Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 7 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 7 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Mr. Putnam was more than once called to pul>-
lic service, first as a councilman, and later served
as alderman for three years during his residence
in Newburyport. He was a man of deeply sincere
religious faith, and was a member of the Old
South Church, of Newburyport, and later of St.
Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church, of Lynn.

In 18.55, Mr. Putnam man-ied Hannah Prescott
Parks, of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and they
were the parents of ten children: Grace W., Inez
J., Mary H., Jolin S., Albert E., WUlard S., Emma
L., Herbert L., Florence T., and Frank. Mrs.
Putnam was a daughter of Solomon and Charlotte
(Stringer) Parks, of Portsmouth.

The news of the passing of John J. Putnam
brought sadness to a large circle of his friends.
But the record he left of a long life of usefulness
to mankind might well prove an inspiration to
those who follow him.



JOHN JAMES PUTNAM— In the permanent
records of Essex county, the name of John James
Putnam desei-ves a place of honor. An upright
and industrious citizen, who bore his part in the
presei-vation of the Union, as well as in the every-
day matters of civic life, he was always prepared
to meet the responsibilities of life with courage
and fortitude. Mr. Putnam was born in Newbm-y-
port, Massachusetts, July 1, 1834, and was a son
of John and Rebecca (Blanchard) Putnam, of Dan-
vers, also in this county.

Educated in the public schools of Newburyport.
in early life he went to sea as a fisherman, but
later became a shoemaker. This occupation he
followed throughout his active life, and was thus
engaged for about forty years. He then retired
from active v/ork, but as long as he lived kept in
touch with the forward movement of public af-
fairs. At the time of the Civil War, Mr. Put-
nam enlisted in Company A, 48th Artillery, and
served under Colonel Stone. For many years, in
later life, he was a member of the Grand Army
of the Republic, continuing his identification with
this organization up to the time of his death.



FREDERIC BRIGHAM LITCHMAN— Thirty-
five years ago, (1887) Fred. B. Litchman started
a job printing business in Marblehead, and to
use his own way of putting it: "am still at it."
The years have brought him prosperity as a
business man, the confidence of his community,
the honors of politics and of the fraternal orders
with which he is affiliated. He is a son of
Charles H. and M. Annie (Shirley) Litchman,
both of ancient New England families, his father a
past great incohonee of the Improved Order of
Red Men; member of the Industrial Commission,
serving under tv/o presidents, McKinley and
Roosevelt, a one time general secretary of the
Knights of Labor, newspaper editor, publisher,
public speaker, and member of the State Legis-
lature.

Fred B. Litchman was bom in Marblehead,
Massachusetts, August 26, 1869, and there edu-
cated in the public schools. At the age of eigh-
teen, in 1887, he started in business for himself
as a job printer and has continued that business
until the present (1922). In 1898 he added com-
mercial photography and "Finishing for Amateurs"
to his business and has continued both lines
until the present.

In politics, Mr. Litchman is a Republican and
was a follower of Colonel Roosevelt in his pro-
gressive revolt. Mr. Litchman v/as a member o'
the Town Board of Auditors, 1894-1900. inclusive,
town assessor, 1901 to the present (1922), and
chairman of the board since 1906, he also having
performed service on the Essex Senatorial Com-
mittee. Fratemally, Mr. Litchman is affiliated
with the Order of United American Mechanics,
ex-state councilor and member of the National
Council; member of the Improved Order of Red
Men, past sachem of Manataug Tribe, No. 1, and
member of the Great Council of Massachusetts;
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, past noble
grand of Atlantic Lodge, No. .55, and member of
the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts; and mem-
ber of Lynn Encampment, No. 58, of the same
order. He is also past president of the Mugford



BIOGRAPHICAL



267



Association, member of the M. A. Pickett Associa-
tion, member of the Marblehead Young Men's
Christian Association, the Essex Club, and the
Universalist church.

