Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 43 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 43 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


verliill Council, Royal and Select Masters: Haverhill
Commandery, Knights Templar ; .A-leppo Temple, .An-
cient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of
Boston. Among his clubs are the Pentucket and Aga-
wam clubs ; and he has had the extreme honor to be
chosen for membership from his profession, in the
Rotary Club. In September, 1905, Mr. Busfield mar-
ried Jeanett Stewart, daughter of Peter and Sarah
(Pattinson) Stewart, both of whom came to this coun-
try from Glasgow, Scotland. Mr. Stewart became
interested in the shoe business in West Newburyport,
Massachusetts, and it was during this residence there
that Jeanett Stewart was born. No children have
blessed this union.

Mr. and Mrs. Busfield are attendants at the Congre-
gational church. During the strenuous period of the
World War they both were very active in the work of
the Red Cross and in the Liberty Loan drives, in both
of which their efforts were highly appreciated by the
society and government.



EATON & HOBBS— One of the interesting manu-
facturing establishments of Lynn, Massachusetts, is the
plant of the National Popcorn Works, of which Eaton
S: Hobbs are the proprietors. This firm was founded in
1882 by Messrs. Wilbur K. Eaton and Everett L. Hobbs,
for the manufacture of popcorn and popcorn confections.

The original venture was launched at Coney Island,
New York, as a summer business, and the first season
was carried on there exclusively. But the possibilities
in the idea seemed to warrant a broader scope of action,
so coming to Lynn, the firm secured a small place on
Boston street, and began to put up popcorn for the
public, and manufacture a variety of attractive popcorn
confections. They remained in their first location for
about five years, then, as the business was growing
steadily, and demanded more space, they removed to
Washington street. It was only a few years, however,
before this plant became inadequate, so they purchased
land at No. 261 Western avenue, and here erected a
factory building, especially suited to their individual
needs, 34x80 feet in dimensions, and three stories in
height. It was fully equipped with the most modern
machinery, of their designing, especially made for the
manufacture of their own products. The business has
grown to be very extensive, making a variety of corn
confections, including corn brittle, crispettes, etc. They
employ twenty people at this plant, and besides their
general wholesale trade, they have retail places at
Salem Willows, Beverly Beach, and Nahant Beach, on



452



ESSEX COUNTY



the North Shore, and at Asbury Park, New Jersey,
where they sell their products at retail. This is con-
sidered one of the most prosperous of the smaller
manufacturing enterprises of Lynn.

Both Mr. Eaton and Mr. Hobbs were born in New
Hampshire, and since the death of Mr. Eaton, which
occurred in 1906, Mrs. Eaton has retained an interest
in the business.



daughter, Doris E. ; and by the second marriage two
children were born, Priscilla and Muriel G. Their home
is at No. 35 Sheridan street, Haverhill.



CARL E. HOOKER— Almost an unique industry
of Haverhill is that of the Hooker-Howe Company,
theatrical costumers. There are of course other firms
in the same line, but the Haverhill Company named is
said to be the largest in the east, which may be well
appreciated when it is known that its store houses in
Bradford cover parts of three blocks, that it finds con-
stant employment for twenty people locally, and has in
all one hundred and five agents, being represented in
most of the principal cities east of the Mississippi
river. The business is owned and directed by Carl E.
Hooker, who has lived in Haverhill since 1905.

Mr. Hooker was born in St. Johnsbury, Vermont.
December 7, i8;6, son of Oman Van Buren and Julia
E. (Darling) Hooker, and descendant of a leading
New England family. His father lived in Vermont, and
was a manufacturer of saw milling machinery almost
until his death, which occurred in 1906. His mother
was of a Northfield, Vermont, family, and she died in
igo6. He spent practically the entire first thirty years
in his native place, attending the public schools in boy-
hood, and later becoming a student at the St. Johnsbury
Academy. After leaving school he found employment
in a minor capacity in an insurance office, but at the
end of three years left his first employer, so that he
might become office manager for the O. V. Hooker &
Son Company of St. Johnsbury. He was connected
with that firm for ten years, leaving in 1905. He then
came to Haverhill and at once started into business as a
costumer. It seems that he has had remarkable success,
for when he began in 1905 he had but one trunkful of
costumes. To-day the firm has three storehouses full
of all manner of costumes, for theatrical and society
events. It is an immense business reaching to all parts
of the United States east of the Mississippi, and to
many parts west. During the last two or three years
the Company has found considerable business in the
requirements of welfare departments cf large manu-
facturing corporations throughout the country, and its
large and varied stock enables it to cope with almost
any order. The original storehouse was at No. 63 Merri-
mac street, Haverhill, and the space available there was
used to the best possible advantage until it became alto-
gether too small. In 1914 Mr. Hooker was compelled
to seek larger quarters and the business was then moved
to its present location, Nos. 30-36 Main street, Brad-
ford, where it has twelve thousand square feet of floor
space.

