Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 8 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 8 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


terest, and supports the Republican party. He
attends the Bajjtist church in Lynn.

Mr. Enstrom married, October 22, 1905, Hannah
Lillydale, of Lynn, who was bom in this city.
May 19, 1875, and is a daughter of Carl and
Christian Lillydale, her father being a builder in
Lynn. Mr. and Mrs. Enstrom have three chil-
dren: Sijne Marion, bom June 9, 1906; Robert
Axel, bom March 5, 1911; and Richard Melvin,
born May 29, 1919. The two older children attend
the public schools of Lynn.



OLEF AXEL ENSTROM— Long identified with
the watch industry in Massachusetts, Olef Axel



LOUIS LETOILE, of Haverhill, was bom in the

United States, of French-Canadian parents, but
his grandfather, Prospere Letoile, was bom in
France. His father, also Prospere Letoile, was
bom in 1850, and had fourteen children, ten of
whom are still living, among them Louis.

Louis Letoile was born at St. John, Maine,
September 4, 1882, but his boyhood and youth were
spent in Canada. He was educated in Canadian
grammar schools, and after leaving school assisted
his father in the work of the home farm for
some time. He was only twenty-one year;; o
when he married, and for some time before thn'
he was working for Samuel Whittimore, a bric^'
manufacturer, of Haverhill, who was destined to
become his father-in-law. However, Loms Letoile
w"ent from that trade to roofing and tinninir, an''
for seventeen years was with James Wilson, of
Haverhill, in that line of business. In 1920, he de-
cided to venture into business for himself, and
from then to the present he has done a satis-
factoi-y volume of work in roofing, slate, tin, and
copper. His address is No. 10 Eighteenth avf-
nue, Haverhill. He is a member of the local
lodge of the Loyal Order of Moose, and is a mem
ber of the Catholic church.

Mr. Letoile married, in Haverhill, in 1903, Jean-
nette Whittimore, who was bom in New York City,



«•••






-t5fev.



'^^




Q_^A/^J/Sia^




BIOGRAPHICAL



271



n 1881, daughter of Samuel and Matilde (Leyvesy)
Whittimore. Mr. and Mrs. Letoile have fovu- chil-
dren: Willie, bom in 1908; George, born in 1910;
Emile, bom in 1913; and Leo, bom in 1916.



FRANK L. DONOVAN was bom in Silver
Lake, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, Septem-
ber 16, 1877, and is a son of John F. and Mary
J. Donovan, natives of Pennsylvania, who are now
residents of Methuen, Massachusetts. John F.
Donovan is a veteran of the Civil War, having
served for three years with the 17th Regiment,
Massachusetts Volunteer Infanti-y. He is a farmer
by occupation.

Receiving his early education in the public
schools of his native place, Frank L. Donovan at-
tended high school at Montrose, county seat of
Susquehanna county, then, at the age of nineteen
years, came to Lawrence, and engaged in the
retail tobacco business, in which branch of ac-
tivity he continued for twenty years, or until 191G.
Meanwhile, Mr. Donovan had been connected for
years wth the niilitai-y service, both State and
National. In 1897 he joined the Massachusetts
National Guard, and saw service in Cuba with
Company F, 9th Regiment, Massachusetts Infan-
try, with the rank of corporal, accompanying Gen-
eral Shafter to Santiago. He was in Cuba for
four months. In 1900 he was appointed seconi
lieutenant of the same organization; in 1902 he
was promoted to first lieutenant; in 1904 to cap-
tain, and in 1912 to major. In June, 1916, Majo;-
Donovan saw service on the Mexican border, then,
v?ith the intervention of the United States in
Europe, early in 1917 he went to Fort Sill, Okla-
homa, where he spent several months in a machine
gun training school. In August, 1917, he rejoined
his regiment, which had become the 101st Infan-
try, Massachusetts National Guard, and, as major
of this regiment, became a part of the 26th Di-
vision, American Expeditionary Forces. He saw
service in France for nineteen months, and was
discharged in April, 1919, and upon his return to
civilian life established a garage and service
station, under the name of the Donovan Motor
Company, which he has now disposed of. Mr. Don-
ovan is a member of the Spanish War Veterans,
of the American Legion, and of the Veterans
of Foreign Wars.

