Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 52 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 52 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


end of that period, he resigned his position in order to
become foreman of the machine shop at the Ayer Mills,
Lawrence, Massachusetts. Two years later, in 191 1, he
became master mechanic of the Ayer Mills and has held
this position ever since. He attends the Protestant
Episcopal church, of Andover. In politics he is a Re-
publican. He belongs to the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks.

Mr. Lawson married Gertrude A. Hamlin in 191 1.
Mrs. Lawson was born in Methuen, Massachusetts, Jan-
uary 9, 1883. Mr. and Mrs. Lawson have no children.



GEORGE C. BEST is a native of Bradford, Eng-
land, the country which has been the birthplace of many
of the leading mill authorities in the country. He was
born there March s, 1882, son of Samuel Best, born at
Croix, France, and many years engaged in textile lines,
and Sarah A. (Stowell) Best, a native of Bradford.
The family came to Philadelphia in 1902, and resided
there about ten years, then went to Hudson, Massachu-
setts, where they now reside, the senior Mr. Best hav-
ing occupied the position of mill superintendent in both
cities.

After completing his schooling in the schools of his
native town, George C. Best went into the mills and
learned the textile industry, coming to the United States
in 1902, located for twenty years in Philadelphia and
vicinity, for sixteen years of that time in the employ of
James Lees & Sons Company, at Norristown, Pennsyl-
vania. After leaving there he came to Lawrence, in
September, 1921, where he entered the employ of the
Wood Mills, of that city, as superintendent.

Mr. Best is one of the best-informed men in textile
lines in the East and is highly esteemed among his con-
temporaries. He is a member of the Republican party.
While a resident of Norristown he was made a member
of Norristown Lodge, No. 620, Free and Accepted Ma-
sons ; and Norristown Chapter, No. 190, Royal Arch
Masons ; he is also a member of the Sons of St. George,
of Philadelphia.

Mr. Best married, in 1907, Ellen Jane Barraclough,
born at Bradford, August 12, 1880, and their only child,
George Edgar, was born December i, 191 1. The family
attend the Episcopal church, of Lawrence.



CHARLES J. WEYMOUTH was born in Clinton,
Maine, about 1837, son of Harry and Mary Betsey Wey-
mouth, also natives of Maine. He served in the Civil
War, holding the rank of lieutenant, and was wounded
by a gunshot in the leg. Practically all of his active life
was spent at work in cotton mills. Mr. Weymouth mar-
ried Susan E. Thorne, born at Baldwin, Maine, October
27, 1844, daughter of Isaac and Eliza Thorne. The chil-
dren of Mr. and Mrs. Weymouth were: i. Harry, born
February 14, 1873, now a contractor and builder in

Haverhill ; married Mary E. , born in Gilliard,

Maine, April 12, 1872. 2. Herbert A., a resident of Cal-
ifornia. 3. George E., a carpenter, and a resident of
Maine.



BIOGRAPHICAL



487



NATHAN H. LABOVITZ, who is among the ex-
service men of Lynn, Massachusetts, and a merchant in
the town, is succeeding well in the line he has chosen to
follow, automobile tires and supplies. He was born in
Russia, December 15, 1895. His father, Joseph Labo-
vitz, was a prominent merchant in Russia, and, like so
many people in that sorely-disturbed country, has had
many stirring experiences during the years since 1914,
when Germany set the whole world at war. At one
time during the war, Joseph Labovitz was held as a civil
prisoner in Germany, and used by the Germans as an
interpreter.

Nathan H. Labovitz came to this country. May 25,
1912. Part of his schooling had been obtained in Russia,
but soon after settling in Lynn he became a student at
the local public school. Immediately after leaving
school, he went into business for himself at No. 603
Summer street. Lynn, and there for six years he did
moderately well as a clothier and haberdasher. When
the United States entered the World War, he made plans
to close his private affairs and enlist in the national
forces. He enlisted in the United States Navy, in 1918,
and was assigned to the Naval Intelligence Department
at Boston, with the rank of machinist. He was in serv-
ice until March 6, 1919, being then honorably discharged
in the grade of machinist. Soon thereafter he returned
to Lynn, and again entered business there, opening a
store at No. 118 Centra! street. This time, however, he
dealt in entirely different lines. He now is in the auto-
mobile supply business, specializing in auto tires, and
with good success, apparently, for it is said that he is
the second largest dealer in automobile tires in the Lynn
district. He carries a complete line of auto tires, acces-
sories, and general supplies, and endeavors to give satis-
faction. Withal, he is well known in Lynn, and has
taken an active interest in several public movements in
the town. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias
and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Labo-
vitz is unmarried.



