Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 39 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 39 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


its kind in the world, employing a number of people,
and occupying three floors at No. 21 Kingsbury avenue,
Bradford.

Mr. Howard is a Mason, and belongs to the various
Masonic bodies, including the Knights Templar, York
Rite, and the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite. He is
also a member of the Royal Order of Scotland, and the
Knights of Pythias. He belongs to the Ancient and Hon-
orable Order of Artillery of Boston, Massachusetts, and
he is a member of the Island Golf Club.

Mr. Howard married Margaret Cochran, of Liverpool,
England, in 1893, and has two children : John C, and
Albert F. Mrs. Howard is a daughter of Smith and
Mary (Taylor) Cochran, who were both English by
birth. Her father was a coach painter by trade.



dren : Thomas and Theresa. The family home is at No.
58 Camden street, Methuen, Massachusetts.



THOMAS J. HANLEY, when but a lad of thirteen
years, began his career as an electrician, and through the
years that have intervened he has overcome many
obstacles, achieving his present success by an abiding
confidence in his own ability to overcome whatever
might befall. That this confidence was not misplaced
is shown by the records of things accomplished.

Thomas J. Hanley was born at Providence, Rhode
Island, March 24, 1888, the son of James and Bridget
(McCauley) Hanley. At the age of five he was
brought by his parents to Lawrence, where he attended
the parochial schools and the local high school until he
was thirteen years of age, when the business of life
commenced for the boy. His first employment was with
the Lawrence Electric Supply and Construction Com-
pany, after which he took an extensive course at the
State University. In 1919, thoroughly equipped with
both theoretical and practical knowledge of the busi-
ness, he founded the Hanley Electrical Company, which
was located at No. 46 Lawrence street. The venture
proved successful, for his enterprise rapidly and con-
sistently developed. In 1921 he moved to his present
location, at No. 84 Esse.x street, where he has a modern
showroom and shop, dealing in electrical fixtures of all
kinds.

Mr. Hanley is a member of the Electrical Contrac-
tor's Association and the Master Builders' .Association.
He affiliates with the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks, and the Knights of Columbus, and attends St.
Monica's Roman Catholic Church at Methuen, Massa-
chusetts.

At Salmon Falls. New Hampshire, in 1915, Thomas
J. Hanley was united in marriage with Alvina Nolette,
who died July 17, 1919, after having borne him two chil-



BENJAMIN B. HALL, of Lawrence, Massachu-
setts, is a native of New Hampshire, born in Hudson,
January 28, 1877, son of Isaac W. Hall, who was born
in Methuen, Massachusetts, and died in igoj. By occu-
pation he was a carpenter, and was a veteran of the
Civil War. He married Jennie M. Call, of Lawrence,
and her death occurred in 1914.

Benjamin B. Hall was educated in the public schools
and subsequently was employed by R. J. O'Connell, a
teaming contractor, remaining with him for five years.
For the following four years Mr. Hall worked at a
similar occupation for John Chase, of Nassau, New
Hampshire, and then for two years was with the Haver-
hill Ice Company. The greater part of the next decade
was spent in textile lines, and in 1915 Mr. Hall was in
a position to carry out a long cherished plan to engage
in the contract trucking business on his own account.
He has met with well deserved success, and is prom-
inent among those engaged in his line of work in Law-
rence. In politics Mr. Hall is a Republican.

Mr. Hall married, in 1901, Helen Schurbert, born
January 15, 1876, in Germany, and they are the parents
of two sons : Fred W., and Harry B. Hall. With his
wife and children Mr. Hall is a member of the Second
Baptist Church of Lawrence.



CONSTANT CALITRI, M. D.— A resident of
Lawrence, Massachusetts, since 1907, and an honored
member of the medical profession. Dr. Calitri has proved
by his work the valued service which has been rendered
this country by her foreign-born sons.

Constant Calitri was born in Panni, the Province of
Fogga, Italy, March 26, 1887, the son of Joseph and
Caroline (Del Vicario) Calitri. Joseph Calitri was for
many years a wine and lumber merchant in his native
country, but since coming to this country has retired
from active business life. To Mr. and Mrs. Calitri
have been born four children : Antonio, a school teacher
in New York City and editor of two Italian newspapers;
Favilla ; La Difesa; and Constant, of further mention.

