Copyright
Benjamin Whitman.

Nelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r online

. (page 154 of 192)
Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 154 of 192)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


blessed with three children, William L., bookkeeper
in the Climax Manufacturing Company; Minnie and
LeGrand M. He is a member of the K. of P., the
Methodist Episcopal Church and is a Prohibitionist.

Oliver D. Ski¬Ђner, grocer, Corry, Pa., was born
near the present site of Corry, February 26, 1832. He
was educated in the subscription schools of that day
and remained oi, his father's farm until 22 years of
age, when he went to California, remaining five years.
He returned to Corry, and was engaged in cattle deal-
ing and droving for twenty-five years. He conducted
the Oneida Meat Market one year, and in 1890, en-
gaged in the grocery business, which he has since suc-
cessfully managed at No. 4 East Washington street.
Mr. Skinner was married May 19, 1860, to Miss Eliza-
beth Bemis, of Columbus, Pa., and to them have been
born six children: Willis, drug salesman; Alline, at
home; Elmer, Oliver, Edwin and Roy, Corry. Joseph
Skinner was a native of Rhode Island in 1800, and
came to Chenango county. New York, with his parents,
where they both^died. In 1826 became to Erie county,
and settled on eighty acres of land, part of which lies
within the city limits of Corry, where he followed
farming and lumbering. He was married to Julia Da-
vis, also a native of Rhode Island. To them were
born eleven children: Charles (deceased), Mary Ann,
wife of Philo Stevens, Columbus; Morris, resident of
Kansas; Olive D., Juliette, wife of Solon Wilcox;
Honor, Mrs. Philo Wright (deceased); Catherine, wife
of Newton Wright, Chautauqua county, New York;
Alanson (deceased), Alice (deceased), and Marion (de-
ceased I. Joseph Skinner died in Corry, in 1849, and
his wife in 1880. This gentleman was the first perma-
nent settler in the city of Corry.

C. B. Kibler, M. D., Corry, Pa., was born in Bu-
cyrus, Crawford county, Ohio. He graduated with
honors from the medical department of the University
of Buffalo, in 1870, and soon afterward located in
Corry, where he has built up a very large practice.
He has been surgeon of the N. Y., P. & 0. R. R. for
over twenty years; a member of the board of educa-
tion for six years, and president of that body for five
years; he was sent as a delegate by the American



772



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY



Medical Association to the International Medical
Congress in Berlin in 1890, afterwards spending some
time in the hospitals of London, Paris, Berlin, Dres-
den, Munich and V'ienna. At present he is jiresident
of the Association of Erie Railway Surgeons, and a
member of the County, State and American Medical
Associations, the New York Medico-Legal Society, the
British Medical and the National Associations of Rail-
way Surgeons; treasurer of the American Academy
of Railway Surgeons. He is a surgeon of much more
than ordinary ability, and of wide reputation. He
lives in a beautiful home on the Park. The Doctor
was married in 1871, to Miss Kittie L., the accom-
plished daughter of Dr. J. M. Palmer, his preceptor,
of Corry. To them have been born three children:
Bertha C, Florence E. and John C.

N. P. Kilburn, jeweler, Corry, Pa., born in St.
Lawrence county, New York, October 28, 1828, is a
son of John M. and Hannah (Cook) Kilburn (de-
ceased), both natives of New York. When N. P. Kil-
burn was young his parents moved to Cattaraiigus
county. New York, where he received his early educa-
tion. When quite young he became an apprentice to
the jeweler's trade in Gowanda, N. Y., and in the fall
of 1856 he started in business for himself in Forest-
Ville, N. Y., and remained there four years, when he
went to Randolph, and in August, 1862, came to
Corry and engaged in business, and was the first jew-
eler in the town. In 1874 he sold his business out and
went on the road as a traveling salesman in the sew-
ing machine, needle and oil line six years, during
wfiich time he traveled in nearly every State in the
LInion. Mr. Kilburn has been twice married, first to
Miss Rebecca Nichols, of Cattaraugus county, New
York. She died in 1862, and he afterwards married
Miss Susan Owens, of Corry. To them were born
two children, George P., a graduate of Clark's Busi-
ness College, and lennie, who married Frank Mc-
Vaugh, a conductor' on the W. N. Y. & P. R. R. Mr.
Kilburn is a member of the I. O. O. F. and is a Re-
publican.

