Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 37 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 37 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ishing Company, and after five years returned to Massa-
chusetts, to the city of Lawrence, and secured a posi-
tion as foreman of the Farwell Bleachery Company, in
the finishing department. After two years there he
went to New Jersey, where he held a similar position
with the Standard Bleachery at Carleton Hill, Passaic
county, later becoming superintendent of the finishing
room. Returning again to Lawrence at the end of two
years, Mr. Simpson became assistant superintendent of
the Farwell Bleachery Company, which position he now
holds. He is a man skilled in his line of work, and is
well known among the leading citizens of Lawrence. In
politics he is a Republican.



FREDERICK WILLIAM MATHISON, who owns
Mathison's Garage at Merrimac, Massachusetts, is a
native of Lawrence, same State, born there on June 17,
1892. His parents, Olef and Caroline (King) Mathison,
were of European birth, his father having been born in
Sweden, and his mother in Hamburg, Germany. They
did not meet, however, until both were in this country,
and after marriage they made their home in Lawrence,
Massachusetts, where Frederick William spent all the
years of his childhood and youth. He was able to pass
through the Lawrence High School before giving up
academic studies and taking up the serious work of life.
His first employment, however, was not in Lawrence.
He went to New York and there worked as a clerk for
more than two years in the store of the James H. Dun-
ham Dry Goods Company. Returning to Lawrence, he
spent the next two years in the employ of a relative,
August Mathison, a building contractor there. Next he
worked for Otto Steinard, also of Lawrence and also
in the contracting business. However, a year later he
began to work as a carpenter for E. W. Pitman & Com-
pany, of Lawrence, and with that company he remained
for five years, at the end of that period taking up inde-
pendent business as a carpenter and contractor in Law-
rence. He continued as a master carpenter until 1917,
when he moved to Merrimac, and there worked for the
J. B. Judkins Company for a year. During the time of
the World War, he enrolled in the vital shipbuilding
effort. He entered government service, and for a year
(1918) was a foreman for the government in the Shat-
tuck shipyard, at Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The '
emergency over, he returned to Massachusetts, and for a
while found work at Amesbury, making automobile
bodies for the Amesbury Body Company. Following
that line, he eventually again took up residence in Mer-
rimac, and worked in the plant of the Merrimac Body
Company for about a year. In 1920 he decided to open
independently in the automobile repair and supply busi-
ness at Merrimac. He established what is known as
Mathison's Garage, and has had no reason to be disap-
pointed in the enterprise, which is developing satisfac-
torily. Mr. Mathison is of optimistic spirit, and is alert
and enterprising.

Politically he is a Republican, and fraternally a Mason
and Odd Fellow, belonging to the Bethany (Merrimac)
lodge of the former, and the Lawrence body of Odd
Fellows. He is a member of the Baptist church of
Lawrence.

Mr. Mathison has been twice married. His first wife,
whom he married in 1915, was Florence Latervase. of
Lawrence, Massachusetts, who died in 1917; one child,
a daughter, Dorothy Carolina, was born of this mar-
riage, April 22, 1916. He married (second), in 1919,
Agnes Fitzgerald, of Merrimac.



HARLAND A. SAWYER, general manager of the
Amesbury Electric Light Company, of Amesbury, Mas-
sachusetts, was born in that town January 21, 1868, son
of Aaron and Lois D. (Jones) Sawyer. He attended



BIOGRAPHICAL



429



the public schools, and in 1890 graduated from Cornell
University. Immediately, Mr. Sawyer engaged in busi-
ness for himself as an electrical contractor, and fol-
lowed this occupation for several successful years. His
knowledge of electrical matters, both in theory and prac-
tice, made him a very desirable man for the interests
of the lighting plant of Amesbury, and he became asso-
ciated with this company as superintendent in 19:2, soon
after becoming manager, and in 1920 was appointed gen-
eral manager, which office he now capably holds.

An able man of affairs, Mr. Sawyer has held several
other important offices, among them being : Manager of
the Merrimac Power and Building Company; president
and director of the Amesbury National Bank ; and
director of the Powow River National Bank, which he
served as vice-president in 1920. Mr. Sawyer is a mem-
ber of the firm of the Sargent Coal Company, and a
former treasurer of the Board of Trade, of Amesbury,
which office he has held since the organization of this
body. He is a member of the New England section of
the National Electric Light Association.

