Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 150 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 150 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


trade. He was married July 11, 1883, to Miss Mary
Findeis, of Germany. To this union have been born
six children, Martha, Leopold, Charles, Fred, William
and Lilli. The family are members of the German
Lutheran Church. Mr. Uhlmann is a member of the
Knights of the Golden Eagle, D. O. H., and politically
is a Republican.

Patrick Applebee, Erie, Pa., was born in Scot-
land March 31, 1850. He is a son of Thomas and
Alice (McGrevy) Applebee, who are natives of Ire-
land. Of a family of nine children he is the fourth.
He was reared and educated in Ireland, and at the
age of 19 came to America, settled in Erie, and en-
tered the employ of the Erie City Iron Works, where
he remained one year. He then worked in the Erie
blast furnace four years, when he entered the United
States navy and served on the steamer " Michigan "
five years, and, in 1881, was appointed on the Erie
police force, where he served ten years. In 1891 he
engaged in business at 332 State street, where he has
a very handsome restaurant. He was married May
29, 1869, to Miss Margaret, daughter of Michael Fah-
ney, a native of Ireland. They have five children,
Annie, Alice, Maggie, William and John. Mr. Apple-
bee and family are members of the Catholic Church,
and he is also a member of the C. M. B. A. Politically
he is a Democrat.

C. M. Hughson, Erie, Pa., was born at Sacketts
Harbor, N. Y., April 5, 1860, and is a son of Caleb and



Lois (Toles) Hughson, the former a native of England
and the latter of New York. Mr. Hughson is the fifth
in a family of thirteen children. He was reared and
educated in Sacketts Harbor. After he left school he
ran an express business at Sacketts Harbor, and at
the same time engaged in the livery business and was
United States mail messenger for five years. He then
went to Boston and worked on the Cambridge R. R.
about four years, when he came to Erie and was a
bartender for six years. In 1894 he went into the res-
taurant business at No. 102 .Sassafras street, which he
has since successfully conducted. Mr. Hughson was
married July 20, 1894, to Miss Jennie, daughter of
Isaac and Lizzie (Wright) Burns, natives of Ireland.
They have four children, viz.: Raymond, Norman,
Ralph and Caleb (deceased). The family are mem-
bers of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Hughson is a
member of the I. O. O. F., and politically isa Repub-
lican.

William J. Kelley, restaurateur, 517 French street,
Erie, Pa., was born in Erie November 5, 1868, and is a
son of James and Mary (Mahoney) Kelley, the former
a native of Ireland, the latter of Erie. They were par-
ents of eleven children, of whom William is the
eighth. He was reared and educated in Erie, and
after finishing school began tending bar for James
Burns, where he remained two years. He then took
charge of Massassauga Point Hotel bar, and remained
two years. In June, 1893, he embarked in his present
business, which he has successfully conducted since.
Mr. Kelley is married. He is a member of the Cath-
olic Church, the Catholic Legion, and politically is a
Democrat.

Valentine Wagner, restaurant proprietor, 327
East Tenth street, Erie, Pa., was born in Germany,
December 31, 1834. He was the son of Henrich and
Catherine (Leingang) Wagner, natives of Germany,
and was third in a family of nine children. Mr. Wag-
ner was reared and educated in Germany, came to
America in 1853, locating in Erie, where he worked in
an oilcloth factory until 1856. He then went to Cal-
ifornia, where he worked twelve years as a gold dig-
ger. From California he went to Montana, where for
seven months he slept on the ground, covered with
three inches of snow, part of the time. He made the
trip from California to Montana on horseback, and the
trip took 54 days. After three years' experience in
the Montana gold diggings he returned to Erie and
was engaged in peddling for seven years. In 1879 he
became interested in the restaurant business (succeed-
ing his brother, George Wagner, who died), and has
since been in that business. In 1883 he built his
present place, where he has been very successful. He
was married January 30, 1873, to Miss Catherine,
daughter of Joseph and Catherine (Haberzetel) Peter,
natives of Austria. They have three children, Julia,
Georgeand Rose. In politics Mr. Wagner is independ-
ent. The family are members of the Catholic
Church, and he is a member of the C. M. B. A. He is
also a member of St. Benedictus Society. In 1892 he
made a trip to Germany and Austria to visit relatives,
remaining there three months.

