Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 46 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 46 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


E., born May 4, 1901; Claire J., born February 22, 1903;
and Leroy F., born September i,^, 1906. Mr. Kress
and his family attend the Central Methodist Church of
Lawrence, of which his parents are also members.



J. EVERETT FROST, of what was formerly the

Frost Ice Company, of Newburyport, Massachusetts,
but latterly the Independent Ice Company of that place,
is a native of the city, and is known as an enterprising
business man. He was born on January 6, 1866, son of
James N. and Salome P. (Perkins) Frost. His mother
was of a well known old Newbury family, but his father
was originally of Nova Scotia. He was entirely
orphaned in 1915. His parents had lived in Newbury-
port during the whole of their married life, and were
widely respected. James Everett was their only son.

James Everett Frost was educated in Newburyport
schools, graduating from the high school in the class
of 1880. After leaving school he associated with his
father, who was then in business in Newburyport, as
an ice dealer. The business association of father and
son continued for thirty-five years, until the death of
the father in 1915, when the son became sole owner of
the business, which was then known as the Frost Ice
Company. It continued under that trading name until
1919, when a reorganization took place, and the Frost Ice
Company passed out of existence. The Independent
Ice Company then formed took over the business, in
which Mr. Frost is still interested. The other incor-



porators were Harry Barth and Charles A. Jones, Mr.
Frost holding the official position of treasurer in the
new company, the business headquarters of which are at
No. I Chestnut street, Newburyport.

Mr, Frost gives the greater part of his time to the
affairs of his business, but he has always been interested
in the movements which have sought to bring advance-
ment to his home town, and he is known to be a dis-
cerning man of business. Fraternally he is identified
with the Loyal Order of Moose, and the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks, Lodge No. 909.

Mr, Frost married, in 1896, Mary A. ■ Cashman, of
Newburyport, daughter of Daniel C. Cashman, a mason.
Her mother, Margaret (Shea) Cashman, comes of an
old Essex county family. Mr. and Mrs. Frost have
two children; Evelyn M., born in 1898; and Everett
Norman, born in 1900.



WILLIAM ALLISON KIMBALL was born July
7, 1843, in Bradford, Massachusetts, son of David and
Mehitable M. Kimball, the former a native of Brad-
ford, and the latter of Methuen, Massachusetts. Wil-
liam A. Kimball attended the public schools and Phil-
lips Andover .Academy, then enjai;ed in farming until
1899, when he went to work for the Twombly under-
taking firm, remaining there until 1921, when, having
thoroughly learned the business in detail, he entered
business on his own account in Haverhill.

During his residence in Bradford he took an active
part in public matters, and served as town clerk there
for several years, also as town treasurer and collector
until Bradford became part of the town of Haverhill.
He is a member of the Haverhill Chamber of Com-
merce, and fraternally is affiliated with the Knights of
Pythias and the Knights of Malta.

Mr. Kimball married (first) Marillia M. Clough, of
Atkinson, New Hampshire, and (second) Oreana Wells,
of Haverhill, and they are communicants of the Con-
gregational church of the Bradford district of that city.



JOSEPH DAVIS HOUGHTON, who is widely
known in the shoe and leather industry in Lynn, Massa-
chusetts, and elsewhere, as president of the Houghton
Heel and Leather Company, has been identified with
this line of endeavor throughout his entire career. The
name of Houghton has been familiar to the trade since
1869, when James Houghton, Mr. Houghton's father,
established the original firm of which the present cor-
poration is the outgrowth.

James Houghton, the founder of the business, was
born in Boston, and came to Lynn at an early date. In
1869, in association with William R. Mudge, he engaged
in the leather business on State street, in this city. That
was a time when the shoe industry in Lynn had scarcely
emerged from the experimental stage. The early part-
nership endured, under the firm name of Houghton &
Mudge, until the death of Mr. Mudge, after which a
Mr. Godfrey was received into the business, the firm
name thereby becoming Houghton & Godfrey, and
continuing thus until the death of Mr. Godfrey. Mr.
Houghton has survived both his early associates, and
with the incorporation of the business, which took place
in 1904, he became treasurer of the concern, largely



464



ESSEX COUNTY



turning ever tlie management of its affairs to his son.
He has since, however, kept an active interest in the
business, and is still seen at his desk, practically every
day, notwithstanding the fact that he has reached an age
when many men have been retired for years. He has
always been alert to every advance in the line of activity
in which he has so long been engaged, more than half
a century having passed since his early start. James
Houghton married Maria L. Atkinson, who is now
deceased.

