Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 122 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 122 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

tary, and J. E. Patterson, treasurer. In addition to
the officers, Mr. W. L. Darling, of Corry, Pa., is a

director. The salesrooms are located at 1222 State
street. In the second story of the building is a con-
.servatory of music which has 3.50 pupils. The third
story IS occupied by "Colby Hall," where every sea-
son recitals are given by "the leading artists of the
country. The hall is also. used for musical entertain-
ments by the pupils' of the conservatory. .Mrs. Colby,
the wife of C. C. Colby, is quite a noted artist
having studied several years at the academy in
New York city. She is of French parentage, although
born in the United .States. She has been an extensive
traveler and spent four years in the city of Vienna,
Austria. Mr. Colby had four children: Clara E. (who
married Mr. William Thoms, publisher and proprietor
of the American .Art Journal of New York), Charles C.
(who married Crertrude Sturgeon, a talented
young pianist of Erie), Margaret (who married Mr.
Hayes Russell, of Erie), and Miss Pearl L.Colby (who
will graduate from the University of Michigan at Ann
Arbor in 189.5).

John J. Burgoytie, liveryman, Erie, was born
in Harbor Creek township, Erie county, January 26,
1853, and is a son of James and Rosa Ann (Duggan)
Burgoyne, natives of county Donegal, Ireland. His
father came to America and located on a farm in Har-
bor Creek township as early as 1844; he died August
15, 1888. Mrs. Burgoyne now lives on East Sixth
street, Erie. The family consisted of nine children,
two of whom are living: Miss Susan Burgoyne and
John J., who was educated in the public schools, and
followed the business of farming until the spring of
1884, when he secured a position as mail carrier in
Erie. He held this position for six years and three
months, when he resigned, having a short time pre-
viously made arrangements to engage in his present
business. His stable, located at 7()1 French street, is
one of the most convenient and best regulated in the
city. He. resides at the corner of Sixth and Wallace

streets. Mr. Burgoyne was married November 4,
to Miss Minnie Hanley, sister of City Treasurer Han-
ley, and has six children, viz.; Sarah V ., James and
Agnes (twins), Susan, Leo and John. Mr. Burgoyne
and family are memfjers of the Catholic Church. Po-
litically he has always been a Democrat.

David Schlosser, lumber manufacturer and
dealer, Erie, Pa., was born in Mayence, Germany, De-
cember 25, 1844, and is a son of Michael and Barbara
(Kapp) Schlosser. His father, who was a butcher and
cattle dealer, reared a family of five children, of whom
David is the second. He was educated in Mayence, and
for some years assisted his father; he also butchered as
well as dealt in cattle on his own account. In 1865
he came to the United States and located in Erie, where
he followed peddling for two years. He then went to
Spring Creek, Warren county. Pa., where he opened a
small store, and later engaged in lumbering. In 1873
he returned to Erie and started a planing-mill in the
old woolen-mill, at the northeast corner of Sixteenth
and State streets, where he remained a year and a half.
He then purcha.sed a lot and built a mill on ground
leased of the Lake Shore R. R., on Fourteenth street,
between French and Holland, where he remained until
1891, when he built his i)resent mill at Fifteenth and
Sassafras streets. The plant covers four acres and the
power of the mill is sixty-horse. The products include
all kinds of wooden material for building purposes.



Mr. Schlosser was married November 18, 1869, to Miss
Hannah Davis, dautrhternf Mr. Henry D. Davis. ofCin-

Schiusser and laniily unr.sli]|. at Ih.' IIiI.ivm Smki-
gogiie. He is a Master Mason and ,1 hh ml)- 1 cil iIm
1. 6. O. F., the A. O. U. \V. and the S,.m> ,il I;, uiumn.
He is independent in politics and has >ri\,d tin ntv
as a member of the common council two terms; this
was during the erection of the City Hall, and he was
chosen chairman of the finance committee.

