Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 50 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 50 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was born there, December 5, 1877, son of James W.
Briggs, also a native of Amesbury, who was born Octo-
ber 25, 1832, and died June 18, 1890. The latter was
engaged in mercantile pursuits in Amesbury for many
years, and married Almira A. Cowden, born there,
April 22, 1834. The son was educated in the public
schools and graduated from the high school in the class
of 1896, soon afterward entering the employ of the
Briggs Carriage and Street Car Company, where he
learned the trade of electrician. After three years he
resigned from this work and became associated with his
uncle, George H. Briggs, in the insurance business,
later being admitted a partner to the agency which had
been established in 1866, and which to-day is the oldest
insurance agency in Amesbury. The partnership existed
until 1903, when George L. Briggs purchased the busi-
ness from his uncle. Since that time, during a period
of nearly twenty years, he has conducted a steadily
growing business, under the orginal name, Briggs Insur-
ance Agency. In connection with the insurance end of
the business Mr. Briggs opened a real estate depart-
ment, which has steadily grown with each year, and at
the present time (1922) has business connections with
thirty of the leading insurance companies of the country.



BIOGRAPHICAL



479



Mr. Briggs has also taken a very active part in the
public affairs of Amesbury and as a member of the
RepiibHcan party, he has served in many public offices,
discharging his duties in a most commendable manner.
Since igi2. he has been chairman of the Republican
Town Committee: in 1919, he was elected to represent
his district at the General Court, and was reelected in
1920 to serve until 1922. For several years he has been
a member of the Finance Committee and was a member
of the new high school building committee. He is treas-
urer of the Bartlett Cemetery Association, and trustee
of the \anen Building Trust: a member and past grand
of Powow River Lodge: trustee of Phintias Lodge,
since 1914; member of Warren Lodge, Free and Ac-
cepted Masons: and of several other local organizations.
Mr. Briggs. with his family, attends and aids in the
support of the Congregational Church, of Amesbury,
which he serves as a member of the board of trustees.

In 1904, Mr. Briggs married Mary Elizabeth Clark,
born at Amesbury, November 26, 1877, and they are
the parents of the following children: George L., bom
August 21, 1905: Richard C, born January 9, 1912;
Mary Elizabeth, born May 14, 1914.



ABRAHAM LIVINGSTON— Born in far-away Po-
land, Europe, then a vassal, now again a free nation, Mr.
Livingston e.xperienced all the rigors of autocratic rule
before leaving the land of his birth to seek the freedom
found beneath the banner of England in Canada, and
later under Old Glory in the L'nited States. He re-
turned to Poland as a bearer of good tiding of America,
but did not remain ; he is now again in the city of his
adoption, Salem, Massachusetts.

.Abraham Livingston was born in Poland, Europe,
March 10, 1881, and there, when six years of age, was
sent to a religious school, which he attended for three
years. He started to work at the age of nine years and
was engaged in farming until 1900, when he was called
for military service. He continued in the army until
1904, when he received a full discharge. He then left
Poland, and crossed the seas to St. John, New Bruns-
wick, Canada, arriving February 5, 1904. He settled in
Digby, Nova Scotia, where he peddled dry goods and
clothing, mostly from farm to farm, continuing in that
line about one year, spending many nights at farm
houses, where the children taught him to read and write
English. He then sold out and in 1905 located in Salem,
Massachusetts, where he was in the provision business
until 1912. In that year he started in business in Bev-
erly, Massachusetts, where he began business as the
American Coke & Charcoal Company. The latter part
of the same year Mr. Livingston returned to Salem,
where he bought out C. A. Bissell and formed a cor-
poration, the American Coke & Charcoal Company, the
incorporators being: Abraham Livingston, secretary;
Jacob Macknalsky, president: Himan Freedburg, treas-
urer. In 1914 Mr. Livingston bought out his partners
and conducted the business under the same name until
191 7, when the corporation was dissolved, and he con-
tinued as the American Coke & Charcoal Company, of
Salem, Abraham Livingston, sole owner. He has since
then continued the coal and charcoal business in Salem
and has been very successful.



Mr. Livingston is a member of the Knights of Py-
thias, and a member of the Congregation Sons of Jacob,
Salem. He is president of the Zionist Association of
Salem, and one of the leading Zionists of his city. On
February 20, 1920, he went abroad as worker for the
Jewish Relief, and as an observer to report on condi-
tions as he found them. He was also entrusted with
money given him in the United States to deliver to
relatives of the givers. On this mission he also repre-
sented the Carmon Kimball Company, bankers of
Salem, and the First State Bank, of Boston. He re-
mained in Europe until July, 1920, then returned, reach-
ing New York, July 17. At a mass meeting called for
the purpose, Mr. Livingston gave an account of his
mission and of conditions as he found them in Europe,
after visiting Poland, Germany and Belgium. After
making this report, Mr. Livingston returned to Salem,
where he resumed the management of his private busi-
ness.