Mr. Donovan married, on January 1, 1900.
Lawrence, Anna Keating, of Minneapolis, Minne-
sota, and they have six children, two boys and
four girls. The family are members of St. Law-
rence Roman Catholic Church of Lawrence.



PAUL N. CHAPUT, real estate and insurance
man of Salem, Massachusetts, was bom in St.
Damase, Canada, on September 2.5, 1862, and is a
son of Edouard and Philonise (Duchene) Chaput.
The family left their Canada home and removed
to Salem m 1876, and he received the greater
share of his education in the schools of Salem
attending school in the morning and working in



the mills in the afternoon, in order to help his
father in the care of his five brothers and one
sister. For a long time he attended evening
school regularly, taking the advanced studies
which would prepare him for a business career.
In 188.5 he started in the retail grocery business in
Salem, beginning in a modest way. Having a nat-
ural talent for business, and being honest and
straightforward in all his dealings, he was soon
on the way to success. This first business he car-
ried on uninteiTuptedly for twenty-three years.
After the grocery store was an established and
assured thing, he acquired a shoe store, then later
on a general hardware business, and still later an-
other gi-ocery store. So at one time he owned
four stores — two gi-oceries, one shoe and one hard-
ware store. In 1908 he made a radical change
in his line of business. He sold out all his stores
and established liimself in the fire insurance and
real estate business. He became agent for fifteen
different companies, and sole agent for some old
line companies. Making his own way in this
branch of business activity, Mr. Chaput has placed
liimself among the foremost men in this business,
and himself owns large holdings in real estate.

Aside from the interests outlined above, Mr.
Chaput is treasurer of Le Coun-ier Publishing
Company, publishing the French weekly news-
paper, "Le Courier de Salem," and the "Le Cour-
rier de Lynn." He was one of the original or-
ganizers of the company which launched tliis
periodical in 1902. Mr. Chaput is a member of the
City Council from the Fifth Ward. In 1894 he
was on the Board of Aldermen as alderman-at-
large. For five years, from 1903 to 1907 inclu-
sive, he was on the committees for streets,
bridges, sewers, and public property, on the mili-
tary aid committee and on the committee on re-
counts. He was also a member of the commit-
tee formed to draft a new form of govemment
for the city of Salem. He is a Republican, and is
a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and vice-
president of the Bay State Fire Insurance Com-
pany, of Lawrence, Massachusetts.

Mr. Chaput is a strong believer in total absti-
nence, and has spent a great deal of time and
labor in advancing that cause in this vicinity. He
is a member and for many years has been an
enthusiastic worker in the No License League, and
in the Father Matthew Total Abstinence Society
of Salem; and is a member and director of the
Total Abstinence Society of Massachusetts. He
is also a member of the Salem Associated Chari-
ties. In fratemal circles Mr. Chaput is a promi-
nent figure. He is a member of the Society of
St. Jean de Baptiste, the Union of St. Jean de
Baptiste of America, the Artizans, the Catholic
Foresters, the United Workmen of America, and
St. Joseph's Mutual Benefit Association.

Mr. Chaput married, in Lynn, Massachusetts, in
November, 1886, Josephine Brulotte, daughter of
Isadora and Delphine (Ratte) Brulotte. They are
members of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church.



272



ESSEX COUNTY



GEORGE M. BYARD, who for thirty years has
been in business in Haverhill, latterly in the
automobile business, was bom in Sedgwick, Maine,
September 23, 18G8, the son of James P. and
Mary E. (Means) Byard, of that place, the former
a merchant, now deceased.