FRANK CHIOFOLO— Coming from his native
land of Italy, and making his home in the United States,
Frank Chiofolo, of Lynn, Massachusetts, has become
identified, of recent years, with the shoe industry as a
manufacturer. He is now part owner of the Cliftondale
Shoe Company, of Lynn.

Mr. Chiofolo was born at Villa Sangiovanni, Province
of Di Reggio, Calabria, Italy, and was educated in his
native city. At the age of seventeen years he came to
the United States, locating in New York City, later
taking out his citizen's papers in Boston. He later
removed to Lynn, and having been connected with the
shoe industry ever since coming to this country, he fol-
lowed this branch of activity here. In April, 1919, he
became a partner in the Cliftondale Shoe Company, in
association with Edwin Anderson, of Chelsea, Massachu-
setts, and Charles Hall, of Salem. The business was
prosperous from the beginning, and is now an estab-
lished success, going forward in every way, and taking
rank with long prominent firms. Mr. Chiofolo takes an
active part in the management of the business.

On March 30, 1897, Mr. Chiofolo married Mary Cata-
lano. who was also born at Villa Sangiovanni, and they
are the parents of six children : Anthony, Flora, Wini-



fred, David, Francis, and Stella. The family are mem-
bers of the Roman Catholic church, of Saugus.

Anthony Chiofolo, eldest son of Mr. Chiofolo, enlisted
in the United States army, December 2, 191 7. He was
stationed in Boston Harbor until September 28, 1918,
when he sailed for France. He died on board ship,
October 4, igi8, and was buried at sea. He was a mem-
ber of the 73rd Coast Artillery.



ADAM MARONCELLL of Haverhill, Massachu-
setts, where he is in business for himself as a motor-
cycle agent and repairer, also as a dealer in supplies and
accessories, was born in Forli, Italy, on November 29,
1891, son of Paolo and Adella (Barbeirier) Maroncelli,
and grandson of Simon Maroncelli. By religious faith
the family is Catholic, and it is only the last generation
that has come to America.

Paolo Maroncelli, father of Adam Maroncelli, was
born in Italy, in 1853, a"d is still living there. His life
has been spent mainly in farming, and to him and his
wife have been born seven children, four sons and three
daughters. Adam Maroncelli attended the public school
in his native place, the course being equivalent, perhaps,
to that of our elementary school, but was not very old
when he came to this country. He worked for his
brother, who had a bicycle store, for four years, and in
1913 came to Haverhill, where for three years he worked
for F. E. Leavitt, doing contract work in his shoe fac-
tory. For some time afterwards he was in the employ
of Mr. Dudley, but in 1919 he decided to venture into
business for himself in Haverhill, and having secured
an agency for a good motorcycle, he opened a store at
No. 181 River street, Haverhill, where he has since
done a good business in the sale of motorcycles and
accessories, and in repairs and service. For a short
period before coming to this country Mr. Maroncelli was
in military service.

On October 3, 1915, at Lawrence, Massachusetts,
Adam Maroncelli married Louise Sevinalli. She was
born in Italy, in 1894, the daughter of Joseph Sevinalli,
who is a guard in an Italian prison. Mr. and Mrs.
Maroncelli have a son, Albert, who was born on July
17, 1 916.



MICHAEL J. RYAN, manager of the Newbury-
port district for the Samson Steam Laundry Company,
was born in Amesbury, Massachusetts, October 13, 1879,
son of James M. Ryan, a native of County Cork, Ire-
land, where he was born in 1864, and after becoming a
resident of Amesbury, was engaged in the automobile
business. James M. Ryan married Nora Keeley, of Gal-
way, Ireland, born in 1866, died in 1904.

Michael J. Ryan was educated in the parochial and
high schools of Amesbury, and his first position was
with the Standard Thermometer Company, where he re-
mained eight years, rising to the position of assistant
superintendent. Mr. Ryan entered the laundry business
in the employ of H. L. Bailey, of Amesbury, and after
two years' experience secured the position he now holds.

In politics Mr. Ryan is a Republican, and is a mem-
ber of the Knights of Columbus and of the American
Legion. During the World War he enlisted in the
United States army, June 15, 1918, in the Second Com-
pany, Coast Artillery, and was stationed at Fort Han-



488



ESSEX COUNTY



cock, New York, until his discharge in May, 1919, with
the rank of mechanic.

Mr. Ryan married, in 1917, Mildred George, born May
25. 1897, at Haverhill, Massachusetts, and they are the
parents of a son, Joseph W., born February 28, 1930.

