Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 42 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 42 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


into horticultural business. Later, for eighteen months,
he was with the Auto Tire Exchange Company, of
Lynn. In 191 7, however, he set aside his personal
affairs and enlisted in the United States army for serv-
ice during the World War. He was assigned to New-
port News, Virginia, and in that busy embarkation
point, served throughout the war, reaching the rank of
quartermaster. He was honorably discharged in
December, 1918, and soon thereafter joined his brother,
Hyman E., in a business enterprise in Lynn. They
established the City Hall Tire Company, and opened a
store at No. 155 Central avenue, Lynn, where from a
very small line the brothers have developed one of the
best tire, tube, and accessories businesses in Lynn. The
company has specialized in vulcanizing, and by close
attention to business and good workmanship they have
reached commendable standing in Lynn.

Meyer Sedersky is a member of the local body of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is becoming
well known in the business world of Lynn. He is
unmarried.



JOHN O'DONNELL. merchant, of Newburyport,
Massachusetts, was born March 12, 1887, in Ireland,
son of Hugh and Sarah O'Donnell. His education was
obtained in the public schools of his native home, and
in 1906 he came to America and followed the trade of
moulder. Soon after, he located at Cambridge, Massa-
chusetts, whence, in 1910, he removed to Newburyport
and became manager of the O'Keefe Grocery Store,
continuing in this position for two years. Then two
years were spent in the livery business, and at the end



448



ESSEX COUNTY



of this time Mr. O'Doniiell purchased the Tarpon Fish
Market, which he is still the owner of. With true
progressiveness, Mr. O'Donnell foresaw the possibilities
of a restaurant of the better kind, where tlie best of
ocean food could be served fresh, and opened the
Ocean Grill, one of the finest restaurants in Newbury-
port. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protec-
tive Order of Elks ; the Knights of Columbus ; Foresters
of America; and the Loval Order of Moose.



JOHN F. NICKET, a native of Haverhill, Massa-
chusetts, and well known in South Groveland and
Flaverhill, was born April 2, 1888, the son of John and
Jane M. (Dudley) Nicket. His mother was born in
Liverpool, England, but his paternal descent is French-
Canadian, his father having been born at Three Rivers,
which was one of the French-Canadian outposts in the
time of the viceregal French governors. Frontenac and
Denonville, during the reign of King Louis the
Magnificent.

John Nicket. father of John F. Nicket, was a grocer
in Haverhill, Massachusetts, for many years prior to
his death in 1902. John F.. as a boy, attended the
Haverhill public schools, and also for some years went
to the parochial school. For more than fifteen years
after leaving school he was in the employ of Chesley &
Rugg, shoe manufacturers of Haverhill, leaving their
employ in 1918 to enter the United States army for
service during the World War. Upon his return to
civil life he opened a garage for himself in Groveland,
and later opened a garage, service station, and repair
shop at No. 2S8 Groveland street, Haverhill ; and not-
withstanding that his business is only of comparatively
recent establishment, there is not much doubt that it is
well established and lucrative. He is enterprising and
attentive, desirous of giving good service, and he has no
reason to regret that he went into independent business.

Mr. Nicket belongs to several fraternal orders, in-
cluding the Knights of Columbus, the New England
Order of Protection, and the Loyal Order of Moose.
He enlisted in the United States army, on September 5,
1918, with the Motor Transport Corps, and was assigned
to Holabird, Maryland. He was discharged at Camp
Holabird, Maryland, on March 5, 1919, receiving a cer-
tificate of honorable discharge.

Mr. Nicket was married only a few days before he
left camp, the marriage being solemnized on September
2, 1918. His wife was .\gnes J. McCauley, of South
Groveland, Massachusetts, daughter of Alexander and
Jennie (Sadler) McCauley, the former of Irish and
the latter of Scotch birth. Alexander McCauley, who
is still living, is a mill worker.



WILLIAM J. HONOHAN, an electrical contractor
of Lawrence, Massachusetts, was born there August 3,
1881, son of John and Bridget (Hall) Honohan. His
parents were natives of Ireland, the father coming from
County Cork, and the mother from County Donegal.
John Honohan came to Lawrence in 1859, where he was
employed as a stationary engineer. He died in 1896.

The education of William J. Honohan was obtained
in the public schools, and subsequently he worked for
various electrical contractors, with the idea in mind of



learning the business. By attention to detail and natural
business acumen, Mr. Honohan was in a position in
1909 to engage in business for himself. Since that time
he has had steady progress, and in addition to his con-
tracts is a retail dealer in all kinds of electrical appli-
ances. He is a member of the Fraternal Order of
Eagles.

