Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 5 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 5 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


still a prominent executive.

In the public service of Danvers. Mr. Trotter
has been more or less active for a number of
years, and in 1919 was elected to the town water
board, still serving in tliis branch of activity-
Fraternally he is a member of the Free and
Accepted Masons, and is also a member of the
Masonic Club- He is a member of the Now-and-
then Club, of Salem, and of the Homestead Golf
Club.

In 1914, Mr- Trotter married Viola Rundette,
of Danvers. and they attend the Maple Street
Congregational Church, of which Mr. Trotter is a
trustee.



WILLIAM DOOLEY POWERS— After his re-
turn from the naval service of his country, which
he entered a volunteer upon the declaration of a
state of war between the United States and Ger-
many, Mr. Powers resumed his trade of sign
painting and in his native Lynn established the
prosperous business which he conducts today
(1922). under the firm name The Powers Com-
pany. He is a son of William D. and Calverta
(Van Tassel) Powers, his father of Maine birth
and family (bom in Bath), his mother bom in
Digby, Nova Scotia. After the removal of the
family to Lynn. Massachusetts, Mr. Powers en-
gaged in the express business until his passing in
1909.

William Dooley Powers was born in Lynn, May
26, 1888, and was educated in Lynn public schools.
After school days ended he was employed in Glen-



258



ESSEX COUNTY



more, then for eighteen months was with the Lynn
Record Holder Company. He sptnt the following
four years connected with the printing trade, then
spent six years as foreman at the plant of the
General Electric Company, of East Boston. He
gave up that position to form an association with
J- N- Pike,, cigar manufacturer and dealer, con-
tinued in that line for years, ending in li)13. He
then entered the employ of his brother, who, with
a Mr. Brown, was conducting a sign making busi-
ness under the trade name Powers & Brown. For
three years he remained with him. learning sign
painting and designing, and became quite expert
as a sign \\Titer, but the war with Germany in-
terrupted his business career.

Soon after the United States declared war
against Germany, Mr. Powers enlisted in the
United States navy, his service beginning May
SO, 1917, and terminating with his honorable dis-
charge March 15, 1910, ranking as chief petty
officer. After his return from the navy he re-
sumed sign painting, forming a partnership with
George B. Polando, Jr.. and operating as Polando
& Powers. Later that partnership was dissolved,
Mr. Powers then becoming a partner with L. W.
Anderson, they beginning their association as
Anderson & Powers. A change was made, and
under the firm narr.e The Powers Company, sigT.
painters, at No. 10 Central avenue, Lynn, a large
and prosperous sign painting business is conducted.
The business of the company is the maldng of
.signs and the designing of display advertising, a
line they have developed to a high state of
efficiency and success. Mr. Powers is a meiribev
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellov/ - , and
the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of
Lynn. His frank and open manner, cheerful and
happy disposition has won him many friends, and
he is very popular in the city which has been
his life-time home.

He man-ied, in 1921, Agnes Hennessy, daughter
of William and Mary Hennessy, of Augusta.
Maine. The family home which Mr. Powers has
purchased is No. 60 Tudor street, Lynn, Massa-
chusetts.



ELMER O. PUTNAM v.-as born at Danvers.
Mas.sachusetts, in the year 1872. His grandfather,
Adrian Putnam, established a lumber mill and ice
business in the year 1820. When he died, his son.
O. F. Putnam, father of Elmer O. Putnam, ac-
quired the property and managed it for fifty
years. O. F. Putnam was bom at Danvers. He
married Adeline Batchelder and had five children:
George O-, who is now sixty-two years old; Lucy
F., who is now sixty years old, a well knowTi
school teacher; Elmer O., of whom further; Lil-
lian B., wife of George Brown; Fannie, died
aged twelve years.

Elmer O. Putnam received his early education
in the public schools of Massachusetts. After his
graduation from high school, he entered his
father's employment, and spent twenty-five years



working in the lumber mill and ice factory which
had been established by his grandfather. He
was the proprietor of these properties at the
time of his death. October 6, 1921. He was a
member of the Maple Street Congregational
Church. He belonged to the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, and to the Rebekahs.

Mr. Putnam married Nettie M. Pitman. Mr.
and Mrs. Putnam had four children: Otis F., bom
in 1899; Lillian Francis, bom in 1905; Ruth and
Robert E., twins, bom in 1913.



EUGENE HORTON— The present active head
of one of the very old business houses of Lynn,
Massachusetts, is Eugene Horton, v/hose manage-
ment of the hat and fur business of Amos B.
Chase has placed that firm in the lead along this
line in the city of Lynn.

