Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 6 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 6 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


so that he might enter into business for himself-
He opened a grocery store in his native place, and
has since developed a satisfactory business.

He has entered actively into local public affairs,
has been postmaster of Rocks Village since 1919,
and is a member of the Rocks Village volunteer
fire department- Politically he is a Republican;
religiously he is a Baptist, a member of the Rock-s
Village church of that denomination.

Mr. Pattern was married in 1917 to Agnes H.
Gleed, daughter of William and Esther (Bailey)
Gleed, of Rocks Village, where the foi-mer is con-
nected with shoe manufacturing. Mrs. Pattern
was boi-n in Rocks Village on December 23, 1900.
They have one child, Louis Pattern, born July 12,
1920.



ELMER E. BROWN— For the past twelve years
Elmer E. Brown, of Lawrence, has been actively
identified with the physical growth and develop-
ment of the city- Mr- Brown is a son of Horace
and Ada E- Brown, who reside at No- 432 Howard
street, Lawrence, the father having been a con-
tractor and builder, now retired.

Elmer E- Brown was bom in Belfast, Maine, De-
cember 12, 1882. The family removing to Law-
rence when he was only one year old, it was in
the Lawience schools that he received his educa-
tion. Spending his earlier years in various ac-
tivities, he entered the building field independently,
in the year 1909, and has since attained wide
prominence along this line. He has built resi-
dences, almost entirely, and in connection %vith
this business has handled real estate extensively.
In 1920, in association with Fred Eastman, Jr.,
Mr. BrovvTi organized the Massachusetts Realty
Company. This concern has large real estate
holdings, and is building many residences on one
of their best plots of ground at the present time.

Mr. Brown, as head of this business, is well
kno\vn in the building trades, and is president of
the Master Builders' Association, of Lawrence-
He is also a member of the Lawrence Chamber of
Commerce. Fraternally he is a member of Tus-
can Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of the Knights
of Pythias, and is also an active member of the
Young Men's Christian Association. His business
is located at No- 329 Essex street, and he re.sides
at No. 86 Elm street, Andover, Massachusetts-



and retired- He is an old veteran of the mail
service, but has a title which antedates that.
being a veteran of the Civil War. He is one of
nine brothers and a sister, children of Daniel
and Adeline Whipple, all of these living to a
good old age. The wonderful life of John F.
Whipple began in Ipswich, Massachusetts, August
20, 1841, and he is now enjoying octogenarian
honors in Danvers, Massachusetts.

John F. Whipple attended South West District
School, going thence to the academy at New Lon-
don, New Hampshire, now known as Colby Acad-
emy, there continuing a student for two and one-
half years. After leaving school he became his
father's farm assistant, and at times was in the
employ of neighborhood farmers- When war broke
out between the North and South, he at once
enlisted, serving, until honorably discharged, in
Company L, First Regiment, Massachusetts Heavy
Artillery- He escaped all the perils of war, al-
though taking part in many battles, until Peters-
burg, in June, 1864, when in the charge at the
crater, he was shot through the leg and breast,
and on the day General Lee surrendered, Mr-
Whipple lost an arm through a shot from one
of our cannons-

Upon his recovery, Mr. Whipple was employed
in Boston, Massachusetts, until May 18, 1869, go-
ing thence into the sei-vice of the post office in
Salem, Massachusetts, as a letter carrier. He con-
tinued in the postal service for forty-sLx years,
resigning in 1915, aged seventy-five years. In
1873, he was elected justice of the peace, and
that office he has now held for forty-nine years,
being still in office. He is a member of the Grand
Army of the Republic, the United Order of Amer-
ican Mechanics, and since 1866 has been a mem-
ber of the Baptist church, sei-ving as Sunday
school superintendent for ten years, nov,' being the
senior member of the board of deacons.

