Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 4 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 4 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


eral other business firms, being a partner of the
Amesbury Brass & Foundry Company; treasurer
of the Colchester Mill Company; trustee of the
Provident Institute of Savings; and director of the
Powow River National Bank. Mr. Biddle is al-
ways to be found foremost in any movement that



tends towards the general welfare; he was a mem-
ber of the Liberty Loan Committee during tha
World War, and chairman of Amesbury Branch
of the Red Cross. Mr. Biddle is a member of
the Amesbury Club; the Ould Newbui-y Golf Club;
the Oldtown Country Club, the Harvard clubs of
Boston and New York, the Menimack Valley
Country Club, the Powder House Hill Country
Club, and the Detroit Athletic Club.

He married, April 25, 1906, Grace Webster
Goodwin, daughter of George and Frances (Web-
ster) Goodwin, and their children are: William
E. Jr., bom March 1, 1907, and Frances, born
June 6, 1909. The family attend St. James Epis-
copal Church.



FRANK M. ALLEY— For thirty-five years a
leading undertaker in Lynn, Massachusetts, Frank
M. Alley perfoi-med well and faithfully a duty
of especial significance to the community, and in
his passing, the work which had so long been en-
trusted to him was lain down for other hands to
take up.

Mr. Alley was bom in Lynn, January 10, 1837,
in a house which then stood at the point where
Mount Pleasant street intersects with Essex street
today. He was a son of John (4) Alley, who
was a native of Haverhill, and Susan D., his wife,
who was born in Marblehead.

Receiving his education in liis native city, Mr.
Alley was scarcely well launched upon his career
before the breaking out of the Civil War called
the young men of the day to the colors. He en-
listed eagerly at the first call, and was a member
of the Twenty-third Regiment, Massachusetts Vol-
unteer Infantry, serving throughout the period of
the war, and even beyond, not being mustered out
until July, 1865. Almost immediately after his en-
listment, he was assigned to the Hospital Corps,
and his usefulness there was so marked that he
was retained in that branch of the service as
assistant to the surgeons.

Upon his return to Lynn after the war, Mr.
Alley entered the shoe industry, but continued in
this line of effort only until he had completed the
necessary technical studies to qualify for the pro-
fession of undertaking. He soon received his cei-
tificate, and for thirty-five years was engaged
actively in tliis work, commanding a very large
patronage.

Nineteen years before his death, Mr. Alley re-
tired from active business, but continued in-
terested in fraternal and benevolent activities. He
was a member of General Lander Post, Grand
Army of the Republic, and of Mount Carmel
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, holding the
thirty-second degree in that order. He was a
member of the Masonic order for more than
fifty years, and had been the recipient of the
Henry Price Medal a short time before his death,
in honor of his half century of membership, be-
ing one of the few m.en in this city to possess
that distinction. He was a member of Bay State
Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and



254



ESSEX COUNTY



Mystic Lodge, Ancient Order of United Workmen.
He joined the Odd Fellows in 1868.

Mr. Alley died at about six o'clock on the
morning of December 28, 1920, at his residence
at No. 10 Lincoln street, where he had lived for
about thirty-eight years. The immediate cause of
his death was heart trouble, but his age being
nearly eighty-four years, lus sti-ength had been
gradually failing for some time.

Mr. Alley was sui-vived by his wife, Mary A.
Alley, and a sister, Mrs. Louis Granger, of Lynn.



THOMAS HENRY O'SHEA, who stood high in
the banking world of Salem, Massachusetts, broad-
ly interested in every branch of public endeavor
and philanthropy, was a representative of a large
group of citizens of Essex county, Massachusetts.
Mr. O'Shea was born in North Salem, April 8,
1867, a son of Martin and Catherine (Bums)
O'Shea. Martin O'Shea was one of the solid cit-
izens of Essex county, Massachusetts, of Irish
extraction, and by occupation an engineer.

Receiving a practical education in the public
schools of Peabody, Thomas Heni-y O'Shea through
all his career looked toward the future of the city
of Salem, in whose institutions he took the deep-
est interest. He was a director of the Nauinkeag
Trust Company, and was vice-president and direc-
tor of the Wanen National Bank. The former in-
stitution, one of the leading financial organizations
of Salem, benefitted by the sound judgment and
progressive mind of Mr. O'Shea, and in the latter
institution, in Peabody, he was one of the mov-
ing spirits. He was a trustee of the J. B. Thomas
Hospital and a liberal contributor to its support.

