Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 127 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 127 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


son of Jacob and Agnes (Fossler) Aaron, natives of
Bavaria, where they were married, and where he was
eng;aged in the wine business. They came to the
United States in 1848, locating near Williamsport, Sus-
quehanna county. Pa. Here he engaged in farming
and continued to reside until 1856, when he removed
to Erie. He was first engaged in hotel keeping at the
corner of Peach and Fourteenth streets, and was
for a short time thereafter engaged in Harbor Creek
township, but returning to Erie April 1, 1865, he be-
came a railroad contractor, in which business he was
engaged until 1875, when he retired. Mr. and Mrs.
Jacob Aaron reside at 406 West Eighteenth street, and
are members of the English Lutheran Church. Their
son, Christopher B. Aaron, was educated in the public
schools at Erie, learned the trade of barber, and opened
a shop at 402 West Eighteenth street, where he was
engaged in business until 1869. In the latter year he
went to the oil regions and found employment at an
oil refining establishment in Titusville. A year later,
upon the death of the proprietor of the Lowry House,
Titusville, Mr. Aaron rented that hotel and continued
to manage it until its destruction by fire in 1874. Fol-
lowing this he was engaged two years in running the
Duft House, Titusville, and for the next two years was
proprietor of the Franklin House of the same place.
In 1879 he returned to Erie and opened a restaurant ,
at 402 West Eighteenth street, continuing it until April I



1, 1887. He was then engaged for several years as
agent for the Eureka Mineral Springs Company, of
Saegertown, Pa. In 1889 he was appointed collector of
city taxes for the Third ward, Erie, a position to which
he was reappointed each year until the spring of 1895.
From 1890 to 1895, with the exception of one year, he
also acted as school tax collector for the same ward.
Mr. Aaron has contributed in a material way to the
growth of Erie by the erection of a substantial busi-
ness block at Nos. 402, 404 and 406 West Eighteenth
street and dwelling houses at 421, 423 and 425 West
Sixteenth street, at 1810 Chestnut, 1718 Chestnut and
his own handsome residence at 1716 Chestnut street.
He was married January 11, 1876, to Anna Louise,
daughter of Christopher Wittwer, a native of the can-
ton Berne, Switzerland, and now a resident of Monti-
cello, Wis. Mr. and Mrs. C. B. Aaron have two chil-
dren, Elgie May and Lora, a pupil in the High School
class of '97, reside at 1716 Chestnut street, and are
members of the English Lutheran Church. Mr. Aaron
is a member of the A. O. U. W.

David Henry Edwards, Erie, Pa,, was born in
Utica, N. Y., March 23, 1857. He is a son of the late
David and Ellen (Morris) Edwards, natives of Bala,
North Wales. The Morris family came to the L^nited
States and located in Oneida county. New York. David
Edwards came to America when a young man and set-
tled in Utica, where he was married and engaged in
business until his death. His wife survives and re-
sides in Utica. David H. Edwards was educated in
the public schools and high school of L'tica and at the
Whitestown Academy, and then took a commercial
course at the McCreary & Shields Business College,
receiving his diploma therefrom in June, 1877. He
then started for the far West, but obtaining a book-
keepership with the firm of William Lawrence & Co.,
stock dealers, of Delaware, Ohio, he remained with
that firm three years and then located at Cranesville,
Erie county, Pa., where he established a general store,
which he ran in connection with the postmastership
for nine years. In 1889 he came to Erie and engaged in
business as manager of the People's Shoe Store. While
thus employed he received the Republican nomination
for county auditor. He was elected and served a full
term of three years, during the first year of which he con-
tinued his association with the People's Shoe Store.
During the last year of his term as auditor he received
the appointment of chief clerk under Poltmaster Hil-
ton. The latter position he resigned July 5, 1894, to
accept the position of office manager and bookkeeper
for the Lake Shore Nurseries, with which he is still
connected. He was married March 2, 1880, to Mary
L., daughter of John Godenow, who came from Os-
wego, N. Y., and settled in Cranesville, Erie county.
Mr. and Mrs. Edwards have three children, Lottie,
Frank and Ellen, reside at 420 Chestnut street. Mr.
Edwards is a member of the Knights of Honor.

