Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 41 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 41 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Massachusetts, was born in Methuen, same State, June
30, 1865, son of Henry C. and Mary P. (Frye) Rich-
ardson, the former originally of Manchester, New
Hampshire, and the latter of a Bradford, Massachusetts,
family; she died in 1901, but her husband lived until
1918, reaching the venerable age of seventy-seven years.
He was a veteran of the Civil War, serving first with
the First Heavy Artillery of Massachusetts, and an-
other war enlistment in the Massachusetts Infantry.
He was honorably discharged in the grade of sergeant.
Later in life he was affiliated with the Grand Army of
the Republic, a member of the Colonel W. B. Green
Post, No. 100, of Methuen. Massachusetts. He entered
actively into business, and was identified with the felt
and rubber business almost to the year of his death.

Charles A. Richardson, son of Henry C. Richardson,
received elementary education in the public schools of
Methuen, Massachusetts, and later at Haverhill, .\fter
leaving school he was for about a year in the employ of



444



ESSEX COUNTY



the Methuen Woolen Company. His subsequent busi-
ness career was destined to be a varied one. For tive
years after leaving his first employers he worked in a
shoe factory; ne.xt, for a similar period, he was in the
felt-boot business, after which for five years he was
in the carriage and harness trade. Then followed more
than a generation of service to railway companies ; for
seven years he was in the employ of the Haverhill and
Amesbury Railroad Company, and for nineteen years
he served the Bay State Railroad Company, leaving that
company in order to enter into business for himself, or
rather in association with another, Lloyd Johnson
(q. v.), of Haverhill. They have a good ignition and
battery business on White street, and have good
prospects.

Mr. Richardson is a member of the Masonic order,
and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of
Haverhill. He is a Congregationalist, a member of the
Haverliill church of that denomination.

Mr. Richardson married, in 1907, Mabel Croome, of
Brantford, Canada. Their home is at No. 19 Concord
street, Haverhill.



AMOS MARSTON SPURR— Conducting a large
and constantly widening business on the factory-to-con-
sumer plan, the Shu-Fix Shop, of Lawrence, Massa-
chusetts, of which Amos Marston Spurr is one of the
active managers, produces men's shoes for their own
retail trade, exclusively.

Mr. Spurr comes of a family of shoe workers. He is
a son of John M. Spurr, who was born in Nova Scotia,
and came to Methuen, Massachusetts, about 1832. John
M. Spurr followed shoemaking throughout his lifetime,
having learned the trade from his father. He remained
in Essex county, and married Sarah Jane Lowell.

Amos Marston Spurr was born in Methuen, June 4,
1855. He received a limited but practical education in
the public schools of that town, then when only twelve
years of age began to learn the shoemaker's trade from
his grandfather. When fifteen years of age he entered
one of the shoe factories of Lawrence, and from that
time on was identified with the larger factories, rising
from one position to another of greater responsibility,
until he became superintendent of the Alfred Kimball
Shoe Company's plant, which office he ably filled for a
period of twenty-nine years. In 1908, in association
with R. J. Fleming, of Lawrence, Mr. Spurr took up
the active management of the Shu-Fix Shop, located at
No. 150 Broadway, under the firm name of Fleming
& Spurr. This business was established in igo6 by Mr.
Fleming, the shop then being equipped with modern ma-
chinery for repair work. Upon Mr. Spurr's coming into
the firm the scope of the plant was greatly broadened,
and since that time the company has manufactured
shoes to be sold at retail on the premises, confining their
product to shoes for men. They have a very complete
and entirely modern equipment, and employ fourteen
skilled men in the manufacturing and repair depart-
ments. Mr. Spurr is a member of William B. Gale
Lodge, Knights of Pythias, of Lawrence, and attends
the Wood Memorial Church.

Mr. Spurr married, in 1878, in Haverhill, Massachu-
setts, Esther M. Ayer, of Salem, New Hampshire, and



tliey have one son living, Elbert A., who is associated
with his father in business as assistant manager of the
Shu-Fix Shop; he married Mabel Searls, and they have
three children : Clarence, Gwendolin, and Marston.
F.lbert A. Spurr and his family attend the Universalist
church of Haverhill, and reside at No. 43 Brockton
avenue. Another son, Clarence M., was drowned at the
age of fourteen years, in the Merrimack river. The
family home of Amos M. Spurr is at No. 521 Andover
street, Lawrence.



ARTHUR BEAUCAGE, for many years identified
v.'ith the business and political world, has long been a
resident of Essex county, Massachusetts, and active in
Its progress.

