Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 149 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 149 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


East Twentv-first street, Erie, Pa., was born in Girard,
Pa., September 28, 1839. He is a son of Henry and
Susan (Moyer) Zimmerly, the former a native of
Switzerland, and the latter of Pennsylvania. They
reared a family of seven childr»n, of whom William
was the fifth. He was reared and educated in Girard,
followed farming and brickmaking until 1891, when
he came to Erie and engaged in the restaurant busi-
ness, where he has since been eminently successful.
He was married September 25, 1860, to Miss Ernestine,
daughter of Peter and Ernestine (Hanth) Seachrist,
natives of Baden, Germany. To this union have been
ten children: Henry, Samuel (deceased), Mary (mar-
ried to Louis Beck), William, Lulu (married John C.
Flath), Ernie (married August Heckwith), George,
Hattie and James. Politically Mr. Zimmerly is a Re-
publican, and he is a member of the A. O. U. W.

John Keller, Erie, Pa., is a native of Germany,
and was born in Rheinpfaltz, May 2, 1843. He is a
son of Heimich and Elizabeth (O'xenreiden) Keller,
also natives of Germany. John is the youngest in a
family of six children. He was reared and educated
in Germany, and at the age of 25 came to America,
and immediately located in Erie, where he engaged
in the handling of meats until 1887, when he engaged
in the restaurant business at 2514 Peach street, where
he has since conducted a very successful business.
He was married in 1867 to Miss Maria, daughter of
Jacob and Pauline (Hoffman) Horn, nativesof Ger-
many. They have five children: August, Julia (now
Mrs. Frank Scheppner, of Erie), Helena, Ida and
Minnie. He is a member of the C. M. B. A., and the
family are members of the Catholic Church. Polit-
ically he is a Democrat.

T. Jeff IVIiller, Erie, Pa., was born in Erie, De-
cember ri, 1859, and is a son of T. Jeff and Mary
(Saulsbury) Miller, who were also natives of Erie.
They reared a family of two children: Pauline (de-
ceased), and T. Jeff, who was reared and educated in
Erie, and when a young man was appointed on the.
Erie police force, where he served about eight years.
In 1892 he engaged in the restaurant business, which
he continued until April, 1895. Mr. Miller was mar-
ried June 14, 1879, to Miss Lena Gardner, of St. Cath-
erines, Canada. They have two children: Jeff and
Blanche. Mr. Miller is a member of the Knights of
Pythias, and politically is an enthusiastic Repub-



George Seellnger, Erie, Pa., is a native of Erie,
and was born September 10, 1861. He is a son of Jo-
seph and Kate (Loesch) Seelinger, the former a native
of Germany, and the latter of New York. Joseph Seel-
inger was one of Erie's leading contractors and build-
ers for several years. He died in 1885. George is the
eldest in a family of eight children. He was reared
and educated in Erie, and commenced life as a clerk



754



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



in a dry goods store, which occupation he followed
two years, when he learned the carpenter's trade,
which he worked at for ten years, and at the death of
his father, engaged in contracting and building until
1889, when he entered the employ of Henry Shenk,
where he remained until 1891. He then engaged in
the restaurant business at 2228 State street, where he
has since enjoyed an extensive patronage. Mr. Seel-
inger was married. May 5, 1891, to Miss Helen, daugh-
ter of Ferdinand Herbert, of Erie. They have one
child, Helen Florence. He is a member of the C. M.
B. A., and is a Catholic. Politically he is a Democrat,
and at present holds the office of assessor of the Fifth
ward. •

Joha Fehretibach, restaurant proprietor, 757
Eighteenth street, Erie, Pa., born in Baden, Germany,
June 18, 1829, is a son of John and Cresenta (Schwab)
Fehrenbnch, natives of Germany. In the family were
seven children, of whom John was second. He was
reared and educated in his native land; engaged in
the brewery business until 1862, when he emigrated to
America, locating in Canada, where he remained two
years. He then came to Erie and worked in a brew-
ery two years. In 1865 he embarked in the restaurant
business, which he has since successfully followed.
He was married August 15, 1862, in Ireland, to Miss
Mary, daughter of James McSorley, of Enniskillen,
County Fermaugh, Ireland. To them were born five
children: Leo (deceased), John J., Mary (deceased),
Mary T. (deceased), and Edward J. The family are
members of the Catholic Church. Politically Mr.
Fehrenbach is a Democrat.