Mr. Litchman married, November 12, 1902,
Coralie Mason, bom November 2, 1875, at Marble-
head, daughter of Isaac W. Jr., and Elizabeth
Ellen (Cole) Mason.



EDWARD KAVANAGH, who before his death
was one of the leading dniggists of Essex, Mas-
sachusetts, was a son of Edward and Elizabeth
(Tibbets) Kavanagh. The father was engaged
for many years as a broker in the city of Boston,
following this business until his death in 1890,
at the age of seventy years. The mother was born
in Peabody, and died in 1886.

Mr. Kavanagh was bom in Peabody, July 13,
1860. He attended the public schools of hi?
native town, then entered the employ of Dan
Grosvenor, of Peabody, a leading druggist of that
day. Remaining there for fifteen years, he worked
in various drug stores for a short time there-
after, then, in 1901, came to Essex, and founded
the business which he successfully continued until
his death.

Mr. Kavanagh v;as a member of the Knights of
Pythias, of Essex, and his religious affiliation wa3
as a member of the Episcopal church, of Ipsvdch,
Massachusetts.



GEORGE J. LAEMMLE— JOHN L. WEBER—
The business known as the Weber-Laemmle Tan-
nery Company, of Salem, had its birth, January
1, 1921, the owners, George J. Laemmle and John
L. Weber.

The following changes are incidental to the
taking-over of the large plant in Peabody: Name
— Lorraine Tanning Company; address — Caller and
Walnut streets, Peabody, Massachusetts; president
and tannei-y manager, George L. Laemmle; treas-
urer and sales manager, Russell C. Wood. Products
sold by Rousmaniere, Williams & Company.
Branch offices — New York, Cincinnati, St. Louis,
Chicago.

George J. Laemmle, president of the Weber-
Laemmle Tannery Company, was bom in New
York, March 11, 1887, there attended the public
schools, his education being completed at Pratt
Institute, Brooklyn, New York. After leaving the
Institute he entered the employ of the Bamelt
Leather Company, of Little Falls, New York,
there remaining four years, leaving to go with the
Ohio Leather Company, of Girard, Ohio, with
whom he remained for three years, then spent
three years with the Armstrong Leather Company,
of Peabody, Massachusetts. He finally resigned
his position with that company to enter the tan-
ning business for himself in Salem. He is a
member of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church,
of Salem, the Knights of Columbus, Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks, of Salem, and the
Homestead Golf Club, of Danvers.



Mr. Laemmle married, in 1911, Clara H. Westler,
of New York, and they are the parents of a son,
George J. Jr., and two daughters, Clara May and
Viola C. Mr. Laemmle is a son of George and
Catherine Laemmle, of New York, his father en-
gaged in the wholesale milk business until 1902,
when he retired.

John L. Weber, treasurer of the Webei^Laemmle
Tannery Company, was bom in Lynn, Massachu-
setts, February 11, 1877, son of Nicholas and Mary
(Klein) Weber. Nicholas Weber was bom in Al-
sace, France, and fought in the French army dur-
ing the Franco-Prussian War, 1870-71. In 1872
he came to the United States and established the
Weber Leather Company, of Lynn, Massachusetts,
which he conducted until his death in 1900. His
wife, Mary (Klien) Weber, died in Salem, Massa-
chusetts.

John L. Weber, after completing school years,
became associated wath his father in the leather
business, and after the death of his father, in
1900, he joined vnth his five brothers and until
1912 these six sons of the founder conducted the
business of the Weber Leather Company. In 1912
the company dissolved, John L. Weber going to
London, England, in the employ of Sir Percy
Daniels. Shortly after Mr. Weber's return from
London he became plant superintendent and chief
tanner for H. S. & M. W. Snyder, Inc., continu-
ing until the organization of the Webei^Laemm.le
Tannei-y Company, January 1, 1921. Mr. Weber is
a Catholic in religion, a member of the Knights
of Columbus, the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks, Salem Chamber of Commerce, and the
Colonial Club.