George M. Byard was educated in the public
schools of his native place, and after leaving
school worked for his father, who owned a gen-
eral store. In 1890 he came to Haverhill, and
entered into business partnership with a Mr. Ather-
ton, the partnership name being Atherton &
Byard. The business association continued until
1918, when Mr. Byard withdrew from the partner^
ship, which during its very many years of con-
tinuance had been conducted at No. 15 Washing-
ton square, Haverhill. After a needed vacation,
Mr. Byard again entered energetically into busi-
ness, establishing himself at No. 8 White street
in April, 1919, his line being autos and auto
supplies. In February, 1921, the business was re-
moved to the rear of No. 15 Essex street, where
he has ample salesroom and garage space. Hav-
ing lived in Haverhill for more than thirty years,
Mr. Byard is well known in that vicinity, and ho
is considered a good business man.

Mr. Byard married, in 1889, Alice L. Eaton,
daughter of John G. and Olivia (Russell) Eaton,
of Sedgwick, Maine. They have two children:
Roy P., now a veteran of the World War, with
overseas record, and eighteen months war senico
in a supply train; and Lloyd E., also an ex-service
man, stationed at Camp Merritt, 1917-19.



JAMES E. SHEA, was bom at Boston, Massa-
chusetts, on November 25, 1892, and is a son of
James J. and Armie P. (Brown) Shea. His father
is in the Government Postal Service at Boston.
His mother was born in England, and came to the
United States from Manchester, England.

Mr. Shea received his early education in the
public schools of Roxbury, Massachusetts, grad-
uating from the high school with the class of
1910. After his school rays were over, Mr. Shea
decided to become a sign painter, and foiTned a
connection with the O. J. Gude Company, of New
York City, for the purpose of learning the trade.
He later associated himself with the Los Angeles
Sign and Scenery Company. After leaving the Los
Angeles Sign and Scenei-y Company, he spent
seven years in the service of the Haverhill Sign
Company. At the end of this period, feeling fully
equipped for the management of a business of his
own, he entered into partnership vwth T. B. Bo-
land, under the firm name of the Essex Sign
Company; the partners conduct a sign painting
business, with offices at the rear of No. 138 Merri-
mack street, Haverhill, Massachusetts.

Mr. Shea enlisted during the World War in the
United States navy on July 24, 1917, and was
assigned to the medical department, Naval Radio
Station, Cambridge, Massachusetts. He was later
transferred to the U. S. S. "Newport News," on



which ship he remained until his discharge. Mr.
Shea is a member of the Benevolent and Pro-
tective Order of Elks, and also belongs to the
Fraternal Order of Eagles.

Mr. Shea married, in 1915, Bertha W. Sullivan,
of Bradford, Massachusetts. Mrs. Shea, who was
a daughter of Michael C. and Elizabeth J.
(Brown) Sullivan, of Ireland, died in 1919. Her
father was a stationary engineer. Mr. and Mrs.
Shea had one son, James E. Jr., deceased.



RICHARD T. FENNESSEY has, for the past
twenty years or more, been active in the business
and pubUc life of Danvers, Massachusetts, and
for several years of this period filled the office of
postmaster.

Mr. Fennessey was born in Danvers, April 25,
1873, and is a son of William J. and Rebecca
(Corey) Fennessey. William J. Fennessey was
identified with the shoe industry during the greater
part of his active life. Three children were bom
to William J. and Rebecca (Corey) Fennessey:
Richard T., of whom further; Mary J., and Charles.

Gaining a thoroughly practical education in the
gi'ammar and high schools of the town, Richard
T. Fennessey was thereafter engaged for three
years in the bakery business with his brother.
He then became a salesman for Cobb, Bates &
Yei-xa, in which connection he remained for two
years, later becoming associated vsrith Ralph
WheelvvTight in the gi'ocei-y business for two
years. Following these activities, Mr. Fennessey,
for a considerable period, handled the Lynn
agency for the Pi-udential Life Insurance Com-
pany, wi-iting fii'e insurance at the same time.
The fire insurance business developed so rapidly
that in the end he was obliged to give up the
original line upon which he started and devote
himself to fire insurance exclusively.

