Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 133 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 133 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


chairman of ,the executive committee. By virtue of
this position he had sole charge of the Poultry exhibit
which was held in Erie from January 29 to February
2, 1895, and it was largely due to his untiring efforts
that this, the first affair of its kind ever attempted in
Erie, was made a decided success. He deals quite
extensively in high-bred poultry and is a frequent con-
tributor to poultry'journals. Mr. Ebisch was married
January, 1884, to Miss Lena Ruth Gusman, of Titus-
viUe, Pa.; they have one child, George Raymond.
Mr. and Mrs. Ebisch are members of the German
Lutheran Church, and he is a member of the Masonic
fraternity.

Jacob Malthaiier, contractor and builder, Erie,
Pa., was born in Bavaria, Germany, October 30, 1852,
and is a son of John P. and Eva Barbara (Hoffman)
Malthaner. His father, who was a farmer, had seven
children, of whom Jacob is the; fifth. He was edu-
cated in his native country, and came to the United
States in 1872, locating in Erie. He first found em-
ployment in a brickyard, where he remained a short
time. Tnen he worked for a few months in the yard
and framing gang of the Erie Car \l'orks, after which
he engaged with Mr. Joseph Sellinger to learn the
trade of carpenter and remained in Mr. Bellinger's
employ for three years. He worked as a journeyman
till 1884, when, in partnership with Adam Anthony, he
engaged in business for himself. One of their first
contracts was ihe building of St. Joseph's Church,
which occupied two years. "Mr. Malthaner is also the
builder of the Church of the Sacred Heart, now i 1
course of construction. He built his own elegant
home, 2630 Myrtle street, in 1891. Mr. Malthaner
was married July 18, 1874, to Miss Katherine Madleh-
ner, who was born in his native town. They have two
children, John P., who works with his father, and
Marion. He and his family are members of St.
Joseph's Church, and he is a member of several of the
religious societies connected therewith. In politics
Mr. Malthaner has always been in sympathy with the
principles of the Democratic party.



698



NELSON-'S BIOQRAPEICAL DICTIONARY



Hugh N. Fleming, inventor of the Fleming mail
catcher and deliverer, Erie, Pa., was born January 2,
1868, and is a son of Hugh B. and Maria L. (Neely)
Fleming. Hugh B. Fleming (deceased), one of Erie's
best known men, was born in Crawford county, Penn-
sylvania, November 17, 1827, a son 01 James and
Rebecca (Lowry) Fleming. James Fleming was a
soldier in the war of 1812, was twice wounded, once at
Fort Erie and again at Lundy's Lane. He was made
brigadier general at the close of the war, and died at
Cranesville, Pa. There were ten children born to
James and Rebecca Fleming: W. Scott, Andrew,
Henry, John, Hugh B., Robert, James, Mary, Phoebe
and Elizabeth. Hugh B. Fleming was educated in
the common schoolsof Crawford county, and in 1848
entered West Point, graduating from the military
academy in 1852. Mr.^Fleniing was married March
14, 1867, to Miss Maria L., daughter of Joseph and
Matilda (Moorhead) Neely, of Erie, and to them was
born one son, Hugh Neely. He was reared and edu-
cated in Erie, and attended Phillips' Academy at
Andover, Mass., later graduated from Yale College in
the class of 1889. He was employed in the office of
the Youghiogheny Coal Company as bookkeeper and
clerk for about two years, and for the past three years
has devoted his attention to inventing. His most suc-
cessful invention, "The Fleming Mail Catcher and
Deliverer," is a clevice to deliver and take on mail
from a moving train. It is a new invention, but prom-
ises to be in universal use before many years. Mr.
Fleming is a member of the Loyal Legion and the
Sons of Revolution.