.\braham Livingston married, in 1909, Esther B.
Freedburg, of Poland, and they are the parents of two
sons: Maurice and Arthur.



ADOLPH ST. LINGER was born at Reichenbach,
Silesia, Germany, September 30, i860, a son of .August
and Pauline (Heine) St. Linger. His father, who was
born in Germany in 18,^6, was engaged in business as a
contractor until his death in 1862. His mother, who
was born in Germany, in 1836, survived her husband.
She died in 1918.

Mr. St. Linger received his early education in the
public schools of his native city, and after graduating
from the college of Breslau, spent about three years en-
gaged in commerce. In 1881 he decided to seek his for-
tune in a new country and accordingly came to the
L'nited States. He settled in Lawrence, Massachusetts,
where he has lived ever since. He first became an in-
structor in a private school at Lawrence, spending three
years in teaching. At the end of that period he decided
to seek a change of employment and accepted a position
with the Warren Cotton Mills of Massachusetts. He
spent three years in their service, as designer. In 1892
he left the Warren Cotton Mills and formed a connec-
tion with the Everett Mills. He has already completed
twenty-nine years of continuous service as a designer
for the Everett Mills and is still actively engaged in the
duties of his position.

During the World War, Mr. St. Linger was chair-
man of the Eastern Division of German Americans.
He took an active part in all the Liberty Loan cam-
paigns conducted by the United States Government, and
was actively engaged in many governmental enterprises
for the successful conduct of the war. He is a member
of the Lutheran church. In politics he is a Republican.
He belongs to the Turner and Hermans Sons' Society.

Mr. St. Linger married Annie Frank, in 1881. Mrs.
St. Linger was born in Germany. March 25, 1861, and
is still living. Mr. and Mrs. St. Linger have five chil-
dren: Frederick A.. Hans F., Lena A., Otto F.. and
Arno F. St. Linger. Two of Mr. St. Linger's sons
were engaged in active service during the World War.
Hans F. St. Linger served in the Naval Aviation Corps
of the United States navy, and was first-class machinist



48o



ESSEX COUNTY



mate at the time ci his discharge from the service.
Amo F. St. Linger served in the United States army,
artillery, during the years 1917 and 1918, and was a
first-class private at the time of his discharge from the
service. At the present time he is engaged in the pho-
tography business. He is the proprietor and manager of
the Seeton Studio, at Lawrence.



WILLIAM SANFORD WOODBURY— Promi-
nent in the Textile industry of Essex county, William
Sanford Woodbury, of Newburyport, has won his way
to his present position by thorough knowledge acquired
by practical methods.

Mr. Woodbury was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts,
May 24, 1875, and is a son of Moses and Emma Jane
(Grimes) Woodbury. Receiving his early education in
the public schools of his native city, and later being
graduated from Cannon's Commercial College, Mr.
Woodbury thereafter attended the Lowell Textile
School, from which he was graduated in 1900. He
began work, however, before taking up his technical
studies, his first employment being with the Pacific
Mills, of Lawrence, as clerk in their ofiRce, where he
remained for six years. During this period he learned
the various operations of the mill, and gained a good
knowledge of the business. Later he was overseer of
the carding department of the Millville Manufacturing
Company, at Millville, New Jersey, then with the Dana
Warp Mills, at Westbrook, Maine, then with the Ors-
wald Mills, of Fitchburg, Massachusetts. He came to
Newburyport, in 191 1, as superintendent of the carding
room in the factory with which he is still connected.
Then in 1917 Mr. Woodbury became agent of the Bay
State Cotton Corporation, which responsible position
he still ably fills. This concern manufactures fine fab-
rics, special ducks, and fine sail cloth, the product reach-
ing a very extensive market. Mr. Woodbury is a mem-
ber of the Free and Accepted Masons, and is a mem-
ber of the Dalton Club, the Textile Club, and of the
National Association of Cotton Manufacturers. He is
a member of the Calvary Baptist Church, of Lawrence,
Massachusetts.

On September 8. 1S97, Mr. Woodbury married Ethel
M., daughter of Albert W. and Marie S. (Thompson)
Brainerd. Mr. and Mrs. Woodbury have two daugh-
ters: Gwendolyn, born January 30, 1903, and Lorraine,
born March 9, 1909.