During the World War, Mr. O'Shea gave very
generously to all drives and all movements in sup-
port of the American Expeditionary Forces. He
also gave the Red Cross an office in one of the
O'Shea buildings, rent free, during the period of
the war and for nearly a year thereafter. Fra-
ternally and in a social way, Mr. O'Shea was
widely known. He was a member of the Knights
of Columbus, and of the Benevolent and Protec-
tive Order of Elks. He was also a member of
the Salem Club, and of the Charitable Irish Society
of Boston.

On November 28, 1894, Mr. O'Shea married, at
Peabody, Catherine Teresa Hayes, daughter of
John J. and Mary (Mahoney) Hayes. Mr. and
Mrs. O'Shea were the parents of two children:
Thomas Joseph, born August .5, 1897; Catherine
Mane, bom June 15, 1902. The family are mem-
bers of St. John's Catholic Church.



WILLIAM E. ARNOLD, partner in the Haver-
hill firm of Arnold & Burke, garage owners, was
bom in Nova Scotia, Canada, January 11, 1900,
son of John E. and Bessie (Lane) Amold, who
were both of that province of the Dominion of
Canada.

The Arnold family moved into the United States
not long after the birth of William E., and for



many years have lived in Haverhill, Massachusetts,
where the father, John E. Arnold, is connected
with the shoe manufacturing industry. It was in
Haverhill that William E. Amold was educated,
and in the vicinity he has worked since leaving
school. For four years after leaving school he
was in the employ of J. Ellison, and then went
into business for himself, trading under his own
name at No. 52 Main street, Bradford, Massachu-
setts, and developing a satisfactory trucking busi-
ness. Later, however, he entered into business
partnership with Mr. Bui-ke, and the two now
have a promising garage and automobile repair
business in Haverhill, their gai-age and repaii*
shop being situated at No. 225 River street.
Mr. Arnold is showing definite enterprise and alert
activity.



RALPH M. DAWLEY— Undoubtedly traveling
broadens the mind. So much is evident in the
case of Ralph M. Dawley, of Newbui-yport, Massa-
chusetts. He is a man with a broad observing
mind, and a keen intellect, notwithstanding that
his academic education apparently ended when he
was only nine years old. His world-wide travel
began then, and has been continued intermittently
until quite recently. He has landed in vei-y many
countines, as may be imagined when it is known
that he has traveled around the world three
times.

Ralph M. Dawley was born in Sand Lake, Mich-
igan, on July 20, 1879, son of John and Sarah
(Mosher) Dawley. His mother was of Sand Lake,
Michigan, and died in 1919, a year before the death
of his father, who was a cattle dealer, and origi-
nally of Oswego, New York. Ralph M. was one
of the six children, three sons and three daughters,
born to his parents. His early life was spent in
his native place in Michigan, but he was evi-
dently of adventurous spirit, for he was only nine
years old when he cast aside his school books and
ventured on the long, long trip across the Atlantic
Ocean to England, the voyage being all the more
venturesome by being made on a cattle boat.
When in England, his adventurous spirit drew him
into the ranks of the British anny, in which he
enlisted as a drummer boy, and served as such
for tliree years and two months. He then re-
turned to the United States, and later made one
trip to France, enlisting upon his return in the
Thirty-third Michigan Volunteer Regiment, raised
for war service against Spain. With that regi-
ment he went on active service to Cuba, and
after the pacification of that island and the return
of his regiment to the United States, he enlisted
in the Regular ai-my, being commissioned a sec-
ond lieutenant of infantry and ordered to do duty
with the Third United States Infantry. He was
honorably discharged in 1902, after the Philippine
and Porto Rican troubles were over. Soon after-
wards, he found civil employment in the Schenec-
tady plant of the General Electric Company.
Later, he was sent to Brazil by the General Elec-



BIOGRAPHICAL



255



trie Machine Company. He returned along the
Pacific Ocean, landing at San Francisco, California,
traveling overland to New York City. A man of
distinct versatility, and with an aptitude for me-
chanics, he spent the period, 1904-08, in the auto-
mobile trade, but in the latter year veered to aero-
planes. He became connected with the Curtiss
Aeroplane Company, and by that firm was sent to
Singapore, Malay Straits, and India, with the
hydroplane, the "Nancy Bess." In 1910 he re-
turned to the United States, and for the next two
years was with the Thomas Auto Company, as
tester. The next four or five years were passed
in the employ of various concerns, but soon after
the United States entered the World War, in
1917, Mr. Dawley again cast aside civil affairs
and enlisted for war service. He enlisted in the
United States navy, as aviation instructor, and was
assigned for duty at Squantum Field, later being
at Norfolk, Virginia. At the end of the war, Mr.
Dawley had the rating of chief petty officer.
After re-entering civil life, he came to Newbury-
port, and has since been the manager of the
garage owned by Hannah Gillis. His knowledge of
autos and his business ability are evident in the
development of that garage business since he has
been manager of it, it being today one of the
most complete and up-to-date in the city of New-
buryport. Mr. Dawley has also a garage business
of his own at Salisbury Beach, and expects to do
well there. He has rapidly made friends in New-
buryport and vicinity. Mr. Dawley is a member
of the Independent Order of Foresters, and the
Ancient Order of United Workmen.