Jeremiah McCarthy, restaurant proprietor,
corner of Holland and Front streets, Erie, Pa., was
born July 15, 1842, in County Cork, Ireland, and is a
son of Florence and Mary (Coughlan) McCarthy, na-
tives of Ireland. He is fifth son in a family of seven
children, and was reared and educated in Ireland. In
1868 he came to America, and settled in Erie. He en-
gaged in the restaurant business, in 1875, which he has
since very successfully carried on. Mr. McCarthy
was married January 3, 1876, to Miss Bridget McCar-
thy, daughter of Michael and Catherine (Sullivan)
McCarthy, natives of County Cork, Ireland. The
family are members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Mc-
Carthy has been assessor. Politically he is a Demo-
crat.

John Strattch, restaurant proprietor, 2202 Peach
street, Erie, Pa., was born in Germany June 7, 1845,
and is a son of Joseph and Josephine ( Bolleg) Strauch,
natives of Germany. John was the eldest in a family
of eight children, and when he was 9 years old the
family emigrated to America and located in Erie. He
was engaged in the manufacture of pumps thirteen
years, working for A. B. Gunnison. Next he went
into the boot and shoe trade with the Erie Boot and
Shoe Company, remaining; six years. He then be-
came interested in the milk business, which he fol-
lowed until 1885, when he purchased his present prop-
erty and engaged in the restaurant business. He was
married in 1865 to Miss Catherine Gamer, of Erie, Pa.
They have two children, Anna, wife of George Rin-
dernecht, and Rose. The family are members of the
Catholic Church. Mr. Strauch is a Democrat.



Heary Spetz, restaurant proprietor, Erie, Pa., was
born in Ontario, Canada, November 28, 1859. He is a
son of John and Mary (Kramer) Spetz, the former a
native of Canada and the latter of Germany. They
reared a family of fifteen children, of whom Henry
was the fifth. The family settled in Erie when Henry
was a child, and here he was reared and educated.
He followed various occupations, such as farming,
stone quarrying and tending bar, until April, 1894,
when he engaged in the restaurant business, which he
has since successfully followed. He was married
May 10, 1885, to Miss Amelia, daughter of Emanuel
and Laura (Little) Final, natives of England. To
this union was born six children; Minnie M., Clara
A., Agnes L., Louis J., Elmer H. and Anna M.
(deceased). The family are members of St. Mary's
Church. Mr. Spetz is a member of the C. M. B. A.

Peter Lund, restaurant proprietor, 1132 Chestnut
street, Erie, Pa., was born in Denmark January 18,
1850, and is a son of George P. Lund. He is the
seventh in a family of eleven children, was reared and
educated in his native land, and there he learned the
shoemaker's trade. In 1869 he emigrated to America
and settled in Jamestown, N. Y., where he learned
cabinet-making, which he followed in Jamestown four
years. In 1873 he located in Erie and entered the
employ of the Burdett Organ Company. Here he
remained nine years, when he engaged in his present
business, and has since conducted a first-class restau-
rant. He was united in marriage October 27, 1882, to
Miss Kate, daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Givins)
Sab, of Erie. They have four children, Walter E.,
James L., Clarence H. and Ralph E. The family
attend the Lutheran Church. Mr. Lund is a member
of the I. O. O. F. aud the K. O. T. M. Politically he
is a Republican.

