Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 9 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 9 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


inent place in the continual advance movement in the
world of construction.

Mr. Weed, the junior member of this firm, was born
in Lynn, November l, 1889, and is a son of Frederick
Ellsworth and Gertrude (Ward) Weed, long residents
of this city. As a boy Mr. Weed attended the public
schools of Lynn, and also covered the high school
course, then, later, attended the Lynn Evening School
of Mechanical and .Architectural Drawing, still later
also taking a course at the Boston Architectural Club
of Construction and Design. These higher courses
were carried through after he had taken his place
among the workers of the world, his first position being
as office boy in the office where he is now a partner, in
the employ of Mr. Sanborn. Putting forth every effort
to achieve success in his chosen field, Mr. Weed rose
from the position of office boy, filling all the different
positions in turn. He was a trusted assistant and well
known in the profession when the United States inter-
vened in the World War. The necessary restrictions
placed upon the building trades by the government
relieved him of much responsibility, and he was chosen
for technical work in the plant oi the General Electric
Company of Lynn, and during the period of the war
he continued with that concern. Then, in 1919, with
building restrictions removed, and the impetus given
the building trades, by the bringing into action of
deferred plans for expansion and construction, Mr.
Weed returned to his duties in the office of Mr. San-
born, at the same time becoming a member of the firm.
He has since been an active factor in the progress of
the concern, and has designed a number of noteworthy
structures, including the Olympic Theatre, of Lynn, the
Grossman building, "The Breakers," home for the
American Legion, Post No. 6, and many fine resi-
dences. With his long training under Mr. Sanborn's
direction, he is taking a leading position in the pro-
fession.

Mr. Weed is a member of the Free and Accepted
Masons, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and
the Kiwanis Club. He finds his favorite relaxation in
music.

On September 14, 1912, Mr. Weed married Beatrice
A. Abbot, daughter of Joseph Benjamin Abbot, of
Swampscott, Massachusetts, and they have two sons :
Gilbert Calvin, and Warren .A.bbot.



GEORGE H. MARQUETTE— Born in Haverhill
almost four decades ago, for almost a generation
actively in business in the city, and latterly as the
head of a well established manufacturing concern of
the place, George H. Marquette may be looked upon
as a representative resident.

George Henry Marquette was born on March 10,
1883, the son of George and Elizabeth Marquette. After
passing through the public schools of the city, George
IL Marquette began business life in the employ of the
New England Telephone Company, and was connected
with the Haverhill branch of that public service com-
pany for four years, leaving to enter the employ of

Essex — 2 — 21



C. W. Arnold, a cut sole manufacturer, of Haverhill.
He remained in his employ for fourteen years, begin-
ning as shipping clerk, and gradually working up to
salesman. He was a successful traveling salesman for
that firm for several years prior to 1915, in which
year he started the F. .Archibald Company, of Haver-
hill, engaged in the cut sole business, an association
which continued to mutual advantage until June I,
1918, when Mr. Marquette started the firm of the G. H.
Marquette Company, and in January, 191 9, took E. A.
Sheridan as an active partner and doing business under
the name of Sheridan & Marquette. It was not long
before Mr. Marquette had to assume full direction of
the business, Mr. Sheridan dying. Eventually, Mr.
Marquette, with the cooperation of Henry N. Bean,
established the firm of Marquette & Company, which
soon entered upon a satisfactory volume of production.
The plant is situated on River street, and the company
specializes in women's cut soles for high class lines of
welt shoes.

Mr. Marquette is well known in the Massachusetts
shoe industry, and has a fair share of the local trade
with manufacturers. He is a member of all the local
Masonic bodies, is affiliated with the Commercial Trav-
elers' Association, and socially belongs to the Agawam
and Pentucket clubs. He is a Baptist, a member of
the First Baptist Church of Haverhill.

Mr. Marquette has been twice married. In 1906 he
married Angle M. Yeaton, who died in 1912, having
given birth to one child, a daughter, Patience Alden,
who was born in 1907. In 191 6 Mr. Marquette mar-
ried (second) Bertha E. Herzog, daughter of Carl and
Minnie (Zuber) Herzog, who were of German birth,
but had long been residents of Lawrence, Massachu-
setts, where the former is still living in retirement.
The children of George H. and Bertha E. (Herzog)
Marquette are: Eliese, born in 1918; and Nance, born
in 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Marquette live at No. 21 Fern-
wood avenue, Haverhill.



JOSEPH R. BOYD— Among the growing manufac-
turing concerns connected with the Haverhill shoe
manufacturing industry is the Boyd Leather Company,
of which Joseph R. Boyd is the owner. It is less than
three years since the company was established, yet it
may now be stated to be well established and showing
a promising expansion, due of course to the capable
direction Mr. Boyd has held over its operations.

