Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 47 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 47 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


on Mechanics Court, where his shop and smithy has
been ever since. With the evolution of vehicles he has
had more and more auto forging to do. and it now con-
stitutes a large part of his business. He is an energetic,
steady man. esteemed by those who know him well.

Mr. Roy is a member of two fraternal orders, the
Loyal Order of Moose, and St. Jean de Baptiste. He
also belongs to the Lafayette Club, to which so many
Massachusetts people of French and French-Canadian
origin belong.

Mr. Roy married, in 1906, Mary Conture, daughter
of Joseph Conture, of Quebec, Canada. They have one
child, a son, Antonio, who was born in 1907.



JOSEPH A. DUNCAN, of North Andover, Massa-
chusetts, long a resident of the town, holds a responsible
position in the public service. He was born in Dundee,
Scotland, in 1878, and came to this country with his
family as a boy of eight years, his father spending the
remainder of his life in this vicinity.

Educated in the public schools. Mr. Duncan became
interested in the practical side of business life, and for
twenty years has been in the office of the town water
department. In 1909 he was elected town clerk, and
still holds this office, also has charge of the town water
work's office. Mr. Duncan was elected to his present
office by reason of his business experience and ability,
as he was never active in politics.

Mr. Duncan is a member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, the Improved Order of Red Men, and
of the Lawrence Clan, a Scottish organization of Law-
rence, Massachusetts.



JOHN JOSEPH BREEN— One of the oldest un-
dertaking establishments in Lawrence. Massachusetts,
is the John J. Breen Funeral Parlors, established there
originally by A. W. Goodrich, and subsequently owned
by John Breen, who in turn gave the management of
the business to his son, John Joseph Breen. The latter
was born in Lawrence, October 24, 1876, son of John
and Nancy Jane (Brackett) Breen.



John Breen was born June 20, 1842, in Tipperary,
Ireland, son of Patrick and Margaret (Heffernan)
Breen, and in 1847, when five years of age, came to the
United States, and six years later to Lawrence, Mas-
sachusetts, and there he began his education, which he
completed at St. Charles College, in Maryland, and fur-
ther perfected his business knowledge with a course at
Comer's Commercial College at Boston. In 1867 Mr.
Breen was selected to go to Ireland on a special mis-
sion to secure the release of a citizen, Daniel Donovan,
of Lawrence, and experienced many stirring adventures.
In 1868 he returned to America, and entered the under-
taking business now located in Lawrence, under the
name of John Breen, undertaker. When Mr. Goodrich
withdrew from the business, it was taken over by Mr.
Breen, who managed it very successfully until 19x7,
when failing health necessitated the passing of the man-
agement to his son, John J. Breen.

The elder Mr. Breen was an inspector of rifle prac-
tice of the 9th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Mili-
tia, with rank of first lieutenant, also captain of Quar-
termaster Corps, was one of the foremost citizens of
Lawrence in his day, and served in many public posi-
tions. His first public service was as a member of the
Common Council that straightened the Spicket river, and
he was elected mayor of Lawrence, in 1882, continuing
until 1884, being the first foreign-born Roman Catholic
to hold the office of mayor in any new England city,
was also vice-president of the Irish National League,
and chairman of the water works for a quarter of a
century. He was also a member of the school board
for many years, and Breen School was named in his
honor; was assistant chief of the fire department and
took an active interest in all matters of public interest
until his death, which occurred July 16. 1917.

Mr. Breen married Nancy Jane Brackett, a native of
Danville, New Hampshire, and they were the parents
of three children: Charles Francis; John J., of further

mention; Helena C, wife of Aiken, of New

Hampshire.

John J. Breen attended the public schools of Law-
rence, and was a member of the class of 1900 at Exeter
Academy. Soon after leaving school he became asso-
ciated with his father in the undertaking business, and
when the latter's health failed, assumed full control of
the business. Mr. Breen is also the owner of a riding
school at Methuen. Massachusetts, where large classes
are held twice a week. He is very active in all matters
of public interest in Lawrence, a trait inherited no doubt
from his father, and no appeal for aid is ever turned
away. In 1914 Mr. Breen was president of the Board
of Aldermen, and now holds the office of justice of the
peace. Fraternally he is a member of the Knights of
Columbus; the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks; the Eagles; Owls; and the Grattan Guards &
Beavers.

He married, in 1909, Gertrude C. Meskill, and they
are the parents of six children: Nancy; John; Charles;
Gertrude; Margaret; and Daniel.



