Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 152 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 152 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to alwa>s vote for the best man. Willard McCray is
the third in this family, and was born February 2, 1856,
on the old McCray homestead, on which his grand-
father settled many years ago, when the county was
new. He was reared at his birth-place, and educated
in the public schools of Concord township and the Ed-
inboro State Normal School. He taught school for
two years, after finishing his education, and then en-
gaged in farming, and has followed it ever since. He
is a man of more than ordinary intelligence and edu-
cation, and is one of Concord's most enterprising citi-
zens. He was united in marriage. May 12, 1881, to
Elva, daughter of Zus \Voodin, of Concord township.
One child has been born to this union, Thayer. Mr.
McCray is a Republican.

Joliti R. Black (deceased) was the first white
child born in Waterford. He was born September 28,
1795, in the old block-house, was reared and educated
in LeBoeuf township, and followed farming until his
death, which occurred February 13, 1865. He was
united in marriage to Miss Abigail, daughter of John
and Mary Willey. Six children were born to this
union, namely: Wilson (deceased), James, Matthew,
Jane, Charles (deceased) and Mary. Matthew was
born in LeBceuf township, was reared in his native
place, educated in the public schools and has always
followed farming. He was married to Miss Adelia,
daughter of Levi and Isabella Waldron, of LeBoeuf
township. Five children were born to this union:
Alice D., wife of Monroe Gray; Forrest; Lee; Vernie
A., now wife of D. W. Boyd, of Rockdale, Crawford
county. Pa., and John F. The last named was born
May 30, 1866, in LeBoeuf township, was educated in
the public schools of his native place and the Water-
ford Academy, and, in 1889, entered the Chamberlain
Institute at Randolph, N. Y., from which he was
graduated with honors in the class of 1891. He then
spent one year teaching, and, in 1892, entered the
Methodist Episcopal ministry. He was given the
Corry and Elgin charge, and has four appointments
to fill. Mr. Black is a young man of unusual ability,
and already stands high in his chosen calling. He
was united in marriage November 24, 1892, to Miss
Lulu E., daughter of Bornt and Mattie (Range) Mc-
Cray, of LeBosuf township. Mr. Black is a vigorous
advocate of temperance and votes the Prohibition
ticket; he is a member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows.

L. O. Lindsey, farmer. Concord township, Corry
postoffice, is a native of Stockton, Chautauqua county,
N. Y., and was born March 16, 1831. He is a son of
Eliakim and Rachel (Scofield) Lindsey. He was
educated in the common schools of Stockton and at
the age of 22 years settled in Concord township, which
was then, a dense wilderness in many portions. In
1857 he was married in Union township to Miss Julia
A. Triscuitt, of Wayne township, who was born in
1832. To this union there have been born five chil-
dren, as follows: Rachel S., Clarence Orson, Clifton
Levi, Lonie May, wife of Ellis Jewell, of Warren
county, and Bertie Julian. With the exception of one
year, Mr. Lindsey has been a resident of Concord
township, Erie county. Pa., since 1857, and now owns
600 acres of land in the southeast part of Concord
township, upon which was conducted an extensive
lumber and milling business for some ten years. He




^^^^.



AND mSTORIGAL REFERENCE BOOE: OF ERIE COUHTY.



765



is one of the substantial citizens of the township, and
a member of the church, and in politics is a Democrat.