The elementary education of Dr. Calitri was obtained
in the schools of his native place, and after exhausting
their advantages he set sail for the United States, arriv-
ing here in 1901. Upon landing in New York City he
entered a night school for the purpose of gaining a
knowledge of the English language, after which he
devoted one year to the making of artificial flowers.
He had in the meantime decided to pursue the study of
medicine, so, accordingly, with this end in view, he
matriculated at Baltimore Medical College, from which
he was graduated in 1907, with the degree of Doctor of
Medicine. Immediately after graduating, he went to
Boston, Massachusetts, passed the Massachusetts State
Board examinations, and opened an office, where he
established himself in the practice of his profession,
remaining there until August, 1908, when he came to
Lawrence and located at No. 100 Jackson street, and
this has since been his headquarters. He is well estab-
lished in general practice, and is one of the well known,
highly regarded physicians of the city.

Dr. Calitri is a member of the American Medical



THE ?<i-w YORK^
PUP.iJr LIBRARY \

i

ASTOR, LBNOX I

TILDEN FOUNDATIONS |



v^ov*-



-.^^^^\






.0*-!:



BIOGRAPHICAL



437



Association, the Massachusetts Medical Association, and
the Phi Delta Epsilon fraternity. He is also a member
of the Sons of Italy, Christopher Columbus Society,
Victor Emanuel Society, and the Holy Rosary Society.
His religion is that of a Roman Catholic, and he attends
the Holy Rosary Church of that denomination. Al-
though Dr. Calitri maintains a deep interest in public
issues, he keeps strictly aloof from political circles, and
is independent of party restriction in casting his vote.

On No\-ember 19, 1917, Dr. Calitri was united in
marriage with Angelina McDonnough, of Lawrence,
Massachusetts. Mr. and Mrs. Calitri are the parents of
two children: Joseph, born in Lawrence; and Angeline,
also born there. Mrs. Calitri died February 16, 1921.



ALBERT SICARD, one of tlie younger business
men of Bradford, Massachusetts, who have attamed
success, was born September 5, 1886, in the Province of
Quebec, Canada, son of Louis and Celina Sicard. His
father was a native of Canada, and his mother of
Nashua, New Hampshire. The parochial schools of
his native home afforded him his early education, and
afterwards young Sicard learned the machinist's trade
under his father, following this occupation for eight
years.

In 1907 he came to Haverhill, Massachusetts, and
entered the employ of the Hamel Shoe Company,
remaining for four years, and for seven years was with
another shoe manufacturer. Mr. Sicard had long been
making a study of machinery for use in making wood
heels for shoes, and he established the Ideal Machine
Company on Washington street, Bradford, for the mak-
ing of the machinery along the lines of his ideas. In
this venture he has been very successful, and is also
part owner of the Haverhill Gear Works. Mr. Sicard
is a member of the Franco-.^merican Order of Forest-
ers, and of several other fraternal orders.

Mr. Sicard married, in 1907, at Haverhill, Lea Pay-
ette, daughter of Joseph and Rosanna Payette, of
Holyoke. Their children are: Leo G., Cecille A. and
Paul C. Mr. Sicard and his family attend St. Joseph's
Church.



HENRY ACHIANCE DINSMORE, who for many
years has owned a good mercantile business in Haver-
hill, Massachusetts, and also recently became part owner
of the Haverhill Ignition Company, was born in Haver-
hill, January 26, 1885, son of Adrian S. and Mary L.
(Barrett) Dinsmore, both of Haverhill. His father,
who died in 1920, was for the greater part of his life
engaged in the wholesale and retail liquor business in
Haverhill, and was widely known.

Henry A. Dinsmore received the whole of his school-
ing in Haverhill, attending the public grammar and
high schools, and afterwards taking the course at the
Haverhill Business College. After graduating from the
last named he entered the employ of the Langley Burr
Company, of Boston, wholesale dry goods merchants.
In their employ he remained for two years, leaving
them to work for the Teft, Wellor Company, of New
York. Two years later he returned to Haverhill, and
became manager of the Haverhill Motor Mart. That
was his connection and line of business for the next
seven years. At the end of that time, however, he went



into business for himself, in groceries and provisions,
and that has since been his main business. In April,
1921, however, he formed a partnership with Leslie L.
Whitcomb, and they established the Haverhill Ignition
Company, a description of which business will be found
elsewhere in this volume.

Mr. Dinsmore is progressing satisfactorily in busi-
ness, and has many friends in Haverhill. He is a mem-
ber of the Haverhill Chamber of Commerce, and fra-
ternally belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks, a member of the local lodge. He is a Con-
gregationalist, and attends the Haverhill church.

Mr. Dinsmore married, in 1906, Pauline Hennessey,
of Haverhill, and they have one child, a daughter, Mary
Elizabeth.