Peter Schumacher, restaurant proprietor, 420
West Twelfth street, Erie, Pa., is a native of Germany.
He was born February 6, 1838, and is a son of Peter
and Margaret (Klemm) Schumacher, also natives of
Germany. The family came to America in 1848 and
settled in Buffalo, where the parents both died. They
reared a family of six children, of whom Peter is the
fourth. He was reared and educated in Buffalo,
where he learned the moulder's trade and worked at it
in Buffalo until 1886. Then he came to Erie and fol-
lowed the trade until 1893, when he engaged in his
present business. He was married in 1862 to Miss
Othillia Theobald, of Buffalo. They have eleven
children; Mary, Peter, Othillia, Margaret. George,
Victor, Richard, Jacob, Ella, Lulu, Albert and Edward
(deceased). The family are members of the Catholic
Church. Politically Mr. Schumacher is a Democrat.

Charles Erhart, the popular restaurant propri-
etor, is engaged in business at 708 West Eighteenth
Erie, Pa. He was born in Erie November 9, 1837, and
is a son of Wolfgang and Sophia (Shoemaker) Erhart,
the former a native of Germany and the latter of
France. The parents emigrated to this country in
1830 and settled in Erie, where they reared a family of
nine children, of whom Charles is the fourth. He re-
ceived a common school education, and when a young
man learned the harnessmaker's trade. This trade he
followed until 1862, when he enlisted in the 122d III.
Reg., 16th army corps, 1st div., 2d brig., under Captain



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



755



Bostwick. He served in the army of the Cumberland
and participated in the following engagements:
Barkies Cross Roads, Nashville, Tenn., the battles of
Fort Spanish and Fort Blakely. He served faithfully
until the close of the war, and in 1865 was mustered out
by general order of the war department and received
his honorable discharge at Springfield, 111. He im-
mediately returned to Erie and went to work in a gro-
cery store with his father, and two years later opened
a grocery store and restaurant, where he successfully
continued in business until 1873, when he sold out
and went to California. After spending about one year
on the Pacific coast he returned to Erie and worked
in the Philadelphia and Erie shops until 1880, when he
engaged in the saloon business, where he has success-
fully continued up to the present time. In 1882 he
built his present place. Mr. Erhart was married Jan-
uary 12, 1867, to Miss Mary Mosemann, of Erie. She
departed this life May 10, 1893, leaving seven children:
Edward, Anthony, Katie, Joseph, Mary, Tillie and
Max. On August 17, 1895, Mr. Erhart was married to
Mrs. Caroline Meyer, of Erie. Mr. Erhart is a repre-
sentative citizen and politically is a Democrat. The
family are members of the Catholic Church, and he is
a member of the G. A. R., U. V. L. and A. O. U. W.

John P. Thompsoti, proprietor of the Sailor's
Home Hotel, Erie, Pa., was born in the northern part
of Sweden, 68 degrees north latitude, on the Bay of
Bothnia, May 10, 1835, and is a son of John and Cath-
erine (Jaderstrom) Thompson, natives of Sweden. At
9 he adopted his father's calling, that of a sailor, and
after two years came to America, engaging with the
American merchant marine. At 19 he was captain of
an American mail packet, sailing the Southern waters.
Two years later he came North and entered the Amer-
ican merchant marine here, where he remained til! the
breaking out of the war, when he enlisted as gunner's
mate in the United States navy steamer " Penguin,"
June 19, 1861, and at the end of a year' active service
was honorably discharged. He then enlisted as a pri-
vate and was afterwards promoted to sergeant in Co.
E, 155th N. Y. V. I., but in seventeen months was
transferred to the United States steamer " Princeton,"
and soon promoted to the position of master's mate
and ordered to the United .States steamer " Laburnum,"
to do service off Charleston, S. C, under Admiral Dahl-
gren. Here he was appointed ensign and ordered to
steamer " Catalfa," doing picket duty. When Charles-
ton was evacuated he secured the original manuscript
containing the constitution of the confederacy and de-
livered it to Captain Noyes, who delivered it to Admiral
Dahlgren. Mr. Thompson subsequently did duty on
the man-of-war " Calypso," and on Admiral Dahlgren's
flag ship " Philadelphia." On September 30, 1865, he
went to Washington and there received an honorable
discharge as ensign. He then engaged in merchant
service on salt water till 1866, when he went on the
lakes for several years. He retired from this in 1871,
and has since engaged in his present business. He
was married April, 1852, in New York to Anna Yetter-
berg of his native country, who departed this life May
15, 1865, leaving a daughter, Anna, wife of Stephen A.
Thompson, of the United States steamer "Richmond."
They have a son and daughter, George Peter and
Alice Mary. Mr. Thompson was married again Feb-
ruary 4, 1866, to Elizabeth Warrener, of Derbyshire,
England. They have a bright, intelligent family, con-