Mr. Dawley was mamed, in 1904, to Edna
Convercise, daughter of Samuel and Sarah E
(Gardiner) Convercise, of Troy, New York Sam-
uel Convercise died in 1889.



Father De Bern is an honorary member of the
Knights of Columbus, being formerly chaplain of
the local organization, and is a member of many
organizations for the civic and social betterment
of the community. During the recent period of
war with Gennany, he was most active in the
support of the cause of the Allies, and intimately
connected with the different movements having for
their object the welfare of the men in the ser-
vice.

Life holds no more beautiful relationship than
that v/hich a Catholic priest bears to his people
and his people bear to him. He is one who never
falters, whose helping hand is never withdrawn,
whose patience is without end, and whose heart
is ever true. For through sunshine and rain,
through happiness and disaster, through peace
and war, through virtue and misery, come what
will within the range of human experience, in its
midst you will find the priest toiling not for him-
self, but for those he loves and for whom he
stands ready to die so they may have happiness
both here and hereafter. This is the type of
priest, this is the manner of friend, this is the
kind of pastor Father De Bern is to all with whom
he comes in contact; a noble man, full of courage,
zeal, and devotion, with deep and abiding re-
ligious faith.



REV F. FRANCIS V. De BEM-As pastor of
Our Lady of Good Voyage, one of the most promi-
nent Ivoman Catholic parishes in the city of Glou-
cester Massachusetts, Rev. F. Francis V. DeBem is
well known as a zealous, learned and eloouent
dmne, and a public-spirited citizen

F. Francis V. DeBem was bom in Boston,
Massachusetts, November 5, 1867. When he was
but one year old he was taken by his parents to
I'aya Island, the Azores, and there he obtained
tus elementary education, after which he entered
the seminary of the Island of Terceira, where he
took a lyceum scientific course and was ordained
pnest m September, 1890, at the seminary by the

fson r- '■''"''' ^'^''"^ S°"=^^- On December 1,
18J0, he came to Gloucester to the original parish
^th Archbishop Williams. Here he supervised
the budding of a wooden structure, which was

tS't'o' '"'r ': ''''■ ""''' Father'DeBem con
tinned to conduct services until February 20 1914
when the building was destroyed bj fire after
Which upon the same site, he supervised the build-
of th. l^T church and has continued as rector
of the pansh up to the present time.



JOSEPH EBEN BODWELL— There are names
which fittingly find a place in the permanent rec-
ords of any city, and in Lynn, Massachusetts, one
of these names is Joseph Eben Bodwell, whose
influence upon the real estate market of the pass-
ing generation was constructive to an unusual
degree.

Joseph E. Bodwell was born in Reading, Massa-
chusetts. His parents removing to Lynn when he
was a child of five years, it was here that the
boy received his education, which was limited to
the common school course at the Burkett School,
from which he was graduated. As a young man
the lure of the sea called him, and he sliipped on
the merchant marine, his initial trip being to India.
He followed the sea for eight or ten years, retir-
ing as first officer of the "Prince George," of the
Dominion Atlantic railroad. Returning thereafter
to Lynn, he entered the real estate field in this
city, and was active in tliis business until his
death, which occurred in March, 1917. He was
very successful, from his standpoint, as an in-
dividual operator, but will longest be remember-
ed for his participation in a movement wliich is
still fruitful of great good to the real estate busi-
ness in this vicinity, and through it to the pub-
lic in general. Mr. Bodwell early became affili-
ated with other real estate dealers in Lynn, form-
ing the Real Estate Exchange of Lynn, which still
exists, largely devoted to its original purposes in
the Lynn Exchange of the present day. This or-
ganization of progressive business men meets for
conference on general real estate topics and their
relation to the community-at-large.



256



ESSEX COUNTY



Mr. Bodwell was a member of the Improved
Order of Red Men, of the Woodmen of the World,
and of the Knights of Pythias. He never lost his
fondness for the sea, and held membership in the
Lynn Yacht Club until his death, taking the
keenest delight in an occasional sail. He attended
St. Paul's Episcopal Church of Lynn.

