Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 148 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 148 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


county, in 1797, where he married, in 1802, Miss Mar-
tha Lewis. He came to Erie in 1807, and engaged in
the manufacture of brick for more than twenty years,
followed by various other ventures. He was an honest,
energetic citizen, and had a host of admiring friends.
He was a member of the first military company



75°



NELSON'S BIOGBAPEICAL BIGTIONARY



organized in Erie (1806), and during the war of 1812
was frequently employed by Commodore Perry and
General Meade as courier. He was a son of Justus
and Experience (Stell) Dunn, the former born Febru-
ary 15, 1741, a son of Justus Dunn, who married a niece
of Sir Francis Drake, a daughter of Thomas Drake.
George C. Dunn received his education in the public
schools of Mill Creek township and the Girard Acad-
emy, and worked on the home farm for a few years.
Then he and his brother, John, rented a farm, which
they operated for two years. Mr. Dunn then came to
Erie, and entered the gallery of O. B. Palmer, to learn
photography, remaining two years. He then formed
a partnership with D. M. Chambers, and they con-
ducted a gallery on North Park for about five years.
Mr. Dunn then opened a gallery in the same place he
is now doing business, in 1865, and conducted it four
years, when he closed out on account of poor health.
A few months later hebuilt a large barn and engaged in
the livery business, on Fifth street, between State and
French. After two years he sold this stable and pur-
chased the livery business from his brother John, on
French street, between Fourth and Fifth, operating it
for two years; he then sold a half interest to John
Dunn, the partnership continuing for two years, when
he sold to his brother and went to Bradford to engage
in the oil business for about three years. He then re-
turned to Erie, and with Perry Chambers, bought out
the restaurant business on French street, between Fifth
and Sixth, owned by Michael Mehl, which they con-
ducted for two years; at the end of this period, he
bought out his partner. Three years later he sold and
bought his present business from Philip Mueller, on
December 27, 1888, where he has since conducted a
cafe profitably and prosperously. Mr. Dunn was mar-
ried, January 2, 1868, to Miss Laura J., daughter of
Stewart Chambers, of Harbor Creek township. Four
children were born to this union; Frank C, of Camp-
bell & Dunn, plumbers; Lillian E., Bessie L. and C.
Alice. The family attend the M. E. Church. Mr.
Dunn is a member of the Royal Arcanum and Elks,
and in politics is a Republican. The Dunn Cafe is
operated on both the American and European plans,
and caters to a large and lucrative trade among the
best people of Erie.

Edgar L. Cushman, proprietor of the " Corner"
restaurant, 801 State street, Erie, Pa., was born in
Eagleville, Ashtabula county, O., March 28, 1852, and
is a son of Leander and Mary (Birdsell) Cushman, na-
tives of New York State. Edgar is second in a fam-
ily of five children, two only of whom are living. He
received his early education in Eagleville, and when
yet a lad took a position as brakeman on the L. S. &
M. S. R. R. When 16 years old he was promoted to
the position of conductor, and for the last six years of
his service he was extra passenger conductor. After
eighteen years of railroad life he resigned and became
a professional base ball player, being an expert left-
handed pitcher. He pitched for Milwaukee the sea-
son of 1884; for the Metropolitans of New York in
1885-6-7; for DesMoines, la., in 1888; for Toledo, O.,
in 1889-90; for Rochester, N. Y., in 1891-92, and with
Erie, Pa., in 1893. Mr. Cushman was one of the few
pitchers who had absolute control of the ball, coupled
with great speed. His left-handed curves were the
pride and wonder of his fellow-players, and the worry
and downfall of his opponents. In 1894 Mr. Cushman



retired from the base ball field and embarked in his
present business, where he is day by day adding to the
reputation of the always popular " Corner." Mr. Cush-
man was married November 18, 1885, to Miss Emma,
daughter of Christian and Elizabeth Swalley, of Erie,
Pa., whose sketch is printed elsewhere in this volume.
He is a member of the Order of Railway Conductors,
the Knights Templar, Knights of Pythias and the Elks,
and in politics is a liberal Republican.