Eugene Horton was bom in Swampscott, Massa-
cliusetts, on July 5, 1871, and is a son of George
and Ellen Horton. After the death of his mother,
which occun-ed while he was still a very young
child, the boy was cared for by his grandmother.
He received a thoroughly pi-actical education in
the public schools of his native town, then, at the
age of sixteen years, entered the business world
in the employ of P. B. Mansfield & Company,
then owners of the business with which Mr. Hor-
ton has always been connected. This business was
established in 1830 by Samuel Mansfield, father
of P. B. Mansfield. Samuel Mansfield, the founder
of the business, was a man of remarkable am-
bition and physical endurance. He lived in Salem,
and it was his custom to walk to and from his
business in Lynn. The business passed out of
the hands of the younger Mr. Mansfield, being
purchased by Amos P. Chase. Since the death of
Mr. Chase, which occurred two years ago, Mr.
Hoi-ton has been the active head of the business,
and will eventually assume full control. This
house is an important one in their line, that of
furriers and hatters.

Mr. Horton is prominent outside his business-
He is a well known member of the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks, and is a member
of the Rotary Club, and of the Swampscott Club.
He also is a member of the Masonic ordei", and
a noble of Aleppo Temple.

Mr- Horton married Miss E. A. Cleary of Lynn,
Massachusetts.



FREDERICK W. LIBBY — For more than
twenty-five years Frederick W. Libby has been
a building contractor in Amesbury, and creditable
evidences of his ability as such are to be seen in
many places in the district. He has had a good
business, and a good lumber business in addition,
and has necessarily become widely known. Fred-
erick W. Libby was born in Gray. Maine, on
March 1, 18G7, son of Charies E. and Elizabeth
(Crocker) Libby- His father was of a Maine fam-
ily, bom in Gray on April 2, 1835, but his mother
■was born in Nova Scotia, on November 15, 1839.



BIOGRAPHICAL



259



Both lived to venerable age, Charles E. Libby. who
was a carpenter for the greater part of his life,
reaching the age of eighty-five years, death not
coming until 1920; and his wife died only three
years earlier, in 1917. Both were esteemed by a
wide circle of true friends.

Their son, Frederick W. Libby, grew to man-
hood in his native place. He was educated in the
public schools of Gray, Maine, and after leaving
school spent about two years in farming in his
home. For the next three years he did well as a
hauler, after which he associated with his father,
thereby learning the trade of carpenter, and gain-
ing a good knowledge of the building trade of
cai-penter, and gaining a good knowledge of the
building trade. Eventually, in 1888, he came to
Amesbuiy, and for the next seven years was in
the employ of Pike Bros., contractors of that
place. In 1895 he was in a position to enter
into business for himself. He did so in that
year, and has ever since been in independent
business. The name of F. W. Libby, builder and
contractor, and dealer in lumber, is, and for long
has been, well known in the district- Mr. Libby
is a Republican, but does not appear to have
keenly followed politics. At all events, he has not
taken public office, which his standing in the
community might have gained for him had he
been so disposed. His church is the Baptist, and
he has been a member of the Amesbury church
for many years.

He married (first), in 1888, Grace Hamilton, of
North Yarmouth, Maine. She was born in May,
1868, and died in 1903. In 1906, Mr. Libby mai-
ried (second), Grace G. Dow, of Salisbury, Massa-
chusetts. She was born on January 14, 1883. Mr.
Libby has four children, all born to his first
wife, they are: Harvey P., bora on September 11.
1889; Frederick Urban, bom November 22, 1892;
Preble Hamilton, born in October, 1895; and Wal-
ter Fred, bom March 1, 1899.



...WILLIAM F. FLYNN— The Flynn Coal Com-
pany of Salem, Massachusetts, was founded by
Maurice E. and William F. Flynn, sons of Maurice
and Anna (Joyce) Flynn, both bom in Ireland.
Maurice Flynn came to the United States in
youthful manhood, and settled in Salem, Massa-
chusetts, where he became a foreman of city em-
ployees. He died in Salem, March 28, 1893. He
manned Anna Joyce, who came from Ireland to
the United States in girlhood and spent most of
her life in Salem, where she died in 1885.

William F. Flynn was bom in Salem, Massa-
chusetts, January 20, 1877, and was there edu-
cated in the public schools. After leaving school
he secured employment in a shoe factory and there
continued until 1910, when, with his brother,
Maurice E., he founded the Flynn Coal Company,
of Salem, Massachusetts, and is conducting a
prosperous business.

