Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 38 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 38 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in the southern states, working in various mills for
some years, gradually coming northward, and working
as loom fixer in the Lorraine Mills in Rhode Island, and
as loom fitter for the Crompton & Knowles Company
at Worcester. Mr. Laycock was employed for five
years at Unionville, Massachusetts, in the interests of
the Worcester Textile Company, there holding the posi-
tion of boss weaver and boss finisher, later becoming
overseer. After leaving Worcester Mr. Laycock was
employed in Lowell, still as overseer in textile indus-
tries, and when the Lowell concern, the Muketaquid
Mill, was merged with the United States Worsted Com-
pany in 1909, he was appointed superintendent. Two
years later he came to Lawrence, Massachusetts, in the
interests of the same company and was made superin-
tendent there, holding this position until 1913, in which
year he was appointed general agent of the three mills,
Mr. Laycock has proved himself worthy of the respon-
sible position he holds, and his vast experience com-
bined with his theoretical training make an ideal combi-
nation for his post.

Mr. Laycock is a member of the Chamber of Com-
merce of Lawrence: of the Young Men's Christian
Association, and in political faith is a Republican, His
fraternal affiliations include : Member of the Independ-



ent Order of Odd Fellows; the Masonic order, belong-
ing to Excelsior Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of
Franklin, Massachusetts ; and Royal Arch Masons'
Chapter, in Lowell.

Mr. Laycock married, in 1896, Emily Brown, born in
.\pril, 1864, at Stockport, England, and they are the
parents of the following children : Ethel, born in March,
1897, died in 1918; Edward Arthur, born in April,
1900; Albert, born in May, 1902: and Clarence, born in
June, 1905. Of these children the eldest son, Edward
Arthur, served in the Students' Corps of Dartmouth
College, and is now a member of the Boston "Evening
Globe" staff, and the second son, Albert, is learning
the textile business by practical experience, working
for the United States Worsted Company of Lawrence.



FREDERICK O'KEIFF— Well known in mercan-
tile circles in Essex, Massachusetts, Frederick O'Keiff
is following a practical line of business endeavor. Mr.
O'Keiff is a son of Dennis and Ada A. (Smith) O'Keiff,
of Ellsworth, Maine. Dennis O'Keiff is a veteran of the
Civil War, and is a member of Post No. 45, Grand
Army of the Republic, of Ellsworth.

Frederick O'Keiff was born in Ellsworth, Hancock
county, Maine, January 18, 1882, and received his edu-
.cation in the public schools of his native place. After
completing his school course he took up railroading,
which he followed until 1919, when he became manager
of the Essex store for the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea
Company, which position he is now filling, with excel-
lent success.

In 1905 Mr. O'Keiff married Cecelia McGlinchey,
daughter of Miles and Margaret McGlinchey, who were
both born in Ireland. Mr. McKlinchey was in the pro-
vision business, and died in 1896. The mother still sur-
vives her, and resides in Somerville, Massachusetts.
Mr. and Mrs, O'Keiff have five children : Agnes, Mary,
Cecelia, Dorothy, and Francis. The family are mem-
bers of St. .Ann's Roman Catholic Church, of Essex.



EDWIN PAYSON STANLEY, of Manchester,
Massachusetts, who is among the rapidly thinning ranks
of the Civil War veterans, is still actively engaged in
useful endeavor in a public capacity. As treasurer of
the town of Manchester for the past thirty years, his
life story is of interest to the people.

Mr. Stanley was born in Manchester, Massachusetts,
on May 26, 1844, and is a son of Paul and Statera
(Pert) Stanley, the father having been an old-time
cabinetmaker, and a life-time resident of Manchester.
Educated in the public schools, Mr. Stanley was still a
youth when the Civil War broke out. He enlisted in
December, 1861, when in the eighteenth year of his age,
and served until 1863. He was taken prisoner on July
30, 1862, but was later exchanged. In a six days' battle
at Glendale, he was severely wounded and was taken
prisoner at the time. In 1863 he was discharged as
totally disabled.

With his health permanently broken, the young man
went to Colorado, where he spent the next two years
trying to recuperate. Returning, thereafter, to his
native town, he worked for himself, as a painter, con-
tinuing along this line for about twelve years, when he
was obliged to give up active work for a time. In












^MH


1


^^^^^^^^^pfSS^^v i


^^4b^^^^H


H


^^^^^B:




1




"^H


H


^^^^^^^^^^^I^K^


-.•OX. ^ - i4%t.£..:^S^^^^^^^^^I^H^H


^^^^^^1




I ■•:. NEW YORK
■ ^^ LIBRARY



• - '■.■h, LENNOX ;.

ilLDEN FOUNDATIObfsl
■ I.,. I -■ ■■, i..ii



BIOGRAPHICAL



433



March, 1888, Mr. Stanley was elected tax collector for
the town of Manchester, which position he held for three
years. His services in this capacity were so acceptable
to the people that he was elected town treasurer in 1891,
and has been continuously reelected to this position
since, now still ably fulfilling his duties.