Colotiel Adam Kurtis, proprietor of the Office
restaurant, Erie, Pa., was born in this city October 2,
1840, and is a son of Joseph and Mary (Blenner) Kur-
tis, natives of Germany. In his father's family



there were seven children: Adam, Joseph, of Spring
field, O.; Harriett, Mrs. John Englert, of Erie; Mand
lena, Mrs. Fred Wagner, of Erie; Christina, Mrs.



David Smith, of Erie; John C, who has been train (
patcher in the P. & E. R. R. office at Erie for many
years, and Eva, Mrs. Edward Averil, of Erie. Mr.
Adam Kurtis was educated in the public schools of
Erie, and at the age of 14 years entered the employ of
Vincent, Himrod & Co., to learn the trade of molder,
where he remained three years. He then secured a
position as clerk in the store of Shannon Bros., where
he remained after the business had changed hands, in
all about three years. When the war of the Rebellion
threatened to destroy the republic Colonel Kurtis was
among the first to go to the rescue. He enlisted in 1861
in Co. B, of what was known as Colonel McLane's Erie
Regiment, and served the three months' service. He
then returned to Erie and was variously employed in
clerking and working at his trade. In 1865 he re-en-
listed in Co. K, 98th P. V. I., and served until the close
of the war. After the close of the war he entered the
grocery store of Harvey Thayer, as clerk, and later
the store ot P. Minnig, remaining in each a short time.
He then went to Corfy, Pa., where he took charge of a
large concern, which included a large general store,
and restaurant and boarding-house, for Mr. Charles
Flick, where he remained two years. He then went to
Cambridge, Pa., and established a brick manufactory
upon the present site of the Cambridge Springs. He
conducted this business for a year, furnishing the brick
for the Atlantic depot at Meadville, Pa. He then came
to Erie and engaged in the grocery business on Peach
street, between Twelfth and Thirteenth streets, where
he remained two years, and then removed to the cor-
ner of Eleventh and Parade streets. He later built
and occupied a store on Parade, between Eleventh
and Twelfth streets, where he remained until 1874,
when he became proprietor of the Keystone restaurant.
Six years later he established the Office, which he has
made one of Erie's most popular resorts. In 1871
Colonel Kurtis enlisted in Co. B, 17th Reg. of Penn-
sylvania militia, and from that time on he took a very
active part in the upbuilding of the militia of the State.
He served nearly two terms as captain of Co. B, and
during that time served at the Centennial in 1876 and
the Pittsburg riot in 1877. His promotion was rapid
until he became colonel in 1879. During his colonelcy
his regiment took part in the inauguration of President
Garfield in Washington, D. C. While in command of
the regiment Colonel Kurtis established the reputation
of being one of the best disciplinarians in the State,
which was fully exemplified by his regiment, it having
been chosen and called out by the governor to give an
exhibition drill. When the law reducing the number



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUJ^Tr.



751



of regiments of militia in the State from nine to five
went into effect in 1880 Colonel Kiirtis was mustered
out with the rest of his command.

Colonel Kurtis was married in 1864 to Miss Eliza-
beth, daughter of Michal Wiley, of McKean, Pa.
This union has been blessed with seven children:
George, who is associated with his father in business;
Ida, Mrs. Edward Dougherty, of Erie; William, also
in business with his father; Henrietta, Mrs. William J.
Baker, of Cleveland; Charles, Luella and Fred. The
Colonel is a member of the G. A. R., F. & A. M., I. O.
O. F., K. of P. and the Elks. And in all of these, as
in everything else with which he has ever been identi-
fied, he is an active worker. Politically, the Colonel is
not pledged to any party; he believes that the pros-
perity of the country should never be sacrificed for
the success of any candidate or party.