William H. Hill,

W ,

(Davis) Hill. I!i> litlir, ,,,„„. „iil, i|„. I.niiiiy to
America in Is.'.:', ,iihl I... ,ii..| m, u Ihtc he has
since been iiiiIm (iniiinN nl iIh' r.un.ilo (las Light
Company, foruli. Mil 1hIi.i>.i, h-,| ,i> I,,i ,111,111 Inrthepast
twenty-fixe yeiii.s. Ilu- iaiiiiK i.i)ii>i.-.ti',l ,,1 three chil-
dren, of whom \\ ilHam is the imlv survivor. He was
educated in the public schools of Buffalo, and at the
age of sixteen years bi-.m an apprenticeship with
L)avid r.cll.of P.iirfjjd. l(. Ii.iin the machinist trade,
which 1m ii.i si\ \;,iiN. IK- then secured a
positiiMi .IS I ii'j iiici I nil ihc l.ikcs, which he followed
two yc,ir>, .ifti 1 « hi. h In- .11, cpti d ihesuperintendency
of Pratt \- Co.'s idlliiig-mill, liuffalo, where he remained
three years. He next entered the employ of the Buf-
falo fire department, where he continued ten years,
being master mechanic for the last eight years of that
time. In 1884 he came to Erie to accept his present
position. Mr. Hill built, owns and manages the tugs
\V. L. Scott and Erie. He was married Ilecember 12,
1869, to Miss Matilda, daughter of Mr. David Bvcrs,
of Buffalo, by whom he ha'^s four rInMr. n : W illmni J.
(who is a gas fitter in the em]ilo\ cil thi I .ni ( ' ( Um-
pany), Robert I), (engineer i.f tlic tiii; friri. Ktl.i M,
and'Frederick Charles. Mr. Hill and family worship
at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, of which he is a mem-
ber. He is a Chapter Mason and a member of the
A. O. U. W. and the Elks. He is a Democrat po-
litically, and was appointed tire commissioner of
Erie in 1888, serving till 1894.

Christian Michael Jacobsou was born Septem-
ber 28, 1843, near Copenhagen, Denmark, received a
meagre schooling, and was early apprenticed to learn
thetrade of blacksmith, serving the full term of five
years. In 1866 he came to the United States, and
found employment in a carriage works at Jamestown,
N. Y. Shortly thereafter he went to Fredonia and was
employed at that place or in the vicinity for sixteen
years in carriage making. Later he formed a partner-
ship with Henry Totman, for the manufacture and re-
pair of carriages and vehicles at Meadville, Pa. In
February, 1893, the firm, Totman 6t Jacobson, removed
to its present location. Twelfth and French streets,
Erie, Pa. Mr. Jacobson was married October 17, 1873,
to Emma, daughter of Andrew Johnson, a farmer of
Chautaucjua county. New York. Mrs. Jacobson died
on February 7, 1893, leaving two children, Emma and
Oscar. The family reside at 1225 French street, and
are members of the Central Presbyterian Church.

Horace Newell Thayer, manufacturer, Erie, Pa.,
was born in Burke, Franklin county, N. Y., November

2, 1854. He is a son of Jason P. and Elizabeth A.
Thayer, natives of New England, and of English de-
scent. Jason P. Thayer was and is a farmer of Frank-
lin county. New York, and his son, Horace, received
only the meagre education attainable in the winter
sessions of a country school. From his twelfth year
111 .issisii .1 his father and neighboring farmers, and
roiiiiiiui .1 to be so employed until 1871,' when he went
to Mass.iihusetts, where he found employment as
ferryman, having charge of the boat at Smith's Ferry,
on the Connecticut river, between Holyoke and
Northampton. This position he held for one year.
On December 10, 1872, he located in Erie, and was for
three years in the employ of J. F. Downing. In 1876,
at his earnest solicitation, he was given a place in the
Erie chair factory (owned by Mr. Downing), and
shortly thereafter was made foreman of that estab-
lishment. In 1878, the business of manufacturing
children's carriages was added, and the concern was
known as the Downing Carriage Company. The fol-
lowing year Mr. Downing's interest was purchased by
H. N. Thayer and C. F. Bostwick, who conducted the
business until 1886, when Mr. Thayer purchased his
partner's interest, and took his fjrother, Henry N.
Thayer into the concern. This partnership continued
until 1890, when a stock company was formed by
Messrs. J. F. Downing, Wellington Downing, George
Talcott, William Town and Henry A. and Horace N.
Thayer, which company continued the business until
April 1, 1892. when the old plant was utterly destroyed
by fire. While the conflagration was at its height, Mr.
Horace N. Thayer undertook to lead the firemen into
a more advantageous position in their fight with the
flames, and in so doing received the brunt of an explo-
sion that very nearly cost him his life. Within two
months, however, he had sufficiently recovered to un-
ili it.iko the restoration of the manufacturing plant;
niu buildings were erected on the old site (East
Eighteenth, between German and Holland streets),
new and improved machinery was put in, and by No-
vember 10 of the same year business was resumed by
the present firm of H. N. Thayer & Co., composed of
Horace N. Thayer and John A. Lang. The firm man-
ufactures children's carriages, express wagons and
carriage hardware. The steel wheel and rubber tire
used in the firm's manufactures are the inventions and
patents of Mr. H. N. Thayer. Mr. Thayer was mar-
ried in April, 1879, to Julia R., daughter of William
Rowe, an organ builder of Bristol, England, then en-
gaged in the same business in this city. Of five chil-
dren born of this marriage but two, Clarence and Ro-
land, survive. Mrs. Thayer died February 26, 1894.
Mr. Thayer was again married July 9, 1895, to Ren?
E., daughter of Fayette Langdon, a prominent farmer
and apiarist of Franklin county, New York. The
family reside at 217 East Seventeenth street, and are
members of the First Baptist Church. Mr. Thayer
has devoted much time and means to the interests of
the church, and was most actively indentified in
establishing four of its missions: Faith Chapel (now
Second Baptist Church), Wesleyville Mission (now
Baptist Church), West Eighteenth Street Mission and
Hope Mission. A sad loss sustained by Mr. Thayer
was in the sudden death of his mother by a railroad
accident at Chicago, December 6, 1893. Notwithstand-
ing the business reverses and other misfortunes to
which he has been subjected, Mr. Thayer has cour-
ageously and industriously persevered, and now has