Joseph R. Boyd was born in Arcadia, Nova Scotia,
on February 23, 1880, son of George F. and Mary
CRobbins) Boyd, of that place. The former was a
shoe maker, and died in 1902, but the mother of Joseph
R. Boyd survived her husband for eighteen years, her
demise not occurring until 1920.

Joseph R. Boyd rose to manhood in his native place.
He attended the Arcadia school in his boyhood and
youth, and after leaving school, worked for four years
in the tannery of Joseph Robbins, at Arcadia, thus
gaining good knowledge of leather. He came to Haver-
hill in 1899, and for a year thereafter worked for Len-
nox & Briggs Company, his next employers being Pros-
ser & Smith, with which firm he stayed for two and a
half years. For a while he was with W. W. Appleton,



322



ESSEX COUNTY



and later with George H. Webster, both of Haverhill,
and his last years of service were with the Durkee
Leather Company, of Haverhill. He was foreman in
the plant of that company for five years, leaving them
in 1 919 to establish the Boyd Leather Company. He
opened a manufacturing plant at No. 317 Groveland
street, Haverhill, in September, 1919, and since has
specialized in the manufacture of children's soles, taps,
and counters. He knows the leather and shoe business
thoroughly, and is active and enterprising, so there is
no good reason for believing that his first years of
good independent business will not be followed by
others just as good, and that his volume of production
will not continue to increase as the years pass. Mr.
Boyd applies himself closely to his business.

Mr. Boyd married (first), in 1906, Minerva R. Tay-
lor, of Amesbury, who died in 1907, having borne him
a son, Kenneth T., born in that year. More than four
years later, in December, 191 1, Mr. Boyd married (sec-
ond) Alice L. Glines, of Haverhill, daughter of Fer-
naldo A. and Martha D. (Hamlin) Glines, the former
a butcher in Haverhill until his death, which occurred
in 1913. To Joseph R. and Alice L. (Glines) Boyd has
been born one child, a daughter, Dorothy L., born in
1916.



URBAN W. LEAVITT— In the year 1865, which
brought an end to the Civil War, the two Hanscom
brothers established themselves in business in Haver-
hill, Massachusetts, as hardware merchants, at No. 30
Main street. The business is still being continued, and
what is more has grown until its trading embraces not
only local trade, but a considerable volume of trading
throughout the northern states, and especially in New
England. The business was conducted for thirty-five
years under the name of Hanscom Brothers, in 1900
becoming the Hanscom Hardware Company. It, how-
ever, still remained a private partnership, corporate
powers not being sought until 1908, when it became the
Hanscom Hardware Company, Inc., under which name
it has since been conducted. When the company was
reconstructed and incorporated in 1908, John Mason
became president, and Urban W. Leavitt the treasurer
of the new company, and these two men are still the
chief executives. The business has expanded to note-
worthy dimensions, and latterly the company has
required three buildings for the proper conduct of its
business. They have about 45,000 square feet of floor
space, and use it all, which is an indication of the
extent of their trading. It is said that the business of
the Hanscom Hardware Company, Inc., is about double
that of any other Haverhill hardware firm. They man-
ufacture the well known Saggahew brand of sporting
goods, which is in demand throughout the northern and
eastern States.

Urban W. Leavitt is a native of Haverhill, Massa-
chusetts, born in the city on December 28, 1886, son of
George E. and Laura A. (Whittaker) Leavitt, of that
place, where the former was in business, as contractor
and builder, until his death in 1891. Urban W. was
then only in his fifth year, but his mother was able to
care for him, and he was educated in the Haverhill
public schools, being able to remain in school until he
had passed through the high school, a member of the



class of 1905. He afterwards took a course at the
Haverhill Business College. He showed good business
aptitude very soon after entering commercial afltairs,
and soon became credit man with the Hanscom Hard-
ware Company, Inc., three years later taking part in
the reconstruction of the company, and becoming its
treasurer, which capacity he has since held.

Mr. Leavitt is a Mason, holding membership up to
the commandery, and belongs to Haverhill bodies of
that order. Socially he belongs to the Agawam Club,
of Haverhill. He is widely known in the city and
vicinity.

Mr. Leavitt married, in 1914, Florence White, of
Haverhill, daughter of J. W. and Hattie F. (Silloway)
White, the former a merchant of Lawrence, Massachu-
setts. Mr. and Mrs. Leavitt have two children: Laura
Frances, born in 1015; and Christine Louise, born in
1917.