On November 16, 1892, Mr. Sawyer married Harriet
E. Mason, daughter of Charles W. and Cornelia R.
(Rogers) Mason, of New Haven, Vermont, and she
died December 6, 1919. They were the parents of a
daughter, Lois M., born May 29, 1904. Mr. Sawyer
attends the Christian Science church, as did Mrs. Saw-
yer before her passing away.



EDGAR H. MURPHY, who for eight years has
conducted a growing plumbing and sheet metal business
in Haverhill, Massachusetts, under the trading name of
the E. H. Murphy Company, was born in Skowhegan,
Maine, June 26, 1882, son of Lyman D. and Andell L.
(Levett) Murphy, the latter of an Athens, Maine, fam-
ily, and the former of Skowhegan, Maine, where he was
engaged in the electrical business.

Edgar H. Murphy was educated in the public schools
of Skowhegan, graduating from the high school of that
place with the class of 1901. Soon afterwards he began
a commercial course at Gray's Business College, Port-
land, Maine. After graduating therefrom he began his
business career in the employ of the N. S. Stewart
Company, of Skowhegan. They were plumbers, and in
their employ Mr. Murphy served an apprenticeship at
that trade. Eventually he came to Haverhill, where
he found employment at his trade with Murray & Dug-
dale, remaining with them until 1913, when he decided
to start in business for himself. He established the firm
of the E. H. Murphy Company in that year, and has
since steadily developed that business. This company
caters to general plumbing needs, sheet metal and heat-
ing, also welding, and carries a full line of supplies,
and also specializes in Gurney heaters. Their place of
business is at the corner of White and Vine streets,
Haverhill.

Mr. Murphy has interestedly followed public affairs,
especially those of his own city; he is a member of the
Haverhill Chamber of Commerce, and belongs to many
fraternal orders. He belongs to Saggahew Lodge of
Masons, and formerly to Somerset Lodge, of Skow-
hegan, Maine, and to Somerset Lodge, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, of the same place. While resid-
ing in Maine, he took an active part in military afifairs.



For six years he was a first lieutenant of Company E,
Maine National Guard, Second Maine Regiment, but
since he has been in Massachusetts and in business for
himself, he has not been able to follow military incli-
nations. His business calls for most of his time, and
he has eight men working for him. He is a member
of the Master Plumbers' Association, and socially be-
longs to the Agawam and Wachusett clubs, of Haver-
hill. By religious conviction he is a Congregationalist,
and a member of the North Congregational Men's Club,
of Haverhill.

Mr. Murphy married, in 1902, Frances Altana Emer-
son, of his native place. They have one child, Altana
Emerson Murphy.



ERNEST K. HIGH was born at Westbrook, Maine,
on October 31, 1893, and is a son of William and Betsy
(Kinmond) High. His father, who was born in Scot-
land, was a sailor and served as a mariner under both
the British and American flags. His mother, who was
also born in Scotland, is now a resident of Methuen,
Massachusetts.

Mr. High received his early education in the public
schools of Methuen, whither his family had moved while
he was still quite yoimg. He also attended Cannon's
Commercial School and took various courses in the
La Salle Extension University, .^fter having com-
pleted his studies in 1909, he obtained employment at
the Pacific Mills, where he has worked ever since. He
has held the position of assistant paymaster since 1917,
and at the present time has charge of the paymaster's
office at the Pacific Print Works.

Mr. High is a member of the First Congregational
Church of Methuen. In politics he is a Republican. He
is a member of John Hancock Lodge, Free and
Accepted Masons, of Methuen; Lowell Council, Royal
and Select Masters; Boston Consistory; and .\leppo
Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic
Shrine. He also is a member of Clan McPherson.

Mr. High married Bertha Fisher, of North Adams,
Massachusetts, in 1917. Mrs. High was born on August
4, 1896. Mr. and Mrs. High have no children.



THEODORE KENNEDY was born at Pea'body,
Massachusetts, in 1871, and is a son of Jackson and
Mary Elizabeth (Goodwin) Kennedy. His father, who
was a mason by trade, was born in Maine, but lived at
Danvers, Massachusetts, during the greater part of his
life. He had a large family, consisting of six sons and
three daughters. His children, in the order of their
ages, are: Jackson; Emma; Herbert; Nora; Theodore,
of whom further; Bertha; Homer; Ralph; and Harold.

Mr. Kennedy received his education in the public
schools of Peabody. He early developed a strong
affection for the land and decided to take up the study
of agriculture. With the exception of a few years
spent in the teaming and hauling business, his life has
been devoted to his chosen calling, and he is well known
as a progressive and energetic farmer and dairyman,
and keeps on an average fifteen head of milch cows. He
settled at Danvers, Massachusetts, where he now lives,
in March, 1912. He attends the Baptist church.

