Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 48 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 48 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


industry. Mr. Gray's mother, who was born at Wells,
Maine, is still living.

Mr. Gray received his early education in the public
schools of Maine. He graduated from the Lawrence
High School, then proceeded to the Lowell Textile
School, from which he graduated as a member of the
class of 1909. After having completed his studies. Mr.
Gray accepted a position as assistant designer with the
Shetucket Worsted Company of Baltic, Connecticut.
He spent a year and a half in the service of the She-
tucket Worsted Company and then entered the service
of the Yantic Woolen Company of Yantic. Connecti-
cut, where he held the position of assistant designer.
His connection with the Yantic Woolen Company lasted
for about a year and a half, at the end of which time he
moved to Lawrence, Massachusetts, and became assist-
ant designer for the Arlington Mills, where he remained
for five years, or until 1916, when he resigned his posi-
tion in order to become assistant designer for the Wash-
ington Mills. In 1920 Mr. Gray was appointed head
designer for the Washington Mills, and this position
he still holds.

Mr. Gray is a member of Saint Paul's Episcopal
Church of North Andover. In politics he is a Republi-
can. Mr. Gray also is a member of the Masonic order.

Mr, Gray married, in 1912, Sarah E. Wrigley, who
was born at North Andover, on November 2, 1888.
They have one daughter, Mary A., born March 21, 1921.



JAMES MARCELLUS SMITH, shoe manufac-
turer, of Haverhill, Massachusetts, was born March 20,
1846, in Sandwich, New Hampshire, son of James and
Mary Smith. James Smith, his father, followed the
occupation of tinsmith, and he was the father of ten
children, the boys all business men, and the three sisters
all school teachers.

James M. Smith attended the public schools of Sand-
wich and the high school. At an early age he started
to make his own way in business and deserves in the
best sense of the phrase the title of a self-made man. He
engaged in the business of shoe manufacturing and was
very successful, continuing until 1915, in which year he
retired to a well-needed rest. Like the majority of
business men, Mr. Smith was not content to sit idle, and
to fill in his time he joined the Haverhill police force, and
had the record of fewer arrests than any other man on
the force at that time.

Mr. Smith was also an accomplished musician and
singer. He served as a musician in the Civil War, and
Mrs. Smith now has a drum used by her husband, on
the head of which is written:



Enlisted 1862 to 1865.

Discharged in June.

J. M. Smith, Center Sandwich, Company K,

I4th Regiment, New Hampshire Volunteers.

Mrs. Smith also has a bugle, flute and piccolo in very
good condition. Mr. Smith was a home man and his
main interests were centered there. He sang in the
Baptist church choir a short time, singing with Mrs.
Julia Houston West, a well-known singer of that time.
Mr. Smith was also a member of the Grand Army of the
Republic Post of Haverhill. Mr. Smith married, Octo-
ber 19, 1898, Emma F. Stewart, who survives him.
He died December 6, 1919.



JAMES M. MOYLEN, a leading merchant of Ha-
verhill, Massachusetts, the owner of the Dunn Furni-
ture Company of that city, is also among the progres-
sive citizens there.

He started upon his business career as a clerk with
the firm of Atherton & Bayard Company, and subse-
quently was manager of another large furniture house.
The Dunn Furniture Company was established in 1920
at 41 Emerson street with a floor space of 2,800 square
feet, and after six months the increase in business neces-
sitated the lease of the floor above, formerly the Haver-
hill Armory headquarters, thus providing a space of
8,000 square feet. In 1921, when the first anniversary
sale was held, new quarters were sought and a building
at No. 15 Washington square was leased with a selling
space of 50,000 square feet distributed over five floors.
The first floor, or the basement, is entirely used for dis-
playing kitchen furniture, and the next, level with the
street, displays dining room, living room and bed room
furniture. On the third floor there is an exceptionally
large rug-rack, where two hundred rugs can be dis-
played, and the height of the room is great enough to
allow space for a five-room bungalow. The fourth floor
contains bed room furniture and on the fifth the living
room and music department are found. They also have
a storehouse near the store. The motto of the store is:
"We are never satisfied." Mr. Moylen is a member of
the Haverhill Chamber of Commerce, and takes an
active part in furthering the interests of that organiza-
tion. Mr. Moylen is the father of four children: Fred-
erick, Joseph, Mary E., and Genevieve T. Moylen.