Mr. Honohan married, November 23, 1910, Ellen
McGrath, and they are the parents of a son, Thomas
Francis, and a daughter, Ellen. Mr. Honohan and his
family attend St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church.



CHARLES A. JONES— An active business man,
identified with two 'successful corporations in New-
buryport, Massachusetts, Mr. Jones is known to very
many of the business people of that place. He was
born in Rochester, New Hampshire, June 6, 1S80, son of
Warren C. and Clara A. (Abbott) Jones. Both parents
are still living, and his father is still comparatively
active as a merchant. He was of Lebanon, Maine, but
his wife was of Rochester, New Hampshire, where
their son, Charles A., was born.

Charles A. Jones was educated in the public schools
of Rochester, and graduated from the high school in
the class of 1898. Entering business life, he found
employment with the Rochester Lumber Company, with
which company he remained for three years. For five
years, thereafter, he was with L. M. Dyer, of Boston,
in the wholesale beef business, then, for a while, until
1913, he was in the retail business. In that year, how-
ever, he became a restaurant owner in Newburyport,
and continued to operate that enterprise for two and a
half years. In 1915, after giving up his restaurant, Mr.
Jones became manager of the Newburyport Garage
Company, in Newburyport. He is still connected with
that business, although it was known as Ingalls' Garage
in earlier days. The business was established in 1904,
and in 1905 a company was formed and received a
charter as the Newburyport Garage Company, Inc. Mr.
Jones is vice-president of that company, and still takes
an active part in the business. Mr. Jones formed, in
1919, in association with Harry Barth and J. Everett
Frost, an ice company, and it is stated that they are
the largest ice dealers in the Newburyport district, not-
withstanding that they have barely been in business two
years.

Mr. Jones is a member of the Masonic order, iden-
tified with all lodges to the Shrine, and he is also a
member of the Dalton Club. He is a most popular man,
is progressive and energetic, and in both ice and garage
enterprises, has given indication that his business suc-
cess comes by efficient service. Since he has been
connected with it the garage has been maintained at a
standard which will compare with the best and most
modern in the district.

In 1909 Mr. Jones married Bertha R. Busch, of
Methuen, Massachusetts, daughter of John A. and Effie
M. (Patch) Busch, of Rochester, New Hampshire. Mrs.
Jones' father is a woolen mill's superintendent, and her
mother was of a Shapley, Maine, family. Mr. and Mrs.
Jones have no children, but Mr. Jones has two sisters
and a brotlier, all younger. ,





■cn^



rn.



^uy\



/X




BIOGRAPHICAL



449



THOMAS SOMERVILLE, a native of Lanca-
shire, England, became a resident of North Andover,
Massachusetts, at an early age, coming here with his
parents, both natives of England. His father, John
Somcrville, was also born in Lancashire, as was his
mother, Rachel (Hardy) Somerville. The former was
long engaged in business as a blacksmith, and died in
1907. having survived his v^ife just one year.

Mr. Somerville attended school in North Andover,
and then entered the employ of the Dans & Thurber
Machine Company of that town, where he learned the
trade of machinist, serving an apprenticeship of three
years. After leaving this firm he entered the employ of
the Lawrence Machine Company, remaining for three
years, then returned to his original employers. After a
>ear he resigned to enter the employ of the Naumkeag
Mills at Salem, Massachusetts, and thence he returned
tc Lawrence, and to the employ of the Washington Mills
there, remaining from May, 188;. to March, 1906, and at
the time of leaving he held the position of foreman. In
the latter year Mr. Somerville accepted a position with
the Wood Mill Company, as master mechanic, a posi-
tion he is well fitted for by virtue of his many years of
experience and his mechanical ingenuity.

Mr. Somerville is a Republican, and one of the
leading citizens of Lawrence. He served for three
years as a member of the Massachusetts State Militia,
from 1880 to 1883, and was discharged with the rank of
sergeant. His fraternal afifiliations are with the Ma-
sonic order; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
lodge and encampment ; the Eastern Star ; Benevolent
?nd Protective Order of Elks; and the Veterans' Asso-
ciation.

Mr. Somerville married, in 1885, Eliza A. Briggs, a
native of Lockwood, England, and they are the parents
of a son, Fred Somerville, born June 2, 1886. The latter
married Alice Phelan of Lawrence. Mr. Somerville
uud his wife attend Grace Episcopal Church of
Lawrence.