Frank Nagosky, restaurant proprietor, 418 East
Twelfth street, Erie, Pa., a native of Prussia, was
born August 14, 1865, and is a son of Joseph Nagosky,



758



NELSON'S BIOORAPHICAL BICTIONABY



also a native of Prussia. Frank, who was reared and
educated in his native land, in 1885 eniif^rated to
America and settled in Erie, where he entered the
employ of the Jarecki Manufactunng Company. He
remained in the employ of that institutionfor four years,
when he entered the employ of his brother as a wine
clerk, where he remained five years. In January, 1893,
he engaged in the restaurant business at his present
stand, where he has been remarkably successful. He
was married May 17, 1892, to Miss Anna Bospiaski, of
Erie. One child has been born to this union, Dora.
Mr. and Mrs. Nagosky are members of the Catholic
Church and he is a member of St. Mary's Society and
St. Benedictus Society.

John Sandusky, proprietor of the restaurant at
760 East Twelfth street, Erie, Pa., was born in Erie,
March 3, 1843, and is a son of John and Christina (Ein-
stead) Sandusky, natives of Poland and Hanover, Ger-
many, respectively. The family came to America in
1838, and located in Erie, where Mr. Sandusky worked
as laborer. His death occurred in 1854, aged 66 years.
Mrs. Sandusky departed this life in 1884, aged 83
years. To this couple were born five children : Charles
(deceased), Minnie (deceased), wife of Philip Liebel;
Jacob, John and William, traveling engineer for the
Philadelphia and Erie R. R. John Sandusky received
his education in the public schools of Erie, and when
11 years of age began the battle of life as a farm hand
in Mill Creek township, working on the farm for nine
years. He then followed railroading for two years, as
brakeman and fireman. After this he followed con-
tracting for two years. He then worked for seven
years as cranesman on a dredge, owned and operated
by the P. & E. R. R. Company, after which he was
appointed a patrolman on the Erie police force, serv-
ing for sixteen years, for the last two years as rounds-
man. In the spring of 1891 he opened his present
place of business, and by fair dealing and close at-
tention to business he now enjoys a lucrative patron-
age. Mr. Sandusky was united in marriage, August
1, 1869, to Miss Mary, daughter of George Crater, of
Erie, and to them have been born six children: Sarah,
вАҐMrs. Max Schenfield; Minnie (deceased), Emma, at
home; Nora (deceased), Charles and Edward. Mr.
Sandusky is one of the popular restaurateurs of Erie,
conducting a strictly first-class house. He is a mem-
ber of the United Workmen, and in politics is a Re-
publican.

Julius Moske, proprietor of the restaurant, 502
East Eleventh street, Erie, Pa., was born in Germany,
February 2, 1852, and is a son of Peter and Anna
(Garski) Moske, natives of Germany, where the father,
a potter by trade, died in 1866, aged 74 years. His
wife departed this life the same year, aged 45 years.
There were five children born to them: Joseph, a
farmer in Germany; John (deceased), Julius, Rosa,
wife of Michael Holtz, of Erie, Pa., and August, a
shoemaker in Germany. Julius Moske came to
America, in 1872, when 20 years of age. He had re-
ceived a good education in his native country, and lo-
cating in Erie, found employment the first summer in
a lumber yard. Following this he worked one year
as section hand for the P. & E. R. R., and the follow-
ing spring he hired out as farm hand in Springfield
township, working six months. He then entered the
employ of C. M. Conrad, working in his brewery over