FATHER JOSEPH HECTOR COTfi, of Ames-
bury, Massachusetts, was born in Saint Francois, Que-
bec, Canada, July 28, 1873, son of Alfred and Alize
(Paul) Cote, who were both of Canadian birth. He
was educated for the priesthood at the seminary in
Nicolet, Canada, and was ordained to the priesthood on
July 2, 1899. Entering upon work in holy orders as
curate at Nicolet, Canada, he remained there in that
capacity for four years, until March of 1903, when he
was appointed to a curacy in the United States. For
the next two years he was curate in Lynn, Massachu-
setts, and for eight years thereafter was pastor at
Shirley, Massachusetts, leaving that parish in 1913 to
come to Amesbury as pastor of the Sacred Heart Church
of that place. That has been his station and office
since, but in addition Father Cote is head of the Sacred
Heart Parochial School, which is in high standing
among the schools of Essex county. Its enrollment is
now about four hundred and fifty scholars, and its
curriculum is equal to that of other public schools of
its class. The school teaching staff consists of eleven
sisters of a Catholic order.

The Sacred Heart Church is one of the oldest French-
Canadian Catholic churches in the Amesbury district,
and the parish embraces more than 2,000 people. Father
Cote is widely respected in that part of Massachusetts,
as is Father Bernard, curate at Amesbury.



RALPH WALDO BARNARD, business man, of
Newburyport, Massachusetts, was born in Candia, New
Hampshire, March 27, 1894, son of James L. and Ida
May (Sargent) Barnard. His father was engaged in
the shoe industry until his retirement in 1915.

The public schools of Haverhill and the Peterboro
School for Boys afforded Mr. Barnard his early edu-
cation, and soon after leaving school he went to work
in Boston, Massachusetts, where he was employed by
the Boston Optical Company, remaining for a year, at
the end of which time he returned to Haverhill, and
there following the same line of business, was employed
by the M. J. Fowler Company, in the capacity of fore-
man of the bench-room, where the making and repair-
ing of glasses is carried on. For eleven years he
remained with this company, adding to his experience
and knowledge of the business ; in 1919 he became a



THE WfiW 'tO:..; •
PUBLIC LIBRAH /

ASTOR, LENOX
•rtubEN F0UNPAT10^|_



BIOGRAPHICAL



323



registered optometrist, and two years later engaged in
business on his own account, associating himself with
E. W. Longfellow, of Newburyport. Fraternally, Mr.
Barnard is a member of the Masonic order and the
Knights of Pytliias.

Mr. Barnard married, in 191 7, Doris Haseltine Bailey,
of Haverhill, and their children are: Doris Barbara,
and Ralph Waldo, Jr. Mrs. Barnard's father, David
Bailey, is engaged in the clothing business in Haver-
hill. With his family Mr. Barnard attends the First
Baptist Church of Newburyport, Massachusetts.



HERBERT EASTMAN KENNEY, pharmacist, of
Swampscott, Massachusetts, was born July 11, 1868, in
Littleton, New Hampshire, son of Lorenzo and Martha
A, (Eastman) Kenney. He was educated in the public
and high schools of his native town, subsequently
attending the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy at
Boston, graduating in 1890 with his degree. Returning
to Littleton, Mr. Kenney was employed there as a
druggist for eight years, after which time he became
associated with the Riker-Jaynes Company, where he
remained for fifteen years, being located part of the
time at Boston and part at Lynn. The present branch
store at Lynn was opened and started by Mr. Kenney.
In igi5 he engaged in the drug business for himself at
Swampscott, under the name of the Puritan Drug
Company.

Mr. Kenney is a member of the Masonic Club, and
the Masonic lodge and chapter at Swampscott, the
council and commandery at Lynn, and the consistory at
Nashua, New Hampshire. With his family he attends
the Episcopal church.

Mr. Kenney married, April 9, 1895, Lizzie JiL Bailey,
daughter of Richard C. Bailey, and their daughter
Berniece was born November 9, 1896, at Littleton.



FRANK H. THOMPSON— The city of Lynn, Mas-
sachusetts, has of course long been widely known as a
shoe manufacturing centre, but in connection with its
shoe industry it has one unique distinction — within it
is the only American factory in which celluloid box
toes are manufactured. It is an appreciable industry,
and the enterprise and initiative of the men at the
head of this firm, the Preble-Thompson Company, Inc.,
have developed a business which now reaches to inter-
national markets, with prospects of steady expansion,
both in this country and abroad.

Frank H. Thompson, the president of this Lynn
company, was bom in Northwood, New Hampshire,
July 4, 1866, son of Charles N. and Martha S. (Sea-
ward) Thompson. The former died in 1905. He was a
farmer at Barrington, New Hampshire, while his wife
was of Strafford, New Hampshire.