Mr. Stanley was made department commander of the
Grand .'Xrmy of the Republic in 1918, and has long been
a very active member of .■\llen Post, of Manchester,
which now (1922) has only si.x members left. He is
chairman of the State Memorial Commission, and is a
member of the Memorial Town Hall Committee. Fra-
ternally, Mr. Stanley is connected with the Masonic
lodges of both Manchester and Beverly. He is a mem-
ber of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and of
the Improved Order of Red Men. His religious con-
victions place his membership with the Congregational
church. Mr. Stanley is fond of painting, and in his
spare moments, from time to time, he has painted sev-
eral beautiful pictures of historic places of interest in
and around Manchester.

Mr. Stanley married, in 1870, Rachael J. Hobbs, of
Gloucester, Massachusetts, and they have one daughter,
Mary A. (Mrs. Thomas Baker), of Manchester.



AUSTIN J. RILEY— Until his death in 1912. at the
age of fifty-five. James F. Riley, of Fall River, Massa-
chusetts, was there engaged as a textile worker. He
married Catherine McDermott, of Fall River, and they
were the parents of Austin J. Riley, owner and manager
of the North Shore Utility Company of Salem, Massa-
chusetts.

Austin J. Riley was born at Fall River, Massachu-
setts, and there educated in the public schools. After
leaving school he spent three years as a worker in the
Mechanic Mill at Fall River, then entered the employ of
the National Window Company, of Boston, and re-
mained with that company for nine years. At the end
of that period he located in Lynn, Massachusetts, and
entered the same business for himself, under the name
of the North Shore Utility Company of Lynn. He
continued in the window cleaning business in Lynn until
1918, then removed to Salem, Massachusetts, where he
continues in the same business under the same name.

Mr. Riley married, in 1907, Rose S. Gendron, of Lynn,
daughter of Joseph and Rose S. Gendron, her father
a wood carver of Cambridge, Massachusetts, her
mother of Quebec, Canada.



FREDERICK A. BRYDEN was born at Edin-
burgh, Scotland, on February 16, 1872, and is a son of
Alexander and Frances (Sinclair) Bryden. His father,
who was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, was engaged in
the steel industry until his death. His mother, who was
also born in Edinburgh. Scotland, is still living there.

Mr. Bryden received his early education in the public
schools of England. After having completed his stud-
ies, he obtained employment in the steel industry with
which his father was connected, and spent four years
working in that industry. In 1886 he decided to leave
home and seek his fortune in a new country. Accord-
ingly, he gave up his connection with the steel industry
and came to the United States. He went to North

Essex — 2 — 28



Adams, Massachusetts, and obtained employment with
the Arnold Print Works of that city. He worked as an
assistant finisher at the Arnold Print Works, spending
four years there. At the end of that period, in 1900,
he moved to Rhode Island and obtained employment at
the Phillipsdale branch of the Sayles Bleachery, where
he worked as a finisher. He remained at the Sayles
Bleachery for thirteen years, at the end of which time
he was offered a position as superintendent of the fin-
ishing department of the Pacific Print Works at Law-
rence, Massachusetts. He accepted this position and
moved to Lawrence in 1913. He still holds the position
of superintendent of the finishing department, and is
well known throughout the city, both in the business and
social worlds.

Mr. Bryden is a member of St. Paul's Protestant
Episcopal Church of North Andover, of which he is a
vestryman. In politics he is a Republican. He is a
member of the Masonic Lodge at North Andover, and
the North Andover Club.

Mr. Bryden has twice been married. He has one son,
Frederick E., by his first marriage. He married (sec-
ond) Lillian Cryer, of Lowell, Massachusetts, in 1904,
and they are the parents of three children : Florence
Annie, Dorothy Lillian, and William Bryden.



LYMAN EARL WINN, a native son of H.iverhill,
Massachusetts, v^ born May 22, 1888, son of Henry
C. Winn, whose iJiography is found in detail elsewhere
in this work.