JOSEPH F. TOBIN— .\mong the prominent citi-
zens of Lawrence, Massachusetts, whose activities have
placed them among the leading men of their city, Joseph
F. Tobin is deserving of mention. Mr. Tobin was born
at Lowell, Massachusetts, December 3, 1S72, son of John
Tobin. The latter was a native of County Cork, Ire-
land, born March 10, 1853, and died January 26, 1917.
He came to the United States at the age of three months,
and lived in Lowell, removing later to Tewksbury,
Massachusetts. In i860 he came to Lawrence, and for
a time attended school there. At an early age he went
to work in the Pacific Mills, and later was employed in
a hat factory at Ballardville. In 1865 Mr. Tobin
returned again to Lawrence, and worked among the
farmers in the vicinity; in the summer time he was
occupied with these tasks and took advantage of the
opportunity to attend school in the winter season. After
four years he went to work in a grocery store as a
clerk, and then entered the Everett Mills in the city of
Lawrence.

In 1871 Mr. Tobin apprenticed himself to learn the
trade of plasterer with Rufus Page, and completed his
t -aining with D. M. Prescott, of Lowell. For several
years Mr. Tobin followed this occupation as a jour-
I7eyman, and in 1876 engaged in business on his own
a ccount in Lawrence, dealing in paints, oils, wall-paper
and similar products.

The increase in his business was a very satisfactory
one, and in a short time it was necessary to remove to
larger quarters. Mr. Tobin became the largest con-
tractor in his line in Lawrence and employed on an
average between twenty and thirty men.

In politics, Mr. Tobin was a Democrat, and he served
a term as alderman. He was a member of Lawrence
Lodge, No. 65, Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks; Fraternal Order of Eagles, Aerie No. 216. of
which he was for many years treasurer ; member of the
Knights of Columbus ; and the Lawrence Board of
Trade. Mr. Tobin was a regular attendant of St.
Mary's Church of Lawrence, and was a member of the
Holy Name Society of this church.

John Tobin married, in August, 1871, Ann Maria
Bush, born November 29, 1850, daughter of Francis
Joseph and Ellen (McCarthy) Bush; she died January
5, 1910. Francis J. Bush, her father, was a native of
Baltimore, Maryland, and died in 1873; in his early life
he removed to Salem, and followed the sea. During the



438



ESSEX COUNTY



Civil War, he was a gunner in the fleet of Admiral
Farragut.

Joseph F. Tobin attended the public schools o{ Law-
rence and for a time worked with his father. He was
appointed to the police force of Lawrence, September
14, 1903, by Mayor Grant, and on grounds of economy
was dismissed the following year. On April 31, 1906,
he was appointed to the regular force, and was promoted
to sergeant January i, 1911. On April i, 1914, he was
appointed inspector by Commissioner James W. Cado-
gan, and served four years, at the end of which time
he was granted a leave of absence. At the termination
of this leave, Mr. Tobin resigned from the service, as
the business established by his father to which he had
succeeded demanded his entire attention.

Mr. Tobin is a member of the Lawrence Chamber of
Commerce; the Merrimack Valley Association of
Painters and Decorators, of which he is a past presi-
dent; member of the State Association of Master
House Painters and Decorators ; and member of the
Lawrence Master Builders' Association. His fraternal
affiliations are: Member of the Lawrence Police Relief
Association ; past president of the Fraternal Order of
Eagles, Aerie No. 216; fourth degree member of the
Knights of Columbus, Lawrence Council, No. 67 ; first
vice-president of St. Mary's Catholic Association; mem-
ber of St. Mary's Holy Name Society; member of Law-
rence Lodge, No. 65, Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks.

Mr. Tobin married Ellen T. Maguire, daughter of
Patrick and Elizabeth (Coyne) Maguire, both born in
Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. Tobin are the parents of a
daughter, Marion, born September 19, 1900, now asso-
ciated with her father in business; and a son, Walter
John, a sketch of whom follows.



WALTER JOHN TOBIN, manager of the John
Tobin Company, of Lawrence, Massachusetts, was born
July 4, 1897, in that city, son of Joseph F. Tobin. an
extended account of whose career appears in preceding
sketch. The son was educated in the public and high
schools, and his first experience in business was in the
automobile line, as an employee of the Back Bay Garage
Company, remaining there for a year.

The business of which he is now manager was estab-
lished by his grandfather, John Tobin, who was a mate-
rial factor in the early success of this firm. After the
death of the latter the responsibility was assumed by
the son, Joseph F. Tobin, and the grandson, Walter J.
Tobin, was made manager in 1920, continuing to hold
this position to the present time.

Among the younger business men of Lawrence he is
held in high esteem, and is prominent in the civic and
business activities there.