EVERETT M. SWETT, a prominent shoe manu-
facturer, of Amesbury, Massachusetts, and a leading
citizen of that town, was born at Haverhill, Massachu-
setts, August 6, 1876, the son of Everett and Alfreda C.
(Smith) Swett. After attending the public schools of
Haverhill, Mr. Swett was a student at the Bryant &
Stratton Business College at Boston, and at the age of
nineteen years started on his business career as book-
keeper for the Morse Brothers' Shoe Manufacturing
Company, continuing with them four years. During
this time Mr. Swett seized every opportunity to learn
the details of the shoe manufacturing business, and abotit
1899, in partnership with Henry C. Rowe, he engaged
in business on his own account, under the firm name of
Rowe & Swett, and they continued successfully for six
years, dissolving at the end of that time owing to the
death of Mr. Swell's father, who was also engaged in
the same business, and which the son assumed charge of



472



ESSEX COUNTY



upon his death. He sold his interests in his own firm to
Mr. Rowe and continued to carry on his father's busi-
ness, which was located in Lowell, and was conducted
under the firm name of the Spaulding, Swett Company.

After a year spent in Lowell, Mr. Swett purchased a
similar business in Haverhill, formerly the Sidney R.
Curtis Company, and formed the Wentworth-Swett
Company. Inc., continuing until the retirement of Mr.
Wentworth in 1914, at which time the latter sold his
interest to Roger Sherman, Jr., who, in 1918, sold his
interest to Joseph C. Kimball. In December, 1918, Mr.
Swett removed to Amesbury, where he purchased the
plant of the Nichols Shoe Company, and the business is
now conducted under the firm name of the E. M. Swett
Company, manufacturers of women's turned shoes.

Fraternally, Mr. Swett is a member of the Masonic
order; is a Knight Templar, and a member of the Mys-
tic Shrine. He is a member of the Amesbury Club, and
attends the Congregational church. He is also a mem-
ber of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of
Boston.

Mr, Swett married (first) Lucille Hicks, daughter of
Richard and Elizabeth Hicks, and they were the par-
ents of a son, Duncan F. Swett. Mr. Swett married
(second) Fannie H. Nute, daughter of Jacob and Grace
(Rowe) Nute, and they are the parents of: Russell
F. ; Marguerite; Reginald; and Grace, who died at the
age of eight months.



OLE ANDERSEN— In the shoe trade in Lynn the
name of Ole Andersen is well known as the founder of
the Andersen-Owens Shoe Company, manufacturers of
misses', girls' and children's shoes, and also through his
general connection with the manufacture of shoes during
his eighteen years' residence in Lynn. Mr. Andersen is
of Norwegian nativity, and is a son of Anders Erickson
and his wife, Karine, his above surname being derived
by the time honored custom of affixing "son" or "sen"
to the Christian name of the father, which is still in
vogue in many sections of Scandinavia. The mother
died in 1918.

Ole Andersen was born in Norway, August 26, 1876,
and received a practical education in his native land,
afterwards becoming an expert maker of fine shoes by
hand, serving a regular apprenticeship to this trade with
his father, who was in the same business. At the age
of twenty-eight Mr. Andersen came to America, and
located at once in Lynn. Readily securing employ-
ment in one of the shoe factories, he was thus engaged
until 1917, when he established a shop for making cus-
tom made shoes, entering upon the venture independently
in a plant on Essex street. He later received Ernest
Owens into partnership, and in 1919 the business was
incorporated, Mr. Andersen becoming treasurer and
general manager. In addition to the custom line, they
manufactured growing girls', misses', and children's fine
welt shoes, with a factory at No. 587 Washington street.
In the summer of 1921 Mr. Andersen made a trip to
Norway, where his father is still living, to visit the old
home, and upon his return to Lynn he resigned as treas-
urer of the company. He still retains a considerable
financial interest in the concern, and also now conducts
a small shop on Pearl street, where he makes hand-
made shoes of the highest grade, catering to a limited



and very select trade at retail. Mr. Andersen has
always taken a deep interest in the general advance in
Lynn, and also in international affairs, and is a member
of the Scandinavian fraternity.

Mr. Andersen married, in Norway, at the age of
twenty years, Ragnhild Johansen, and they are the par-
ents of two children: John, a resident of Chicago,
Illinois; and Marie, a resident of Norway.



CHARLES D. WHITE, of Haverhill, by profession
an architect and successful in that profession, designer
of several artistic public buildings recently erected, has
been in practice in Haverhill since 1915. He was bom
in Augusta, Maine, July 10, 1875, son of Nathaniel W.
and Flora E. (Abbott) White, both of Maine, the latter
of Pittston and the former of Augusta, where he was
in the civil service until his retirement, in 1920.