sisting of three children: John Harvey, Mary Eliza-
beth (Lillie), George Thomas. The family are mem-
bers of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Thompson belongs
to the I. O. O. F. (being a member of the Encampment),
A. O. U. W., Select Knights, G. A. R. and of
benevolent associations.



many



Valentine Knochel (deceased) spent a life of
business activity in the city of Erie. He was a native
of Germany. Mr. Knochel was born September 10,
1828, and was a son of Michael and Elizabeth (Staudt)
Knochel, who were also natives of Germany. They
reared a family of five children, of whom \'alentine
was the second. He was reared and educated in Ger-
many, where he early learned tailoring. When a
young man he emigrated to America and settled in
Erie, where he engaged in the tailoring business for
himself and carried on an extensive trade for several
years. In 1869 he engaged in the restaurant business,
to which he devoted his attention until the time of his
death, which occurred February 11, 1871. Mr. Knochel
was married January 16, 1854, to Miss Mary, daughter
of Mark Nellis, one of Erie's oldest residents. They
have eight children: Lizzie, John, Adam (deceased),
Lena, Kate, Wendell and George (deceased). Mrs.
Knochel assumed control of the business at the death
of her husband, and has shown herself to be a woman
of excellent business ability, a statement borne out by
the appearance of her handsome and up-to-date res-
taurant, situated at 1214 Parade street.

Peter C. Grumblatt (deceased I, Erie, Pa., was born
in Belford, France, April 30, 1829. He was reared
and educated in his native land, where he remained
until 1854, when he emigrated to America and settled
in Erie. In 1863 he opened a restaurant on State,
between Eleventh and 'Twelfth. This place he occu-
pied three years, when he engaged in the saloon busi-
ness at 158 East Tenth street. Here he continued in
business until the time of his death, which occurred
April 2, 1889. He was married May 1, 1862, to Miss
Caroline, daughter of John and Louisa (Nobloch)
Hirsch, natives of Germany, who came to America in
1841 and settled in Erie. In the family there were
five children: Edith L., John P., Celestin J., Theobolt
J. and Lena J. Mr. Grumblatt was a worthy citizen,
and a staunch Democrat. The family are members of
the Catholic Church.

Frank Bloeser, proprietor of restaurant, Erie,
Pa., was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, April 23, 1831. He
is a son of the late John and Mary (Arshof) Bloeser.
Mrs. Bloeser died in 1842, and ten years later Mr.
Bloeser and his son, Frank, came to the United States,
joining an elder son, John Bloeser, jr., who was then
engaged in cabinet making in New York city. Frank
learned the trade of cabinet making in the old coun-
try, and pursued it in New York city until the death of
his brother, when he came to Erie, where he engaged
in the same business until 1875. Three years sub-
sequent to his removal, his father followed him to
Erie, where he died in 1862. In 1875 Frank Bloeser
opened a restaurant on West Fourth street, which he
removed to Cascade street for a short time, in 1879
opening at his present location at Third and Cascade.
He was married January 1, 1854, to Louisa, daughter
of Daniel Stevens, a resident of Meadville, Pa. An
adopted child, Mary, is the wife of Henry Quigley, of



756



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



Conneaut, Ohio, and has three children: Frank, Tarrie
and WiUiam. Mr. Bloeser is an Odd Fellow and a
Harugari.