Lyman E. Winn was educated in the public and high
schools of that city. He attended the Lowell Textile
College and subsequently the Young Men's Christian
Association Automobile School of Boston, graduating in
1909. Thus equipped for his business career, Mr. Winn
entered the employ of the Hilliard & Cass Company, of
Haverhill, repairers of automobiles, and after four
years' experience there, became a private driver for
Moses S. Dow, where he remained for six years. Then
he entered the employ of the Atlantic Corporation, of
Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and after a year there,
returned to Haverhill to become associated with his
father in the garage and accessory business, which the
former had founded some time before. Mr. Winn is
now foreman of the business conducted under the name
of the Kenoza Garage, and is one of the leading citi-
zens of Haverhill.

Mr. Winn married, in 1909, Mildred C. Chase, daugh-
ter of Abram and Edith Chase, of Haverhill, and their
daughter, Olive Frances Winn, was born December 10,
1917. The family attends the Congregational church.



CHARLES EMERY HOYT, one of the substantial
citizens of Merrimac, Massachusetts, who has materially
aided in the upbuilding of that community for many
years, was born at West Newbury, same State, August
3, 1872, son of George W. Hoyt, also born there, April
10, 1833, and who died July 17, 1917. The latter mar-
ried (first) Mary Erwin, of Vermont, and a few years
after her death he married (second) Jane K. Noyes,
daughter of Stephen Emery Noyes, of West Newbury,
the latter born in Newbury, afterwards West Newbury,
June 21, 1810, and died February 14, 1893.



434



ESSEX COUNTY



Charles E. Hoyt was educated in the public schools of
Merrimac, and soon afterwards engaged in agricultural
pursuits in that town, which occupation he has fol-
lowed to the present time. He is one of the most pro-
gressive farmers of Essex county and his large pros-
perous farm is proof of his industry and excellent
management.

In politics, Mr. Hoyt is a Republican and he is a
member of several fraternal organizations, among them
being the following : Riverside Lodge, Independent Or-
der of Odd Fellows; the Rebekahs; and Merrimac
Grange. Mr. Hoyt has passed through all the chairs in
both the Odd Fellows and the Grange. With his fam-
ily he attends the Pilgrim Congregational Church of
Merrimac.

On November 26, 1908, Mr. Hoyt married Annie A.
Wells, born July 11, 1878, at Wells, Maine, daughter of
Benjamin Franklin Wells, born August 18, 1846, and his
wife, Cynthia Flagg (Littlefield) Wells, born April 27,
1848, at Wells, Maine. Mr. and Mrs. Hoyt are the par-
ents of two sons: George R., born July 15, 1911; and
Arthur W., born February 11, 1915.



EDWARD A. O'MAHONEY, who saw service with
the Twenty-eighth Engineers in France during the
World War, and was wounded in Argonne Forest, comes
of a family very well known in Lawrence, Massachu-
setts. His father had part in civic affairs there, and at
one time was one of the largest public works' con-
tractors in New England.

Edward A. O'Mahoney was born in Lawrence, Mas-
sachusetts, on June 19, 1885, the son of Michael and
Ellen G. (Donovan) O'Mahoney. The mother, who is
a native of Lawrence, is still living, but the father,
Michael O'Mahoney, was born in County Cork, Ireland,
and died in 1910, within a few months of being sixty-
two years of age. In his early association with Law-
rence affairs, he was the superintendent of streets. He
is best remembered, however, as a contractor, and in
that trade was responsible for some of the very large
public works' contracts of New England. As a con-
tractor, he was in partnership with Jesse Moulton, of
Boston, and they were responsible for the construction
of the Clinton Dam, the Spot Pond Reservoir, Fields
Point, Rhode Island, sewer, and Stony Brook sewers, of
Boston, Brookline Park, and the first filter gatherer in
Lawrence, which is the second largest in the country.
Among the many other large contracts they carried
through may be mentioned the Duck Bridge in Law-
rence.

Edward A. O'Mahoney, who is now continuing the
contracting coal and builders' supply business estab-
lished by his father in 1873, was not born until twelve
years after that time. He attended the Lawrence public
schools, graduating from the high school in the class
of 1904. From the high school he proceeded to the
Phillips Academy at Andover. His academic education
ended there, snd he entered the employ of a public
works' contractor. From that time until 1914 he was
employed successively on the following jobs; Extension
of New York, New Haven & Hartford railroad between
West Roxbury and Needham ; the Washington street
tunnel and Cove street bridge, and the State street
tunnel — all in Boston; East river tunnel. New York



City, and Pennsylvania station there ; paved Main street,
in Norfolk, \'irginia; and the Lachine aqueduct, from
Cote Saint Paul to Montreal. He then returned to the
United States and worked on the Ayer and Wood mills
in Lawrence, but later entered the employ of the M.
O'Mahoney estate (his father having died), and suc-
cessfully completed the Bloody Brook sewer in Law-
rence; built part of Lowell boulevard and paved many
streets in Lawrence ; also worked on the Boston &
Maine railroad's Mystic wharf in Boston; built part of
the boulevard between Lynn and Salem, and the foun-
dation for the Grossman building in Lynn. Since then
he has confined his operations to Lawrence and vicinity.
The original business headquarters were on Winter
street. Concord street being a later address. However,
the address since 1891 has been at No. 8 West street,
Lawrence.