Jo.seph D. Houghton was born in Lynn, Massachu-
setts, November 15, 1S72. He received his education in
the public schools of this city, and in his early youth
became interested in the business of which his father
was the head. Beginning at the bottom, he worked
through all the departments, familiarizing himself with
every detail of the business. Witli the incorporation
in 1904 he was made president of the company, and has
since gone forward in that capacity, carrying to ever-
increasing success the business in which he has spent
his active life. Under his management the output of
the factory has gradually expanded, until now they are
doing a very considerable business. They produce heels,
shoe findings, etc., for the trade throughout the city
of Lynn and the New England district, shipping also
to the shoe centers of the West. They have a well-
equipped plant at No. 520 Washington street, Lynn,
and employ about sixty people.

Mr. Houghton is a member of the Oxford Club, of
Lynn, also of the Lynn Lodge, Benevolent and Protec-
tive Order of Elks. He is single, and resides with his
father at No. 3.3 Breed street, Lynn, both attending the
Linitarian church.



GEORGE H. AVER— H a lad is sufficiently ambi-
tious and eager to get ahead it is an advantage to be
born in a manufacturing town. George H. Ayer. with-
out neglecting either grammar or high school, learned
that part of the shoe industry in which he set himself
up as an independent manufacturer immediately upon
graduation.

Auson Burlingame Ayer, father of George H. Ayer,
was born July 2, 1862, at Hampstead, New Hampshire,
and is the well known bo.x maker of Haverhill, Massa-
chusetts. His wife. Fannie Elizabeth (Dias) Ayer, was
born June 17, 1865, in Haverhill.

George H. Ayer was born February 23. i?88. He
studied in the public and high schools, graduating from
Haverhill high school with the class of igo6. Mean-
while, he had acquired, during his school days, enough
education in the shoe trade to start out for himself right
after finishing school. His first venture was spent at
the trade of making the minor parts of shoes, such as
tongues, etc. His place of business was right in the
heart of the shoe district, at No. 100 Phoenix Row.
Success in that line fitted him for further advance, and
in igi8 he formed, with S. B. Marshall and T. A.
Coparan, both Haverhill men, the Haverhill Shoe Com-
pany, serving as its treasurer. This firm is an impor-
tant maker of ladies' slippers and infants' and children's
shoes, and have agents in Boston and New York City.
They occupy three floors of space at No. 100 Phoenix
Row, and have about forty employees.



Mr. .■\yer finds time along with his business activities
to be interested in other matters. He is a Republican in
politics, and is a wide-awake member of the Chamber
of Commerce of Haverhill; he also is a member of the
.Agawam Club, and shows a country life interest in
having joined the Haverhill Grange.

Mr. .Ayer married, in 1907, Mariona Achenbach, of
Haverhill, Massachusetts. She is a native of Williams-
port, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Willard W. and
Catherine (Seckler) Achenbach, of that city. Mr.
.•\chcnbach is a lawyer of note, at one time attorney for
his county. Of this marriage two children were born:
Robert W., born June 27. 190S; and Kathryn Harriet,
born July 2, 1910.



FREDERICK R. BARKER was born in St. John,
New Brunswick, Canada, .April 15, 1890, the son of
George M. Barker, a merchant of that place, and Mary
(Rutherford) Barker, born in the same place.

Frederick R. Barker began his education in the city
schools. He further prepared at Exeter, Massachusetts,
whence he was graduated, class of 1909, going thence
to the Massachusetts Institute cjf Technology, there
receiving his degree with the graduating class of 1913.
Witli this equipment he entered the business world,
locating in Salem, Massachusetts, where in ici6 he
organized the Associated Tanners' Machinery Com-
pany, a corporation manufacturing machinery used by
tanners. The company continued along the original
lines as planned by F. R. Barker until igi8. when the
plant was turned over to the manufacture of war ma-
terial, in the form of battleship and airplane engine
parts. The plant was run on government work until
the signing of the armistice, it then being closed. Set-
tlements for work done could not be immediately
effected and the company has not since resumed business.

Mr. Barker is a member of the Salem Chamber of
Commerce; Grace Episcopal Church; the ^.ngineers'
Club, of Boston; Boston Historical Society; and Theta
Chi fraternity.

Mr. Barker married, in May, 1920, Mathilda Randel,
of Rosendale, Massachusetts.