FREDERICK L. WATSON— Following one of
the branches of production most vital to the public wel-
fare, Frederick L. Watson, of Essex, Massachusetts, is
achieving success along agricultural lines. Air. Watson
was born on Hog Island, Massachusetts, September 15,
1SS6, and is a son of Frank E. and Clara E. (Low)
Watson. As a boy Mr. Watson attended the public
schools of Essex, and laid a practical foundation for
the future. After leaving school he took up farming,
and has continued in this branch of endeavor. He is
now making a success of diversified farming.

Mr. Watson married, in igoS, Bessie M. Gray, of
Wakefield, Massachusetts, and they have five children:
Frederick L., Jr., Doris B., Margaret A., Elsie M., and
Roy E. The family attend the Catholic church of Essex.



JOSEPH WILKINSON, assistant agent of the
Wood Worsted Mills, of Lawrence, Massachusetts, was
bom in Bradford, England, December I, 1875, son of
Thomas Wilkinson, a merchant of that place, and Rose
(Jowett) Wilkinson.

Mr. Wilkinson attended the schools of Bradford, and
at the age of seventeen years came to the United States.
Essex — 2 — 29



He located at Plymouth, Massachusetts, and entered the
employ of the Plymouth Woolen Company, thence
removing to Lawrence, aiid to the employ of the Wash-
ington Mills of that city. He was employed by the
latter firm during the years between 1893 and 1906,
mainly in the finishing, shipping and designing depart-
ments, then was transferred to the position of office
manager of the order department of the Wood Worsted
Mills, and also performs the duties of secretary to the
agent of the mill. On January 23, 1918, he was pro-
moted to the oflice of assistant agent, which he now ably
holds, and is among the well known business men of
Lawrence. In politics Mr. Wilkinson is a Republican.
Fraternally he is a member of Lawrence Lodge, Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows; Grecian Lodge, Free
and .Accepted Masons ; Mt. Sinai Chapter, Royal Arch
Masons; Lawrence Council, Royal and Select Masters;
Bellamy Commandery, Knights Templar; and the Chad-
wick Club.

Mr. Wilkinson studied music with B. W. Hartley,
F. R. C. O., at Bradford, and later with John Batch-
elder, organist and choirmaster at Christ Episcopal
Church, Andover, Massachusetts, and Church of the
New Jerusalem, at Newton, Massachusetts. An organ-
ist of considerable talent, Mr. Wilkinson is well known
in musical circles, and has played in many churches in
Lawrence and vicinity. For the past seven years he has
been organist at Trinity Congregational Church, at
Lawrence ; also has served as organist and choir master
at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, at North Andover.

Mr. Wilkinson married, in 1898, Emily Kellett, of
Bradford, born there in 1876, daughter of Ernest Kel-
lett, and their children are : Elsie R., born in 1899;
Herbert Raymond, born in igoo, a graduate of the
Lowell Textile School, and at the present time serving
an apprenticeship as dyer at the Wood Worsted Mills ;
and Irvine T., born in 1906. With his family Mr. Wil-
kinson attends Grace Episcopal Church of Lawrence.



WILLIAM EDWARD ABBOTT, in 1917, became
an overseer of the Katama Mills Company, bringing to
this position the advantage of many years of experience
in mill work, and he is among the oldest mill represen-
tatives of Essex county. Mr. Abbott was born May 7,
1855, at Hancock, Maine, son of Moses Abbott, a farmer
of Hancock, who died in 1913, and Mary (Hodgkins)
Abbott, who died in 191 7, at Hancock.

Mr. Abbott was educated in the public and high
schools of Hancock, and soon after leaving school went
to Lowell, Massachusetts, and there entered the employ
of the Merrimac Mill, where he remained for seven
months. He then went to Lawrence, where he became
employed in the Atlantic Mills, and this marked the
beginning of a very long term of service in the inter-
ests of that company. In all. Mr. Abbott was there
thirty-two years, and at the time of resigning his posi-
tion, was assistant paymaster of the mills. For the
next few years he was night watchman of the Pacific
Mills, and in 1917 entered the employ of the Katama
Mills, as an overseer, which position he now holds.

Mr. Abbott married, in 1882, Eva R. Landers, daugh-
ter of A. B. Landers, of Kingsfield, Maine, and they are
the parents of a son, Herbert M. Abbott, who married,



450



ESSEX COUNTY



November 29, 1921, Lillian Grace Sears, of Worcester,
Massachusetts. Herbert M. Abbott was in service in
the World War, as a member of the 76th Division, and
was discharged in 1919. He is a member of the
Masonic order, and now holds the position of treasurer
of the Park Trust Company, of Worcester, Massachu-
setts, and is also vice-president of same. Mr. and Mrs.
William E. Abbott also are the parents of a daughter,
Lillian M., who resides at home. She is a stenographer
in the employ of the New England Telephone Company.
The family attend and aid in the support of the Central
Methodist Church, of Lawrence.