Mr. Bodwell married Fannie E. Smyth, and they
were the parents of one son, Frederick E., now a
prominent real estate man in this city.



FRED RUPERT CAMPBELL, an ente:-prising
manufacturer of Lynn, and prominent in fratei-nal
circles, is broadly active in the progress of the
city. He was born in Lynn, December 6, 1878, a
son of Edward Thomas and Augusta J. (Oakes)
Campbell, for many years residents of this city.
Gaining his education in the public schools of
the city, Mr. Campbell, in association with his
brother, Charles Edward Campbell, whose life is
reviewed elsewhere in this work, has reached a
prominent position among electrical manufacturers
in this part of the State. The business was for-
merly located on Central square, and for a time
embraced a retail store, dealing in electrical sup-
plies of every kind. Twice selling out, the second
time to the General Electric Company, the business
was removed to Stewart street, absorbing the busi-
ness of Charles E. Howard in 1915, and in 1916
the fine new building of the Campbell Electric
Company was erected and equipped for the special
line of work tumed out. This consists of X-ray
equipment, such as is used in hospitals and by
physicians, many varieties of electrical equipments,
transformers and automatic switching devices.
This business is one of the successful interests in
its field in this section. In addition to holding an
interest in this business, Mr. Campbell is treasurer
of the X-ray Foot-0-Scope Corporation, and active
in its management. He is also a director of the
State National Bank, of Lynn, and of the Lynn
Morris Plan Company, and is a member of the
Lynn Chamber of Commerce.

Fraternally Mr. Campbell is a member of the
Golden Fleece Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons;
of Sutton Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; of Olivet
Commandery, Knights Templar; and is also a
member of the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of
the Mystic Shrine. He is a member of Peter
Woodland Lodge, Knights of Pythias, and of Lynn
Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
He attends the Episcopal church.

On November 24, 1904, Mr. Campbell married
Amy E. Fletcher, daughter of Nathan B. and
Emily Clapp (Lewis) Fletcher. Mr. and Mrs.
Campbell have two daughters: Doris Evelyn, born
November 18, 190.5; and Ruth Fletcher, bom De-
cember 25, 1913.



electrical devices of especial significance to the
public.

Mr. Campbell was bom in Lynn, January 11,
1881, and is a son of Edward T. and Augusta J.
(Oakes) Campbell. After completing the course
of the public schools of his native city, Mr.
Campbell was employed in a shoe faatory for a
short time, then went to Boston and Medford,
doing experimental work on telephones. Follow-
ing this line of activity for about three years,
he then opened a small shop in Lynn, and did
electrical work on a very modest scale. By con-
stant effort he increased the business materially,
and in 1900 opened a larger shop at No. 54 Cen-
tral square, his plant first being in the basement,
then on the top floor of the building, eventually
expanding to fill the entire top floor. In 1906 Mr.
Campbell added to his interests by opening a
retail store, handling electrical supplies of all
kinds, and this continued until 1909, when he sold
out his entire business and made a fresh start,
this time locating in the Fabian building on Union
street. There he manufactured incandescent lamps
and x-ray tubes for about three years, when he
sold out to the General Electric Company. Re-
moving to Stewart street, he still continued in
the manufacturing branch of the business, and in
1915 purchased the business of Charles E. Howard,
one year later erecting the Campbell Electric
building, his present fine structure, equipping it in
the most modem and approved manner. Here
he specializes in the manufacture of x-ray equip-
ment for the use of hospitals and physicians,
electrical equipments, transformers, and automatic
switcliing devices. He is doing a constantly in-
creased business, and is one of the successful
men in this field in Essex county. His brother,
Fred R. Campbell, has long been associated with
him. (q.v.)

Mr. Campbell is a member of the Free and Ac-
cepted Masons and of the Benevolent and Pro-
tective Order of Elks. He is a member of the
Rotary Club, and attends the Episcopal Church
of the Incarnation. In 1909 Mr. Campbell mar-
ried Laura C. Chellis.



CHARLES EDWARD CAMPBELI^-Achieving
success entirely by his own efforts, Charles E.
Campbell, of Lynn, now conducts an impoi-tant
business in the manufacture of many different



HARRY D. BUTTERFIELD— Part-owner of
the Haverhill Service Station, Harry D. Butter-
field and his brother, Frank W., are developing
a good business in automobile service, supplies,
and vulcanizing in their native city, Haverhill,
Massachusetts.