LEWIS H. ORDWAY— For upwards of three dec-
ades, being identified with one of the foremost concerns
manufacturing ornaments of various kinds for the shoe
trade, Mr. Ordway is numbered among the successful
executives of Esse.x county. A native of this county,
he is a son of Hazen Elliott and Caroline P. (Smith)
Ordway, for many years residents of Haverhill. The
father is now deceased, but the mother is still living, at
the age of eighty-two years.

Lewis H. Ordway was born in Haverhill, Massachu-
setts, January 7, 1876. His early education was ac-
quired at the public schools of his native place, and
choosing a career in the industrial, rather than the pro-
fessional world, the young man prepared for the future
in a business college. At the age of seventeen years
he became identified with the widely-known firm of J. A.
Dalrymple & Company. Beginning in a subordinate
position, he familiarized himself with the business from
every angle, and rose to a position of executive respon-
sibility. He has steadily risen, continuing with the same



BIOGRAPHICAL



465



concern, and has now (1922) been associated with them
for twenty-nine years. The firm of J. A. Dalrymple &
Company was established in 1S89, and in 1918 was incor-
porated, thereby becoming the Dalrymple-Pulsifer Com-
pany, the personnel of the concern now being as follows:
J. A. Dalrymple, president and treasurer; G. Herman
Pulsifer, vice-president; and Lewis H. Ordway, secre-
tary. The concern manufactures and sells to both the
domestic and foreign trade, shoe bows and ornaments of
many kinds, ribbons for this class of manufacture, and
galloon bead work. The main offices and plant are at
No. 88 Washington street, Haverhill, and they also
have offices at No. 59 Lincoln street, Boston. They
handle a very extensive trade, and are counted among
the foremost of the many companies allied with the
shoe trade. Mr. Ordway has few interests outside of
his business affiliations, but for twenty years has been
a member of Saggahew Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons.

Mr. Ordway married, in Wakefield, Rhode Island,
Victorine Doucet, who died in 1917, leaving four sons:
Donald, Robert, Hazen, and Victor.



J. NORMAN ANDERSON— Thomas Carlyle called
man "a tool-using animal," meaning, no doubt, that
man is different from other animals in his ability to use
tools and machinery to multiply the efficiency of his
labor. Many beasts are larger, stronger, swifter than
any individual of the human race, and yet they have to
struggle for a mere existence because they can use no
power save the one with which they were born. Even
primitive man, with all his work, can gain little more
than food and shelter. Civilization has been brought to
its present height principally by man's multiplication
of his powers by the use of machines. To-day the
endeavor is to go a step farther and make the forces
we have harnessed guide and control themselves auto-
matically.

One of the men who has had much to do with the
making and improving of such automatic devices as
will regulate and control the energies of steam, water
and air is J. Norman .■\nderson. Rising from the bot-
tom to a mastership of his own line, he now is. with
associates, manufacturing and selling, throughout the
world, regulators that are needed by all large power
plants.

John Norman Anderson was born in Bristol, Rhode
Island, July 24. 1882. His father, James Anderson, and
mother, Barbara .\melia (Stratton) Anderson, are both
of Scottish extraction, the one coming from Glasgow,
the other from Perth. The father was engaged in the
shoe business in Bristol at the time of the birth of his
son.

Mr. Anderson went to the common schools of the
town, and was graduated from Bristol High School in
1900. He then entered the employ of Brown & Sharpe,
Providence, Rhode Island, from whom he received a
diploma as master mechanic.

Coming to Lawrence, Massachusetts, Mr. Anderson
secured a place with the L'nited States Bobbin and
Shuttle Company, where he remained for thirteen years.
During that time, by reason of his natural ability and
persistent application, he rose to be their head designer

Essex — 2 — 30



of punches and dies, a position of great responsibility,
requiring unusual skill and brain.

Meanwhile, Mr. Anderson had been looking with
longing eyes upon a business for which he was par-
ticularly fitted, and with B. and Herbert W. Home
as partners, bought the Watts Regulator Com-
pany, with all its rights, building, patents, etc. The
enterprise was an old-established one, being started
by James E. Watts in 1854. Mr. Watts, a native
of Lawrence, was the inventor of the steam regulator.
In 1874 additional men and capital came in with the
inventor and formed the Watts Regulator Company,
manufacturers of steam, water and air regulators, and
other power plant utilities. About 1892 Robert F.
Pickles, another Lawrence man, secured the plant and
retained control until he sold out to J. N. .Anderson and
his partners. Under new management the establishment
at No. 252 Lowell street has taken on new life. From
a trade of a few thousand dollars has been built a busi-
ness of a quarter of a million. They have agents
throughout this country, besides doing a large export
trade. The production during 1921 was taken over by
the Walworth Manufacturing Company, of Boston. Mr.
Anderson has now taken over the sole ownership of the
Textile Shield Company, which has moved into its
new factory at No. i Grotoii street. South Lawrence.
This concern will stamp and draw metal in every form.