Mr. Hooker is a member of the Haverhill Chamber
of Commerce, belongs to the United Travelers' Associa-
tion of America, and to the Agawam Club. He is a
member of the Congregational church of Haverhill.

He was married (first) in 1901, to Dora A. Joinsee,
of Montreal, and (second) to A. Maud Smith, of a
Vermont family. By the first marriage was born a



O'CONNOR & WHELAN— Frank J. Whelan and
Frank J. O'Connor, partners and owners of the Empire
Laundry of Lawrence, Massachusetts, have been success-
fully engaged in business there for twenty-one years.
Their business was founded in igoo at No. 602 Essex
street, and nine years later they moved to their present
location, at No. 10 Franklin street. The same year
they purchased the building.

Mr. Whclan's father, John Whelan, was a native of
Ireland and came to Lawrence in the early fifties. He
was engaged in the retail dry goods business on Essex
street. His mother was Jane McLaughlin, a native of
Providence, Rhode Island.

Frank J. Whelan was born in Lawrence, Massachu-
setts, August 22. 1864, and there attended the public
schools. His first position was as a clerk in a clothing
store and for two years he was a traveling salesman,
resigning from the latter position in 1900 to engage in
the laundry business on his own account. Since 1892 he
has taken an active interest in public matters in Law-
rence, and in that year was elected a member of the
Common Council and also served six months as presi-
dent of that body. He is a member of the Chamber of
Commerce, and fraternally is a charter m.ember of the
Knights of Columbus and of the Benevolent and Pro-
tective Order of Elks, Lodge No. 65. He was exalted
ruler of this organization in 1903.

Mr. Whelan married, in October, 1906. at Lawrence,
F.llen T. Mahoney, of that city, and their children are:
Catherine Jane, and Frank J., Jr. The family attend.
St. Lawrence's Roman Catholic Church.

Frank J. O'Connor, the other member of the firm, was
born August 27, 1863, in Lawrence, and after completing
his formal education, learned the trade of wood-worker,
which occupation he followed until the forming of the
laundry company in 1900. His father was Richard
O'Connor, of England. After coming to Lawrence, the
elder Mr. O'Connor was an operator in the textile mills-
Frank J. O'Connor married, in Chicago, Illinois, in
January, 1007, Mary Carey, of that city, and they are
the parents of Mary Rita, Frank, and John Carey-
O'Connor. They attend St. Mary's Church.



LOUIS BRUNO— In motoring circles of Lawrence,.
Massachusetts, the name of Bruno is familiar, and
stands for the efficient meeting of the wants of the
motoring public, both in the distributing branch and in
the service end of the business.

Mr. Bruno was born at St. Martin, Italy, December,
1890, and received his education in both his native Ipnd
and .\merica. He came to Lawrence in 1901, and after
bnishing school, was employed in the textile mills for
six years. In 1910 he became connected with the auto-
mobile business in the employ of Lawrence dealers,
largely acting in the capacity of salesman. On May 11,
191 8, he established the present business, and has since
built up a very extensive patronage. He handles cars
and trucks. Mr. Bruno is general manager and handlcs-
the sales end of the business, and with the spacious.



ho^^-






V ■v\-^-'



BIOGRAPHICAL



453



plant, covering about 18,000 square feet of floor space,
he does a large business.

Mr, Bruno is prominent fraternally, being a member
of Lawrence Lodge, No. 65, Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks ; and Lawrence Council, No. 67, Knights
of Columbus. He is a member of St. Monica's Roman
Catholic Church.

Mr. Bruno married, on July 24, 1916, Marion Bow-
doin, daughter of Joseph Bowdoin, of Methuen, the
ceremony taking place in Lawrence. They have four
children: Rita Marion; Vivian Corinne; Dorothy; and
Louis Michael. The family reside at No. 20 Welling-
ton street, in Methuen.



JOHN HENDRY, assistant superintendent of the
worsted department of one of the Pacific Mills, of
Lawrence, Massachusetts, was born in that city, Novem-
ber 30, 1875, son of William Hendry, a native of a
suburb of Glasgow, Scotland, who also is in the employ
of the Pacific Mills, where he has been for almost half
a century. Mr. Hendry's mother, Sarah (Stewart) Hen-
dry, was also a native of Scotland.