John F. Elber, restaurant proprietor, Erie, Pa.,
was born in Newark, N. J., May 9, 1856, and is a son of
Frederick and Bertha (Swartz) Elber, natives of Ger-
many. His parents came to America in 1850 and
settled in Newark, N. J. They removed to Erie, Pa.,
in 1858, where the father died in 1874 and the mother
in 1885. John was the eldest in a family of six chil-
dren. He was reared and educated in Erie, and after
leaving school learned the printer's trade, which he
followed three years. He then learned the machinist's
trade and worked at it ten years. In 1884 he pur-
chased the property, 502 East Eleventh street, and
conducted a first-class restaurant until April 2, 1895,
when he disposed of it and purchased the restaurant
at the southwest corner of Ninth and State streets.
This he thoroughly remodeled and refitted, and is
now conducting. He was married May 15, 1877, to
Miss Louisa M., daughter of George and Margaret
(Peifer) Kaille, natives of Germany. They have
seven children: Elenora L., Henrietta J., Francis E.,
Frederick M., Angela (deceased), Gertrude B. (de-
ceased) and Othmar F. The family are members of
the Catholic Church. Mr. Elber is a member of the
C. M. B. A., St. Benedict's Society and the Catholic
Casino.

James Carney, familiarly known as "Colonel,"
proprietor of the Alliance Restaurant, Erie, Pa., was
born in Dumannay, Cork county, Ireland, May 20,
1844, and is a son ot John and Mary (Dullea) Carney.
The family consisted of six children: Mary, who
came to Boston, Mass., in 1850, where she died in 1872,
leaving three sons and one daughter; John, who came
to America in 1854, and is now engaged in the grocery
business in Erie; James and Ellen, Mrs. Cornelius
Casey, of Erie (deceased), who came to Boston in
1856. The parents and James, William and Margaret
came to the United States in 1867 and located in Erie.
Margaret, who married Thomas Sullivan, died in
February, 1892, leaving five children. Mr. James
Carney received his education in his native land and
in the night school of Prof. Ferrier, of Erie, which he
attended two seasons. Soon after coming to Erie he
secured a job as foreman of a yard gang in the P. & E.
car shop, where he remained seven years, and for
seven years longer a helper in the blacksmith's depart-
ment of the same institution. In 1881 he opened a
restaurant at his present location, and after being
remodeled several times it is now one of the finest
places in the city. Mr. Carney is unmarried and



makes his home with his sister's (Mrs. Sullivan's)
children, for whom he provides a comfortable home,
and all of whom he is giving a first-class education at
his own expense. Although Mr. Carney's original
capital was obtained by fourteen years of hard manual
labor, he is one of Erie's most generous men. He is
always one of the first to give support to public,
charitable or religious enterprises, and a suppliant,
whether for favors or alms, seldom leaves him empty-
handed. From 1867 to 1886 he resided at 936 East
Tenth street, and since that time at No. 939. He is a
director of the Erie Fair Association, organized in
1895. In politics Mr. Carney is a staunch Democrat,
and has rendered much valuable service to the party
of his choice. In 1885 he was elected a member of the
city council, serving four terms in thr ('..iiinicn hi. inch
and four terms in the Select, and was | .rr>i(li nt nf the
latter in 1892. During his term of dii. ,■ In .i,-ivi, ,1 in
the bringing about of many publir iiiiiiruM inrnts
which were highly appreciated by his constituents and
the city in general. In 1887 he was chosen Chairman
of the Democratic County Committee, and faithfully
discharged the duties of that position. Mr. Carney is
a devoted member of St. Peter's Cathedral, of which
he is a generous supporter, and of the C. M. B. A. and
Catholic Legion. He is also an honorary member of
the East Erie Turners and of the G. H. of W. B. O.

