Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 45 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 45 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


July 3, 1892, in Hampton Falls. New Hampshire, and
they are the parents of Vernon Durling, born November
29, 1920.



JAMES H. WALKER, chief engineer and master
mechanic of the E. Frank Lewis Company, of Law-
rence. Massachusetts, was born November 5, i860, at
Liverpool, England, son of David Walker, a master
moulder of that place, who died in 1896, and his wife,
Martha (Lowe) Walker, a native of England, who
died in 1903.

James H. Walker attended school until he was thirteen
years of age and then began his career as an engineer.
In 1887 he came to the United States, where he attended



high school and took up a special course in mechanical
engineering at the International Correspondence School.
Thus more fully equipped with the theoretical part of
his work, he obtained a position with the Damon Manu-
facturing Company, at Westville, Massachusetts, and
was there until 1892. In the latter year he accepted a
position with the E. Frank Lewis Company, as chief
engineer and master mechanic holding this office to the
present time (1922), being one of the most valued men
of the organization. During the years he has worked
with this company, there have been many apprentices
to the trade under his supervision, and many of these
men to-day hold responsible positions along these lines
with other firms.

Since making the city of Lawrence his home, Mr.
Walker has been active in the public and fraternal life
of the city and he is a member of several organizations.
He is a member of the Masonic order, and has passed
through the chairs to the Shrine; also is a member of
the Ancient Order of United Workmen; the Knights of
Pythias; and the Sons of St. Cieorge. With his family
Mr. Walker attends St. Augustine's Church, of Law-
rence, and aids in the support of its charities. He is a
prominent citizen of Lawrence, and can always be
depended upon to lend his support to any movement
tending towards the general welfare.

Four years before he came to America, Mr. Walker
married Mary E. Yates, of England, and they were the
parents of thirteen children, four of whom now survive,
and are as follows : William, George, James, and
Mildred.



JOHN J. McLaughlin— Among the citizens of
Lawrence, Massachusetts, engaged in the business of
real estate and insurance, John J. McLaughlin holds a
prominent place. Mr. McLaughlin was born July 26,
1881, in Lawrence, son of James and Catherine Mc-
Laughlin. He attended the public schools of his native
city, and for fifteen years was in the retail tobacco
business. In 1914 he engaged in the real estate and
insurance business, mainly insurance and his business
activities extend outside of Lawrence.

Fraternally, Mr. McLaughlin is a member of the
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Lodge No.
65 ; the Knights of Columbus, Lodge No. 67, a fourth
degree knight; the Fraternal Order of Eagles; and the
Fraternal Order of Foresters, which is a Catholic order.

Mr. McLaughlin married, October 24, igio, Grace C.
Donavan, and she died in 1913, leaving two children:
John and Grace McLaughlin. With his family, Mr.
McLaughlin attends St. Patrick's Roman Catholic
Church.



JOHN GEORGE MULDOON, a native son of
Newburyport, Massachusetts, and a master tinsmith by
trade, has spent more than sixty years in the place.
He was born in Newburyport, on November 9, 1858,
only son of Patrick and Mary Ann (Deagan) Muldoon.
Both of his parents were of Newburyport, and his father
was a captain of a sea-going vessel. However, he was
a worthy patriot, and during the Civil War was in the
national service, meeting his death at the battle of Bull
Run. John G. Muldoon was then, of course, very
young, but his mother was able to care for him sue-



460



ESSEX COUNTY



cessfully through his boyhood, which was spent in his
home town. He attended the public schools of New-
buryport, and after leaving school, went to work for
John Sumner. His steadiness of character, and his
loyalty and industriousness, are indicated by his long
service to his first employer, with whom he remained
connected for twenty-three years, after which he served
various concerns for short periods before finally, in
1912, establishing the firm of J. G. Muldoon & Son and
himself entering into the tinsmithing business in his
native place. His advancement in business has been
very satisfactory, for it is stated that he has by far the
largest business in that line in the Newburyport vici-
nity. His business place is on Merrimac street, and he
enters into all phases of the tinsmithing and sheet metal
line.

Mr. Muldoon is of course widely known in the neigh-
borhood, and he is much respected, being classed as one
of the more progressive business men of the district,
and one who is always ready and willing to assist in
the carrying through of any project that promises good
for the community. It does not in any way detract
from the value of his helpful interest in the affairs of
the community to state that Mr. Muldoon's first interest
is his home; that is as it should be. He is essentially a
home-loving man, and a better citizen therefor. His
mother died in i8<)8.