Henry A. Skinner, retired soldier, was born at
Wetherfield, Wyoming county, N. Y., October 27,
1840, and is the fifth in a family of seven children of
Abbott and Marilla (Barber) Skinner, natives of Wash-
ington county, New York. The family came to Watts-
burg in 1846, where he followed the painter's trade
until his death, which occurred February 22, 1882.
Henry A. was reared and educated in Wattsburg and
followed the painter's trade until 1861, when he
enlisted in Co. K, 83d P. V. I., under Captain T. M.
Austin. His first experience of war life was at the
battle of Hanover Court House, fought May 27, 1862;
Gaines Mills, June 27, 1862. At the last named
battle, about four o'clock in the afternoon, while the
83d regiment was engaged in the hottest part of the
battle field, Mr. Skinner was seriously wounded,
having his left arm shot off near the shoulder and
receiving a gunshot wound through the left side,
which broke and badly shattered \o\ir ribs. In this
very serious condition he was taken prisoner and cast
into Libby prison, where for nineteen days he under-
went all the tortures produced by his almost fatal
wounds, combined with the horrors of the prison
itself, which killed many strong men. On July 25,
1862, he was exchanged and immediately sent to the
Sixth and Master Street Hospital, Philadelphia, where
he remained until December 15, when he was dis-
charged. He re-enlisted in the 60th Co., Veteran
Reserve Corps, July 6, 1863, and served until April 15,
1865, when he was, by his own request, mustered out
of the service. Mr. Skinner was a brave soldier and
was ever ready for any call to duty. He sacrificed his
health and underwent much suffering that his country
might endure. He was united in marriage November
10, 1870, to Miss Angeline S., daughter of J. Elliot
Rathbun, of Amity, Pa. To this union have been born
four children, namely: West B. H., Alford, Elmer E.
and Pearl H. In politics Mr. Skinner has always
been a Republican, and is a member of the I. O. of
O. V. He is also a member of the Methodist Epis-
copal Church.

G. O. Akam, farmer, Corry postoffice, Concord
township, is a native of Erie coimty. He is a son of
Johnson Akam, a native of England, who came to
Erie county at the age of 11 years, and settled on a
farm, a part of which is now owned by Mr. Akam,
about the year of 1850. He was a prosperous, ener-
getic farmer, and died in August, 1873, at the age of
74 years. His widow, whose name was Melissia Jas-
kins, died in April, 1888. To this union were born six
children: Richard, who died from wounds received in
the late war; Mary, wife of M. V. B. Davis; Robert,
Annie (deceased), Belinda, and George. Johnson
Akam, besides engaging in farming, was interested in
other enterprises. For four years he was proprietor of
a hotel at Columbus, Warren county. Pa.; for two
years ran a steamer on Chautauqua Lake, and after-
wars ran a grocery store in the city of Corry. His va-
rious undertakings proved successful. Beginning
with one dollar in cash, he left to his posterity a com-
fortable fortune. His father was John Akam, who
died in 1775, at the age of 92 years. G. O. Akam was
married in 1880, to Emma J. Tanner. Their children
are: Richard, Henry J., Jessie May, William P., and



Nettie Eunice. Mr. Aks



Iways been a resident



of the township, with the exception of two years spent
in the State of Nebraska. He is a member of the
Patrons of Husbandry," and is a progressive citizen.

O. M. Chase, farmer. Concord township, Corry
postoffice, was born October 15, 1839, son of John B.
and OrriU (Wheeler) Chase, was born in Amsterdam,
Montgomery county, N. Y., December 29, 1801, son of
Samuel and Susanna (Chase) Chase, natives of Rhode
Island, and early settlers of Amsterdam, going there
in 1814. He belonged to a family of eight children,
and obtained his education at the common schools,
and then learned a trade at which he worked five
years. He was married in DeRuyter, Madison county,
N. Y., January 18, 1827, to Orrill Wheeler, who was
born at Chesterfield county. New Hampshire, March,
1804, daughter of Benjamin (Holmes) Wheeler, natives
of the Eastern States, and parents of nine children.
Mr. Chase purchased the land, where O. M. Chase now
resides, of the Holland Land Company, and was a
prominent man of his day and generation, having
held several offices of trust and responsibility. He
died in 1892. Mr. Chase was the sixth child of a
family of seven children, as follows: Eliza, George W.,
Mary, Almira, Ambrosia, O. M. and Francis. He was
married in 1863, to Jennette, daughter of Lehman
Wellman, of Concord township. Their children are:
Omar W., who died in 1885, at the age of 20 years;
Jennie May, who died in 1885, at the age of 18 years;
Maggie, wife of G. C. McCray and John L. Mr.
Chase was born and reared in the township in which
he now resides, and is identified among the leading
citizens of Concord township. He is a member of the
P. of H., and has held the offices of school director
and road commissioner several terms.