John F- Whipple manned, in Saco, Maine, June
17, 1871, Cornelia E. Hood, daughter of John and
Rebecca Hood. Their only son, Guy M. Whipple,
is a giaduate of Brown University, and is a pro-
fessor in Michigan.



JOHN F. WHIPPLE— For forty-six years,
through sunshine and storm, heat and cold, pleas-
ant days and dreary ones, John F. Whipple car-
ried the United States mail over a route in Salem,
Massachusetts, but finally paid tribute to the years



CLIFFORD ELWELL STANLEY— For a con-
siderable period the name of Stanley has been
connected with the electrical business in Salem,
Massachusetts, and Clifford Elwell Stanley is now
the head of the business which his father founded.
As an electrical contractor and engineer, he is
placing the name high on the list in this line of
endeavor.

Mr. Stanley is a son of Francis S- and Bessie
(Butler) Stanley, both of whom are now de-
ceased- Fi-ancis S- Stanley was formerly connect-
ed with the firm of W. S. Lee & Company, but in
1907 e.stablished an independent business in gen-
eral electrical work of all kinds. He died Sep-
tember 9, 1918. Besides Clifford Elwell, whose
name heads this review, Mr. and Mrs. Stanley
were the parents of three daughters and another
son: Edna F., now the wife of .Albert Norman.



BIOGRAPHICAL



263



of Salem; Dorothy Mae; Barbara Larkin; and
Harold Irwin, now a student.

Clifford Elwell Stanley was bom in Salem,
Massachusetts, September 20, 1897. He received
his early education in the public schools of his
native city, then spent two years in the Salem
High School. Thereafter he entered the Massa-
chusetts Nautical School, at Boston, where he
remained for two years, completing his studies
in October, 1916. Mr. Stanley then enlisted in
the United States Merchant Marine, sei-ving until
1918. At the death of his father, he returned to
Salem, and taking over the business, is now
carrying on a constantly increasing interest in all
kinds of electrical contracting and engineering,
having also a full line of electrical supplies.
Still a young man. and with the best years of
life before him, Mr- Stanley is certain to become
one of the leading men in his Line in tliis section-
Mr. Stanley is a member of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, and of Salem Lodge, Benev-
olent and Protective Order of Elks- His church
membership is with the Baptist denomination. He
is unman-ied.



CHARLES C. STECK, an engineer by profes-
sion, and undoubtedly a capable executive, now
of Newburyport, Massachusetts, has vdthin a
couple of years developed a manufacturing busi-
ness which, in its specialty, is said to be one of
the largest in that section of Massachusetts,
where so many large shoe manufacturing and
allied plants are in operation. Mr. Steck establish-
ed the Three Line Counter Company to manu-
facture fibre counters, and his plant now finds
employment for about 175 men, the capacity pro-
duction being 200,000 countei-s a day, quite a
substantial output, it would seem. The company
was incoi-porated in 1919, and Mr. Steck has had
the management of it since its establishment.
The plant covers a floor space of 40,000 squai-e
feet, and, as may be imagined, it is an appreciable
induustry of Newbui-yport.

Charles C. Steck was born in Wheaton, Illinois,
March 24, 1884, son of Calvin and Louisa (Pinch)
Steck, of Naperville, Illinois, where the former
is in business as a merchant. They were the
parents of three children, all sons, one of whom,
however, is now deceased- Charles C- Steck at-
tended the public schools of Naperville, Illinois,
and eventually graduated from the high school of
that place in the class of 1900- Later, he entered
Wheaton College, graduating therefrom in 1906.
He entered upon professional work, was for two
years at the University of Chicago, and later was
at the New Hampshire State College- He was
connected with the engineering division of that
college until 1917, when he entered National ser-
vice, war having come, and such a war as called
for the most strenuous service of people of all
ages, of nations, not armies only. Mr. Steck was
assigned to National work in e.xecutive capacity
with the New Hampshire State Food Administra-
tion, and during the time of stress gave his time



