Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 153 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 153 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he decided to give up the life of a mariner. He then
went into the show business at New Orleans, La., as
business manager for the well-known showmen, Spauld-
ing & Rogers, which position he held until 1857, when
he resigned to join the expedition under General Al-
bert Sidney Johnston against the Mormons. He ac-
companied it across the plains and served as assistant
wagon-master. In 1858-9 he was at Pike's Peak dur-
ing the gold excitement, and later visited various parts
of the country. When the great conflict opened be-
tween the loyal North and secession, Mr. Edwards
was in Memphis, Tenn., in the employ of the Memphis
Transportation Company. He was immediately em-
ployed in the secret service of the United States. In
this capacity he was engaged in the hazardous business
of passing the lines of the enemy, locating their posi-
tion, determining their strength, and returning with re-
ports. While serving at the blockade of Wilmington,
N. C, he was captured and imprisoned, but escaped
and made his way to the union blockading squadron,
where he was once more safe from the hand of hostile
vengeance. He was then sent to Washington and re-
mained in the secret service until after the battle ai
Gettysburg. In the following October, he joined
General Fred Steele in Little Rock, Ark., under whom
he served as a scout until the close of the war. In
1866 he went to Oregon and entered the United States
service under General Crook in the Snake Indian war
as secret bearer of dispatches, etc. Here he met Don-
ald McKay, that prince of Indian scouts and fighters.
A very warm friendship sprang up between them,
which lasted until the death of Donald in the fall of
1894. In 1874 he went to Europe and took with him
a band of red men from the Rocky Mountains, who
were known as the Warm Spring Indian Scouts, that
famous band who, under the command of the bold
Donald McKay, defeated the treacherous Modocs,
under Captain Jack, and captured the latter. Mr. Ed-
wards returned from Europe in 1876 with his exhibition
Indians and had them in Philadelphia during the Cen-
tennial in 1876. In the fall of that year he organized the
Oregon Indian Medicine Company, and had head-
quarters in Pittsburg until 1883, when he located in
Corry, where he now resides and carries on his ex-
tensive medicine works, manufacturing several reme-
dies that are well known throughout the country for
their efficacy. He has thirty-seven companies on the
road selling and introducing his medicines. The
"Colonel" was married in 1870 to Miss Elizabeth
Kelly, of Erie, Pa. To them have been born one
child, Clarion D. He is a member of the Elks, and
is at present a member of the city council. Mr. Ed-
wards is a firm adherent to the principles of free
trade.



C. P. Rogers, jr., attorney at law, Corry, Pa.,
born in Erie, Pa., March 25, 1869, is a son of Col. C. H.
and Lillie (Speel) Rogers, the former a native of Erie
county, and the latter of Dauphin county, Pennsyl-
vania. When C. P. was about 8 years old his parents
removed to Corry, where he has since resided. He
was educated in the common schools and Corry high
school, where he was graduated in the class of 1884.
The following year he entered Lehigh University,
where he remained two years, when he commenced
reading law in the office of Hon. C. O. Bowman (de-
ceased) of Corry. He was admitted to practice in the
several courts of Erie county in September, 1890, to
the Supreme court of Pennsylvania in April, 1893, and
to the Federal courts in July, 1894. He entered
into a partnership in 1890 with Hon. A. F. Bole, and
continued with him to the time of Mr. Bole's death, in
October, 1891. He then continued the practice alone,
and now has his office in the Wright block. Mr. Rogers
is a member of the K. of P., F. & A. M., and has been
city clerk four terms, is a member of the school board,
and is a Republican.