ROY H. BRADFORD— Very often we find among
the executive heads of large corporations or in leading
public office the descendants of those worthy men who
first came to this land and who through their endurance
of the hardships and dangers laid the foundation of
many of the things which have since made this country
one of the most desirable on the globe. Roy H. Brad-
ford, general superintendent of the Smith & Dove Com-
pany, of Andover, Massachusetts, is a direct descendant
in the tenth generation of the first governor of the Ply-
mouth colonies. Governor William Bradford, and it
seems particularly fitting that he should be engaged in
carrying on important work entailed by the office he
holds.

Mr. Bradford was born October 31, 1882, son of the
Rev. Park A. Bradford, now living retired at Scranton,
Pennsylvania, and Lillian A. (Welch) Bradford. His
education was obtained in the public schools and at the
Lowell Textile School, graduating in the class of 1906.
His first position was with the Smith & Dove Company,
a? assistant superintendent, and in 1919 he was made
general superintendent of the entire plant, having under
his supervision si.x hundred men.

Mr. Bradford is a member of the school board of
Andover, and is also active in church work there. He
is treasurer of the Congregational church, and is also
a member of its board of trustees. For two years Mr.
Bradford was a member of the Massachusetts National
Guard, Company H, l6th Regiment, and his fraternal
connections are with the Free and Accepted Masons,
and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.

Mr. Bradford married, in 1908, Bertha S. Swanton, of
Lowell, daughter of A. F. Swanton, of Dexter, Maine,
for many years connected with the Sterling Mills and
for fifteen years agent of these mills, and Mattie A.
(Upton) Swanton, of Andover. Mr. and Mrs. Brad-
ford are the parents of three children: William S., born
in 1909; Edward H., born in 191 1; Robert C, born in
1921. The family attend the Congregational church.



WILLIAM F. WALKER, assistant master mechanic
of the Wood Worsted Mills, of Lawrence, Massachu-
setts, was born January 27, 1883, at Lancashire, Eng-
land, son of James H. Walker, a native of Liverpool,
England, and at present holding the position of master
mechanic of the E. Frank Lewis Wool Scouring Mill,
of Lawrence. Mr. Walker's mother, Mary E. (Yates)
Walker, is a native of Bolton, Lancashire, England.

Mr. Walker attended school in Lawrence, whence his
parents had removed when he was but a child, and later
entered the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, grad-
uating in the class of 1906, with the degree of Bachelor
of Science, and soon after this time, entered the employ
of the firm, of whose plant he is now assistant master
mechanic. During the time he was attending school
Mr. Walker served his apprenticeship as a mechanic
with E. Frank Lewis, and has made very rapid progress
in his particular line. He is a Republican in politics.



and is a member of Grecian Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons, of Lawrence. Other fraternal affiliations in-
clude: Member of the Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows ; member of Ruth Lodge of Rebekahs ; the Benev-
olent and Protective Order of Elks; Merrimac Valley
Technology Association ; the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology Alumni Association, of Boston.

Mr. Walker married, in 1907, Isabelle Barrie, born
June 26, 1882, at Lawrence, Massachusetts, daughter of
William C. and Charlotte A. (Smith) Barrie, and they
are the parents of a daughter, Ruth Isabelle, born Sep-
tember 26, 1908. Mr. Walker and his family attend the
St. Augustine Episcopal Church, of South Lawrence.



WALLACE ROSE, master mechanic of the Law-
epce Duck Company, of Lawrence, Massachusetts, was
born September 13, 1876, in Huddersfield, England, son
of John Rose, a master coach builder, who died in
Keighley, England, in 190S, and Emma (Burton) Rose,
also of Huddersfield. She died in Lawrence, Massachu-
setts, in 1920.

Mr. Rose attended the public schools of Huddersfield,
and later studied mechanical engineering at a technical
school there, to perfect the natural mechanical ability
which he had displayed at an early age. After coming
to this country he studied mechanical engineering with
the International Correspondence School. He worked
in various industries in England previous to coming to
America, gaining a wide knowledge, both practical and
theoretical. In 1907 he came to the United States and
entered the employ of the Lawrence Duck Company, and
in the next eight years worked through various depart-
ments, along mechanical lines, until 1917. when he was
made master mechanic of the mill, which position he
now holds. He is a member of Loyal Victoria Lodge,
Manchester Unity, the Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows, of Lawrence, and the Fraternal Order of Eagles,
of the same city.

Mr. Rose married, in 1899, Kate Mullin, of Leeds,
England, and they are the parents of four children:
Donald, born in 1901 ; Wilfred, in 1904; Eileen, in 1909;
and Nora, born in 1912.