Mr. Anderson also is a partner in the George W.
Homer Company, of Lawrence, and organized the
Testite Shield Company, a one hundred thousand dollar
concern, also of Lawrence. During the World War,
placing his resources at the call of the government, he
was at it's wish, an active maker of parts for munitions.
He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce; in poli-
tics a Republican, but too busy to dabble much in same.
He is a member of a number of societies and clubs,
among their number being: The Commercial Engi-
neers' Society; the Commercial Travelers' Association;
the Merrimack Country Club, the LTniversalist Club,
and Lodge 179, Knights of Pythias. He is vice-presi-
dent of the Home Club; is worshipful master of Tuscan
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Mt. Sinai Chapter,
Royal Arch Masons; Lawrence Council, Royal and
Select Masters; Bethany Commandery, Knights Tem-
plar; and Aleppo Temple, of the Mystic Shrine. He
and his family are members of the Universalist church.

Mr. Anderson married, July 27, 1914. Dorothy L.
Gee. daughter of Edwin and Alice (Halliday) Gee,
both of English birth. Mr. Gee was for more than
twenty-five years engraver for the Pacific Mills at Law-
rence, Massachusetts, and is at the present time (1921),
expert die sinker with the United States Machinery
Corporation of Beverly, Massachusetts. To Mr. and
Mrs. Anderson one daughter has been born, Shirley
Norma, born March 4, 191 7.



HARRY S. TETLER— A native of Lawrence,
Massachusetts, Harry S. Tetler now holds the position
of master mechanic with one of the large industries of
that city, the Prospect Mills. Mr. Tetler was born Oc-
tober 15, 1882, son of James H. Tetler, of Lawrence,
and Fannie (Smith) Tetler. The former died in 1920,
having survived his wife eight years.



466



ESSEX COUNTY



Mr. Teller was educated in the iniblic schools of
Lawrence, and at an early age began to make his own
way in the world, his first position being with Samuel
Smith, where he remained for sixteen years. He was
then employed for two years by the Arlington Mills
Company, and from that time until 191 9 was employed
by the American Engineering Company in Philadel-
phia. In this latter year he returned to Lawrence, and
there received a position as master mechanic with the
Prospect Mills, which he holds at the present time. Mr.
Tetler is a man skilled in his line of work, and his many
years of experience make his services still more valu-
able.

In 1904. Mr. Tetler married Etta Marshman. of Law-
rence, and they are the parents of the following children:
Norman, born in 1905; George W.. born in 1907; Frank
S., born in 191 1; and Samuel E., born in 1913.

Mr. Tetler is a member Blue Lodge of Masons, of
Reading. He is devoted to his family, and to their
interests, and is an attendant of the Baptist church.



FRED MARSDEN — One of the energetic young busi-
ness men of Lawrence, Massachusetts, who has achieved
success, is Fred Marsden, office manager and paymas-
ter of the Katama Mills Company of that city, who
was born in England, August .^o, 1890, son of John R.
Marsden, a native of Maynard, Massachusetts, who died
in 1916. He is survived by his wife, Sarah Eastwood,
also a native of Maynard, Massachusetts, where she now
resides.

The early education of Mr. Marsden was obtained in
English schools, and it was completed in the schools of
Massachusetts. He then attended the Lowell Textile
School, and graduated from the La Salle L-niversity.
Thus equipped, he entered the world of business in the
pattern and weaving departments of the United States
Worsted Company, continuing there until 1918, in
which year he entered the employ of the Katama Mills
Company as office manager and paymaster, both very
responsible positions, acquiring, not only executive abil-
ity, but progressiveness, and the art of successfully
managing a large force of employees to promote har-
mony and satisfaction. In this work Mr. Marsden has
been very successful; he has worked hard to bring about
results, and is very deserving of his place among the
worth-while citizens of Lawrence.

He married, in 1913, Marion E. Henderson, daugh-
ter of Robert Henderson, of Lawrence, and they are
the parents of two daughters: Mildred Elsie, born in
1915 ; and Barbara Janet, born in 191S.

Fraternally. Mr. Marsden is a member of the Ma-
sons, and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
He attends the Methodist church.