Joseph A. Pais, editor of the Corry Telegraph,
Corry, was born in Bristol, England, April 2, 1828.
His father was a medical practitioner and educational
professor at one time, and in the latter years of his life
kept a stationery store and printing office in Dartford,
county of Kent, E igland. Mr. Pain received a first-
class education, finishing at Westminster College. Be-
ing frustrated by his father in his desire to become a
sailor, Mr. Pain left home in 1848 and came to Quebec,
Canada. After a few months, he went to Erie county,
New York, a penniless lad. Desiring to return to
England, he started at once for New York, afoot, but
at Auburn, N. Y., he found work in the Auburn Daily
Advertiser office, where he obtained a thorough knowl-
edge of the practical part of the printer's business.
From Auburn, he went to Wolcott, Wayne county, N.
Y., and published the Banner. Thence he found his
way to Clyde, N. Y., with $3.05 in his pocket (all his
worldly possessions), and took the material of a de-
funct paper and published a weekly paper, commenc-
ing March, 1850. On April 29, that year, Mr. Pain
married Emily M. Smith, of Auburn, N. Y., who was a
true helpmate to him, sharing his fortunes till May 30,
1883, when she departed this life, leaving behind four
children. In 1865, Mr. Pain sold out his establish-
ment in Clyde, and being attracted to the oil regions,
bought a half interest in the Corry Telegraph, which
had broken down under five diflferent owners, and has
continued its publication nineteen successive years.
The Corry Telegraph was a daily and weekly sheet
when Mr. Pain purchased his interest. After a few
months, he bought out his partner, and in 1866 stopped
the daily and continued the weekly, until the fall of
1868, when he again started a daily, the Corry Daily
Blade, commencing it small, but continuing to enlarge
till it became a seven-column four-page paper. In
1872, commercial depression compelled the stoppage
of the Daily Blade, and Mr. Pain thereafter has given
his entire attention to the Weekly Telegraph and his
large job printing establishment. Our subject is now
in his 56th year, active and energetic. He was assist-
ant assessor of internal revenue for over a year; was
elected a member of the common council of the city
of Corry in 1867; school director in 1878, and city clerk
for one term. He is an inveterate worker, liberal in



AND EI8T0BIOAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



769



his opinions, a forcible writer and a staunch friend. Is
P. G. in the I. O. O. F.; P. M. W. in the A. O. U. W.;
first P. G. D. of Pennsylvania of the K. of H., and an
ex-member of the supreme lodge of the same order;
P. H. C. R. of I. O. F.; P. G. P. and member of the
committee on secret work of the supreme lodge of the
K. and L. of H.; P. S. of I. O. R. M. By many of these
Mr. Pain has been presented with badges and regalia
of value, among which is a SlOO gold medal by the K.
of H., commemorating his 50th birthday, and a beau-
tiful gold-headed cane by the grand lodge of Pennsyl-
vania K. of H. In politics, Mr. Pain is a Republican,
and has taken a part in all the campaigns. In the
Greeley campaign he saved the Corry district to the
Republican party.