The brothers are members of the New England
Coal Dealers' Association, and both are communi-



cants of the Church of the Immaculate Concep-
tion of Salem; the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks; Fraternal Order of Eagles; Cath-
olic Order of Foresters; Washington Associates,
and Father Mathew Total Abstinence and Benevol-
ent Society. They are good business men, and
very popular in the city in which their lives have
been spent.



HORACE MARTIN SALKINS— For many years
active in the shoe industry in Essex county, Massa-
chusetts, and latterly turning his business experi-
ence and ability to good account in the automobile
sei-vice business, Horace Martin Salkins is truly
representative of the energetic American business
man. Mr. Salkins is a son of James Young and
Mary Hanley (High) Salldns, of Marblehead.
James Y. Salkins was bom in West Newbury,
Massachusetts, and came to Marblehead when he
was a boy. He became a fisherman, and for many
years fished the grand banks. He died in 1919-
The mother died two years previously.

Horace Martin Salkins was bom in Marblehe". \
on December 20, 1875, and received his education
in the public schools of the town. He was inter-
ested in a business life, and upon his completion
of the school course, entered the shoe business as
a jobber, continuing along this line for about
twenty-five years. At the end of that time he
made a radical change in his field of effort, en-
tering the automobile business as manager of the
State Street Garage, of Marblehead. In this ex-
acting position Mr. Salkins is more than success-
ful. He is placing this business at the head in
its Une, and is being recognized as one of the
sig-nificant figures in the business world of Marble-
head of today. Mr. Salkins is a member of the
Free and Accepted Masons, and of the Independent
Order of Odd P^ellows. He is a member of St.
Michael's Episcopal Church.

In 1906 Mr. Salkins married Martha Redding
Goss, of Marblehead, daughter of George S- and
Etta (^yLlkins) Goss, of this place. Mr. Goss
was for many years a prominent grocer of Marble-
head, but died in 1911.



OWEN H. DALEY, partner in the automobile
supply business conducted under the trading name
of the Haverhill Tire Shop, was born in Saugus,
Massachusetts, but has spent the greater part of
his life in Haverhill. He was born on August
13, 1864, but was still in infancy when the family
took up residence in Haverhill, and the whole of
his schooling was obtained in the public schools
of that city. His parents, Owen and Rose (Mc-
Cabe) Daley, who both were boi-n in County
Armagh, Ireland, became American citizens,
though his father, who became connected with the
Massachusetts shoe industi-y, died in 1886, in
Haverhill. His mother is still living.

After leaving school, Owen H. Daley decided to
enter a shoe factory. His first employers were
Messrs. Field and Thayer, of Haverhill, but sub-



260



ESSEX COUNTY



sequently he was, for short periods, connected
with several local concerns at different times.
Eventually, however, he entered the employ of the
R. A. Splain Company, of Haverhill, that company
doing perhaps the largest mail order business in
spirituous liquors in New England. Daley served
that company for twenty years. In 1920, however,
he took up another line, and with a friend, Mr.
J. H. Cleary, bought Mr. Langelim's automobile
supply business in Haverhill, and then formed the
Haverhill Tire Shop Company to conduct and
expand it. They have a good business in auto
tires, make a specialty of Ford parts, carry a
general line of accessories and supplies, and main-
tain an efficient service station. Mr. Daley is a
Roman Catholic by religious belief; he is a mem-
ber of the local chapter of the Knights of Colum-
bus, and has for many years been identified with
the Ancient Order of Hibernians. He also be-
longs to the Loyal Order of Moose, and to the
Nonpariel Club. In his early manhood, he was
for three years a member of a militia unit of the
State.

In 1893 Mr. Daley married Katharine Toner, of
Dover, New Hampshire, daughter of Owen and
Bridget (Carbary) Toner, both of whom were of
Irish birth, the former deceased since 1900. Mr.
and Mrs. Daley have one daughter, Mary K.



in Andover, and attends St. Augustine's Church,
of that town-



JOHN F. McDONOUGH, contractor of Andover,
Massachusetts, was bom June 13, 1887, at North
Andover, son of Martin McDonough, a native of
Cork, Ireland, who died in 1920- The latter is sur-
vived by his wife, Katharine (Mahoney) Mc-
Donough, of Ireland, now Living in Andover.

Mr. McDonough attended the public schools of
North Andover, and was a member of the class
of 1903 at high school. He went to work for
J. D. Costello, a contractor, and was with him
for four years during which time he learned the
fundamentals of the business. For a year he
was engaged in business on his own account as a
merchant, and then returned to the conti-acting
line, working for E. W. Pitman. For the next
few years he held various positions and was fore-
man of the Street Department of the town of
Andover, for five years.