zealously to such work, which was not an un-
important part of the National effort- In 1919
he came to Newbui-yport to establish the busi-
ness before referred to. His business address is
No. 44 Merrimac street, Newburyport, and private
address. No. 9 Summit place, that city, where
he has rapidly made many friends. He is of a
genial personality, and is looked upon as an alert,
progressive man of business, and one who should
prove an asset to the town in its general affairs-
Mr. Steck married, in 1909, Jennie Kinsman, of
lov.'a, daughter of Herman Kinsman, who was a
fai-mer until his death in 1916. Mr. and Mrs-
Steck have three children: Helen S-. bom in
1912; Kenneth K-, born in 1917; Richard S.. tv/in
of Kenneth K-



C. ERNEST BROWN, of the Brown Sign Com-
pany of Haverhill, has been in the sign-painting
and display advertising business for more than
fifteen years in Haverhill, and is well known
throughout the district. Charles Ernest Brown was
bom in Georgetown, Massachusetts, May 4, 1874.
son of Charles Henry and Sarah A- (Oilman)
Brown, of that place. The former was originally
of Boxford, Massachusetts, and passed most of
his life in i-ailroad service, latterly as conductor on
the Boston and Maine railroad.

Charles Ernest Brown spent part of his boy-
hood in Georgetown, attending the public schools
there, and eventually entered Enfield High School,
where he gi-aduated. Having decided to become an
engineer, he spent his first two years, after leaving
school, as a stationary engineer. He left that
work to take up carpentry, and later entered a
shoe factory, remaining at such occupations until
1896. He had an aptitude for drawing and design
work, and changed occupations again to take up
sign painting, never going back to his old trades.
For ten years from 189G he worked for others at
sign-painting, but in 1906 he acquired the sign-
painting and advertising business of the Oland D-
Ray Company, at Haverhill. He continued in that
business independently until 1914, when he sold to
Ernest L. Kimball, the firm name being then
changed to The Kimball System- Mr. Brown re-
mained with the company as manager until 1916,
Vvhen he was offered better remuneration to man-
age the business of the Star Sign and Paint Com-
pany, also of Haverhill. He managed the afi^airs
of that company for a year, and acted similarly
for like period for the Essex Sign Company, of
Haverhill- In 1918, however, he again ventured
into independent business, establishing the Brown
Sign Company, of which he is sole owner. He is
doing a good business.

Mr- Brown is a member of the Loyal Order of
Moose, and also the Junior Order United Ameri-
can lilechanics. He is a man of strong purpose,
and has given close study to some subjects. By
religious conviction he is a Spiritualist, member of
the Haverhill church of that sect.

He has been twice married. His first wife was
Abbee M- Harris, of HaverhiU. They were mar-



264



ESSEX COUNTY



ried in 1898, she died in 1908. In that year Mr-
Brown married Belle J. Griffith, also of Haver-
hill. There was no issue to the first marriage;
his children bom to his second wife are: Donald
J., and Clifton E.



LEVI C. WADE, Jr — In the past seven years,
Levi C. Wade, Jr., of Lynn, Massachusetts, has
built up an impoi-tant business in one of the allied
branches of the shoe industry.

Mr. Wade is a son of Levi C. and Margaret
(Rogers) Wade- The elder Mr. Wade was dis-
tinguished in various lines of individual enterprise
and public endeavor. He was a native of old
Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, now a part of the
city of Pittsburgh, and later lived for a consider-
able period in Newton, Massachusetts. He was
an attorney by profession, specializing in cor-
poration law. He was president of the Mexican
Central railroad, and was a director of the Santa
Fe railroad. He was a member of the Massachu-
setts House of Representatives, of 1879, and
served as speaker of the house, thereby gaining
the distinction of being the only man in Newton
ever holding that position. He was associated
in a business way with E.x-Govemor Brackett.
Levi C Wade, Sr., died in 1891, at the age of
forty-nine years. His wife, who was bom in
Bath, Maine, died in 1921.