Matthias Detzel, restaurant proprietor, 1306
Parade street, Erie, Pa., was born in Bavaria, Ger-
many, July 25, 1834, and is a son of Adam and
Flavies (Dudenhoefer) Detzel, natives of Germany.
Matthias is the fourth in a family of seven children.
He was reared and educated in Germany, and at the
age of 22 emigrated to America and located in Erie,
where he has since resided. In 1865 he engaged in
the grocery business, which he continued until 1882,
when he became interested in the restaurant business
at 1306 Parade street, where he has since carried on a
prosperous business. He was married April 12, 1857,
to Apoline, daughter of Matthias Detzel, of Bavaria. To
this union were born twelve children: Mary, Frank J.,
Margaret (deceased), Lizzie (deceased), Eugene (de-
ceased), William, Joseph, John, Carrie, Adam, Ida and
Peter. The family are members of the Catholic
Church. Mr. Detzel is a member of the C. M. B. A.
He was chosen supervisor of streets in 1867; served
one term as alderman, and was the first street super-
intendent in the city of Erie. Politically Mr. Detzel
is a Democrat.

Jacob Sandusky, proprietor of one of the most
popular anil well-known restaurants in Erie, located
at 1.521 Holland street, was born in Erie, Pa., Febru-
ary 11, 1841. He is a son of John Sandusky, a native
of Poland, who settled in Erie, in 1838. John Sandusky
was compelled to leave his native country to avoid ar-
rest, on account of having taken part in a rebellion
against the government. He went to Germany, and
served awhde in the German army, and from there
emigrated to America. In the family there were four
children, of whom Jacob is the second. He was
reared in the city of Erie, and educated in the public
schools, and in 1851 began life for himself as a hotel
clerk. This occupation he followed about six years,
then he clerked in a grocery store for severa[ years,
and in 1861 entered the employ of Charles Koehler,
remaining until 1864, when he engaged in the restau-



)s^



NELSON'S BIOOBAPHIGAL DlCTlONABT



rant business for himself, but retired at the end of two
years to accept an appointment on the police force,
where he served for seventeen years. During his
period of service, Mr. Sandusky was one of the most
tearless and efficient officers in the city. In 1883 he
engaged in his present business, and now commands
a first-class trade. Ho was married March 30, 1862, to
Miss Sarah, daughter of Philip Dippo, of Erie. They
have four children: Louis C. (deceased), John C, Will-
iam H. and Maggie. He is a member of the I. O. O.
F., the A. O. U. VV., and the B. P. O. E. The family
are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Sandusky
is a Republican.

Frank F. Steitier, restaurant proprietor, corner
of State and Eighteenth streets, Erie, Pa., is a native
of Germany, and was born December 30, 1838. He is
a son of Daniel and Margaret (Otto) Steiner, also na-
tives of Germany. Frank is the eldest in a family of
four children. He was reared and educated in his na-
tive land. In 1861 he came to America, and resided
in New York one year, when he came to Erie county,
where he has since been engaged in the restaurant
business. He was married in 1865 to Miss Georgia,
daughter of George and Margaret (Baer) Brown, of
Erie. They have five children: Fred, Emil Ernest,
Etta, Frank and Minnie. The family are members of
the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Steiner is a member of
the A. O. U. W., and politically is a staunch Repub-
lican.

Atttoii Lichtinger, restaurant proprietor, Erie,
Pa., was born in Erie, Pa., September 26, 1851. He is
a son of the late Alois and Anna (Kerber) Lichtinger,
natives of Bavaria, who came to the United States in
1849, taking up their residence in Erie, where the
elder Lichtinger engaged in business as a mason. He
was one of the contractors on the Philadelphia and Erie
R. R. He died in November, 1890; his wife Decem-
ber 31, 1891. Anton Lichtinger was educated in Erie,
Pa., and then learned the trade of cooper. He worked
alternately at farming and cooperage until his 21st
year, when he entered the employ of the Philadelphia
and Erie R. R. In 1877 he went to Foxburg, Clarion
county. Pa., where he assisted in building a bridge
over the Clarion river. He then went to Oil City, Pa.,
where he worked for two years at cooperage. Follow-
ing this he was a dealer in sand at Bradford Pa., from
thence going to- Duke Center, Pa., where he was a
dealer in wood. Returning to Erie, he was from 1880
to 1885 again employed by the Philadelphia and Erie
R. R. In April, 1885, he leased a restaurant, which he
bought in 1888, subsequently purchasing the property,
601 East Twenty-fifth street. Mr. Lichtinger was
married December 31, 1884, to Agnes, daughter of the
late Charles Garvin, of Reilly's, Erie county. Pa. She
died the following year. He married a second time,
February 1, 1887, his wife being Mary N., daughter of
Lorenz Weschler, an employe of the Colby Piano
Company. Mr. and Mrs. Lichtinger are members of
St. John's Catholic Church.