Mr. Weber married Mary I. Gug, and they are
the parents of four children: John N., Leo Fran-
cis, Marion I., and Alice M. Weber.



OLIVER J. AUDET — By a consecrated devotion
to the trade of printing, Oliver J. Audet, of New-
burjTJort, Massachusetts, has attained unusually
lugh standing among the printers of Essex county.
Beginning early in life to learn his vocation,
when thoroughly prepared, he, by a strange con-
trast, established himself in one of the oldest
printing plants in the United States. The New-
buryport Herald Press, which he bought, was one
of the first eight papers to be published in this
country, and was at the time of its demise, over a
century and a half old.

Oliver J. Audet was bom March 21, 1888, at
Sherbrook, Province of Quebec, Canada, the son
of Frank X. and Wilhemena (Lucas) Audet, well
known citizen of Sherbrook who later came to
Vermont. Frank X. Audet was a prosperous wheel-
w^^ght and carpenter, who had a name for ability
and reliability. Oliver J. received the greater part
of his education in the public schools of Granite-
ville, Vermont, but at the age of fifteen began to
contribute to his own support. He secured a posi-
tion in a print shop, and began to lay there
the foundation of what later became a g^reat skill



268



ESSEX COUNTY



in his trade. To leam all sides of printing, after
four years in his first place, he traveled through
the northeastern part of the United States, and
before going into business for himself had worked
in most of the best printing concerns in New
England.

In 191.'3 he bought the "Newburyport Herald,"
principally to own the fine plant and equipment
that went with the newspaper. The paper was
once known as the "Old Benjamin Franklin Press"
and was one of the first news sheets to become
estabhshed in this country. But the old must
make way for the new, and shortly after the
paper's one hundred and fifty-first anniversary of
its birth, it ceased publication, as the rapidly
developing business in job printing required the
use of the whole plant. However, the shop still
goes under the old trade name of the Newburj'-
port Herald Press. Mr. Audet is a Republican
voter, and fraternizes with the Newbui-yport Lodge,
No. 1601, Loyal Order of Moose. He served for
four years as sergeant of Company B, First Regi-
ment, Vermont National Guard.

On June 15, 1914, he was married, at New-
buryport, to Edith Mary Hudson, daughter ol
Joseph H. and Martha (Holden) Hudson, promi-
nent residents of the city. Mr. and Mrs. Audet
have one son, Harold Hudson Audet, born Octo-
ber 10, 1918.



HERBERT W. BURKHARDT— The Corona
Company of Salem, Massachusetts, was organized
by Herbert VV. Burkhardt in 1917, he conducting
the business alone until 1919, when he admitted
W. W. Peck to a partnership, they in 1920 ad-
mitting Captain Charles Bourching, these now con-
stituting the present ownership (1921). Herbert
W. Burkhardt is a son of George F. Burkhardt,
who was engaged in the brewing business in Bos-
ton until his death in 1910.

Herbert W. Burkhardt was bom in Boston,
Massachusetts, March 9, 1886, and there attended
the public schools. He finished his studies at Lee
School, Biltmore, North Carolina, with the grad-
uating class of 1906, then for eleven years was
engaged as a forestry expert. In 1907 he organ-
ized The Corona Company of Salem, for the
manufacture of all kinds of drinks, and has built
up a very large and profitable business. He is a
member of the Salem Board of Trade, and of the
Lutheran church, holding his membership in Bos-
ton.



JAMES NELSON HAMMOND— For many
years active in the industrial world of Essex
county, Massachusetts, James Nelson Hammond
bore a pai-t in the progress of the community and
the Commonwealth, and although a number of
I years have passed since he left his work in other
hands and went out into the "Great Unknown,"
he is still remembered as a staunch friend and a
progressive citizen.