William Cady, retired farmer. Concord township,
postoffice Corry, was born July 23, 1817. He was a
son of William and Margaret Cady, natives of Ver-
mont, the" former of whom died in 1848, at the age of
62 years, and the latter followed the same vear, at the
age of 59 years. Their .iiil.Irm w, re' r..lly (de-
ceased), John (deceased), Joil (ill ( , ,iM,l !, 1 1. milt (de-
ceased), Lina (deceased), 1, ,1111,1 idi 1 r,i^< il i, ( iinrt;e
(deceased), Mary (deceased), WiIImui ami Alfred.
William Cady, sr., was a veteran of the war of 1812.
In 1841, William Cady, jr., was married to Catherine
Stultz, who died September 8, 1877. She was a daugh-
ter of Jacob Stultz, and was born in Warren county,
Pennsylvania. Their children are: Mary, wife of
David Cook, of Corry, and Elizabeth, wife of George
W. Hicks, of Rochester. Mr. Cady now resides with
his daughter, Mary, wife of David Cook, who was
married in March, 1868; Mr. Cook was born in 1839,
and has been a life long resident of Concord.

Alfred Fralick, a native of Montgomery county,
New York, born December 24, lcS30, is a son of Abra-
ham F. and Elizabeth (Houke) Fralick, natives of
Montgomery county. New York; the former was born
in 1790 and the latter in 1805. They were married in
1831, and settled in Concord township in 1837. He
died October 26, 1877, she surviving him until March
14, 1893. Their children were as follows: John,
Francis, Lucinda, wife of Alfred Davis; Nancy, wife
of Moses Higgins; Barbara, wife of Hiram Blakeslee;
Josiah, Catherine, wife of Nathan Whiting; James,



766



NS!LSON-S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



Ephraim, Alfred, Margaret Eliza, wife of James
Griffes; Marietta, wife of Alonzo White, and Walter,
living on the old homestead. J. H. Moffatt, of Con-
cord, was born in Hampshire county, Massachusetts,
September 9, 1816. He is the son of Alfred and Polly
(Edson) Moffatt. He lived in Enfield to the age of 22
years, and began work as a joiner at the age of 13
years, which business he has since principally, fol-
lowed. He has built many of the best houses in Con-
cord. He built in 1852 a house for S. Steward, then
county commissioner, and now at the age of 80 does
not use glasses. At the age of 22 he moved to Chau-
tauqua county. New York." In January, 1860, he came
to Concord and bought a farm in the woods. Mr.
Moffatt was married November 19, 1842, to Malinda
Lindsley, of Augusta, Oneida county, N. Y., who died
March 4, 1893, aged 77 years and 15 days, leaving a
family of six daughters and two sons. The daughters
all married well-to-do farmers. Mr. Moffatt's living
descendants number fifty: Eight children, thirty-six
grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. The
names of the children are: Polly, wife of Alfred Fra-
lick, of Concord; Sarah A., wife of Chauncey Pier, of
Concord; Malinda H., wife of Jothan Winer, of Bliss-
field, Mich.; Emily D., wife of C. L. Hall, of Concord;
Harriet E., wife of Ephraim Blakeslee, of Greenfield;
Lucy J., wife of W. V. Gates, of Concord; Myron A.,
lives in Wayne; Willis E., lives on the old homestead
in Concord. Three have died: James L., aged 30
years; Electo L., aged 14 years and 6 months; Marion
E., aged 5.

John G. Washington, farmer, Corry postofifice.
Concord township, was born in Hampshire county.
West Virginia, in 1833, and reared near Tidioute,
Warren county, Pa. He is a son of Jesse and Hannah
(Fairfax) Washington. The latter died in 1852. John
served as a private in Co. E, 8th U. S. colored regi-
ment, under Col. Fribley. After the war he returned
to Concord township, where he has lived ever since.

