-
ham returned to Haverhill and was with the "Telegram
Press" until 1918, when he went in the art-sign busi-
ness, and in this venture has been very successful ; he
makes his headquarters in Haverhill, and through his
artistic and superior work has built up a large and
thriving business.

Mr. Graham married, in 1913, Joyce E. Fletcher,
daughter of Joseph Fletcher, of Nova Scotia, and Kezia
(Daken) Fletcher. Mr. Fletcher was a carpenter and
followed his trade in Foxcroft. Maine, where he died
in 1914; his wife is now a resident of Boston. Mr. and
Mrs. Graham are the parents of a daughter, Dorothy
Fletcher Graham.



EDWIN S. LANE — One of the important industries
of Amesbury, Massachusetts, for many years before the
automobile succeeded the horse-drawn vehicle was the
business of carriage building, and many prominent and
influential citizens of the past generation were engaged
in this line of work. One of those who attained suc-
cess, both financially and other ways, was Edwin S.
Lane, who for many years was one of the useful men of
Amesbury; he was active in many ways outside of his
business interests, and ever interested in all progres-
sive movements.

Mr. Lane was born in Hampton, New Hainpshire,
May 13, 1845, and died in 1902, at Amesbury. He was
educated in the district schools of his native town and
Hampton Academy, and at an early age began to make
his own living. He apprenticed himself to learn the
trade of carriage making, and as a journeyman, located
in Amesbury. Subsequently he engaged in business for
himself, and his high quality of workmanship soon
brought him increased trade. In 1885 he retired, selling
his business to his brother. This business developed



and increased many times over the start, and carriages
built in his factory were known to be all that skilled
workmanship and art could manufacture.

Mr. Lane married Anna G. Tucker, born in Salisbury
Point, April 12, 1846, and they were the parents of
three sons : George O. ; Harvey S. ; and Harlan S. ;
also of two daughters : Cora Belle and Gertrude M.
Lane. There also are four grandchildren.



JOHN P. TRUE— On September 27, 1917, the town
of Amesbury, Massachusetts, lost one of its most influ-
ential and prominent citizens in the death of John P.
True. Mr. True was born in a house situated on the
town line between Seabrook and Southampton, New
Hampshire. February 27, 1826. His younger days were
spent on the homestead, attending school during the
winter months and working about the farm in the
summer. Later, when finishing school, Mr. True con-
tinued to engage in farming, and was thus employed for
several years. He became interested in tanning leather
and this led into the manufacturing end of this busi-
ness ; subsequently, Mr. True removed to Amesbury,
Massachusetts, and there manufactured leather goods,
meeting with well-deserved success.

Mr. True married Mary A. Wells Morrell, daughter
of Jeremiah and Mary (Wells) Morrell, natives of
Salisbury, Massachusetts. Mr. and Mrs. True were the
parents of a son, born in Salisbury, now residing in
Framingham, Massachusetts. They were also the par-
ents of a daughter, Addie L. True, who resides at the
homestead in Amesbury. Mrs. True is now deceased.



JOHN BROWN GORDON— Of the eighty-five
residents of Haverhill, Massachusetts, who were mem-
bers of the Haverhill Fire Department in 1882, the
number living could probably be counted on the fingers
of one hand, and of the number only one is still in
active service. He is Chief (jordon, who has been chief
of the Haverhill Fire Department for thirty-two years,
and will probably be until he of his own accord elects
to resign. He is now in his seventy-second year, but his
life has been an active one, and he is still an enthusiastic
and useful public servant.

John Brown Gordon was born in Sandown, New
Hampshire, on June 10, 1849, son of James R. and Lucy
(Wells) Gordon, the latter a native of Sandown, New
Hampshire. James R. Gordon, born in Brentwood, New
Hampshire, was a blacksmith at Sandown and Chester,
New Hampshire, for the greater part of his life, and
died in 1876. He worked for the Under Edge Tool
Company when they first started in business.