FRED JEWELL THOMPSON, JR., a native of

Haverhill, Massachusetts, is now connected with one of
the promising garage businesses of the city, being treas-
urer of the Thompson, Martin Company, Inc., to which
firm other reference has been elsewhere made in this
work. • He was born in Haverhill, on September 10,
1893, son of Fred Jewell and Cora Belle (Walker)
Thompson, the former born in Sanford, Maine, and the
latter in New Durham Plains, New Hampshire. The
Thompson family, however, has been resident in Haver-
hill for several decades, the father being a local shoe
manufacturer. The son received his elementary and
high school education in Haverhill, graduating from
Haverhill High School, class of 1913. Soon afterwards
he went to Boston, and took the commercial course at



the Bryant and Stratton Business College there, .^fter
graduation he returned to his native place and for the
next four years worked in his father's shoe factory,
after which he took up the raising of pure-bred live
stock with some success apparently, for he still con-
tinues the enterprise. However, he recently, on April 25,
1921, joined Orville A. Martin in a business venture, the
two purchasing the automobile garage service repair
business of H. J. Collins, at No. 62 Elm street, Haver-
hill, where the new owners have since traded as a cor-
porate concern, known as the Thompson. Martin Com-
pany, Inc. There is evidence that the business, which
was already substantial when Messrs. Thompson and
Martin acquired it, is being expanded appreciably by
the enterprising young men now in control. Mr. Thomp-
son is well known in Haverhill, especially in Masonic
circles. He has advanced to the thirty-second degree in
that order, and is a member of all the Haverhill Ma-
sonic bodies. Socially, he belongs to the Pentucket
Club. His church is the Methodist, he being a mem-
ber of the Haverhill Methodist Episcopal Church.

He was married, in 1917, to Marion Wallace Evans,
of Haverhill, daughter of Thomas J. Evans, a native
of Haverhill, and connected with the local shoe manu-
facturing industry until his death, which occurred in
1920, and of Annie G. (Hall) Evans, of W'est New-
bury, Massachusetts. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson reside
at No. 5 Quimby street, Haverhill.



JOHN T. JANSON— For thirty-four years identi-
fied with tlie Mcrrimac Paper Company, of Lawrence,
Massachusetts, John T. Janson has worked his way
upward from an operator to the position of superin-
tendent of the plant, which position he now holds. Mr.
Janson is skilled in the art of papermaking, having
learned this trade in his home country of Sweden, and
perfected his art in Germany. He was born at Goth-
enburg, Sweden, December i, 1859, son of Carl Janson,
also a papermaker in Sweden, who died in 1863. The
mother of Mr. Janson was Sophia Larsen, also of Swe-
den, and she died in 1912.

John T. Janson attended the public schools of Sweden
and the school which is equivalent to the high school
of America. He had been interested in the trade of
papermaking from childhood through association with
his father's occupation, and he became an apprentice to
this trade after completing school. To further perfect
his trade, and in order to learn other methods of manu-
facture, Mr. Janson went to Germany and made a study
of the methods used there. An interesting fact of his
career as an apprentice is that it was the factory where
he was employed that the process of making sulphite
was invented and perfected. This product was marketed
in 1876, and eleven years later, in 1S87, Mr. Janson
came to America and to Lawrence, and entered the em-
ploy of the Merrimac Paper Company, of which plant
he is now superintendent as above stated. Mr. Janson
is a member of the Masons, and of the Order of Vasa.

Mr. Janson married in 1892, at Lawrence, Levida
Jacobson, of Sweden, and they are the parents of two
children: Ebba M., born in 1894; and John C, born in
1896. The latter attended school in Lawrence, and was
in the class of 1913 at the high school there. Subse-



BIOGRAPHICAL



481



quently he spent a year at Phillips Academy, and one
year at the Rhode Island State College. He then entered
the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, spending two
years there. Mr. Janson then entered the employ of
the Merrimac Paper Company, and in 1919 was ap-
pointed assistant superintendent of the plant, being his
father's assistant. Mr. Janson is a member of the Ma-
sonic order, and of the fraternity. Delta Alpha Psi, and
with his parents attends the Lutheran church.



FRANK E. GAGE, one of the most enterprising citi-
zens of Lawrence, Massachusetts, and who can always
be depended upon to give his aid, in time or other ways,
to any movement for the general welfare, holds a place
high in the esteem of his fellow-citizens. Mr. Gage was
born August 13, 1876, in Methuen, Massachusetts, one
of three children born to Cyrus B. and Josephine A.
(Silver) Gage, both natives of New Hampshire, who later
moved to Methuen, Massachusetts, where Cyrus B.
Gage was engaged in the express business.