Mr. Muldoon married, in 1900, Clara Dow, of Salis-
bury, Massachusetts, daughter of Joseph and Laura
(French) Dow, the former a farmer of that place, and
deceased since 1917. Mr. and Mrs. Muldoon have two
children: Joseph Putnam, and Laura French Muldoon.



THE JAMES F. FENNELLY COMPANY was

founded in igig, in Haverhill, Massachusetts, for the
manufacture of shoe laces and other shoe novelties, and
has tlie unique distinction of being the only company
of its kind in the city managed by a girl. It was started
by Agnes F. Fennelly and has since continued under
her management. She was born in Haverhill, daughter
of James and Catherine (McFadden) Fennelly. Her
father was a great oarsman and engaged in the shoe
and leather business with his father, until his death in
1914. A brother of Miss Fennelly, James F. Fennelly,
is somewhat interested in the business. He was bom
October g, 1898, educated at St. James' Parochial
School, and was a professional baseball player for
Haverhill with the New England League, in 1920, but
is now in the leather business.

Miss Fennelly attended St. James' Parochial School,
graduated from high school, and was then employed for
two years by the W. E. Ellis Company as secretary. At
the end of this time she engaged in business on her own
account under the present firm name and has met with
deserved success. Although shoe laces are the main
article manufactured, bows, buckles, beading and other
shoe needs are also made.



REV. JOHN A. NUGENT— For nearly thirty-one
years John A. Nugent, member of the Order of
St. Augustine, has been a devoted member of the
Holy Priesthood of the Roman Catholic Church. La-
boring zealously here and there as the call of duty



directed, his influence for the upbuilding of the church
has been widespread, and for the past three years he
has ministered to the spiritual welfare of St. Augustine's
parisli, in -Xndover, Massachusetts.

Father Nugent is a son of Maurice and Mary (Mori-
arty) Nugent, both his parents having been born in
County Kerry, Ireland. Maurice Nugent came to this
country as a young lad, and locating in Lawrence, Mas-
sachusetts, 'became, through industry and thrift, a pros-
perous citizen.

Born on June i, 1867, the eldest son of devoutly reli-
gious parents. Father Nugent was from infancy conse-
crated to the priesthood. He acquired his early educa-
tion in the parochial, grammar and high schools of
Lawrence, the city of his birth, and then entering Vil-
lanova College in September, 1883, was graduated from
that institution in June, 1S86. On July 5 of that year,
he was received into the novitiate of the Augustinian
Order, and made his simple vows on July 6, 1887, three
years later making his solemn profession. When his
theological studies were completed, he was admitted
to sacred orders, and was ordained to the priesthood by
Archbishop Ryan, on September 12, 1890.

Father Nugent's first appointment was to St. Nicho-
las' Church, at Atlantic City, New Jersey, where he
served as assistant to Father Fedigan for a period of
four years. Transferred to Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania,
in November, 1894, he was again transferred to St.
Denis' Church, at Ardmore, Pennsylvania, where he
continued for two years as assistant to Father McEvoy.
In 1S96, taking the lead of the mission band with Father
Geraghty, he gave missions in all the large parishes of
the East, and many in the West, receiving especially
zealous response among the people of Philadelphia and
Chicago. In 1906 Father Nugent was made rector of
St. Denis', at Ardmore, serving for four years. During
his pastorate here he greatly improved the church prop-
erty, beautifying the interior of the church edifice, im-
proving the cemetery grounds, and erecting a com-
modious and handsome parish house. On the eve of his
departure for his next parish, he was able to announce
to the people of St. Denis' that their church property
was free from debt.

Going immediately thereafter to the Church of Our
Mother of Good Counsel, at Bryn Mawr, Pennsyl-
vania, Father Nugent's first work was the erection of
a handsome and substantial school building, at a cost
of $60,000, to replace the unsightly and inadequate
wooden building he found in use. This was a labor of
two years, but it will stand for generations. Upon its
completion he began e.xtensive interior changes, thor-
oughly renovating and redecorating the edifice, and
installing new altar and altar rail of exquisite Italian
marble. Then he built a large new convent, of the
most modern type of construction, and completely fur-
nished it. Thus upon his leaving Bryn Mawr for his
present parish, the church property was richer by far
than when he first took charge.

During his stay at Bryn Mawr Father Nugent's
twenty-fifth anniversary of his ordination to the priest-
hood occurred, and it was observed by the people of his
church with appropriate jubilee ceremonies. At the
jubilee Mass, .-Krchbishap Prendegast, several bishops





-o



'^' -^^^t-^-^uC^^



BIOGRAFHICAL



461



and many priests, in all numbering fifty-six, were guests
of the church and participated in the ceremonies.