Jacob Kalteabach, restaurant proprietor, 2605
Peach street. Pa., was born in Erie, Pa., March 23,
1849, and is a son of Ignatz and Catherine (Witzen)
Kaltenbach, natives of Germany. In the family there
were eight children, of whom Barbara and Elizabeth
were the eldest. The family emigrated to America in



1844 and settled in Erie, where Jacob was born and
educated, and at the age of 14 commenced an appren-
ticeship at harness-making, which trade he followed
about twenty-one years in Erie. In 1881 he engaged
in his present business. He was married June 27,
1876, to Miss Barbara, daughter of Jacob and Barbara
(Gehrlein) Schloss, natives of Germany. They have
six children, Rose, Anna, Frank, George, Charles and
Edward. Politically Mr. Kaltenbach is a Democrat,
and the family are members of the Catholic Church.
He was a member of the common council, represent-
ing the Second ward two years and the Fifth ward one
year, and has now been the representative of the Fifth
ward in the select council for seven years.

Peter Waldermarsoii, restaurant proprietor, 1724
Parade street, Erie, Pa., was born July 25, 1836, in
Sweden. He is a son of Waldemar and Betty (John-
son) Waldermarson. Peter is the second in a family
of eleven children. Mr. Waldermarson was a book-
keeper by occupation, which he followed in his native
land for seven years. In August, 1871, he emigrated
to America and settled in Chicago. There he was
foreman in a tile factory for eight years, when he
came to Erie and was interested in the tile business
until 1882, when he engaged in the restaurant business
at his present place, which property he purchased in
1884. Mr. Waldermarson is an unmarried man, and is
a member of the S. & St. J. and M. Politically he is
a Republican.

Martin H. Esser, restaurant proprietor, 414
West Eighth street, Erie, Pa., was born August 30,
1861, in Erie. He is a son of Martin H. and Catherine
(Nunn) Esser, natives of Koln-on-the-Rhine, Ger-
many. They emigrated to America, and settled in
Erie about 1850, and reared a family of six children:
Christian, John, Catherine (now Mrs. Louis Foreman,
of Erie), Mary (now Mrs. George Guemnder, of Erie),
Emil and Martin H., who was reared and educated in
Erie, and followed clerking in hotels and barkeeping
until 1894, when he purchased his present property,
where he has since conducted a first-class restaurant.
He was married, August 25, 1886, to Miss Ellen,
daughter of Daniel and Ruth (McBride) Beatty, of
Erie. To this union have been born two children:
Harold L. and Naomi Bell. Mr. Esser attends the
Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the Knights
of Pythias, and politically is a Republican.

Charles Spadaceue, restaurant proprietor, 1518
Walnut street, Erie, Pa., is a native of Italy, and was
born March 24, 1838. He is a son of Blosser and Eliz-
abeth (Angelotis) Spadacene, who were also natives of
Italy. Charles is the fourth in a family of twelve chil-
dren. He was reared and educated in his native land,
and at the age of 19 came to America, and after trav-
eling in various parts of this country about two years,
settled in Erie, where he followed the occupation of
image vendor for two years. Then he worked at the
public dock for three years, and later was employed
in a malt house and brewery until 1877, when he en-
gaged in the restaurant business, which he has since
successfully followed. He was married, July 15, 1867,
to Miss Mary, daughter of Philip and Magdalena
(Sonner) Hoffman, of Beachwood, Pa. To this union
were born ten children: John, Charles, Lizzie, Fred,
Sylvester, Kate, Mary, Paul, Frank and Andrew. Mr.