Frank E. Gage attended school in Methuen, and after
completing the high school course obtained employment
in the shoe store owned by George H. Woodman, in
Lawrence. For seven years he was a clerk, and dur-
ing this time made many friends among the store cus-
tomers through his genial manner and courteous treat-
ment. Tl'.e following two years Mr. Gage spent as
traveling salesman for the Thomas A. Edison Company,
his territory being through the Southern States. After
his return to Lawrence, he worked for various concerns,
in all gaining more experience and adding to his store
of knowledge. In February, 1918, he entered the em-
ploy of the Champion International Company, where he
is now one of the valued employes of the otTice depart-
ment.

Mr. Gage married Lizzie P. Edmester, of Lawrence,
January 7, 1904, and they are the parents of a daughter,
Mildred Ruth, born October 6, 191 1. The family at-
tends the L'niversalist church.



FRANK L. SINGER— Actively engaged in one of
the most necessary public service industries, Frank L.
Singer is bearing a part in the general welfare. Mr.
Singer was born in Essex, August 18, 1889, and is a
son of James J. and Kate (Smith) Singer. The elder
Mr. Singer was for many years active in the shipbuild-
ing industry.

As a boy Frank L. Singer acquired a thorough
grounding in the fundamentals of education at the pub-
lic schools of his native town, then entered the employ
of the Bay State railroad, with which company he was
continuously associated for about fifteen years. Since
then he has been engaged in the fish business on his own
account. Mr. Singer is a member of the Knights of
Pythias; his church membership is with the Congrega-
tional church.

Mr. Singer married, in 1913, Mary J. Burrows, of
West Gloucester, and they have one daughter, Bea-
trice E. They reside on Addison street, Essex.



His father was engaged as a farmer and spent his life
in \ew Hampshire. He was born at Concord, New
Hampshire, in 1841. Mr. Batchelder's mother was born
in 1840 at Concord, New Hampshire, and died in 1908.

Mr. Batchelder received his early education in the
public schools of Dunbarton, where he was born, and
after having completed his studies, decided to follow in
his father's footsteps by becoming a farmer. Accord-
ingly, he obtained employment on a neighboring farm
and spent two years in the pursuit of agriculture. At
the end of this period, however, he decided that an
occupation of a different sort would be better suited to
his tastes and abilities. He left Dianbarton, accord-
ingly, and moved to Lawrence, Massachusetts, where he
obtained employment with the Essex Company. He
spent one year in the service of the Essex Company,
and then accepted an offer of employment with the
Hamblett Machine Company. He spent five years work-
ing for the Hamblett Company in various capacities
and acquired a thorough knowledge of machinery. In
1904, after having served his time as a machinist with
this company, he became associated with the Pacific
Mills, retaining this position for several years.

In July, 1917, Mr. Batchelder enlisted in the United
States army as a private. He received a commission
as second lieutenant in the Massachusetts State Guard,
and served from November, 191 7, until November,
1920, as an officer of that organization. Mr. Batchelder
is a member of the Second Baptist Church, of Law-
rence, and has served as president of the brotherhood
for a term of two years. In politics, he is a Republican.
Fle is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows, and belongs to the encampment of the Rebekahs
and the Grand Lodge. He has been secretary of the
Merrimack Lodge since 1915.

He married Louise E. Spencer, of Clambridge, Massa-
chusetts, in 1905. Mrs. Batchelder was born at Cam-
bridge on December 21, 1883. Mr. and Mrs. Batchelder
have one daughter, Vera Spencer Batchelder, who was
born on October 15, 1910.



CHARLES C. BATCHELDER was born at Dun-
barton, New Hampshire, on December 5, 1881, and is a
son of George D. and Jennie M. (Clough) Batchelder.

Essex — 2 — 31



CHARLES E. ROUNDEY— A lifetime resident of
Marblehead, Massachusetts, and always active in some
line of practical endeavor, Charles E. Roundey Is
broadly representative of the sturdy manhood which
contributes so large a share to the prosperity and prog-
ress of the community.