sixteen years, and for the last nine years was foreman
of that establishment. In the spring of 1887 he
opened a grocery store at the corner of Thirteenth and
Wallace streets, which was managed for two years by
his wife, he still holding his position in the brewery.
In the spring of 1889 he left the employ of Mr. Con-
rad, and devoted his attention to the grocery busmess.
In the spring of 1895 he sold out and purchased his
present restaurant business of John F. Fibers. Mr.
Moske was married May 29, 1879, to Miss Salamea
Maleske, of Erie, Pa., a native of Poland, and to them
have been born ten children: John (deceased), Antonio,
a clerk in his father's grocery store; Martin (decased),
Rosa, Anna, Julius (deceased), Charles, Mary, Frank
and Joseph. The family are members of the Roman
Catholic Church. Mr. Moske is a member of the
Order of St. Benedictus, the German Friendship So-
ciety, and the C. M. B. A. He owns the store prop-
erty, corner ol Thirteenth and Wallace streets, and
also three houses, Nos. 455 East Thirteenth street, 724
East Thirteenth, and 534 East Twelfth street, all of
them kept for renting. Mr. Moske resides in the
building, where he does business, 502 East Eleventh
street. His fair dealing and genial ways making him
a popular and successful restaurateur.

Michael Keller, proprietor ot the restaurant. No.
1515 Peach street, Erie, Pa., was born in Germany,
April 17, 1859, and is a son of Anthony and Elizabeth
(Kuhn) Keller, both natives of Germany. The former
is a boatman on the River Rhine, the latter died in
Germany. To them were born five children: George,
a bricklayer in Erie; Mary, Michael, Frances and Con-
rad. Michael and his brother, George, are the only
members of the family who came to America.
Michael received a common school education, and
learned the mason trade in his native country, and in
1880 came to America, and located in Erie, Pa., where
he learned brick-laying, and followed that trade till
1885, when he began contracting brick and stone work,
and has done some of the finest work in Erie, among
which we mention the handsome and massive stone
residence of H. F. Watson, Maennerchor Hall, Penn-
sylvania Boiler Works, Zuck's Hardware building,
Shaw Piano Works, and many other equally large
contracts. He bought his present restaurant business
from T. M. Alberstadt, the latter part of April, 1895,
and, although new to the business, is conducting it in
a practical manner that will insure him a prosperous
trade in his section. He is a thorough busmess man,
and possesses the energy and push that wins success.
Mr. Keller was married to Miss Mary, daughter of
Anton Kerner, and to them were born four children:
Michael (deceased), Anthony, Louisa and George (de-
ceased). After the death of his first wife, Mr. Keller
was united in marriage to Miss Magdalena, daughter
of Christopher Mehl, and to this union have been born
three children: Margaret, Rose and Kate. The family
are members of the German Catholic Church. He is a
member of the C. M. B. A., the German Benevolent So-
ciety, of which he is president; the South Erie Turn-
ers, and the Erie Maennerchor. In politics he is in-
dependent. Mr. Keller resides at the corner of Twen-
ty-sixth and Cochran streets, where he owns two fine
houses.

George W. Heisler, proprietor of the restaurant
at 825 East Eighteenth street, Erie, Pa., was born in



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUliTY.



759



MiilacU'lphia, May 18, 1857, and is a sen ,.f John and
Haihara (Kranien Hi-islcr, l)otl, uaiivcs u[ Germany.
|()hn HrisltT, a carpi-ntcr l)v tiailr, i .ww tii America
aluKit 1S50, and Incaf.l in I'hil.i.lrlpl,,,,, wlic-re he fol-
lowed his trade for a lonn time. Later he moved to
Gowanda, X. Y., where he died March 17, 1892, and
where his widow still resides. George received his
early education in Philadelphia, and went to Gowanda,
N. Y., with his parents when 10 years of age; here he
attended school for three years and then went to work
in a machine shop, and after completing the trade
three years later, he went to Buffalo, where he worked
three months; then to Springfield, X. Y., for six
months, after which he worked in Gowanda for a short
time, going from there to Titusville, Pa., where he
worked for two years. From here he went to Pitts-
burg, and in March, 1879, came to Erie and worked
for the Stearnes Manufacturing Company. A few
weeks later he went to Cleveland, Ohio; Elkhart, Ind.,
and Buffalo, N. Y., working a short time in each
place, and from Buffalo he came back to Erie to work
for the Stearnes Company, remaining five months.
He then went to Rochester, N. Y., where he worked
three years, and again returned to Erie, re-engaging
with the Stearnes Company, where he remained until
May, 1895, when he bought his present business from
C. Rabe, sr. He was elected to the common council
from the Fifth ward in February, 1895. He is a mem-
ber of the K. of P., and in politics is a Republican.
Mr. Heisler was married October 27, 1881, to iMiss
Sarah, daughter of George Lauer, of Rochester N. Y.,
and to them have been born four sons: John G., Fred
L., Harry W. and Carl. The family are members of
the German Lutheran Church.