M. Mandeville, (deceased), Corry, Pa., born in Ad-
dison, Steuben county, N. Y., June 2, 1832, was a son of
Homer and Abigail (Manley) Mandeville, the former
a native of South Headly, Mass., and the latter of
Greene, Shenango county, X. Y., and of New England
origin. The former died' in 1889, aged 94 years, and
the latter in 1891, aged 84. M. Mandeville was reared
and educated in Steuben county. New York. When a
young man he was engaged at farming and lumber-
mg with his father in the neighborhood bf Addison.
In 1867 he went to McKean county, Pennsylvania, in
the employ of the Tilben Lumber Company, and re-
mained in their employ for five years. In 1862 he
came to Corry, and entered the employ of the A. &
G. W. R. R. Company, m constructing that road, as
carpenter. In July of the same year he resigned, and
entered the employ of the Oil Creek R. R., remaining
in the employ of that road until the fall of 1864, when
he resigned to take charge of the carpenter work for
the Oil Creek Petroleum Company. After a year of
this service he engaged in contracting for the drilling
of oil wells a short time, and then engaged in stock
raising and looking after the land of an oil company
until 1867, when he went to Pleasantville, Pa., and en-
gaged in the flour and feed business for a year; during
the Shamburg oil excitement he went to Miller farm,
and was engaged in the same business, together with
building supplies, for two and a half years, and went
to Foxburg in the same business, and remained there
about nine years. He then went to Michigan on ac-
count of ill health, and remained about one year,
when he returned to Pennsylvania, and was promoter
of the Foxburg and Clarion R. R., and later this road
was combined with the Emlenton, Shippenville and
Clarion R. R., and a charter for a road from Edenburg
to Kane was obtained, under the name of the Pitts-
burg, Bradford and Buffalo R.R.,and Mr. Mandeville
was made president of it in 1880. He resigned in
January, 1882, and with a Mr. Hall purchased a large
tract of oil land in Bradford. Later Mr. Mandeville
and Mr. Whitney, of Olean, built a hub factory at
Marionville, Pa., which they operated in partnership
until 1885, when it was destroyed by fire. Since that
time he has been interested in the lumber business in
Elk county, Pennsylvania, as president and manager
of the Cherry Ridge Lumber Company, and has car-
ried on a very extensive and lucrative lumber industry.
He was married December 23, 1866, to Olive M.,
daughter of David Nash, of Concord township, Erie
county. To this union were born six children: Bell,
James (deceased), Marion, in Lavery; J. Coyle, of Cor-
ry; Mattie (deceased), and Mary. He is one of the di-



rectors of the Foxburg National Bank, is a member of
the Masonic order, and politicially is a Republican.
Mr. Mandeville was a business man of the highest
qualifications, and has an unimpeachable reputation
for uprightness and honesty, and always proved him-
self to be a cautious and successful financier and
manager. He died October 31, 1894.

B. H. Phelps, physician and surgeon, Corry, Pa.,
born March 16, 1844, in Williamsfield, Ashtabula
county, Ohio, is a son of Truman and Caroline (Gard-
ner) Phelps, the former a native of Connecticut, and
the latter of Massachusetts. The family settled in
Ohio in 1833 and engaged in farming. There were
seven children: Norris T., Kingsville, Ohio; Obed K.,
Farmington, Ohio; B. H., Charles H., Terre Haute,
Ind.; Addison B., Cleveland, Oliiu; Lyman C.,Andover,
Ohio, and Sophia, Mrs. Chaii.s Tuttle, Andover, Ohio.
The parents now reside at .\iido\ 1 r, the father aged 82
years and the mother 80 years of age. B. H. Phelps'
early education was obtained in his native county and
subsequently he attended the Grand River Institute,
Austinburg, Ohio, for about two years. He was grad-
uated from the Kingsville Institute, Ohio, June 14,
1867, and then attended tin Clr\(land Medical Col-
lege, where he recei\((l tln' dr-ia .вЦ† M. D. in February,
1871. He was a membii .if thr 'JUth O. V. I. from the
fall of 1861 to the spring of li'-iB;3, in the capacity of
musician. The doctor was twice married: In 1870,
to Philena, daughter of Jacob Greenlee, of Amboy,
Ohio. By this union there was one child, T. Otis,
jeweler, Corry, Pa. Mrs. Phelps died in 1878, and
April 16, 1879, he was united in marriage to Alice C,
daughter of Rev. J. H. Dungan, a retired Methodist
minister of Orwell, Ohio. They have one child, J.
Paul, at home. Dr. Phelps is a member of the
Masonic order, and politically is a Republican. He
was a member of the board of pension examiners
about two years. The family are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a choir leader
in that organization in Corry. He has been engaged
in general practice. In 1880 he settled in Corry. He
has always evinced a talent for music, and is a mem-
ber of the school board.