the satisfaction of seeing in the business of his com-
pany a far more prosperous condition than has been
known in its history, and that it is numbered among
the leading and most enterprising of the industries of
the Gem City of the Lakes.

Heary Morris Eaton, attorney, Erie, Pa., was
born July 18, 1869, at Clarion, Clarion county, Pa. He
is a son of Morris and Flora C. (McCrea) Eaton, both
natives of Pennsylvania, the former of English and the
latter of Scotch-Irish descent. Morris Eaton has been
engaged in the oil producing business since the dis-
covery of oil in Venango county, and is a resident of
Titusville, Pa. Henry M. Eaton completed his edu-
cation at Cornell University, from which institution he
was graduated in June, 1890. He studied law under
the preceptorship of Roger Sherman, of Titusville, was
admitted to the bar September, 1891, and soon there-
after removed to Erie, Pa., where he became associated
with the editorial staff of the Dispatch, occupying the
position of telegraph editor of that paper until Sep-
tember 1, 1894, when he entered upon the practice of
his profession. He is a Republican, and is actively
identified with his party's interests as a member of the
county committee.

Charles Whitehead, president of the Keystone
Rubber Works, Erie, Pa., was born near Trenton, N.
J., February 3, 1848. He is the son of the late William
and Ann Parker (Valentine) Whitehead, the former a
native of Saddlesworth, England, the latter of New
England birth and of French descent. William White-
head was engaged for many years in the manufacture
of woolen and knit goods at Trenton, N. J., during the
latter years of his lite, near Philadelphia, Pa. His wife
died in January, 1859; he died in 1890. Charles White-
head was educated in the schools of Trenton, and was
for several years thereafter associated with his father
in the woolen goods manufacture. In 1872 his father
and three of his father's brothers established a rubber
manufacturing business in which Charles became en-
gaged. In 1882 he came to Erie and, in connection
with two brothers, William H. and Nathaniel J. White-
head, established a plant for the manufacture of rub-
ber goods, which was subsequently ciperated by a stock
company, and known as the Erie Rubber Cnmpany,
of which Charles Whitehead was president. The com-
pany's plant was destroyed by fire in the fall of 1887,
but was restored and continued to be operated by the
same company until 1894, when it went into assign-
ment. A new company was subsequently established,
which is known as the Keystone Rubber Works, of
which Charles Whitehead is president. The plant is
located at the corner of East avenue and Twelfth
streets, and manufactures belting, hose, packing,
valves, car-springs, bicycle tires and other rubber
goods. Mr. Whitehead is unmarried and resides at
1.56 West Seventh street.

Henry Butterfield, attorney-at-law, Erie, Pa.,
was born in 1846, in Buffalo township, Butler county.
Pa. He was educated in the public .schools at Sharps-
burg and at the Western University at Pittsburg.
When a boy he removed to the city of Erie, where he
has since resided. He was appointed to a clerkship in
the office of the prothonotary of Erie county when in
his teens, and was subsequently promoted to deputy
prothonotary. He was transcribing clerk of the House