Edward T. Runser, proprietor of the Exchange
restaurant, 1614 Peach street, Erie, Pa., was born in
this city March 18, 1864, a son of Frederick and Kath-
erine (Alberstadt) Runser, the former a native of Erie
county, Pennsylvania, and the latter of Hesse-Darm-
stadt, Germany. The former is flagman at the cross-
ing at Nineteenth and Plum streets for the N. Y., C.
& St. L. R. R. The latter died July 3, 1886, aged 50
years. To this union were born nine children: Fred-
erick (deceased); Charles, a foreman for the Ridgeway
ManufacturingCompany,at Ridgeway, Pa.; Katherine,
Mrs. M. Deitich, of East Mill Creek; Barbara, Mrs. Ed-
ward Buseck, of Erie; Edward T., Frank X., employed
by the Lovell Manufacturing Company; Helena, Mrs.
P. Cummin (deceased); Amelia and Julia, both at home
with the father, residence Sixteenth and Walnut streets.
Edward T. Runser received his education in the
parochial school of South Erie, and when 13 years of
age began work in the mounting shops for the Chicago
and Erie Stove Company, and worked up to foreman
of the pattern shops. He resigned his position to be-
come city agent for T. S. Alberstadt, wholesale liquor
dealer, a position he held till May, 1896. He pur-
chased his present business from Thomas Rossi, who
had conducted it since 1878, the transfer being made
June 10, 1895. Mr. Runser was married April 26, 1887,
to Miss Mary A., daughter of William Boettger, of
Niagara Falls, and to them have been born three chil-
dren: Elizabeth, born May 20, 1888; Edward J., born
August 1, 1890, and Marie, born September 15, 1893.
Mr. and Mrs. Runser are members of St. Michael's
German Catholic Church. Mr. Runser is a member of
St. Joseph's Branch, No. 9, of the C. M. B. A., of which



he is past chancellor. He is lieutenant colonel of
Batallion No. 1 of northwestern Pennsylvania of the
Knights of St. John, financial secretary of'Commandery
No. 222, K. of St. J., and a member of St. AI[)honsus
Relief Society, also of the Sixth Ward Sibley Demo-
cratic Club, of which he was captain. In politics Mr.
Runser is an Independent Democrat.

John Spetz, proprietor of the restaurant at 903
East avenue, Erie, Pa., was born in Waterloo, Canada,
June 11, 1832, and is a son of Theobald and Marian
(Hahner) Spetz, natives of Germany. John was edu-
cated in the common schools of his birthplace, and
when 14 years of age went to work as a farm hand,
following the same for seven years. He then worked
a rented farm for four years, and following this he con-
ducted a hotel for seven years, and in the" fall of 1864
he came to the United States and located in Erie.
Purchasing teams he followed teaming for some time,
and later managed a threshing machine. Becoming
interested in a stone quarry he handled it in connection
with farming operations. In the spring of 1891 he
opened a grocery store at 901 East avenue, and in
April, 1895, he was granted a restaurant license at 903
East avenue. Mr. Spetz was married September 26,
1853, to Miss Mary Kramer, of Canada, and to them
have been born fifteen children: Magdelena, Mrs.
John Kuhn, of Erie; John, jr., |>nipriet(ir of the gro-
cery, 901 East avenue; Marian, Mrs. John T. -Sullivan,
of Portland, Ore.; Columbus, pioprielor of the meat
market, corner of Ninth and Fast avenue; Henry,
whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume; Min-
nie, a Sister of St. Benedict; Katharine, George (de-
ceased), Nicholas (deceased), Margaret, at home;
Philip, bartender for his father; Jacob (deceased), Jo-
sephine (deceased), Frank (deceased) and August (de-
ceased). The family are members of St. Mary's tier-
man Catholic Church. Mr. Spetz is a member of the
Order of St. George; in politics he is independent.