Eugene M. Miller, farmer, postoffice Corry, was
born in Concord township in 1865, and is the youngest
son of James B. and Lucy (Brown) Miller. Their fam-
ily is as follows: Alice, wife of James L. West; Min-
nie, widow of Arthur McCray, and Eugene M. Mr.
Miller was married in 1892 to Minnie, daughter of
Hoyt Olmstead. They have one child, Ivan. James
B. Miller, father of Eugene, was second child of a
family of five children, as follows: Nancy, wife of E.
Culver; James B., Preston A., Albert C, Sarah, wife of
D. W. Akin, and George D. Miller. Mrs. Miller is a
daughter of Capt. Josiah Brown. Following are his
children: Lorenzo, Lucy, Eugene, Clark, Sylvania
(wife of E. M. Riddle), Harriet (wife of T. H. Will-
oughby), Josephine (deceased) and Elber J. ISrown.
Eugene M. Miller is a member of the Maccabees; he is
a progressive farmer, and purchased his present farm
of fifty-seven acres, near the northeast corner of Con-
cord township, in 1894.

John Wagner, farmer, Corry postoffice, Concord
township, is the son of Michael Wagner, a native of
Germany, who came to America in 1845. His mother
was Catherine (Smoth) Wagner, who died in her native
country some forty years ago. John Wagner was mar-
ried in 1849 to Catherine Auburn, stepdaughter of
Captain Austen Auburn. Their children are: Lewis,



Joseph, Michael, Stacy, Anna, wife of Martin Cassidy,
and Mary. Mr. Wagner started in life upon the farm
which he now occupies, some forty years ago, and
without a dollar to purchase land. He has gained a
comfortable living through life and has gained a com-
petency. He is a member of the German Catholic
Church and a valued citizen.

A. L. Wales, farmer. Concord township, postoffice
Corry, Pa., was born in Crawford county, Pennsyl-
vania, in 1854, and is a son of J. C. Wales, of Corry,
who came to Erie county from Crawford county in
1878. Mr. Wales is one of a family of five children, as
follows: Alma E., twin sister of Mr. Wales, a teacher
in the Brooklyn high school; Maria (deceased), wife of
David Jones; Lucas, civil engineer, and Minnie L.,
wife of Arthur B. Speer, paying teller in a bank at
Oberlin, Ohio. In 1875 Mr. Wales was married to Ade-
laid, daughter of Garrett Davidson, of Union City,
who for some time resided in Meadville, Crawford
county, and was afterward wounded and taken pris-
oner at the battle of the Wilderness and died from the
effects August 1, 1864. The children of Mr. and Mrs.
Wales are Edna E. and Charles C. Wales. Mr.
Wales resides on and manages his farm of 126 acres, in
Concord township, superintends his father's creamery
in Corry and is a citizen of influence and worth. He is
a member of the State Board of Agriculture and a
Royal Templar.

Manley Crosby, attorney at law, Corry, Pa., born
in Franklinville, N. Y., March 12, 1834, is a son of
Alanson and Cornelia (Wright) Crosby, the former a
native of New York, the latter of Connecticut, and both
of English descent. Alanson Crosby was an architect
in early life and later a farmer. Manley obtained his
education m the public schools of New York State and
the State Normal School at Albany, N. Y., graduating
in 1854. He then attended the John W. Fowler law
school at Poughkeepsie, graduating in 1868, and, after
serving a clerkship of one year in the office of Judge
David H. Bolles, of Ellicottville, N. Y., he was admitted
to the bar at Buffalo, N. Y., May, 1869. He then
formed a law partnership with his preceptor. Judge
Bolles, of Ellicottville, where he practiced until 1864.
In 1865 he came to Corry and and acted as attorney for
the Oil Creek R. R. for fifteen years, and carried on an
extensive law practice. In 1870 Hon. W. W. Brown be-
came his partner, continuing as such for eight years.
In 1878 Mr. Brown was elected to Congress from his
district, and Mr. Crosby continued the practice alone
to the present time. He was married in 1863 to Fran-
cis S., youngest daughter of Stanley N. Clarke, of
Ellicottville, N. Y., agent for the Holland Land Com-
pany, member of Congress from the State of New
York in 1840, who died in 1860. To this union have
been born: Clark (died in 1876, aged 13 years), Walter
Hull, theatrical man and actor; William G., attorney,
Erie, Pa., Theodore S. and Alanson, student. Mr.
Crosby served two terms as mayor of Corry. In 1892
the National Bank of Corry was organized, and he
was elected president. He is a member of the Masonic
fraternity, a past master of Nero Lodge and Clarence
Commandery of Corry. Mrs. Manley Crosby died De-
cember 15, 1895.