Bennett Thomas Jones, partner in the Lake
City Machine Shop, Erie, Pa., was born in Erie, Pa.,
December 21, 185.5. He is a son of the late Bennett
and Nora (Griffin) Jones, the former a native of Wales,
and the latter of Ireland. They were married in Erie.
During the war Mr. Bennett Jones was assistant en-
gineer on U. S. S. Michigan and subsequently served
as engineer of the Erie Water Works. Both Mr. and
Mrs. Jones died in February, 1892. Bennett T. Jones





ym;?i\



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



677



received his education in the public schools of Erie,
learned the machinist's trade in the Erie City Iron
Works, and has been variously employed in that vo-
cation ever since. He was for two years in charge of
the radiator department of the Jarecki Company's
Twelfth street manufactory, and in 1892 formed his
present partnership association with Herman Ey in
the establishment of the Lake City Machine Shop.
Mr. Jones is also night foreman of the Erie forge. He
was married April 12, 1883, to Rose, daughter of Rob-
ert Reed, a farmer of Crawford county. She died July
17, 1892, leaving three children. Reed Bennett, Nora
Gertrude, and Anna Bernice. Mr. Jones resides at
423 West Eleventh street, and is a member of St.
Peter's Church.

Michael ForaM, Erie, Pa., was born m county
Tipperary, Ireland, in 1828, came to the United States
in 1849, and located in Erie in 1851. He found imme-
diate employment as a railroad repairer, and was thus
engaged until 1888. During the railroad war of 1862
he was one of a number of the employes of the Cleve-
land and Erie R. R. whose work was torn up by
citizens, as fast as completed, and who were each day
subjected to arrest and incarceration over night, only
to be bailed out by the railroad company and put to
work the following day. Mr. Foran had this unpleasant
experience for many days, and until the cessation of
hostilities. He was married in 1853 to Joanna Crotty,
also a native of Tipperary, Ireland. They have had
eight children, of whom a daughter and six sons sur-
vive. The daughter is Miss Mary Foran; the sons are
Richard Foran, a freight conductor on the Lake Shore
and Michigan Southern R. R.; William and Edward
Foran, grocers at 810 West Twelfth street, Erie; Thomas
Foran, telegraph operator for the Pennsylvania Com-
pany at Erie; John Foran, car repairer of the Penn-
sylvania Company at Erie, and Michael Foran, an em-
ploye of Trask, Prescott & Richardson, Erie. John
Foran married Margaret Maloney, of Erie county.
The family reside at 818 West Twelfth street, and are
members of the Roman Catholic Church.

Charles Morgati Samuel Martz, groceryman,
Erie, Pa., was born at ("liranl, Crawford county, Kan.,
January 17, 1875. He is a son of James G. and Anna
Morgan Martz, natives (jf Erie county. Pa., the former
of German and the latter of Scotch-Irish descent.
James G. Martz is a son of the late Samuel Martz, who
located at Lowville, Erie county. Pa., about 1832, and fol-
lowed farming throughout his life. His son, James, was
the proprietor of a general store in Greenfield township
until 1869, when he removed to Girard, Kan., where he
was engaged in the grocery business until 1878, when
he returned to Erie county and repurchased his old
store in Greenfield. In November, 1890, he sold out
and retired from business. He removed to Erie in
1892, where he now resides at the corner of Twentieth
and Brandes streets. Mr. and Mrs. James G. Martz
are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Their children are: Warren and Charles M. S. Martz.
The former is engaged in business at Ashtabula, O.,
and the latter is proprietor of the grocery at Eigh-
teenth street and East avenue. He completed his edu-
cation at the Ohio Normal University, Ada, O., in 1892.

George Burgess Morgan, contractor, Erie, Pa.,
was born in Greenfield township, Erie county. Pa.,



February 22, 1852. He is a son of Charles and Ann
(Boyd) Morgan, the former a native of the county
Kent, England, and the latter of county Down, Ire-
land. Charles Morgan was born January 13, 1816, and
his wife August 8, 1812. Both came to the United
States in childhood with their respective families, the
Morgans locating in Chautauqua county. New York,
whence they removed in 1828 to Greenfield township,
Erie county, and the Boyds taking up their permanent
residence immediately upon their arrival in this coun-
try, in 1822, in Venango township, Erie county.
Charles Morgan was married in Venango township,
and followed farming there for a short time, then re-
moving to a farm which he had purchased in Green-
field township, where he has ever since resided, and
where he has been engaged in farming principally,
and from time to time in mercantile pursuits. He has
held numerous township trusts;. His wife died No-
vemer 16, 1891. George B. Morgan was educated in
the schools of Greenfield township. In 1875 he went
to Girard, Crawford county, Kas., where he was en-
gaged for two years in purchasing grain and as agent
for the sale of nursery stock. Returning to Pennsyl-
vania in 1877, he established a general store in Green-
field township, where he was engaged in business for
eight years. In 1886 he purchased a farm at Shat-
tuck's Corners, Greenfield township, where he started
another general store, which he ran in connection with
the postmastership until 1890. In 1893 he established
a store at Ashtabula, Ohio, which he sold a year later
and returned to Erie county. On April 1, 1894, he
opened the grocery at the corner of Eighteenth street
and East avenue with Charles Martz, to whom he sold
his interest in August of the same year. Since Janu-
ary 1, 1895, Mr. Morgan has been associated with
Elmer Wright in the Fairview Heat and Light Com-
pany, which has the exclusive right to pipe and fur-
nish gas to that borough; he also does a contracting
business in drilling gas, oil, artesian and ordinary
wells. Mr. Morgan is a Democrat, and has been a
delegate to numerous county conventions. He is a
member of the I. O. O. F. and Protected Home Circle.
He was married December 21, 1885, to Edith, daugh-
ter of the late Samuel Crawford, a native of Scotland,
but for many years prior to his death a farmer of
Greenfield township, Erie county. Mr. and Mrs.
Morgan have two children, Charles and Kittie May,
and reside at Eighteenth street and East avenue.
They reside on the corner of Twentieth and Brandes
streets.