By political choice a Democrat, Mr. Fennessey
long ago became a factor in the public life of
Danvers. From 1901 to 1916 he was treasurer of
the Democratic Town Committee, and from 1912
to 1916 he was chairman of that committee. On
September 4, 1916, he was appointed postmaster
of Danvers, and he has the distinction of being
the youngest postmaster who ever served this
tovm.

Mr. Fennessey is a member of the Danvers
Board of Ti-ade, and is a member and ex-president
of the Retail Clerks' Association. He is a member
of the Irish Historical Society of the United
States; is past chief ranger of the Massachusetts
Catholic Order of Foresters; past sachem of Aga-
wam Tribe, Improved Order of Red Men; and is
a member of the Knights of Columbus. His re-
ligious faith is that of the Roman Catholic.



J. EDWARD CLEARY, part-owner of the
Haverhill Tire Shop, in which business is em-
braced the trading in tires. Ford automobile parts,
accessories, oil, gas, and service to automobile
owners, is actively conducting a productive busi-



BIOGRAPHICAL



273



ness enterprise in his home town. He was born
in Haverliill, Massachusetts, on December 24,
18S9, son of Patrick and Mary (O'Brien) Cleary.
His parents were respected Haverhill residents,
though his father will be remembered well by
only some of the older residents, as his death oc-
curred twenty-eight years ago, in 1894. After
passing through Haverhill public schools, J. Ed-
ward Cleary found employment with J. H. Win-
chell, for whom he worked for twelve years. For
eight years, thereafter, he was private chauffeur
for R. A. Splain, leaving at the end of that time
to enter into business for himself. He formed
business partnersliip with O. H. Daley, and they
acquired the business of J. H. Langelim, who
had an established automobile supply business in
Haverhill. After the transfer, the partners estab-
lished the Haverhill Tire Shop, and since, as
above noted, have been large dealers in automobile
tires. Ford automobile parts, and, in general,
automobile accessories. They also own a service
station, which is well situated on Lafayette Square.
Altogether, the business is an appreciable one.
Mr. Cleary is well known to many people in
Haverhill. He is a member of the Roman Cath-
olic church, and the local body of the Knights
of Columbus.

Mr. Cleary married, in 1912, Rosalie Lucier, of
Haverhill, daughter of Albert and Delia (Laurent)
Lucier, the former now a patrolman at Lawi-ence,
Massachusetts. Mr. and Mrs. Cleary have three
children: Curtiss Adams, who was born in 1913;
Dorothy, bom in 1916; and Marjorie, born in
1918.



ALFRED J. MARTEL— One of the most com-
pletely equipped and modern undertaking establish-
ments in Lawrence, Massachusetts, is that of
Alfred J. Martel, who is receiving the patronage
of the leading families of this section.

Mr. Martel was bom in Chicoutimi, Province
of Quebec, in 1879, and came to Massachusetts
at the age of six years with his parents, the fam-
ily locating in Webster. It was there that the
boy attended the parochial and public schools, and
acquired a practical foundation for the future.
He finished his studies at the Brochu Academy,
at Southbridge, Massachusetts, and was graduated
from that institution in 1896. Immediately there-
after, Mr. Martel entered the employ of the lead-
ing undertakers of that place, remaining with
them for a period of nine years.

In 1915 Mr. Martel entered the undertaking
business for himself, making his start in San-
ford, Maine. Three years later, however, he re-
moved to Lawrence and established the present
business. He has developed a considerable inter-
est, and his business, which is modem in every
way, with fine motor equipment, is constantly
growing, and as a licensed embalmer, Mr. Martel
is keeping abreast of every forward movement
in his profession.