JAMES SHELDON— .A. man of skilled mechanical
ability and ingenuity is James Sheldon, master mechanic
of the Katama Mills, who holds a position, which in
itself is one of the very important and responsible posi-
tions connected with the carrying on of the mill indus-
try.

Mr. Sheldon was born at Derbyshire, England, De-
cember 9, 1884, son of James Sheldon, Sr., long engaged
in the monumental works, until his death in 191.3. His
mother was Henrietta Robinson, of England, who sur-



vives her husband. They were the parents of ten
cliildren. seven sons and three daughters, James being
the fifth oldest.

His education was obtained in the schools of Eng-
land, and in 1907 he came to the United States, his first
employment there being with the Brown & Sharpe Man-
ufacturing Company, of Providence, Rhode Island,
where he remained for two years, removing at the
end of that time to Whitingsville, Massachusetts,
where he found employment in the mills of that name;
thence he went to Lynn, Massachusetts, and was em-
ployed in the mechanical department of the Lynnwood
Mills for five years. After a year as master mechanic
with another mill in Wilkinsonville. Mr. Sheldon be-
came master mechanic of the Katama Mills, of Law-
rence, which position he now holds. He is one of the
foremost men in his line, and is widely known for his
skill in mechanics.

In 191 1 he married Lavina Wilde, of England, and
they are the parents of three children: Jennie, born in
1912; James, born in 1913: Charles Irving, born in igi8.
The family attend the Methodist church of Lawrence,
and Mr. Sheldon's fraternal connections are with the
Masonic order.



RALPH W. CATHCART— The modern chain
store method of doing business has one of its best ex-
ponents in Ralph W. Cathcart. Knowing the furniture
business in all its phases, and being wide awake and
progressive, Mr. Cathcart was quick to see the advan-
tage of selling in this multiplied way. He is aflSliated
with the Brockton Atherton Furniture Company, which
opened its twenty-second store on March i, 1922.

Son of Barnard B. and Sadie Elizabeth (Brown)
Cathcart, Ralph W. Cathcart was born July IH, 1890, at
Whitman, Massachusetts. He studied in the public
schools of his native place until reaching the age of
fourteen, when he started to learn the furniture busi-
ness at Brockton, Massachusetts, with the Atherton
Furniture Company. His first job was that of errand
boy. but rose rapidly through the various branches of
the business until he became a junior partner and man-
ager. This company was founded thirty years ago as
the People's House Furnishing Company, of Haver-
hill, Massachusetts, and was reorganized and given the
present name in 1920. Their business extends over a
large part of New England, having in 1922 no fewer
than twenty-two stores. Mr. Cathcart has been man-
ager and treasurer of the Haverhill store since July,
1918. In the Chamber of Commerce of Haverhill he
is on the committee for retail trade.

Mr. Cathcart has had five years of military service
in the Tenth Coast Artillery, of which he was a lance
corporal. Fraternally he is a Mason, a member of Paul
Revere Lodge, of Brockton, Massachusetts: also a
member of Haverhill Lodge, No. 73, Knights of
Pythias; and the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, Lodge No. 165, of Haverhill. His clubs are the
Rotary and Agawam, of Haverhill. His religious affil-
iation is with the Methodist Episcopal church.

Mr. Cathcart married, at Brockton, Massachusetts,
July 20, 191 1. Ethel Stevenson, daughter of Isaac and
Sarah J. (Wilson) Stevenson. They have one child,
Ruth Eleanor, born April 26, 1915.




L





BIOGRAPHICAL



467



JOSEPH A. ROY— Coming to Ncwburyport, Mas-
sachusetts, in 1906, Joseph A. Roy, an expert on auto
forging, machine repairs, and general blacksmithing,
has since that time been in business for himself on
Mechanics Court, and has given every satisfaction. He,
therefore, has been able to build up a worthwhile busi-
ness.

Mr. Roy was born in the Province of Quebec, Can-
ada, on September 10, 1884, son of Razeine and Car-
melite (Burrill) Roy. His mother is still living, but
his father died in 1900. He was a farmer, and to some
extent a fisherman.

Joseph A, Roy is the seventh-born of the twelve chil-
dren of his parents, there being eight sons and three
daughters. He was educated in Canadi.in schools, and
came into the United States soon after the death of his
father. He was then eighteen years old, and for three
years worked as a wheelwright for his brother, E. B.
Roy, who had a business in Newburyport. For a year
thereafter he worked for another brother, J. D. Roy,
in Amesbury, Massachusetts, but in 1906 he came to
Newburyport, and ventured into business for himself



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 46 of 56)