EDGAR L. WILLIAMS, who is prominent in the
business world of Lynn, Massachusetts, is also widely
interested in various branches of effort, both in the way



468



ESSEX COUNTY



of individual enterprise and public endeavor. Mr. Wil-
liams was born in Lynn in 1879, and is a son of John and
Jane (Carter) Williams, long residents of this city.
The elder Mr. Williams was a man of public spirit, and
served with honor during the Civil War.

Receiving a practical education in the public schools
of his native city, Mr. Williams, as a young man, entered
the world of industry, and for many years has been con-
nected with the General Electric Company in their
Lynn plant, as inspector. His activities, however, are
not confined to the duties of this position. Possessing a
voice of unusual compass and quality, he devotes his
leisure to teaching vocal culttire, and is also choirmaster
in his church. He is deeply interested in educational
work of all kinds, particularly among boys.

Mr. Williams married Jessie Green, daughter of Peter
and Agnes (Gordon) Green; they are members of the
Episcopal church.



CHARLES H. DRIVER— Beginning life in the
mills, and by his own energy striking out for himself
along a different line of endeavor, with successful out-
come, Charles H. Driver, of North Andover, Massa-
chusetts, has for the past twenty-one years conducted a
prosperous printing business.

Mr. Driver was born in England, on October 20,
1875, and is a son of James and Esther Driver. The
elder Mr. Driver is wool buyer for the M. T. Stevens &
Sons Company.

Coming to the United States with his parents at the
age of six years, Mr. Driver was educated in the
schools of Lowell, Massachusetts, where the family
located, and in North Andover. where they removed in
1890. Mr. Driver began life in the industrial world in
the employ of the M. T. Stevens & Sons Company,
where he remained for about ten years. During the
time that he was thus employed he rose from a subordi-
nate position to overseer in the wool sorting depart-
ment.

In 1900 Mr. Driver made a definite change in the
plans for his future, founding the printing business
which he has since developed to a large and prosperous
interest. He is still actively engaged in this business,
doing general job printing, largely commercial work.

Mr. Driver is a member of Cochichewick Lodge,
Free and Accepted Masons, also of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows. He is a prominent member of
the Essex County Printers' Board of Trade.

On June 17, 1902, Mr. Driver married Marguerite
Ryan, of North .Andover, daughter of John and Mar-
guerite Ryan. Mr. and Mrs. Driver have six children:
John S., Evelyn E., Charles R., James H., Joseph T.,
and Marguerite V.



RALPH SIDNEY WILDER, assi.stant superin-
tendent of the L'nited States Worsted Company, of Law-
rence, Massachusetts, was born August 26, 1887, in .San-
bornville, New Hampshire, son of George Wilder, a
native of Conway, New Hampshire, and for many years
employed on the Boston & Maine railroad. He died in
1890, and his wife, Carrie (Yeaton) Wilder, survives
him.

The public schools of Sanbornville afforded Ralph S.



Wilder his early education, and his first position was
with the Faulkner Mills, of Billerica, where he remained
for two years, then entered the employ of the New
England Telephone Company. After four years in
the service of this company, Mr. Wilder removed to
Lowell, where he was employed by the LTnitcd States
Worsted Company: in 1912 he came to Lawrence, in
the services of the same company, and was in charge
of the cost department in 1916, Three years later he
was promoted to the position of assistant superintendent,
and has since continued to ably discharge the duties of
this office.

During the World War Mr. Wilder offered his serv-
ices to the United States army, being a member of the
301st Engineers, serving from April, 1918, to July, 1919,
and at the time of his discharge held the rank of first-
class private. He participated in the following battles
of note: St. Mihiel and Toul Sector. In politics Mr.
Wilder is a Republican, and has the interest natural
to every good citizen in the welfare of his city and
.State. He is a member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows; the Masonic order, being a thirty-second
degree Mason; and is also a member of several other
fraternal organizations.

Mr. Wilder is unmarried and makes his home in
Lawrence, where he is a member of the First Church
of Christ (Scientist).



FREDERICK C. PLUMMER, superintendent of the
Emerson Manufacturing Company, of Lawrence, Mas-
sachusetts, was born in that city, February 5, 18(17, son
of Willis Henry Plummer, a native of New Hamp-
shire, and for many years employed by the Boston &
Maine Railroad Company, as baggagemaster, at Law-
rence, now retired. Mr. Plummer's mother, Eunice E.
Churchill, was born at Newmarket, New Hampshire,
but is now residing in Lawrence.