Mr. Tobin married (first), in 1918, Josephine Mc-
Grath, of Lawrence, and they were the parents of a
daughter, Marie. Mrs. Tobin died in 1919, and he
married (second) Mary Keefe, of Lawrence, daughter
of William Keefe, for many years engaged in the
plumbing business.

Mr. Tobin is a member of the Democratic party and
takes a very active interest in its work. He also is a
member of the Chamber of Commerce of Lawrence.



OBED H. SMITH— Long a resident of Marblehead,
and for the past fifteen years prominent as a builder,
Obed H, Smith bears the part of the progressive citizen
in the business and social life of the town.

Mr. Smith was born in Shelbourne, Nova Scotia,
November 3, 1873, a son of David G. and Amelia M.
(McKay) Smith. David G. Smith was a native of
Nova Scotia, and was engaged in the contracting busi-
ness there. The mother was also born in Nova Scotia,
and died there February 22, lOio.

Obed H. Smith attended the schools of his native
town, and upon his removal to Marblehead, completed
his education in the schools there, then entered the
world of industry and engaged in the building business.
He filled the position of foreman in this connection for
a period of seven years. In igo6 Mr. Smith started in
business for himself, as a builder, and has since con-
tinued in this line of work. Prosperous from the
beginning, Mr. Smith has developed a large interest and
carries on the business under the name of Obed H.
Smith. Mr. Smith is interested in all progress, but has
little time for outside interests. He is a member of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and his religious
convictions place his membership with the Baptist church.

In 1896 Mr. Smith married (first) Susie C. Pryor,
of Marblehead, Massachusetts. They were the parents
of one son, Raymond H., born August 21, 1898; he was
a member of the Naval Reserves of Marblehead, during
the World War, and served from 1918 to 1919. He is
now associated with his father in business. Susie C.
(Pryor) Smith died August 11, 1915. Mr. Smith mar-
ried (second), December 27, 1916, Mabel K. Chisholm,
of Medford, Massachusetts, and they have one daugh-
ter, Betty W., born November 23, 1918.



LOUIS C. LAWTON, civil engineer, graduate of
Vale University, class of 1893, and since 1912 city engi-
neer of Haverhill, was born in Hartland, Connecticut,
April 23, 1868, the son of Giles N. and Sarah (Hay-
den) Lawton. On both sides he is descended from old
Connecticut families, his father, who died in 1871, having
been a Connecticut farmer, and the maternal line, the
Haydens, being of Winsor, that State.

Louis C. Lawton in boyhood attended Connecticut
public schools, and eventually passed from Phillips
Exeter Academy into Yale University, from which he
was graduated in 1893. His first work after leaving col-
lege was for the city of Middletown, Connecticut, but
in 1894 he was in the employ of the United States Gov-
ernment, in topographical survey work. Then followed
a period with the Berlin Iron Bridge Company, and
another brief period in the employ of French & Bryant,
of Boston, but in 1896 he joined the constructional engi-
neering staff of the Boston & Maine Railroad Company.
He was engineer for that railroad company for sixteen
years, until 1912, when he was appointed city engineer
of Haverhill. While in railroad work, Mr. Lawton had
entire charge of construction work, and under his direc-
tion the grade crossings of Lynn, Ipswich, Everett,
Rowley and Somerville were constructed. He has
proved himself to be a capable engineer, and a consci-
entious public servant. He is a member of the Haver-
hill Rotary Club, and the American Association of Engi-




y^^:z^^e^T' ^y^!'~^-^^^ ^a^^j-^f^t^



BIOGRAPHICAL



439



neers. Religiously, he is a Congregationalist, member of
the Haverhill church of that denomination.

Mr. Lawton married, in 1896, Hattie E. Breckinridge,
daughter of Warren and Jane (Brigham) Breckin-
ridge, both of Connecticut, the Breckinridges of Mid-
dletown, and the Brigham family of New Britain. They
have two children: Harold H., born i8gS, a student in
the Army Training Corps, and was at Plattsburg dur-
ing the World War; Ralph B., born in 1900.

GEORGE D. CURRIER, who has spent the greater
part of his life in the Haverhill-Bradford district, and
now is the head of the firm of George D. Currier &
Company, tanners, sheep skins, and shoe trimmings, was
born in Newburyport, Massachusetts, December 23,
1879, the son of George W. and Louisa M. (Johnson)
Currier. His father, who died in 1910, was a native of
Amesbury, Massachusetts, and a carriage maker by
trade; his mother was of a Newburyport family.