Charles Vollatid, grocer, Erie, Pa., was born in
Saxe- Weimar, Germany, March 1, 1842. He is a son
of the late Leopold and Frederika (Hage) Volland,
natives of Germany, where they were married, and
where he was engaged in cabinet making until 1854,
when they came to the United States, locating in Erie
county. Leopold Volland followed his trade in Erie
for some years, and then purchased a farm in Mill
Creek township, where he spent the remainder of his
life. He died in 1869, his wife in 1876. Charles Vol-
land had a common school education, learned the
printer's trade and worked in Erie newspaper offices
until 1860. He then went to Titusville, where he
learned the cooperage trade and was engaged in that
until 1878. Returning to Erie, he was variously em-
ployed until 1880, when he established himself in the
grocery business at the corner of Eighth and Ash



678



i^MLSON'S BIOGBAPHICAL DICTIOHART



streets, his present location. He was a member of the
Common Council of Erie in 1884. Mr. Volland was
married, November 14, 1869, to Margaret, daughter of
Leonard Hodam, an old resident of Erie. Their chil-
dren are: Louisa, wife of August Albrecht, shipping
clerk with C. A. Curtze, Erie; Charles F., clerk in his
father's store; Henry Emil, plumber, and Minnie,
August, Adolph, Elizabeth, Mary and Frederick. The
family reside at Eighth and Ash streets, and are mem-
bers of the German Lutheran Church.

John Bryce, V. S., Erie, Pa., was born in Mt.
Pleasant, Brant county, Ontario, Canada, in 1845, and
is one of a family of hve brothers and two sisters, the
children of George and Margaret C. Bryce, who came
from Doune, Scotland, in 1843. The continuous resi-
dence for over fifty years in one of the oldest settle-
ments of Ontario has made Mr. George Bryce and his
family well known amongst the early Canadians, not
only for the sterling worth of the old pioneer, who is
now approaching his eightieth birthday, but also be-
cause of the prominent positions his sons have made
for themselves in the different places they have made
their homes. The eldest son, the Rev. Prof. George
Bryce, S. L. B., was amongst the earliest settlers from

to go to the newly created Province of

Manitoba. Leaving his University and Theological
Seminary in 1871, the professor was commissioned by
the Presbyterian Church of Canada to establish a col-
lege near Fort Garry, on the Red River of the North,
as a center of learning for the Presbyterian youth of
the colony. He has seen his work grow into the Mani-
toba College, the most prominent of the several col-
leges of the University of Manitoba. He has been
successfully employed by the government of the prov-
ince in organizing the public school system of Mani-
toba, and in acting as a member of the several boards
of provincial school commissioners, which have given
to the Province of Manitoba its splendid system of
national schools. John Bryce, V. S., the subject of this
sketch, the second son of the family, after obtaining
his education in the old-time academy of his native
village, passed into his father's shops, where during
the next few years he laid the foundations of that ac-
curate knowledge of horses which was subsequently
developed during a full course at the famous Ontario
Veterinary College in Toronto, founded by the Edin-
burgh professor. Dr. Andrew Smith. Practicing his
profession for a year or two in the city of Brantford,
near his native home, he decided next to remove to
Erie city. Pa., in 1872. Since then Erie has had the
benefit of the early training and ripened experience of
Dr. Bryce. Unlike too many amongst those practicing
the veterinary art. Dr. Bryce has looked upon it as a
real profession, and has ever endeavored to maintain
its position as such rather than degrade it to the posi-
tion of a mere business of money making. In connec-
tion with the practice of veterinary medicine and surg-
ery. Dr. Bryce established a livery business on French
street, between Fourth and Fifth. In 1887 he pur-
chased the site of his present establishment, at Fifth
and French streets, and built and has since occupied
this structure. In 1892 he purchased the stock and
business of Elliott Bros, at 130 West Twelfth street,
and established it as the People's Hack and Livery
Company. He made still another addition to his busi-
ness in 1894 by the purchase of the livery stock at
the old Knoll stables, at 20 West Eighteenth street.