Mr. Beaucage was born in Sorel, Province of Que-
bec, Canada, on October 22, 1871. Receiving his early
education in the schools of his native town, he took a
four years' course in pharmacy at the Montreal College
of Pharmacy, after which he came to Lowell, Massa-
chusetts. Here he was employed by a drug concern for
a period of five years. In 1900 he entered the insur-
ance business in Lowell, as agent for the John Hancock
Mutual Life Insurance Company, and was thus engaged
for five years. He then became associated with the Bos-
ton Mutual Life Insurance Company, as assistant super-
intendent at their Lowell office, then later as general
manager at Webster and Southbridge, Massachusetts.

Following these activities Mr. Beaucage became inter-
ested in journalism, first as city editor, and later as
editor of "L'Etoile," the well-known French daily pub-
lished in Lowell. Thereafter he went to Salem, Massa-
chusetts, as editor-in-chief of "Le Courrier," a daily
newspaper published simultaneously in Lawrence, Salem
and Lynn. He is also interested in "Le Courrier de
Lawrence," of which Herigault Pelletier is editor, as
manager of the subscription department.

Mr. Beaucage is a member of the Lawrence Cham-
ber of Commerce, and is a member of numerous fra-
ternal and social organizations, including the Union St.
Jean de Baptiste of America, the Artisans Canadiens
Francais, the Catholic Order of Foresters, the Catholic
Fraternal League, of Boston, and the Franco-American
Order. He is also a member of the Franco-American
Republican Club, of Boston. By political affiliation a
Republican, Mr. Beaucage is broadly interested in civic,
social and political affairs, and in the interests of public
welfare and reform along all these lines he has made
many public addresses throughout New England in the
past twenty-five years.

Mr. Beaucage married, July 29, 1903, in Lowell, Eleo-
nore Coutu, of that city, and they have six children.



HARRY W. TWOMBLY was born at Haverhill,
Massachusetts, on December 3, 1885, and is a son of
Charles A. and Alice G. (Lear) Twombly. His mother
and father were born at Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
His father, who was a funeral director, died in 1913.

Mr. Twombly received his early education in the
public schools of Haverhill, and was a member of the
class of 1905 in the high school. After his school days
were over, Mr. Twombly enlisted in the Medical and
Hospital Corps of the United States army, in which he



BIOGRAPHICAL



445



served during the years 1901 to 1904. He was on
board the U. S. S. "Hartford" during her cruise of the
Mediterranean.

Mr. Twombly began his business career by accepting
a position with the National Casket Company of Boston.
This connection lasted for a year, at the end of which
Mr. Twombly associated himself with C. J. Rhode-
strand, of Springfield, Massachusetts. Still later, he
became connected with John Corbin, of Burlington,
Vermont. When his connection with Mr. Corbin came
to an end, Mr. Twombly spent two years in study at the
State Hospital. More fully equipped than ever for
work of a professional nature, Mr. Twombly became a
private nurse. He is a graduate of the Volke, Reed
Hospital of Washington, D. C. In September, 1919, in
partnership with Mr. Boland, he established the firm of
Twombly & Boland, funeral directors, with offices at
No. 89 Main street, Bradford, Massachusetts, where he
still remains. Mr. Twombly is a Catholic, and a mem-
ber of the Knights of Columbus.

Mr. Twombly married ISIary B. Reynolds, of Ded-
ham, Massachusetts, in 1913. Mrs. Twombly is a
daughter of Owen J. and Alice (Powderley) Reynolds.
Her father, who is a public official of Dedham, Massa-
chusetts, was born in Ireland; her mother was born at
South Acton, Massachusetts.



member of St. James' Church, and of the American
Legion, being a veteran of the World War.

Mr. Wills married Ruth Sprague, of Providence,
Rhode Island, in 1920. Mrs. Wills is a daughter of
Arthur and Annie Little, of Vermont, her father the
overseer of the Oswoco Mill.



BERTRAM R. WILLS was born at Somerville,
Massachusetts, on July 8, 1896, and is a son of Albert
James and Katherine (Burns) Wills. His father, who
was born at Lewiston, Maine, is the president of the
Wills Motor Company, of Haverhill, Massachusetts.
Mr. Wills' mother was born at Charlestown, Massa-
chusetts.

Mr. Wills received his early education in the public
schools of Lawrence, Massachusetts, and later completed
a full course of study at Cann's Commercial College.
After leaving school he spent a year working at the
Common Street Garage, at Lawrence, and then went to
Detroit, Michigan, where he spent a year in the Hudson
factory and acquired a great deal of practical experi-
ence in regard to manufacturing methods in the auto-
mobile industry. At the end of this period he returned
to Massachusetts and entered the service of the Wills
Motor Car Company, of which his father is president.
He remained at Lawrence until the LTnited States entered
the World War, when he enlisted in the United States
navy, on April 15, 191 7.