Jacob Heimberger, dealer in meat, Erie, Pa.,
was born in Hersbruck, Bavaria, May 30, 1843. He is
a son of the late Andrew and Mary (Neu) Heimberger,
natives of Bavaria, where they resided until 1868,
when they came to the United States and located in
Erie. Andrew Heimberger died in 1894; his wife sur-
vives, and resides on Cascade, near Fourth street.
His son, Jacob, was educated at the parochial schools
of his native village, learned the trade of butcher,
and, in 1860, came to the United States, locating in
Erie, where he has since been engaged in the butch-
ering business. In 1890 he purchased Henry Herst's
restaurant, at Fourth and Cascade streets, adjoining
his meat store, and is the present proprietor of both
establishments. He has been twice married; in 1865
to Susan, daughter of Peter Schuster, a native of
Bavaria. She died in 1867, leaving no children. He
was married in 1870 to Mary, daughter of the late
Joachim Knobloch, a brewer and old resident of Erie.
Two children born of this marriage are Elizabeth
(wife of (ki)r>;e W'llkins, a molder, of Erie) and
Cliarli-s IlciinlX'ri;!'! , who is associated with his father
in liusincss. Tlic l.iiiiily reside at Fourth and Cascade
streets, ami are mcmliers of the German Lutheran
Church. Mr. Heimberger is a member of the Mac-
cabees and Harugaris.

Albert and Bernard Veit, proprietors of the
restaurant at 154 East Eighteenth street, are both
natives of Erie. Their father, Tobias Veit, was a
native of Neupfoltz, Bavaria, where he was born De-
cember 6, 1828. He worked upon his father's farm
until 1851, when he came to the United States, locating
in Erie in October of that year. He was employed as
a moulder at the several foundries of Erie until 1888,
when he purchased Jacob Kaltenbach's restaurant,
continued to run it until May, 1894, when it was pur-
chased by his sons, Alfred and Bernard. Tobias V'eit
was married in November, 1851, to Anna Elizabeth,
daughter of Adam HolTiiian, also of Neupfoltz,
Bavaria. Five chililrrn ul this marriage survive;
Albert (unmarried), Hurn.iiil (who married Olga,
daughter of Dr. Achncr, and has one child, Marguerite
Alma), Maggie (who married Peter Leiss, an employe
of the Erie Car Works, and who has two children,
Edward and George), Telga (widow of the late Louis
Knaf, and who has four children. Lulu, Ella, William,
Mary) and Lena, wife of Patrick Foley, a Lake Shore
engineer, who has one child, Mabel.

Martin Lambeiu, proprietor of the Tenth Avenue
Restaurant, Erie, Pa., a native of Saxony, Germany,
was born June 9, 1847. He is a son of Martin and
Magdalene Lambein, who were also natives of Ger-
many. He received his early educition in his native
land, and in 1866 came to America and settled in Buf-
falo, N. Y. Here he remained three years, when he
went to Corry, Pa., where he resided two years. In
1871 became to Erie, and ten years later engaged in
the .saloon business, which he has since successfully
followed. He is now proprietor of the Tenth Avenue
Restaurant, which is modern in its appointments and
he controls a large and appreciative patronage. Mr.
Lambein was married in 1879 to Miss Amelia Wed-



dige, a native of Erie, Pa. Mr. Lambein is a member
of the I. O. O. F., and politically is a Republican.

James H. Burns, formerly restaurant proprietor,
Erie, Pa., is a native of County Limerick, Ireland, and
was born September 2, 1845. His parents, Patrick H.
and Mary (Sidley) Burns emigrated to America in
1850 and settled at Painesville, O. They had nine
children, of whom James H. is the third. He was
reared and educated in Painesville. When a young
man he entered the employ of the E. & P. R. R.
Company in the capacity of fireman, and three years
later was promoted to engineer, and served faithfully
at his post on the right side of the locomotive cab for
twenty-five years, when he engaged in the restaurant
business in Erie until 1895, when he disposed of the
business. He was married in 1876 to Miss Alice,
daughter of M. Donhm, of Erie. They have six chil-
dren, Edward, Frank, Joseph, Jane, Maggie and Mary.
They are members of the Catholic Church and polit-
ically he is a Democrat.