John B. Gordon, in his boyhood, attended the Chester,
New Hampshire, public schools, and took a higher
course at the Chester Academy, where one of his pre-
ceptors was John K. Lord, of Hanover, New Hamp-
shire. He also finds pleasure in recalling that while at
the academy he shared desks with Daniel Chester
French, who became so noted a sculptor, among whose
works is "The Minute Man of Concord," at Concord,
Massachusetts. After his schooling was at an end,
John B. Gordon began to work for his father, and
learned the trade of blacksmith. Mr. Gordon was of
an observing and inventive mind, and while working at
the smithy thought out the principle of the detachable




^^^^^r/'^STTvW^



BIOGRAPHICAL



427



caulk on horse shoes. He perfected the device, and put
it into use, but it was never patented, and he therefore
did not benefit financially as fully as he might have.
A caulk following the same principle is to-day in very
general use. Fifty years have passed since Chief Gor-
don came to Haverhill and opened a smithy on Court
street. The shop he started under his own name in
1872, was, it has been stated, the largest of its kind that
Haverhill has ever had.

Forty years ago Mr. Gordon joined the local fire
department. He is still an active member; indeed has
been continuously chief since 1893; and during the
thirty-two years as such he has had to deal with many
threatening conflagrations. It is in great measure due
to the vigilance and careful inspection Chief Gordon
has given, that Haverhill has not experienced disas-
trous fires like those which have menaced, and in some
cases wiped out, other eastern cities. Mr. Gordon was
elected captain in 1883; appointed call chief in i8go, and
in the same year became permanent chief of the fire de-
partment. During his decades of public service. Chief
Gordon has been the recipient of many tokens of the
respect and appreciation of his comrades, and of the
public in general.

Chief Gordon is a member of the local body of the
Knights of Pythias, and for very many years has been
a member of the Haverhill Baptist Church.

Chief Gordon married, in 1877, Jennie P. Abbott, of
Ossipee, New Hampshire, daughter of Henry R. and
Phoebe (Bicksford) Abbott, of New England families.
Her mother was born in Rochester, New Hampshire, and
her father, Henry R. Abbott, in North Berwick, Maine.
He followed the ancestral occupation of farming, and
died on October 24, 1859. Mr. and Mrs. Gordon have
one child, a son, Louis J., who was born in Newton,
New Hampshire, in 1879. He is now resident in Wel-
lesley, Massachusetts, and is of the New England Mu-
tual Life Insurance Company of that place. He mar-
ried Frances Milner, of New Brunswick, arid the ne.xt
generation of the Gordon family is represented in their
children : Rich Milner and Eileen Gordon.



STANISLAS FUGERE was born in St. Valier,
Quebec, Canada, on December 3. 1883, and is a son of
Maglorie and Julie (Bourgault) Fugere. When he was
a child of six his parents removed to the United States,
locating in Salem, Massachusetts. There he attended
the public schools and Jolliette College, learning rapidly,
and making many friends among his schoolmates. On
looking about for a field of activity at the close of his
college course, the young man decided on a business
career. He started in the grocery business in Salem,
and continued there for nine years. He was induced
to go to Easthampton, Massachusetts, and removing
there, conducted a grocery business in that city for nine
years.

Mr. Fugere then made a radical change in his line of
business ; disposing of his interest in the grocery store,
he took a preparatory course to fit himself for his new
field. He entered the New England Institute of Anat-
omy, from which he was graduated in 1913. He passed
the examinations of the Massachusetts State Board,
and in that same year opened an office at Salem as an
undertaker and embalmer. Well fitted by nature for



work of this kind, requiring, as it does, tact and a sin-
cere appreciation of the serious things of life, Mr.
Fugere has established himself among the people of
Salem, and commands the work in this line from the
best families of the city and vicinity. He is cordially
liked and respected, and has advanced to a position
where he does a really successful business.

Mr. Fugere has many social and fraternal connec-
tions. He is a member of the Loyal Order of Moose;
the Artisan's Order of Mutual Protection; La Societe
St. Jean Eaptiste; Union St. Jean Baptiste of America;
and of the Catholic Foresters of America. Politically
he is affiliated with the Republican party, and is a
staunch supporter of its policies.

Mr. Fugere married, in Clinton, Massachusetts, on
February 12, 1906, Alma Robinson, of that place. They
have six children, as follows: Wilfred, who studied
for the priesthood at Assumption College, Worcester,
for two years, is now at the Salem High School;
Emilie; Cecile; Bernatte; Raymond; and Claire. The
family are members of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic
Church.



GEORGE DUFFETT— One of the well-known
manufacturers of heels in Lynn, Massachusetts, that
important centre of shoe manufacturing, is George Duf-
fett, sole owner now of the firm of DufTett & Green,
established twenty-three years ago.