He was for a number of years one of the executive
committee of the Erie County Agricultural Society.
Finding that there was need for developing a taste for
high-class animals. Dr. Bryce has, during the past ten
years, made a specialty of placing carriage horses on
the market, and not a few of the finest turnouts of Erie
city can be traced to Dr. Bryce's wise selection and
good judgment. He was married in June, 1877, to
Belle Forbes, elder daughter of the late Robert and
Agnes (Gourley) Liddell, and granddaughter of James
Liddell, two families who came to Erie county about
1830, and who have been the pioneers in the iron busi-
ness in Erie, and the originators of what has since
developed into the Erie City Iron Works. Mrs. Bryce
has always taken much interest in art work and has
aided home art by often exhibiting fine embroideries,
china and oil paintings, and has just finished two por-
traits in oil of members of her own family. Dr. and
Mrs. Bryce have three children: George Liddell, Ro-
land Forbes and Marion, reside at Fifth and French
streets, and are members of the First Presbyterian
Church, on the board of trustees of which Mr. Bryce
has twice served. The only living sister of Dr. Bryce
is Mrs. Dr. Marquis, of Brantford, Ontario, whose hus-
band-has attained to local celebrity in his profession,
and has delegated the family honor to the keeping of
his sons, two of whom, Drs. Arnold and John Marquis,
represent the allied professionsвАФ medicine and den-
tistry. Robert H. Bryce, of Winnipeg, the third son,
has for years been prominently engaged in mercantile
pursuits in Canada, and for twelve years has been one
of the most prominent merchants of the prairie prov-
ince. Peter H. Bryce, M. A. M. D., of Toronto, is the
next son. He has occupied, after graduating from
Toronto University and other colleges, several posi-
tions of honor in Canada, and has during the past thir-
teen years held the honorable and important position
of chief executive health officer of Ontario, under the
government of that province. Alexander Bryce, of
Toronto, the youngest son of this family, has similarly
made a name for himself in a special line of business,
having been amongst the first to enter into the supply
of dairy products to Toronto in a thoroughly scientific
manner. He is now the controller of the largest dairy
in the province of Ontario, and has for years carried
on the successful industry under the apt and euphoni-
ous name of the Hygenic Dairy. The history of this
family adds but another to the many familiar instances
of how the sturdy Scotch character has impressed
itself upon every country where Scotland's sons have
made their homes, and shows how integrity, intelli-
gence and perseverance " Shall be a' the gree' for a'
that."

Gabriel Huff, retired millright, Erie, Pa., was
born in Ontario county. New York, February 27, 1831.
He is a son of the late Moses and Maria (Hoppough)
Huff, natives of New Jersey, and of Dutch descent.
Moses Huff was a farmer, living latterly in Orleans
county. New York, where he died in 1889; his wife
died in 1891. Gabriel Huff received a common-school
education, and then learned the trade of millwright
under his uncle, M. De L. Hoppough, with whom he
worked in Ontario, Livingstone and Monroe counties.
New York, until 1851. During this period (in 1848)
he came to Erie to build the City Mills, then operated
by the late Clark McSparren and John R. Dumars.
In 1851 Mr. Huff removed to Erie, where he continued



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OP ERIE COUNTY.



679



to be engaged in millwrighting until 1893, except for
a period of four years (1860 to 1864), when he built a
mill and was engaged in milling at Kingsville, Ohio.
He was the leading millwright in Erie for many years,
building and rebuilding many of the leading milling
plants of that city, among them the Canal, Fairmount,
Merchants, City and Hopedale mills. In 1893 he lost
his right hand and retired from active business. He
was married, June 30, 1851, to Fannie, daughter of the
late John and Eliza (Ensign) Compton, natives of
New York, and of English descent, who removed
from Livingstone county. New York, to Erie county,
Pennsylvania, in 1836, where John Compton was a
farmer and distiller, and conducted a general store
until 1848, when he removed to the city of Erie. At
the later place he formed a partnership association
with Henry B. Haverstick (still a resident of Erie), in
connection with whom he built and operated a dis-
tillery, and established a general store at French street
and North Park. He died May 16, 1873, surviving his
wife ten years. Mr. and Mrs. Gabriel Huff have two
children, Mrs. Flora Hathaway and Mrs. Anna, wife
of Charles E. Thomas, a molder, of Erie. The
former has two children, Harry Reed and Fay
Compton Hathaway. Mr. and Mrs. Huff and daugh-
ter, Mrs. Hathaway, reside at 2116 Peach street, and
attend St. John's Episcopal Church. Mr. Huff is a
member of the A. O. U. \V.