C H. Wetmore, treasurer of the Corry Gas and
Water Company Corry, Pa., was born in Warren De-
cember 2, 1859, and is a son of Charles and Rosalia
(Hall) Wetmore. He was reared in Warren, Pa., and
attended the public schools until he was 14 years old,
when he attended the Flushing School, Long Island,
and later took a course in the Yale law department
and graduated in the class of '83. He then came to
Corry and and was engaged in the Corry Pail Factory
until 1886, when he engaged in his present business.
He was married in 1884 to Miss L. Belle Squier, of
Corry. Mr. Wetmore is a member of the Masonic
order and is a Republican.

A. E. Weeks, proprietor of the Corry steam laun-
dry, Corry, Pa., is a native of Ohio, and was born Feb-
ruary 12, 1861, at Painesville, O. He is a son of Seth
and Debra A. (Blydenburg) Weeks, natives of Long
Island, now residents of Corry. His father was the
founder of the Corry fish hatchery and conducted it
many years as a private enterprise, when finally the
State purchased it from him, and it has since been
operated under the auspices of the Pennsylvania Fish
Commission. When A. E. Weeks was but 5 years old
his parents moved from their home in Ohio to Corry,



where they have since resided. Here he received his
education in the common schools, and when a youth
assisted his father in the fish hatchery. When about
22 years old he went to Garfield, Warren county, Pa.,
and engaged in the oakery business, after which he
was engaged in the bakery business at Bradford, Pa.
He then sold his business and returned to Corry, and
was employed in the Caligraph works until they moved
from Corry in 1885, when he engaged in the laundry
business, which he has since conducted with a marked
degree of success. His laundry occupies the base-
ment of Week's Opera House, on the corner of Wash-
ington and Park streets. Here he has one of the finest
laundries in western Pennsylvania. It is equipped
with all the modern machinery for laundry work, and
has several local agencies throughout northwestern
Pennsylvania and southwestern New York. From the
fact that the people of Corry have one of the best and
most modern opera houses in the country, they may
justly feel a sense of gratitude toward Mr. Weeks,
whose name that magnificent temple of amusement
bears. It was opened in February, 1892, having been
under construction during the preceding year. It is an
artistic building, possessing all the unique features of
modern opera house architecture. It is built of brick
with a frontage of 50 feet by 120 feet deep, and has a
seating capacity of nearly 1,000, has the best modern
system of ventilation, and is lighted by electricity. The
stage equipment would do credit to New York, the
scenes being operated on the drop plan, and they are of
great variety; the stage dimensions are 42 x 50 feet.
Corry is and may well be proud of her opera house. M r.
Weeks managed it the first season and then rented it
to Mr. White, who is the present manager. Mr. Weeks
was married May 22, 1887, to Miss May, daughter of
Oscar Black, a highly-respected citizen of Union City,
Pa. They have four children : Nettie, Clyde, Max and
George W'ilton. Mr. Weeks is a member of the K. of
P., and is a Republican. He is one of Corry's most
promising young business men.



Fred C. Hoenes, of the firm of Bowie & Hoenes,
gentlemen's furnishers and merchant tailors, corner of
Main and Center streets, Corry, Pa., was born in Titus-
ville. Pa., January 13, 1870, and is a son of Jacob and
Catherine (Smith) Hoenes, the former a native of Ger-
many and the latter of Erie, Pa. In the family there
were three children: Marie, resides in Corry; Theo-
dore and Fred C, also of Corry. Jacob Hoenes came
to America when a young man and spent most of his
days in Buffalo, N. Y., and Titusville, Pa. He died in
Titusville in 1881. Mrs. Hoenes afterwards married
and now resides on a farm near Corry. Fred was reared
in Titusville, and, until the age of 12, attended school
there. Hethen went toOlean, N. Y., asan apprentice at
the butcher's trade with his uncle. Here he remained
about two years when he came to Corry and took a
course in the Corry Business College, and shortly after
accepted a position as janitor of the Corry City Na-
tional Bank, and was promoted to discount and col-
lection clerk. When the bank failed, in 1892, he en-
gaged in the tobacco and cigar business. He con-
tinued in this line about one year, when the present
l)artnership was formed. He was married Septem-
ber 19, 1894, to Miss Jennie, the accomplished daugh-
ter of Maxwell Cameron, a [irominent citizen of Corry.
Mr. Hoenes is a member of the famous Crosby Hose
Company, a member of the running team and assistant