Bartley Oess, proprietor of the well-known res-
taurant situated at 2203 Peach street, Erie, Pa., was
born in Germany August 22, 1842, and is a son of
Fedal and Susanna Oess. He was reared and edu-
cated in his native land and in 1882 emigrated to
America and settled in Erie, where he entered the
employ of Jackson Koehler and remained with him
until 1891, when he engaged in his present business.
He was married July 23, 1868, to Miss Juddet Steitle,
of Baden, Germany. They have four children,
namely: Minnie, Katie, August and Albert. Mr. Oess
is politically a Democrat and a member of the Catholic
Church.

Theodore Ohmer, a well-known restaurant pro-
prietor of Erie, Pa., was born June 22, 1843, at Herx-
heim, near Landau, Bavaria. He is a son of Frank C.
and Franciska (Schultz) Ohmer, also natives, of Ger-
many. Mr. Ohmer is the youngest in a family of
eight children. He was reared and educated in his
native land and at the age of 20 came to America and
immediately settled in Erie. He worked at the
cooper's trade until 1891, when he purchased his pres-
ent property, where he has since carried on a success-
ful business. He was married November 18, 1863, to
Miss ApoUonia, daughter of John A. and Margarita
(Finck) Ohmer, of Germany. They have nine chil-
dren: Louis, Frank, George, Mary, Joseph, John,
Caroline, Josephine and Pauline. Politically Mr.
Ohmer is a Democrat. The family are members of
the Catholic Church and reside at the corner of
Twenty-eighth and Parade streets.

George J. Winter, proprietor of the old estab-
lished restaurant situated at 126 East Eleventh street,
Erie, Pa., was born August 16, 1869, and is a son of
George and Theresa (Krezerder) Winter, natives of
Germany. They came to America in 1854 and settled
in Erie, where the father worked at tanning for a
short time, when he engaged in the restaurant busi-
ness, which he followed until the time of his death.
In the family there were seven children, of whom
George is the youngest. He was reared and educated
in Erie, where he followed the occupation of a brass-
worker five years, then at the death of his father, in
1892, he succeeded him in the restaurant business, and




- 'y-avta by JKCmnp "



(2J' cj] l^^'lA^^Uy^



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COVNTY.



757



has since been very successful. Ho was married
May 16, 1891, to Miss Catherine, daughter of Alex-
ander and Viola (Blake) Moyer, natives of Pennsyl-
vania. To this union were born two children, Bertha
and Mabel. Politically he is a Democrat. He is a
nii'iiiber (if the St. Benedictus Society, the Catholic
Knit;lits of America, and the Erie Catholic Casino.
The family are members of the Catholic Church.

Anton J. Kerner, restaurant proprietor, 404 West
Eighteenth street, Erie, Pa., was born August 14, 1852,
at Erie. He i> a son of Jacob and Josephine (Peffer)
Kerner, natives of Germany, who came to America
about 1845, settling in Erie. Anton is the eldest in a
family of eight children. He was reared and educated
in Erie, began life on the farm, and subsequently
worked in his father's brewery until he was 23 years
of age. He then worked for Fred Koehler for eleven
years, when he embarked in the restaurant business
for himself at his present location, where he has been
very successful. He was married November 11, 1879,
to Miss Mary, daughter of Jacob and Teresa Goetz,
natives of Germany. To this union were born six
children: Jacob A., John W., William, Michael, Kate
and Peter A. The family are members of the Catholic
Church. Mr. Kerner is a member of the C. M. B. A.,
German Friendship and E. E. T. Politically he is a
Democrat.

Emil Uhlmann, restaurant proprietor, 664 West
Eighteenth street, was born in Germany August 14,
1861, and is a son of August and Emilie (Miller) Uhl-
mann, natives of Germany. He was reared and edu-
cated in Germany, and in 1880 came to America. He
settled in Erie and followed his trade, that of tinsmith,
until 1891, when he engaged in the restaurant business
at his present location, where he enjoys an extensive



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 149 of 192)