In 1913, he engaged in the contracting business
on his own account, and was attaining success
when the World War swept the country. He en-
listed and was assigned to the Quartermaster's De-
partment, and served through the war, being dis-
charged in March, 1919, with the rank of first
sergeant. When he returned to Andover. Mr. Mc-
Donough took up his contracting work and now
has added to it in many ways. He is one of
the leading men in his line in Andover and has
received many contracts from leading citizens for
the laying of walks and other similar work. Fra-
ternally Mr. McDonough is a member of the
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the
Knights of Columbus, the Andover Club, and the
New Independent Irish Club. He makes his home



CHARLES E. VALLIERE— Coming from a
family of inventors, it is not surprising that
Charles E. Valliere. a young and enterprising busi-
ness man of Lynn, Massachusetts, should also have
successfully entered the field of invention. The
motoi^driven ice sled he recently patented is likely
to bring him profit as well as prominence. A
demonstration of the sled in use was given by
Mr. Valliere in Lynn, and the Lynn "Item" car-
ried a very good description of the invention.

Charles E. Valliere was bom in Concord, New
Hampshire. April 23, 1898, the thirteenth of four-
teen children bom to Ferdinand J- and Amanda
(la Flaunne) Valliere- The family is of French-
Canadian antecedents, both parents being of Que-
bec, Canada, where they had a farming estate.
Both parents are still living, and of their fourteen
children seven were sons. It would seem that
the family came into Massachusetts early in the
boyhood of Charles E., for he was educated in
the public schools of Lynn, and eventually at the
Manual Training School, where he obtained the
diploma as mechanical draughtsman in graduating.
He was in educational work for some time, being
for two years in charge of the printing depart-
ment at Corbett School. In 1916, however, he
joined his three brothers in establishing the Wes-
tern Avenue (Lynn) Garage, the exact location be-
ing at No. 444 Western avenue. Their garage is
completed and up-to-date, with all the appliances
necessary for proper and efficient meeting of all
demands in service, gas, oil, and all machine re-
pairs.

The ice sled, of which Mr. Charles E. Valliere
is the inventor, has been before referred to here-
in, and it is not proper here to review the full
achievements in invention of the Valliere family,
but it may be stated that Alfonse Valliere, brother
of Charles E., has devised many instruments, and
has many patents now pending. He is interested
particularly in aviation, and has himself come into
public notice as an aviator. Another brother,
George, has applied his inventive aptitude to things
electrical, and is an authority on electrical devices.
They, the brothers Valliere, may all be placed in
the class of progressive young business men of
Lynn, where they are of course well-known. Mr.
Charles E. Valliere is a member of the Roman
Catholic Church, and of the Knights of Columbus
fraternity. He is unmarried.



GEORGE A. CHILDS, son of Martin W. and
Georgia S. (Whittier) Childs, was born in Deer-
field, New Hampshire, February 18, 1865. When
a young man he entered the undertaking business
in Haverhill, Massachusetts, and in 1895 became
the active partner in the firm of Dole & Childs.
whose undertaking establishment, located at 39
Main street, continued under his management until
his death on July 18. 1921. At the time of his



BIOGRAPHICAL



261



death his firm was the oldest of its kind in
Haverhill and had acquired a prestige that tes-
tified strongly to the usefulness and high standing
of Mr. Childs in his community. His profession
was one in which success is possible only to a man
who conducts it with a spirit of deep sympathy
with liis fellow-men and of devotion to their tragic
needs. Such a man was Mr. Childs; yet his
business sense was so practical, and his judgment
so reliable, that throughout his life he was con-
stantly expected to fill positions of responsibility
and to assume duties that are reserved for leaders.
Mr. Childs held membership in many fraternal
orders and clubs, and on boards and committees
of important institutions- He gave freely to the
poor with unostentatious charity, and treated
all men as his brothers. He was sui-vived by a
widow, Elizabeth V. (Tourtillotte) Childs, daugh-
ter of Josiah and Lura (BajTon) Tourtillotte, and
by a son, Edwai'd B. Childs, bom of a former
man-iage, now a student at Dartmouth College.
The following resolutions of the Haverhill Cham-
ber of Commerce amply testify to the esteem in
which Mr. Childs was held:

Haverhill Chamber of Commerce,
Haverhill, Massachusetts.