Deltner J. Young, dealer in paper stock, Hol-
land, between Tenth and Eleventh streets, Erie, Pa.,
was born in Erie, April 20, 1868, and is a son of Henry
D. and Vinnie M. (Cochran) Young. Henry D. Young,
retired, was born in Manchester, Vt., in 1837. He is a
son of Samuel B. and Elizabeth (Way) Young. Sam-
uel B. Young (deceased) was born in Danby, Vt., in
1812, and was a son of David and Mary (Eggleston)
Young. David Young, who was a native of Scotland,
was the youngest of three brothers, two of whom,
James and John, fought under Wellington at Waterloo.
David came to America in 1806, locating in Vermont,
and followed the manufacture of woolen goods. He
was also in the mercantile business, and owned and
operated large farming interests. He was in com-
mand of a regiment at Plattsburg, N. Y., in the war of
1812, and represented Danville, Vt., in the State Sen-
ate for twenty-one years. David Young married Mary,
daughter of Benedict Eggleston, a Revolutionary
hero, who served seven years in that war, and win-
tered with Washington at Valley Forge. To them
were born five children: Samuel B., David, Alexander,
Fannie and Alice. Samuel B. Young, the eldest of
this family, received a college education, and early in
life learned the tinsmith trade, which he followed dur-
ing his life. His death occurred in 1892. He married
Elizabeth, daughter of Lyman Way, of Connecticut,
and to them were born two children: Henry D. and
Charles K., who is now postmaster at Manchester, Vt.
Henry D. Young received an academic education and
learned his father's trade (tinsmith), which he followed
in his native jilace until August 10, 1863, when he en-
listed in Co. C, 14th Reg., Vt. Vols., was made captain
of his company, and participated in all the battles
of this regiment till September 30, 1864, when he was



discharged, and, returning home, went into business
with his father for three years. In 1867 he came to
Erie and became interested in the manufacture of
paper and the paper stock business with John R. Coch-
ran, doing a large business for eleven years, when Mr.
Cochran died. The business was continued by Mr.
Young for several years. He finally retired, turning
the business over to his two sons. Mr. Henry Young
was married to Miss Vinnie, daughter of John R.Coch-
ran, of Erie, and to them have been born two sons:
Henry (deceased) and Delmer J. Delmer J. Young
was reared and educated in Erie, and when 18 years
of age began work under his father in the paper stock
business, continuing for two and one-half years, when
he and his brother took sole charge of the industry,
conducting it until the death of Henry C, the senior
member of the firm, and the business is now managed
by Delmer J. Young. It is the only place of its kind
in the city, does a large business, paying out $900 per
week for paper stock, old iron, brass, copper, rubber,
etc., and employs twenty hands. Mr. Young is a mem-
ber of the Fraternal Mystic Circle. His residence is
235 West Eighteenth street.

Peter J. Emling, of the firm of Kuhn & Emling,
cigar manufacturers, 264 East Eleventh street, Erie,
Pa., was born in Erie September 9, 1860, and is a son
of George and Barbara (Sutter) Emling, natives of
Erie and Alsace, Germany, respectively. George
Emhng was born in Erie in June, 1837, a son of Peter,
who was born in Bavaria, Germany, and came to
America in 1834, and located in Erie in 1835. George
received a common school education and learned the
cooper trade, following it for some years, when he
secured a position as car inspector on the L. S. S: M. S.
R. R., which position he held until his death, February
4, 1885, He leaves a widow and five children: Peter
J.; Mary, wife of J. F. Rogan, of Erie; George F., a
boilermaker by trade, resides in Erie; Joseph'M., car
inspector for the L. S. & M. S. R. R., and Emma, wife
of Harry Baker, of Shenandoah, Pa. Peter J. Emling
was educated in the public schools of Erie, and at the
age of 14 years secured a position as clerk in a grocery
store. This he followed one year; he then drove a
milk route for six months, when he engaged with
Manly & Co. to learn the cigar-making business, con-
tinuing with them for three years. He then worked
at the trade for Conrad three months, next engaging
with L. A. Dibble two years; after this he worked one
year as manager of the billiard room in the old
Ellsworth House. Then he went to Conneautville,
Pa., and worked at his trade for M. A. Kessler two
years. Returning to Erie he worked for Wingerter
Bros, one year, and April 16, 1887, formed his present
business connections. Mr. Emling was married May
9, 1889, to Gertrude Schaefer, of Erie, Pa., and to
them have been born three children: Royal P. J.,
born December 21, 1890; Clayton E., born August 22,
1892, and Tobias W., born April 21, 1894. Mrs.
Emling is a member of the German Lutheran Church;
Mr. Emling of the German Catholic faith. He is a
member of the Elks, Knights of the Golden Eagle,
East Erie Turners and the G. H. Q. of W. B. In
politics he is a Democrat, and is one of the promising
young business men of Erie.