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



753



Spadacene enlisted in the navy on the U. S. man-of-
war, " U. S. Grant," in 1861, and participated in the
engagements at Decatur, Gainesville and Barge's
Bluff, and cruised on the Tennessee, Cumberland and
Mississippi rivers, and, while on the Tennessee river,
was captured by Mosby's Guerillas, but made his es-
cape a short time afterward. In the spring of 1865 he
was transferred from the " U. S. Grant " to the "Hat-
chel," and was honorably discharged by general or-
der in June, 1865, at Mound City, 111.

John Driscoll, restaurant proprietor, 641 East
Eighth street, Erie, Pa., was born in county Cork, Ire-
land, December 25, 1835, and is a son of Dennis and
Kate (Connors) Driscoll, who were also natives of Ire-
land. John is the eldest in a family of seven children.
He was reared and educated in his'native land in 1872,
came to America and located in Erie, where he fol-
lowed farming and laboring until 1886, when he en-
gaged in his present business. He was married March
20, 1859, to Miss Johanna, daughter of Patrick and
and Kate (Harrington) Mackin. To this union were
born six children: Dennis, Kate (deceased), Michael,
Timothy (deceased), Mary (deceased) and Johanna.
The family are members of the Catholic Church. Mr.
Driscoll is a Democrat.

Edward C. Ble««er, Erie, Pa., was born in Erie
county, February 8, 1869, and is a son of Anthony and
Lucinda (Moore) Blenner, the former a native of Erie
county, Pennsylvania, and the latter of Ohio. Edward
was reared and educated in McKean and Mill Creek
townships. In 1882 the family moved to Erie, where
Edward was engaged in the hotel business with his
father until December, 1894, when he engaged in the
restaurant business for himself at 601 Eleventh street.
He was married in 1891 to Miss Mary, daughter of
John and Mary (Nellis) Steimer, natives of Germany.
They have two children. Marguerite and Mabel. Mr.
and Mrs. Blenner are members of the Catholic Church,
and he is a member of the C. M. B. A. Politically he
is a Democrat.

L. C. Koehler, restaurant proprietor, Erie, Pa., is
a native of Erie. He was born March 11, 1849, and is
a son of Charles and Rosanna (Neff) Koehler, the for-
mer a native of Holland and the latter of Germany.
Mr. Koehler is the third in a family of six children,
was reared and educated in the city of Erie, and as a
young man engaged in the brewing business, which he
followed fifteen years, when he engaged in the restau-
rant business, to which he has since devoted his atten-
tion. He owns the block which is occupied by his
restaurant, having built it in 1893. He was married to
Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Barnard Durfield and
Barbara (Leingang) Barnard, the former a native of
Holland and the latter of Germany. They have two
children, Rose and Ida. Mr. Koehler is a popular and
pleasing host. Politically he is a Republican.

Gottlob Reidel, Erie, Pa., is one of Erie's well-
known and most popular restaurant keepers. He was
born in Wurtemburg, Germany, December 26, 1854,
and is a son of Gottlob and Caroline (Metzger) Reidel,
who were also natives of Germany. In the family
there were four children, of whom Gottlob is the third.
He was reared and educated in his native land, and,
in 1871, emigrated to America and settled in Philadel-



phia, where he followed butchering until 1885, when
he came to Erie and engaged in his present business.
He was married April 12, 1885, to Elizabeth Kussmull,
of Erie. They have four children: Kate, Louisa,
Peter and Carrie. The family are members of the
Lutheran Church. Mr. Reidel is a member of the
K. O. T. M. and the Knights of the Golden Eagle.

William Zitnmerly, restaurant proprietor, 102



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 148 of 192)