Resolutions: Whereas, in His wisdom the
All-loving Father has called to his Eternal Home
our friend and fellow-worker, George A. Childs;
and

Whereas, our departed brother was, for many
years, treasurer and a director of the Haverhill
Chamber of Commerce, eminently faithful in his
office of trust, active and helpful in the delibera-
tions and achievements of the board of direc-
tors; high-minded, amiable and of gentle man-
ners; in his daily vocation ministering tenderly
to the bereaved; loyal to Haverhill, an upholder
of organized community effort, a good citizen;
Therefore, be it

Resolved, that the Directors of the Haverhill
Chamber of Commerce herein record their grief
at the passing of their one-time associate and
their heartfelt sympathy with those dear to him
who are left behind. And, be it further

Resolved, that these resolutions be conveyed
to the family of the deceased, and that a copy
be spread upon the records of tliis Chamber.

The Directors of the Haverhill Chamber of
Commerce.

by (signed) FRED W. HEARS,

President and Director.
Haverhill, Mass.,

July 21, 1921.



PERLEY H. HARGRAVES. owner of a good
auto-trimming business in Merrimac, was born in
Haverhill, Massachusetts, on October 17, 1887, son
of Frank H. Hargraves, a trader of Merrimac, and
Minnie (Miller) Hargraves, who died in 189-4, and
who was of a Haverhill family-

In his boyhood and youth he attended the pub-
lic schools of Haverhill, eventually graduating
from the high school. Thereafter, for a couple
of years, he was in the employ of Haverhill
druggists, spending about a year with George E.



Crane, and a like period with George P. Holden.
After leaving Mr. Holden, he went to Merrimac,
and entered into an entirely different line. For
the next three years he worked for the Walker
Carriage Company, of Merrimac, leaving that firm
so that he might work for the J. B. Judkins Com-
pany, of same place. A year later, he went to
Medford, Massachusetts, where for a short time
he was in the employ of the Teel Manufacturing
Company. Next, for a while, he was in Waltham,
Massachusetts, working in the plant of the Metz
Automobile Company, and following that, he was
for about a year in Amesbury, where he was
connected with the Biddle & Smart Company of
that place- Returning to Merrimac, he found oc-
cupation in the plant of the Memmac Body Com-
pany, with which company he remained for about
a year. At the end of that time he was per-
suaded to enter into business for himself, and for
the next eighteen months he gave his time wholly
to the management of a restaurant he had pur-
chased. However, it did not seem to promise as
substantial an advantage as should come in fol-
lowing the automobile business, so he gave up
the restaurant, and opened business for liimself
as an auto t.-immer, in Merrimac- The enterprise
is developing satisfactorily.

Mr- Hargraves is a Republican, though he has
not actively followed politics. He is a member of
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Riverside
Lodge, of Merrimac, and the Loyal Order of
Moose, of Haverhill. During t! -^ stress of the
World War, when all the men of draft age were
drawn from State troops into ttie federal forces,
Mr- Hargi-aves enlisted in the Massachusetts State
Guard, serving in Company D, of the Sixteenth
Regiment, for two years, as a private.

He was married on March 29, 1913, to Annie
Mary Pease, who was bom in Merrimac on March
29, 1885, to James and Mattie (Heath) Pease.
The mother of Mrs- Hargraves died in 1917, but
the father is still actively in business president of
the James Pease Company, of Merrimac, carriage
makers- Mr. and Mrs. Har;_,;:;ves are members
of the Congregational church, in fact, the Har-
gTaves family have been Congregationalists for
several generations- Rev- Daniel R. Hargiaves,
grandfather of Pevley H. Hargraves, was for many
years in ministerial charge in Hiverliill, retiring
in old age.



LEROY BENJAMIN PATTERN, postmaster
and enterprising merchant of Rocks Village, near
MeiTimac, Massachusetts, is a native of the place,
bom there on March 18, 1897- His grandfather,
John Pattern, lived in Menimac pi'actically the
whole of his life, which ended in 1920. His grand-
mother, IMargaret (Stewart) Pattern, was of West
Newbui-y. She is still living. His father, Ben-
jamin P. P. Pattern was bom in Merrimac, and
was in merchandising business there until his
death, in 1908- His mother. Flora M. (Osborne)
Pattern, was born in Rocks Village, where she



262



ESSEX COUNTY



still lives. So that the Pattern family is well
known in the Merrimac district. LeRoy B. Pat-
tern was educated in the village schools, and at
Merrimac. When liis schooldays were over, he
found employment in the ^ocery store of Horace
Emery, remaining with him for about a year. For
the next five years he was in government sei-vice,
as mail carrier, leaving at the end of that time



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 5 of 56)