Frank H. Thompson was educated in the public
schools of Dover, New Hampshire. After leaving
school he entered the shoe factory of W. W. Williams
2nd T. G. Plant, at Lynn, and there learned how to
make shoes. His next employers were Messrs. \ViI-
liams and Clark, of Lynn. He remained with that
company for twenty-five years, and for almost all the
time was in responsible position. Indeed, for the
greater part of the twenty-five years he was in full
charge of the plant, and his record of service to that



company is an enviable one. He left them in 1913 in
order to take up the manufacture of celluloid box toes,
and for that purpose he and George L. Preble formed
the Preble-Thompson Company, and began to manu-
facture in a small factory on Almond street. In 1914
the prospect of success was so good, indeed the demand
for their unique product was so definite, that the part-
ners moved to larger quarters at No. 334 Broad street,
which is still the business address of the company. The
plant uses about 3,000 square feet of floor space, which
is sufficient for the present, though the indications of
expansion are by no means indefinite. The company
was incorporated in 1914, and the following then became,
and still are, the officers of the Preble-Thompson Com-
pany, Inc. : Frank H. Thompson, president ; Charles
Balcom, vice-president ; George L. Preble, secretary.

Fraternally, Mr. Thompson is a member of the
Knights of Pythias. Socially he belongs to the Oxford
Club, and he also is a member of the Homestead Golf
Club, of Danvers.

Mr. Thompson married, October 7, 1884, Annie B.
Estabrook, daughter of John and Annie (Bowser) Esta-
brook, of Sackton, New Brunswick, where Mr. Esta-
brook is a contractor. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson have
two children : Florence, who was born in 1887 ; and
Martha, born in 1890, who married William F. Lucke,
who is connected with Sheridan Brothers, of New York
City, and they have a daughter, Eunice F. Lucke.



DR. JAMES JOHNSTON McVEY, since 1909 a
practicing dentist in Haverhill, Massachusetts, was bom
in St. John, New Brunswick, in 1875, son of Andrew
and Mary (Baxter) McVey, of that place. The schools
of his native city afforded him his education, and he later
attended the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy, then
engaged in the drug business while he studied dentistry,
receiving his degree of D. M. D. from Tufts College,
in iQog. Immediately he returned to Haverhill and
engaged in the practice of his profession at No. 191
Merrimac street, and he has met with well deserved
success. During the World War, 1917-18, Dr. McVey
was president of the Haverhill Dental Society, in
charge of the enlisted men, and he was school dentist
for the two years, 1917-19. He is a member of the
Haverhill Dental Association ; and the Northeastern
Dental Association, of which he is also a director.

Dr. McVey married, in igi2, Blanche E. Garvin, of
Haverhill, and they attend the Centre Congregational
Church, Dr. McVey being a member of the Men's Club
of that institution ; he also is a member of the Ward-
hill Young Men's Club.



JOSEPH H. JACQUES, jeweler, of Haverhill, Mas-
sachusetts, was born at St. Pierre, Canada, July 21,
1871, son of Prudent and .Agnes (Hamel) Jacques, of
Lotbiniere, Canada, where his father was engaged in
farming all his life; his mother died in 1912.

Joseph H. Jacques was educated in the public schools
of Manchester, New Hampshire, and after leaving
school began to learn the textile business in the same
city. Four years later he decided to learn the trade of
watchmaker and jeweler. He worked for others in that
trade until 1905, when he opened as a jeweler in Haver-
hill. Since that year he has been steadily developing



324



ESSEX COUNTY



a good business. His store is located at No. 17 Esse.x
street, and he has had good success.

Mr. Jacques is a member of the Haverhill Chamber of
Commerce, belongs to a Canadian fraternal order, the St.
Jean Baptiste Patriot, and also is a member of the
Independent Foresters of America. In religion he is a
Catholic, a member of St. Joseph's Catholic Church, of
Haverhill.

Mr. Jacques married, in 1899, Petronille Duquette, of
Worcester, Massachusetts.



local civic authorities as a special police officer. Polit-
ically he is a Republican.

Mr. Wallace married, July 31, 1905, Ellen M. Barry,
of Merrimac.



LYSANDER D. CUDWORTH was born at North
Woburn, Massachusetts, on January 4, 1855, and is a
son of John R. and Nancy B. (Stiles) Cudworth. Mr.
Cudworth's father, who was born at Greenfield, New
Hampshire, and died in 1886, was a shoe manufacturer.
His mother, Nancy B. (Stiles) Cudworth, was a native
of Vermont.