J. S. Whiteley, physician and surgeon, Corry, Pa.,
born in Red House, Cattaragus county, N. Y., in 1856,
is a son of Jonathan and Anna Whiteley. The former
was a practicing physician in Oil City, Pa., where he
died in 1891, and the latter died in 1877. J. S. White-
ley was graduated from the Cleveland Hospital and
Medical College in the class of 1877, and immediately
engaged in practice with his father in Oil City, and in
1883 went to Warrensville, Ohio, nine miles from
Cleveland, and engaged in the practice of his profes-
sion and remained there until 1889, when he returned
to Oil City, and after remaining a short time came to
Corry, where he has since been engaged in a success-
ful practice. The doctor was married in 1876 to
Lillian Gibbs, of Oil City. To them were born five
children: Lillie A., Charles B., Frank G., Howard
and Allie B. Mrs. Whitely died in February, 1893,
and the doctor afterward married Miss Louise A.
Brightman, of Corry. He is a member of the K. of P.
and Lodge 3, Royal Templars of Temperance, of
which he is medical examiner. He is a Republican.

M. Michels (deceased), clothier and furni-sher,
Corry, Pa., born February 2, 1841, at Rhine Bella, Ger-



770



NELSON'S BIOGBAPEICAL DICTIONARY



many. He was educated in his native land, and when
12 years of age his parents died. He immediately
came to America and settled in New York city, where
he remained until 1865 and learned the tailor's trade,
and also worked at the clothier's business. In 1865 he
came to Corry and engaged in the clothing and gen-
tlemen's furnishing goods business and followed it up
to the time of his death, September 22, 1895. Mr.
Michels was twice married, first to MissSeigel, of New
York city, by whom he has one child living, Moses,
who is engaged in the merchant tailoring business in
New York city. Mrs. Michels died in 1872, and ten
years later he married Miss Goldsmith, of New York
city. To them have been born two children, one of
whom is living, Gussie, at home. Mr. Michels was a
member of the I. O. O. F., and had passed all the chairs,
both in the subordinate lodge and the Encampment.
He was a member of five secret organizations. Mr.
Michels was an active business man. He and his wife
were members of the Temple, No. 76 Fifth avenue,
New York.

John D. Murray, of the firm of Murray & Co.,
wholesale and retail grocers. No. 39 North Center
street, Corry, Pa., wasljorn in Petersboro, Ontario, Au-
gust 24, 1863. He is a son of James and Bridget (Lon-
dergan) Murray, natives of Ireland, the former now a
resident of Corry, the latter deceased. James Murray
came to Corry when John D. was about six months old
and has since lived there. John was educated in the
parochial schools of Corry, and in 1885 became a mem-
ber of the firm of Murray & Lynch, grocers, of Corry,
Pa. They continued business but a short time when
Mr. Murray sold out to his partner and engaged in the
same business with T. A. Blair under the firm name of
Murray & Blair, which continued to do business for
three years when they dissolved partnership and Mr.
Murray has since been the senior member of the firm.
He was married October 11, 1893, to Miss Mary E.
Lyons, of Corry. Mr. Murray has been elected coun-
cilman, which office he still holds. Politically he is a
Democrat.

S. E. KIncald, Corry, Pa., was born July 16, 1837,
in Wayne township, Erie county, Pa., son of John and
Elizabeth (Smith) Kincaid (both deceased), the former
from Carlisle, Pa., and the latter a native of Erie
county. John Kincaid was born March 25, 1791, and
came to Erie county with his parents when 13 years
old, the family settling in Wayne township. John's
father served in the war of 1812; his mother was a
native of Erie county and a daughter of Samuel Smith,
a native of Ireland, who was the first settler in Wayne
township. She was born March 29, 1799. They both
spent their lives in Wayne township, where the father
died in February, 1876, and the mother followed in
September, 1879. The father was a farmer by occu-
pation and was appointed by the court to lay out
roads. Mr. and Mrs. John Kincaid reared a family of
six children: Jane M. and Jessie Lyons (both
deceased); William, of Wayne township, born in 1821;
Margaret, Mrs. Lyman Thomas, of Clymer, N. Y.;
John, Nebraska; Samuel E. and Henry (deceased).
Samuel E. Kincaid was educated in the public schools
and Waterford Academy. He commenced life as a
farmer and dairyman, and during the early part of the
war acted as enrolling officer. When 21 years old he
was elected constable of Wayne township; he served