William C. Plumb, editor and publisher of the
Daily Flyer and Weekly Herald, Corry, Pa., was born
in Bennington, Vt., October 25, 1848, where he served



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE C0U2vty.



767



an apprenticeship of three years at the printer's trade.
On August 18, 1864, before he was 16 years old, he de-
livered the oration at the celebration of the battle of
Bennington, which attracted considerable attention.
He was employed with the Calhoun Printing Company
of Hartford, Conn., and with Weed, Parsons & Co. at
Albany, N. Y.; was correspondent for the New York
Tribiint and other papers, visiting all the battlefields
and places of interest in the South in 1866-9. Bought
an interest in the Watertown (N. Y.) Post In 1870, and
continued editor and part owner until 1876. From 1877
to 1879 he was news manager and editor of the Phil-
adelphia Niiftti American and editorial writer on the
Phila(ltl|.hia rr< xs. In 1880-3 he was connected with
the Pittsburg Dispatch and the Pittsburg Commercial-
Oiizi'ttc as news editor and editorial writer. In 1885
he started the Corry Daili/ Flyer, in 1887 bought the
Corry Weekly Herald, consolidated the two papers, and
has since conducted them. Mr. Plumb belongs to one
of the oldest families in America. Very few, if any
trace their ancestry as far back. The Plumbs were
Normans, and the family record goes back in Nor-
mandy to the year 1180 at least, on the great roll, and
in England to 1240. The first Plumb in America came
from England in 1635 and settled in Wethersfield,
Conn. He was a member of the court at Hartford in
1636. Two brothers of the first Plumb followed from
Essex county, England. They were mariners and
ship owners at New London, Conn. Forty names of
descendants of these brothers are upon the muster
rolls of Revolutionary soldiers from New England,
New York and New Jersey. Mr. Plumb was married
in Ellenville, N. Y., in 1880, to Miss Salice Davenport,
of Meadville, Pa. She died in 1890, leaving one child,
Helen L. Mr. Plumb is an earnest advocate of the
right, and is always ready to use his pen in the fur-
therance of Justice to his fellow-men and for the bet-
terment of society. He has a keen sense of the right
and is always the friend of the oppressed.

C. L. Covell, attorney at law, Corry, Pa., born in
Chautauqua county. New York, May 3, 1849, son of W.
W. and Ellen E. (Barber) Covell, both natives of the
Empire State. When C. L. was 5 years old his par-
ents moved to Pennsylvania and took up their abode
in Concord township, Erie county, about one mile
south of Corry. Here they bought a farm, where they
still reside. Mr. Covell was reared on the farm, and
worked with his father at the carpenter's trade. He
received his education in the common schools and
Corry high school. As his parents were people of
humble means, he was obliged to gain an education
chiefly by his own efforts. Early in life he decided to
become a lawyer, and to that end he centered all his
energies until he succeeded. In 1871 he commenced
reading law in the office of Hon. C. O. Bowman, in
Corry, and, March 27, 1873, was admitted to the Erie
county bar, and, subsequently, to practice in several
adjoining counties and in the Supreme Court of the
State, also the several Federal courts. Upon his
admission to the bar, he immediately engaged in prac-
tice in Corry. As a lawyer, he is well known through-
out this section as a discreet and judicious adviser, and
as an able and fearless advocate. Mr. Covell was
married March 19, 1873, to Miss Louise Rathbun, of
Eden Center, Erie county, N. Y. To this union have
been born two children: Alvah W. and Flora E.,
both students in the Corry high school. Mr. Covell is



a member of the K. of P., and has been a representa-
tive to the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania seven years;
he is also a member of the K. O. T. M., of which he is
senior past great commander of the Great Camp of
Pennsvlvnnia, and he ri'presented Pennsylvania as
Supr.-nii- dclrLr.it.' t.. thr Supreme Tent of the World
at Pint lliii(.n, Mull., Ill May, 1896; is a member of
the Wiioilim-ii ol the Wiirld. He has been a member
of the Corry tire department seventeen years, and has
been chief engineer one year; has been councilman,
and is a member of the school board, and has been
city attorney seven years. He is a Democrat.