J.a^e'y^




AND HISTORICAL BEFERENGE BOOK OF EBIE GOUSTY.



773



foreman. He is a Democrat in politics. Although
young, Mr. Hoenes has established a business and
social reputation in his own city and locality that is
highly creditable.

Isaac B. Brown was born in Elk county, Febru-
ary 20, 1848. He entered the Union army as a private
soldier, in 1864, at the age of 16 years, and served in
the Third division, Ninth corps. Army of the Potomac,
until the close of the war, when he devoted one year
to study at Smethport Academy, and three years at
Alfred University, from which institution he was
graduated with the class of 1869. After graduating,
he taught school at Ridgeway, Elk county, and subse-
quently located in Corry, Erie county, where he com-
menced the study of law, and was admitted to prac-
tice in 1877. In 1878 he was nominated for Assembly
by the Republicans in the Second district of Erie
county, but was defeated by a combination of Demo-
crats and Greenbackers. In 1880 he was nominated
and elected. He served six years in the Assembly
of Pennsylvania, having been three times, success-
ively, chosen by the Republicans of the district. In
1886 he was a candidate against Hon. C. W. Mackey
and Hon. L. F. Watson for the congressional nomina-
tion in the district composed of Erie, Venango and
Warren counties, but was defeated. In 1887 he was
appointed deputy secretary of internal affairs by
Hon. Thomas J. Stewart, then secretary of internal
affairs, and in 1891 he was reappointed to the same
position. In 1894 he was prominently mentioned for
the nomination for secretary of internal affairs, but
withdrew before the Republican State convention was
held. In January, 1895, he was appointed by Governor
Hastings to the position of secretary of internal affairs
to fill the unexpired term of Thomas J. Stewart, who
had resigned to accept the appointment of adjutant
general of Pennsylvania. During the session of 1886
he introduced and secured the passage of the bill for
the establishment of the Pennsylvania Soldiers' and
and Sailors' Home at Erie, Pa. He hasbuen a prom-
inent member of the Grand Army of the Republic
since its organization, having served on the staff of
the commander-in-chief, and several times has been
elected delegate to the National Encampment. He
served thirteen years in the National Guard of Perin-
sylvania as second lieutenant and captain of the Six-
teenth and Seventeenth regiments and brigade judg:e
advocate of the staff of Gen. James A. Beaver. He is
now president of the Survivors' Association of the
Third Division, Ninth Corps, Army of the Potomac.
He and his brothers, Hon. J. L. Brown, of Elk county,
and Hon. W. W. Brown, of McKean county, were all
soldiers in the Union army, and have all been mem-
bers of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.
During the sessions of 1881 and 1883 he and his
brother, Hon. J. L. Brown, were colleagues in the Penn-
sylvania legislature, while their brother, Hon. W. W.
Brown, was a member of the National House of Rep-
resentatives. Mr. Brown is now deputy secretary of
internal affairs "and superintendent of the bureau of
railways of Pennsylvania.