as assessor two terms, school director five terms,
justice of the peace two terms. In 1876 he was elected
to the Legislature, and re-elected in 1878. During his
first term he was secretary of the agricultural com-
mittee, and the last term served as chairman, and was
the recipient of a gold-headed cane at the hands of his
colleagues as a token of their appreciation. Mr. Kin-
caid was a member of the Corry city council one term,
and is now an acting justice of the peace. He is
president of the Northwestern Agricultural Society,
and was one of the originators of that association.
He is also a director and a member of the executive
committee of the Harbor Creek Insurance Company;
is a director of the National B8nk of Corry; is sales-
man for the Wayne Cheese Factory. Mr. Kincaid
was united in marriage in 1858 to Miss Escula Ann
Yeager, who died shortly after. He married Miss
Dora, daughter of Ira Wilkinson, of Amity township,
August 17, 1870, and to this union have been born six
children: Clara Blanche (died in infancy^; Elmer
Lincoln, a graduate of the Corry high school, now
postal clerk on the W. N. Y. & Pa. R. R.: Gerry
Thaddeus, student in Allegheny College; Samuel
Blaine, student; Don Wilkinson and John Archibald
(deceased). Mr. Kincaid has resided in the city of
Corry since -1890, at 133 North Center street, where he
has a handsome residence.

Dr. F. A. Beebe, Corry, Pa., was born in Corry
July 30, 1854, son of Lewis A. and Elizabeth (McCray)
Beebe, was reared in Corry and received his early
education there, and took a course of lectures in
Clifton Liberal Institute. At the age of 18 he began
reading medicine under Dr. C. B. Kibler, of Corry, and
afterward attended the University of Wooster, O.,
taking a course in the medical department, where he
was graduated in the class of 1877. He then attended
the Western Reserve Medical College at Cleveland in
1881. In 1877 he engaged in practice at Findley's
Lake, N. Y., where he remained until 1891, when he
came to Corry, where he enjoys an extensive practice.
The Doctor was married in 1878 to Anna Peterson, of
Erie, Pa. Dr. Beebe was a registered pharmacist of
New York and Pennsylvania; he is a member of the
Masonic fraternity and the A. O. U. W. Dr. Beebe's
father, Lewis, was a son of Buckingham and Lavina
(Freeman) Beebe. He was born in Concord township,
Erie county, in 1825, and spent the most of his life in
Erie county, engaged in farming and cattle dealing
and handling real estate. He married Elizabeth
McCray, who was also a member of one of the pioneer
families of Erie county. To them were born four
children: F. A.; Mary E., now the wife of Dr. Stewart,
assistant State Microscopist and State Veterinary Sur-
geon, Kansas City, Mo.; Addie, wife of Frank Cro-
well, and Stella, wife of Oscar Marsh, superintendent of
public schools of Pottawattomie county, Iowa. He
died in 1878; his widow survives and resides in Con-
cord township. Buckingham Beebe came to Erie
county from Chenango county. New York, in 1820, and
was one of the first five settlers of Concord township.
He run a store at Columbus, and was also engaged m
the lumber business. He finally went to Huron, O.,
where he engaged in the hardware trade. He spent
the last few years of his life in Chautauqua county,
New York. He married Lavina Freeman, also a
native of New York. To them were born six children:
Lewis (deceased); Mary (deceased); John H., New



Aim niSTOBICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



11^



York; Flavrilla, wife of Frank Foster, Norwalk, O.;
Albert, Chautauqua county, New York.