.•\s a boy John Hendry attended the public schools of
Lawrence, and soon after graduating, entered the employ
01 the Pacific Mills, where for eight years he was in the
weaving department. Mr. Hendry enlisted in the army
to serve in the Spanish-American War, and after
receiving his discharge, was employed as a machinery
erector by the Draper Company of that town for the
tollowing five years, when he again entered the employ
of the Pacific Mills, as loom-fixer, thence going to
Pawtucket, Rhode Island, and working for the Lor-
raine Mills of that city, being in charge of the weaving
department for six years. A third time he returned to
his original employer, and has continued there to the
present time, and as a reward for his years of experi-
ence and diligence is now assistant superintendent of
the worsted department of one of the mills of this com-
pany. Mr. Hendry is a Republican, and is a member
of the Chamber of Commerce and of the Caladonian
Club ; also a member of Jenks Lodge, No. 24, Free and
Accepted Masons; Mt. Sinai Chapter, Royal Arch
Masons; Lawrence Council, Royal and Select Masters;
Bethany Commandery, Knights Templar; Massachusetts
Consistory ; and .\leppo Temple. .Ancient Arabic Order
Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He was chairman of the
Lawrence Draft Board during the World War, and was
active in various phases of war work during that time.

In 1898 Mr. Hendry married Sadie Lord, born May
26, 1879, in Lawrence, daughter of Lawrence Lord, and
they are the parents of two daughters: Jessie Lord,
born June 7, 1899; and Marion S.. born July 8, 1900.
Mr. and Mrs. Hendry and their daughters attend St.
John's Episcopal Church of Lawrence.



THE CHARLES H. GARY HEEL COMPANY,

of Salem, Massachusetts, one of the pioneer companies
specializing in the manufacture of heels, but the only
factory of its kind in Salem, was founded by Charles
H. Cary and W. H. Kelly, the latter now deceased.
The company employs about seventy-five hands, and
makes heels for all styles af footwear, the greater part
of the product, however, being white heels, made of
leather board and some of straight leather. Since Mr.



Kelly's death Mr. Cary has been sole owner, he having
bought the Kelly interest from the heirs.

Charles H. Cary is of New Hampshire ancestry, the
son of Silas and Dora (Crowell) Cary. He was born
in Salem, New Hampshire, August 25, 1865, and there
was educated in the public schools. For about a year
after leaving school he was employed in a shoe factory
at iNlethuen, JMassachusetts, after which he moved to
Haverhill, Massachusetts, where he was engaged in the
shoe industry for sixteen years. For seven years of
that period he was foreman of the Woodman & Howe
Company, and the Hogden & Sargent Company, he
becoming a very skillful workman and capable fore-
man. Leaving Haverhill, he located in Salem, and with
W. H. Kelly for a partner, he began the manufacture
of heels. The business prospered, but two years after
its founding Mr. Kelly died. The heirs not wishing to
retain their interest, Mr. Cary purchased it and con-
tinued as the Charles H. Cary Heel Company, and is
yet its able managing head.

Mr. Cary is a member of the Salem Chamber of
Commerce, and of Haverhill Lodge, Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, and is interested in both organizations.
He is a public-spirited, progressive citizen, an able busi-
ness man, and a good citizen.

Charles H. Cary married, in 1878, Rose Rivers, of
Salem, Massachusetts.



MARTIN W. DUGAN, progressive business man of
Newburyport, Massachusetts, was born November 12,
1886, in Byfield, Massachusetts, son of James J. and
Mary (Scahill) Dugan, and after completing his for-
mal education in the public schools, he started at the
age of eighteen years to learn the trade of plumbing
and steam-fitting. In two years he became a journey-
man, and through foresight and thrift, soon established
himself in business as a plumbing and heating engineer.
Mr. Dugan has won the confidence and esteem of his
fellow-citizens, and is well known among them ; his
high grade of workmanship has brought him many con-
tracts, and his business is one of the foremost of its
kind in Newburyport.

Dr. Dugan is a member of the Benevolent and Pro-
tective Order of Elks ; the Knights of Columbus ; the
Loyal Order of Moose; and the Young Men's Christian
Association.



ERNEST L. PERRY— One of the widely patron-
ized motor service stations in Lawrence, Massachusetts,
is that of the Perry Motor Car Company, whose sales-
rooms and service station are located at No. 141 Jackson
street.

Ernest L. Perry, president of this concern, was born
October 21, 1872, in Augusta, Maine, son of William
L. and Ada A. (Gage) Perry.