James Nelson Hammond was bom in Natick,



March 19, 1826, and educated in the public schools
of that day. He early took up the responsibilities
of life, and became employed in the manufacture
of shoes, which he continued for fifteen years.
Later he went into business for himself, handling
express in Marlboro and Wayland, Massachu-
setts, and also between those points, building up a
successful business. After a considerable period,
he disposed of his interests in this field, and
entered upon a new industry, the manufacture of
soda water. In this he was very successful, and
developed a large business, in which he was en-
gaged up to the time of his death.

Fraternally, Mr. Hammond was a member of
the Knights of Pythias, and he was a member of
the Methodist Episcopal church. He was broadly
interested in public progress, and always abreast
of the times, although never an aspirant for public
honors.

Mr. Hammond's first wife, Susan R. Hammond,
died on Easter Day of the year 1884. On June
18, 1888, he manied Johanna Frances Collins.
He was the father of four children: James Nel-
son; Ellen Frances; John Nelson, who served
with the 101st Artillery, 26th Division, American
Expeditionary Forces, in France, receiving his dis-
charge in May, 1919; and Edvnn Lee, who during
the World War was commander of the aviation
forces of the Great Lakes, remaining in this ser-
vice until his discharge in July, 1919.

As a respected citizen, as a beloved husband, as
a revered father, James Nelson Hammond left in
the hearts of those who knew him a void which
has never been filled. He departed this life in
1904, but his name will long command well-
deserved honor in the annals of Essex county.



WILLIAM H. BIGELOW, a native of Glou-
cester, Massachusetts, but for many years resident
in Lynn, where he is well-known, was born April
25, 1875, the son of George and Jane (McGrath)
Bigelow. His father was bom in Scotland, and his
mother in Newfoundland. The foiTner died in 1909
after an energetic life, the greater part of which
was spent in this country. The family home was
in Gloucester, Massachusetts, for very many years,
and there the son, William H., went to school.
He attended the public schools, and for some
years after leaving was a coachman for various
Anns in Boston and New York. In 1907 he en-
tered the employ of J. P. Blood, of Lynn. He
worked for him for three years, leaving to take a
position with the Peerless Cement Company, of
Lynn. Three years later he entered into business
for himself, establishing the Shoe City Cement
Company. The plant has been at the same ad-
dress, 589 Washington street, Lynn, ever since,
and has been satisfactorily developed by Mr. Bige-
low during the ten years he has operated it.

He has taken quite an active part in public
and business affairs of Lynn, and has been especial-
ly prominent in fraternal matters. For many
years he has been delegate from Lynn to various



BIOGRAPHICAL



269



conventions of fraternal organizations. Among
those to which he belongs are the Knights of
Columbus; the Elks; Moose; and Red Men. Mr.
Bigelow is prominent in the local Kiwanis Club,
being chairman of membership council. He also
is a member of the Lynn Driving Club.

Mr. Bigelow married in 1911 Lottie M. Jepson,
of Swampscott. Mrs. Bigelow is of British pai-
entage, daughter of Harry and Annie (MacDonald)
Jepson, the former an Englishman by birth, and
a silversmith by trade, while the latter, her
mother, was of Scottish birth. Mr. and Mrs.
Bigelow have four children: Anna M., bom in
1912; Charlotte, bora in 1914; William H. Jr.,
born in 1916; and Neil Edward, born in 1919.



GEORGE OTIS SMITH— For many years ac-
tive in the industrial world of Newburyport, Massa-
chusetts, and also prominent in fraternal orders,
George Otis Smith was a man thoroughly repre-
sentative of the best citizenship, and although
eight years have gone by since his passing, his
name is often spoken of among those who knew
him with the reverent respect which is eminently
fitting.