Levi C. Wade, Jr., was bom in Newton, Massa-
chusetts, July 22, 188.5. He received his education
in the public schools of that city. Having been
still a child at his father's death, he early took
up the responsibilities of life, and worked at the
machinist's trade, soon establishing himself in
Lynn, in the manufacture of gas engines. Con-
tinuing in this business until 1914, he then took
up the manufacture of mold equipment for rub-
ber goods, making heels and soles his specialties.
He has since continued along this line, and has de-
veloped a prosperous and active business interest.
Mr. Wade is a member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, Marblehead Lodge, and Lynn En-
campment. He is a member of the Congrega-
tional church, of Springfield, Massachusetts.

In 1904, Mr. Wade married Jane R. L. Woodfin,
of Marblehead, and they have four children: Levi
C (3), Margaret E., Robert and Philip. Mrs.
Wade is a daughter of Frank and Mai-y E. Wood-
fin, of Marblehead, her father being prominent in
the express business there.



JOHN H. FEUGILL— The work of the designer
is of peculiar interest, because it has to do with
the beginnings, and in Lawrence, Massachusetts.
one of the leading men behind the building trades
is John H. Feugill, architect.

Mr. Feugill was born in Methuen, Massachusetts,
December 2, 1878, and received his education in
the public schools of Lawrence. He early decided
upon architecture as a profession, and to further
his ambition entered the employ of Boston ai-
chitects, making a study of the work and all its



allied branches. Later on he was employed for a
time with Lawrence architects, and about 1910
opened an office in Lawi'ence and established him-
self in business along this line. He has been very
successful, and has been identified with many in-
teresting and important building enterprises. He
is recognized as a prominent man in the profes-
sion, and for a number of years taught architec-
tural drawing in the Young Men's Christian Asso-
ciation.

On February 22, 1905, Mr. Feugill married, in
Methuen, Alice A. Howard, of that place. They
have three daughters: Hilda, who is now a stu-
dent at the Methuen High School; Eva; Laura;
both the younger daughters are now attending
the public schools of Methuen. The family re-
sides at No. 12 Union street, Methuen, and they
attend St. John's Episcopal Church.



ALEXANDER WILSON was bom at GaUa-
shiels, Scotland, March 18, 1879, a son of James
W. and Helen M. (McDonaldson) Wilson, both
of whom were bom in Scotland. Mr. Wilson's
father, who was a roofing contractor, came to
the United States while Mr. Wilson was quite
young, and died at Haverhill, Massachusetts, Janu-
ary 2, 1921.

Mr- Wilson was educated in the public schools
of Haverhill. After leaving school, he spent four
years in the service of Henry & Weeks, and then
associated himself with Ivis father in the conduct
of the business which had been established by his
father in 1890. When his father died, Mr. Wilson
assumed full control of the business and con-
tinues it under the name of the James W. Wilson
Company. His offices are at No. 30 Pleasant
street, Haverhill, and he deals in slate, copper,
tin, and gi'avel roofing. He also receives con-
tracts for metal and cornice work, and the in-
stallation of skylights and gutter.s His establish-
ment is the largest of its kind in Haverhill, and
he has an enviable reputation throughout the
business world. Mr. Wilson attends the Portland
Street Baptist Church. He is a Mason, and be-
longs to various Masonic bodies, including the
chapter. He is also a member of the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks.

Mr. Wilson has one son, James N. Wilson, who
was bom in 1906.



GRACE MICHAUD — An interesting business
organization of Salem, Massachusetts, is the
Michaud Shoe Company, whose name indicates
the line of activity in which it is engaged. One
of the heads of this business is Grace Michaud.