Charles D. White was educated in the public schools
of .A.ugusta, and at Corea, Maine, High School. He
came to Haverhill, Massachusetts, in 1915, and began
operation as an architect, his Haverhill office being at
No. 121 Merrimac street. The local business was in
reality a partnership, that of Harry J. Day, of Haver-
hill, Massachusetts, and Charles D. White, of Augusta,
Maine. Business was apparently done from both centers
until March, 1917, when Mr. White acquired Mr. Day's
interest, and thereafter traded in his own name. He
moved his offices to the Haverhill National Bank build-
ing in January, 1918, and that (No. 191 Merrimac street)
has since been his address. In some of his recent com-
missions Mr. White has shown architectural skill of a
high order, among the buildings recently constructed
of which he was the architect, being : The addition to
the Greenleaf School; the Charles K. Fox School; the
Haverhill Boys' Club; the addition to Hale Hospital;
the William H. Moody ward, at Hale Hospital; Coggs-
well Apartment, on Webster street; and several fine
residences, including those of George W. Dobbins,
James W. Whitcomb, and Theo. Le Bosquet. Fra-
ternally, Mr. White is a Mason, past master of Bethle-
hem Lodge, of Augusta, Maine. Professionally, he be-
longs to the Boston Architectural Club. Religiously, he
is a Universalist, member of the Haverhill church of
that denomination. Since he has been in Haverhill he
has entered actively into community affairs, and is an
ex-prcsident of the local Rotary Club.

Mr. White was married at Augusta, Maine, in 1896,
to Esther L. Home, of that city. They have two chil-
dren : Dorothy L., and Donald H., the latter a gradu-
ate of Haverhill High School, and now a student at
Boston University.



GEORGE LINCOLN SMITH, assistant superin-
tendent of the Katama Mills, of Lawrence, Massachu-
setts, is a descendant of several old New England fami-
lies, whose members have had proud part in the history
of the region. He is a son of Benjamin L. .Smith and
grandson of John Smith, who in his later years engaged
in lumbering operations on an extensive scale, manufac-
turing from logs cut on his own lands.

Benjamin Lincoln Smith, son of John and Sally
Smith, was born in Dennysville, Maine, in 18.32. A few
years later the family moved to Marion, Maine, where
he grew to manhood, and became associated with his



BIOGRAPHICAL



473



father in lumbering, developing the business upon a
large scale. He owned extensive tracts of timber lands,
a saw mill, and the general store which supplied his
neighbors for miles around with merchandise of all
kinds. He was a leader in the church, and was respon-
sible for a large measure of its material support. Ben-
jamin Lincoln Smith was a Republican, extremely active
in local affairs, and at the time of his death, which
occurred February 9, 1907, the incumbent of eleven town
offices, among them that of town treasurer, which he
held for twenty-seven years. He married as his second
wife Abbie R. Wood, daughter of Thomas W. Wood
and his first wife. She was born in Bath, Maine, in
1841, and died on Thanksgiving Day, 1919. There were
two children of Mr. Smith's first marriage: Bertha, and
Verna L., who married the Rev. William L. Kelley,
now (1922) a Methodist Episcopal minister at Ayer,
Massachusetts.

George Lincoln Smith, only child of the second mar-
riage of Benjamin L. Smith, was born in Marion, Maine,
January 17, 18S7. He was educated in the public schools
of his birthplace and the East Maine Conference Sem-
inar}'. After the completion of his studies, he was con-
nected with his father in lumbering in 1904-07. then
became an accountant in the ofHce of William Filene's
department store in Boston. Subsequently he was simi-
larly employed by the James A. Houston Company, then
was head cost accountant for the Newmarket Manufac-
turing Company in Newmarket, New Hampshire, work-
ing with this last-named firm for three years, but re-
signed to accept a position as paymaster of the Killingly
Manufacturing Company, Killingly, Connecticut, which
in 1912 came under the control of The Goodyear Tire
and Rubber Company. Mr. Smith was associated with
this business for four years, then came to Lawrence,
Massachusetts, to take charge of the office of the
Katama Mills. He was later promoted to the office of
assistant superintendent, his present position, and has
borne a full share of responsibility in the internal man-
agement of this organization. Mr. Smith is admirably
suited to the exacting duties of his office, and there is
no detail of the plant's operation with which he is not
thoroughly familiar.

Mr. Smith married, in 191 1, Vellie Pinkham, of Farm-
ington. New Hampshire, and they are the parents of
four children: Miriam Wood, born in 1912; George
Lincoln, Jr., born in 1913; Manford Edwin, born in
1915; and Frank Carleton, born in 1919. Since Mr.
Smith came to Massachusetts, Andover has been the
family home, and they are attendants of the Baptist
church in Andover.