Mr. Plummer attended the public and high schools of
Lawrence, and then entered the employ of the Boston
& Maine railroad, as assistant yardmaster at Lawrence,
remaining there for ten years, then entered the etnploy
of the Emerson Manufacturing Company, as an appren-
tice, and by diligent work and ambitious effort has
worked himself upward to the position he now holds,
being appointed to the superintendency in 1900.

Mr. Plummer is a member of the Republican party,
and of the Chad wick Club; fraternally he is a member
of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and the
Knights of Malta.

In 1892 Mr. Plummer married Blanche Agnew, born
at Rockbottom, Massachusetts. Their son. Elliot Bar-
ton, born February 8, 1893, died January 14, 1919. Mr.
and Mrs. Plummer attend the Universalist church at
Lawrence, Massachusetts.



ARTHUR W. GEORGE, one of the mill superin-
tendents of the Wood Mill Company, of Lawrence,
Massachusetts, is one of the young men of that city who
have achieved success at an early age. Mr. George also
has a very creditable military record; he enlisted in the
126th Infantry, L'nited States army, in October, 1918,
and took part in several of the leading battles of the
World War, namely: The Argonne and the Meuse. He






^'




%.LjMZtJt k'jOi(^



BIOGRAPHICAL



469



was discharged in June, 1919, with the commission of
captain.

Mr. George was born at Westwood, Massachusetts,
.'\ugust 8, 1892, and obtained his education in the public
schools of Dedham, Massachusetts, and the high school.
Soon after leaving school he entered the extile business
as an employe 01 the Wood Mill Company, and spent
three years in learning various phases of the business.
Subsequently, he went to Providence, Rhode Island,
where he worked in the Riverside Mills, gaining more
valuable experience, and adding to his knowledge of
mill business. He was located in Boston, as a sales-
man for this same company, and later for the .'\merican
Woolen Company, remaining with the latter for three
years. It was at this time that the United States entered
the World War, and with true patriotic spirit, which
characterized every real .American young man, Mr.
George enlisted and served through the war.

.•\fter the country returned to normal conditions and
he received his discharge, he resumed the thread of his
life where he had laid it down, and returned to the
Boston office of the American Woolen Company. He
remained there a year, then was made superintendent of
one of the Wood Mill departments, and has since con-
tinued to ably fill this position.

Mr. George's father, John A. George, was a native
of Scotland, and was there engaged in the wholesale
meat business; his mother is Isabella D. (Armstrong)
George, of England, who survives her husband.

In politics, Mr. George is a Republican, and as would
be naturally expected of one who had fought to defend
the principles he upheld, he has more than a passive
interest in the public afTairs of his city and State. He
is young in years, so does not seek public office, but
does perform his share of public service in the role of
a private citizen. He is a member of the Masonic order,
and attends the Lawrence Episcopal Church,



SAMUEL A. BOWIE was born in Montreal, Can-
ada, on .\pril 19, 1S75, and is a son of James and Agnes
(Fulton) Bowie. His father, who was born at Glasgow,
.Scotland, in 1840, was by trade a cooper, and engaged in
active work until his death in 1904. His mother, who
was born at Glasgow, Scotland, in 1847, died on August
II, 1898.

Mr. Bowie received his early education in the public
schools of Lawrence, whither his family had moved, and
also attended the Lowell Textile School. Ait&T having
completed his studies, he obtained employment with
the Pacific Mills, of Lawrence. He has remained with
this company ever since, working his way up from the
beginning to the position which he holds at the present
time, that of chief engineer of the Pacific Print Works.
He has a force of about one hundred and eighty men
working under his direction.

Mr. Bowie.is a member of the Second Baptist Church
of Lawrence. In politics he is a Republican. He is a
member of the Masonic order, and belongs to the chap-
ter of same. He also is a member of the Caledonian
Club of Lawrence.

Mr. Bowie married, in 1897, Lilla M. Bean, of Law-
rence, born May 19, 1880. They have three children:
Roland J., born May 28, 1899; Agnes M., born Decem-
,ber 6, 1904; and Gordon O., born October 15, 1906.



FRED W. MILLAY— The name of Millay has been
identified with the last manufacturing industry for many
years, and wherever this name has been found in con-
nection with lasts, there also has been quality. Philip
E. Millay, the founder of the business, was a native of
Whitefield, Maine; he was born in 1828, and died at
the advanced aged of eighty-four years in 1912. Mr.
Millay married Mandy M. Rollins, of Pittston, Maine,
and she died in 1865.

