Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 49 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 49 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Harold E. Pembrook was born in Birmingham, Eng-
land. July 30. 1879, son of Charles and Helen J.
(Brown) Pembrook. His father, who died in 1887, was
a superintendent of English railways, and died in Eng-
land. Harold E. was only ten years old when the family,
in 1889, came to America and settled in Maplewood,
Massachusetts. He was partly educated in English
schools, continuing in the public schools of Maplewood,
Massachusetts. He was nineteen years old when, in




(BtoxQt €, ^eatjep



BIOGRAPHICAL



475



1898, during the period in which the nation was at war
with Spain, he enlisted in the L'nited States army. He
was sent on active service to the Phihppine Islands, and
had part in the Philippine campaign, serving two years
there. He was discharged in 1901 with the grade of
sergeant. Soon afterwards, he came to Lynn, and
entered the shoe manufacturing industry, becoming con-
nected with Williams and Clark, of Lynn. He served
them for ten years, at the end of wh.ich period, in 1912,
he decided to take up the automoljile business. He
opened a garage of his own at No. 108 Empire street,
and later opened a second one at No. 1.^2 Essex street,
conducting the two as well as cultivating a brisk busi-
ness in used cars. In course of time he also opened
sales rooms at No. 20 Spring street, and was thus
equipped for trading in many branches of the automo-
bile business, in cars, repairs, service, and accessories.
Mr. Pembrook is a man of pleasing personality, and
both in private life and in business is well liked. He
gives good service, which is the best guarantee of con-
tinuance in good business. Fraternally, Mr. Pembrook
is a Red Man. He also is a good worker in the local
Kiwanis Club, carrying out its principles in his own
business.

He married, in igo6, Josephine M., daughter of John
J. and Ella McEncrowe, of New Brunswick, where the
former is connected with the lumber industry. Mr. and
Mrs. Pembrook have two children, their twin sons,
Harold E. and Walter J., who were born in 1916.



DANA WHITNEY SCOTT - Holding a position
of large responsibility in the industrial world of Essex
county, Mr. Scott stands among the men of significance
to the public advance in the city of Lawrence, Massa-
chusetts. Of Vermont nativity, Mr. Scott is a son of
Chester W. Scott. M. D., and Violet E. (Chamberlin)
Scott. Dr. Scott was a practicing physician in Cale-
donia county, Vermont, during the early years of his
career, then came to Lawrence. Massachusetts, where
he was successfully engaged in the practice of medicine
until his death.

Dana Whitney Scott was born in Lyndon, Vermont,
.•\ugust 18, 1863. Coming to Essex county, Massachu-
setts, as a boy. he attended Oliver Grammar School, of
Lawrence, from which he was graduated in the year
1877, then also covered the high school course in Law-
rence, and was graduated m the class of 1881. He began
his business career in the capacity of secretary for the
agent of the Pacific Mills, of Lawrence, entering the
employ of this concern in 1881, and has filled the same
position for a period of forty-one years, still being active
in the same capacity. He has gone forward with the
remarkable growth of these mills, bearing a part in their
evolution from the early beginnings of a forward-look-
ing enterprise to the enormous and comprehensive cen-
tr.ilization of industrial activity which is now comprised
in the plant of this leading textile mill of the country.
Mr. Scott is well known fraternally, being a member
of Pho-nician Lodge, Free and .\ccepted Masons, of
which he was worshipful master in 1898-99, and of
which he has been treasurer since 1905; Mount Sinai
Chapter, Royal .Arch Masons; Lawrence Council,
Royal and Select Masters; Bethany Commandery,



ICnights Templar; Lowell Lodge of Perfection, Mount
Calvary Chapter, Rose Croix; Massachusetts Con-
sistory, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite; and Aleppo
Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic
Shrine. He is also a member of Lawrence Chapter,
No. 78, Order of the Eastern Star. He is a member of
the Central Methodist Episcopal Church, of Lawrence.
Mr. Scott married, September 21, 1886, in Law-
rence, Minnie E. Pickels, daughter of Thomas and Han-
nah (Arundale) Pickels, of this city.