J. Hanford Duke, manufacturer and bottler of
mineral and soda water, Corry, Pa., born December 25,
1868, is a son of Joseph and Emily (Reaser) Duke,
both natives of New York (where Hanford was born),
and are of English descent. His father died atWells-
ville, N. Y., December 25, 1884, and his mother now
resides at Corry. In the family there were two
children, J. Hanford and Myron J., who is with his
brother in Corry. Mr. Duke was educated at Phillips
Academy, Andover, Mass. In 1890 he came to Corry
for the benefit of his health, and shortly after pur-
chased the Corry mineral springs, of which he is now
proprietor. In 1892 he commenced the manufacture
and bottling of soft drinks, which bu: iness he has since
continued. He is also interested in the oil business in
West Virginia and Ohio. He was married September
3, 1893, to Adelia Dunham, and has one child, Joseph
Edward. Although not active in politics, Mr. Duke is
a thorough Republican.

Henry W. Thayer, physician and surgeon, Corry,
Pa., was born in St. Paul, Minn., May 10, 1859. He is
a son of Rev. Charles and Ellen (Southard) Thayer,
the former a native of Massachusetts, and the latter of
Kentucky. In the family there were three children,
the Doctor being the youngest. He was educated in
the public schools of Minnesota, attended the State
University of Minnesota three years, and the Univer-
sity of Wooster, O., and graduated in the class of 1879.
He was principal of the public schools of Canal Dover,



ng two
O. He



Medical College, in Cleveland, O. He then worked
in a civil engineering corps in Nebraska, Dakota and
Montana, from 1881 to 1884, when he went to the Rush
Medical College at Chicago, graduating in the class of
1886. After practicing a year in a hospital in May,
1888, he came to Corry and was associated three years
with Dr. Mackres, and in 1890 he began to practice
alone, and has since commanded a large and lucrative
practice. His skill and ability as a physician has re-
ceived a ready recognition from the Erie county pub-
lic. The doctor was married, July 14, 1887, to Miss
Elsie D. Stone, of Virginia, and to them have been
born three children: C. Harry, Charles Henry and
Helen. He is a member of the American Medical
Association, State Medical Society, president of the
Erie County Medical Society, member of the Ameri-
can Public Health Association, the American Medical
Academy and National Association of Railway Sur-
geons; he is affiliated with the K. of P., the I. O. O. F.
and K. O. T. M. Dr. Thayer is the surgeon of the
Sixteenth Regiment, N. G. P., with uniform rank of
first lieutenant on the colonel's staff. He was health
officer three years for the city of Corry, and was with-
out a doubt one of the most efficient health officers
Corry ever had. In politics the doctor is a Republican.

W. M. Durham, dealer in drugs, fancy goods and
stationary, 63 North Center street, Corry, Pa., is one of
the most progressive business men m Corry. He was
born at Bath, Steuben county, N. Y., January 7, 1841,
and is a son of William S. and Eliza A. Durham, both
deceased, natives of New York. Mr. Durham com-
menced life for himself teaching school in winter and
working on his brother's farm in summer, improving



his spare time in learning telegraphy. In 1860 he en-
tered the employ of the Erie R. R. Company as tele-
graph operator and agent, working at various offices
along the line. In 1865 he resigned and went to the
oil country of Pennsylvania, entering the employ of
the Western Union Telegraph Company, opening the
office at Pioneer, Pa., in January of that year; ticket
agent for the Oil Creek R. R. Company; agent six
years for the Union Express Company. He then went
to Fagundus, Warren county, Pa., and conducted a
general mercantile business (opening the Western
Union Telegraph office at the same time) for two
years, when his entire stock was destoyed by fire. Go-
ing to Grease City, Butler county, Pa., for two years,
he opened the Western Union Telegraph office, re-
maining two years through the oil excitement; he then
went to St. Joseph, Butler county, opening the West-
ern Union Telegraph office in a drug store, working at
telegraphing and the drug business; was again burned
out in 1890, after entering the general mercantile bus-
iness. Coming to Corry he engaged in his present bus-
iness. Mr. Durham was married July 4, 1867, to Miss
Nellie Olds, of Erie, Pa., and this union has been



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 153 of 192)