Harry D. Butterfield was bom in Haverhill on
September 5, 1879, son of David L. and Abbie A.
(Wells) Butterfield, the former originally of West
Sumner, Maine, and the latter of Wells, same
State. David L. Butterfield was connected with
the shoe manufacturing industry. He died in 1912,
having lived the greater part of his business life
in Haverhill, in which city his son, Harry D.,
received the whole of his schooling, which con-
tinued until he was twenty years old. He passed
through the high school, graduating with the class




<^^^^^ifyL^^^ ^ . C-^^



^Z'-t-^f-x.




BIOGRAPHICAL



257



of 1899. Soon, thereafter, he found employment
with the Electric Railroad Company. For six short
periods he sei-ved that public service coi-pora-
tion, and then for shoi-t periods worked for vari-
ous local concerns connected \vith the automobile
industry. He became expert in auto repairing.
However, for three years, he worked in the shoe
factories of F. M. Hodgson and L. M. Dudley,
leaving the employ of the last-named in order
to join his brother, Frank W, in an independent
enterprise. They purchased the automobile busi-
ness of Baker & Wells, on Winter street, Haver-
hill, and at once foi-med the trading partnership
known as the Haverhill Sei-vice Station. They
also entered extensively into trading in tires and
automobile accessories, and soon had considerable
vulcanizing work at their plant. Altogether, they
have a satisfactory business, and are active and
enterpiising.

The brothers are well known among the younger
business men of Haverhill, Han-y D. being a mem-
ber of the Haveriiill Chamber of Commerce. He
does not belong to any of the fraternal orders,
but is interested in the affairs of his home
town. By religious belief he is a Universalist,
and attends the local church of that denomina-
tion.

Mr. Butteriield married, in 1904. Bertha L. Cur-
rier, of Haverhill, daughter of Castanas and Har-
riett (Pearson) Cuii-ier, the latter of a Haverhill
family. Castanas Currier was of Natick, Massa-
chusetts, a baker by trade, who died in 1911.
Mr. and Mrs. Buttei-field have four children:
Marion L., born in 1906; David C, bom in 1913:
Robert W., born in 1917; and Fred C, bom in
1920.



dren, Florence Benjamin Trotter, who is now the
wife of Lavsrence Perkins, and William W. Trot-
ter, who was named for his paternal grand-
father.



CHARLES W. TROTTER was bom at Augusta,
Maine, in April, 18.51, a son of WOliam and Mar-
garet (Webber) Trotter. His father was an iron
moulder. Mr. Trotter has two sisters, Caroline
E. and Emma J. Trotter; and one brother, Fran-
cis P. Trotter.

Mr. Trotter received his education in the pub-
lic schools of Augusta. Like his father, he de-
cided to become an iron moulder. From Augusta
he moved to Meadville, Pennsylvania, v/here he
worked at his trade. After spending some time
at Meadville, however, he decided to return to
his native State, and accordingly settled at Win-
throp, Maine. In 1881 he became a resident of
Salem, Massachusetts, where he lived until 1914.
In 1914 he moved from Salem to Danvers, where
he now lives. Mr. Trotter followed his trade for
forty years, at the end of wliich time, in 1910,
he retired. He attends the Maple Street Congre-
gational Church, of which his wife is a member.
He is a member of the Workmen's Association.

Mr. Trotter married Caroline Richmond, of
Winthrop, Maine. Mrs. Trotter is a daughter of
George Z. and Ellen (Benjamin) Richmond. Her
father was bom at Rockland, Maine. She was his
only child. Mr. and Mrs. Trotter have two chil-

ilsacx— 2— 17



WILLIAM W. TROTTER — For years identified
with the incandescent lamp industry in Danvers,
and now an expert in his hne, William W. Trotter
is also well known in many circles of activity in
this vicinity. Mr. Trotter is a son of Charles W.
Trotter, who was bom in Maine, in 1850, later
coming to Salem, Massachusetts, where he fol-
lowed the trade of iron moulding- He married
Caroline Richmond, of Maine, and they had two
children: Florence Benjamin, now Mrs. Lawrence
Perkins, and William W., whose name heads this
review.

William W. Trotter was bom in Salem, Decem-
ber 14, 1883. Gaining a practical education in the
grammar and high schools of his native city, he
entered the employ of the Boston & Maine rail-
road, in the Salem freight office. Here he re-
mained for a period of three years, thereafter
becoming connected with the Bay State Lamp
Company, now the Hygrade Lamp Company, where
he remained for three years. Continuing in the
lamp business permanently. Mr. Trotter was with
several different manufacturers, each for a short
period, then in 1913 became associated with the
Atlantic Lamp Company, in which concern he is



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 4 of 56)