JOHN J. BATH RICK— One of the most attractive
and progressive mercantile establishments in Lynn, Mas-
sachusetts, is the apparel shop of John J. Bathrick,
whose location at No. 11 Market street is most desirable.

Mr. Bathrick was born in Scotts, Michigan, September
14, 1869, but the family coming East in his childhood,
it was in the public schools of Chelsea, Massachusetts,
that he received his education. He entered the business
world in Boston, in the employ of the mercantile firm of
G. W. Coleman & Company, and for thirty years was
identified with the progress of this concern. Later he
became associated with the Spaulding Dry Goods Com-
pany, of Lynn, and is now the sole owner of this busi-
ness. This store was established in 1854, and since its
earliest days has been a thriving interest. Mr. Bathrick
has added to the original store a large modern struc-
ture, with the most up-to-date equipment, and various
departments devoted entirely to apparel for women,
misses and children. The store now has a handsome
frontage of one hundred and eight feet, and is believed
to be one of the leaders in rapid development in New
England.

Mr. Bathrick is a member of the Lynn Chamber of
Commerce, and is a director of the National City Bank,
of Lynn. He is married, and is a well-known member
of the Oxford and Rotarv clubs.



ROBERT FYFE. master baker, formerly president
and general manager of the Bob's Bread Company, of
Merrimac, was born in Lawrence. Massachusetts, De-
cember 7, 1892, son of Stewart P. and Jane (Bruce)
Fyfe, of Fairfan, Scotland. His parents crossed to
.America, and settled in Haverhill, Massachusetts, where
his father was in the bakery business for many years.
Robert Fyfe does not seem to have spent much time in
boyhood in Lawrence. He received the whole of his
education in the public schools of Haverhill, and after
leaving school learned the trade of baker in the shop of
William Houston, of Haverhill. He worked for him
for about a year, and for Gus Natho, of Haverhill, for
about three years. For the following two years he was
manager for F. C. Wilson & Company, of Haverhill,
leaving that company to take a more lucrative appoint-
ment in Merrimac, where he was in charge of the Whit-
ney Bakery for two years. At the end of that time he
acquired the business, and changed the trading name to
the Merrimac Bakery. In 1921 he incorporated the busi-
ness, deciding to do corporate business as the Bob's
Bread Company, of Merrimac. It must be stated that he
expanded the business considerably. He later disposed
of this business, and at the present time is employed by
the Holmes Bread Company, of Bradford. In political



476



ESSEX COUNTY



affiliation and allegiance, Mr. Fyfe is a Republican.
Fraternally, he belongs to the Bethany Lodge of Ma-
sons, and to the Clan Douglas, of Haverhill. He is a
member of the Presbyterian church, of Haverhill.

In 1913 Mr. Fyfe was married to Beatrice I\obinson,
of Haverhill, daughter of Charles and Abbie (Clarke)
Robinson, of Haverhill, where the former is connected
with the American E.xpress Company. Mr. and Mrs.
Fyfe have three children: Norman Stewart, born Jan-
uary 19, 1914; Robert Clarke, born November 23, 1916;
Helen, born June 5, 1919.