Joseph F. Kuhn, senior member of the firm of
Kuhn &: Emling, cigar manufacturers, 264 East Elev-



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTT.



699



enth street, Erie, Pa. This business was established
April 15, 1887, by Joseph F. Kuhn and Peter Emling,
two well-known young men of Erie, both of whom
have spent many years in mastering the art of cigar-
making. They now employ nine expert cigarmakers
and four boys, and turn out some of the finest cigars
found in Northwestern Pennsylvania. Among the
leading brands of this well-known factory are the fa-
mous "El Presidente," "Our Special," "Kuhn & Em-
ling's Extra," and the " K. & E." They turn out from
45,000 to 50,000 cigars a month, and also operate a re-
tail department. Joseph F. Kuhn was born in Erie,
August 5, 1856, and is a son of Jacob and Theresa
(Duetlinger) Kuhn, both natives of Germany. Jacob
Kuhn came to America, May 17, 1840, and located in
Erie, where he has since engaged in coopering. To
Mr. and Mrs. Kuhn have been born eight children:
Joseph (deceased), John, a jiainter in Erie; Sophia, a
wife of Charles Veit, of Erie; Theresa, Joseph F.,
Philipina, of Erie, and Fannie and Mary (twins), the
former the wife of William Emling, of Erie. Joseph
F. received a common school education, and when 13
years of age entered the employ of H. Sternes to learn
cigar-making. He spent three years under Mr.
Sternes, and then worked four years for R. Hunt at
the trade. He then spent ten years traveling, and
visited and worked in twenty-seven states. He re-
turned to Erie, and worked for R. Phister one year,
then six months for Wingerter Bros., when he formed
a partnership with Peter J. Emling, and opened their
present place of business. Mr. Kuhn was married
March 1, 1892, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph
Conrath, of Erie. They have one child, Irene, born
September 21, 1894. Mr. and Mrs. Kuhn are members
of the German Catholic Church. He is a member of
the G. H. Q. of W. B., and of the Cigarmakers' Inter-
national Union 107 of Erie, holding card 2396. In
politics he is a Democrat.

Hewry Holtnwood, grocer and meat dealer, 928
East Sixth street, Erie, Pa., was born in Rosebay,
Lunenburg county. Nova Scotia, May 31, 1843, and is
a son of Henry and Sarah (Massey) Holmwood, natives
of Mayfield, Sussex county, England, and Glasgow,
Scotland, and of English and Scotch origin, respect-
ively. Mr. Holmwood was a sea captain in the mer-
chant trade. He died in 1859, aged 45 years. His
wife died in 1857, aged 35 years. To this couple were
born five children; Henry; John, a sea trader and
ship owner, resides in Lockport, Shellburn county, N.
S.; George, died aged 22 years; William, a sea captain,
and Robert, died aged 20 years. Henry Holmwood
received a thorough common-school education, and
until 25 years of age worked on the home farm. In
1868 he came to America and located in Erie, Pa.,
where he secured a position in the Anchor Line freight
house, where he remained five years. He then en-
listed on board the revenue cutter " Commodore
Perry," under Captain Ottinger, serving three years as
seaman and two years as quartermaster, when the boat
was mustered out of service and he received an
honorable discharge. General Garfield was once a
passenger from Erie to Buffalo on this boat during
Mr. Holmwood's term of service. He opened his
present grocery business in April, 1880, and five years
later built his present store building, and in 1893 built
on and added the meat business to his grocery trade.
Mr. Holmwood was married. October 30, 1869, to Miss