Mrs. Blichaud was bom in Lynn, Massachusetts,
in April, 1897, a daughter of Napoleon and Rose
Bergeron, of that city. Receiving her early edu-
cation at St. Jean de Baptiste parochial school,
in Lynn, she thereafter took a course at the Bur-
dette Business College, from which she was gradu-
ated with the class of 1912. For the next two
years she was in the employ of the M. Mindeck






'°?*i*?*



BIOGRAPHICAL



266



Company, of Lynn, then went to Salem, becoming
a partner in the E. Michaud Company, of that
city, manufacturers of shoes, the other partner
being J. Eugene Michaud, of Salem. In February,
1919, the name of the firm was changed to the
Michaud Shoe Company, the pai-tners still being
the same-

On April 19, 1915, Gi-ace Bergeron man-ied J-
Eugene Michaud, a son of George and Georgiana
Michau*!, of Salem. Mr. and Mrs. Michaud are
the parents of three children: Henry, Girard,
and Dorothy. Mr. Michaud is a member of the
Salem Chamber of Commerce, and the family be-
longs to St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church.



Bertha Rena, Lillian Elizabeth, Harold Willis,
Carrie Madella, Abbie Nichols, Charles Sanford,
Mabel Ethelene, and Robert Ingersoll, Six of
these children living at the present time.



WILLIS ELMER DAUGHTY— Bom of sturdy
Maine ance^tiy, and himself a man of gi'eat en-
ergy and broad interests, Willis Elmer Daughty,
who is well remembered in industrial and real
estate circles of Swampscott, brought to bear upon
the life of his day the force of an upright and
fearless, but unassuming, character.

Mr. Daughty was bom in Topsham, Maine, July
26, 1861, a son of Charles and Mary Daughty,
both of whom were also natives of the Pine Tree
State- Receiving a practical education in the
public schools of his native to\vn, Mr. Daughtj'
was first employed as a farmer, but did not con-
tinue in agricultural work for any length of time.
Coming to Essex county, Massachusetts, he secured
a position with the Gifford Furniture Company,
leaders in their line at that time- Later on he
became connected with Souther & Bubier, the
well known firm of leather merchants, with whom
he was associated until his death. A tireless
worker, and of thrifty habits, he was soon pre-
pared to make some investment which would ac-
crue future benefit- With large faith in the future
of this section, he acquired real estate as rapidly
as he was able to take it over- The increasing
value of his holdings amply vindicated his wis-
dorA, but he was no less assiduous in his atten-
tion to the leather business, and had no thought
of retiring from his activities Ln that line for
many years to come.

In connection with his personal interests, Mr-
Daughty was broadly active in the public welfare.
He was a leading member of the Improvement
Club, of Swampscott, and for two years served on
the Board of Health, and a member of the ways
and means committee- He was always interested
in military aifairs, and was a member of Com-
pany D, Lynn Cadets. He was a member of Evei-
ett Lodge, Knights of Pj-thias, of Lynn. Into all
these various activities, Mr. Daughty threv/ the
power of his executive ability, thereby perhaps
shortening his days of usefulness. He died Feb-
ruary 2, 1909, when only forty-eight years of age-

Mr. Daughty married, November 1, 1880, Carrie
Elizabeth Philbrick, of Rumford, Maine, daughter
of Stephen and Caroline (Davis) Philbrick. Her
father was a native of Rumford, but her mother
was bom in Gloucester, Massachusetts. Mr. and
Mrs. Daughty were the parents of eight children:



ALFRED W. ST. LAURENT— Beginning life
at an early age in the mills, Alfred W. St. Laur-
ent, of Lynn, has risen by his own efforts to a
position of independence in the business world,
and is now a successful undertaker and insurance
broker.