George Duffett was born in Newfoundland on August
30, 1867, the son of John and Diana (Sutton) Duffett,
of that part of the Dominion of Canada. John Duffett
was a ship carpenter, and died in 1918, but his wife, the
mother of George Duffett, of Lynn, died when the latter
was only twelve years old, in 1879. She was the mother
of six children. John DuflFett married (second) Emily
Sparks, and of this union five children were born.

George Duflfett attended the public schools of his
native place in his boyhood, but was not very old when
he took to the sea, at the outset accompanying his father
to the fishing grounds, and for several years thereafter
being connected with the fishing industry of Newfound-
land. Eventually he entered the service of the Canadian
Government, revenue department, and for three years
was a special officer on a revenue cutter. However, in
1 891, he came to the United States, and settled in Lynn,
Massachusetts. For a year after coming he was in the
employ of the Lynn Gas and Electric Company; for the
next six years he was in the factory of the Bowen Heel
Company of Lynn. There he learned that branch of the
shoe industry, and at the end of six years of service he
resolved to start in independent business in the same
line. He formed partnership with Mr. Green, and the
two established the firm of Duffett & Green, and began
to manufacture heels for the local shoe manufacturers.
In 1900 Mr. Duffett acquired the interest of his part-
ner, and since has been sole owner of the business,
which he now conducts under his own name. His plant
is situated at No. 519 Eastern avenue, Lynn, and is
equipped with the most modern machinery. The factory
finds steady work for twenty-five persons, has 6,000
feet of floor space, and a capacity for 20,000 heels a
day. Mr. Duffett is therefore one of the largest manu-
facturers of heels in the Lynn district.

Mr. DufTet has long been a Mason, having advanced



428



ESSEX COUNTY



to the commandery. He is a member of the Swamp-
scott Masonic Club, and also belongs to the local bodies
of Odd Fellows.

Mr. Duffett married, in 1900, Flora A. Strong, also of
Newfoundland, where her father was a fisherman. She
is the daughter of Samuel and Catharine (Gooby)
Strong. Mr. and Mrs. Duffett have two children:
Marion I., who was born in 1905 ; and Ruth E., bom in
1907. Both children show marked musical ability.



Mr. Simpson married, in 1914, Mary A. Pendergast,
born at Lowell, Massachusetts, April 7, 1885, and they
are the parents of a son, Andrew Lawrence Simpson,
born June 28, 1916.



JOHN KIRBY — For si-xty-two years a resident of
Danvers, Massachusetts, and for the greater part of
that time active in the industrial world, John Kirby
lived a life of usefulness, and was always interested in
the progress of events. He passed away in September,
1921, at the age of eighty-five years.

Mr. Kirby was bom in County Kerr>', Ireland, on
February I, 1836, and there received a practical educa-
tion in the National schools of his native land. Coming
to the United States in 1853, he located in Natick, Mas-
sachusetts, later removing to Danvers. Since 1859 Mr.
Kirby had been a resident of Danvers, early establish-
ing himself as a shoemaker. He trained his children to
useful activities, and his sons became successful busi-
ness men. In 1898 Mr. Kirby's two sons bought what
was then known as the Rice block. This is an old but
substantial structure, built in 1847, and here they con-
duct a market, shoe store, and shoe repairing shop.

Mr. Kirby married, in i860, in Danvers, Mary J. Hal-
lessey, who was born in Ireland; she died in February,
1918. They had five children: Ellen; Mary; P. Henry;
John F. ; and Margaret. The members of Mr. Kirby's
family belong to the Roman Catholic church.



JOHN HENRY SIMPSON, assistant superintend-
ent of the Farwell Bleachery Company, was born in
Lancashire, England, October 30, 1879, the son of Henry
Simpson, also born in Lancashire, in 1847, and died in
1888; he w-as engaged in textile lines during his active
life. Mr. Simpson's mother, Catherine (Kenna) Simp-
son, was a native of Belfast, Ireland, and died in 1920,
aged seventy-three years.

After attending the public schools of his home town,
John H. Simpson came to America, and was a student
at the Lowell High School. After leaving school he
went to work, his first position being with the Merri-
mac Print Works, where he remained for six years,
and at the time of resigning, had worked upward to the
position of foreman.

Mr. Simpson removed to Providence, Rhode Island,
and there entered the employ of the United States Fin-



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 36 of 56)