DOMNICK CARANCI— Since coming to the
United States and completing his education, the career
of Domnick Caranci has been one of industry and prog-
ress. He was born September 7, 1884, in Castello Pizuto,
Italy, son of Angelo Caranci, a merchant, and Antonia
(Di Santi) Caranci, who died in 1893. The father be-
came a resident of Lawrence, in 1921.

Domnick Caranci began his education in his native
land, and after coming to America in 1901, continued
to attend school in Providence, Rhode Island, and then
entered the employ of the Centerdale Worsted Mills as
a wool sorter, remaining there for eight years. Remov-
ing to Lawrence, Massachusetts, Mr. Caranci continued
this same occupation with the Washington Mills, and
then went to Stafford Springs, Connecticut, for a short
time, where he worked in the mills of that town. De-
ciding that this line of work held little promise for the
future, he accepted a position with the John Hancock
Insurance Company, and eventually became agent of
the company for Essex county, Massachusetts, making
a record by leading the fifty-two men in that territory in



BIOGRAPHICAL



489



volume of business. After several years, in 191 1, he was
in a position to engage in a business of his own and for
three and one-half years was in the meat and grocery
business on Amesbury street, in Lawrence. Through his
diligence and thrift he was in a position to build a large
block on Lawrence street and to this location he removed
his store, and continued for four successful years.

Not yet satisfied with the progress made, Mr. Caranci
in 1919 established the Lawrence Automobile Body
Company, Inc., at No. 636 Essex street, later removing
to No. 341 South Broadway, and there auto bodies are
manufactured and repairing of all kinds is done. An
extensive business in automobile painting is also a fea-
ture of the plant. Mr. Caranci is president and treas-
urer of the company and its general manager. Frater-
nally he is a member of the Knights of Columbus and
of the Order of Eagles.

Mr. Caranci married, in November, 1907, Annie T.
Lenehan, daughter of John Lenehan, of Lawrence, and
they attend the Immaculate Conception Church.



LOUIS W. ROSENTHAL, one of the enterprising
and progressive business men of Haverhill, Massachu-
setts, was born in Russian Poland. September 25, 1889,
son of Abraham and Jennie (Rosen) Rosenthal. He was
educated in the public schools, and subsequently went to
work in the shoe factory of J. A. Windsor, where he
remained for two years. Through his thrift and indus-
try he was then able to open a retail shoe store on his
own account, which he did, at No. j,j Locust street.



This was in 1901, and three years later Mr. Rosenthal
opened a second store on Merrimac street, and in another
three years a third one on Washington street. Outside
of his mercantile interests Mr. Rosenthal has large real
estate holdings, the management of which requires much
of his attention. Fraternally Mr. Rosenthal is a mem-
ber of the Knights of Pythias ; of Zion Lodge, B'nai
B'rith; and the Foresters of America.

Mr. Rosenthal married, February 27, 1919, Maud F.
Berger, of Dorchester, Massachusetts, daughter of Wolfe
and Dora (Wassau) Berger, natives of Russia. Mr.
Berger is a well known merchant of Boston, Massa-
chusetts.

JOHN BENIROWSKI was born in Poland, June
24, 1884, where he spent the first seventeen years of his
life, obtaining his education in the public schools. In
looi he came to the United States and found a home in
Danvers, Massachusetts, where he secured a position in
the Marston & Brooks Shoe Company, as a factory hand.
He remained a shoe factory worker for eleven years, but
in 1912 he left Marston & Brooks and entered the
agency employ of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Com-
pany, at Salem, where he remained for five years, mak-
ing a good record. In 1916 he started business for him-
self as the Polish Investment Company, but in 1919 he
changed the name and has since continued business as
the Derby Shoe Company, of Salem.

Mr. Benirowski married (second), in 1920, Stella
Benirowski, of Salem. By his first marriage he had
two children : Andrew and Wanda.



ADDENDA



FRANK AUGUSTINE GARDNER, M. D.,

surgeon, author, was born in Salem, Massachusetts,
January 7, 1S61, son of Stephen Wilson and Marion
Wallace (Woods) Gardner, and a descendant of Thomas
Gardner, planter, and Roger Conant, governor, who
settled at Salem in 1626.

Dr. Gardner was educated in the Salem public
schools, Peabody High School (1878), Salem High
School (1879), Boston University (1882), and took his
M. D. degree in 1883, then pursuing post-graduate
courses. He married, June 15, 1887, Caroline L. Read,
of Salem (died April 23, 1902), and married (second)
Marion R. Fuller, of Salem, Massachusetts, October 31,
1906. He has two daughters: Pauline, born November
9, 1888 (Smith College, 1912), wife of Captain Philip
S. Donnell, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and Dorothy,
born June 19, 1910.