W'licn Father Nugent left Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania,
in June, igi8, to assume charge of St. Augustine's, An-
dover, he left a printed statement in which he pointed
out that all the buildings erected by him, as well as all
church improvements, were free from all debt and
that he was leaving $3,000 as a school endowment fund.

In June. 191S, Father Nugent came to Andover, as
pastor of St. Augustine's parish, and has since devoted
himself unsparingly to the progress of the church and
of the community. Before the end of the year he had
completed the parochial school which was in process of
erection, and sessions were begun in September. In all
the work of the church and its advancement, whether
material or spiritual. Father Nugent is the apostle of
progress, always looking forward to the ultimate good,
and carrying the people with him in his efforts to attain
it. The organizations of the church are growing under
his care, and during the present year the Church of
St. Augustine, Andover, was entirely renovated at a
cost of over $5,000, ranking now as one of the most
ornate and beautiful in Essex county. The people of the
church have learned to love and revere hira. Indeed, it
would be difficult to find a better expression of the
affection with which the people of Andover regard
Father Nugent, than the verses composed by Rev.
George C. Egan. a fellow member of the Order of St.
.Augustine, for the occasion of his jubilee celebration, in
Bryn Mawr, September 12, 1915.

TO REV. JOHN A. NUGENT, O. S. A.

Thy f\ve and twenty years are crowned to-day

In silvered mem'ries of thy works, well wrought:

And time doth pause to greet thee, and to pay

The tribute which these years have justly brought.

Words, worldly praises -would be writ in vain,
Thy labors and thy worth to Him are known:

God's power and truth shall manifest each grain.
Which in thy zeal for Him, thou hast well sown.

Yet. Priest of God. whose years are silver-crowned.
Our heart's best wishes shall to-day be thine;

And while on every hand thy .1oys abound.

Our prayers for thee shall with them intertwine.

"Ambassador of Christ," may many years
Of fruitful labors still be spared to thee:

And may thy joys be never hushed by tears.
And may thy zeal for Christ e'er constant be.

May all. whose grief thy words did oft allay.

Thy name in earnest prayer oft'times infold;
And may the silver joys of this bright day

In after years be thine — all changed to gold.



GEORGE ZACCHEUS COLLINS— The name of
Collins has long licen a jirominent one in the leather
industry, it being connected with the manufacture of
leather board, the late George Zaccheus Collins being
the head of this industry for many years.

Mr. Collins was born in Salem. Massachusetts, April
23, 18.U. and died March 29. 1903, the son of Enoch
and Lucretia (Johnson) Collins, the former born in
Lynn, August 7, 1S02. His great-great-great-great-
great-grandfather came t.. this country in 1635, and set-
tled in Lynn, being a starch maker by occupation.

.•\ftcr receiving a practical education. George Z. Col-
lins became interested in the leather industry, and soon
saw the commercial possibilities in leather board, then



a comparatively new idea. He began its manufacture,
and rapidly built up an extensive business, and in addi-
tion to his first factory in Lynn, founded others in Ash-
land, New Hampshire, and in Tilton, with an office in
Boston, Massachusetts.

George Z. Collins married, June 14, 1855, Harriet A.
Goodridge, who was born in Lynn, February 23, 1832.
They were the parents of five children, only two of
whom lived to grow up, namely: i. Alice Newhall Col-
lins, who married Frank H. Wilson, they the parents
of two children: Helen C, and Ruth N. Wilson.
Helen C. Wilson married E. L. Tiffany, and they are
the parents of George Collins Tiffany. 2. Frederick
Johnson Collins, who married Ellen Nettie Burgess,
they the parents of two children: Elizabeth and .Alice
Collins. The latter married A. S. Dennison. they the
parents of two children: Barl ara and Frederick Col-
lins Dennison.

The Collins family have always been members of the
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Lynn. In fact,
Mrs. Collins was a descendant of one of the first organ-
i:^crs of this church. foi:nded in 1791 by Jesse Lee. This
ancestor was Micajah Newhall, her great-grandfather,
who fought in the battle of Lexington.



JOSEPH HARVEY COUTURE, senior member
of the undertaking firm of J. H. Couture & Sons Com-
pany, was born July 29, 1870, in Warwick, Canada,
son of Alexander Couture, born in Quebec, Canada, in
October, 1850. The latter was also engaged in the
undertaking business until his death in igi8. He is
survived by his wife, Ardinase Langlois, born in Que-
bec, in 1850.