John SiMtttz, Corry, Pa., is a native of French
Germany, and was born'in Alsace April 17, 1838. He
received his education in the land of his birth and at
the age of 13 came to America with his father, and
^fter remaining in Buffalo a short time came to War-



ren, Pa., where his father died. John learned the har-
ness-maker's trade at Warren and at the age of 20
engaged in the saddlery business at Ridgeway, Elk
county. Pa., and continued until 1866, when he came
to Corry and engaged in the same business until 1890,
and then turned the business over to his son, Walter,
and has since devoted his attention to the lumber
business in Warren county, Pennsylvania, and in West
Virginia. He has been more or less iliterested in
lumber traffic during the last ten years. He was
married December 27, 1859, to Harriet Ittel, of War-
ren, Pa. To this union were born two children:
Nettie H., who married A. L. Colegrove, of Corry, and
Walter, who is a prosperous harness merchant in
Corry. Mrs. Smutz departed this life in March, 1893.
Mr. Smutz was at one time elected justice of the peace,
but refused to take out his commission. He is a
Republican.

Edwin S. Seiter, of the firm of Mead & Seiter,
wholesale liquor dealers, Corry, Pa., was born in Cin-
cinnati, O., January 28, 1864. He is a son of Joseph
and Margaret (Tilfile) Seiter, both natives of Cincin-
nati. Mr. Scittr was educated in his native city and
conmuiiccil lilV .is a bookkeeper in a wholesale liquor
store , It I'mdl.iy. O., where he remained three years,
and went to Warren, Pa., as manager for Mr. Mead.
In 1887 he came to Corry in the same capacity for
three years, and in 1890 the present partnership was
formed. Mr. Seiter has the entire management of the
Corry business, and Mr. Mead continues his business
in Warren. They have four representatives on the
road, and their business extends throughout Pennsyl-
vania, Ohio and New York.

Captain John F. Austin, Corry, Pa., of the firm

of Austin & Mulkie, of the St. James Hotel, Corry, was
born in Buffalo, N. Y., June 29, 1863, and is a son of
John and Annie (Sadler) Austin, both njti\ cs .jf Lon-
don, England. They came to Anuin.i in 1^"'>'. In
the family there are six children, jolin 1:. 111- tlir third.
The family moved to Corry in 1863, wh.rc thr father
followed the trade of painting until his death, October
8, 1872. Mrs. Austin is now a resident of Omaha, Neb.
John was educated in the public schools of Corry, and
early in life began an apprenticeship at the printer's
trade in the office of the Corry Herald, where he was
employed nine years, and finally made foreman, which
position he resigned, and, in 1886, he entered a partner-
ship with L. F. Trimble, and they published the Corry
Herald one year. He then abandoned the busmess
and entered the employ of Clark & Warren, as super-
intendent of their barrelling and shipping department,
which position he held three years, when he was
appointed assistant postmaster of Corry. He resigned
this position June 1, 1893, to enter his present business,
and is now traveling representative of the Corry
Artesian Mineral Water Company. Mr. Austin was
married December 25, 1886, to Miss Henrietta Jenette,
daughter of Dr. Reuben Brinker, of Corry. They
have one child, Marie Belle. Mr. Austin enlisted in
Co. A, 17th Reg., N. G. P., as private, November 2.
1882, and at the'reorganization of the National Guard
was transferred to the 16th; was promoted to corporal
July 16, 1885; second lieutenant June 19, 1887; first
lieutenant September 14, 1889, and his commission as
captain was issued in 1893. Mr. Austin is foreman of
the Crosby Hose Company for the fifth term; was



774



NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL BICTIONART



chief engineer ot the city fire department one term,
and is a member of the K. of P. and the National
Union; he is an active Erie county Republican.

Gustavus A. Fox, owner and proprietor of the
European Hotel, Corry, Pa., was born in St. Mary's,
Elk county. Pa., December 24, 1863, and is a son of
George and Genevieve Fox, both natives of Wurtem-
berg, Germany. They came to America and settled
in St. Mary's. In the family there were seven children,
of whom Gustavus A. is the youngest. He was edu-
cated in the public schools of St. Mary's, and began
life as a steward in a hotel, aud November 22, 1885,
came to Corry and worked in the Phcenix Hotel until
April, 1893, when he purchased the European Hotel,
Nos. 8 and 10 East Main street, which he conducts on
both the American and European plan. He was
married May 23, 1893, to Annie, daughter of Jacob
Simmons, of Warren, Pa. Mr. Fox is a member of
the C. B. L., and politically is a Democrat.