Conrad Darling, proprietor of the restaurant, No.
260 East Eleventh street, Erie, Pa., born in Erie De-
cember 21, 1861, is a son of Conrad and Odilia Dar-
ling. He received his education in the East Tenth
street Catholic school, and when 14 years of age found
employment in the brass department of the Jarecki
Manufacturing Company, where he worked till 1883.
when he was engaged by the Buffalo base ball team
as catcher, and played with them until hurt, in July of
that year. In 1884 he caught for the Franklin Pa.,
team; in 1885 for Syracuse, N. Y.; in 1886 for Toronto,
Canada; in 1887-88-89 for Chicago, and in 1890 for the
Chicago Brotherhood team; in 1891 for Minneapolis,
and in 1892 for Toledo, which was his last ball play-
ing. This gentleman was one of the most successful
catchers of "his day. He bought his present restaurant
business from W. P. Brown in May, 1895, and having
a host of friends and always ready to entertain them
with the best the market affords, he has assurance of
a lucrative business. Mr. Darling was married Jan-
uary 7, 1892, to Anna Krum, of Erie. They have one
son, John Conrad, born February 28, 1894. Mr. and
Mrs. Darling are members of St. Mary's German
Catholic Church. He is a member of the East Erie
Turners, and in politics is independent.

John F. Grant, proprietor of the restaurant 1301
German street, Erie, Pa., born in Erie March 26, 1858,



760



J^ELSOJ^'S BIOGRAPHICAL BICTIONABT



is a son of Edward and Catherine (Neil) Grant, na-
tives of County Wicklow, Ireland. He came to
America about 1845 and located in Erie, where he was
employed until his death, December 3, 1893, aged 65
years. His wife died in 1885, aged 56 years. To this
union were born three children: Mary, James and
John F., the latter being the only one living. He re-
ceived a good education in No. 2 school, Erie, and
when 17 years old went to work in the foundry for the
Jarecki Company, where he learned the moulding
trade, and found occupation for 15 years. He then
went successively to Springfield, O., Cleveland, O.,
Marion, Ind., Decatur, Ala., and to Chattanooga,
Tenn. He followed his trade in each of these cities,
and in 1891 returned to Erie and found employment
again with the Jarecki Manufacturing Company, re-
maining until February, 1895, when he purchased his
present business from Valentine Wagner, May 14,
1895. Mr. Grant was united in marriage December
22, 1894. The family are members of the Roman
Catholic and Baptist Churches, respectively. Mr.
Grant is a thorough business man and his restaurant
is managed on business principles.

John Crotty, proprietor of the restaurant at 332
West Eighteenth street, Erie, Pa., was born in Erie
county January 27, 1859, and is a son of Thomas and
Kate (Downs) Crotty, natives of Ireland, who came to
America in 1845 and settled in Erie county. In 1872
he commenced life, working in the Burdett Organ
factory, where he remained nine years. He then
worked in the W. L. Scott rolling mills for four years.
In 1885 he engaged in the restaurant business, which
he has since carried on with considerable success.
Mr. Crotty was married July 6, 1893, to Miss Minnie,
daughter of George P. and Catherine (Coon) Schwab,
the former a native of Germany and the latter of Erie
county. To this union were born two children, Lillian
and Aurelia M. The family are members of the
Catholic Church. He is a member of the Maccabees.
In politics he is a Democrat.