Jane, daughter of Richard and Bessie Tanner, natives
of County Cork, Ireland, where Mr. Tanner died, Mrs.
Tanner then coming to Erie to live. To them have
been born three children: Thomas, Sarah and Robert.
The family are members ol the Episcopal Church.
Mr. Holmwood is one of the progressive business
men of his ward, speaking both German and English
fluently. He is a member of the K. of P., and saw
some military service under the British flag in Nova
Scotia. One of Mr. Holmwood's experiences was to
have a narrow escape from shipwreck on the New
Foundland coast, at Cape St. Georges, in mid-winter
of 1867, while acting as pilot on the schooner
" William." This vessel left port in company with
two others, both of which were wrecked, the " William "
barely escaping a like fate. Twenty-eight men were
lost. Mr. Holmwood has had exciting experiences on
the Labrador coast, where he sailed for some years in
a semi-arctic climate.

Michael Lysaght, grocer, 702 East Eleventh
street, Erie, Pa„ was born in county Limerick, Ireland,
in 1839, and is a son of Thomas and Mary (Deere)
Lysaght, both natives of Ireland. To them were born
three sons: Thomas, Terrance and Michael. In 1852
Michael left Ireland and located in Canada, where,
one year prior, his father and two brothers had gone.
Here he remained for about ten years and then went
to Springfield, Mass., where he was employed for three
years by the LTnited States government. After this
he went back to Erie, Pa., and went to work in the
boiler shop for the Erie City Iron Works, remaining in
the employ of this institution for about twenty-five
years. In the year of 1890 he built the store on the
corner of Eleventh and Reed streets, rented it for
two years. After quitting the boiler-making business,
in 1892, he sold groceries on commission for one year,
and in the spring of 1893 opened his present place of
business in the building he had built two years before,
702 East Eleventh street. Here he has since followed
successfully his chosen business. He carries a full
line of staple groceries, and by prompt and honest
dealing has built up a large and lucrative trade. Mr.
Lysaght was married in May, 1856, to Mary, daughter
of John Shanahan, of Canada, a native of Ireland.
This union was blessed with four children: William
(deceased), James (deceased), Mary, wife of John H.
Rensford, jr., of Erie, a railroad conductor, and John,
who died in the 28th year of his age. Mrs. Lysaght de-
parted this life September 11, 1892, aged 60 years.
Mr. Lysaght is a member of the Roman Catholic
Church, and is a member of the C. M. B. A. He was
elected school director from the Second ward in 1889
and again in 1892. In politics he is a Democrat.

Martin Sitterle, city assessor, Erie, Pa., was born
in Erie, February 18, 1849. He is a son of John B.
and Helena (Fleishman) Sitterle, both natives of Ger-
many. John B. Sitterle was a farmer in his native
country, came to America about 1848, and located in
Erie, Pa., where for some years he worked as a mason-
tender, and later he established quite a business build-
ing gravel houses. He died in 1885, aged 74 years.
His wife departed this life, June 15, 1894, aged 78 years.
There were three children born to this union: Martin;
Joseph, a molder in Mansfield, O., and Catharine (Mrs.
Adam Hoffman, of Erie). Martin Sitterle received
his education in the parochial and public schools of