Mr. Smith was born in Newburjrport, November
21, 1847, and came of a family of New England
people always highly respected^ being a son of
Edward and Sarah (Jackman) Smith. Receiving
only the advantages of a pubUc school education,
Mr. Smith early entered the world of industry,
and being of a mechanical turn of mind, chose
a career along this line of effort. For thirty-five
years he was master mechanic at the hat shop
in Newburyport. A thorough and careful work-
man, yet quick, and capable in an emergency, he
was very highly esteemed by liis employers, and
was counted among the experts in his line. K
death, on September 23, 1913, removed from this
community a valued worker, an honored citizen
and a beloved husband.

Mr. Smith was a man who never sought public
life, but fraternally he was widely known. I;
was a prominent member of the Masonic order,
and was a leading figure in the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, having been through all chair -
and at the time of his death held the office of
captain of cantons.

Mr. Smith married Mary A. Nutter, who was
bom in Amesbury, Massachusetts, December 18,
1849, and was a daughter of Charles and Lydia
A. (Repeal) Nutter, the family dating back to
the War of 1812. Mrs. Smith is a prominent
member of the Rebekahs, having been through
all chairs of this order up to the highest degree,
and now is past deputy. Mrs. Smith now resides
in Amesbury.



Connell. His parents were both of Irish birth,
and for a while after coming to this country
Patrick Connell was connected with the Massa-
chusetts shoe manufacturing industry, later be-
coming a merchant at West Newbury; he died
in 1906.

John Connell grew to manhood in his native
place, attending the public school and afterwards
finding employment in the plant of J. M. Stover,
of Lowell, vrith whom he was connected for
twenty-five years. He rose to responsible position,
and for more than twenty years was foreman
and eventually superintendent of the plant. He
remained with Mr. Stover until the latter retired.
During his time with Mr. Stover, Mr. Connell
was also connected with his father in the coal
business in West Newburyport, under the firm
name of P. Connell & Son. This enterprise was
continued until the death of the father in 1905.
Soon aftei-wards, John Connell moved to Haver-
hill, where in 1909 he started in business there as
a coal merchant, his coal yard and business quar-
ters being at No. 105 Prospect street. There he
has continued until now, and has worked up a
good connection. The business now is incorpor-
porated and trades under the name of the Connell
Coal Company, John Connell being treasurer.
Mr. Connell is a member of the Haverhill Cham-
ber of Commerce, and has many friends in the
city.

Mr. Connell married, in 1885, Margaret F.
Cooney, of West Newbui-y, Massachusetts, daugh-
ter of Bartholomew and Hannah (Dacey) Cooney,
who were both born in Ireland, but were long
resident in this counti-y. Bartholomew Cooney
was a comb maker, and died in 1903. Mr. and
Mrs. Connell are the parents of eight children,
as follows: Sherman J.; J. Everett; Helena J.;
Mary E.; Edward M.; Richard H.; Arthur W.;
and M. Florence. Three of the sons saw military
service during the World War: Edward M. held a
commission in the air service; Arthui- W. was in
the Student Army Training Corps; and Richard
H. in the United States navy.



JOHN CONNELL, a well known coal merchant
of Haverhill, Massachusetts, is a native of Essex
county, and has lived his whole life in Mas3a-
chusetts. He wa bom on July 19, 1857, at West
Newbury, son of Patrick and Ellen (Murphy)



ED. BERTRAM TRUMBULL— A deep sea
sailor and master of ships, Captain Trumbull for
twenty-two years braved the dangers of the deep,
then retired to a well-earned home in Salem,
where he is well known in business and civic life.
During those years on shipboard, he rounded the
Cape of Good Hope forty-four times, made seven
voyages to India, and three times circumnavigated
the world, visiting the islands of the Pacific, and
the ports of China and Japan. He is a son of
Captain Ed. H. Trumbull, a master mariner and
vessel owner of Salem, where Tmmbulls have
long been seated.