After his enlistment in the United States navy, Mr.
Wills was sent, first, to Newport, Rhode Island, and
thence to the Boston Receiving Station. From Boston
he was transferred to Norfolk, Virginia, and later
assigned to the U. S. S. "Michigan." From the "Mich-
igan" he was transferred to Portsmouth, New Hamp-
shire, next serving on the U. S. S. "Lake Gasper," pro-
ceeding to Cardiff, Wales, and later, to Brest, France.
He was then transferred to the U. S. S. "Imperator,"
and discharged at Hingham, Massachusetts, on October
I, 1919, with the rank of fireman.

After receiving his discharge from the United States
navy, Mr. Wills entered the firm of which his father
IS president, becoming vice-president This firm, the
Wills Motor Car Company, has its offices at No. 513
River street, Haverhill, Massachusetts. Mr. Wills is a



CORNELIUS A. DONOVAN, of the firm of Foley,
Donovan & Chadwick Company, of Lawrence, Massa-
chusetts, is one of the leading business men of that city,
and was born there January 9, 1887, son of John J.
Donovan, also of Lawrence, who died there in iSgi,
and Sarah G. (Blake) Donovan, a native of Boston, now
residing in Lawrence. Mr. Donovan was educated in
the public schools of Lawrence, and after leaving the
high school, went to work in the Arlington Mills, and
after a year there, resigned to work for the Sullivan
Furniture Company of Lawrence. Mr. Donovan spent
seven years in the employ of this firm and during these
years diligently applied himself to the mastering of the
business in all its details with the result that he was in
a position to engage in a similar line of business on his
own account as a member of the firm above mentioned.
This firm is now one of the established business houses
of Lawrence, and the members of the firm are among
the foremost citizens there. Mr. Donovan is a Demo-
crat in politics, and although not a seeker for public
office of any kind, does take a keen interest in matters
of public welfare, as is natural with every good citizen.
He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks, and attends St. Patrick's Roman Cath-
olic Church of Lawrence.



JOSEPH O'DONNELL, undertaker and livery
owner, and now a selectman of Amesbury, Massachu-
setts, has been connected with that town for almost
thirty years. He was born on Prince Edward Island,
Canada, on May 10, 1871, son of Anthony and Ann
(O'Keefe) O'Donnell, the former of Irish birth, and
the latter born in Newfoundland, of Irish parents. In
America, Anthony O'Donnell engaged in farming until
his death.

Joseph O'Donnell attended the schools of Prince
Edward Island, and until he was nineteen years old
stayed at home, assisting his father in farming work.
He then came to Amesbury, Massachusetts, and there
found employment with the Riddle & Smart Company,
which firm he served for about two years. Several
more years passed in the service of various firms in
Amesbury, and for a couple of years he was in Boston,
working in that city for D. P. Nichols, carriage builder.
However, he returned to Amesbury, and there, in 1900,
became associated with his brother, D. P. O'Donnell,
who owned a livery and undertaking business, the for-
mer known as the American House Stable Company.
The brothers were in partnership only a year before
the death of D. P., and Joseph then took over the
whole business, which he has successfully conducted
ever since. In 1901, in order to give expert service in
undertaking, Joseph O'Donnell attended the Massachu-
setts College of Embalming, and was graduated eventu-
ally therefrom.

Mr. O'Donnell is a public-spirited citizen. He is a
member and director of the Amesbury Chamber of



446



ESSEX COUNTY



Commerce ; was a member of the Volunteer Fire
Department; in 1915 was elected to the Board of Health
of Amesbury, serving four years, and is now in his
second term ; was elected selectman of the town of
Amesbury in 1921-22, and reelected in 1921 ; and in
many other ways has given clear indication that he
does not shirk public work. He belongs to many fra-
ternal organizations, including the Ancient Order of
Hibernians, the Ancient Order of United Workmen,
the xAmesbury Council of the Knights of Columbus, the
Amesbury Aerie of Eagles, and the Amesbury Veteran
Firemen's Association. Politically he is a Democrat.
He is a devout Catholic, member of St. Joseph's Cath-
olic Church, of Amesbury. He is also superintendent of
St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery.

Mr. O'Donnell married, in 1904, Julia T. Rooney, who
was born in Amesbury, Massachusetts, on October 21,
1873. They have two children : Francis A., born July
?9, 190S ; and Joseph P., born April 29, 1907.