WILFRED A. GOULET— Born in the United
States, and coming from a French family which for sev-
eral generations has been settled in Canada, Wilfred A.
Goulet, of Ward Hill, may be looked upon as distinctly
American. He was born in Willimantic, Connecticut, Au-
gust 3, 1888, son of Napoleon and Mary L-ouise (St. Ger-
main) Goulet, and grandson of Napoleon Goulet, who
was born in Canada. Wilfred A. Goulet's mother died
July 22, igi8, and his father, who was born in 1849,
died on June 20, 1920. They were worthy people, good
Catholics, and industrious, Napoleon Goulet for the



greater part of his life being a dealer in wood and coal,
and also a farmer. They were the parents of eleven
children, seven daughters and four sons.

Among the latter, of course, was Wilfred A. Goulet,
born in Willimantic, and educated in New Bedford. When
his school days were at an end Wilfred began to work
in the jewelry store of Walter E. Hanyard, of Attle-
boro. In his employ he remained for two years, and
for another year remained at home, assisting his father
in the working of the home farm. Next followed seven
years of business association with his brother, a master
plumber, and during that period Wilfred learned the
trade thoroughly, and in course of time also became a
master plumber. He came to Haverhill in 1918, and
this year, 1921, purchased the plumbing business of
Mr. Dubuque. He has since conducted it under the
trading name of the W. A. Goulet Company, and his busi-
ness covers all branches of the plumbing trade, includ-
ing heating, sheet metal work, tinning, and so forth.
His business headquarters are on Essex street, Haver-
hill, and in his ever-increasing business he must see
that he has been making good friends and customers by
his good workmanship. Mr. Goulet gives his whole
time to his business, belonging to no societies or clubs.
He is, however, a member of the Catholic church of
Haverhill.

He was married, on September 13. 1915, at New Bed-
ford, to Yvonne Savoie, who was born in that city, on
June 17, 1895, daughter of Henry and Marie ("Prevost)
Savoie. Her father is a mill worker there, and for long
has been a responsible, respected resident. Mr. and
Mrs. Goulet have four children: Norman, born in 1916;
Theresa, born in 1918; Henry, born in 1920; and Hor-
tense E., born August 3, 1921.



JAMES A. MACDONALD, who for thirty-five years
has been identified with the Arlington Mills, and at
present is a superintendent of that plant, is a native of
Lawrence, and fifty years of life within it have not
passed without bringing him into cooperation with other
reliable citizens in the building up of several phases of
the business, civic, and financial affairs of the com-
munity.

James A. Macdonald was born October 30, 1871, son
of John Gordon and Hannah (Minard) Macdonald, who
were both born in Nova Scotia. His father came to
Lawrence, Massachusetts, in 1S67, and was a manu-
facturer of interior wood finish there until his death in
1S76. He died an accidental death, being run over by a
train in the Boston and Maine passenger station at Law-
rence. James A. was then only four years old, but
fortunately he was the youngest of the five children,
three sons and two daughters, whom the widowed
mother had to think of in her misfortune. She lived a
widowhood of twenty-two years, successfully raising her
children to manhood and womanhood ; her demise oc-
curred in 1898.

James A. Macdonald passed through the public schools
of Lawrence, and began business life as office boy for
Dr. Carleton, for whom he worked for one year, after
which he became a runner boy at the Pacific Mills. He
was at those mills for two years, rising to a clerkship.
In 1887, however, he became a clerk in the Arlington



474



ESSEX COUNTY



Mills. Connected with that company he has remained
ever since, rising step by step, and by consistent merit,
to his present responsibility, that of superintendent of
the top and yarn department, an important position,
having regard to the magnitude of the operations and
the standing of the company. The main steps have been
from clerk to assistant paymaster, from that to agent's
assistant, then to superintendent of the top department,
and finally, in 1915. to his present authority.

Mr. Macdonald has entered much into other affairs
in his native city, and is necessarily widely known. In
fraternal affiliations he is identified with the Masonic
order, attaining to the Shrine. He is a director of the
Morris Plan Bank, trustee of the Lawrence Savings
Bank, and a director of the Lawrence chamber of Com-
merce. By religious belief a Baptist, Mr. Macdonald
is a member of Calvary Baptist Cliurch, of Lawrence,
and in the many years of association has been an active
member. He is interested in all Christian work, indicated
by the fact that for some years he has been president of
the Lawrence Young Men's Christian Association.