Mr. Kennedy married Bessie Shaw, who was born in
Nova Scotia. Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy have six chil-



430



ESSEX COUNTY



dren : Raymond, who married Nina Grey ; Blanche,
who married George Shaw; Lena, the wife of Sumner
Simm ; Pearl; Ruth, the wife of Harry W. Grover; and
Herman.



MAURICE J. MAHONEY— For more than seventy
years a resident of Lawrence, Massachusetts, and for
upwards of fifty years at the head of his present under-
taking business. Maurice J. Mahoney is a figure of wide
prominence in this vicinity.

Mr. Mahoney is a son of John J. Mahoney, who was
born in Ireland in 1826. He came to this country in
1850, locating in Lawrence, with his little family. He
filled the position of sexton for Father O'Donnell, the
first priest of St. Mary's Parish, then founded the pres-
ent undertaking business on January i, 1865. He placed
it on a firm foundation, and saw the business grow to
an important interest, but was denied the full fruits of
his own success by his death on December 19, 1873, in
the prime of life. The undertaking business which
John J. Mahoney founded is now the oldest house in
the city in this line of endeavor.

Maurice J. Mahoney was born in County Cork, Ire-
land, on .August 15, 1847. Coming to Lawrence with his
parents when only three years of age, it was in the
public schools of this city that he received his education.
He started life in the industrial world as a machine shop
apprentice, serving from 1863 to 1865. Thereafter he
followed the machinist's trade for about eight years.
The death of his father, however, changed the course of
his future. He took over the undertaking business laid
down by his father, conducting it for the estate. Even-
tually he decided to continue it, and with the neces-
sary preparation, received his license on February 24,
1874. He has since conducted the business continuously,
and although his sons are now associated with him, and
are taking much of the responsibility from his shoul-
ders, he still holds the management and general over-
sight of the business. He has always kept up with the
progress of the times, and now has a complete motor
equipment of the most modern type.

In various interests outside his business Mr. Mahoney
bears a part. For sixteen years he was a member of
the School Committee of Lawrence. He is a member
of the Knights of Columbus, of which order he was a
charter member, and was first grand knight of Law-
rence Council, No. 67. He is a member of the Benev-
olent and Protective Order of Elks, No. 65, and is also
a member of St. Mary's Holy Name Society. He has
for many years been a member of the Lawrence Cham-
ber of Commerce.

For seventy years Mr. Mahoney has been a member of
St. Mary's Parish, and for a period of fifty years he
sang baritone in the choir of the church.

On October 10, 1877, Mr. Mahoney married Ellen A.
Holihan, of Lawrence. They are the parents of four-
teen children, of whom eleven are now living : I. John
William, associated with his father in business, who
served two years with the 26th Division, loist Infantry,
and loist Ammunition Train, American Expeditionary
Forces, holding the rank of captain and regimental
adjutant of the loist Ammunition Train; he is a mem-
ber of the American Legion, Post No. 15, Veterans of
Foreign Wars; Military Order of the United States,



Massachusetts Commandery ; Lawrence Council, No. 67,
Knights of Columbus ; Lawrence Lodge, No. 65, Benev-
olent and Protective Order of Elks; Division i. Ancient
Order of Hibernians, of Lawrence ; Lawrence .'\erie,
Fraternal Order of Eagles; and many clubs. He mar-
ried Marguerite White, daughter of Joseph T. White,
of Lawrence, and they have one daughter, Rose, born
March 31, 1921. 2. Mary E., wife of Francis A. Guini-
van, of Philadelphia, and they have one daughter, Rose-
mary. 3. Maurice J., Jr., who married Dorothy Keefe,
of Lawrence, and they have one son, Maurice J., 3rd.
4. Theresa A., wife of Patrick J. Donovan, of Andover,
Massachusetts; they are the parents of four children:
William, John, Eleanora, Charles. 5. Vincent A., resident
agent of the Aetna Life Insurance Company, in Law-
rence. 6. J. Aloyse, who was supervisor of music in the
Lawrence schools, and who died in 1919. 7. Joseph A.,
also associated with, his father in business. 8. Captain
Charles A., of the United States army, a West Point
graduate, of the Fourth Division, 59th Regiment, Amer-
ican Expeditionary Forces, who was wounded in battle,
and who served as provost marshal of the city of Lon-
don. 9. Genevieve E. 10. Madeline E., who is the wife
of Frank L- Carey, a prominent Lawrence attorney;
they have one daughter, Marie, n. Eleanor H. 12.
Claire F. The other two children are deceased. The
family home is at No. 180 Hampshire street, in
Lawrence.