700



NELSON'S BIOGRAPmCAL DICTIONARY



Erie, and when 14 years of age, entered the employ of
Tibbals & Shirk, to learn the molding trade, and fol-
lowed this trade in Erie until 1891, with the exception
of six months, in lN(ir>, wlii-n he worked in Rochester
and Albany, N. V.; again in 1.S77 he left Erie for four-
teen months, working at his trade in Beaver Falls, Pa.
In 1891, Mr. Sitterle retired from the hard labor of his
chosen trade, and has given his attention to the city
assessorship. He was elected assessor from the Sec-
ond ward first in 1885, and held the office until 1892,
when he was elected city assessor, and is still holding
that office. Mr. Sitterle was married August 20, 1868,
to Miss Barbara, daughter of Valentine Walter, of
Germany, and to them have been born ten children:
Peter (died in infancy), Jacob, John B., clerk in
a tea store on Parade street; Kerte, Joseph, a cigar-
maker by trade; Charles A., George P., Mary M. and
Ida. The family are members of the German Catholic
Church, and Mr. Sitterle is a member of the C. M. B. A.
He is a man of firm integrity, respected in the com-
munity, and has accumulated a fine property. In
politics he is a Democrat.

James Frauliliii, manufacturer of ice cream, fac-

t(irv and i csiilinrc 714 Sassafras street, Erie, Pa., was
l„,i-ri 111 I'dHli Ibiii louiiu, Kentucky, in 1S38, and is a
si,i: ,.f J.iiiirs aii.l llarrirt i r,.-ll) Franklin. Mr. Frank-
lin, sr., w.is mil- iif the iiidst in'ominent colored men of
rcniieltDH county. He purchased his liberty and
rented and operated a large farm for sometime in said
county. He later went to Canada, and returning to
Kentucky died there in 1870, aged 70 years. His wife,
Harriet Bell, was a slave, and after having borne him
seven children, was sold and torn from her husband
and family. James Franklin was the youngest of this
family, and the only boy, and was six months old when
his mother was sold away from him. He was reared
in slavery, and in 1853 he ran away from his master,
and located in Windsor, Canada, where he worked as
a laborer for some years, later moving over into New
York State, and in the spring of 1866, he came to Erie,
Pa., and secured the position of janitor for the P. & E.
R. R. Company's office, a position he held fifteen
years, and in 1881, began the manufactnre of ice
cream, in a modest way, and from this beginning he
has gradually improved and increased his business.
In 1890 he bought his present fine brick home, and
fitted \\\< the li.isc-inrnt as .i fartnvw where he turns out
ice cream tli.il 111 (|iialit\ I aiiiKit lie excelled in Erie.
During the warm m.aillis nl rammer he throws open
his large double parlors, and sells ereani to the best
people of Erie by the dish, but Ins business is to manu-
facture and sell in quantities. .Mr. I'r.iiiklin was mar-
ried December 5, 1865, to Miss laiiiiia S.. daughter of
Isaac and Mahala Simpson, both free, the former a na-
tive of Lancaster, Pa., and the latter of Cumberland,
Md. She was fourth in order of birth in a family of
six children, and received a good common school edu-
cation. To Mr. and Mrs. Franklin have been born
nine children: William B., cook in Des Moines, la.;
George W. (deceased), Minnie A., Charles S., Anna
E., Archibald D., Louis Toyier, Carl H., and Leata.
Mr. Franklin is a member of the A. M. E. Church,
and they are among the best and most respected of
colored families in Erie.

Dugan Bros., livery, sale and boarding stables,
414 French street, Erie, Pa. Edward J. Dugan, the



senior member of this firm, was born in Harbor Creek
township, Erie county, February 21, 1862, and is a son
of John and Eliza (Daugherty) Dugan. Mr. Dugan
received a common school education and followed
farming at home until 1890, when he took charge as
foreman of the large farm for Mrs. Judge Taicott,
where he remained one year. After this he came to
Erie and was employed in the electric light ]ilant for
two years, and in February, 1893, with his brother,
John P., bought out his present business. John P.
Dugan was born April 6, 1863, received a common
school education and worked on the home farm till
1889. From 1889 to the spring of 1893 he took fence
and ditch contracts. In February, 1893, in partner-
ship with his brother, he embarked in the livery busi-
ness. They are enterprising young men and conduct
a first-class stable, average about fifteen horses, and
pride themselves on owning nothing but good stock.
They enjoy a lucrative business.