William L. Perry was born in Putnam, Connecticut,
in December, 1850, and died at the age of fifty-two
years. He went to Maine when he was young, and
resided in Augusta until 1879. He was a natural
mechanic. He received a gold medal from the Massa-
chusetts Charitable Mechanics' Association, of Boston,
for the invention of a clutch and foot-power machine
by which enough foot-power could be developed to
drive a circular saw through a four-inch plank. He had



454



ESSEX COUNTY



numerous other patents, and also engaged in contracting
and building. From Augusta he removed to Lowell,
Massachusetts, and after about three years removed to
Chelsea. He died in Maiden, Massachusetts. His
wife was the daughter of William Gage, of Augusta,
Maine

After a practical preparation for his career in the
educational institutions of his native city, and several
years of successful business experience. Ernest L. Perry
came to Lawrence May I, 1907, and entered the insur-
ance business, in which he had been engaged for sev-
eral years. Six years later, in 1913. the rapid develop-
ment of the motor car induced him to drop the insur-
ance business and enter the automobile field. He was
successful from the first, and in 1917 the business was
incorporated under the present name. The Perry Motor
Car Company conducts a large garage, with thoroughly
modern equipment, its service station is one of the best
in the city, and their sales list includes the Jewett and
Paige cars and the Vim and Paige trucks.

Mr. Perry is a member of the Lawrence Chamber of
Commerce, and fraternally holds membership with Law-
rence Lodge, No. 65, Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks ; also with the Ancient Order of United
Workmen.

In West Medway, Massachusetts. Mr. Perry married
Mary E. Gormley, daughter of James Gormley, and
they have seven children, all at home : William F.,
James G., Ernest J., George V., Lucy M., Charles A., and
Tola K. The family reside at No. 57 Belmont street,
Lawrence, and attend St. Laurence's Roman Catholic
Church.



New Hampshire, daughter of Arthur and Amanda
(Martel) Gauthier, natives of Canada. Mr. and Mrs.
Golden are the parents of a son, Louis V., Jr., born in
August, 1920, and they attend St. Mary's Roman Cath-
olic Church, of Lawrence.



LOUIS V. GOLDEN, paymaster of the Kunhardt
Corporation, of Lawrence, Massachusetts, attained this
position through his own initiative and ability. He
entered the employ of the company as a clerk, and
through his industry and ambition has worked his way
upward.

Mr. Golden was born September 15, 1883, at Lawrence,
son of Martin Golden, of Cork, Ireland, later of Law-
rence. During his active life he was employed as a
stationary engineer, and for two terms was a member of
the City Council at Lawrence. He died in 1890, and is
survived by his wife, who was Hannah Toomey, of
Ireland, and now residing in Lawrence.

The education of Louis V. Golden was obtained in
the public schools of Methuen and at the high school,
graduating from the latter in the class of 1900. Sub-
sequently, he took a special course in stenography at
the Dempsey School, and was first employed in the law
office of J. P. S. Mahoney, where he remained for seven
years. In May, 1909, he entered the employ of the
Kunhardt Corporation as a clerk, and in two years was
advanced to the position which he held until April,
1922, that of paymaster, then was made employment
manager.

Mr. Golden is one of the active men in public matters
in Lawrence and Methuen ; he makes his home in the
latter place. He is chairman of the water board of
Methuen, and fraternally is a member of the Knights
of Columbus, and of the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks.

He married, in 1919, Beatrice A. Gauthier, of Nashua,



GEORGE L. GAHM, superintendent of worsted
yarns of the W'ood Worsted Mills, was borrt August 28,
7884, at Boston, Massachusetts, a son of Sebastian
Gahm, a native of Mergentheim, Germany, who was
for years engaged in the restaurant business in Boston,
but is now retired, and Annie A. (Cabe) Gahm, a native
of Bangor, Maine.

The boy, George L., obtained his education in the
schools of Boston, and after graduating from the high
school, attended the Lowell Textile School, graduating
in the class of 1906. Very soon after this time Mr.
Gahm started to work in the Wood Worsted Mills, and
began his apprenticeship to learn the practical side of
the business after studying the theoretical part at the
textile school. By painstaking, diligent effort, combined
with a natural ambition to succeed, Mr. Gahm worked
his way upward to the position of superintendent of
worsted yarns, which he now holds. He is a Republican
in politics ; a member of Grecian Lodge. Free and Ac-
cepted Masons; Mt. Sinai Chapter, Royal Arch I\Ia-
sons ; Lawrence Council. Royal and Select Masters;
Bethany Commandcry, Knights Templar; and Aleppo
Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic
Shrine ; and he is also a member of Lawrence Lodge,
No. 65, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. His
club is the Merrimac Valley Country Club, and he is a
member of the Lutheran church.