Joseph Harvey Couture attended the parochial
school in Warwick, Canada, and later attended an eve-
ning school in Lawrence, Massachusetts. His first
employment was with Charles Lee Gadbois, funeral
director, where he remained for twelve years. With a
thorough knowledge of the undertaking business, com-
bined with a natural adaptation for his work, Mr.
Couture engaged in business for himself in iSgo, con-
tinuing very successfully until 1919, when he admitted
his two sons as partners, and the firm name was changed
to its present form, J. H. Couture & Sons.

Mr. Couture is a member of the Lawrence Chamber
of Commerce, and in politics is a Democrat. Fra-
ternally he is a member of the Benevolent and Protec-
tive Order of Elks; the Loyal Order of Moose; the
Knights of Columbus: St. Jean Baptiste La Societe of
America, and all the French societies; and of the Law-
rence Catholic Order of Foresters of America.

In 1895 Mr. Couture married (first) Omerine St.
Louis, born in Quebec, and she died in 1905. .She was
the mother of the following children: Joseph Harvey
(2), of further mention in this work; Rita, born Feb-
ruary 9, 1898: Alphonse, born October 15, 1S99; Syl-
via, born June 10, 1902; Dolores, born Jtme 8, 1903.
Mr, Couture married (second) Eliza Bedard, born in
Quebec, .August 15, 1885, and they are the parents of a
son, Henry, born October 10, 1907, and a daughter,
Henrietta, born October 7, 1913. Mr. and Mrs. Cou-
ture, with their children, attend St. .Ann's Roman Cath-
olic Church of Lawrence, and aid in its support.



462



ESSEX COUNTY



EDWIN RANLET CREASEY, a member of the
Creasey Company, of Amesbury. Massachusetts, elec-
trical contractors, was born in Kittery, Maine, on June
20, 1896, son of Joseph W. and Bernice A. (Ranlet)
Creasey. His father is a native of Essex county, born
in Newburyport, but he has been a druggist in Ames-
bury for many years. His mother is of the Ranlet fam-
ily of Eden, Maine.

Edwin R. Creasey was educated in the public schools
of Pittsfield, New Hampshire, and after graduating
from the high school, he found employment with the
J. J. Merrill Construction Company, of Newburyport,
where during the following eight years of service he
learned most phases of the electrical construction busi-
ness. He then formed what is now the Creasey Com-
pany, and located in Amesbury, where the company
carries on a splendid business.

Mr. Creasey does not enter actively into politics,
being non-partisan. He follows local affairs more
closely, however, being a member of the Amesbury
Chamber of Commerce. Fraternally he is a Mason, a
member of Warren Lodge, of Amesbury. By reason
of his army service in the World War, he is a mem-
ber of the Amesbury Post of the .American Legion.
During the war, he enlisted in the Syracuse L'niversity
Training Camp of the United States Infantry, on
August 15. 1918. Later he was transferred to the Coast
Artillery Officers' Training School at Boston, but was
not able to complete the course, the armistice, signed
on November 11, 1918, putting an end to much military
preparation. Mr. Creasey was honorably discharged
from the service on December 23, 1918, in the grade of
private. He at once returned home, and soon there-
after, reentered civilian occupations. He is looked upon
as a promising young business man.

Mr. Creasey married, in 1919, Leona May Ladd, of
Amesbury. She was born on September 24, 1900,
daughter of Ernest E. and Hattie B. Ladd. Mr. and
Mrs. Creasey have two children: Edwin Ranlet, Jr.,
born August 17, 1020; and Norma Ladd Creasey, born
March 28, 1922. They are members of the Congrega-
tional church of Amesbury, and Mr. Creasey belongs to
the Amesburv Club.



M. F. QUILL & SON— The Quill family, long resi-
dent in Newburyport, Massachusetts, is represented
to-day among the business men of that city by Michael
F. Quill, and his son, Arthur S., who constitute the firm
of M. F. Quill & Son, ice dealers.

Michael F. Quill was born in Newburyport, Sep-
tember 24, i860, son of Michael and Hannah (Mono-
han) Quill, who were both of Irish birth, but who lived
the greater part of their married life in Newburyport,
where Michael died in 1889 and his widow in 1912.

Michael F. Quill was educated in the Newburyport
public schools, and in due course entered upon the
serious problems of life. His father owned a farm, and
for some years after leaving school Michael F. assisted
his father. As the years passed he acquired a farm
property of his own, and did some teaming. In fact,
he held to those occupations until 191 5, when in part-
nership with his son, Arthur S., he established the firm
of M. F. Quill & Son, ice merchants. Their business



address is at No. 71 Lime street, and they have devel-
oped quite a satisfactory volume of trade.