When the World War came, in 1917, it seriously
affected Edward A. O'Mahoney, even though he was
above the age of the selective draft. He could not
resist the inclination to enlist, and eventually went to
France, with the Twenty-eighth Engineers. He saw a
good deal of hard work there, under exciting condi-
tions, and during the battle of the Argonne was
severely wounded in the legs. He was sent to Base
Hospital No. 3. and there stayed for fourteen weeks.
After returning to this country he was at Camp Upton
for a little while, and was finally honorably discharged,
in 1919, having reached the grade of master engineer, the
highest paid non-commissioned rank in the United
States army. After discharge, he returned to his
native place and to civil occupations. He is a member
of the American Legion; the local body of the Benevo-
lent and Protective Order of Elks, and also of the
associated Catholic societies. He is a member of the
Catholic church, and is unmarried.



THOMAS P. FLYNN was born in Danvers, Massa-
chusetts, in 1872, and is a son of John and Mary A.
(Lynn) Flynn, both natives of Ireland.

Mr. Flynn received his early education in the public
schools of Danvers. He began his business career at an
early age by working in a shoe factory. After a year
of practical experience in this position, he worked in a
leather factory for six months. Mr. Flynn then decided
that an open air occupation would suit him better than
indoor employment and he became a market driver.
He made regular trips between Danvers and Boston for
two years, at the end of which time he worked for
three years for the Naumkeag Street Railway Company.
After three years of street railroad work, Mr. Flynn
embarked upon various enterprises. In 1903 he installed
the sewerage system of the Danvers State Hospital.
He later accepted a position with the Boston & Maine
railroad, and in 1913 became connected with the lighting
department of the city of Danvers, with which he was
identified in 1919. In July, 1920, he received a contract
to carry the United States mail. In addition to his
numerous other activities, he has for the past nine
years sold fire insurance.

Mr. Flynn is a Catholic, and a member of the Knights
of Columbus. He has belonged to the Catholic Tem-
perance Association since 1887, and for twenty years
was the treasurer of the Catholic Temperance Associa-



THE NEW YORK *'
PUBLIC LIBRARY



AS-IOK, LENOX
TILDEM FOUNDATIONS



BIOGRAPHICAL



435



tion Union, of which he is also president at the present
time. He is a member of the Board of Registrars of the
city of Danvers, and has been a member of the Danvers
Police Department since 1900.

Mr. Flynn married, in 1902, Bridget M. Allen, of
Salem. They have two children : Catherine A., who was
born in 1903; and William J., who was born in 1908.
Mr. Flynn, with his family, resides at No. 26 Purchase
street, Danvers, Massachusetts.



RAPHAEL A. A. COMPARONE— Among the
younger professional men of Lawrence, Massachusetts,
Raphael A. A. Comparone is taking a leading position.
Mr. Comparone was born in Marzano Appio, Italy, June
12, 1890. and is a son of Francesco and Mary Compar-
one. This was one of the first families to come from
Italy to Lawrence, and they located here in 1893. Fran-
cesco Comparone has since been an operative in the
woolen mills. His wife died December 5, 1920.

Receiving his early education at St. Mary's Parochial
School, Raphael A. A. Comparone entered the Lawrence
High School, and had the distinction of being the first
Italian student to be graduated from that institution ;
this was in 1909. Thereafter he entered the Boston
University Law School, from which he was graduated
in 1912. with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, and was
admitted to the bar at Boston, Massachusetts, in the
same year. Shortly afterward he opened an office in
Lawrence, and began the general practice of law, thus
winning the further distinction of being the first Law-
rence resident of Italian birth to become a professional
man. His success has been definite thus far, and is
assured for the future. He is a thember of the Law-
rence Bar .\ssociation. With his wife he is a member
of the Home Club.

In connection with his legal business, Mr. Comparone
is also interested in a thriving local industry, being
president of the Magnano Corporation. This company
manufactures a variety of textile machinery, and also a
warp wire-dropping machine, for which they hold a
patent.