Willis M, Weed, of the firm of Weed & Co.,
dealers in boots and shoes, was born in Havana, N. Y.,
May 6, 1859, and is a son of Joseph and Mary
(Mitchell) Weed. He received his education in the
public schools of New York State and the academy in
Havana, N. Y. In 1879 he entered the employ of J.
Richardson at Elmira, N. Y., as traveling salesman,
in the boot and shoe line, and traveled in the States of
New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois and Iowa. In
1886 he abandoned the road and engaged in business
with his twin brother, William J., under the firm name
of Weed Bros. They continued business until 1889,
when the present firm was formed. Mr. Weed was
married October 31, 1883, to Miss Eliza Fisher, of
Spencer, N. Y. He has been chief of the Corry fire
department two years, and is a prominent Republican
of Erie county.

Frank Laurie, proprietor of the Union Hotel and
restaurant, was born March 12, 1863, in Corry, Pa. He
is the son of A. and Elizabeth Laurie. His father died
in 1893, and his mother resides in Corry. Educated
in the public schools of Corry, he began life in the ho-
tel and restaurant business in Corry in 1886, and in
1890 came to his present place of business. Mr. Lau-
rie was married, in January, 1887, to Miss Mary Work-
man, of Corry. They have three children: Frank,
Annie and Ray. He is a member of the city council,
a director in the National Bank, of Corry, and is
largely interested in city real estate. He is a member
of the K. of P., K. O. T. M., the Elks, and in politics
is a Democrat.

E. R. Murray, of the firm of Hall & Murray,
dealers in groceries, dry goods, boots and shoes,
Corry, Pa., was born in Grand Rapids, Mich., August
27, 1864. He is the son of Ira S. and Emeline L. Mur-
ray, the former a native of Rutland, Vt., and the latter
of Medina, N. Y. The family came to Corry in 1869,
where they now reside. Mr. E. R. Murray was edu-
cated in the Corry high school, and in 1883 engaged in
his present business. He was married January 7, 1886,
to Miss Margaret, daughter of Chauncey Rogers, sr.,
of Corry. To them have been born two children,
Alice and Chauncey. Mr. Murray is a member of the
I. O. O. F., K. O. T. M., and he has served five years
as a member of Co. A., 16th Regt., N. G. P.



Henry Thurstou, manufacturer of cigars and
dealer in cigars and tobacco, Corry, Pa., is a repre-
sentative of one of the oldest families in the United
States. The first knowledge we have of the Thurstons
on this continent is the record of the arrival of John
Thurston, aged 36, and his wife, Margaret, aged 32, who
were passengers on the " Mary Ann " from Yarmouth,
England, which arrived in Massachusetts May 10,
1637. They brought with them two children, both sons.
John Thurston entered the church in Dedham, Mass.,
January 12, 1643, and became a freeman May 10 of
the same year. Henry Thurston is a descendant of
the eighth generation from John, through Joseph, Ben-
jamin, John, Israel, David, David to Henry. Branches
of this extensive family have settled in various por-
tions of the United States, but principally in the New
England States. The name Thurston is said to be de-
rived from the Saxon, Danish and Runic " Traest,"
meaning faithful, and is a very old name in England,
appearing in a slightly modified form in the Doomsday
Book. Henry Thurston is a son of David and Esther
(Stanbrook) Thurston, and was born in Black Ash (now
Mead township, Crawford county, Pa.), December 23,
1824. His father was also a native of the same place,
and followed farming in that locality all his life. His
mother was also a native of Pennsylvania, and of Hol-
land descent. She died May 10, 1836, leaving Henry,
who was the only child. His father afterward mar-
ried Abigail Spring, by whom he had six children, all
deceased. Henry received his education in the old-
style subscription schools that were in vogue in the
pioneer days of Crawford county, and remained on his
father's farm until 18 years of age, when he served an
apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade, which has been
the chief occupation of his life. He resided in the
vicinity of Meadville until 1876, when he came to
Corry, and has since made that city his home. In 1871
he entered the employ of the Oil Creek R. R. Company
as a carpenter, and in 1886 was appointed master car-
penter of the carpenter work on the road, which posi-
tion he held until the spring of 1894, when he resigned
and engaged in his present business. Mr. Thurston
was first married January 12, 1848, to Angeline Strayer,
of Crawford county, Pennsylvania. 'To this union
were born six children: Allen (deceased). Flora (Mrs.
Wilson Reynolds, Knoxville, N. Y.), Hattie (Mrs.
Emery Moyer, Conshohocken, Pa.), Crawford, butcher,
Spartansburg, Pa., and David (deceased ). M rs. Thurs-
ton died September 1, 1858. He afterwards married
Miss Adelia Dickson, of Crawford county, Pennsyl-
vania. They have six children: Asena (Mrs. Edgar
Northrup, of Warren, Pa.), Joseph E. (freight agent
for the W. N. Y. & P. R. R. Company, Oil City, Pa.).
Wave (Mrs. Mark Heath, Corry. Pa.), Mack (deceased).
Alena and Harry, at home. Mr. Thurston served one
term in the Corry city council, is a member of the
Masonic order, and his political leanings are toward
the Democratic party.