of Representatives in 1864 and 1865. The same year
Governor Curtin appointed him clerk to the courts of
Erie county, to fill an unexpired term, and he was sub-
sequently elected for the full term. While filling this
office he read law and was admitted to the bar. Soon
after he was appointed district attorney to fill a vacancy.
In 1873 he was elected a member of the House of
Representatives from Erie county, and he served in
the session of 1874, when the city of Erie was made a
separate Legislative district. At the expiration of his
term he was unanimously renominated, but (to use his
own language) was almost unanimously defeated by
Hon. William Henry, a Democrat. Mr. Butterfield
was elected to the Senate in 1875 for the short term,
under the new constitution, and was re-electAl for a
full term in 1876, serving until 1881. He continued in
active practice of the law from his admission to the
bar until 1892, when he was again elected to the House
of Representatives, defeating his Democratic opponent
by nearly 200 votes in a strong Democratic district.
Mr. Butterfield took a prominent part in the pro-
ceedings of the House, ffe was a member of the com-
mittees on judiciary, general elections, federal rela-
tions and manufactures, and chairman of the com-
mittee on public grounds and buildings, and reported
the bill for improving the capitol and building a fire-
proof State library, and appropriating $625,000 for the
same; member of the special committee to investigate
the charges of corruption made against certain mem-
bers of the House incident to the bill abolishing the
public building commission of Philadelphia. Mr. But-
terfield is an earnest and eloquent talker, a ready de-
bater, and was a valuable member of the House.
Whatsoever his hand findeth to do, he does with his
might, and thus generally succeeds. He is widely
known, and has legions of friends who predict for him
a promising future. He was judge advocate, with the
rank of major-in-staff of Gen. Henry Huidekoper, N.
G. P., from 1880 to 1884.

Edward Powell Gould, attorney and member of
the A.ssembly from Erie, Pa., was born in Springfield
township, Erie county, Pennsylvania, March 6, 1834.
He is a son of the late Nathan Gould, a native of New
York, who removed in 1814 to Springfield township,
Pennsylvania, where he died in 1879, and Margaret
(Nicholas) Gould, who resides in Springfield township,
and is now (1895) 87 years of age. Edward P. Gould
received his early schooling in the common schools of
Springfield township, continued it at the Kingsville,
Ohio, and West Springfield, Pa., academies, and com-
pleted it at the University of Rochester, N. Y., from
which institution he was graduated in 1859. He then
began the study of law under the preceptorship of
■ ' D. Husbands, of Rochester, N. Y. At the
g out of the war he enlisted in Co. E, 27th N. Y.
V. I., and was, upon its organization, elected second
lieutenant of his company. He succeeded to a first
lieutenancy February 2, 1862, to its captaincy in No-
vember of the same year, and was mustered out with
his company in May, 1863. In August, 1863, he was
commissioned to raise a regiment, and entered upon
that duty, and the following month was commissioned
a United States general recruiting officer with head-
quarters in Rochester, N. Y., and continued in that
service until January, 1865. The 27th N. Y. V. I., Col-
onel Slocum commanding (until his promotion to a
brigadier generalship), was in the first battle of Bull




Run, and participated in all the engagements of the
army of the Potomac until it was mustered out. For
two years subsequent to the close of the war Colonel
Gould was engaged in mercantile pursuits in Roches-
ter, N. Y. Resuming the study of law, he was ad-
mitted to practice in 1867. In 1872 he was chosen
chief clerk of the State department, Albany, N. Y., a
position which he filled for two years. The degree of
bachelor of law was conferred upon him in the Al-
bany Law School in 1873. Following his State de-
partment chief clerkship, he acted as legislative at-
torney for several New York city interests, until his
removal in 1875 to Erie, Pa., where he entered upon
the practice of his profession. From 1883 to 1887, he
was associated with the late Samuel L. Gilson. Mr.
Gould is a Republican and is the present representa-
tive of the Erie city district to the State Legislature.
Colonel Gould has been actively identified with the
public charities of the commonwealth, is a prominent
member of the Association of Directors of the Poor
and Charities of the State of Pennsylvania, and
was chairman of that associatiun for the year 1893.
He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic
and Union Veteran Legion. Mr. Gould was married
June 24, 1868, to Mary, daughter of the late Daniel
P. Ensign, an old resident and prominent business
man of Erie. Colonel and Mrs. Gould and daughter.
Miss Edwina, reside at 20 West Eighth street, and are
members of St. Paul's Episcopal Chnrch.