Mr. St. Laurent was born in Salem, Massachu-
setts, September 8, 1891, and is a son of Alfred
and Marie (Gagnon) St. Laurent- His father was
a native of Quebec, and his mother of New Bruns-
wick. Receiving his early education in the public
schools of Salem, Mr. St. Laurent took a course
at Bi-yant & Stratton's Business College, of Bos-
ton, then entered the employ of the Naumkeag
Mills. Later he acted as agent for the Metro-
politan Life Insurance Company for a period of
eight years, then was with the General Electric
Company for a time, first as draftsman, and then
as salesman. Meanwhile Mr. St- Laurent had
looked into the future, and deciding upon a pei^
manent field of effort, had prepared himself at
the Boston School of Anatomy and Embalming,
and in 1915 opened an undertaking establishment.
He has since continued in this business, with con-
stantly increasing success.

Mr. St. Laurent is a member of the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks, No. 117, of West
Lynn; of Valladolid Lodge, No. 170, Knights of
Columbus; of the Societe St- Jean de Baptiste
Union; of Old St. Jean de Baptiste, of Lj-nn; of
Assumption Lodge, No. 34, of Canada, Indepen-
dent Order of Foresters; of Assumption Lodge,
United States of America; Franco- American Order
of Foresters; of Massachusetts Embalmers Asso-
ciation, located at 250 West Sixth street. Lowell,
and of the Elks Club. During the World War, Mr.
St- Laui-ent was active in all drives, and made
many speeches in Lynn to advance the Liberty
Loans.

In 1912 Mr- St- Laurent man-ied Florildal Li-
mard, of Quebec, Canada, daughter of August and
Ellen (Beaulieu) Limard, of Quebec. Mr, and Mrs.
St. Laurent have two children, Jeannette and Ar-
mand.



FRANK INGALLS BLANCHARD— Alert and
progressive as a man of affairs, and estimable as
an individual, Frank Ingalls Blanchard was a rep-
resentative man of Essex county. It was a gi-eat
shock to his friends when he was cut down in
the prime of life, and the career which had been
so promising came to an untimely end- Mr. Blan-
chard came of old Colonial ancestry, and he was
a direct descendant of Captain Myles Blanchard,
who carried provisions to a boat in distress off
Kings' Beach, Swampscott, when no other boat
succeeded in reaching it. This was in the early
days of Colonial history.

Horace W. Blanchard, father of Frank I. Blan-



266



ESSEX COUNTY



chard, lived at No. 120 Puritan road, Swampscott,
for a period of forty-four years, and died there
December 9, 1917, after surviving his son for up-
wards of three years. He man-ied Eunice H. An-
drews, of West Gloucester, who now resides at
No. 17 Reddington road, Swampscott.

Frank Ingalls Blanchard was born on what is
now known as Puritan road, December 25, 1874.
and died March 1.5, 191-5. Receiving his eariy edu-
cation in the public schools of Swampscott, Mr-
Blanchard made special preparations for his career
at the Bi-yant & Stratton Business College, Bea-
ton, then entered the employ of Hosmer, Codding
& Company, where he continued for a period of
twelve years. Thereafter he became associated
with H W. Marion, of Newton, New Jersey, in the
capacity of traveling salesman, and continued in
this connection until the time of his decease.
In various interests, Mr. Blanchard was well
known. He was a member of the Wayfarers Club,
of Swampscott, and was also a member of the
Swampscott Club. He was a member of the Massa-
chusetts branch of the Sons of the American
Revolution. He attended the services of the Con-
gregational church.

On October 23, 1901, Mr. Blanchard married
Han-iet Clark, of Danvers, Massachusetts, daugh-
ter of James N. and Mary (Martin) Clark- Mr.
Clai-k, who was born in Wenhani, died in the year
1880, but his wife still survives him, and is still
a resident of Danvers. Mr. and Mrs. Blancharci
have one son, Philip Andrews, bom December 2,
1904.

In business circles, in the social organizations
of which he was a valued member, Mr. Bianchaid
will long be remembered. His genial personality
won liim a host of friends, and his genuine worth
made him a man whose loss left a vacant place
in evei-y group of which he had been a member.



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 6 of 56)