Charles Henry Yeager, Erie, Pa., was born in
Girard, Pa., July \h, 18.W. He is a son of Louis and
Josephine (Seideneck) Yeager, the former a native of
Hesse-Cassel, and the latter a native of Hanover.
They came to the Ignited States immediately after their
marriage in 1857, locating in Girard, where Louis
Yeager still resides, and is engaged in business as a
dealer in boots and shoes. His wife died in 1883.
Charles H. Yeager completed his education at the
Girard Academy, and was for four years thereafter
clerk in the dry goods department of David Olin's
general store, Girard. In 1877, he became associated
with the dry goods establishment of I. A. Forman,
Erie, Pa., with whom he remained two years, then en-
tering the dry goods store of Warner Bros., by whom
he was employed until 1890. Since then he has been
engaged in the real estate business, as a purchaser and
improver of vacant lots, and has during his short, but
active and energetic career, erected sixty dwelling
houses within the corporate limits of Erie. With
such an outcome to his enterprise, when not nearly
arrived at the zenith of his powers, it is safe to pre-
dict that Mr. Yeager is destined to become a most im-
portant factor in the growth nnd development of the
Gem City of the Lakes. In addition to the above
business, Mr. Yeager is also engaged as a dealer in
underwear and hosiery. He is a member of the
Royal Arcanum, National L'nion, and Equitable Aid
Union. He was married September 28, 1882. Mr.
and Mrs. Yeager reside at the corner of French and
Ninth streets, and attend the Central Presbyterian
Church.

Bartholomew Goldeti, only son of John Golden,
was born in Leitrim, Ireland, in 1807. He came to
the United States in 1834, and was engaged as a rail-
road contractor up to the time of his death. In the
course of business he had a contract on the New York
and Erie R. R., and in 1853 located in Erie, where the



members of his family continued to reside. Upon the
completion of this road Mr. Golden took a contract for
the construction of a road in Iowa, under the firm name
of Golden & Richardson, and removed to Burlington
where he died in 1866. He was married February 9,
1834, to Eleanor, daughter of Edward Benson, a native
of Sligo, Sligo county, Ireland. She died in August,
1882. Mr. and Mr. Golden were Roman Catholics,
active in church work generally, and were particularly
interested in the Father Mathew temperance move-
ment. Mr. Golden gave liberally of his means, and de-
voted his time zealously to the movement in the United
Stctes to ameliorate the sufferings of the people of Ire-
land during the famine of '46. Of the children born
to Mr. and Mrs. Golden but two survive: T. G. Golden,
general superintendent of the International and Great
Northern R. R., with headquarters in Palestine, Tex.,
and Mary V. Golden, who has been principal of three
of the public schools of Erie, Nos. 5 and 13, and the
ungraded school, and is still teaching in the Erie
schools. T. G. Golden married Elizabeth N. Black, of
Richmond, Ind. They have four children: Alice,
Frank, Walter and Robert, and reside in Richmond.
Of the deceased children of Mr. and Mrs. Golden, two
others, Anna and Caelia, were also engaged as teach-
ers in the public schools of Erie. Miss Anna was a
lady of decided literary ability, and, while yet a school
girl, was a contributor to numerous magazines and
newspapers, among the latter the Erie Observer and
the Buffalo Sentinel. She died February 6, 1876.
A local paper, speaking of her death, said: "Miss
Golden was not less noted for exceptionally high cul-
ture and accomplishments than for a sagacity and
judgment of peculiar penetration and force. While
yet a young; girl some of her productions obtained
wide publicity and commendation. Her excessive de-
votion to study and to the interests of her school,
which was very dear to her, undermined her health
and brought her to an untimely grave." Miss Caelia
became the wife of J. J. Hendricks, formerly of
Erie, now of Oil City, Pa. She died in June, 1876,
leaving three children: William, Frank and Alice.
Katherine, for some years teacher of music and or-
ganist of St. Patrick's pro-Cathedral after her mar-
riage, in 1866, to C. S. Bonner, resided in Indianapolis.
She died in Pittsburg, Pa., April, 1878. After the



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 127 of 192)