JOSEPH CAMIRE, as head of the Camire Welding
Company, of Lawrence. Massachusetts, is building suc-
cess from one of the necessary branches of industry,
making it his specialty.

Mr. Camire was born in Canada, on February 2, 1892,
but came to the United States with his parents when
three years of age, locating in Maine, where he became
a loyal citizen of the United States; he was educated
in the parochial schools of San ford, Maine. Always
interested in machinery, when he came to an age to go
out into the world for himself, he followed this natural
bent. He learned acetylene welding, and for the past
twelve years has followed that line of work exclusively,
for eight years in New York City, for one year in Port-
land, Maine, and thereafter in Lawrence, where he is
now well established in an independent business. Mr.
Camire came to Lawrence in 1918, and was first employed
here by John P. Ryan, Jr., whose business he purchased
on June 27, 1919. He now has a complete welding room
and machine shop, well equipped with the most modern
facilities, and employs from three to seven men at dif-
ferent times. His business location is an excellent one,
on the corner of Lawrence and Canal streets.

In 1918 Mr. Camire enlisted for service in the World
War. He was stationed at Fort Hamilton, New York,
in the Coast Artillery, but was discharged before the
end of the year on account of disability. Mr. Camire
is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks.

Mr. Camire married, on August 25, 1920, Merilda
Dube, of Lawrence. They reside at No. 191 Park
street, and attend St. Ann's Roman Catholic Church.
They have two children: Rita and Hubert.



WILLIAM H. CALLAHAN, inspector of build-
ings and superintendent of public property in Law-
rence. Massachusetts, was born in Boston, Massachu-
setts, on April 9, 1872, son of William and Bridget
(Gair) Callahan. His parents were of County Cork,
Ireland, and his father, who was a mason, died in 1872.
His mother lived a widowhood of forty-four years,
her death not occurring until 1916. They had four
children, William H. being the third-born. Much of
his boyhood can not have been spent in Boston, for the



whole of his schooling was obtained in Lawrence
schools. After leaving school he found employment
with E. A. Peabody & Sons, masons, and was con-
nected with them for fifteen years thereafter. Then
followed three years spent in New York City, where he
worked as a mason, but he returned to Lawrence then,
and since has been in business for himself as a mason
contractor. Among the notable structures built by Mr.
Callahan in the Lawrence district are the John Breen
School, the County Training School, the Jersey Ice
Cream building, the E. W. Dillon building, and St.
Joseph's School; also the comfort station on Lawrence
Common. Mr. Callahan was superintendent for W. N.
Pike & Sons, and superintendent of the municipal garage
construction. In 192 1 he was appointed to civic office,
being made inspector of buildings and superintendent of
public property.

Mr. Callahan is a veteran of the Spanish-.^merican
War. He saw service in Cuba with the Eighth Massa-
chusetts Regiment, being a member of Company L. He
now belongs to the Spanish War Veterans, to the
Masons' Union, and to the Fraternal Order of Eagles.
He also is past president and treasurer of Bricklayers'
Union No. 10, of Lawrence.

During his long connection with the city of Lawrence,
he has at times shown a very active interest in civic
affairs. For two years he was an alderman (1910-11) ;
has served on several civic committees; and is an over-
seer of the poor. He is a member of the St. Laurence
Catholic Church, and of the Knights of Columbus. Mr.
Callahan is very fond of sports; he was champion light-
weight wrestler of New England, and also held swim-
ming championships.

Mr. Callahan married, in 1894, Margaret Hoye, of
Lawrence, daughter of Laurence Hoye, a carpenter,
who died in 1891. Mr. and Mrs. Callahan have three
children: William, Jr., born in 1895; Esther, born in
1901 ; and Joseph, born in 1913.



CHARLES A. O'CONNOR, of Lawrence, Massa-
chusetts, was born in that city, March 3, 1881, son of
Patrick O'Connor, born in 1847, in County Waterford,
Ireland. He was a thorough horseman, which occupa-
tion he followed in America until a few years before his
death in December, 1920. Patrick O'Connor married
Bridget Duffy, a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, and
she died in 1907. Their son was educated in the paro-
chial school and St. Mary's High School, at Lawrence,
and soon afterwards started to work for William H.
Abbott, owner of one of the oldest sign painting busi-
nesses in Lawrence, being founded by Mr. Abbott at
the close of the Civil War in 1867. In 1907 Mr. O'Con-
nor purchased a half-interest in Mr. Abbott's business,
and this partnership was carried on for five years,
terminating with the death of Mr. Abbott. At this time
Mr. O'Connor purchased the remaining interest, and at
the same time changed the firm name to Charles A.
O'Connor, Signs, continuing to the present time. He
makes a specialty of painting commercial signs, and
employs on an average of four men.