Mr. Martel is a member of the Benevolent and



Protective Order of Elks, Lodge No. 65; of the
French Artisans, and of the Catholic Order of
Foresters. He is also a member of St. Joseph's
Society, and of the Council of Chenier. He is a
member of the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce;
his religious faith places his membership in St.
Anne's Roman Catholic Chui-ch, and he is a mem-
ber of the Societe St. Jean de Baptiste.

Mr. Martel manied, in 1905, Sylvina Lafrance,
of Southbridge, Massachusetts, and they have one
daughter, Andrea.



ERNEST N. OILMAN— Very old residents of
Haverhill will perhaps remember the Thompson
Express, which began to operate in 1845. For
many years the business was conducted under
that name, and it may be deemed to be still in
business, for the Carter Russell Company of the
present is the direct successor of that early ex-
press line. The business has of course been very
much expanded, and the present company is really
an amalgamation of several express companies of
Haverhill, but its beginning was in the Thompson
Express of 1845. The company today conducts
the largest express service in Haverhill and vicin-
ity, employs fifty people in Haverhill and Boston,
and has constant need for eight large motor
trucks.

Ernest N. Oilman, of Haverhill, is the owner of
the Carter Russell Company. He was born in
Exeter, New Hampshire, on December 3, 1856, son
of John and CaroUne F. (Chapman) GOman, and
grandson of John Oilman, of New Hampshire.
Both grandfather and father were engaged in the
lumber business, the latter for many years in
New Brunswick, Canada. Emest N. Oilman was
educated in Exeter, New Hampshire, schools, and
also for the greater part of his life was identi-
fied with lumbering. He came to Haverhill and
acquired the Carter Russell Company. It has
been considerably developed since he came into
possession, and today, with fifty persons steadily
employed, it is a large business. He is a mem-
ber of the Haverhill Chamber of Commerce, and
fraternally is a Mason, a member of the Merrimac
lodge of Haverhill.

Mr. Oilman married Edith L. Shannon, of
Haverhill, and to them were born two children,
one of whom is now living. Their first bom, John
S., is deceased; their surviving son is Emest P.
Mr. and Mrs. Oilman are members of the Con-
gregational church, of Bradford.



TERRY ARDEN NEWHALL— An enterprising
coal merchant in Lynn, Terry A. Newhall is bear-
ing a part in the general prosperity of the com-
munity.

Mr. Newhall was bom in Lynn, September 27,
1872, and is a son of Timothy Alley and Sarah
(Stacy) Newhall, formerly of this city. He re-
ceived his education in the public schools of Lynn,
and after such industrial activities as he followed
immediately thereafter, he entered the coal busi-



274



ESSEX COUNTY



ness at the age of twenty-one years. He has
continued in this branch of mercantile endeavor
until the present time (1922).



JAMES AUGUSTUS KEEFE, a time type of
the alert, ambitious business man found in many
American cities, was born in Andover, Massachu-
setts, in 186."), and died at Haverhill. He at-
tended school in Andover, and when a young
man, came to Haverhill, where through his busi-
ness operations he was to become prominent and
successful.

One of the very first clothing stores to be
opened in Haverhill was the one started by Mr.
Keefe, which he continued to expand and manage
until his death. There are many of the older
residents who remember the first venture made by
Mr. Keefe, and his subsequent success, who can
contrast the present day with that time. Mr.
Keefe was a member of the Knights of Columbus,
the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks,
and of St. James' Church.

Mr. Keefe married Johanna Powers, bom in
Haverhill, in 1867, daughter of Nicholas Powers.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Keefe were: William
J., Dorothy, James A., Elsie, Winifred, Katherine,
and Charlotte. The mother of this family and her
children live on the old homestead in Haverhill,
and all are attendants of St. James' Church.