WILLIAM WOOSNAM was born in Newtown,
North Wales, February 14, 1882, a son of Richard and
Mary Ann (Edwards) Woosnam. His father, who was
born in Newtown, North Wales, was engaged in the tex-
tile industry until his death in 1889, when Mr. Woos-
nam was but seven years old. Mr. Woosnam's mother,
who was also born in Newtown, North Wales, died in

1919-

Mr. Woosnam received his early education in the
public schools of Williamstown, Massachusetts, whither
his family had moved while he was still quite young.
He graduated from the Manchester High School, Man-
chester, New Hampshire, and obtained employment
with the Manchester Print Works, with whom he spent
eight years, holding the position of second hand during
the last three years of his employment. He moved to
Lowell, Massachusetts, when his cotmection with the
Manchester Print Works came to an end, and entered
the service of the Merrimack Print Works as second
hand. After spending a short time at Lowell, however,
he was offered a position with the Cocheco Print Works
at Dover, New Hampshire, which position he accepted,
and accordingly moved to Dover, New Hampshire. He
spent six years in the service of the Cocheco Print
Works, acting as overseer of the white department. In
igi.3 he left the Cocheco Print Works and moved to
North Andover, Massachusetts, in order to become the
superintendent of the preparing division at the Pacific
Print Works. This connection has remained unbroken
up to the present time, and complete success has attended
his efforts.

Mr. Woosnam is a member of St. Paul's Protestant
Episcopal Church of North Andover. In politics he is
a Republican. He is a member of the Chamber of
Commerce. He belongs to the Merrimack Valley
Country Club and to the North Andover Club. He is
a member of the American Association of Textile Chem-
ists and Colorists. He is also a Mason and belongs to
all the Masonic bodies up to and including the Shrine.

Mr. Woosnam married Dorothy Wright in 1913.
Mrs. Woosnam was born in Concord, New Hampshire,
June 3, 1892. Mr. and Mrs. Woosnam have one daugh-
ter, Elizabeth, born September 26, 1915.



GEORGE E. HODGE— It was about forty years
ago that George E. Hodge, now sole owner of the
Hodge & Graves Company, began to learn his trade as
a carriage trimmer in Amesbury, Massachusetts, and
from the age of sixteen he has been identified with that
business as apprentice, journeyman, foreman, partner
and sole owner.



Mr. Hodge was born in Dover, New Hampshire, Au-
gust I, 1865, son of Elisha and Mahalia Hodge, but was
orphaned when a child of eight years, and with a sister
came to Amesbury to live. He attended the public
schools of Amesbury until reaching the age of sixteen,
then began learning the carriage trimmer's trade, and
from that year he has been associated with that trade
and business. He began his apprenticeship in the shops
of the Charles Rowell & Son Company, of Amesbury,
and continued with them for six years, becoming an
expert trimmer, at the end of which period he was
offered the position of foreman in the trimming depart-
ment of the John H. Clark plant, and held that posi-
tion until 1S92, when he formed a partnership with
James H. Hassett, they forming the firm, Hassett &
Hodge, carriage manufacturers of Amesbury. Until
1909 that partnership continued, the firm manufacturing
a line of pleasure carriages with good success. After
the dissolution of partnership in 1909, Mr. Hodge ac-
quired an interest in the Graves & Congdon Company,
of Amesbury, the firm name then changing to the Hodge
& Graves Company, and so continuing until 1920, when
Mr. Graves retired from the business. Mr. Hodge has
since been sole owner, though he still conducts the
business under the old firm name.

Politically, Mr. Hodge is a Republican. He is a
member of the Amesbury Associates, and belongs to the
Amesbury Club. He has in the past been somewhat
active in public matters, and since 1917 has been mod-
erator of the town. He belongs to many fraternal
orders, including lodge, encampment and Daughters of
Rebekah of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows ;
the Improved Order of Red Men; and the New Eng-
land Order of Protection. He is an attendant of the
Market Street Baptist Church.

Mr. Hodge married (first) Nellie E. Durant, of
-Amesbury, Massachusetts, who died, leaving a daughter,
Josephine C. Hodge, a graduate of Howard Seminary,
Bridgewater, Massachusetts; Hebron Academy, Heb-
ron, Maine; and the State Normal School at Fitchburg,
Massachusetts. She is engaged as a teacher in Fram-
ingham, Massachusetts. Mr. Hodge married (second),
in 1906, Mary E. Hoyt, of Amesbury, Massachusetts.