JOSEPH P. WADDINGTON— Since 1907 super-
intendent of the Washington Mill at Lawrence, Massa-
chusetts, Joseph P. Waddington has, in the years he
lias held this position, achieved a place of esteem not
only among those men under his charge but also in
the city of Lawrence and among his business contem-
poraries and fellow-citizens. His department has a very
high efificiency record, which is largely due to the man-
agement of Mr. Waddington through the cooperative
feeling he has instilled among the operatives.

Mr. Waddington was born at Yorkshire, England,
February i, 1866, son of Samuel Waddington, a sorter
of wool, whose death occurred in 1869. His mother was
Mary Dewhirst. of England, and she survived her hus-
band for twenty years.

Mr. Waddington attended the public schools of York-
shire, and then pursued a special course in a commercial
college. In 1887 he came to America, and was employed
at Olneyville and Providence, Rhode Island, in the mills
of that town. After two years he removed to Wans-
kuck, a village in North Providence in that State, and
there was employed in the Steere mills. For eighteen
years Mr. Waddington was identified with this com-
pany and received several promotions, being overseer
of the drawing room at the time of his resigning, this
occurring in 1907, on account of his removal to Lawrence,
where he became superintendent of the Washington Mill,
which position he has since continued to hold.

Mr. Waddington is a member of Tuscon Lodge, Free
and Accepted Masons, of Lawrence, Massachusetts.
With his family he is a member of the Baptist church
of Lawrence, and aids in the support of its good works.
He is a member of the board of trustees, and chairman
of the permanent fund.

Mr. Waddington married, in 1889, Susannah Riley,
s native of England, but who was reared in Providence,
and they are the parents of a son. Earl Joseph Wadding-
ton, born April 21, 1901.



LEENDA J. ADAM, a retail merchant of Merri-
mac, Massachusetts, and earlier a foreman in a Haver-
hill shoe factory, was born at St. Francois du Lac, Can-
ada, August I, 1871, son of Honore and Jessie (Foun-
tain) Adam, who were both of Canadian birth, the
former born at St. Francois du Lac, and the latter at St.
Thomas. The family later lived in the United States,
and Honore Adam became connected with the Massa-
chusetts shoe industry, remaining actively in work until
1906, when he decided to retire. His wife having died
in 1879, he married again a year later.

The Adam family has been resident in America for



several generations, Peter K. and Philemon (Depent)
Adam, grandparents of Lcenda J. Adam, having both
been born in St. Thomas. Canada, where the former
was a farmer until his death in 1882, ten years after the
demise of his wife.

In his boyhood, Leenda J. Adam attended the paro-
chial school in St. Francois du Lac. .'\fter leaving
school he obtained employment in a textile factory in
Manchester, New Hampshire, remaining there, how-
ever, but a short time, his next employers being the
Hilliard & Tabor Shoe Company, of Haverhill. In the
shoe factory of that company he passed twelve years,
for the greater part of the time being foreman of the
plant. Leaving their employ, he ne.xt became connected
with the Knight & Perry Shoe Company, of the same
place. He served that company for four years as fore-
man, at the end of which time he decided to venture
into business for himself, as a storekeeper at Lake
Attitash, Merrimac, Massachusetts. He has been quite
satisfied with the venture, and he still conducts the
business.

Mr. Adam belongs to the American Order of Forest-
ers, the Independent Orders of Foresters, and La Societe
St. Jean Baptiste. Politically he is a Republican. By
religious faith he is a Catholic, as have been members
of the Adam family for many generations, and he now
holds membership in the Roman Catholic Church of the
Nativity, at Merrimac.

Mr. Adam married, in 1893, Rose Lavallee, of Haver-
hill, born August 15, 1874, daughter of Narcisse Laval-
lee, of St. Hyacinth, Canada, and his wife, Marie Bro-
deur, of St. Denis, Canada. He was engaged in the
shoe industry in Portland, Maine, and later in Haver-
hill, Massachusetts; his wife died in 1910. Mr. and Mrs.
Adam have one child, an adopted daughter, Jeanette,
born in Haverhill on Novemljer 4, 1906.



WILLIAM ARTHUR PEDLER, beginning his
career as a clerk in one of the large manufacturing con-
cerns in Lawrence, Massachusetts, has, in twenty years,
by his own effort and competency, become the local
agent in charge of the manufacturing end of the busi-
ness. To him the operatives must look for direction,
and on him depends the quality of the output. He has
not failed either men or company, and is to-day reap-
ing his just reward not only in money, but even more
in the respect and honor awarded him by his associates
and friends.