Charles T. Trimble, editor and proprietor of the
Saturday Democrat, Corry, Pa., was born in Westfield,
N. Y., July 20, 1865, and is a son of Wellington and
Luanna (Frink) Trimble, nativesof Ohio, now residents
of Pennsylvania. In the family there were three chil-
dren: L. F., job printer, Corry, Pa.; Adele and Charles
T. The latter was educated in the Corry public
school, and became, in 1880, a reporter for the Petro-
leum World of Titusville, Pa., for Corry. He next



AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY.



775



learned the printer's trade and followed job printing,
in connection with other business, until 1890, when he
assumed the management of the Salurday Democrat.

Andrew N. Weber, proprietor of the Hotel St.
Nicholas, Cot-ry, Pa., was born in Boston, Erie county,
N. v., and is the son of Frank and Bridget (Shingler)
Weber, natives of Baden-Baden, Germany. They
came to America at an early date and settled in Buf-
falo. He followed farming until the time of his death,
in 1877. His widow now resides in Buffalo. Andrew
was one of a family of eleven children: John B., Buf-
falo; Elizabeth, wife of J. H. NVeber, Buffalo; Frances,
wife of F. W. Frew, SpringviUe, N. Y.; Andrew N.,
Corry, Pa.; Anthony, Buffalo; Benedict, Buffalo;
Clemens, Buffalo; Mary, Mrs. Joseph Durfer; Frank,
Buffalo; Malinda, wife of John Fisher, Buffalo; Philip
D., Boston, N. Y. Andrew N. Weber was reared and
educated in Boston, and at the age of 18 began to
learn the tinner's trade in Buffalo. In 1868 he came
to Corry and followed his trade two years; then he en-
gaged in business for himself until 1878, when he went
to Columbus and engaged in the general hardware
business until 1882, when he came to Corry and pur-
chased the hotel of which he is now proprietor. He
was married, April 10, 1870, to Miss Kate Rieker, of
East Buffalo. To them were born eleven children:
Albert F., clerk in his father's hotel; Clifton A. (de-
ceased), Herman J., steward in hotel; Josephine (de-
ceased), Clementine (deceased), Gertrude, George,
Ida, Lizzie, Lucy and Paul. Mr. Weber has been a
life-long Democrat, and is a member of the C. M. B. A.

Thomas F. Oliver, of the firm of Oliver Bros.,
proprietors of the Phcenix Hotel, Corry, Pa., was born
in Dobbs' Ferry, near the city of New York, February
16,1866. He is a son of Thomas and Ellen (Long)
Oliver, who still reside in Dobbs' Ferry, N. Y. There
are six children: Lizzie, now Mrs. J. J. Murphey, of



Online LibraryBenjamin WhitmanNelson's biographical dictionary and historical reference book of Erie County, Pennsylvania : containing a condensed history of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the several cities, boroughs and townships in the county also portraits and biographies of the governor's since 1790, and of numerous r → online text (page 154 of 192)