Frank A. Jacobs, owner and proprietor of the
livery and team contracting stables in the rear of 153
West Fifteenth street, Erie, Pa., was born in Chau-
tauqua county, New York. He received his education
in the Chautauqua county public schools and in 1862
enlisted in the 12th Pa. Cav., and was in active service
until the close of the war. He then located and operated
a livery business on the Schaffer farm in Venango
county, Pennsylvania, for a short time, and following
this embarked in the oil refining business in the same
county till 1873. He then went into the hotel business
in Westfield, N. Y., for a year, and in 1874 came to
Erie and embarked in the livery business, and in 1889
built his present place of business and makes a
specialty of team contract work. He keeps fifteen
head of horses and makes a point of keeping them
busy. Mr. Jacobs is a member of the I. O. O. F.,
the A. O. U. W. and the G. A. R. His residence is
153 West Fifteenth street. In politics he is a Repub-
lican.

Charles P. Haskins, boarding, sale, livery and
hack stable, 1010 and 1012 Peach street, Erie, Pa., was
born in DeKalb, St. Lawrence county, N. Y., Septem-
ber 14, 1853. He is a son of Hiram M. and Angeline
(Smith) Haskins, both natives of St. Lawrence county,
New York. Hiram M. Haskins was a millwright by
trade and was considered the best in his section. He
died in 1871, aged 44 years. Mrs. Haskins died in
1869, aged 37 years. To them were born four children:
Hiram F., a large ranch owner in Idaho; Charles P.,
Ata (deceased)"and Ada, Mrs. Herman Stephen, of
Erie. Charles P. Haskins received a common school
education and worked at home until 17 years of age,
when he engaged to learn the blacksmith trade, which
he followed for three years in his native county; he
then traveled and worked in several of the large cities
for three years. He came to Erie county in May,
1874, and worked for W. A. Brace in Greene town-
ship for two and a half years, when he came to Erie
and opened a shop, in the fall of 1876, at Twenty-first
and Peach streets, which he operated for three years;
he next owned a shop in Marvintown for three years.
After this he became interested in a livery stable at
1113 Peach street, but two years later sold out and
moved to 112 East Eleventh street. Three years
later, on account of poor health, he sold out, and for
eighteen months succeeding bought and sold horses.




nil



>v rzfa.



AND EISTORIOAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUJUTy.



701



In the fall of 1892 he bought from Dr. George W. Bell
his present livery business, one of the largest and
most complete in Erie. The building is 70 by 165
feet and has accommodations for sixty horses, and he
keeps a stock of thirty horses, has several hacks for
funerals, weddings and calls, and turns out some of
the finest rigs to be had in the city. Mr. Haskins
operated the city police patrol wagon for a long time.
He buys and sells large numbers of horses and is an
enterprising business man. He married September
25, 1875, Miss Sarah F., daughter of Henry O. and
Eliza Root, of Summit township. Mr. and iVIrs. Has-
kins attend the Universalist Church. Mr. Haskins
has served three years in the commiin council and
two years in the select briinch. Hi- is a memlier of
the A. O. U. W., E. A. L'., l-;iks, and is a charter mem-
ber of the Merchants' Chib. In politics he is a
Democrat.



of the W. L. Scott Company, was born June 5, 1821, at
the Richards homestead, located on the south side of
Second street, between French and Holland, Erie, Pa.
Captain Richards is a son of the late John and Anne
(Hinton) Richards, natives of Cardiganshire, North
Wales. John Richards, the elder, went to sea, from
his home in Wales, at a very early age, and had cir-
cumnavigated the globe three times when he landed
in New York city, and apprenticed himself to the then
great ship-building firm of Brown & Bell. At the
breaking out of the war of 1812, Brown & Bell were
engaged by the government to construct war vessels,
afterward designated as Perry's Fleet, and John Rich-
ards happened to be one of a considerable number of
men forwarded from New York to Erie, where the ves-
sels were built, to engage in such construction. Sub-
sequently, and throughout his life, he made his home
at Erie, and at various times sailed the lakes, but



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 133 of 192)