JOHN J. McCaffrey, treasurer and general man-
ager of F. Archibald, Inc., of Haverhill, manufacturers
and wholesalers of cut soles and leather, was born in
the Province of Quebec, Dominion of Canada. May 9,
1882, the son of Patrick J. and Mary B. (McGrane)
McCaffrey, the former a farmer in that province. His
descent in both paternal and maternal lines is Irish.

John J. McCaffrey passed his boyhood on the parental
farm, and attended the local schools. After leaving
school he assisted his father in the working of the home
farm for five years, and then went into the leather busi-
ness, being employed by Sears. Roebuck & Cotnpany, at
Littleton, New Hampshire, and Nichols & Gilpin, of
Haverhill, Massachusetts. In 1914 he became foreman
in the plant of the F. Archibald Company, of Haverhill,
and for the following three years or so was so employed
by that firm. In 1918 he was admitted into partnership,
and when Mr. Archibald died in 1919 he was made
treasurer and general manager of the reconstructed firm.




i^p:4mU^




^



BIOGRAPHICAL



477



the company being incorporated under the name of F.
Archibald, Inc. It is stated that the firm is the largest
in the city in its line; they deal very largely in cut
soles and leather, the volume of their business reaching
to about $500,000 a year. The firm still uses its old
building at Phoenix row, and also has a building at No.
64 Washington street.

Mr. McCaffrey married, in 1912, Bernice A. Moore,
daughter of William and Caroline Moore, of Derry,
New Hampshire. They have one child, Donald J., who
is now (1922) five years old.



FRANK E. KENYON— There are few men engaged
in different lines of mill work who have the extensive
e.xperience of Frank E. Kenyon, now assistant superin-
tendent of the Pacific Mills Print Works, Lawrence,
Massachusetts. Mr. Kenyon was born in Manches-
ter, England, February 22. 1865, a son of Francis Lee
and Lucy (Johnson) Kenyon, the former a native of
Staleybridge, England, and the latter of Rochdale.

Francis Lee Kenyon was skilled in the art of dyeing
and coloring, and his services were greatly in demand
a generation ago. .\t the age of nine years he went to
work at the Pinmill Printworks, Ardwick, near Man-
chester, England, and after ten years was promoted to
the position of foreman of the Madder Dye House, and
in the following years held this position in many of the
leading print works in England, with the exception of
ten years spent in Russia. Eight years of this period
he was employed at the Karetnikoff Manufacturing
Company, at Teakova and Moscow, and two years were
spent at the Danilofsky Manufacturing Company at
Moscow. The last position held by Mr. Kenyon was
at the Birkacre Printing Company, Chorley, England,
where after a service of twenty years or more he retired
to private life, and four years later died, aged seventy-
two years.

Frank E. Kenyon began his education in the public
schools of Manchester, England, and then attended the
grammar school at Hyde, Cheshire, England. When his
father went to Russia, the family accompanied him, and
there Mr. Kenyon attended the English school at Mos-
cow, and on his return to England was a student at the
Charles O'Neil School of Chemistry of Coloring and
Dyeing, at Manchester. Returning again to Russia. Mr.
Kenyon studied the general routine of calico printing
at the Danilofsky Manufacturing Company at Mos-
cow, his father being assistant manager of this plant at
the time, and two years later the entire family returned to
England.