Mr. Gahm married, in 1920, Helen L. Churchill, born
at Lawrence, October 13, 1886, daughter of Thomas and
Annie (Hughes) Churchill, and their son, George L.
Gahm, Jr., was born January 15, 1921.



EDWARD T. McNALLY, general manager of the
Emerson Manufacturing Company, of Lawrence. Mas-
sachusetts, was born October 15, 1878, at Lowell, Massa-
chusetts, son of Michael J. McNally, born in 1853, at
Dover, New Hampshire, and who, until his death in
1896, was engaged as a belt-maker in Lawrence. Massa-
chusetts. His wife, Frances (Garland) McNally, was
born in Lowell, and died in 1920. aged about sixty-two
years.

The public schools of Lawrence afforded the early
education of Mr. McNally, and his first experience in
the business world was as an employee of the Pacific
Mills, where he served his apprenticeship as a machin-
ist, and after three years, secured a position with the
Davis & Furber Company. During his apprenticeship
he studied mechanical drawing at night school. In 1900
he entered the employ of the firm of which he is now
general manager, starting as a draftsman and working
his way upward by his own effort. In the city of Law-
rence Mr. McNally is one of the foremost citizens ; he is
a member of the Democratic party.

Mr. McNally married, in 1907, Josephine Holland, of
Lawrence, and their son, Edward, was born there Sep-
tember 18, 1910. With his wife and son. Mr. McNally
attends the Immaculate Conception Church of Lawrence.





^ I





BIOGRAPHICAL



455



JOHN J. MURPHY, chairman of the Board of
Assessors, of Lawrence, Massachusetts, is one of the
leading and most progressive citizens of that city. He
was born January 6. 1859, in Lawrence, son of John
Alurphy, a native of Ireland, and Catherine (Corcoran)
Murphy, also born there.

Mr. Murphy was educated in the public schools of
Lawrence, and as was the custom of many boys of that
day, he went to work in the textile industry at an early
age, and after nine years or more, resigned from this
occupation to become a clerk in the grocery business.
His ne.\t employment was with the Boston & Maine
Railroad Company, remaining with that company for
almost fourteen years, and at the end of this time he
was appointed assessor, which office he held until 1899,
in which year he was elected chairman of the Board of
Assessors, holding this office to the present time. Mr.
Murphy is a member of the Democratic party, and has
several times been honored with positions of trust and
responsibility; he was a member of the Common Coun-
cil during 1S90 and 1891. He is a member of the Cham-
ber of Commerce, and has taken a very active part in
all matters of a public nature in his home city. Fra-
ternally, Mr. Murphy is a member of the Knights of
Columbus, and is an attendant of St. Patrick's Roman
Catholic Church of Lawrence.

Mr. Murphy married, in 1882, Mary Burchell, of
Ireland, and their children are: Helen T., Edward,
Frances, and Kathleen.



children are : J. Edward, born in 1907 ; Grace, born in
1909; Lucy Ann, born in 191 1 ; and Dorothy J., born
in 1916. Mr. Elliot makes his home in North Andover,
and with his family attends the Center Congregational
Church there.



JOHN ELLIOT, chief engineer and master mechanic
of the Merrimac Paper Company, of Lawrence, Massa-
chusetts, is also among the public-spirited men of his
community who through their influence and support
aid those measures tending towards the general wel-
fare, although taking no active part in public politics.

Mr. Elliot was born December 4, 1881, in Scotland,
son of William Elliot, employed as a watchman at the
David Brown Company, and Agnes (Marshall) Elliot.
When he was four years of age, Mr. Elliot came to the
United States, locating at Lawrence, and there obtained
his education in the public schools. At an early age he
went to work, his first position being with the Pacific
Print Works, in the starch room, and after seven years
with this company he entered the employ of the Stan-
ley Machine Company, and was subsequently employed
in a mechanical way with several firms.

In 1898 he enlisted in the United States army, in
Troop F. Sixth Cavalry, and was sent to Tampa, Flor-
ida. He served for five years, being discharged in
1903, and at this time held the rank of fourth duty
sergeant. After his discharge from the army, Mr. Elliot
attended the Hawley School at Boston for a time and
then entered the employ of the Smith Machine Com-
pany, as a mechanic, and was later employed as assist-
ant engineer with the Arlington Mills, where he re-
mained until 1913.

For the past nine years Mr. Elliot has been chief engi-
neer and master mechanic of the Merrimac Paper Com-
pany, a position carrying great responsibility, which his



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 43 of 56)