CHARLES E. COLLINS, agent of the Methuen

Mills, at Methuen, and the Pemberton Mills, at Law-
rence, Massachusetts, has been the architect of his own
life. Through his industry, ambition and ability he
carved his way upward through the various positions
to the important office he holds to-day.

Mr. Collins was born October 2, 1868, at Salem, Mas-
sachusetts, son of Edward Collins, of that town, and
Rebecca G. (Symonds) Collins. The former survives
his wife, whose death occurred in 1918. In his day
Edward Collins was one of the foremost men of Salem.
He was a salesman in his active days in coal and bark
lines, dealing principally with tanneries. He was born
in Salem, in 1838, and was several times honored with
public office. He was a member of the Salem School
Board for many years; for two years served in the
Common Council; was overseer of the poor; repre-
sentative to the Legislature for two terms ; treasurer
of the Fifth Congressional District, and for a quarter
of a century chairman of the Republican Committee of
Ward Five.

Charles E. Collins was educated in the public schools
of Salem and was a member of the Salem High School,
class of 1886. His first experience in the business world
was in the employ of the Nevin's Manufacturing Com-
pany, remaining for five years, thence removing to
Methuen, Massachusetts, where he entered the employ
of the Methuen Mills. For a time he worked in the
office of the mills and then was appointed overseer of
one of the departments. His next promotion was to
the position of superintendent, and soon after this he
was appointed agent of the two plants of the company,
a position entailing great responsibility and one which
he has very ably filled. These mills carry 50,000 spin-
dles and 1,500 looms.



BIOGRAPHICAL



431



Mr. Collins is a Republican, but not an active politi-
cian. He is a member of the National Cotton Manu-
facturers' .Association, and the Methuen Home Club.

Mr. Collins married, in 1914. Vesta V. French, of
Aroostook county, Maine. They attend the First Bap-
tist Church of Methuen.



CHARLES HEYWOOD GREEN— The first to
build a garage in the Lewis street section of Lynn, Mas-
sachusetts, was Charles Heywood Green, an enterprising
business man. He is benefiting by his initiative in that,
and also perhaps more notably in another unique enter-
prise which has made him known throughout New
England. His extensive and well-organized touring
parties, especially his White Mountain tours, have added
very materially to his prestige in his native town, and
outside.

Mr. Green was born in Lynn, Massachusetts, October
I, 1888, son of Charles L. and Susie F. (Hill) Green, of
Lynn. His father, who died in 1919, was a salesman,
and as a Lynn resident was much respected.

Charles H. Green was educated in the public schools
of Lynn, and also of Mount Hermon. After leaving
school he was for three years in the employ of the
United States Shoe Machinery Company, and at the
end of that time left them to venture into business for
himself. He opened a grocery store, under his own
name, at Swampscott, and developed it to some extent,
but was influenced to sell it and take advantage of other
opportunities which were in sight if he gave his time
to another line of business. He built a garage at No.
142 Lewis street, Lynn, and was the pioneer in that
business in that part of the city. He has since con-
ducted a very active business. His garage is complete
and up-to-date in every particular, and his other busi-
ness development has so expanded his automobile busi-
ness that it has been found necessary to erect new
buildings, so as to properly cope with the volume of
trade. Mr. Green is a man of clear vision and original-
ity of thought, quick to act when he sees an opportu-
nity. And out of the original idea he has quite rapidly
developed an appreciable business in automobile tours
throughout the East. His White Mountain Tours have
become very popular, and he is now getting the returns
that come out of resolutely followed initiative. He is
quite young yet, and has not been in business for very
many years, but it is astonishing what a number of
people throughout New England know of him and his
tours.

Mr. Green married, in 1912, Gladys B. Ham, of Lynn.
They have two children : Doris Phillips, who was born
in 1914; and Margaret Famsworth, born in 1918.



CHARLES E. MATTESON. general superintendent
of the Farwell Bleachery Company, of Lawrence, Mas-
sachusetts, was born January 19, 1872, in Hyde Park,
Massachusetts, son of Charles N. Matteson, who was
born in July, 1840, in Coventry, Rhode Island, where
he was engaged in textile pursuits. The latter served
three years during the Civil War in the Third Rhode
Island Heavy Artillery, and was a member of San ford
Post, Grand Army of the Republic, of North Adams.
Massachusetts, where he resided during his latter years.