Dr. Henry Oliti Mackres, Corry, Pa., born in
Calais, Vt., December 16, 1824, .son of Joshua and
Esther (Cummings) Mackres, and grandson of Samuel
Mackres, one of the party who tlinw ililiiii.in. He is of
Scotch-Irish descent, his parenl.s being natives of New
Hampshire. When he was 9 years old his father
removed to Chautauqua county, N. Y., and settled on
a piece of wild land, which the boy assisted him to
clear and cultivate during the summer months and
attended the district schools during the winter; later
he attended select school, and, at the age of 18, com-
menced teaching school to acquire the means to carry
him through the study of medicine. In 1844 he began
his medical studies with Dr. Waterman Ellsworth,
and later continued them with Dr. Isaac Hill, of Ran-
dolph, N. Y. His course of study embraced two
courses of lectures at Cleveland, Ohio, one at the
Eclectic Institute, of Randolph, N. Y.; one at Buffalo,
N. Y., and a post-graduate course at Chicago, 111. He
received his degree of M. D. both at the Eclectic
Institute and at Buffalo, N. Y. He commenced the
practice of medicine at Clymer, N. Y., in 1849, and
continued a successful practice until 1867, when he
removed to Corry, where he practiced in partnership
with the late D. B. E. Phelps for a year and a half.
In the spring of 1872 he took as a partner the late Dr.
A. S. Bonsteel, and continued the partnership until
the spring of 1882— ten years. Wishing to retire from
active practice, he formed a iiartnrrslii|i with Dr. H.
W. Thayer, in 1888, which was .■ontiniu-d until .\pril,
1890, since which he has limited his practice mainly to
office business, chronic diseases and consultations.
He is a member of the Erie County Medical Society,
of which he was censor in 1875 and president in 1877.
He is also a member of the Pennsylvania State Med-
ical Society and the American Medical Association.
He is a member of the Masonic order, I. O. O. F. and
the A. O. U. W. In politics he is a Democrat, and
held the office of postmaster during the administra-
tions of Presidents Pierce and Buchanan, in Clymer,
N. Y. Dr. Mackres married in May, 1850, Artemilia,
daughter of Jabes Johnson, one of the early settlers of
Warren county, Pennsylvania. To this union have
been born: Stella A., wife of F. F. Root, a merchant
of Kinsman, Ohio; Mary E., wife of W. E. Lewis, a
resident of Corry, and James H., a locomotive engineer,
in the employ of the W. N. Y. & P. R. R. He has a
fine office at No. 61 North Center street; residence, 44
Franklin street. Although the doctor has been
afflicted with pulmonary emphysema since early child-
hood, he has by his own exertions and industry
acquired his education, and has been in active practice
nearly forty-seven years.



768



NELSOIf'8 BIOORAPHIGAL DICTIONARY



Thomas A. Edwards, Corry, Pa., more familiarly
known as " Colonel Edwards," is one of the most en-
terprising business men of Erie county. He is a na-
tive of Ulster county, New York, and was born July
21, 1832. He is a son of William and Catherine Amelia
(Lewis) Edwards, both deceased. In the family there
were two children, Thomas A. and Alfred, a traveling
salesman. Thomas A. was reared on a farm and re-
ceived his education in the public scools of New
York State, and when 17 years of age went to sea, a
life more fitting to the adventurous temperament which
has more or less marked his life from boyhood to with-
in the last few years. He remained in the employ of
the Old Collins Steamship Line about three years, when



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 152 of 192)