Fred W. Millay, son of Philip E. and Mandy M.
(Rollins) Millay, was born February 19, 1854. He was
educated in the public schools of Hudson, Massachu-
setts, until he was fourteen years of age. After leaving
school he went to work for the Tower Brothers' Ma-
chinery Company, of Hudson, serving five years as a
machinist. During his spare time Mr. Millay was also
working for his father, taking care of his father's lasts,
delivering the whole output of his father's factory with a
wheelbarrow. Aiter leaving the factory, Mr. Millay
went to work for his father in the last business and
learned it in detail. For eight years he was employed
there, and at the end of this time Mr. Millay, .Sr., went
to California, his business interests being purchased by
his son and three other young men. These partners
continued the same business under the firm name of the
Millay Last Company, of Hudson. After a year Mr,
Millay returned from the West and bought back his
business, necessitating a change of the firm name to
Philip E. Millay & Son.

.After five years of very successful business the com-
pany had to find larger quarters, the business having
increased to such an extent; consequently, a corpora-
tion was formed, the incorporators being: Philip E.
Millay, president; Fred W. Millay, treasurer; and Dr.
Cochran, secretary. This corporation manufactured
lasts for the rubber trade and assumed the name of the
Millay Last Company, of Hudson, which arrangement
continued for four years. At this time the leather last
business was removed to Haverhill, Massachusetts, and
after a year this part of the industry was sold to J. H.
Sutherland & Sons. Later the business was taken to
Lynn, Massachusetts, by the new firm.

Fred W. Millay remained with the Sutherland firm
for about a year in order to give them the benefit of
his experience. After leaving the company Mr. Mil-
lay engaged in business on his own account under the
name of the Fred W. Millay Company, of Haverhill.
Subsequently he consolidated his interests with those of
Harold F. Blake, of Haverhill, and as the Stewart-
Porter Last Company, they continued for fifteen months.
Mr. Millay disposed of his interests and again started in
for himself under the name of the Fred W. Millay
Company. This is the name he has since continued to
do business under, and he has met with well-deserved
success such as his experience and attention to detail has
brought him. An interesting feature of his career is
that he was the first man to undertake the specializing
of lasts. Fraternally, Mr. Millay is a member of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Millay mar-
ried, in 1887, Mary R. Brackett, of Peterboro, New
Hampshire, and the child of this marriage, Ella A. Mil-
lay, became the wife of Waldo Flanders, of Haverhill.
Mr. and Mrs. Millay attend the L'niversalist church of
Haverhill, and are active in its affairs.



470



ESSEX COUNTY



FREDERICK W. GAY was born at Holliston,
Massachusetts, February lo, 1867. son of William and
Henrietta Gay, of that town, where the former was long
engaged in the business of soap-making; both parents
are now deceased.

Mr. Gay attended the public schools of Holliston, and
was a resident there until 1900, in which year he came
to Lawrence, where he has since continued to make his
home and where he is now among the foremost business
men and citizens. Until 1905 he was connected with the
Beach Soap Company, of Lawrence, and after severing
his connection there, engaged in the laundry business
for himself, under the name of Gay's Laundry\ and has
now completed sixteen successful years. His plant is
equipped with modern machinery in every way and is
one of the best of its kind in Lawrence. For a year Mr.
Gay served as president of the Laundryowners' Asso-
ciation of Massachusetts, and is a member of the Na-
tional Association of Laundryowners.

In politics Mr. Gay is a Republican, and since com-
ing to Lawrence has taken a very active part in public
matters. In 1903 he was a member of the Common
Council, and from 1914 to 1916 was a member of the
State Republican Committee: he also is one of the en-
thusiastic members of the Chamber of Commerce of
Lawrence.

Mr. Gay's fraternal affiliations are with the following
organizations: Grecian Lodge, Free and Accepted Ma-
sons: the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks,
Lodge Xo. 65; the Rotary Club; and the Methuen
Club.

Mr. Gay married, at Nashua, New Hampshire, Editli
Rogers, daughter of Rev. F. C. Rogers, of Nashua, and
they are the parents of two daughters: Dorothy and
Elizabeth Gay.



JOSEPH O. ROUTHIER— With long experience
as a pharmacist, Joseph O. Routhier, of North .Andover,
Massachusetts, has conducted the attractive drug store
at No. 130 Main street since February, 1920.

Mr. Routhier is a son of Dr. Omer Routhier, late of
Lawrence, Massachusetts, who practiced medicine suc-
cessfully for fourteen years in the city of Lawrence.
Dr. Routhier died in 1908; his wife, Eliza, survives him.