Col. Charles M. Lynch, attorney, 505 French
street, Erie, Pa., was born at Erie, Pa., April 10, 1842.
He is a son of Charles and Mary Ann (Parmater)
Lynch, the former a native of Buffalo, N. Y., the latter
of Erie county, Pennsylvania. Charles Lynch, sr.,
is a descendant of one of the signers of the Declara-
tion of Independence, and his wife's father fought in
the war of 1812. Charles M. Lynch began the study
of law under the preceptorship of the late Col. Benja-
min Grant, one of Pennsylvania's leading lawyers in
his day. After the breaking out of the war of the
rebellion he aided in forming the 145th P. V. A camp
was formed at Erie and a regiment of 1,000 men waa
soon mustered in, with the late General Brown as
colonel. Company D, commanded by Captain Lynch,
was chosen to carry the colors of the regiment — a
charge which they did not relinquish until the sur-
render of Lee. Owing to bravery and meritorious
service Captain Lynch was soon commissioned major,
then lieutenant-colonel and breveted colonel. He
took an active part in the battles of Antietam, Fred-
ericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Mine Run,
Auburn, Bristow Station, Pollopotemy Creek, Cold
Harbor, Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, North
Ann River and the siege of Petersburg, and was in
the field until the close of the war, being in command
in many of the battles. In the sjiring of 1863 he was
detailed as a judge advocate in the First Division of
the Second Army Cnr^s tin- trial of cases in court
martial. He was ba.llv Drcember 13, 1862,
while leading a charge mi .si. M.irv's Height, in the
battle of Fredericksburg, \ a., and being found by his
friends at night, was carried from the field from under
the guns of the enemy. It was supposed that he was
dead, but with careful treatment he recovered, still

carrying, however, a memento of the battle — a

ball which the surgeon was unable to extract. After

regaining his health, in April, 1863, he was offered his

discharge, with a recommendation for a pension, by
Dr. Clymer, medical director of the Army of the
Potomoc, and was also proffered a choice of several
excellent appointments in the civil service. He
returned to the field, and in the second day's battle of
Gettysburg was again wounded while leading a charge,
with the colors in his hand; he remained on the field,
however, and continued in the fight until night caused
a cessation of hostilities. That day's battle really
decided the result of the war, as has been conceded
by the foremost generals on both sides. During a
charge in the terrible contest at the foot of Round Top,
Captain Hilton, afterwards postmaster at Erie, Pa.,
was shot by an escaping confederate, and fell with his
thigh bone splintered close to his body. Col. Lynch,
who had captured several confederates, ordered two
of them, amidst a deadly fire from their own forces, to
assist in carrying the wounded officer to the rear. To
aid in this work he also detailed Sergeant Wheeler, of
Franklin township. Company D, and a private (who
was killed a few moments later by a shot from one of
his own troops). In this frightful conflict, where the
ground was covered with dead from both sides, there
was a large gap left on the right flank of the First
Division of the Second Army Corps, which the enemy
tried to take advantage of by swinging a large body of
troops into the open space to cut off their rear. The
Pennsylvania Reserves by that time swept up from
the rear and relieved the First Division, which had
been out of ammunition for some time, and were
fighting hand to hand; the curtain of night fell, and
the battle of Gettysburg was won. Col. Lynch,
though wounded, was with the regiment the next day,
July 2, in the memorable charge of Pickett's division
of Longstreet's corps, "which was simply an artillery
duel between the two armies, and afterwards a
slaughter pen for the confederates. " This was the
decisive battle of the great rebellion. Col. Lynch
again took a prominent part in the charge upon
Spottsylvania Court House in the Wilderness cam-
paign. In command of his regiment, he led the
charge over the works of the enemy at early daylight,
when the Second Corps, with General Hancock in
command, surprised and captured the famous Stone-
wall Jackson brigade, with Generals Johnston, .Stewart
and a number of field and line officers and twenty-two
cannon. Col. Lynch was one of the first over the
works, and though wounded, mounted a captured
artillery horse and rode through the engagement to
the end. The next most prominent battle was that of
Cold Harbor, where the Union army charged Lee's
breastworks and was repulsed with terrible slaughter.
The brigade, in which was Col. Lynch's regiment,
with Col. Lynch in command of it, penetrated the
enemy's works, but was repelled by confederate
reinforcements, and they were unable to carry off the
captured cannon. This was the only point in Grant's
entire line which penetrated the enemy's works.
Col. Lynch's regiment had captured 300 prisoners,
who suffered greatly from the fire of their own troops
as the Union force was driven back. After retreating
a few rods Col. Lynch found a sunken road, where he
formed a fort, which was for one week the most
advanced position of the Army of the Potomac, until
the change of front to Petersburg. In this charge
Sergt. James Jordan was the only man in advance of
Col. Lynch. During the week that Col. Lynch
held this point the lines were so close that the orders


given on one side could be distinctly heard by the
other. The confederates charged three times to cap-
ture this point, but were repulsed with heavy loss.
Col. Lynch was in charge at Petersburg, \'a., of the
most advanced skirmish line, and formed the line
across the railroad upon which all the forts were

Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 122 of 192)