George D. Currier attended the public schools in his
boyhood, and afterwards took the course in the Haver-
hill Business College, after graduating from which he
began his business career in the shoe shop of T. S.
Ruddock & Son, on Granite street. Three years later he
entered the employ of Thayer, McGuire & Fields, which
firm he served for seven years. Then followed a period
of service to D. C. Peabody, but in 1912 Mr. Currier
decided to open a business for himself. He traded as
George D. Currier & Company, tanners, his specialties
being sheep skins and shoe trimmings. The plant is
now located on Railroad avenue, Bradford ; it is a busi-
ness of satisfactory dimensions.

Mr. Currier is well known in Haverhill ; he is a
Mason, up to and including the Scottish Rite degree,
and socially is a member of the Agawam Club. By
religious faith he is a Congregationalist, and he holds
membership in the local church of that sect

Mr. Currier married, in 1905, Lillian Ross, daughter
of George J. and Olive M. (Stanley) Ross, of West
Newburyport, Massachusetts, the former a police officer
of that place.



HENRY LA ROSA— An instance of the rapidity
with which the better type of immigrants succeed after
they reach America is seen in the advancement that has
come to Henry La Rosa, of Lawrence. He is only
thirty years old, but he owns and successfully operates
two good stores in Lawrence, Massachusetts, handling
automobile tires, accessories, and supplies.

Henry La Rosa was born in Italy on Christmas Day
of 1891, and is the fourth-born of live children. His
father, Biaggio La Rosa, conducted a grocery store for
thirty years in Italy; he died in 1918. When old enough,
Henry La Rosa began to study in the public schools of
his native land. He was sixteen years old when he
came to this country in 1907, and his first work in
America was obtained in the Wood Mills in Lawrence.
There he worked for five years, then for another year
was employed in the Washington Mills. For five years
after that he was with the Tire and Rubber Company, at
Andover, Massachusetts. There he learned the auto-
mobile supply business, and after five years of service
in Andover, he returned to Lawrence, with enough



money to open in business for himself. This he did, his
first store being at No. 52 Essex street, where he traded
under the name of the Quality Tire and Accessory
Shop. Later he removed to larger quarters on Jackson
street, where he still is. He also operates another store
under the same name, and from a humble beginning it
has developed into quite a good well paying business.
This he has done by the assimilation of good American
characteristics, and he has undoubtedly conducted his
business in an alert, enterprising and efficient manner.

Mr. La Rosa is a member of the Sons of Italy, and of
the Holy Rosary Church of Lawrence.

Henry La Rosa married, in 1912, Marie Misenti, who
was of Italian birth. They have one child, a daughter,
Eleanor, who was born in 1920.



WILLIAM L. JENNINGS, partner with Edward
Mitchell in the Household Furniture Company of Ha-
verhill, Massachusetts, was born on the rock of Gibraltar,
the British fortress in Spain, at the entrance to the
Mediterranean Sea. His parents were William Thomp-
son and Ida Clarence (Basden) Jennings. The former
was born in England, and was a soldier in the garrison
of Gibraltar at the time of the birth of William L., June
8, 1880, and later ser\ed in the Egyptian War. He was
wounded in the unsuccessful attempt by General Wolse-
ley to relieve General Gordon, besieged in Khartoum.
He was taken to Watalie Hospital, but eventually inval-
ided. The family then went to live in Bermuda, where
Mrs. Jennings was born. On that island their son, Wil-
liam L. Jennings, spent the greater part of his boy-
hood. After leaving school he worked for two years
at the Hamilton Hotel, Bermuda, but while the United
States was at war with Spain he resolved to come to this
country. He enlisted in the United States army in 1898,
his father having died in that year, which perhaps
explains why he did not return to Bermuda at the end
of his military service. When discharged from the
army, he took up his abode in Dover, New Hampshire,
where for nine years he worked for Mooney & Ewer,
after which period he removed to Haverhill. In 1915
he became connected with the Atherton Furniture Com-
pany, but three years later went into independent busi-
ness, in partnership with Edward Mitchell. They estab-
lished the Household Furniture Company, and since
1918 have experienced a promising growth of their
enterprise. Their store is situated at No. 50 Emerson
street, Haverhill, and covers all domestic lines of
furniture.

Mr. Jennings' army service began on June 6, 1898,
when he enlisted for active service in the occupation
of Porto Rico. At the end of the war emergency, he
reenlisted, and his final discharge came in December,
1903.

Mr. Jennings has entered actively into community life
in Haverhill ; he is a member of the Methodist church,
belongs to the Knights of Pjthias, the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, and the Fraternal Order of
Eagles, organizations in Haverhill.

After he came out of the army, in December, 1903,



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 39 of 56)