Joseph O. Routhier was born in Montreal, Canada,
May I, 1889. Coming to Lawrence at the age of four
years with his parents, it was in the parochial and pub-
lic schools of that city that he received his early edu-
cation. He later attended the Plateau Commercial
School at Montreal. Choosing the drug business as his
field of endeavor, Mr. Routhier entered the employ of
John H. Greer, a prominent Lawrence druggist, in
1906, remaining with Mr. Greer for two years. In
1908 he came to North Andover, where he was em-
ployed by George H. Perkins from 1908 to 192a. On
February 2, of the latter year, he established his present
business, under the name of Routhier's Pharmacy. He
has thus far met with gratifying success, and is develop-
ing an important and prosperous business. Skilled in his
line, and with the highest standards of effort, the future
opens a wide field of usefulness.

As a member of the National Association of Retail
Druggists, Mr. Routhier keeps in touch with the lat-



est developments in connection with his business Fra-
ternally he is identified with the Catholic Order of For-
esters, and the La Societe St. Jean Baptiste, of Law-
rence, and the Knights of Columbus, Andover Council.
On June 4, 191", Mr. Routhier married Eva Lefcbore,
of North Andover, and they have four children:
Yvonne, born March 29, 1918; Claire, born May 7,
1919: Joseph O., Jr., born July i, 1920: an ! Paul W.,
born March 29, 1922.



HAROLD AINSWORTH, master mechanic, in the
employ of the F'arwell Bleachery, of Lawrence, Massa-
chusetts, was born in Bingley, County York, England,
January 3, 1889, son of Utley Ainsworth, a native of
Bingley, now engaged in textile business there, and
Edith (Smith) Ainsworth, born at Morton, England, in
1852, died in 1914. being one of the unfortunate victims
who took passage on the steamship "Empress," which
was sunk in the St. Lawrence river, Canada.

Mr. Ainsworth was educated in the public schools of
Bingley, and then took up the machinist's trade, work-
ing at this occupation until 1907, the year he came to the
L-nited States. After one year spent in New Hamp-
shire in the employ of the Berlin Mills, he came to
Lawrence, Massachusetts, and there worked for the
.Stanley Manufacturing Company, and after four years
in another position, he entered the employ of the Far-
well Bleachery Company, and has remained with this
company to the present time, now holding the position
of master mechanic. Mr. Ainsworth is a Republican in
politics; a member of the Masonic order, and of the
Engineers' Club, of Boston.

On December 25, 1913, Mr. Ainsworth married Eve-
line Mary Doncaster, born at Devonshire, England,
September 2, 1892, and their children are: Walter E.,
born June 25, 1917; and Eveline Bertha, born March
17, 1920. With his family, Mr. .Ainsworth attends the
Lawrence Episcopal Church.



JOSEPH WINFRED YEATON— A well-to-do

farmer, highly regarded in his home town, and a capable
public servant, J. Winfred Yeaton was born in George-
town. Massachusetts, Feliruary 9, 1861, the son of Jo-
seph and Mary A. (Larkin) Yeaton. His father, born
in Chichester, New Hampshire, was for twenty years
with Colonel Coleman at Newbury, and Mr. Hurd, of
Salem, Massachusetts, and at one time was superin-
tendent of the Ipsv.'ich Almshouse, his administration
being a very successful one, it has been stated. He died
on October 15. 1891. His widow, who was of a New-
bury family, survived him only a little while, her death
occurring in 1892.

J. Winfred Yeaton. son of Joseph and Mary A. (Lar-
kin) Yeaton, attended the public schools in his boyhood,
continuing in school until he had graduated from high,
then took to farming occupations. He has had his
Georgetown farm for very many years, and though his
principal occupation has been farming, he has, neverthe-
less, shown a helpful interest in the afifairs of the com-
munity, and has made for himself a lasting esteem among
the people of Georgetown. Mr. Yeaton has, for a num-
ber of years, been overseer of the poor, and has long
sat on the Board of Assessors, being now chairman of"




^^-<X^^^ ^MJzZ^-



BIOGRAPHICAL



4/1



that body. He also is inspector of cattle for the George-
town district. An active member and the first master
of the local grange, and earnest in Congregational
church work, he is undoubtedly a helpful citizen, ready
to help in any of the public responsibilities of his com-
munity. Mr. Yeaton is unmarried; he lives with his
sister.



ROBERT C. GRAY was born at Kennebunk, Maine,
on November ii, 1887, and is a son of Fred M. and
.•\bbic (Stevens) Gray. His father, who was born at
Kennebunk, is connected with the shoe manufacturing



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 47 of 56)