Mr. Quill married, in i88r, Florence Perkins, of New-
buryport, daughter of Berry and Sarah B. (Smith) Per-
kins, of that place. They have five children: .\nnie F.,
who married a Mr. Collins; Ellen E.; Sadie A., who
married a Mr. Randall; .Arthur S., of whom further;
and Daniel F.

Arthur S. Quill was born in Newburyport on De-
cember 29, 1887. From the elementary school of New-
buryport he passed into the high school, graduating
therefrom in the class of 1907. Then followed a course
at the Salem Commercial College. Entering commer-
cial life, young Mr. Quill found employment in the office
of Libby & Sargent, of Lynn, remaining with them for
two years as cost clerk. For about a year thereafter he
was in Salem, Massachusetts, where he worked for the
Premo Form Shoe Company, after which he returned
to Newburyport and associated with his father, the two
of them developing a teaming and expressing business.
In 1915, as above-mentioned, the firm of M F. Quill
& Son was formed, and they have done a good business
during the last five or six years.

Arthur S. Quill is an energetic business man. but he
does not enter much into public movements. Fra-
ternally he belongs to the Loyal Order of Moose, and is
president of the Neptune Veteran Firemen's .Associa-
tion.



OTTO F. KRESS, the founder of the company
which bears his name. Otto F. Kress & Son, engaged
in the manufacture of fire apparatus and automobile
bodies, was born in Sa.xony, Germany, January 14, 1856,
and was a son of Henry Kress, also a native of Ger-
many, where he was engaged as a hand weaver during
his active years. Mr. Kress was educated in the public
schools of his native land and soon after completing his
formal education, learned the trade his father followed,
continuing for fourteen years until he came to the
United States. In 1871 Mr. Kress became a resident of
Lawrence, and until 1879 worked as a weaver in the
Washington Mills of that city. His next occupation
was as a wood carver, which he followed for almost
five years, and this work led to the business of carriage
building in Lawrence, and after three years there, Mr.
Kress removed to Salem, New Hampshire, where he
engaged in the same line of business on his own account.
After five years Mr. Kress returned to Lawrence and
there formed a partnership with his brother, Herman
Kress, and together they purchased the carriage-build-
ing business of John Graham, at the same time changing:
the firm name to the Kress Brothers Carriage Company.
For seventeen successful years they continued this part-
nership, which was then dissolved, and Otto F. Kress
admitted his son, Edward F., as a partner, and under
the firm name of Otto F. Kress & Son they have con-
tinued in business to the present time.

In 1903 this firm began the manufacture of fire
apparatus and did general repair work on all makes of
such apparatus, and in their line of work they are
among the best known companies in the United States.
A force of thirty-two workmen are employed, each indi-
vidual being specially skilled in some feature of the




P^(j^^L.-i,e^<u>




^. - ^t^Ctyut^^^ /r^y/i^ic^f-^



BIOGRAPHICAL



463



work which forms their task. The company does all
kinds of blacksmithing, body-building, upholstering and
painting, there being nine different trades carried on
under one roof, the plant occupying 37,000 square feet
01 space.

In politics, Mr. Kress is a Republican and .staunchly
interested in the welfare of that party. He is a member
of Phoenician Lodge, Free and .Accepted Masons; Mt.
Sinai Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; and Bethany Com-
mandery. Knights Templar.

Mr. Kress married Lizzie J. Fuller, of Thomaston,
Maine, and their children are; Edward F., associated
with his father, and who receives extended mention
below; and Eva, who married E. P. Merrow, and has
one child. Everett, Jr.



EDWARD F. KRESS was born February 4, 1877,
at Laurence, and there attended school. Soon after this
time he went to work for his father, Otto F. Kress (see
preceding sketch), then engaged in the business of car-
riage building, and until 1903 he continued as an
employee, and in the latter year became a member of
the firm of Otto F. Kress & Son, continuing until the
present time.

Mr. Kress holds independent views in political mat-
ters, casting his vote for the man he believes the best
fitted for the office aspired to. He is a member of
Phoenician Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; the
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; Chamber of
Commerce; and for fifteen years was a member of the
Lawrence Fire Department.

Mr. Kress married, in 1899, Josephine Leahy, born
September 16, 1871, at Boston, Massachusetts, and they
are the parents of two sons and a daughter; Raymond



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 45 of 56)