Mr. O'Connor is a member of the local Painters'
Union, and fraternally he affiliates with the Knights of
Columbus.

Mr. O'Connor married, June 20, 1906, Jennie Calnan,




MR. AND MRS. JOSEPH CAMIRE



BIOGRAPHICAL



447



of Lawrence, and she died in 1914. Their children
are: Joseph, Charles, and John. The family attend
St. Augustine's Catholic Church of Lawrence.



ALEX H. CARLSON— A progressive business man
and leading citizen of Methuen, Massachusetts, Alex H.
Carlson is a native of Stockholm, Sweden, where he
was born December 9, 1872, and attended school. He
was a young man of twenty years when he came to
.America, first settling at Lowell, Massachusetts, and
there served his apprenticeship in stone cutting and
monument work, which occupation he followed as a
journeyman for several years.

In 1898 he removed to Lawrence, and there was
employed in the granite and monumental works of W.
Jones, continuing until igog, in which year he pur-
chased the business known as the Oakland Granite Com-
pany, in partnership with Lawrence Collins. This ar-
rangement, carried on for ten successful years, termi-
nated in 1919 by the death of Mr. Collins, and in the
same year Mr. Carlson purchased the former's interests
and has since continued in business alone.

Mr. Carlson engages in both monumental and build-
ing construction, and is skilled in these lines. Many
of the important building contracts in Lawrence have
been awarded him in the past years, and in the making
of monuments he has acquired a high skill of work-
manship, carrying satisfaction to those whose orders
he executes. He is a member of Kearsarge Lodge, No.
129. Knights of Pythias; and of the Congregational
church of Methuen.

Mr. Carlson married, in 1900, at Lawrence, Cecelia
Hanson, and they are the parents of a son, Arthur
Lawrence Carlson, born April 8, 1901. The family
reside at No. 12 Union street, Methuen.



GEORGE E. MORE'y, a successful merchant of
Newburyport, Massachusetts, was born there June 17,
1883, son of Captain Christopher Morey. His father
was a mariner and successfully followed this occupa-
tion for many years.

George E. Morey was educated in the public schools
of his native town, and at the age of fourteen years
began to learn the butcher's trade, and for several years
was engaged in this work. He then became a clerk for
E. P. Stickney, and subsequently was in the employ of
P. B. Curtis and W. J. Clancy, respectively. After
eleven years in the service of Mr. Clancy, Mr. Morey
purchased the business which he conducts at the pres-
ent time.

Mr. Morey married, July 6, 1907, Matilda May Fran-
coner. Fraternally he is a Mason, and a member of the
Mystic Shrine.



LOUIS S. ADAMS, owner of the Louis S. Adams
Sale Stable, of Georgetown, Massachusetts, is well
known in that vicinity, having lived there for the
greater part of his life. He was born in Georgetown,
Marlboro District, Massachusetts, May 22, 1866. the
son of Jophanis and Laura (Brucklebank) Adams, both
originally of Maine. But the family removed to
Georgetown when Louis S. was still in his infancy, and
the whole of his schooling was obtained in George-
town public schools. His father opened a sales and



livery stable in Georgetown, and after his schooldays
were finally over, Louis S. became associated with his
father in the conduct of that business. The father's
death did not occur until July 5, 1914, but Louis S.
relieved his father of business cares in 1909, when he
bought the business, thus permitting his father to retire.
Since that year the establishment has been known as
the Louis S. Adams Sale Stable, and is continuing to
bring in satisfactory revenue.

There are few men better known in Georgetown than
Mr. Adams. He is an active member of the local
Grange, and religiously he is a Baptist, attending the
Georgetown church of that denomination.

Mr. Adams was married in 1888 to Carrie E. Cook,
daughter of John and Louisa (Harding) Cook. The
former, now deceased, was a farmer and butcher of
Newburyport and Groveland ; his wife, Louisa (Hard-
ing) Cook, was originally of Bradford, Massachusetts.



MEYER SEDERSKY, ex-serviceman and a suc-
cessful young business man of Lynn, Massachusetts,
was born in Lowell, same State, November ", 1894, son
of Harris Sedersky, who is the owner of the garage
operated by the family. The Sedersky family was
originally from Russia, but has had several decades of
American residence.

Meyer Sedersky was educated in the public schools of
Boston, Massachusetts, and also the high school, grad-
uating with the English class of 1913. For some time
after leaving school Mr. Sedersky seems to have
intended to follow journalism. He was in newspaper
work for two years, and at the end of that time went



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 41 of 56)