In England, Mr. Kenyon worked for the Garsides
Printing Company of Bucton Vale, and then received
the offer of assistant overseer in the Stansfield Printing
Company at Littleborough, at which place Mr. Kenyon,
St., was managing partner, where he remained two
years, thence going to Bradley Fold Printing Company,
near Bolton. After two more years of experience with
different English firms, Mr. Kenyon came to America
in March. 1888, and his first position in the new country
was with the Passaic Print Works, in New Jersey, and
from there he went to the Slater Cambric Works at
East Webster, Massachusetts, to aid them in establish-
ing a printing line, having confined themselves previ-



ously to bleaching and dyeing. After two years with
this company, Mr. Kenyon went to Dover, New Hamp-
shire, as second hand in the color shop, and there spent
two years with the Cocheo Manufacturing Company, at
first in the capacity of assistant, and later as overseer of
the color shop. His next promotion was to the posi-
tion of colorist with this company, and for nineteen
years he rendered faithful and efficient service to this
firm. After leaving Dover, Mr. Kenyon went to Provi-
dence, Rhode Island, as superintendent of the Silver
Spring branch of the United States Finishing Company,
and after one and one-half years accepted a position
with the Pacific Mills Company as colorist, later being
appointed assistant superintendent of the Print Works,
which position he now holds.

With his natural talent in his work, his foundation of
excellent schooling and training, combined with his
many years of practical experience, Mr. Kenyon is one
of the foremost men in his line in the country. Since
becoming a resident of Lawrence, he has entered into
the public and social life of that city with spirit, and
is a member of several organizations and clubs. He
is a Mason, a member of the Council, Chapter, Knights
Templar, and has attained thirty-second degree. He is
a member of the Knights of Pythias. His club is the
Merrimack Valley Country, and is a member of the
Episcopal church.

Mr. Kenyon married, in 1894, Margaret J. Dorr,
daughter of Thomas and Ellen Dorr, born in Webster,
Massachusetts, and they are the parents of a daughter,
Beatrice Ellen, born March 13, 1899, a graduate of the
Abbott Academy, and of the Pierce Secretarial School
of Boston.



AARON STRAUSS, a well-known business man of
Peabody, Massachusetts, is one of that large body of
Americans of foreign birth who have woven themselves
and their works into the multi-colored fabric of our
national life. As an expert tanner of leather he prac-
ticed his trade in many countries, but found his greatest
success after coming to the United States; he is now
one of the leaders in his line in Peabody. He is the
son of Abraham and Marie (Messinger) Strauss, and
was born January i, 1876, at Szlanicza. Czecho-.Slovakia.

After his early education in the public schools of his
native land, he attended a school of chemistry for a
proper technical training. Upon graduating he served
a long apprenticeship in a Hungarian tannery. His
enterprising nature soon took him from his native land
and he came to the United States and worked at his
trade. Later he worked at his trade in Austria, Eng-
land, and Canada, then returned to this country. His
first place in Peabody was with the Armstrong Leather
Company, with which he remained for seven years as
superintendent, but in April, 1919, he became a member
of the Hygrade Tanning Company. Peabody, and is its
treasurer and superintendent. The change has been
profitable to both the company and Mr. Strauss. He
has found little time for outside interests, but is fra-
ternally a Mason and a member of the Independent
Order B'rith Abraham.

In March, 1901, at Polhora, Czecho-Slovakia, Mr.
Strauss was married to Regina Scharf, daughter of Her-



478



ESSEX COUNTY



man Scharf, a tanner, and Terese (Silberstcin) Scharf.
They have three children: Alexander, born in Czecho-
slovakia, in March, 1902; Elsie, born in England, in
March, 1905; and Abraham, born in the United States, in
September, 1910.



LINCOLN D. ROBBINS— Among the well-known
automoljile garage service men of Massachusetts is
Lincoln D. Robbins, vi-ho since 1905 has lived in Lynn,
and for several years has been president of the Oxford
Garage, Inc., probably one of the largest businesses in
that line in Lynn.