During his course at Boston University Mr. Compar-
one won three scholarships. He served in the first year
as assistant postmaster of the Law School, the second
year as postmaster, and the third year as clerk of the
school legislature. In public events of every nature Mr.
Comparone is broadly interested, and served in an ad-
visory capacity on the Draft Board during the World
War.

Mr. Comparone married Teresa Bacigalupo, daughter
of Joseph Bacigalupo, of Lawrence ; he was born in
Boston. Mr. and Mrs. Comparone have two children:
Joseph R., and Camille T. The family are members of
the Church of the Holy Rosary, and reside at No. 34
Coolidge street.



ARTHUR IGINIO TEUTONICO, D. M. D.—

Among the younger generation of practicing dentists in
Lawrence, Massachusetts, where he has been active
since 1909, is Dr. Teutonico, who is a native of Treant,
Italy, his birth having occurred March 10, 1891. He is
a son of John and Mary (Damarco) Teutonico, like
himself natives of Italy. John Teutonico was an agent
for the North American Civic League at Lawrence,



where he had resided since coming to this country in
KXX); he died F'ebruary 18, 1922. To Mr. and Mrs.
Teutonico were born three children : Emil L. ; Anthony,
who served during the World War in the Quarter-
master's Department, and was overseas for twenty-
seven months ; and Arthur I., of further mention.

The childhood of Dr. Teutonico was passed in his
native place until he was nine years of age, when he
was brought by his parents to this country. Upon land-
ing in New York City they came immediately to Law-
rence, which has been their home ever since, and here
the boy, Arthur I., attended the public schools, subse-
quently working as a clerk in a clothing store for five
years and then entered Phillips .\ndover Academy,
where he prepared for college. After graduating he
entered the dental department of Tufts College, having
decided to make that profession his career. He took
the usual dental course and was graduated with the
class of 1918, taking the degree of Doctor of Dental
Medicine. On December 4, 191 7, Dr. Teutonico enlisted
as a private in the medical corps of the LTnited States
army and was ordered to Fort Warren, Boston, after
which he was sent to Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, where
he devoted most of his time to dental surgery, and was
promoted to a corporal and later to a sergeant. He
received his honorable discharge, December 16, 1918,
and received the commission of first lieutenant in Janu-
ary, 1919, after which he opened his office at No. 77
Essex street, since which time he has made his head-
quarters at this place and has developed a high class
practice. He is a member of the dental staff of the
Boston dispensary, and devotes one day each week to
the practice of dental surgery in this institution. He is
a member of the various professional organizations, in-
cluding the National Dental Association, the Massachu-
setts Dental Association, and the Northeastern Dental
Society. He has been instructor of Clinical Dentistry
(Boston Dispensary) Tufts College. He affiliates with
the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the
Knights of Columbus, the Sons of Italy, and with the
Psi Omega fraternity. In religion he is a Roman Cath-
olic and attends Holy Rosary Church of that denomi-
nation.

Dr. Teutonico married. August 3, 1921, Ellen Lor-
aine Gavin, and they reside at No. 38 Newton street,
Lawrence.



JOHN F. HOWARD was born at Stowe, Maine,
on January 8, 1855, and is a son of Smith and Hannah
Elizabeth (Mores) Howard, of New Hampshire. Mr.
Howard's father, who was a farmer and dealer in
horses, died in 1863. As the name Howard implies,
Mr. Howard is a descendant of the ancient and noble
house of Howard, which has always been considered
one of the first families of England.

Mr. Howard received his early education in the pub-
lic schools of Rochester, New Hampshire, and after
leaving school became connected with a racing stable
as track boy. His great skill and ability in the man-
agement of horses won quick recognition among owners
and he was presently employed as a driver of the finest
racers. Before he was twenty-one years old he had
crossed the Continent three times and had establisRed
a splendid reputation as a horseman. He gave up rac-



436



ESSEX COUNTY



ing after having spent ten years on the Grand Circuit,
and decided to embark on a business career. He settled
at Haverhill in 1880, and became a contractor in the
shoe manufacturing industry. He was the first manu-
facturer who ever made use of modern machinery in
the production of "turns" at Haverhill. After a time
his energetic disposition led him into the hotel busi-
ness, and while he was engaged therein, he originated
the prepared Welsh Rarebit for table service and began
to experiment witli prepared salad dressings. He was
so successful in these efforts that he decided to devote
all his time to the manufacture of salad dressing. Be-
ginning in a small way in 1895, he has developed his
business until he now has the largest establishment of



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 38 of 56)