Mr. Cudworth received his early education in the
public schools of Chelsea, Massachusetts. After his
graduation from the Chelsea High School, Mr. Cud-
worth became associated with his brother, G. L. Cud-
worth, in the shoe manufacturing business. This asso-
ciation lasted for five years and then, in 1S89, Mr. Cud-
worth, who has always had decided artistic tastes, left
his brother and engaged in the business of sign paint-
ing at Chelsea. He remained at Chelsea until 1905,
when he removed to Haverhill. He is still engaged in
the sign painting business, having his offices at No. 60
Fleet street. Aside from his business, Mr. Cudworth
has a wide reputation as a painter of great technical
ability and deep artistic feeling. His paintings have
won recognition for him from artists and the general
public throughout the State. He has never married.



CHARLIE EDGAR WALLACE, owner of the

Wallace Ice Company, of Merrimac, Massachusetts,
was born in Taylor Village, New Brunswick, on Novem-
ber 4, 1875. son of James Levi and Clara (Steves)
Wallace, of that place. James Levi Wallace was a
wood-worker until his death, which occurred in 1913,
three years before the death of his wife.

Charlie E. Wallace was still a boy when the Wallace
family took up residence in Merrimac. He was edu-
cated in the public school of his native place in Canada,
and later in the schools of Merrimac. For the long
period of twenty-five years after leaving school he was
connected with the I. B. Little Company, of Merrimac,
dealers in carriage materials. After leaving the Little
Company, he was for two years in the employ of the
Walker, Wells Company, of Amesbury. When he left
it was to enter into business for himself, although in an
altogether different line. He bought out the Stapler
Ice Company, continuing it under the name of the Wal-
lace Ice Company, and he has since held to that busi-
ness, with appreciable success.

Mr. Wallace is well known in the Merrimac district,
and belongs to several fraternal organizations. He is a
member of Riverside Lodge, Independent Order of
Odd Fellows ; Ancient Order of United Workmen ;
Rebekah Lodge; United Commercial Travellers' Asso-
ciation, of Haverhill, and to the local Grange. For
two years he consented in an emergency to assist the



WILLFRED WEYMOUTH LUFKIN, a promi-
nent citizen of Essex, Massachusetts, was born there
March 10, 1879, and was educated in the public schools
and the Gloucester High School. The career of a news-
paper correspondent attracted him at an early age, and
after several years of preparation he took up this pro-
fession in which he was engaged for a time. Mr. Luf-
kin has been very active in public matters, and from
1917 to 1919 he was a member of the Massachusetts
Constitutional Convention, also a member of Congress
from the Sixth Massachusetts District during the
Sixty-fifth, Sixty-sixth and Sixty-seventh congresses.
Mr. Lufkin, at the present time, occupies the position
of collector of customs of the port of Boston and dis-
trict of Massachusetts, having resigned his seat in
Congress on July I, 1921, to accept this appointment at
the hands of President Warren G. Harding.

Fraternally he is a Mason, a member of the Benev-
olent and Protective Order of Elks ; also the Knights
of Pythias; and the Grange. His clubs are: the Army
and Navy Club of Washington; the National Press
Club of that city ; the City Club of Boston ; the Salem
and Colonial clubs of Salem, Massachusetts ; the Wa-
chusett and Agawam clubs of Haverhill, Massachu-
setts ; the Union Club of Beverly, and the Common-
wealth Club of Gloucester.

Mr. Lufkin married, November 7, 1914, Georgia Story,
daughter of Arthur and Margie Story, and they are
the parents of three daughters and a son : Willf red, Jr.,
Constance G., Edith, and Elizabeth.



LEROY CLIFTON RIDLON, manufacturer, of
Haverhill, Massachusetts, was born at Hiram, Maine,
July 20, 1884, son of Herbert H. and Susie E. (Ridlon)
Ridlon, the latter having the same name as her hus-
band, but no relation. His father, Herbert H. Ridlon,
was a native of Porter, Maine, and was for many years
engaged in the lumber industry. Mr. Ridlon's mother
was also a native of Porter.

Leroy C. Ridlon's education was obtained in the
public schools, and after leaving school he entered the
business of shoe manufacturing, with an idea in mind
to learn the business. For six years he was with the
firm of E. J. Goodwin, then took up another branch of
the industry, the wood heel business. In the fall of
1919 he started his own business, having as a partner a
Mr. Wilbur, the firm name being Wilbur & Ridlon,
and this arrangement continued until the end of that
year. Then Mr. Ridlon bought the interests of Mr.
Cass, and in the early part of 1920 formed a partner-



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 9 of 56)