Arthur Pedler, father of William A. Pedler, was born
in Devonshire, England, on October 6, 1843, and came to
this country in 1S81. For some time he was engaged in
the contracting business, but in later years was foreman
in the Acadia Mills of Methuen; he died in 1919. His
mother, Emma (Mallett) Pedler, who also was of
Devonshire birth, was born in June, 1851, and is now
living in Methuen, Massachusetts, which is also the home
of her son.

William Arthur Pedler was born in Methuen, Massa-
chusetts, February 22, 1884. He received his early edu-
cation in the grammar and high schools of the city. By
night study and attendance he won his way through
the Lowell Textile School, and in 1901 started to
work as a clerk in the Arlington Mills, in the cotton
department, and in twelve years had risen to be the



BIOGRAPHICAL



45 1



superintendent of this branch. Four years later, when
the cotton department was taken over by private indi-
viduals and given the name of Acadia Mills, Mr. Pedler
was made agent, a position he has held now ( 1921 ) for
the last four years. The .Acadia Mills are the largest
in the United States manufacturing mercerized, bleached
and dyed cotton yarns, and Mr. Pedler has entire
charge of the manufacturing end.

Mr. Pedler is a member of the National Association
of Cotton Manufacturers, the Lawrence Chamber of
Commerce; and is a trustee of the Broadway Savings
Bank. During the World War he gave his services
untiringly in the Red Cross and other war time efforts.
.\ lover of the out-of-doors, he is a member of the
Merrimack X'alley Country Club, and finds time in his
busy life to unite in fraternal fellowship with such
other clubs and societies as the Mcthuen Grange, and
Methuen Club, and is a past grand of Hope Lodge,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Methuen. Mr.
Pedler also is a member of the Masonic fraternity, a
member of John Hancock Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons. He is an attendant of St. John's Episcopal
Church, filling the office of clerk of same.



JOHN ARTHUR BUSFIELD, with his uncle,
James Busfield, arc two of the best known, most sought
after and popular men in Haverhill, Massachusetts.

John Arthur Busfield was born in Haverhill, Massa-
chusetts, November 15, 1882. His father was Walter
Busfield, of Andover, Massachusetts, who died in 1805;
his mother was Jessie (Gibson) Busfield, a native of Ar-
broath, Scotland. He attended the public schools until
the year after the death of his father, when he became
an apprentice boy in the machine shop of his uncle,
James Busfield.

James Busfield was one of the early pioneers in the
machinery business in Haverhill, having started what
is now^ the Busfield Machinery Company nearly a half
century ago. He is also a noted inventor, and patented
many appliances now in use all over the world on shoe-
making machines. Mr. James Busfield passed away
November 28, 1921, leaving the active management of
the firm to his nephew John. His heart and mind were
for anything that would advance or uplift the city. A
lover of the great out-of-doors, he spent much time
out in it, either practicing his hobby of photography,
or plying the artist's brush, for he was a painter of
landscapes. Yet with his pleasure he mixed a quiet
oversight of the establishment which he founded in his
<arly years.

John Arthur Busfield, after entering his uncle's shop,
worked his way up step by step through the various
departments until he became foreman. In 1913 after
seventeen years, he was made a partner by his uncle, and
the name of the firm became the Busfield Machinery
Company. From a small beginning in 1875 this business
has grown to be the largest of its kind in Haverhill.
First on Main street, later on its present site No. 72
Washington street, absorbing the house of N. J. Sawyer
in the "eighties." enlarging the plant from time to time
and taking on additional interests from year to year, it
has reached its present eminence. The company is an
extensive maker of heel machinery, does general machine
and engineering work, installs vacuum heating systems,



and does general jobbing in mill supplies, giving employ-
ment to about seventy men. In 1912 they became asso-
ciated with the Texas Oil Company, and are exclusive
representatives of the Texas petroleum products, cover-
ing Haverhill and the lower Merrimack X'alley.

John Arthur Busfield is the acting manager of these
multiple interests. Despite the business burdens upon
his shoulders, he finds time and opportunity to keep up
with social, fraternal and civic affairs. He is politically
a Republican; in the city he is a director in the Chamber
Gt Commerce and also a director of the First National
Bank. He affiliates with the Masonic order, belonging
to the Blue Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Ha-
verhill; Pentucket Chapter, Royal .Arch Masons; Ha-



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 42 of 56)