Dr. Gardner began practice in Peabody, Massachu-
setts, in 1S83, and in Salem in 18S4; was resident
physician to Consumptives' Home, Grove Hall, 1882-83;
lecturer on first aid, etc., to Salem Young Men's Chris-
tian Association; major surgeon Salem Light Infantry
Veteran Battalion. He is a member of the Massachu-
setts Surgical and Gynaecological Society (president,
1901); Massachusetts Society of Examining Physicians;
Essex Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons;
Washington Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Salem
Council, Sons of the American Revolution. His clubs
are the Patria and Helmet. He is a Republican in
politics, and a Baptist in religion.

Dr. Gardner is deeply interested in local history, and
is the author of a number of volumes of lasting worth:
"Thomas Gardner, Planter, and Some of His Descend-
ants;" "The Founders of the Massachusetts Bay
Colony;" "The Old Planters at Salem;" "John Endi-
cott and the Men Who Came in the Arbella in 1628;"
"The Higginson-Skelton Migration to Salem in 1629;"
"Glover's Marblehead Regiment in the War of the
Revolution;" and the histories of many other Massa-
chusetts regiments in the same war. Chapters II and
III on "The Story of the Planters" in our present
work, "History of Essex County," are from his pen.
He is a member of various historical and kindred asso-
ciations; The Essex Institute, the Old Planters Soci-
ety (president), president of the Gardner Family Asso-
ciation, first vice-president of the Roger Conant Family
Association, and president of the Lakewood Grove and
the Birches Improvement Association.

Dr. Gardner's professional office is in No. 27 Kilby
street, Boston; home, 23 North street, Salem; and sum-
mer residence, Lakewood Grove, East Weymouth.



CHARLES HOWARD BANGS, M. D., was born
in Limerick, York county, Maine, April 14, 1861. only
child of William B. and Martha Philpot (Sweat)
Bangs, and is a descendant of many long lines of Ameri-

Note. — The narratives on this and the following
In the body of the work. — Editor.



can ancestry. It has been a source of satisfaction to
him to assist in tracing the history of his family through
four hundred years and to organize a family association
which, under the name of The Edward Bangs Descend-
ants, Inc., has a membership in more than thirty States,
Canada and England. Under the title of "Edward Bangs
the Pilgrim," he has published all that is known of the
life of the founder of the American branch of the Bangs
family and his forty years of public service in Plymouth
colony.

Dr. Bangs spent his boyhood on the farm of his
father and grandfather, and received his education in
the schools of that town. At the age of seventeen he
was obliged to assume the responsibilities of manhood,
and continued to acquire some parts of an education in
the period between harvest and seed time and in the
intervals between the terms of school which he taught
in the neighboring towns of Parsonsfield, Waterboro,
Buxton, Cornish and Standish. He graduated at Lim-
erick Academy (chartered as Phillips Limerick Acad-
emy in 1808), in June, 1882, having been obliged to
pursue much of the course under private instruction.
He graduated at the medical school of Maine (Bowdoin
College), in June, 1892, having pursued his studies at
the above college, Portland School for Medical In-
struction, the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Balti-
more, and Maryland Maternity Hospital. He practiced
for a few months in Sanford, Maine, and removed to
Lynn, Massachusetts, in September, 1892, where he
resided until 1916, when he removed just across the
boundary of Lynn to the town of Swampscott. He
established an office in Boston in 1908, devoting himself
to the practice of dermatology. He was for fifteen
years the dermatologist at Lynn Hospital, and for
several years has filled that position at the Middlesex
Hospital at Cambridge. He is a member of the Ameri-
can Medical Association and has been frequently as-
signed by that society to speak upon Public Health in
various parts of New England. A Fellow of the Mas-
sachusetts Medical Society, he has served for twelve or
more years on its council, and has represented the
society twice as a delegate to the Maine Medical Society.
He was president of the Essex South District Medical
Society during its centennial year, having previously
served as its secretary and upon its board of censors.
He helped organize the Lynn Medical fraternity, and
has filled every elective office in that body and served
on many of its committees. He was one of the mem-
bers of the American Congress on Internal Medicine
at its organization, and is an active member of the
New England Dermatological Society. His writings
have appeared in various medical journals and health
publications. His love for teaching and his realization
that the most direct way to master a subject is to teach
it, has caused him to associate himself with the teaching



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 52 of 56)