John Deitz, proprietor of the Farmer's Home,
826 Parade street, Erie, Pa., is a native of Germany.
He was born January 29, 1863, and is a son of John
and Julia (Hoerner) Deitz, who were also natives of
Germany. In the family there were seven children,
five boys and two girls. John was reared and educated
in his native land, and in June, 1881, emigrated to
America and immediately settled in Erie. He worked
about the city for some time, having been in the em-
ploy of Jackson Koehler most of the time up to 1891,
when he engaged in the saloon business at the corner
of Eighth and Ash streets. This he continued one
year, and in 1892 opened his present hotel on Parade
street. He was married January 26, 1889, to Miss
Bertha, daughter of Gustav Hoffman, of Erie. Mr.
Dietz is a very popular and enterprising landlord. He
is always up to date in business, and the excellence of
his house is fully recognized and appreciated by the
public. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the
Odd Fellow Encampment and politically is a Repub-
lican. The family are members of the German Lu-
theran Church.

Daniel W. Hatch, farmer. Hatch Hollow, Erie
county. Pa., was born in Hatch Hollow on the farm he
now owns March 20, 1841, and is the third in a family



of twelve children of Jason C. and Elizabeth (King)
Hatch, natives of New York State. Mr. Hatch is a
grandson of Roswell Hatch, a soldier in the war
of 1812, a prominent citizen and founder of the
Methodist Episcopal Church at Hatch Hollow, where
he passed his life. Daniel is a son of Jason C. Hatch,
who was born in Herkimer county, New York, in 1808
and married Mary A. King. She died in 1838 and he
afterwards married her younger sister, Elizabeth,
daughter of Levi King, born in Vermont in 1784, who,
with his father, Adinijah, born in 1757, settled in Wat-
erford township in 1815. Adinijah, familiarly known
as the " Yankee king," died in Waterford. To Jason
C. were born fifteen children, ten surviving: Edwin,
Daniel W., George, Arvilla, Julia, Scott, Elwin, Wil-
son, Eugene and Fred. Daniel W. and George and
Cyrus served in the late war; the latter was killed in
the first battle of Fredericksburg. Jason was exten-
sively engaged in farming, and at the time of his
death, in 1865, owned over 600 acres of land. Daniel
W. was reared and educated in the public schools of
his birthplace and followed farming until September
16, 1861, when he enlisted in Co. K, 83d P. V. I., under
command of Capt. Thomas M. Austin, of Erie, Pa. He
was sent immediately to the seat of war and partici-
pated in the siege of Yorktown, battles of Hanover
Court House, Gaines Mills, Malvern Hill and second
Bull Run. At the latter place he was severely wounded
by a minie ball, which pierced his head near the right
temple, on a line with his right eye, and lodged under
his left eye, shattering the cheek bone. The wound
came so near being fatal that his reason almost for-
sook him, yet he knew his great danger, crawled from
the battle-field and was picked up by a man who was
drawing ammunition from Centerville to the battle-
field. When he arrived at Centerville, a small place
several miles from the battle-field, Mr. Hatch got out,
it being about dusk, and, although very weak from the
loss of blood, managed to crawl into an empty house,
where he slept, or at least was unconscious until morn-
ing; when he awoke he found that while he slept the
house had been filled with soldiers, some dead and
others severely wounded. After dressing his wound
as best he could at a brook nearby, and drinking some
coffee which was being distributed and a little brandy
a kind stranger offered, he started for Washington, a
distance of thirty miles, but about four miles out he
became unconscious and remained in that condi-
tion some hours; when he returned to consciousness
an ambulance relief corps was passing, and he was
placed in one of the cots made vacant by a soldier who
had died from his wounds. After three days tedious
march the corps reached Washington, and Mr. Hatch
was taken to the Union Hospital at Georgetown, re-
maining there two months, when he was transferred
to the general hospital at Newark, N. J. He was



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 150 of 192)