Ed. Bertram Trumbull, son of Captain Ed. H.
and Mary Ann Trumbull, was bom in Salem,
Massachusetts, April 28, 1853. He attended Salem
schools until fifteen years of age, then went to
sea "before the mast," going through every phase



7^,?0i^



270



ESSEX COUNTY



of a sailor's life before reaching the quarter-deck.
He made three voyages as a forecastle hand, and
rose through the petty offices to the rank of first
mate, and for nine voyages sailed under that
rating. He then was made master of a barqui
in which he made seven voyages to East Indian
ports before retiring. He was a brave and intrepid
master, and a skilled navigator, holding the con-
fidence of his ofiicers and crew.

In 1892 Captain Trumbull, with others, or-
ganized the Storage Warehouse Company, and
erected a large fii-eproof warehouse on New Bridge
street, Salem. He is also master and treasurer of
the Salem Marine Society, a member of the Salem
Club, and of the Universalist church. His home
is at No. 90 Federal street, Salem, Massachusetts.



RUSSELL BULLOCK, of Essex, is one of the
group of younger men who are carrying forward
the practical activities of the community. Mr.
Bullock was bom in Essex, May 7, 1897, and is
a son of Arthur M. and Althea (Story) Bullock.
The elder Mr. Bullock is employed with the
United Shoe Machinery Company, of Beverly,
Massachusetts. As a boy Mr. Bullock attended the
public schools of Essex, then for about three
years was engaged in farming. Thereafter, he
entered the employ of the United Shoe Machine
Company, in Beverly, then returned to Essex,
and became associated with the Charles W. Mears
Ice Company, where he has since been employed.

In 1918 Mr. Bullock enlisted in tlie United
States Marine Corps, and was stationed at Paris
Island, until September of that year, when ho
joined the American Expeditionary Forces in
France. There he took part in the Meuse Ar-
gonne. He was discharged from the sei-vice at
Camp Quantico, Virginia, in August, 1919, and
returned immediately thereafter to Essex and to
his former employment. Mr. Bullock is a mem-
ber of the American Legion, and a member of
the Universalist church, of Essex.



EDWIN L. BLACKBURN, of the manufacturing
firm of Blackburn & Haseltine, of Haverhill,
Massachusetts, was born in Salem, Massachusetts,
November 6, 1889, son of Lewis C. and Mary S.
(Smith) Blackburn. Mr. Blackburn was educated
in the public schools and attended the Haverhill
Business College. His first experience in bu.siness
was in the office of the Pacific Mills, and hir.
second was with the Haseltine & Colby Manufac-
turing Company, makers of women's turned shoes,
with a capacity of five hundred pair a day. Mr.
Blackburn acquii-ed an interest in this company
and succeeded Mr. Colby as partner, the firm
name changing in 1919 to its present form.

Mr. Blackburn married in 1907 Mary A. Shar-
key, daughter of Patrick and Mary (Tiemey)
Sharkey, and their children are: M. Dorothea, M.
Viola, E. Raymond, and R. Marjorie.



Enstrom is now a manufacturer of fine tools in
Lynn. Mr. Enstrom is a son of Olef John En-
strom, now deceased, who was bom in Sweden,
March 23, 1826, and was a man of considerable
prominence in his native country, being principal
of a school. He manied Mary Linbeck, who was
born in Sweden, February 28, 1838.

Olef Axel Enstrom was bom in Sweden, Sep-
tember 5, 1881, and educated in the public schools
of his native land. Coming to the United States
in 1903, he was employed in various activities
until 1909, when he entered the employ of the
Waltham Watch Company, of Waltham, Massa-
chusetts, with whom he remained for two years.
Then coming to Lynn, he was employed on watch
work here until 1916, after which he was in Re-
vere, Massachusetts, for a period of four years.
Then returning to Lynn in July, 1920, Mr. Enstrom
established his present factory for the manufacture
of fine tools, and although not yet two years
have passed, he has developed a thriving business
which promises much for the future under h:?,
capable management. In the public affairs of his
adopted country, Mr. Enstrom takes a deep in-



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 7 of 56)