Lincoln D. Robbins was born in Norwood, Massa-
chusetts, July 21, 1875, son of Charles W. and Mary
A. (Rhoads) Robbins, the former still living. He was
for many years a bank cashier. Lincoln D. is one of
the three children, sons, born to Charles W. and Mary
A. (Rhoads) Robbins, and he grew to manhood in his
native place, attending the public schools of Norwood,
and eventually graduating from the high school, in the
class of 1895. Soon thereafter he went into the machine
shop of H. D. Plympton, at Norwood, and during the
next five years, which were all spent under the same
employer, he learned the trade of mechanical engi-
neering. For a further five years he was a mechanic
with various concerns. In 1905 he came to Lynn and
then established the garage known as that of Robbins
Brothers, at No. 197 Broad street. The company was
reorganized later, and took corporate existence under
the name of L. D. Robbins & Company, Inc. As such,
the business was conducted until 1915, when the Oxford
Garage Company was organized and incorporated. The
present corporation is composed of L. D. Robbins, pres-
ident; G. V. Sawyer, vice-president and treasurer; and
P. F. Malloy, clerk. Since that time the business has
grown considerably, and the garage is now probably
the most modern as well as the most extensive in the
Lynn district. It is equipped with the most up-to-date
appliances, and three floors afford a space of about
.35,000 square feet. In addition to repairs and service
the company carries a complete line of supplies, and has
one of the largest salesrooms in Esse.x county. The
building is owned by Mr. Robbins, who is a well-
known and successful business man. He is a high rank-
ing Mason, his affiliations extending to the Shrine; and
he also belongs to the Oxford Club, of Lynn.

Mr. Robbins married, in 1907, Aimee, daughter of
Frederic and Ida (Peabody) Stocker, of East Saugus,
Massachusetts. The father of Mrs. Robbins was a brick
manufacturer there; he died in 1920. Mr, and Mrs.
Robbins have two children: Frederick S., who was
born in 1908; and Lincoln D., Jr., born in 1912.



JAMES HAINSWORTH was born in Leeds, Eng-
land, October 3, 1872, a son of Joseph and Martha
(Mathers) Hainsworth. His father, who was born in
Leeds, England, was engaged in the textile business
until his death in 191 1. His mother, who was born in
Bradford, England, is now deceased.

Mr. Hainsworth received his early education in the
schools of Leeds, and after having completed his stud-
ies obtained employment in the textile business there.
In 1890, however, he decided to leave home and seek his



fortune in a new country. Accordingly, he came to the
United States and obtained employment at the Sayles
Bleachery of Rhode Island during the same year, 1890.
He spent ten years in the service of the Sayles Bleach-
ery, but at the end of that period he moved to Lowell,
Massachusetts, and accepted a position as overseer for
the Lowell Bleachery. Thirteen years later, in 1913, he
became superintendent for the Lowell Bleachery and
remained in that position until 1917. When his connec-
tion with the Lowell Bleachery came to an end, Mr.
Hainsworth moved to Lawrence, Massachusetts, where
he associated himself with the Pacific Print Works,
becoming superintendent of the shoe goods department.
This position he still holds. Mr. Hainsworth is a mem-
ber of the Baptist church. In politics he is a Repub-
lican.

Mr. Hainsworth married Sarah F. Tucker, of Sayles-
ville, Rhode Island. Mr. and Mrs. Hainsworth have
four sons: Norman T., James P., Herbert F,, and
Joseph C. Hainsworth.



CHARLES F. SKILLINGS was born in Dexter,
Maine, in the year 1877. He received his early educa-
tion in the public schools of Dexter, and after graduat-
ing from the Dexter High School proceeded to Boston
University for collegiate work. After completing his
studies. Mr. Skillings spent eight years in the hotel busi-
ness at Boston. He then established himself in a busi-
ness of his own, which he conducted with entire success
until 191 1, when he decided to leave Boston and came
to Hathorne, a part of Danvers, Massachusetts, where
he now lives. He has been the United States postmaster
at Hathorne for more than eight years. He is an Epis-
copalian.

Mr. Skillings married Jean H. Graham. Mr. and
Mrs. Skillings have one daughter.



GEORGE L. BRIGGS, one of the most prominent
citizens and business men of Amesbury, Massachusetts,



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 49 of 56)