In 1898 Mr. Macdonald was married to Jeanie R.
Houston, who was born in Glasgow, Scotland, daughter
of Dr. James Houston, who died in 1901, and his wife,
Jeanie (.'Mian) Houston, who died in 1903. Mr. and
Mrs. Macdonald's only child is their son, Allan H., who
was born in 1901. He graduated at Phillips Andover
College, and is now at Princeton University.



of Haverhill, and they are the parents of the following
children: Elizabeth Haynes, now (1922) a student at
Skidmore College; Raymond Noyes: Russell Stock-
bridge; and Arnold Hildredth, deceased.



GEORGE E. SEAVEY, a leading business man of
Haverhill, Massachusetts, and also a prominent citizen
of that city, was born there August 4, 1876, son of Enoch
and .Alice M. (Haynes) Seavey. His father was engaged
in the sewing machine business in Haverhill and in later
life engaged in farming at Newton Junction, New Hamp-
shire; he died at the age of seventy-six years, in Decem-
ber, 1913. His wife, Alice M. (Haynes) Sea\ey, was a
native of Boston, and her death occurred in June, 1915,
at the age of sixty-eight years. Mr. Seavey was also a vet-
eran of the Civil War, and was a member of the Newton
Post, Grand Army of the Republic.

The early education of George E. Seavey was obtained
in the public schools of Newton Junction, and he fol-
lowed farming until the age of eighteen before return-
ing to Haverliill, where he went to work in the shoe
business, and through his industry and thrift was able
to start in business for himself in 1897, with headquar-
ters at No. 61 Emerson street, carrying a general line of
bicycles and a year later adding the agency for the
Edison Talking Machine.

For three years the business was located in a base-
ment and then its increase and growth made it neces-
sary to move to more commodious quarters. A loca-
tion was secured at No. 50 Emerson street, and in 1919
better quarters were had at No. 192 Merrimac street,
where it is now located and has grown to be one of the
largest business houses of its kind in Haverhill.

Outside of these interests Mr. Seavey is also inter-
ested in public matters in Haverhill, and he is a mem-
ber of the Chamber of Commerce of that city and also
of the Civic Pride Campaign, both of which organiza-
tions have the welfare of the city at heart.

Mr. Seavey married, in 1901, Florence Louise Noyes,



EDWARD H. SEARLE, one of the self-made men
of Lawrence, Massachusetts, has through his own un-
aided effort attained the position he now holds, that of
assistant agent of the Lawrence Duck Company. He
was born in Methuen, Massachusetts, .August i, 1S82,
son of William S. Searle, a native of Devonshire, Eng-
land, born there August 9, 1840, and until his death,
March 26, 1904, served many years in the Methodist
ministry. Mr. Searle's mother was Emma (Lakey)
Searle, born March 22, 1845, in Devonshire, now resid-
ing in Lawrence with her son.

Edward H. Searle was educated in the Lawrence
public schools and the Methuen High School, and then
attended the Lowell Textile School. Subsequently he
was employed in the office of the Boston & Maine rail-
road for ten years, resigning this position to enter the
employ of the Lawrence Duck Company. In 1915 he
applied himself to the task of thoroughly learning the
business, and has since passed through the various
grades to the position of assistant agent. Mr. Searle is
a Republican, and an esteemed citizen of Lawrence. He
is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows;
the Methuen Lodge of Masons, and during his senior
year at high school was captain of the Methuen High
School Cadets.

Mr. Searle married, in 1912, Bertha Hennings, born
May 26, 1886, in Somerville, Massachusetts, and they
are the parents of two sons: William S., born June 15,
icjis; Robert H., born August 5, 1917. With his fam-
ily, Mr. Searle attends the Methodist church at Methuen.



HAROLD E. PEMBROOK. a Spanish War vet-
eran, has lived in Lynn since 1901, when he was dis-
charged from military service, and while he has always
been a responsible resident, he has since 1912 come more
prominently into notice in Lynn as an automobile
dealer. He now has sales rooms at No. 20 Spring street,
and also maintains effective garage service at two places.
No. loS Empire street, and No. 132 Essex street. Dis-
tinctly enterprising, Mr. Pembrook has found a good
business in the purchase and sale of used cars. He was
said to have been the only dealer in Lynn who devoted
himself exclusively to the used car business, but now he
is a dealer for the Chevrolet car. His two garages are
well equipped and the service is efficient, indicating that
Mr. Pembrook is a good executive and manager, as
well as a first-class salesman. He has, during the eight
or nine years in which he has been in independent busi-
ness, built up a worth-while business.



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 48 of 56)