He married Mary Gorton, also of Coventry, and her
death occurred in 1879.

Charles E. Matteson was educated in the public and
high schools and also attended Brown University, and
these courses were supplemented with a course in the
International Correspondence School. The first position
held by Mr. Matteson was with the Arnold Print
Works of North Adams, and there he was employed in
the engineering department. In all. he remained there
for twelve years and during this time was advanced to
the positions of foreman and assistant engineer, respec-
tively.

The native State of his father next claimed his resi-
dence, and there he was employed by the Sayles Bleach-
ery Company, holding the position of mechanical super-
intendent for three years. This work brought him in
contact with the Dominion Textile Company of Can-
ada, and there he held a similar position for two years,
then returning to Massachusetts, he assumed the posi-
tion of superintendent of the Farwell Bleachery Com-
pany of Lawrence, which he has ably held to the pres-
ent time.

Mr. Matteson is among the well-known and esteemed
citizens of Lawrence, and as a member of the Repub-
lican party, takes an active interest in all public matters.
He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows, of North ,'\dams, and Lawrence Lodge, No. 65,
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.

Mr. Matteson married, in 1893, Amelia MacNulty,
born April 15, 1873, at North Adams, and their chil-
dren are: Ernest; Agnes; Helen; and Mildred, all born
in North Adams. Ernest Matteson, the eldest child,
enlisted in the United States navy, and was stationed
at Newport, Rhode Island, from 191 7 to 1919, and then
discharged with the rank of first class seaman.



JAMES E. KNIFE, assistant treasurer of the Haver-
hill Trust Company, of Haverhill, Massachusetts, was
born at Exeter, New Hampshire, February 2, 1891, and
was educated in the public schools of that place. In
1908 he graduated from the high school, and spent the
following year at the Haverhill Business College. On
July 15, 1909, Mr. Knipe entered the employ of the
Haverhill Trust Company.

Mr. Knipe is a Republican in politics, actively inter-
ested in all public affairs. He served in the World
War, serving thirteen months. Fraternally he is a
member of the Knights of Columbus; he resides at No.
35 Chandler street, Bradford District.

Mr. Knipe married, at West Newbury, Massachu-
setts, April 21, 1919, M. Irene Powers, born at Haver-
hill, daughter of Dennis and Mary A. (Moylan)
Powers.



KARL S. BRACKETT, florist, of Haverhill, Mas-
sachusetts, was born in Brockton, Massachusetts, Octo-
ber 9, 1878, the son of Walter F. and Jennie (Starkey)
Brackett. His father, who is still living, was a teacher
for the greater part of his adult years. He was of a
Massachusetts family, but in the maternal line. Karl S.
Brackett comes of a Maine family.

Mr. Brackett was well educated, for after passing
through the public schools of Chester and Haverhill,



432



ESSEX COUNTY



and being otherwise prepared, he entered Dartmouth
College, from which, eventually, with the class of 1904,
he was graduated. After leaving college, he was for
some years connected with the New England Telephone
Company, but in 1914 resolved to open in business for
himself as a florist and horticulturist. His store is at
No. 38 Winter street, Haverhill, and he has done a
satisfactory business to the present time.

Mr. Brackett is one of the active business men of
Haverhill, taking a helpful interest in the public affairs
that concern his city. He is a member of the Haver-
hill Chamber of Commerce, and the local Rotary Club;
he also belongs to the Agawam Club. Fraternally he is
affiliated with the Masonic order. Knights of Pythias,
and the Junior Order of United American Mechanics.

Mr. Brackett married, in 1904, Gertrude Harding,
daughter of Albert G. and Alice G. (Cheney) Harding,
of Haverhill, Massachusetts. They have one child, a
daughter, Dorothy M.



ELLIS LAYCOCK, general agent of the three mills
owned by the United States Worsted Company, with
headquarters in Lawrence, Massachusetts, is a native
of Cowling, Yorkshire, England, where he was born
September 2, 1864. He obtained his education in the
public schools of Bradford, England, and then started
his business career in his father's employ, he being a
textile manufacturer in Bradford. At the age of
eighteen years Mr. Laycock left his native land and
came to Lawrence, Massachusetts, where he obtained
employment with the Pacific Mills Company, as a
weaver, remaining there about five years, after which
time he returned to England, and in order to perfect
his experience and develop his natural ability, attended
the textile school at Bradford for a time. After his
graduation he went to South Africa and for five years
was engaged in railroad construction work, gaining
experiences of value to him in any walk of life.

Returning again to the United States, he was located



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 37 of 56)