HARRY CARVETH was born in Cornwall,

England, in 1891, son of Harry and Agnes
(Mitchell) Carveth. His parents were natives of
Comwell, and there his father died in 1891. The
son was educated in the public schools, and his
first experience in business was as a clerk in a
general store. After three years at this occupa-
tion he entered the business of general gardening,
and this work led him to accept a position as
kennel manager for Lady Decies, of Ascot, Eng-
land. Mr. Carveth was always a great lover of
animals, and until 1914 he remained at Ascot. In
the latter year he left his native land and came
to America, locating at Hamilton. There he en-
tered the employ of the Robert Jordan Kennels,
work similar to that which he had been following
in England. After two years he went into the
garage business, working for George Checketts of
Hamilton, and three years later he bought the
business of his employer, which he conducted under
the name of the Hamilton and Wenham Garage.

In 1917 Mr. Carveth, with true American spirit,
enlisted in the Depot Brigade, located at Camp
Devens, and in February, 1918, was transferred to
the 5th Division, 5th Ammunition Train, and for
fifteen months served overseas with the American
Expeditionary Forces. He was discharged July 31,
1919, with the rank of corporal. Mr. Carveth re-
turned to Hamilton and took up the thread of his



business where he had left it to defend his adopted
country, although at the same time he was render-
ing aid to his native land. At the present time
Mr. Carvath is employed in Salem, Massachusetts.
He is a member of the American Legion Post, No.
182, Gordon Prince Post of Hamilton.

Mr. Carveth married, in 1911, Florence Robert
Hore, of Cornwall, and they attend the Methodist
church, of Hamilton.



BERTRAM W. MEARS— One of the leading ice
dealers in Essex is Bertram W. Mears, who was
born and reared in this town, and comes of New
England ancestry. Mr. Mears was bom October
7, 1884, and is a son of Charles W. and Nellie M.
(Thurston) Mears. The elder Mr. Mears is a
wholesale dealer in ice, doing business here in
Essex. The mother was bom in Wolfboro, New
Hampshire.

Receiving a practical education in the public
schools, Bertram W. Mears later took charge of
the plant of the Chelsea Ice Company, of Chelsea,
Massachusetts, remaining with that concern for
seven years. He then spent about a year in the
employ of the General Electric Company, of Lynn,
after which he returned to Essex. He has since
been engaged in the retail ice business, under the
name of the B. W. Mears Ice Company, and ia
very successful in his chosen field of activity. Mr.
Mears is interested in every phase of public ad-
vancement. He has been road surveyor for the
past seven years. He is a member of the Knights
of Pythias, of uniform rank, and is a member of
the American Order of Foresters. In 1905 Mr.
Mears married Annie E. Kenney, of East Boston,
and they attend the Congregational church.



PATRICK A. McSWEENEY, son of Dennis
and Mary McSweeney, was bom in Salem, Mas-
sachusetts, August 11, 1873, and there was educated
in the public schools. He began business life as a
shoe factory worker and so continued for several
years. He then entered the real estate and in-
surance field, his agency now well established and
widely known. He is president and trustee of the
Loring Realty Company, a director of the Salem
Trust Company, and has other varied and im-
portant interests. Mr. McSweeney is secretary of
Salem Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks; treasurer of Father Mathew Total Abstin-
ence Society; member of the Fraternal Order of
Eagles; Knights of Columbus, and the Roman
Catholic church.

He married, in Peabody, Massachusetts, Novem-
ber 21, 1900, Mary E. Regan, daughter of Michael
and Mary Regan. Mr. and Mrs. McSweeney are
the parents of three children: Mary A., bom De-
cember 27, 1901; William H., bom December 17,
1902; and Morgan J., bom May 29, 1915.



THE NO' ^^"'>K
PUBLIC LIBK^R'

ASTOR, LENOX




JiUcl^Ajf yvjuL^



BIOGRAPHICAL



321



HERBERT WEED— Widely known in Eastern

Massachusetts and leaders in their field in Lynn, the
firm of Sanborn & Weed, architects, is taking a prom-



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 8 of 56)