Charles E. Roundey was born in Marblehead, Massa-
chusetts, June 14, 1845. He received his education in
the public schools of the day, gaining a thorough
grounding in the essentials of education, then at an
early age entered the world of industry. His first work
was in connection with the shipping at the docks. But
he had scarcely begun life before the Civil War broke
out. Although only a boy of sixteen, he was fired with
patriotic zeal, and succeeded in enlisting for service in
the United States army. He was a member of Com-
pany B, 23rd Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer In-
fantry, but was later transferred to Company G, of
the First Heavy Artillery. He served as a non-commis-
sioned officer throughout the period of the war, and
received an honorable discharge late in the year 1865.
After his return to civilian life, Mr. Roundey was



482



ESSEX COUNTY



always connected either with the shipping or the fishing
interests of Marblehead. He was for many years a
member of John Goodwin Post, Grand Army of the
Republic, of Marblehead. His religious membership was
with St. Michael's Episcopal Church.

Mr. Roundey married, April 2, 1872, Mary T. Bow-
den, of Marblehead, and they were the parents of two
children : Augustus Knight, who married Georgia Nick-
erson, of Nova Scotia ; and Levina Langley, who is
new the wife of Charles E. Clapp, of Lynn.



WILLIAM E. BAILEY, ice merchant, of George-
town, Massachusetts, was born there on December 2,
1881, the son of Forest E. and Mary (Berry) Bailey.
His mother was originally of Reading, Massachusetts,
but his father, who is still living (1922), was a farmer
at Rowley for a time. After attending the local public
schools and doing some work on the home farm, Mr.
Bailey worked for H. Harriman for two years, after
which he decided to work independently as a teamster
and hauling contractor. He did a satisfactory business
at such occupations for many years, but eventually he
joined Wallace Adams, and they acquired the ice busi-
ness of Edward Lee in 1918. That business they had
conducted until April, 1922, with satisfactory results,
when they sold out to Davis Hemion.

Mr. Bailey married, in 1909, Priscilla Poole, daughter
cf William and Susan Evaline (Reed) Poole, of Row-
ley, where the former is in the shoe business. Mrs.
Poole, however, was born in Newburyport. Mr. and
Mrs. Bailey have five children: Gertrude, William, Jr.,
Charles, Ruth, and Marion.



ANDREW C. REID was born at Summer Hill,
Queens county. New Brunswick, Canada, November 3,
1866. He completed grammar school courses, and has
spent his adult years engaged as a farmer. He has been
a resident of the United States since March 28, 1891,
now resides at No. 210 Conant street, Danvers, Massa-
chusetts. He is a member of Danvers Grange, Patrons
of Husbandry. He belongs to the Presbyterian church
in Summer Hill, New Brunswick. He married, in New-
ton Center, Massachusetts, December 5, 1895, Rose
King, daughter of William and Sarah King. Mr. and
Mrs. Reid are the parents of five children : Alma Estes,
born April 7, 1897, at Newton Center ; Mary Rita, born
April 6, 1899, at Newton Center ; William Thomas, born
September 11, 1901, at Newton; Wendell, born Novem-
ber 3, 1906, in Salem; Sinia Rose, born November 27,
1908, in Salem.



Island; and Clifford, in the United States navy, and
located at Portsmouth Navy Yard.

Born August 20, 1898, Earle Fletcher Ramsbottom re-
ceived a practical education in the public schools of his
native town, then entered the employ of the Kent Manu-
fr:cturing Company, of Centerville, Rhode Island, re-
maining until 1917. Then enlisting in the United States
navy, he was assigned to the United States Steamship
"Uclaware." He was overseas for nine months, on duty
in the North Sea, and was discharged in August, 1919.
Within the month he came to Essex, where he estab-
li:^hed himself in the grocery business, which has since
been a constantly growing interest, and is now a flour-
ishing business.

Mr. Ramsbottom married, in 1920, Abbie Hoskins,
and they attend the Baptist church.



MILDRED FENNELLY. who had charge for a
time of the New York Waist Shop at Haverhill, Massa-
chusetts, is a native of that city, born there November
13. 1899, daughter of James Stephen and Catherine (Mc-
Fadden) Fennelly, of Haverhill. The former died in
1915, but Mrs. Fennelly is still living in Haverhill.

Mildred Fennelly was educated in the parochial
schools, those of St. James' Parish, of Haverhill. Even-
tually, Miss Fennelly graduated from St. James' High
School, and soon thereafter entered upon a business life.
Her first employers were the Wingate Shoe Company,
and she was secretary for that firm. She remained
with them, however, only a short while, leaving to enter
the employ of Haseltine & Colby, of Haverhill. She
was there engaged in general office work, but again only
for a little while, for she soon found better opportunity
with the James Fennelly Shoe Finding Company. From
1918 until 1920 she remained so employed, but in the
latter year accepted an appointment as manager of a



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 50 of 56)